Your avatar and you

MMandM

For the most part, all of us have chosen an avatar to pictorially represent us on this site. Why did you pick the avatar, which you now have? Is there any psychological significance to your choice of an avatar?

Was your choice really only made in good fun, or is there some secret meaning to your choice?

Psychologists frequently tell us, that we as humans, are what we wear on our bodies. Are you what your avatar portrays on your computer screen? 0:)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current avatar is from the movie Gorgo

Most of the time my avatar represents something of me. My last one was a kitten with a pirate hat (which Ben made for me a long time ago). The kitten was because I am a cat person and at the time had tons of kittens running around my house. I sometimes use a picture of my eye as my avatar, when I am in a mood to reveal my soul to the world. I also have some photos I have taken that I have used (a beach sunset and the Snake River). I tend to use those when I am feeling like having people see what I see. *laughs* Yes, I do give my avatar that much thought.

Very often, however, I will use pictures of movie monsters. I am a fan of older monster movies. The monsters were so much more innocent then.

• Site Administrator

I like to use Australian animals as avatars, and usually photos I've taken myself. It gives me some individuality while still preserving a degree of anonymity.

Mine's hot. The previous one was also a gay kiss, but it was much less erotic. I believe the previous one had been taken at some sort of gay pride parade, as there was rainbow paraphanelia in it. This one is clearly more erotic in nature and more or less represents me such that I have become more open and wild with my friends (my female best friend has commented several times that I have changed since high school, and I tend to agree... I like to make dirty comments every now and then :devil: ). I think this avatar also serves as a representation of something that I quite possibly will never have the opportunity to experience. Although I have become more wild and open, I am no less introverted and I cower in fear at the prospect of becoming more than friends with someone. I have talked with a couple people over MSN on more than one occasion (all from this site, as these conversations deal with orientation as well) about boys that I had a thing for. It has been suggested that I test the waters with this one boy by means of simple prolonged eye contact (which I think sometimes he tries himself...), and I just can't help it but smile and avert my eyes when ANYONE looks at me without speaking to me.

*sigh* I've simply listed myself as utterly hopeless and rely on avatars such as this to show me what it is that I am missing out on.

As a side note, I have thought about changing my avatar to one that gives rememberence to the VT victims, as I have done on my two main automotive forums, but I feel that it is sufficient as is. I kind of think of this website as a window into an alternate life that I COULD have, but I don't see it as ever happening... strictly because of social fears, and I don't want tragedies to shift its focus.

My avatar is of one of my hero's. I love Moe, Well, I love the Simpsons, But Moe is the best. He is fugly, Quick to judge, Likes to shoot first and ask questions later, And he serves one of my favorite drinks---Beer!! Basically, It's me in cartoon form. I'm fugly. I like beer. I like shotguns. I act first, And ask questions later, If it's still an option. O, And he calls things as he see's them. What more can you ask of an avatar, Or a cartoon character?

Ok, It's late and I'm sober. Time for beer, Then bed.

PS--rknapp, Your avatar is definitely hot!!!

That is all.

Edited by I luv Dom

• Site Moderator

My avatar comes from one of my favorite roller coasters, The Talon, The Grip of Fear, at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom in Allentown Pa. The picture show one of the trains going thru the helix fanile.

Jan

My avatar comes from some holidays I spent a few years ago in "la Guadeloupe". To stay at the beach, nice friends, good food. Its my best memories. I was with my daughter, the last time she was in good health, just before AIDS won.

My avatar comes from some holidays I spent a few years ago in "la Guadeloupe". To stay at the beach, nice friends, good food. Its my best memories. I was with my daughter, the last time she was in good health, just before AIDS won.

I'm sorry to hear that old bob, a parent should never have to bury a child... it's just doesn't seem right. :hug:

I used my "Breathing" Yin-Yang avatar because I'm all about balance. I have to admit I'm considering altering it and creating a new Avatar, but one hasn't stood out to me yet. I'll probable have to pay someone to create the one I want though.

I'm sorry to hear that old bob, a parent should never have to bury a child... it's just doesn't seem right.

Hey Bardeara,

Thanks for your words. She got the plague 1984 (she was 35 years old), fought 19 years, got tired of it (too many pills !) and let it go peacefully in 2003, with family and friends around her. It was her choice and we agreed. It remains the memories and the avatar is part of it.

