Thanksgiving recipe ideas?

I was suppose to make apple pie for Thanksgiving with Jamie's family, but I found out that one of her nephews, well my nephew too, has type 1 diabetes, and I don't want to make something he won't be able to eat. 

Does anyone else know any, less sugary, recipes for Thanksgiving? D=

• Like 4

My family has a lot of type II diabetics, some on insulin,  and an uncle who had type I.  We do all our baking with Splenda, and while one or two do react to it, most do not.  We figure it was an allergic thing, and the elevated blood sugar was not related.  Be careful of fruits though - they are naturally high in sugars.

Oh, and it used to be approved for diabetics.

Edited by Kitt
to add
  • Like 4
55 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

I was suppose to make apple pie for Thanksgiving with Jamie's family, but I found out that one of her nephews, well my nephew too, has type 1 diabetes, and I don't want to make something he won't be able to eat. 

@Mikiesboy

Has a lot of diabetic-friendly recipes, and has posted pics of some of them in the old chat thread. He's shared recipes there as well. I know he makes an apple crisp a lot, for his husband Mike.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jamessavik said:

I may be dumb about diabetes but, I think if it's doesn't have sugar in it, it's basically OK. 

If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.  

sort of wrong ... it's carbohydrates that diabetics need to watch... sugar is a big one.. but bread, pasta, potatoes etc.,  there is more to it as well, such a the glycemic load of carbs .. how quickly the blood sugar is effected by them that matters too.  For example, oatmeal and barley are carbs, but they are good for diabetics because the load is lower than say, white bread. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

I bake and sweeten with splenda for Michael.  I made a pumpkin custard one year ... this year i made a paleo crust pumpkin pie,  .. cheese cake is lower in carbs .. and the almond crust is good.  .. I make plain cheesecake with splenda and add some lemon juice because it sort of dulls the aftertaste splenda can have. I prefer walmart's own 'splenda' it's less intense.  Yeah i make apple crisp with paleo flour, apples and splenda brown sugar and butter.  Diabetics can eat a lot of things but sweets and fruit they need to watch portion sizes.

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Splenda cheesecake sounds good, actually. 

i'll find the links for you for the almond crust.. hopefully no nut allergies

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/easy-low-carb-press-in-pie-crust/

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 4