Jump to content

drpaladin

Site Moderator
  • Posts

    26,331
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by drpaladin

  1. There was once a group of counterculturists, followers of Ken Kesey, known as The Merry Pranksters. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Pranksters
  2. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    I'd already mentioned this.
  3. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    You assume they would have to resume a normal height, but it's not the case. Even without using their ability, you can lose several inches in height with a combination of dipping the head and slumping. Luella doesn't strike me as a type to easily sympathize with.
  4. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    I've spent my life making people in 'power' positions do what I want. My mother taught me well. A city clerk is small potatoes in the scheme of things.
  5. drpaladin

    Chapter 3 S2

    As fast as teenagers seem to grow, I can't see Devin just going ahead and changing his height being a problem. If anyone did notice, he could say it was simply a change in his posture. I have a feeling they'll end up needing to do something about the busybody next door at some point. Personally, I'm for gaslighting her. If everyone thinks she's nuts, nobody will pay attention to anything she says.
  6. Thinking of sartorial, I recently read an article praising Cary Grant's grey suit in North By Northwest as the greatest suit in movies. I can't dispute it. Despite being made in the 1950's, the suit is classic and timeless. Grant went to his own Savile Row tailor at Kilgour, French, and Stanbury to have the suit made. This one suit is the basis for James Bond's wardrobe. The suit looked very familiar. I went looking through my clothes, and there it was; inside the jacket was the Kilgour, French, and Stanbury label. It was made many years later, but it was the same style and color suit.
  7. Considering my 'closet' now encompasses five rooms, you could say sartorial style interests me too much.
  8. It comes from the Latin sartor, meaning tailor.
  9. Sartorial has been in use since the time of Beau Brummell. As the arbiter of 19th Century men's fashion in Britain, the word likely passed his lips more than once.
  10. drpaladin

    Chapter 13

    Cuzon and his group will make good patrol members. Even Thiljon was surprising. I'm curious about what the chest holds to have such protection.
  11. Ursine is not always a complementary description.
  12. This reminded me of the scene in License to Kill where Sanchez (Robert Davi) puts Krest (Anthony Zerbe) in a decompression chamber. Splat. It's hard to have a triad of two.
  13. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    In case anyone has forgotten, this was the preamble to the story.
  14. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    From what we've seen from Micco's memories, his family's killers were very human and there was nothing supernatural about it.
  15. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    Well, this isn't The X-Files and Chase would be offended by being compared to Scully.
  16. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    For people trained to carry guns, being confronted by something immune to gunfire is the embodiment of nightmares and it's not too uncommon to have them. I never have, but I've known people who've suffered from them.
  17. drpaladin

    Chapter 21

    It's impossible to have any pity for Martina. She felt she deserved the money and despite what she said about no one was supposed to get hurt, she was willing to do anything to get it. Explaing Long Ears in an official report would be career suicide. I imagine the details will be massaged. I doubt Martina will be found alive.
  18. Yes, writing is hard work, especially if you pour your heart and soul into it.
  19. There is an old saw which says everyone has a novel in them. If it came to fruition, all would be novelists.
  20. The Allies cracking of the German's Enigma coding machine was one of WWII's biggest secrets and remained secret long after the war as a number of countries used the machines for secret messages, unknowing they were perfectly clear to both MI6 and the CIA.
  21. drpaladin

    Chapter 3

    ...I was little more than a plant with feelings. This really struck me as a sad observation on River's view of himself. He has a delicate zone to set up in order to be able to function and work. There is no way he's going out. LOL I wonder where they'll go?
  22. drpaladin

    Calvert Escapes

    Granger has given his king the thrill of being in combat without risk. It's a priceless gift. George III's father, George II, was the last English monarch to lead an army on the battlefield. Calvert seems to have a talent for close calls. The story of his escape should be a good one.
  23. drpaladin

    HMS Endymion

    The Endymion is a lovely ship and the transfer has gone smoothly with some familiar faces on-board. It would be nice if this posting was more than temporary.
  24. Hard tack is basically a cracker and if the recipe is followed, it can be edible for 100+ years.
  25. drpaladin

    The Summons

    I know. I'll get to it.
×
×
  • Create New...