Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Open Club  ·  139 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

On 8/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, dughlas said:

Thank you. Sadly, I must report that today's serving was the last of the quiche. I'd purchased it on Monday split it into thirds. A third for lunch Monday, a third before crashing on Tuesday and the last today. I forgot to mention it also contained shredded potato. It was very good. I'm sure you would have enjoyed it. 

We found a nice family restaurant had had quiche. It was in a small town in Vermont. We were talking to a family from Manhattan there - they just moved to Vermont - and the town they are living at is smaller (in population) than the apartment building they lived in. I said and I bet it is quieter than Manhattan. They laughed.

Dennis and I went and visited some places that we grew up at. Unfortunately some were gone. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, dughlas said:

I decided dinner should come early today. Sweet Italian sausage sauteed with fresh rapini then tossed with fresh raddiatore pasta and grated asiago.

Sounds delicious...we had a nice lobster dinner at Dennis and my favorite lobster shack...I mean if you go past it, you'd think it is abandoned, but it has great food.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, Marty said:

Hi, gang! :hug:

Can't stay long, but I thought I'd pop in quickly to share this image that myself and TN managed to capture yesterday on my travels not too far from home...

48490691191_431e4b75f6_o.jpg

Hide contents

Benwiskin Mountain

Viewed from the Gleniff Horseshoe Road, County Sligo, Ireland.

Standing 514 meters (1,686 feet) above sea level, with its stunning profile often likened to a breaking wave, this gem of a mountain lies at the northern end of a lengthy broad topped ridge forming one leg of the Gleniff horseshoe. Views from the summit are spectacular.

0:)

Beautiful picture, Marty...

• Like 4

On 8/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Glad to hear it, Dugh.   :hug:  As for your cousin, I'd wager he's probably in Grand Haven, which is a bit to the north of us, presently.

We ate at The Butler for lunch today. I had the maple bacon burger. Cheddar cheese, bacon, and crispy onion straws, with a maple-bacon glaze. Served on a pearl-sugar waffle, of all things. It was very tasty.   :D

Morgan had the same as me, Remy had a pub burger (beer cheese spread, bacon, and beer-steamed onions), and Rory had a lobster grilled cheese sandwich. Mickey had the Horseradish Peppercorn burger: Pepper Jack cheese, A1 steak sauce, bacon, lettuce, tomato, crispy onions, and a horseradish peppercorn sauce. Served on a pretzel bun. Remy said "You're not kissing me until you've brushed your teeth AND used mouthwash!"   :lol:

I guess the Butler did it!! 😀 We stopped at one of Connecticut's best known Hot dog places (one of many hot dog places) and it is an old Airstream made to look like a hot dog in a bun. Another place we went to was Dennis and my special ice cream place and the kids enjoyed the speciality of the house (a steamed hamburger). 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 8/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Page Scrawler said:

Yeah, it is. After dining out for breakfast and lunch today, I thought we'd have dinner at the house tonight. Grilled pork chops with salt-and-pepper roasted potatoes. We even had mac and cheese baked in a disposable aluminum pan.   :D

We did about 95% of cooking over campfires...but we showed the kids some of our favorite places and famous sites...Like Lois Lunch in New Haven, the home of the Hamburger. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 8/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, dughlas said:

Sounds good except for the tomato soup. Not fond of it. I had a friend who thought the height of campout cuisine was tomato soup with hot dogs, but the the hot dogs were "cooked" by boiling them in the soup. Not on my watch.

Tomato Soup is good....another and I got to find the recipe is Southern New England Clam Chowder...it has a pink hue and very tasty. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 8/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, aditus said:

I just finished the 14th and last chapter of Kabal, which is also the last chapter of the  TKM series! A little tweaking, betareading and editing, then I'm done. Okay, there's still the epilogue... LOL

I know that I was doing some writing during vacation. I hope, that nobody will be bored with Chapter 4, since it will have a few different Point of views. I know that soon my favorite series Castaway Hotel and the Mayfield baseball series will be ending...Mayfield is on Nifty and I first read Castaway on Nifty before I joined GA.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BabyXander1990 said:

How was your vacation, Page? We had a pleasant time back in our old hometown.  We enjoyed getting away from Florida and see the mountains and the delicious seafood and pizza...

Hey, Xander, Dennis, Jordan, and Ash!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  *waves to the foster kids* Still on vacation, until the end of the month. The lake is very relaxing, and the food is incredible. There's also a few galleries with handmade art, but a lot of that stuff is very pricey.   :)

Glad to hear you guys had fun. I've been to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg in Tennessee. The mountains are beautiful, and I saw Ripley's Museum of Believe-It-or-Not.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, Valkyrie said:

It's beautiful here.  It was sunny all day, but now there are some dark clouds moving in and the breeze has picked up.  It's in the low 70s, so absolutely perfect.  I actually have the windows open, which the cats love. 

That is one thing we miss about the Northeast, the weather. The lake that we went to was ice cold, but it was relaxing for a swim. Especially when Kipp and Jordan decided not to wear swimsuits.

Edited by BabyXander1990
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

We did about 95% of cooking over campfires...but we showed the kids some of our favorite places and famous sites...Like Lois Lunch in New Haven, the home of the Hamburger. 

I've heard of Louis Lunch. A hamburger patty grilled with salt and pepper, served between two slices of toasted bread, with some sliced onions. Absolutely no ketchup allowed!

The Saugatuck Drugstore Soda Fountain was also a nice fixture. Black and white checkerboard tiles, brushed silver barstools, and red upholstery....it was like stepping back into the 60's. Might have to stop there again before we go home.   :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BabyXander1990 said:

That is one thing we miss about the Northeast, the weather. The lake that we went to was ice cold, but it was relaxing for a swim. Especially when Kipp and Jordan decided not to wear swimsuits.

Yeah, I bet it was cold.   😀

• Like 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..