Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 34. # 141 - Captain's Log

span>Life is created by the elements around us from the elements found on the periodic table. That is challenged when a meteorite strikes the earth near the farm lands. Life is changing due this fragment. What will these new elements mean to mankind?

Captain’s Log

 

Captain’s log 301817081116

 

The small comet hit the southern region, but nobody came to harm, luckily, as this part of the region was a vast salt desert. As a result of the impact, however, new plants started to grow on the farmlands that adjoined the desert in the south. The stellar material changed the genetic constitution of the cereal plants. The plants were bigger and richer in essential nutrients than the original plants. The experiment had proven to be a striking success. It was exactly like Prof. Dayton had predicted.

Prof. Dayton had researched on controlled impacts for thirty-seven years. The implementation of the experiment had been easy as locating an adequate comet or asteroid was easy in these days. Due to advanced laser technology, steering an asteroid to Earth wasn’t difficult either. Performing a controlled impact in the year 2,740 was as easy as locating Earth-like planets in the beginning of the 21st century or watching Mars and Venus with a telescope a couple of centuries earlier. What was new about the experiment was that the comet was not steered into the sun or the planet Jupiter where it would simply disappear and do no harm. This time, the comet hit the planet Earth.

Prof. Dayton’s studies and his computer based results had been verified by research teams all over the world. The World Union, an institution with legislative power, had finally voted for a practical experiment. According to Prof. Dayton’s results, stellar material could improve plants growing on Earth. According to his complicated analysis, the element hexagon-

α+, found in the year 2,668 in various small bodies of the Kuiper belt – a region of the Solar System beyond the planets extending from the orbit of Neptune - would generate the intended results. Hexagon-α+ could be released from rocky material with heat and high pressure. A controlled impact of an asteroid rich in hexagon-α+ was the easiest way to generate the effect.

The region around the Dead Sea in the Middle East had turned into a vast salt desert over the centuries. The region was the chosen target of the impact. Farmland was prepared in the south of the desert, an irrigation system was implemented, and finally cereals were planted while a small body from the Kuiper belt was steered to Earth. The plants had just started to grow when the controlled impact occurred. The experiment quickly turned out to be a striking success. Tests showed that the plants had changed exactly like Prof. Dayton had predicted.

Neither Prof. Dayton nor any research team worldwide had predicted, however, that the element quadrion would be set free when the asteroid entered the atmosphere of Earth. They had not predicted it because the element had been unknown until that day and even advanced technology had not detected the little amount of material that the asteroid contained. The amount of quadrion set free sufficed to enlarge the ozone hole in the briefest of time. The impact of quadrion was a thousand times bigger than the effect of the hazardous greenhouse gases. Ten years after the impact, the ozone layer was 100% destroyed. Unfortunately, advanced technology in the year 2,740 was not advanced enough to stop or even reverse the process. Human life changed considerably as a consequence and much faster than any computer based simulation had predicted. As a result of the ultraviolet radiation that came uninhibited from the sun, the population of Earth in the year 2,840 was already 50% of the population in the year 2,740. It was 30% in the year 2,900, 20% in the year 2.925, and 10% in the year 2,940. People lived in underground shelters, scattered across the planet Earth.

Unfortunately, we lost contact to the other inhabited cells in the year 2,982 when worldwide communication ultimately broke down and could not be restored. So I can only assume that our community, located underground in the Rocky Mountains, is not the single one on Earth. I’m typing this on a machine that is running with a durable battery that I suspect to work for at least one more decade.

We’re a group of 157 healthy adults and children. Our physical bodies have changed only little over the centuries due to our life underground. Our community is based on support and compassion, and the respect that we have for each other. We strive for happiness and fulfillment. We strive for a bright future and peace in our lives. To Jesus Christ we commend our souls. May the grace and the mercy of our Lord be with us. Out of the depths we have cried unto thee. In God we trust. Hallowed be thy name.

Adam Noah Jones, August 17, in the year of our Lord 3018.

 

End of log

Dolores Esteban
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was frightening Dolores. All of mankind wiped out and but a few souls left. Interesting use of the prompt.

Link to comment
On 06/05/2012 11:58 AM, comicfan said:
That was frightening Dolores. All of mankind wiped out and but a few souls left. Interesting use of the prompt.
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..