Jump to content

drpaladin

Site Moderator
  • Posts

    26,338
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by drpaladin

  1. Not everyone in France was thrilled with the burdens of Napoleon's imperial ambitions as evidenced by the fisherman during Calvert's escape. In this time, the greatest danger of wounds beyond the physical injuries they inflicted was infection by detritus pushed into the wound. Since no infection has appeared yet, Calvert's luck is holding. I wonder if this protection detail will remain peaceful or some of these contingencies Granger is preparing for will arise? The clearing of uncertainty between Granger and Calvert will ease their relationship along nicely.
  2. In Elementary School, everyone exchanged Valentines. It was universal. It became more discriminating later.
  3. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    Strip mining. They (the company) wouldn't kill people, at least not in the US. However, outside the country was different.
  4. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    It wasn't for insurance money. He got $10k per house and did fifteen there.
  5. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    I remember an arsonist telling me a story about being hired to burn a house and having to do it three times. The first two times the busybody across the road called the fire department and they put it out. Before the third time, he burned her house.
  6. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    No. It's always worked well for me. It's all in the execution.
  7. I Inherited a fondness for pranks.
  8. There was once a group of counterculturists, followers of Ken Kesey, known as The Merry Pranksters. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Pranksters
  9. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    I'd already mentioned this.
  10. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    You assume they would have to resume a normal height, but it's not the case. Even without using their ability, you can lose several inches in height with a combination of dipping the head and slumping. Luella doesn't strike me as a type to easily sympathize with.
  11. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    I've spent my life making people in 'power' positions do what I want. My mother taught me well. A city clerk is small potatoes in the scheme of things.
  12. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    As fast as teenagers seem to grow, I can't see Devin just going ahead and changing his height being a problem. If anyone did notice, he could say it was simply a change in his posture. I have a feeling they'll end up needing to do something about the busybody next door at some point. Personally, I'm for gaslighting her. If everyone thinks she's nuts, nobody will pay attention to anything she says.
  13. Thinking of sartorial, I recently read an article praising Cary Grant's grey suit in North By Northwest as the greatest suit in movies. I can't dispute it. Despite being made in the 1950's, the suit is classic and timeless. Grant went to his own Savile Row tailor at Kilgour, French, and Stanbury to have the suit made. This one suit is the basis for James Bond's wardrobe. The suit looked very familiar. I went looking through my clothes, and there it was; inside the jacket was the Kilgour, French, and Stanbury label. It was made many years later, but it was the same style and color suit.
  14. Considering my 'closet' now encompasses five rooms, you could say sartorial style interests me too much.
  15. It comes from the Latin sartor, meaning tailor.
  16. Sartorial has been in use since the time of Beau Brummell. As the arbiter of 19th Century men's fashion in Britain, the word likely passed his lips more than once.
  17. drpaladin

    Chapter 13

    Cuzon and his group will make good patrol members. Even Thiljon was surprising. I'm curious about what the chest holds to have such protection.
  18. Ursine is not always a complementary description.
  19. This reminded me of the scene in License to Kill where Sanchez (Robert Davi) puts Krest (Anthony Zerbe) in a decompression chamber. Splat. It's hard to have a triad of two.
  20. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    In case anyone has forgotten, this was the preamble to the story.
  21. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    From what we've seen from Micco's memories, his family's killers were very human and there was nothing supernatural about it.
  22. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    Well, this isn't The X-Files and Chase would be offended by being compared to Scully.
  23. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    For people trained to carry guns, being confronted by something immune to gunfire is the embodiment of nightmares and it's not too uncommon to have them. I never have, but I've known people who've suffered from them.
  24. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    It's impossible to have any pity for Martina. She felt she deserved the money and despite what she said about no one was supposed to get hurt, she was willing to do anything to get it. Explaing Long Ears in an official report would be career suicide. I imagine the details will be massaged. I doubt Martina will be found alive.
  25. Yes, writing is hard work, especially if you pour your heart and soul into it.
×
×
  • Create New...