Sci-fi Tropes

• 1 year later...
  • Site Administrator
16 hours ago, Page Scrawler said:

I think #11 was the plot to Passengers.... 😆

the exact plot, yes.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a 1997 movie called Starship Troopers starring Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards.  There was a mini-series also of the same name but with different actors.  The movie was decent for the low budget and very limited screen length time allotted for it to run.

• Like 1

Van Dien  was quite the hunk in those days, and the shower scene was a treat.  But Juan Rico, he was not.  As a stand-alone, the movie was okay; as a rendering of Heinlein's story, it was way off base.

I sometimes wonder if Harris had a chance to tap Van Dien's ass, though.  Certainly makes a good fantasy.

11 minutes ago, BigBen said:

Van Dien  was quite the hunk in those days, and the shower scene was a treat.  But Juan Rico, he was not.  As a stand-alone, the movie was okay; as a rendering of Heinlein's story, it was way off base.

I sometimes wonder if Harris had a chance to tap Van Dien's ass, though.  Certainly makes a good fantasy.

I heard that the writer for the film read part of the first chapter of Heinlein's book, then just skipped through it, or possibly read an outline.  There were definitely enough wrong plots in the movie that one just had to ignore the book, to get almost any enjoyment from the movie.  
The movie Watchmen, on the other hand, got complaints on at least two main counts that I am aware of -- Complaint One:  That Dr. Manhattan's penis was too large compared to the character in the graphic novel.  (Frankly, I thought the character in the graphic novel had an undersized peanut of a penis.)  Complain Two: That the movie followed the graphic novel TOO closely -- that dialogue which looks good on paper does not always flow well when spoken.  Somewhere, there are (or at least were) YouTube videos  complaining in detail about both of the complaints I mentioned.

Frankly, I think male frontal nudity in movies is under-represented.

Myself, I have no complaints about Dr. Manhattan's penis, lol!  Nor did I have any problems with the dialogue.

And you are entirely right about male frontal nudity being extremely underrepresented in the movies, except possibly in the movies on Xhamster. 😄

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 1
On 3/16/2022 at 12:17 AM, ReaderPaul said:

Frankly, I think male frontal nudity in movies is under-represented.

3 hours ago, BigBen said:

And you are entirely right about male frontal nudity being extremely underrepresented

It's not Sci-Fi, but HBO Max has a new series called Minx which is about the beginnings of a Playgirl type of magazine. I've watched the first two episodes and it's not bad. Also, lots and lots of penises on lots and lots of unattractive men in the beginning though reportedly of the prosthetic kind -- the auditioning men become more attractive as the new magazine finds its legs.

• Fingers Crossed 1
  • 2 years later...
On 2/15/2021 at 7:52 AM, Talo Segura said:

Chekhov’s Egg is like Chekhov’s Gun but directed by Ridley Scott. If you introduce an alien egg to the story it must hatch and eat someone by the third act.

r/CuratedTumblr - schrodinger and co.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:48 PM, Myr said:

It looks like a Star Trek episode guide....

Well …

Chekov's Gun | Into The Dungeon Wiki | Fandom

• Haha 2