Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 49. # 310 The Night of the Reptile

span>Use the following words in a story: tent, a running river, a wolf, a lighter, and a bowl of cereal.

The Night of the Reptile

 

 

"So many years have gone by," Richard said, leaning back in his chair. "Do you remember the night of the wolf, Brian?"

"Yes," I said with a smile, recalling the night.

We were fourteen then. We had set up a tent and we were sitting inside. Night had fallen. It was a night in August. Richard had just finished a bowl of cereal that his mother had brought to our tent, much to Richard’s embarrassment, and I was searching my pockets for a lighter, when we heard the growl of a beast.

"We said it was the night of the wolf, but we know the creature wasn’t a wolf," Richard said.

"It wasn’t a dog either," I replied.

"No, it wasn’t a dog," Richard said. He turned his eyes to me. "We’ve never found out what it was, unfortunately."

"It was lurking outside and it was on the prowl for something or someone, I’m sure," I said.

"It didn’t want us, however. It was gone suddenly," Richard said. "I still think it came from the river. The river usually dried out in August, but not that year."

"Yes, the river was a running river," I confirmed. "The water level was high. The water actually flooded the area the following day. Why did they let us camp by the river? It was pretty dangerous, I think."

"The water level was low in the afternoon," Richard said. "The water came at night and the creature came with the water."

"Come on, Richard, it was dark and we were just frightened. Perhaps it was Carter’s dog after all," I said.

"We dismissed this idea," Richard replied. "Carter was gone for the weekend. He left with the dog."

"A werewolf then," I said with a laugh. It was meant to sound cheerful but came across brittle instead.

"I don’t believe in this crap," Richard replied, leaning forward and fixing his eyes on me. "Do you remember the stench that came from the creature? I haven’t forgotten that smell in thirty years."

The stench. He was right. The stench had been abominable. "Neither did I forget," I said. I cast him a look. "So what was lurking out there? Do you have any idea?"

"Ogopogo, the lake monster, was sighted while crossing Lake Okanagan," Richard said.

"Lake Okanagan is in Canada," I protested.

"Just an example of a water beast. Ogopogo is said to be a lizard or reptile. What do you think, Brian? Have some prehistoric creatures survived to our day?" Richard asked.

I looked at him warily. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"I’m suggesting that the creature was a dinosaur," Richard said with a meaningful look.

I started to laugh, but my laughter sounded hollow. Richard watched me until I fell silent.

"I went for a walk this afternoon. I went to the river. The water level is high and rising. The creature might come back, Brian," he said. "This is our chance to investigate."

"Another night of the wolf?" I asked, leaning back in my chair.

"The night of the reptile," Richard replied. "I will be out to get it tonight. What about you, Brian?"

Dolores Esteban
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Spooky Dolores. A prehistoric monster and a smell that can be remembered thirty years later. Eww.

Link to comment
On 03/23/2014 12:11 PM, comicfan said:
Spooky Dolores. A prehistoric monster and a smell that can be remembered thirty years later. Eww.
Yes, indeed. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..