Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Singer - 5. Jam Session

“I can’t believe Adam did this.” Aslan Phillips, another contestant on Levine’s team, sat next to Chipper. Both stared out the window of the luxury mini-bus headed to Indio.

His spot in the contest secure, Chipper had flown to Miami to complete class projects ensuring his on-time graduation. Unable to attend commencement exercises, he had at last revealed to his parents what he was doing. A week later, he returned to Los Angeles ready for what producers billed as a rigorous routine prior to the competition’s next step.

“You ever been here?” Chipper liked the singer surfer from Hilo. He was easy going and easy on the eyes. The sun-bleached blond, half-a-dozen years older than Chipper, had a ripped body and an engaging smile.

“No, man, this is my first time out of the islands. What about you? Have you been to one of these?”

“Not this one. I’ve been to the Ultra Festival in Miami a couple times. But that’s all EDM.”

Levine surprised his twelve contestants with tickets to the first weekend of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. He, his wife, and a handful of friends sat in the back of the vehicle he rented to travel the two hours from Los Angeles.

The event, first held in the late nineties, was consistently ranked the top festival in the world. It had become the place to see and be seen; where the famous rubbed elbows with the public and minimalist outfits were de rigueur. Chipper and Aslan were similarly attired in shorts and tank tops. The desert’s heat all but guaranteed the shirts would soon be discarded.

“You wanna hang out together? At least for a while?” Aslan asked. Chipper had already realized the stud was not as boisterous and outgoing as himself or most of his friends.

“For sure, man. I want to listen to as many performances as possible.” Chipper stepped off the bus and immediately lowered the sunglasses resting atop his head. “Damn it’s bright. I also want to walk around and check some of the art and sculptures.”

“Sounds good. You lead, I’ll follow.”

Moving en masse at first, the group’s size diminished as individuals peeled off when something caught their attention. When he and Aslan were approached by two young women offering to get them stoned, Chipper declined and excused himself to visit the restroom while Aslan went with them. Because he wanted his voice to be in top shape, he had given up smoking pot for the time.

 

“Hey, Chipper. What’s going on?” Adam was headed toward the restroom Chipper had just walked out of, drying his hands on the wife beater now hanging from a belt loop.

“Nothing much. This is all fucking amazing. Thanks again for bringing us out.”

“My pleasure, dude. My pleasure. Where’s the rest of the group?”

“No idea right now. Everyone sort of drifted off to do their own thing.”

“You headed anywhere special?”

“Nah… I figure I’ll catch a show.”

“Good, wait for me, and we’ll hang.”

Chipper was flabbergasted. He and Adam had a good rapport but spending time with him today was unexpected. He figured Levine would be hobnobbing with other artists. When the coach tapped him on the shoulder, Chipper was startled out of his reverie.

“So, you know Kendrick Lamar, right?” Adam steered Chipper toward the right.

“Duh! Not only is he a great artist, he won a Pulitzer Prize for Damn. We had to dissect those songs in one of my classes.”

Levine cracked up. “He’s gonna love hearing that his songs are being taught in college. Anyway, he has a show starting in a bit at the Sonora Tent.”

“Is that where we’re headed?”

“Yeah. He plans a little set within the show he asked me to play drums on.”

“That’s cool! Like a surprise guest appearance?”

“You got it. He wants to do a couple of Beatles tunes. How’d you like to jam with us onstage?”

Chipper came to a sudden stop. This was more than he could have envisioned. “Me?”

Levine cracked up again. “Dude, you should see your face. Yeah, you. I figure you probably know the songs. You can fake your way on the keyboard and give us an assist on vocals.”

“Fuck, yeah! I’m in. I’m definitely in.” Any fear he may have had performing with two musical superstars was drowned by his excitement.

While weaving their way through the crowd, Levine explained what was to happen and discussed the three songs they were to perform. Chipper was happy he knew the words to all of them and decided he could handle the keyboards. So what if he missed a note or two? It was a live show and not a recording with multiple takes.

“Hey, this guy’s coming on stage with me. Get him one of those super passes.” Adam’s request was satisfied by backstage security. Minutes later, Chipper was chatting with Kendrick Lamar.

“That’s dope my stuff’s being taught at a fancy ass music school. Shit! I can’t believe it. Hey, Adam, get in here. Let’s take a selfie so I can brag about the kid and let fans know I’ve made the big time.”

When Lamar announced he had special guests to open the show with, and Levine walked on stage, the crowd went wild. Chipper’s reception was not as vociferous, but he still received a warm welcome.

Although the nerves were there while he played, Chipper tried to block everything out except for the music. It must have worked. The audience reaction was more enthusiastic with each number. When Chipper was given the opportunity to solo a couple of verses, the roar was deafening. Red-faced from exertion and profusely sweating, his smile could not have been larger when it was over.

“YO! Give it up for my friends, Adam Levine, and Chipper.” Lamar waved a hand inviting the two to join him stage front. “Make sure you catch these two this fall on the next season of The Voice.

Copyright © 2019 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 36
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



11 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Chipper is going to be the CJ of the entertainment world.

:yes: I did mention somewhere I always thought Chipper and CJ had the most similar personalities out of the entire group of friends.

11 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Soon all the right promoters and producers are going to know his name when he walks into a room.

Hang on to that thought... :devil:

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Chipper liked the singer surfer from Hilo. He was easy going and easy on the eyes. The sun-bleached blond, half-a-dozen years older than Chipper, had a ripped body and an engaging smile. -- And I was primed for one of Chipper's unprovoked sex scenes. Ah, well. . . .

Hey . . . who's that on stage with Chipper?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..