Signatures

Marty

I haven't added a signature to my posts yet...

However, I'm wondering what other people consider to be the optimal size for a signature.

I notice that some people use a signature that takes up rather a lot of space. Indeed at times the signature is so big that when they write a short post I often think to begin with that the signature is part of the post itself (if you know what I mean).

Thoughts, anyone?

For a while, my own signature asked "When is a signature like this too big?" Although the question was intended be rhetorical, it did attract a functional response from EMoe57. As a reader with no responsibilities within GA, I try to stay well within this guideline. Some of the really big signatures you've seen may belong to members with duties to administer or moderate.

Just my $0.02. :P

km

I haven't added a signature to my posts yet...

However, I'm wondering what other people consider to be the optimal size for a signature.

I notice that some people use a signature that takes up rather a lot of space. Indeed at times the signature is so big that when they write a short post I often think to begin with that the signature is part of the post itself (if you know what I mean).

Thoughts, anyone?

I have no idea what optimal would be. Mine, certainly, is often on the large side as I use it mainly to advertise projects and events around GA (though I did add my own story :*) ).

I'd love to hear what people have to say on this issue.

Edited by C James

I have no idea what optimal would be. Mine, certainly, is often on the large side as I use it mainly to advertise projects and events around GA (though I did add my own story :*) ).

I'd love to hear what people have to say on this issue.

I'd have to say almost the exact same thing as you, CJ :P:boy:

I think a signature should express your tastes and personality. I find relevant quotes and song lyrics to be among some of the best material for quotes (even if that is a "done"). As long as you don't post anything offensive it's unlikely anyone will complain :) .

take care all,

Kevin

I think a signature should express your tastes and personality. I find relevant quotes and song lyrics to be among some of the best material for quotes (even if that is a "done"). As long as you don't post anything offensive it's unlikely anyone will complain :) .

take care all,

Kevin

Totally agreed, and I think it's great when a person's sig reflects their personality :2thumbs:

Or, even better, when it quotes them. 0:)

:unsure:

I have NO idea what you could mean 0:)

**looks for ways to pay off the goat!** :boy:

Don't worry Kevin, if I ever did add that quote to my siggy, no one would ever see it due to me almost never posting. 0:)

• Site Administrator

I've noticed....

I also noticed that it's two of the quieter members who have decided to break their silence with posts in this thread :D

Seriously, I would personally object to a signature that includes large graphic files, as some members are still on dial-up and they can take some time to download (yes, they'll get cached, but some members also like to clear their cache regularly).

If I had to put a figure on it, for MOST people, a ten-line signature is more than enough. However, there are always special cases when I've found twenty-line signatures to be reasonable. More than anything, it's the content of that signature that determines if the signature is too big or not.

My opinion only, of course....

I've noticed....

I also noticed that it's two of the quieter members who have decided to break their silence with posts in this thread :D

Graeme, don't tell anyone, but I'll let you in on a secret: Kevin really isn't all that quiet; he does post quite often. He might even be a postaholic in denial. 0:)

Seriously, I would personally object to a signature that includes large graphic files, as some members are still on dial-up and they can take some time to download (yes, they'll get cached, but some members also like to clear their cache regularly).

If I had to put a figure on it, for MOST people, a ten-line signature is more than enough. However, there are always special cases when I've found twenty-line signatures to be reasonable. More than anything, it's the content of that signature that determines if the signature is too big or not.

My opinion only, of course....

I'm NOT speaking as a moderator here, just a user offering his personal opinion, but I agree. I've reduced the font size on mine, and in my case the graphic is a GA tag that will already be in the cache once anyone views a post of any member of the writer support team. I need to have it there as I'm on two different teams, and it's fairly small, and needed due to me using my sig for team projects.

Peronally, I like the smaller sigs, and I'm more inclined to read them, but that's just me.

Hmmm... CJ, did you make your sig smaller?

My first story No Shirt? No Problem! Please rate it :-)

For some odd reason I thought that that was bigger just yeaterday... :P

I guess that my sig is kind of big... but it just shows how great I think Vance is. :P

Kurt :D

Hmmm... CJ, did you make your sig smaller?

For some odd reason I thought that that was bigger just yeaterday... :P

I guess that my sig is kind of big... but it just shows how great I think Vance is. :P

Kurt :D

I'm busted! :D

Yep, I knocked the font size down by one. :D

I changed the font size on mine until I felt that it was reasonable. But I use mine to promote one of my favorite Authors and the Tag is exactly what is on the Shared Host Site. I am not very good with sizing and stuff so I leave it to just one author. I hope that mine is not over the edge but I have had no complaints either.

David :2thumbs:

Yeah, my sig is probably almost too big but...I like it too much! *rofl* I only relatively recently added the second image as a link because that story is just way too good...and the graphic perfectly states what can happen when you click it :P And the one with my name is just....too me :P

Yeah....both images are at 30K so they shouldn't take long to show up even on dialup. *shrug* Should only take a few seconds for each, tops, so one would hope it's not a problem :)

Too bad I can't use CSS in my signature, then I could properly align the things and make it smaller, vertically, at least :P

Still, for those using only text, a few lines is not bad at all - that obviously takes next to no time at all to load, and generally isn't too large....unless you blow up the font too much heh.

• Site Administrator

30K isn't large. I hope I didn't come over as complaining about anyone's signatures. I was talking generally without anyone in mind at the time.

30K isn't large. I hope I didn't come over as complaining about anyone's signatures. I was talking generally without anyone in mind at the time.

Same here, I wasn't thinking of anyone in particular. Well, with the possible exception of mine when I had the Scavenger Hunt banner up. :boy:

Nah, didn't think you were singling me or anyone else out, was just stating about my own signature and how it relates to the original question...in that, I don't see those as being "too big" hehe :hug:

A forum site I used to hang out on limited signature size to about 2 1/2 inches high--except for special occasions when certain things needed to be displayed in the sigs.

• 1 month later...
I have no idea what optimal would be. Mine, certainly, is often on the large side... [snip]

:whistle: Having just revisitied this topic, and studied some of the replies, I can't help thinking we have a number of size queens in GA :blink:

~ Marty ~

LOL....yup I think you are right Marty.

I don't think I've seen anyone's sig be over the top. I basically agree with Graeme...it depends on the content. So as long as it isn't massively excessive and useless...then show off who you are and what you like at GA. That is until one of the admin team tells you to cut it down :P

Greg

Here's the code I used for mine:

[size=2]No matter what they tell us
No matter what they do
No matter what they teach us
What we believe is true
[color=#FF0000][b]I don't want to be tolerated. I want to be accepted![/b][/color][/size]

And you can see what it looks like below. I didn't like the tiny default size.

Colin :boy: