am i the only one who checks for updates obsessively? i guess so.

anyway, i'm excited. is anyone else excited? i'm really excited. it's looking really good right now. the moment they got out of the bank i was totally ready to freak. i keep thinking what if something happens before 0900?! anyway, i won't say any more. sooo excited. curse you, dk! you're way worse than dom. i loved you first, you know. shhh, tell no one. ^_^

I liked how DK has portrayed the House workers and the interplay between them. There is so much here for him to work with story-wise and he just keeps adding to the pile. I

Anyone else looking forward to some punnishment for Tremere?

:devil:

ME!!! That blasted Tremere! :angry::angry:

I was sooooo happy to found out that Garrett's family never abandon him. When he went into the bank and spoke to her mother's hologram, I was smiling and feeling happy. then.....

I have a bad-bad feeling about Tremere. What do you think he'd demand? Garrett's inheritance? (so he couldn't value himself) his service to Tremere against Lars? Or worse?

Y'know, when I read about how Garrett's life was turning for the best at the bank, I smiled and think: wow. things are looking good....but so early in the story? Ah well, Garrett's been wronged anyway.

Well, things aren't looking good. Especially witht hat feeling Garrett been having.

But I like this story because it's soooo...realistic portrayal of life in another planet, republic or solar system. Prolly the only one rather unrealistic is that Jordanism. LOL! Anyway, LUV the feelings exchanged among the clones. how Garrett build himself a new life and settle for it.

Which is kinda surprising. If I were him I might not taking such turn-for-the-worse like him. He....accepted and thrived. Like he said, he simply let go of his dreams.

Because of Tremere!!!! Grrr......I really want to see him tortured, but that's many chapters ahead I hope :P Cuz I like reading this story.

Cheers & be well,

RAD

am i the only one who checks for updates obsessively? i guess so.

anyway, i'm excited. is anyone else excited? i'm really excited. it's looking really good right now. the moment they got out of the bank i was totally ready to freak. i keep thinking what if something happens before 0900?! anyway, i won't say any more. sooo excited. curse you, dk! you're way worse than dom. i loved you first, you know. shhh, tell no one. ^_^

4:19 AM? No wonder you spot these first! :great:

I'm definitly excited over this new story. It's already gone in a far different direction than I'd anticipated (due to the Lars family situation in Ch 2)

I liked how DK has portrayed the House workers and the interplay between them. There is so much here for him to work with story-wise and he just keeps adding to the pile. I
... Prolly the only one rather unrealistic is that Jordanism. ...

I've long felt that is what it would take to unite the planet - one common religion. As it has been said many times, there has been more blood spilt in the wars resulting from religious differences than all other conflicts combined. Look at the on-going conflict between Palestine and Israel that has raged for decades. It makes you wonder if they even remember what the fighting is about.

In this story, the conflict is started when the Prophet of the Sol Empire announces a "holy war" on the infidels of the Republic and SOL forces move into Republic-occupied territory on their common border. I have a feeling that religion will be weaved throughout the fabric of this story.

4:19 AM? No wonder you spot these first!

Keep in mind, the board translates the time it displays to your time zone.

I've long felt that is what it would take to unite the planet - one common religion. As it has been said many times, there has been more blood spilt in the wars resulting from religious differences than all other conflicts combined. Look at the on-going conflict between Palestine and Israel that has raged for decades. It makes you wonder if they even remember what the fighting is about.

Or Northern Ireland, where the conflict is still simmering, or a host of other places with religious feuds dating back centuries.

I see your point, but IMHO a better solution would be to fore all religions to recognize the fact that belief is an individual matter, and cannot be forced, in total or in part, on others.

The idea of any religion, extant or hypothetical, being global (and thus mandatory) scares the heck out of me.

I wonder if we will get a glimpse of life under the prophet in future chapters of DoH?

Keep in mind, the board translates the time it displays to your time zone.

Good point, I didn't know that... Thanks!

One thing that struck me about the Pleasure House, was what DK did NOT do: Make it one long, tacky sexcapade and nothing else.

:angry::angry::angry:

Exactly what is wrong with a long tacky sexcapade???

Obviously, you've never been in one! Are you trying to give us goats a good name? :P

Hugs,

Conner :boy:

Ok,

What dose Gospedene mean. I tried to look it up but no luck. At first I thought it was Garret's first name but that dosen't work unless Gospedene Tremere and he share a name. So I assume it is a title of some sort. I was just wondering if it special connotation beyond just Mr or Miss that I didn't pick up on.

Rick

Ok,

What dose Gospedene mean. I tried to look it up but no luck. At first I thought it was Garret's first name but that dosen't work unless Gospedene Tremere and he share a name. So I assume it is a title of some sort. I was just wondering if it special connotation beyond just Mr or Miss that I didn't pick up on.

Rick

Gospodin is the Slavic term (Russian, Bulgarian, etc.) for "Mister," a polite term of address, with last name.

