Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 17. Old Friend

Six years after leaving New York, Chipper was a confident man. His anger at his father’s infidelity and having to leave his hometown had waned. However, the longing to stroll the congested sidewalks of Manhattan had grown. During his time at the University of Miami, he realized he was good enough to make it in the music business and able to plant roots wherever he wanted. That was in the Big Apple.

Greg Nalbo’s attempt to dictate his future rattled him. The entertainment mogul was a roadblock on his chosen path. The call to Ethan Feldman, his long-time friend and attorney, provided a temporary respite from the turmoil.

“Miles’ a good guy, bud. He’ll take good care of you.” Ethan had conferenced Miles Abramonov into the call, and the Los Angeles attorney had made plans to meet with Chipper.

“I hope so, man. This shit sucks!”

“You need some TLC. Get me tickets to next week’s shows. I’m coming to see you.” On Friday before the quarterfinals show, Ethan flew to Los Angeles.

 

Ethan Feldman, born in Burlington, Ontario to a Canadian father and an American mother, grew up in Roslyn, Long Island and attended New York University for his undergraduate degree. While at law school in Virginia, he met two of the men at The Squad’s core. He was folded into the group and the shared connection to New York led to him and Chipper becoming close.

“Must be nice to just take time off work and travel.” Ethan’s arrival put a real smile on Chipper’s face for the first time since receiving Nalbo’s threats.

“Who says I’m taking time off? You’re a client, and I’ll be working while you deal with rehearsals and whatever else you have to do.” Ethan had arranged to spend time at his firm’s Los Angeles office while in town. “Somebody has to keep your ass out of trouble.”

Chipper was scheduled to perform twice on Monday and his free time over the weekend was limited. However, after the Spago’s confrontation with Nalbo and a rehearsal session, he was ready for a little relaxation. “My ass’ doing fine, it’s my brain that needs help. This shit’s not what I had in mind. I feel like my head’s about to explode.”

“I bet your ass’ doing well, what with a pretty girl and two hunky boys chasing it. So, you already told me about Bliss when we were in New York, tell me about the guys.”

“You’ll meet them Monday. I invited them to sit with you at the show.” Chipper had steered his visitor to EZ on Santa Monica when Ethan suggested cocktails before dinner. Although busier than during his previous visit on a weeknight, the bar was still quiet enough for them to talk.

“You said you met them at Coachella?”

“Yeah, they approached me after I left the stage. They wanted to take a selfie with me. Anyway, Bryce’s originally from Utah. His Mormon family freaked when he came out after high school. They planned on sending him to a retreat for conversion therapy, so he bolted. He knew someone in LA, and That’s where he went.

“Bryce’s the blond, right?”

“Yeah. Zion’s from New Mexico. Part Hispanic and part Navajo. His parents dealt with him being a homo much better. But they’re poor and he didn’t see a future for himself in Taos. He decided to head west and landed here.”

“It figures both would now live in California. It’s the land of opportunity.”

“And douchebags!” Chipper shook his head still trying to accept someone wanting to take advantage of him. “At least Zion came out here with some sort of plan. Bryce was just running away. You know how many teens end up dealing or in prostitution to survive? I mean, you see these young guys around Sunset Boulevard…”

“We have similar areas in New York too, Chipper.”

“Yeah, but did you know here they’ve been trying different things to control it? Like you’re not allowed to make right turns in certain areas at night.”

“To stop people from circling around?”

“And to stop them from driving through the side streets to get BJs in their car, or whatever.”

“I’m glad your friends escaped that fate. They were lucky. I’m kind of looking forward to meeting them.”

“You’ll like them. A little different from most of our crowd. They’re more concerned about the present than the future.”

“Hey! Life would be boring if everyone was like us. So, are you going to be okay taking the stage Monday night? Is this whole blackmail thing messing with you?”

“Shit, yeah it messed me up. After I called you Wednesday, I was a basket case. I fucked up rehearsals big time.”

“Did it get better?”

“It did. Talking with Miles that afternoon allowed me to breathe again. Meeting him and the FBI guy the next day helped even more. Of course, Friday morning I was useless. I’m not sure how I kept my shit together during lunch.”

“At least it sounds like that little sting operation worked. I’m still amazed how fast the FBI pulled it together.”

“Me too! I think that was due to Miles and Crisanto being friends. I like Miles. He seems like a standup guy. And his wife’s great. I’m looking forward to hanging out at their place on Sunday.”

“About that…” Ethan raised his hand and motioned for another round. “The two of us talked earlier, and we’d like to have a little meeting with you. Are you going to win this thing?”

“The Voice? I don’t know, man. It’s all up to the audience, and viewers voting. But I think I have a chance. Not to brag or anything, but I’m better than the rest of Adam’s team. I’m pretty sure I’ll be in the finals.”

Ethan slapped his companion’s back. “You’re bragging, dickhead.”

“Fuck you, asshole. I’m being realistic. Bliss is probably my biggest obstacle. But to be honest, I’m not sure I want to win.”

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 55
  • Love 35
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



4 hours ago, avidreadr said:

It's good he has Ethan with him.  As for winning, it would be great but what he needed more was the exposure.  He will definitely be going further and he will find his career taking off.  He will need a good manager and now might be the time to find one.

Have you been reading ahead? LOL Manager discussion coming right up.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

Thank goodness Ethan is there! Chipper needs people he can trust by his side. 

Yup! Ethan might not have been part of the original crowd but he's proving his joining The Squad is something he took to heart.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

Well of course it would be fantastic, get it, fantastic, if Chipper won but it isn't vital. Look at Adam Lambert and the career he has, he was the runner-up. The experience, connections and showcasing of his talent is what Chipper really needs. Sometimes the winners of these contests are just a flash in the pan. Chipper wants a career. Now of course he could have both if our indomitable writer wills it so. The voting starts now ...

Groan...

Jennifer Hudson didn't win either and she's done okay for herself.

Even though the story's written and edited, I revisit each chapter the day before it posts. So far I've tinkered with all of them. A missing word or comma, word repetition echoes, and other small stuff like that. It would be easy to change the name announced at the end of the last chapter. I made sure not to mention The Voice when the reporters were sharing Squad micro-biographies during CJ's inauguration.

:devil:

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..