Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 19. Team Adam

“We understand you have a message for a fan.” The producer interviewing Chipper sat out of camera range invisible to the television audience.

“I do.” Chipper had suggested she ask him the question. “A corporal stationed at Marine Corps Base Quantico reached out with an invitation, and I’d like to respond.

“I’ve talked about my close group of friends beforeThe Squadbut what I haven’t mentioned is a couple of them are military veterans. One served in the Navy and another in the Army. The soldier lost both legs on a mission, but we’re all happy he’s alive and on the mend. Maybe being born on Veteran’s Day influences my outlook. I have a soft spot for those who serve our country.

Sooo, I’d like to dedicate tonight performances to the men and women in the US armed forces. Wherever you are in the world, I’m thinking of you. Thank you for your service.

“And to Corporal Rhonda Patterson, I’d love to escort you to the Marine Corps Christmas Ball. It’s a date. I’ll be in touch to figure out details.”

 

Chipper was lost in recollections following his emotional performance of Alicia Keys’ “Empire State of Mind.” In the artists’ lounge, he turned his phone on and was surprised at the number of tweets and posts referencing his dedication to the military. The volume of responses might grow so much that at some point he would be unable to read them all. He would continue to do so until then.

He stood in front of The Voice wall sign, snapped a selfie, and posted it across all platforms. The accompanying message thanked fans for their support and encouraged them to vote for him.

 

Each coach had three artists remaining; one would go home the following night. Chipper did not think he would be the one departing, but he was not about to rest on his laurels. The next performance could be the one persuading viewers to support him.

“Taking the stage with his team for the first time this season”Carson’s introduction boomed over the sound system“here’s Adam Levine performing Panic at the Disco’s ‘Hey Look Ma, I Made It.’”

Levine, on drums, sang the first verse while Chipper played keyboard. The other two team members handled guitar and bass. All four harmonized on the catchy tune’s chorus while the contestants each had a shot at singing a refrain by themselves.

Chipper thought Adam’s choice was ideal; the three aspiring artists had indeed made it. Whichever one of them went home after the results were announced could be satisfied they had beaten out hundreds of others. Chipper was confident he would make it to the finals but if he did not, the experience alone would serve as a starting point for the musical career he desired.

 

“Also advancing, from Team Kelly.” Carson’s slow delivery and elongated pauses were maddening. The way the results were trickled was a popular contestant complaint. “Jordan Black!”

Chipper was not surprised the longhaired, bearded country singer from Alabama was advancing to the semifinals. He was a better singer than the girl also on Team Kelly. Chipper had his money on Jordan making the finals. The other two he felt would reach the end were Bliss from Team Alicia, and Angie Jennings from Team Blake.

“When we return from our break, we have a special performance by last season’s winner and then we’ll announce the final two individuals advancing. Don’t go anywhere.” When the signal was given they were off the air, Carson whispered to the remaining individuals. “Not much longer, guys. Hang in there. We’re almost done.”

Chipper thought the clock’s hands moved at a glacial pace. The wait felt interminable. Contestants from Blake’s and Alicia’s teams had already been eliminated. Chipper was not used to waiting until the end but was not overly worried. He knew he would make it through. Lost in thought, his remaining teammate elbowed him to get his attention when the final four aspiring musicians were invited to join the host on stage. Carson announced Team Kelly’s other advancing artist, and it was down to Adam’s contestants.

“The final person moving on is…” It was either Chipper or his fellow Team Adam member. The two guys smiled at the camera and wrapped an arm around each other’s shoulders. “America voted in… Chipper!”

The Yankees ball cap he had refused to wear the previous night flew off his head and into the stands. The man going home hugged Chipper, bowed and waved at the audience, and left the stage. Carson had a few parting words of encouragement. “Could we have the other semifinalists join us on stage?” As the already announced individuals rushed to join the host, he pumped Chipper’s hand and offered congratulations.

“America, these are your Final Eight! This is your host, Carson Daly. See you next week!”

With the cameras off, they all talked at the same time; congratulations, backslaps, and hugs abounded. Family and friends joined them on stage and as a group they moved to the artists’ lounge for a celebration. There were no plans for later since the contestants had to be back at work early the next day.

“Bliss!” Chipper motioned for the woman to join him and Ethan. “Hey, I want you to meet my friend. He’s the guy I had lunch with in New York. Ethan Feldman, this is Bliss.”

“You were great out there last night. Congratulations on moving on.” Ethan was his usual charming self. “Chipper had told me you were his biggest obstacle to winning. Now I know why.”

“Thank you…” Looking up at Ethan, the woman shook her head in Chipper’s direction. “You’re his attorney, right?”

“That I am.”

“But you live in New York?”

“I do. I came in to do a little work at the LA office and decided to stick around for the show. Are you ready for next week?”

“I will be. And Chipper better watch out.”

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 36
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..