Open Club  ·  141 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

Just now, Drew Espinosa said:

Hi Terry! :hug: Sawasdee Khrup 🙏 And I did... speaking of, since Pagey and Clo don't want to be my court jesters, do you wanna take up the job? :P 

No Thank You Gus Cruikshank GIF by NETFLIX

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, spike382 said:

Team Building (which the author sadly took down) was one I used to reread once a year, and end up going to bed at like 3a.m.

What?! Oh no! I lovee that story and would read it regularly too. I was just thinking about it not long ago. Do you know if we can find it anywhere else? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

Tourists behind online trend vandalising Australia's national parks!

Over 100 rock cairns were discovered by rangers at Cania Gorge National Park. Source: Cathy Gatley / DES

Evidence of people creating rock stacks is rife on social media platforms. Source: Instagram

It's not really vandalism. It's common, at least in France, to find those little rock towers, when hiking. When you pass by one you can add your piece to the edifice. Though it's usually on the side of the path (kinda a pain in the ass move to have put them all over the path :gikkle:)

Edited by clochette
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

That is not how that park looked just as bad as spary paint!

Yeah exactly, and it’s just so bizarrely pointless.  I was a Boy Scout, and while it wasn’t my favorite thing, I always loved the campouts.  It was a thing to always leave where you hiked/camped as you found it.  

Also, why are almost all online trends so goddamn idiotic?

Edited by spike382
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, clochette said:

What?! Oh no! I lovee that story and would read it regularly too. I was just thinking about it not long ago. Do you know if we can find it anywhere else? 

Yeah it was maybe a year or two ago, I went to reread it and couldn’t find the story.  I went onto the forum and found out the author deleted his profile and took all his stories down.  Don’t know why exactly.  I’ve searched elsewhere, and even attempted to see if I could access on a way back version of GA, but to luck.

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, spike382 said:

Yeah it was maybe a year or two ago, I went to reread it and couldn’t find the story.  I went onto the forum and found out the author deleted his profile and took all his stories down.  Don’t know why exactly.  I’ve searched elsewhere, and even attempted to see if I could access on a way back version of GA, but to luck.

Too bad, it's sad when that happens 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, clochette said:

It's not really vandalism. It's common, at least in France, to find those little rock towers, when hiking. When you pass by one you can add your piece to the edifice. Though it's usually on the side of the path (kinda a pain in the ass move to have put them all over the path :gikkle:)

I've found a website explaining it https://www.envie-de-queyras.com/news/cairn-kairn-tas-pierre-monticule-amas-sentiers-rando

Here's the translation from google:

But what is the meaning of these heaps of stone that we observe on our paths?

These are marks left by previous hikers, making it possible to mark the path or materialize a peak, and thus make it possible to clearly identify the path.

How is the Cairn materialized, what form does it take?

They take the form of a heap/mound of stones in a pyramid, and are most often located in places where it is difficult to maintain a clearly demarcated path/path or paint markings (e.g. in scree, scree, or rocky passages).

Who builds and places cairns?

Each walker is thus encouraged to add his own stone (to the building), in order to enrich the beacon/marker.

The guides or staff in charge of trail maintenance also maintain these small piles of stones.

Etymology of the word Cairn

It would come from the Scottish word càrn, pile of stones affixed to materialize a burial or the top of the hills

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, clochette said:

Too bad, it's sad when that happens 

It really is.  I had quite a bit of nostalgia for that one as it was one being posted my first year on GA, and one of the first I got involved posting comments.  Really was a good story.  🤷🏼‍♂️

• Love 5

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..