Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 275 Words
  • 2,472 Views
  • 20 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cozy Contemplations - 9. Chapter 9 Ode to Something New, and Visit

Wonder at the new... and embracing the past.

Cozy Contemplations

 

Chapter 9 Ode to Something New, and Visit

 

 

 

 

Ode to Something New

 

 

Wildflower

Where did you come from

And why are you alone

Are you some new creation

To the world as yet unknown

 

Are you meant for me to see

Gentle blueness for my soul

Will you thrive and spread

Or will nature take its toll

 

I thank you for your beauty

And the wonder you instill

You have given me some pause

At a time I've had my fill

 

A reminder each day is new

A gift not all receive

Yes I was meant to see you

In that I must believe

 

I hope you're the first of many

To dot this sunlit patch

I will do my best to guard you

And pray other seedlings hatch

 

For now you've done me service

With your discovery I've found peace

Added joy in no small measure

And given me a sweet release

 

 

 

 

Visit

 

I dreamed of you last night

Sometime after the midnight hour

You asked if you could come to me

And I could feel your uncertainty

I did this to us, and I'm sorry

You should never have had to ask

Thank you for the sweet embrace

I can still hear your murmurings

And feel the loving touch

Of your invisible hands

I accepted you weren't real

Yet I clung to you anyway

And didn't let myself wake this time

For I needed you, wanted you

With every beat of my heart

I have let go

But I will always love you

And you are forever welcome

In my dreams

 

Holding on for dear life. There is beauty, and there are words... sometimes they meld... thank you for reading.
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The joy a simple flower might bring ... a reminder that there remains beauty and potential in life.

 

The comfort within the tenuous ghostly embrace of one a once lover ... the dreamings of a more contented time.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

pleasures of the world all round if we are willing to see the smallest of gifts that cross your path. i have my own ghosts stopping by for a visit, with time time they become bittersweet. the Visit speaks to me more than Nature:hug:

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I'm in a melancholy mood today...not really sure why.  Nothing bad has happened, but Visitor reminded me of my late partner...and how I miss even the small things he did which would annoy me at times, along with the moments when he filled my heart with laughter.  I'd give anything for him to put in the tape of 'Caligula' again and replay that scene where he's sitting at the edge of the sea laughing his head off.  Kevin knew that would irk me, but it was yet another time we shared together and bonded...sigh.

You gave me a little bit of Spring wonder when I needed it.  Thank you, my dearest friend.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/1/2017 at 5:18 PM, Parker Owens said:

The rare joy of finding an unexpected gift from the wild bounty of nature is beautifully recounted in Ode.  It is a sense I often feel deeply in the field or woods. 

 

Visit, and the insubstantial visitor it describes, piqued my already primed capacity for melancholy. Memory, desire and so much more are the stuff of dreams, they say. But your words give body to the intangible, and in so doing, haunt me. 

There are those of us more connected with nature because we live amongst its bounty. I remember aching for that connection when living in the city. It's amazing how nature can change our moods and lift us up, with just the smallest, simplest things. A flower, two trees entwined, the sound of the wind through deep and mature forest... there is so much magic... 

There were times I would wake from those memories and dreams that occur in Visit, and I would be a mess... and melancholy would be my companion... for this visit, I embraced what it brought me... time gives us that... thanks, Parker. In time the haunting can have its own sweetness... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/1/2017 at 5:22 PM, northie said:

Nature can bring solace, wonderment, pleasure, a feeling of being a part. It's something I take time over, whether it's doing or just observing. I'm glad you feel the same. :)

My solace, from the time I was a child, has been nature. Growing up on the east coast, there was always a place to escape to just outside my door... it still gives me that same peace. Yes, I do feel the same :) ... thank you for the supportive comment... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/1/2017 at 5:53 PM, Valkyrie said:

These are lovely, Gary.  Nature is such a balm to soothe the soul and glimpses of it can be found everywhere.  I relate all too well to the second one. :hug:  Nicely done. :)  

Thank you, Val. It's all around us, as you say, but we sometimes take it for granted... Morningstar is my tribute to our earth :) ... we are connected....

 

I expect a lot of us can relate to Visit. I welcomed this one... the first time it didn't crush me... I appreciate you reading and commenting, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/2/2017 at 1:19 AM, mogwhy said:

pleasures of the world all round if we are willing to see the smallest of gifts that cross your path. i have my own ghosts stopping by for a visit, with time time they become bittersweet. the Visit speaks to me more than Nature:hug:

Yes... bittersweet is a good word. When enough time passes, the hurt recedes and memories can be enjoyed for what they are... I'm pleased it spoke to you, moggy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I'm in a melancholy mood today...not really sure why.  Nothing bad has happened, but Visitor reminded me of my late partner...and how I miss even the small things he did which would annoy me at times, along with the moments when he filled my heart with laughter.  I'd give anything for him to put in the tape of 'Caligula' again and replay that scene where he's sitting at the edge of the sea laughing his head off.  Kevin knew that would irk me, but it was yet another time we shared together and boded...sigh.

You gave me a little bit of Spring wonder when I needed it.  Thank you, my dearest friend.

I'm sorry, CG. But if we don't learn to embrace the memories, we lose something precious. It's okay to be melancholy sometimes. these aches let us know we're alive, and that we were loved. I'm glad Ode gave you something you needed. Nature is always doing that for me, even when I'm fighting with it :) ... Thanks, buddy xoxoxo much love... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I loved your wildflower...to see beauty in such a neglected thing like that of wildflower is a beauty in itself but to actually word in such a lovely manner is beyond words...I think the next time m taking a walk...m definitely going to notice the flowers growing by the side of the street n remember this poem...

Great writing!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Aviana said:

I loved your wildflower...to see beauty in such a neglected thing like that of wildflower is a beauty in itself but to actually word in such a lovely manner is beyond words...I think the next time m taking a walk...m definitely going to notice the flowers growing by the side of the street n remember this poem...

Great writing!!

Thanks, Aviana. I'm very connected to nature, and I had never seen this kind of flower before... there ended up being three of them over the next few days, before the buds died off, but I'm hoping they return next year. We should always appreciate what is around us... there is beauty and wonder everywhere. I am thankful you liked this and took the time to comment... cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ode is a precious reminder of my own reliance on the wonders of nature to sooth my soul in times of trouble.  Visit reminded me of a path to love I did not take, but stays with me in my dreams.  Thanks Gary!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, raven1 said:

Ode is a precious reminder of my own reliance on the wonders of nature to sooth my soul in times of trouble.  Visit reminded me of a path to love I did not take, but stays with me in my dreams.  Thanks Gary!

You're welcome, Terry. It gives me great pleasure when my poetry has an effect on a reader. When I am anxious or down, I seek out nature in the smallest ways. Sometimes a weed coming through an old patch of hay can capture my attention and divert my mind from my troubles. I truly believe we need that connection to the earth mother. It is in our genetic makeup to feel a part of this amazing world. 

Visit is the special kind of haunting that we welcome, for it is the soothing kind. I thought these poems belonged together. Cheers, my friend, and thank you. :hug: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..