Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 20. Loose Ends

“What time you fly out?” Chipper leaned forward in his seat; the whistling wind made it hard to hear inside the Beemer ragtop.

Ethan’s garment bag and backpack were in the back next to his friend. “The flight leaves LAX right after lunch. Miles’ taking me to the airport after we drop you off.”

Chipper had forgone his early morning workout to meet the two attorneys for breakfast. “By the way, forgot to tell you. Cristina texted me last night after the results were announced.”

“Oh, yeah? What did your sister have to say?”

“Usual stuff. She congratulated me, raved about my niece, and told me to give you a hug. We can’t thank you enough for what you did for her.”

“Bah, it was nothing. I handled her divorce,” Ethan explained to Miles when the man gave him a questioning look. “It went rather quickly. Her ex capitulated when she agreed to drop the assault charges.”

“So, we have the whole family as clients?” Miles’ silver-threaded hair shone in the morning sunlight; Chipper found it mesmerizing.

“Only the two of us. I’m pretty sure next time Cristina needs an attorney to work fast she’ll call Ethan.”

“Speaking of working fast”Miles slowed down, searching for street parking“I had a call from Crisanto yesterday. He wanted to update me on Nalbo.”

“What’s up with the scumbag?”

“Don’t get upset, Chipper. The man lawyered up and was out of custody in no time.”

“You guys did warn me.” Even knowing his immediate release was likely; Chipper had hoped the man would suffer. “Can’t say I’m happy. Hey, as long as he leaves me alone…”

“If he doesn’t, he’s dumber than I thought. You fought back and I doubt he’s used to that. Anyway, the FBI rushed the takedown so much they screwed up a couple of things.”

“So he gets off?”

“Probably. For now. Crisanto did mention they had opened up an investigation. The FBI will be following up and approaching his clients. I figure they’ll find more than one was coerced to sign with his company.”

“I hope they nail him to the wall. That man has no business managing anyone’s career.”

“And that’s the perfect segue into the next subject Ethan and I want to discuss with you.” Miles raised the top and turned off the engine once his companions exited the vehicle. “Let’s get some food and we’ll talk over breakfast.”

The server took their order while the busboy delivered water and coffee. “Did your buddy tell you what he did yesterday?” Miles pointed a thumb at Ethan.

“Something good for a change?” Chipper earned himself a stuck-out tongue from his fellow New Yorker.

“Probably for you. He sent out a firm-wide message talking about you becoming a client. He included the show’s website and asked everyone to vote for you and share the link with family and friends.”

“I’ll take all the help I can get. You heard the other performances. I think I have a chance, but it ain’t a for-sure thing.”

“Speaking of help, when are you going to speak with your friend’s father about accounting and investing?”

“No later than Christmas. I have to be in Washington for the Marine Corps Ball. Gotta keep the promise I made. I’ll see him then. I’d rather do it in person.”

“Good. I talked to one of our guys yesterday. Generalities only, but he said you should create a company and funnel all your income through it. We didn’t discuss details, but I know that’s for tax purposes.”

“Shit! I guess my days of using the simple tax form and getting back most of what was deducted are over.”

Ethan motioned for more coffee and chuckled. “Welcome to being a grown up, buddy. Between endorsements, tours, recordings, and whatever, your tax returns are gonna get very complicated.”

“He’s right.” Miles lifted his elbows from the table, allowing the server to slide a plate in front of him. “The Armani reps understand we won’t do anything until the show’s over. But they’re sending a draft of a contract for me to review. It’s something an accountant should also look at. They mentioned the possibility of you walking a couple of runways for them too.”

“That’s gonna depend on what else comes up. Music gets priority, guys. If I’m lucky enough to tour, I may not be available.”

“Understood. That’s why hooking you up with a manager and maybe a publicist is so important.”

Chipper’s momentary silence made his companions stare at him. “Look, I trust you two, and I’d like your firm to handle all that for now. Let’s not get too many people involved until it’s really needed. Set up a meet with the right ones in your firm, and I’ll sign on with you on a trial basis. We can revisit it in a year or so.”

 

Serious mealtime conversations were becoming de rigueur for Chipper. Two days after dealing with loose ends at breakfast, Bliss approached him wanting to have lunch in private. He smiled when she insisted on paying for the food-truck tacos.

“If you buy my lunch you can ask me out any time.” The sunglasses prevented him seeing her eyes, but he noticed a slight furrowing of her brow. “So, what’s up?”

“I never envisioned being one show away from the finals.” A long fingernail rearranged the contents of her soft tortilla, but Bliss made no move to take a bite. “After Adam picked you during the Battle Round, I was ready to go home and try something else. When Alicia stole me, I was thrilled to get another chance. And you being so happy made me feel incredible.”

“I was, and I’m glad you’re still around. Even if you are my biggest obstacle to winning.”

“I feel the same. Anyway, after New York, I realized you’re just a heck of a nice guy. I’ve had fun with you, Chipper. But I don’t think we have a future together.”

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 61
  • Love 30
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..