Invisible comment section?

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

I have heard the site has upgraded recently and still might have a few bugs. For me, the comment section of a chapter is completely blank unless I highlight it. Is it one of the bugs that are in the works of being fixed or is it just me?

Since the upgreade on my computer (MacBook) in the Comments section at the end of each chapter, no messages appear. The space is there along with the name of the person making the comment, but the area below that is blank – no text of the Comment at all. Yes, I do read comments just out of curiosity and interest in what other readers may want to say about the chapter, but I am frustrated by the missing text. This has only occured after the upgrade.

Mister Will

• Site Administrator

I'm not experiencing that on my my various browsers.

Try clearing your cache in your browser to make sure you don't have a corrupted file in there.  Does the problem still exist after clearing cache and reloading the site?

If it does not, can you capture a screenshot of the problem and provide a link to a story where you are experiencing the issue?

1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

I'm experiencing the same issue. The story comment I just made isn't visible.

https://gayauthors.org/story/cia/ancalagon/21#comment-460150

I'm seeing your comment, @drpaladin

Just to be precise, the comment I am seeing reads:

"I think Bouncer has smelled Essell's scent on Garjah and thinks they are mates, therefore Garjah is another parent. This is really funny."

[Using Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome]

• Site Administrator
  • Solution
9 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I'm experiencing the same issue. The story comment I just made isn't visible.

https://gayauthors.org/story/cia/ancalagon/21#comment-460150

I'm seeing as well as @Marty

Try clearing your cache in your browser.

• Site Moderator
1 minute ago, Marty said:

"I think Bouncer has smelled Essell's scent on Garjah and thinks they are mates, therefore Garjah is another parent. This is really funny."

Yes, I went incognito in Chrome as a guest and can see it, but it also is showing it as being edited which I believe should not be seen.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
2 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Yes, I went incognito in Chrome as a guest and can see it, but it also is showing it as being edited which I believe should not be seen.

sounds like a browser cache issue for the visability thing.

as for editing, no, "silent editing" is turned off so it shows edits for everyone.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

It's also shown has having been edited for me.

Just out of interest, regarding the advice about clearing ones cache, I found recently (on another site that I am involved with) that clearing cache doesn't necessarily always immediately solve this sort of problem. On that particular site, where incorrect links had been corrected, my main browser still showed the incorrect links for several days, even after I had completely cleared my (Chrome) browser cache, even though the new links were showing when I used Chrome on another PC that I had never visited the site on before.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Marty said:

On that particular site, where incorrect links had been corrected, my main browser still showed the incorrect links for several days

Entirely depends on how site is configured. Gay Authors has our important files on the site only and not cached at other locations.  so clearing the cache on your browser forces the browser to grab a new copy from GA

• Like 3
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, Myr said:

sounds like a browser cache issue for the visability thing.

as for editing, no, "silent editing" is turned off so it shows edits for everyone.

I cleared only my GA cookies and it fixed it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marty said:

I'm seeing the same comment as Marty using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with Google Chrome 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
54 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I'm seeing the same comment as Marty using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with Google Chrome 

Probably the issue arises with those like me who are essentially on GA all the time. I almost always have one or more tabs open.

• Site Administrator

Probably the issue arises with those like me who are essentially on GA all the time. I almost always have one or more tabs open.

Possible. I do a force refresh (usually ctrl-F5) fairly regularly as habit.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Myr said:

Possible. I do a force refresh (usually ctrl-F5) fairly regularly as habit.

I just had to clear again to see new comments on that story. This is going to be a PITA if I have to do this constantly. It's only happening in story comments, not anywhere else.

• Site Administrator

I just had to clear again to see new comments on that story. This is going to be a PITA if I have to do this constantly. It's only happening in story comments, not anywhere else.

I have asked the programmer to look into this.

• Like 1

I am having no problems seeing any comments.  Both my phone and desktop computer are having no problems.  Using Chrome and Edge as browsers on desktop, and Chrome on phone (Android operating system).  

• Site Moderator
11 hours ago, Myr said:

I have asked the programmer to look into this.

Just an update. This looks like a background color vs print color issue (black on black or white on white depending on which theme is selected) in the comment area. The print is rendéring in the same color as the background.

Edited by drpaladin