• Site Administrator

I enjoyed the chapter, to Dan's surprise.

I see the potential of it all. :)

And I like the ship. hehe

Hi DK. WOW :D

You are just in time ! I like it. I'm amazed by the technical descriptions and the military style. The story goes on with the same tempo as the former chapters, and we can imagine what happened between. In each chapter, you bring new actors (the crew, Blashame, Anova) and their characters let us hope new conflict situations, enough to make us impatient to wait till next Friday.

Thanks for the entertainment .

I wish you a good weekend and a lot of time to write the next chapters. :great:

Old Bob

Dang Philistine! First again?! I think you're liking this story!

I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying the story so far. The response has been such (even the long discussion about electrical outlets) that I'm thinking I might post an extra chapter next week (probably Tuesday). Things speed up over the next two chapter and I don't really want to leave y'all with a cliffhanger for more than a few days.

(If I was really as evil as some people make me out to be, I'd post the next chapter and refuse to post Chapter Seven until everyone had gone to my main story page and voted for me on the Gay Authors Top Sites banner. Or, I'd tell Dio that I'm tired of waiting for another chapter of Broken Pegasus Wings - which I'm enjoying a lot - and that I won't post another chapter of Dreams until Chapter 6 of Pegasus Wings is online. Fortunately, I'm really a nice guy at heart and won't do either of those things - although another week without a new chapter of Pegasus Wings might change my mind.)

:blink: Jeez Phil, first again! And you are on Pacific Time, well done! :great:

Now get some sleep :P

sleep is for the weak!!! :P

Dang Philistine! First again?! I think you're liking this story!

I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying the story so far. The response has been such (even the long discussion about electrical outlets) that I'm thinking I might post an extra chapter next week (probably Tuesday). Things speed up over the next two chapter and I don't really want to leave y'all with a cliffhanger for more than a few days.

of course i'm liking it. there's almost nothing you've written that i didn't like. you know what i was doing to pass the time while i was waiting for the update? rereading mists of fate. :P

anyways, awaiting tuesday anxiously. keep up the great writing. :hug:

I liked this chapter the best so far! I love the shipboard "feel", and even though it's 3am I had to comment I'll post more in detail Saturday, after I sleep.

The FTL system is fascinating! I also liked the exposition of the risks faced by shipping, which at least partially explains Garret's desire for heavily armed ships. (I have a hunch that he might have other motives, too). :great::great:

Philistine, WOW!! First again! :great:

I don't know how you do it.

I liked this chapter the best so far! I love the shipboard "feel", and even though it's 3am I had to comment I'll post more in detail Saturday, after I sleep.

The FTL system is fascinating! I also liked the exposition of the risks faced by shipping, which at least partially explains Garret's desire for heavily armed ships. (I have a hunch that he might have other motives, too). :great::great:

Philistine, WOW!! First again! :great:

I don't know how you do it.

I'm glad you liked the FTL system...I spent a good many hours figuring out how I wanted it to work, what its limitations were, and all that crap. I'm not a scientist so I don't expect it to bear any real connection to reality...but I also wanted it to operate by a set of consistent rules...believe it or not using consistent rules for things in Sci-Fi generally make the story better...

As for the weapons...piracy is still a problem in our world today. There are many choke-points on the world's waterways that provide perfect conditions for modern day pirates. They usually use small to medium-sized speedboats armed with machine guns and rocket launchers. If you remember, they got really bad off of Somalia recently and the US Navy had to go in and actually fight some gun battles with them.

The most common areas to find pirates these days are off the coast of Africa, the Malacca straights (Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia), and the Carribbean.

When they Somali pirates attacked an American cruise ship, the ship fought back with a sonic cannon (and yes that's for real).

I'm glad you liked the FTL system...I spent a good many hours figuring out how I wanted it to work, what its limitations were, and all that crap. I'm not a scientist so I don't expect it to bear any real connection to reality...but I also wanted it to operate by a set of consistent rules...believe it or not using consistent rules for things in Sci-Fi generally make the story better...

IMHO, and certainly for my own taste, an internally consistent set of rules are absolutely critical for sci-fi.

That was one of the things that made the DO series one of my all-time favorites (of any genre), but I now think I like DoH even more. :great:

I liked your FTL concept, a lot. I also liked the way you presented it. BTW I was very glad that you included an inertial damper, otherwise accelerating to 1/2 C in a short period of time would have have left the passengers and crew as a fine, undifferentiated red smear on the aft bulkheads. I've seen that detail overlooked by a many top sci-fi writers. I also really liked the fact that your FTL system HAS limitations: the ships can't simply jump away at the first sign of trouble.

One other thing I feel the need to comment on: the mirrored finish of the ship. That's spectacular imagery, as it gives the ship such a unique and spectacular look in my mind (and would probably be very useful in an a space environment, especially in battle). What a combination of beauty and capability! :2thumbs:

As for the weapons...piracy is still a problem in our world today. There are many choke-points on the world's waterways that provide perfect conditions for modern day pirates. They usually use small to medium-sized speedboats armed with machine guns and rocket launchers. If you remember, they got really bad off of Somalia recently and the US Navy had to go in and actually fight some gun battles with them.

The most common areas to find pirates these days are off the coast of Africa, the Malacca straights (Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia), and the Carribbean.

