Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 2. Family Issues

News spread like a wildfire burning through the Florida Everglades. By week’s end, it seemed everyone in the Frost School knew one of their own would be a contestant on The Voice. People Chipper had never met came up to him offering congratulations and wishing him luck.

His first stop after returning to campus was Dr. Pierce’s office to thank him. The man was elated and set about helping his student plan his next steps.

A lawyer teaching the business of music reviewed the contract the production company sent. Dr. Pierce contacted Chipper’s professors in his capacity as his advisor and arranged for the student to miss classes and for makeup work.

Chipper had traveled to Los Angeles for preliminary meetings and orientation when he received a call from his sister in New York.

“Hey, Sis! What’s going on? How’s my favorite niece?” Chipper forgot all about what he was doing. Thoughts of Carolina Marie Pradohis seven-month-old niecealways cheered him up. While in New York, he had spent most of the break with his sister, Cristina, her husband, Damien, and their daughter.

“She’s your only niece, goofball. She’s fine. But I have a problem.” Cristina sounded upset.

Sitting upright was a reflex reaction; she had his attention. “What’s wrong? What kind of problem?”

“It’s Damien. We had another argument. He still doesn’t want me to go back to work.”

“That’s nothing new.” Chipper relaxed, he had heard this before. “He mentioned it when I was up there.”

“It’s gotten worse. He wants me to get pregnant again.” Cristina paused, and Chipper could swear he heard sobbing. “He knows if I’m pregnant I may have trouble getting my job back. I’d have to go on maternity leave again soon after. No employer wants that.”

“They can’t discriminate. You should call Ethan.” Ethan Feldman, an attorney practicing in Manhattan, was one of Chipper’s close friends from when both lived in Washington. “He’s becoming a shark! I’d hire him as my attorney if I needed one.”

“I… I may…” Cristina’s weeping was now clearly audible. She seemed to find new resolve and when she spoke, there was little hesitation. “I may need him anyway. This is hard, Chipper. I don’t want to tell Mom or Dad. Damien crossed a line last night. He said my job was to have children and take care of them. Then he forced himself on me. I tried to resist, but he didn’t care. After he finished, he promised to do the same thing every night until I was pregnant. He left bruises on my arms.”

“HE RAPED YOU!” It was not a question. Chipper’s temporary calm disappeared; anger rose in its place. “I’m gonna kill the motherfucker.” Chipper looked at the time; it was near lunchtime in New York. “Is he at work?”

“Yes. I guess. I haven’t heard from him since he left this morning. Why?”

“I want you out of there before he returns.” Chipper’s mind juggled and prioritized the steps he felt were needed. “There’s no going back on this, Cristina.” He tried to sound calm. The last thing his sister needed was histrionics. “You and Carolina aren’t safe around that animal.”

“What? I’m not sure about that, Chipper. You want me to leave him? Maybe all we need’s counseling. Someone to help us work it out?”

“Listen to me, Sis. I love you to death, but this concerns your safety. The man’s been saying the same thing forever. Damien won’t listen. Do you really think he’ll change his mind? I’m scared he could hurt you. Or the baby.”

“Damien’s not like that.”

“Oh, really? What do you call what he did last night?” Chipper remained momentarily silent. He wanted his words to sink in. “Listen, it’s Friday, and I’m not sure how much can be accomplished over the weekend. I want you gone now. Go pack a bag.”

“What are you thinking? Maybe I can go to a hotel for a couple of days and then try to talk to him?”

“NO!” Chipper chastised himself for shouting. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to yell. I need to make a few calls. Get packed, stop at an ATM to get cash, and take a cab to CJ’s apartment. I’ll make sure there’s a key waiting.”

“I’m sorry, Chipper.” The sobbing became crying. “You’re the only person I could talk to. I’m so embarrassed…”

“You did the right thing calling. There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. You haven’t done anything wrong.” Chipper took a breath. It was tough being 3,000 miles away. “Go do your thing. I’ll be in touch as soon as I have everything set. Call me back anytime.”

His texts to CJ and Ethan claiming an emergency resulted in both responding at the same time. He turned it into a three-way so he could explain. CJ promised to ensure Cristina had a place to stay for as long as she needed and offered to travel to Manhattan.

Ethan dissuaded him from getting on the next flight, vowed to call Cristina immediately, and go see her that same afternoon. He thought he could get a temporary restraining order to keep Damien away from her and make any other necessary filings on Monday. However, he needed to speak with her first.

Chipper knew he could count on his friends without them asking questions, but he felt an obligation to explain why he was not on the next flight to New York. He promised he would stop in both their cities soon. He had to be in Miami first but would visit them before returning to Los Angeles.

Chipper remained in daily contact with his sister after he arrived in Miami. Thoughts of Cristina and what else he needed to do for her and his niece constantly intruded into his concentration. It was a struggle to complete class work and the special assignments. When he left the Frost School of Music once again, he planned to be there one last time to take final examinations.

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 31
  • Haha 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..