Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 13. Live Show

Chipper spent most of the summer in New York City and was unable to connect with Greg Nalbo. Not that he was interested in meeting with the man. The way he looked at Bliss and at Chipper, the impression was of a lascivious predator. Chipper could not shake the feeling any interaction might be dangerous.

He and the other remaining contestants were back in Los Angeles by the end of September. They gathered at the by-then familiar Universal Studio’s soundstage to watch the show’s season premiere.

The next day, he met with Adam. “Ready to work?”

“Definitely. I have the list of potential songs you asked for.”

Adam perused the sheet of paper and nodded. “Not bad. One of these you can’t do. I’m planning on it for the Team Adam performance.” He turned the list around to point at one of the songs. “I think I want you to do this one first. We want to hook viewers with a razzle-dazzle performance. If we get them to become fans early on, they’ll support you throughout subsequent rounds.”

“Umm, okay. Can I do this one after?” The tune Chipper wanted to perform was a slower one. “I love the song, I know it well, and I think it would be nice to show a more emotional side.”

“I’m not entirely sure about it. However, if you really want to, I can live with it. Maybe have you start off at the piano?” Adam looked lost in thought while scratching his beard. “Okay, this one third. It’ll be cool to have you sing an upbeat tune in Spanish. This one for the finale.

“I hear they’re flying you to Miami for a concert. I want you to perform all of these. When you return, we’ll look at the tapes and see where we stand.”

 

With several weeks of prerecorded shows in the can, contestants returned to their hometowns for public appearances once their place in the competition was public knowledge.

“HELLOOO, MIAMI!” The audience loudly returned Chipper’s greeting. “It’s great to be back at The U.” The crowd around the outdoor stage in front of the student union roared. “In case you haven’t heard, this Cane’s a contestant on The Voice. I want to make UM proud and I need your help. Once the live shows start, I want you all to vote for me.”

His confidence boosted by the enthusiastic response, Chipper returned to Los Angeles, immersing himself in rehearsals. Some contestants would not advance sufficiently to perform all the selected numbers. Chipper was confident he would be in the final four. A positive mental attitude was essential.

 

“What the hell’s that for?” Chipper had allowed his hair to grow over the prior year; he planned on wearing it tied back for the performance but needed a trim to prevent loose strands from flying around.

He had removed his t-shirt when one of the show’s hair stylists asked him to as he sat in the barber’s chair. The man stared at the clippers in his hand. “This? I need to trim your chest before we shave it.”

“Hell, no! You’re not trimming or shaving me.”

“Don’t be such a baby. We do it all the time. I already waxed the other guys going on stage with you.”

Chipper was adamant. “I don’t care about the others. I’m keeping my fur.”

“But the girls like

“Dude, what decade you living in? Haven’t you noticed longer hair, full beards, and hairy chests are in for my generation?”

 

Ambient light revealed robed figures facing away from the audience. Seconds after music exploded from on-stage speakers, Chipper raised an arm with his hand spread open and shouted “Stop!” The rousing sound of violin strings came to a halt. “Wrong track.” The deception he had worked out with the sound engineer.

Swiftly, a different melody was heard, stage lights shone, and everyone on stage turned. Chipper stood in the middle flanked by four robed figures. Behind them, half-a-dozen individuals swayed and clapped to the new beat.

Snapping his fingers and strutting forward, Chipper sang the opening lines of Justin Timberlake’s “Can’t Stop The Feeling” while the four dancers mirrored his moves a step behind.

The choreography was simple but the moves were flawless. A minute into the performance, as Chipper and the choir alternated the same refrain he and the men dancing with him dropped the robes. The tempo increased, and the audience roared its approval.

All five wore skintight, black, stretch jeans. The shirtless dancers displayed rock-hard smooth chests and abs while Chipper’s hairy torso was partially covered by a beaded, black vest. The production embraced Adam’s suggestion of a razzle-dazzle performance to hook viewers and turn them into fans.

The wireless microphone attached to the earphones allowed Chipper to move freely about the stage. During a slower portion of the song, he walked to the edge and either shook hands or bumped fists with audience members. Girls shrieked. Moving back in line with the other men, he snapped his fingers to the beat.

The trick worked, the audience joined him, the screaming diminished, and his voice rose above the crowd’s reaction. The tempo increased and so did the complexity of the dance moves. Any boy band member would have been jealous of the performance.

All the hours in the gym paid off. Chipper’s athleticism allowed him to effortlessly dance from one side of the stage to the other. It was a joyous performance of an infectious tune. He could not help smiling even when sweat dripped into his eyes and droplets clung to his chest hair.

Halfway through the performance, Kelly Clarkson stood and swayed to the music. A fraction of a second later, Adam joined his fellow judge. At the end, when Chipper landed in a split as the music stopped, all four judges were on their feet and so was the audience.

He had done his job. It was now up to the viewers. America’s vote would determine who would move on.

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 58
  • Love 35
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



5 hours ago, avidreadr said:

Good song. I'm glad Chipper didn't let the stylist shave him as some of us prefer fur.    

We're part of the same club. If anyone looks at the guys I follow on social media they'll discover most of them are furry. I thought about Chipper also refusing to have his eyebrows plucked but ran up against the 1k words limit. :P

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Just show me where to vote. Chipper has mine. Thanks for another great chapter!

I usually caught The Voice episodes after they aired (I love my DVR) so I rarely voted. When I did, it was through the XFINITY remote. Now that I have a Twitter account I think I can use it for that purpose.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Sorry it was supposed to be "didn't have his mat clipped", sorry about the lack of rereading my response

No problem, I figured it out. I make plenty of mistakes when responding to messages myself. The only reason the chapters are not riddled with typos is I read the damn things countless times and my support team catches whatever I leave behind.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..