Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 16. # 57 The Key

Start with this line: He tried to remember who had given him the key.

The Key

 

He tried to remember who had given him the key. Neldor scratched his head as he turned the key in his hands. Sixty years had passed since he had been given the key. The wizard Neldor pondered for a while.

He placed the key on the map that was spread on the wooden table in front of him. Neldor gazed at the key and the map. The parchment of the map was old. One side of the map was covered with mysterious symbols. Neldor had tried to figure them out. But the symbols had remained a mystery to him. The other side of the map showed two continents and an ocean between them. This side of the map made perfect sense to Neldor.

The legend said that many centuries ago foreigners had come to the land by ship. The foreigners had all died of the plague. Their corpses had been found. But nobody had ever found the ship. And as time went by the story that the natives had told had slowly turned into a legend. Nobody really believed in it now.

Neldor, however, did. He had evidence. He had the map that the foreigners had brought to the country so many centuries ago. Neldor scratched his head again. If only he could figure out the symbols. He was sure they were an ancient language or perhaps a code. But Neldor so far had not found the key to the secret.

The wizard gazed at the key. A strange feeling took hold of him. He tried to remember who had given him the key. The image of an old man came to his mind.

"The master of the library!" Neldor exclaimed. The wizard grew excited. He rose to his feet and paced the room. "Back then when I visited that old castle. I was more interested in the books then."

Neldor sat down again and took the key that he had found a couple of minutes ago behind a leather-bound book in a shelf. Neldor turned the key in his hands.

"The castle of Saelethil holds the secret of the ancient map. I must travel there at once."

Dolores Esteban
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I love this... but I want more. It doesn't seem complete. I want to know what the map is about and what the secret it and where the key goes and what Neldor does and if he's young enough to go find what the map leads him to... Please?????

Link to comment
On 08/18/2011 12:19 PM, Cia said:
I love this... but I want more. It doesn't seem complete. I want to know what the map is about and what the secret it and where the key goes and what Neldor does and if he's young enough to go find what the map leads him to... Please?????
Hi Cia, thanks for your review. I'm currently writing a fantasy story. This bit is part of it. I have already finished the first draft of part I of the story. Part II is in the making. And then I have to edit it all. With English not my first language, it will take a while, unfortunately. But I try to hurry up. It's really about time I upload a new and longer story.
Link to comment

This seems like the prologue to another wonderful piece Dolores. I find I am really enjoying your work in these prompts. I am glad to get a chance to read them all. I seen your response to Cia. I will be waiting for you to post your tale. I enjoy fantasy a lot.

Link to comment
On 08/29/2011 02:27 PM, comicfan said:
This seems like the prologue to another wonderful piece Dolores. I find I am really enjoying your work in these prompts. I am glad to get a chance to read them all. I seen your response to Cia. I will be waiting for you to post your tale. I enjoy fantasy a lot.
Hi comicfan, thanks for your feedback. I'm happy you're enjoying my attempts at the prompts. I need to edit my story first before posting it. Hopefully, you will like that also. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..