Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 8. Cross Country

“WE HAVE A STEAL!”

Chipper was all smiles, mugging for the camera as he walked down the corridor toward backstage. Carson’s shout made him stop, turn, and pump an arm in the air. “YESSS!”

One of the show’s twists was the ability of coaches to steal unsuccessful artists. Somebody had expressed an interest in Bliss; she would remain in the competition albeit on another team. Chipper waited in the tunnel until the woman ran to him.

The hug and kiss they exchanged were more than friendly. When the show aired, Chipper noticed their lip lock had been edited out. Happiness enveloped him. He and Bliss had become close over the preceding weeks. Holding each other at arms’ length after disengaging from their embrace, their brilliant grins lit up the area.

“This is sick!” He was thrilled for the talented woman. “I told ya, you were good enough.”

“I know you did. Thank you. For believing in me even when I didn’t.” Bliss did not sound entirely convinced. “I just told Alicia, my new coach, that I think you’re the one to beat.” Amidst the doubts, her sassiness returned. “You better watch out, boy. I’ll be gunning for you.”

 

With a couple of weeks before the next round began, Chipper embarked on a cross-country trip. His first stop was in Miami to complete his final examinations at the Frost School of Music. After two days in South Florida, he flew to Washington, D.C. to watch his best friend graduate from Georgetown University. His sister, Cristina, joined him in the nation’s capital. Her divorce was not yet final, but she expected it to be sometime soon. She came down to attend the same commencement exercises and to visit a mutual friend recovering from injuries.

The two of them and baby Carolina stayed with Dr. Matthew Calhoun.

“You’re sure about this?” Dr. Calhoun’s question reflected his obvious skepticism. “Your dad may get pissed when he finds out you asked me.”

“Please, Matt. Do you really think I’m worried? Chip and I are okay with each other these days, but I want you in the audience. On the seats reserved for family.”

Chipper was born and raised in New York City. At an early age, his father came out, his parents divorced, and the elder Pereira moved to Washington, D.C. The relationship he established with Dr. Calhoun soured when Matt discovered the man was cheating. Chip moved to Tampa, Florida around the same time Chipper’s mother received a promotion and returned to her native Buenos Aires.

A high school sophomore at the time, Chipper did not want to leave New York but had no choice. A move to Buenos Aires did not appeal to him, and he refused to live with his father. He despised the senior Pereira for cheating and it would be a few years before they worked on reestablishing a relationship. Matt agreed to take him in, and the teen finished his high school years at School Without Walls before enrolling at the University of Miami.

Cristina’s nod apparently convinced Matt. “Okay, assuming you make it to the live shows

“What the hell you mean assuming?” Chipper’s mock affront elicited grins. “Of course I’m gonna make it.”

“Don’t get cocky, Chipper.” Cristina slapped her brother’s thigh.

“If you two are done…” Matt did not have children of his own but often remarked on his love for the siblings. “When you make it to the live shows, I’ll come out to LA for the first round. We can talk about the finals while I’m out there.”

The graduation was on Saturday morning. After a long luncheon, most of the group napped before the partying resumed. There were several festive gatherings which seemed to become livelier when Chipper and the others arrived. Dragging himself back to Matt’s condo sometime close to dawn, he knew he would never make the early morning train to New York he had reservations on. When he at last arrived at Union Station in the afternoon, he was still suffering from a hangover.

 

“What up girl?” The call from Bliss was not entirely surprising. Chipper and the other contestants had traded numbers, and text messages between them were a regular occurrence. Calls were not as common.

“Hi, Chipper. Where are you?”

He looked at the station sign outside the train’s window and smiled. “Philadelphia.” The City of Brotherly Love was home for Bliss.

“WHAT? You’re in my hometown and you didn’t call me?”

Chipper’s laughter was rich. “Relax. I’m on a train to New York. We just left Philly.”

“I was gonna kill you if you were here and didn’t stop by. Anyway, I need a favor.”

“What can I do for you?”

“Well, I was chatting with Alicia and she invited me to spend an afternoon with her in Manhattan before we all fly back to LA. I’m thinking I want to spend the night and do a little shopping. I was wondering if you knew of an inexpensive place to crash in New York. I don’t want to blow all my money on a room.”

“You’re in luck. I know the perfect place, and I think you’ll like the price.”

The Upper East Side coop his sister found refuge in after leaving her husband was jointly owned by Matt Calhoun and his best friend’s parents. For the next few days, Chipper would have it to himself.

Once in the apartment, a couple of Sunday Funday cocktails were tempting. Chipper longed for New York City and wanted to soak up some of its magical atmosphere to carry him through the upcoming months in Los Angeles. The spring weather was magnificent, and the idea of sipping a vodka martini or two from a rooftop bar with views of the skyline nearly did it for him.

He decided there would be time for it all soon enough. Instead, he ordered food in and went to bed early. Tomorrow he had plans that could impact his future.

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 59
  • Love 30
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



40 minutes ago, Bft said:

I do like this story but I think that 1k words is just a bit too short as things start happening and we come to the end of the chapter. 

18 more to go...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..