Powerful World Building Tool - World Anvil

• Site Administrator

There is a powerful World Building Tool out there called World Anvil.  It is idea for creating a Science Fiction world and keeping track of the technologies you create, the timeline, everything else.  It can also attach to RPG elements from a ton of different systems, if you like to use that as a baseline for your work.

Check it out:

https://www.worldanvil.com/

There are also a lot of helpful videos on World Building.

• Love 4

I've used this before, once as a contributor to a friend's world, and once for my own. I recommend everyone should try it to see how it feels, as it's perfect to keep story worlds together.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I'm trying to get a good hold on worldanvil but it's too massive. For the mean time, I am using Scrivener to take note of everything while being able to easily access what I'm writing on.

But I do love to learn more about that site. It's still a good tool. Maximizing it is just a puzzle for now. :/

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I've been adding more and more to it as of late.  It's making it a lot easier for me to keep track of my two world development projects. (Psionic Corp Sci-fi world and King's Ranger Fantasy World)

I've also thought of a couple of plots for anthologies as I was entering character and family information.  It's kind of become a prompt source for me.

• Love 1
  • 4 months later...

This is really interesting. As you know, I’m not really a prolific writer, but I’ve been building a couple of stories the last few years, one of which is sci-fi in nature. A tool like this might be useful in helping to give that a more realistic shape and backdrop.

Riley

• Like 3

I've recently started using World Anvil. I have a speculative science-fiction-ish story I'm working on, and World Anvil really helped me kick start it. I find the 'character sheets' especially useful. Since it has so many different boxes you can fill in, it prompts me to think about those things, and it's really helped me develop my characters. The timelines are also super useful. Considered paying for a subscription, but it's a little too expensive for me currently, and as long as I'm only working on this one world I have no need of it, at least not yet, as I only have about 35 articles or so as of yet.

• Site Administrator
On 1/30/2020 at 10:08 PM, Brayon said:

How World Anvil been treating you lately?

I some how missed this... Slowly but surely. I'm building both my Psionic Corp world and King's Ranger world to keep all the stories in my head straight.  when I get things where I want them, I'll make it public and share a link.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

I've been banging away at categorizing my world, including getting my timeline straightened out.  It's important since I'm writing across a large time frame and I want to keep stuff consistent without having to retcon something in.

Draft timeline...

image.png

• Love 1
  • Site Administrator

I may or may not be working on my King's Ranger's world as well...

image.png

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, Superpride said:

fandom.wikia.com

Now, that they renamed themselves to "FANDOM", the subdomain would have been fun 🤔

On 2/1/2020 at 2:03 AM, Thorn Wilde said:

Since it has so many different boxes you can fill in

That's actually a problem with many solutions, I'm kinda conflicted about, as it is slightly overwhelming.

On 12/26/2018 at 2:46 PM, Myr said:

Check it out:

Holy cow! This is huge! I am working on something similar, yet way less complex as a module of another software, but well, no way to compete with this. One of my in-progress unpublished stories is a Ken-Follett-esque (Ken Follett ordered on Wish, essentially) but as gay fiction. While huge, decade-spanning worldbuilding is usually not required in my other stories, this might be the one, I might give World Anvil a try for 🤔

Edited by Zuri
plural
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I gave it a try, and it has indeed pretty much to offer, however, when you want to create more than two worlds (which, I suppose, isn't that seldom) or want your stuff to be private (because, why not?), they want money. I'm not against paying for a valuable tool per se, but this feels a little coercing/like pay to win.