Last time I was on the Indian Ocean coast of Thailand, there were some major incidents in that (straits of Malaca) area, including two sailing yachts that disappeared without a trace. There was also a very recent incident where a tanker was seized, then released, and it appeared as it if was a "dry run" for seizing a tanker. There was much debate as to whether the motive was piracy, or terrorism. Very scary stuff.

In space, I could well see how the piracy situation could be even worse. It looks to me like Garret and his crew are in for a very interesting time of it!

When they Somali pirates attacked an American cruise ship, the ship fought back with a sonic cannon (and yes that's for real).

That is indeed for real. A friend of mine was aboard when it happened, so I got to hear about it from a first-hand point of view as well as in the press. They took both machine gun (probably AK's) and RPG fire, and the pirated did try and board. That ship was darn lucky! The long range acoustic device (sonic cannon) merely incapacitates somewhat, and would have been useless had the pirates gotten men aboard. They were also lucky that the pirates didn't think to aim the RPG's at the waterline or the bridge. A ship like that can take a huge hole just about anywhere, but several small ones in adjoining watertight compartments would sink it. They would have had to choose between surrender or being sunk. I also found it very strange that the press never speculated on what the pirates were after: was this piracy, or a terrorist attack?

BTW, IMHO, and the opinion of my freind, the cruise line was insane: They, after the incident, mentioned to the press that their ships carried the sonic device in lieu of firearms. Mentioning that (the lack of guns) was IMHO nuts, under the circumstances (they still do cruises in that area).

But, back to Garret: it sounds to me like any pirate going after his ships is in for one heck of a surprise! :devil:

But, back to Garret: it sounds to me like any pirate going after his ships is in for one heck of a surprise! :devil:

Hee hee hee hee - OH YEAH! :read:

Emoe - Be quiet. I haven't released chapter 8 yet...

Errr, WHAT? You mean that Garret didn't acquire a fleet of awesome ships and head for pirate-infested space, to just sit around polishing knobs for the rest of the story? He might actually see pirates? :blink::blink:

I'm shocked, shocked, I tell ya!!! :P

Seriously, I'm really looking forward to Ch 7... This is even more addictive then the DO series!!!

Seriously, I'm really looking forward to Ch 7... This is even more addictive then the DO series!!!

CJ - I'm looking forward to Ch 6. Are you planning on skipping it? :P

And I love this series too! I've always been a big fan of space type shows. Dan's detailed descriptions really let you may a mental image of the ship and the background. :2thumbs:

CJ - I'm looking forward to Ch 6. Are you planning on skipping it? :P

Oops!

Well, Vic, I'm really, really bad at math... That's why I'm still making all these posts, trying desperately to get to 5 so I can read the sneak-peeks forum...

And I love this series too! I've always been a big fan of space type shows. Dan's detailed descriptions really let you may a mental image of the ship and the background. :2thumbs:

I never thought anything could surpass DO in my favorites list... But DoH has.

The build-up and setting has been great! Not just the design and "feel" of the ships, but how DK got us here.

I've got a hunch that the next couple of chapters will show us a lot more of the setting, but whatever they are, I can't wait! (But, point taken, I will read them in order! :lmao: )

Emoe - Be quiet. I haven't released chapter 8 yet...

Now look who's spilling the beans!!! I never said a chapter number. And if you went right to that chpater, they'd miss all the fun of getting there!

:mace: :battleaxe: :chris: :axeman: :sword: :2hands: :ranger: :fire:

This is Garret's staff ready for battle against the pirates!

(Look, C James, I got to use a bunch more emoticon!)

Now look who's spilling the beans!!! I never said a chapter number. And if you went right to that chpater, they'd miss all the fun of getting there!

If you two leak any more info, Garret's ship is gonna sink and they will all drown! (and that's not easy, for a spaceship!) :P

(Just kidding!)

:mace: :battleaxe: :chris: :axeman: :sword: :2hands: :ranger: :fire:

This is Garret's staff ready for battle against the pirates!

(Look, C James, I got to use a bunch more emoticon!)

Ummmm, Emoe, don't look now, but I think Garret's crew has been infiltrated! :chris:

Looks like a Pirate to me! :P

I just hope that DK doesn't go for a stereotypical pirate ship... Somehow, a 3-masted 18th century sailing ship just wouldn't feel right for a space battle... But that's just me... :P

WHO HAS BEEN LEAKING CHAPTERS TO C JAMES?

Psssst... It was Emoe who told me the part where Garret's Ship is attacked by the 3-masted 18th century sailing schooner that was laying in wait in an Asteroid belt... But don't tell him I told you so...

But, I have a science nit-pick for you, DK... Just how, exactly, can they be heard singing "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" while they and their ship are in the vacuum of space, sans spacesuits?

The fact that he knew Garret's ship crashes after the pirate battle and sinks into the oceans of Luminos is quite revealing! Heads will roll!

Emoe, I hope you like short haircuts; really, really short. Such as neck level. :devil:

I was overly tired when I read Ch 5 the first time, but I've finally had chance to re-read it. I liked it even better the second time!

as private corporations took the lead in space exploration from bloated governmental space agencies.

I REALLY liked this part! The ref to Virgin Space was great, too!

From a literary point of view, I thought that using Garret's speech to the passengers to expound and explain about the ship and its FTL drive and the accelerator was brilliant!

No one who could afford to wear denim would buy one poorly tailored.

That, to me, was a very effective way of helping to establish the future sense, and it's very different reality.