Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

43 minutes ago, Marty said:

Scofflaw... :huh:

Never come across that word before. I'm thinking it probably means she like to scoff at the law... :unsure2:

The term is strictly American coined in 1924 for those "lawless drinkers" during Prohibition. Now it can be applied to anyone who willfully disregards laws, i.e. exceeding the speed limit, ignoring mask mandates, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

oh wait you said there would be another challenge so it’s all good

It might not start until much later this year, though, when hopefully the camera club can meet in their usual meeting room instead of having to meet over Zoom...

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Marty said:

Week 51 of 52 monochrome photo (only one more week to go)...

51052889848_f0231b3929_c.jpg

It's a view through one of the ground floor doorways of the old stone cottage in my back garden. 

I tried something technically a wee bit different this week, and used what's known as "bracketing" - where several different shots, each using a different amount of exposure, are taken of the same scene, and then software used  to blend the different shots together.

The idea behind it is that some of the shots are exposed perfectly for the brighter parts of the shot (the outside wall of the cottage in this example), but underexposed (and therefore much too dark) for the darker parts (the room inside the doorway in this example). Conversely, other shots in the sequence may be exposed long enough to show the detail inside the doorway, but these would completely overexpose the outside wall, leaving it just a white expanse with no detail in it. The software uses AI (Artificial Intelligence) to analyse the different shots in the sequence, and then attempts to create one final image from them that reveals all the details - both in the darker areas and the lighter ones.

In this instance I took three shots. One at the exposure that the camera assumed to be the correct one for the overall light hitting the sensor, and then one overexposed by a full stop, followed by one underexposed by a full stop.

It might sound really technical, but it's really not too difficult in practice. :) 

Well you say it's not difficult, maybe because you had help from an artificial brain, but me, I'm a point and shoot guy.

Is that a bricked up doorway in the backwall?

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

It's another gray, chilly blustery day here. Currently 41/5° but with the wind factored it feels just above freezing. High temp forecast to be 54/12°, that's well below normal for this time of year. It has set my head and mum's knees to aching, bah. 

Hey, bro and Mum. :hug: Sunny and 3 degrees here. Supposed to get up to 11 C today. :D 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Marty said:

e907cb026b78a65848308ad42804e65d.jpg

At 09:37 UTC today the sun was perpendicular over the equator. This was the equinox, the moment when day and night will be exactly 12 hours each over the whole world. North of the equator this is the vernal (spring) equinox, and between now and midsummer's day the hours of daylight will be getting longer. In Britain the vernal equinox officially marks the first day of spring (unlike Ireland where St Bridget's day, on February 1st, is considered to be the first day of spring).

The equinox, the seasons, and the changing length of daylight hours throughout the year are all due to one fact: the earth spins on a tilted axis.

The tilt - possibly caused by a massive object hitting Earth billions of years ago - means that for half the year, the North Pole is pointed toward the sun. For the other half of the year, the South Pole gets more light. It’s what gives us seasons.

Happy equinox everybody!

63072233-hand-written-phrase-happy-equin

Happy Equinox, Marty. :hug: 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..