[NickolasJames8] What's The Difference Between Me And You? Ch. 5

Jim is full of surprises.

At times he is the best father one can wish for, but sometimes he acts as if he regrets having a son. In this chapter, when he snapped at Nick for answering his phone, Jim lost a lot of points from me. He obviously doesn

Good points, Michael. I think much of that just shows how human Jim is. Everyone has pet-peeves and things that set them off, yet often they regret snapping at people. I think also that as you pointed out Nick must have found it difficult to tiptoe around not knowing what mood or reaction he would be faced with; however, at the same time I think that's a fairly normal part of being a child that age. What I mean is at that age it's difficult to always KNOW what will tick off a parent or teacher. It's hard to know whether your actions will make them mad, leave them indifferent, or even elicit positve attention. I remember being a child about that age and stopping up the toilet with a huge ball of toilet paper. Upon reflection at this stage in my life it's obvious why that didn't go over so well; however, at the time I was just "creating stuff" (the ball of toilet paper which I painstankingly took the time to "pack" and make as tight and firm as I could) and previous attempts at creativity and craftmanship had been met with approval. Anyway I guess what my point is is that at an older age it's easier to reason out "I don't want to 'catch' this adult doing something 'bad' because they'll be embarrassed and get angry and defensive" or "I just know that this person hates it when I do X (answer his cell phone for example)", but as a young kid you don't always reason that stuff out and as a result anger often seems more arbitrary.

I do agree with you though that this particular behaviour was inappropriate and I think you're right that he may have been seeking a better environment in VA.

Have a great day all!

Kevin