My avatar comes from one of my favorite roller coasters, The Talon, The Grip of Fear, at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom in Allentown Pa. The picture show one of the trains going thru the helix fanile.

Jan

You know, it's been too long since I've gone to Dorney. I should go again, just to hit up that ride.

My avatar is my son Justin who was killed by a drunk driver. It will be three years this June 13th. The drunk driver was my ex-wife who had a few cocktails at home but had promised to take Justin to the local dairy queen for an ice cream; just two miles down the street, she ran a stop sign and was broad sided by an SUV. She was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence and was only sentenced to three years.

• Site Administrator
My avatar is my son Justin who was killed by a drunk driver. It will be three years this June 13th. The drunk driver was my ex-wife who had a few cocktails at home but had promised to take Justin to the local dairy queen for an ice cream; just two miles down the street, she ran a stop sign and was broad sided by an SUV. She was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence and was only sentenced to three years.

Justin would have been between my two boys in age. :hug: I'm so, so sorry....

My avatar is a pirate, made by Benny (BoyNeedsTherapy) a while back, then I modified it,a nd added the rainbows.

I guess it represents that I can get is to some mischief once in a while.

I love my avatar!

Kurt :D

I picked my avatar because it looks like me. Except for the hair color, mine is auburn (brownish red). If I had enough time (read: wasn't so lazy) I'd go into Photoshop and change my avatar's hair color so it would be closer to mine. But, like a typical teen: Whatever.

OK, CJ fixed the hair color on my avatar and it looks like me. Thank you, thank you, CJ! :worship:

Colin :boy:

Aww, reading this made me tear up... :hug:

Krista

I picked my avatar because it looks like me. Except for the hair color, mine is auburn (brownish red). If I had enough time (read: wasn't so lazy) I'd go into Photoshop and change my avatar's hair color so it would be closer to mine. But, like a typical teen: Whatever.

The picture also represents an AWESOME Anime. I <3 Cowboy Bebop!

I don't have a Frank Proffitt-style fretless banjo like the one in my avatar, but I couldn't find a good picture of a Dobson-style minstrel banjo like the one I own (c. 1880s). Its sort of silly anyway, because if you ever catch me performing, I'm generally singing a cappella, with no instrument in my hands. But it's almost impossible to illustrate the naked human voice. So there's a banjo instead.

It's sort of like the story of the guy who sees a pawnbroker's symbol outside a shop and goes in to pawn his saxophone. Inside the shop, he discovers that it's not a pawnbroker's place at all, but rather the office of a mohel--the Jewish rabbi who specializes in circumcisions. "But, Rabbi," he asks, "why do you have a pawnbroker's sign outside your office if you're not a pawnbroker?" And the Rabbi responds, "Nu, so what should I put in my window?"

--Rigel

The Beast from the X-men has been a long time favorite of mine. I relate to him because he is big and could be quite dangerous but is actually cultured, smart and quite gentle.

beast_avv3.jpg

I started out with the X-men Generations Beast. I love the smirk.

X3-Beast.jpg

When I heard that Kelsey Grammer was going to be the Beast in the X3 movie, I thought that I was going to hate it. It turned out to be my favorite Beast yet.

Another avatar that I occasionally us is Wiley Coyote. He too is smart and technically adept but has really bad luck. He makes up for the bad luck by never quitting and being physically very tough.

Wiley.gif

Honorable Mentions:

Doh.jpg

Barney.jpg

snowball.jpg

Who doesn't love the Simpson's? Here are Homer, Barney and Snowball.

calvin1.jpg

hobbes1.gif

Calvin and Hobbes are old favorites.

grr2.gif

Grr is cool even if his head is full of lose nuts and bolts!

X3-Angel.jpg

Angel is hot!

Eh, my avatar is nothing all that special. I just thought it was pretty, but it is getting old.. lol. So I'll probably be searching for a different one when I get bored. :)

Krista

The picture also represents an AWESOME Anime. I <3 Cowboy Bebop!

Dang, you discovered where I "borrowed" my avatar! :devil:

Rknapp, yours has always been very eye-catching. Where did it come from, though? It looks like something from a movie.

I like jamessavik's Angel one, too.

In the past I've had Erasure, The Ark, and something from the Gakuen Heaven anime. I don't even know which anime my current one is from. Maybe someone can tell me.