DK has studied Russian (and you'll note all the Russian language and references in "Do Over," particularly in the scenes with the Rushes), and is obviously drawing on that experience to come up with a term of address foreign and strange enough to set some people wondering.

--Rigel

(Great start to the story, by the way.)

What dose Gospedene mean.
Gospodin is the Slavic term (Russian, Bulgarian, etc.) for "Mister," a polite term of address, with last name.

Rigel is correct when he surmised DK's origin for the term. When I asked him about that specific term in the email where I returned the edited version to him, this was his reply:

Gospedene/a is a bastardized version of the Russian Mr./Mrs. Very bastardized at that...but I thought it would add 'flavor' to the story to use an alternative form of Mr/Mrs.

You can expect to find more new vocabulary words in subsequent chapters. All the ones I've seen so far are pretty obvious what they mean. I'm sure most readers picked up that lomex is a type of material that Pleasure Workers tend to favor for their clothing.

I wonder if we should start a topic for new words DK introduces in each chapter? :read:

:angry::angry::angry:

Exactly what is wrong with a long tacky sexcapade???

Obviously, you've never been in one! Are you trying to give us goats a good name? :P

Howdy, Goat!

What? Me, give Goats a good name? Nah, no fear of that with you around as a counter-example! ROFL!

:P:P:P

DK has studied Russian (and you'll note all the Russian language and references in "Do Over," particularly in the scenes with the Rushes), and is obviously drawing on that experience to come up with a term of address foreign and strange enough to set some people wondering.

I recall reading some comments by Robert H. Heinlein quite a few years ago, where he gave an example of using incongruous words to that effect. His example was "the door dilated." I know this isn't quite the same thing, but it's what it reminded me of.

Rigel is correct when he surmised DK's origin for the term. When I asked him about that specific term in the email where I returned the edited version to him, this was his reply:

You can expect to find more new vocabulary words in subsequent chapters. All the ones I've seen so far are pretty obvious what they mean. I'm sure most readers picked up that lomex is a type of material that Pleasure Workers tend to favor for their clothes.

I wonder if we should start a topic for new words DK introduces in each chapter? :read:

That sounds like a good idea!!!!

OK, so far, we have Lomex and Gospodin, and I think others that I can't recall offhand...

Gospodene.....I keep forgetting that Dan's supposed to be able to speak Russian 0:) And he's right! :P It does add a flavor to the story. In German it'd be Herr Garret Lars. But perhaps the Herr should be bastardized ? :lol:

Cheers & be well,

Rad

Anyone have any predictions for chapter 3?

My guess is that we don't get to meet Billy just yet. Something will go wrong with the "family reunion", delaying it for a while... My hunch is that it will have something to do with Demi's contract being bought by Tremaine.

Anyone have any predictions for chapter 3?

I do! I do! I do!

The Great Swami predicts

The chapter will get posted this weekend

and

you are going to get more answers and have more questions.

Thus predicts the Great Swami...

sorry C James, couldn't resist :*) <--- and I got to use another emoticon too :thumbup:

I do! I do! I do!

The Great Swami predicts

The chapter will get posted this weekend

and

you are going to get more answers and have more questions.

Thus predicts the Great Swami...

sorry C James, couldn't resist :*) <--- and I got to use another emoticon too :thumbup:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose this is my comeuppance for predicting that DIR 15 would contain words? :P

BUT, I really, really like your prediction that a new chapter will get posted this weekend! :great:

Given that DK is traveling, I had my doubts on that. (and, of course, if you happen to be wrong, you know I'll never let you live it down, right? :P )

Given that DK is traveling, I had my doubts on that. (and, of course, if you happen to be wrong, you know I'll never let you live it down, right? :P )

but but but I swear he posted somewhere that he'd arranged for it to get posted while he was gone - I just can't find the post now... If it doesn't happen, its not my fault :(

but but but I swear he posted somewhere that he'd arranged for it to get posted while he was gone - I just can't find the post now... If it doesn't happen, its not my fault :(

The Great Swami speaks the truth.

Saw that post also.

BUT, I really, really like your prediction that a new chapter will get posted this weekend! :great:

But, Emoe, how can you say that? Isn't everything, by definition, your fault? :P

The Great Swami speaks the truth.

Saw that post also.

We shall have to keep an eye out tomorrow! This is a win-win situation! If DK's arrangements work, we get a new chapter of DoH! If they don't, we get something to blame Emoe for! Yep, it's all good! :P

Yes, Yes, chapter 3 is being posted on Friday... Here's the Post which Emoe started himself :P

Well, no wonder he can't remember it! :lmao::P

OK, so, a new chapter tomorrow... Any predictions?

My guess is that we don't get to meet Billy just yet. Something will go wrong with the "family reunion", delaying it for a while... My hunch is that it will have something to do with Demi's contract being bought by Tremaine.

Hmmmm... I'll even go way out on a limb here and predict that the next chapter will be called "Chapter 3".