Jump to content
    Laura S. Fox
  • Author
  • 5,598 Words
  • 4,017 Views
  • 45 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Good Guys Don't Date Bad Boys - 42. Meeting The Future In-Laws

Chapter Forty-Two – Meeting The Future In-Laws

Maddox couldn’t tear his eyes away as he watched Jonathan elegantly dismounting, as if he was starring in a movie about the wealthy offspring of an affluent family... which he totally was, of course. For Jonathan, this wasn’t a role; it was his life, and seeing him here, at his parents’ home, made the picture complete.

Jonathan smiled at him as he took off the riding hat and tried to civilize his hair. Maddox smirked and walked over to him. It was a real pleasure to run his hands through Jonathan’s usually neat hair that was now tousled and displayed a tiny bit of rebellion in the making.

“What?” Jonathan asked and cleared his throat, after a few moments spent staring into each other’s eyes.

“Did I already do this?” Maddox leaned in and brushed his lips against Jonathan’s. A small, soft sound escaped from that beautiful mouth and told him his attentions were much appreciated.

“A reminder is always nice,” Jonathan replied. He was the one to lean forward now, eager for another kiss.

Maddox let his arms slide around Jonathan’s waist. It felt good to have him so close again. Jonathan appeared to think the same as he moved his hands around Maddox’s neck, pressing his thumbs right under the earlobes. Maddox appreciated the thought, and especially how firm Jonathan’s touch was.

“Ahem,” someone said loudly, startling them.

They didn’t pull away from each other, though, their only compromise was stopping their kiss. Maddox saw the butler’s wrinkled face lit up by a big smile as he took them in.

“Maddox, this is Mr. Simmons,” Jonathan was the first to speak, stuttering in the most adorable manner, but without moving his hands away from Maddox’s neck.

“We met,” the butler confirmed. “I’m the one who gave him the UTV.”

“Of course, of course,” Jonathan said quickly and bit his bottom lip. “How is Rusty doing?” he asked, only then realizing that they had both forgotten they were supposed to rush to their friend’s assistance.

“Entertaining your parents, I believe.”

“Oh,” Jonathan managed.

“Nothing outrageous, I suppose,” Simmons said. “Although he has a tendency to put his hands everywhere.” The old man gestured vaguely. “He’s probably giving your mother a surge of emotion by examining some old vase from too up close right now.”

Maddox decided it was a good moment to intervene. “That’s Rusty for you. He never keeps his hands to himself, but he’s a good guy, I swear.”

“Well, I hope he breaks that ugly old thing,” Simmons murmured under his breath and shuddered in feigned disgust.

“What old thing?” Jonathan asked.

“Nothing, nothing, don’t pay me any mind,” Simmons replied brightly. “I was ordered to bring you, along with the tea.”

“I need to get out of these clothes first,” Jonathan said.

“I’ll help,” Maddox added brightly.

The old butler quirked an eyebrow. “You’re only allowed to wash your hands,” he said promptly.

“But--” Jonathan tried to reason.

“Your father promised that he would fire me today if I failed to bring you as quickly as possible. For all I know, it could already be too late.”

Jonathan groaned, apparently not in the least disturbed by the prospect of losing Simmons. “All right, we’re coming. Just let me take Asta back.”

“Very well,” Simmons acquiesced. “But don’t take long.”

“This dude’s a slave driver, isn’t he?” Maddox murmured as he followed Jonathan into the stables.

“I heard that,” the butler said affably.

“And I see no sign of failing hearing,” Maddox said under his breath, as well.

Jonathan was smiling at their exchange. “Don’t worry, Maddox. Mr. Simmons must like you very much. He doesn’t lend his noble steed, and by that I mean the vehicle you used, to just anyone.”

“I’ll take that,” Maddox admitted.

***

Jonathan had an inkling that it was only Mr. Simmons’s wish to whisk them away like that, not even allowing him to get out of his riding clothes. But he had proven quite rebellious in front of his parents by their standards and, now that Maddox was here, he wanted nothing else but for them to like him. It was a sort of secret wish, and he could live without their approval of Maddox, of course, but it would be nice to have it.

They both hurried after the impatient butler, who certainly didn’t look his age by how fast he sprinted in front of them, balancing the tea tray with flawless professionalism, as usual.

“Now I’m starting to get Rusty’s fears about drinking tea,” Maddox whispered.

“What fears are those?” Jonathan asked.

Maddox didn’t get a chance to reply because they appeared to have arrived at their destination. The double doors to the living room opened wide, and Jonathan stopped for a moment, confused, just as Maddox was. The musical notes of what could only be interpreted as someone vocalizing poured out of the room. Only that it was a male voice… and, of course, it dawned on him.

The surprise wasn’t that Rusty was doing his best to attack impossible notes, but his mom, who unceremoniously grabbed the college kid’s cheeks and forced them apart. “Stick your tongue out more, let it all flow,” she ordered.

Rusty was already leaning back in fear, grimacing in every possible way. That was no impediment to Jonathan’s mother, of course, who seemed keen on making him bend to her will.

“Don’t act so weak,” she chastised him. “You must be over six and a half feet tall. Your voice must come out a lot more powerfully than this. I’m not even a vocal coach, and I can count ten different mistakes you make.”

Jonathan hurried toward his mom. “Ahem,” he cleared his throat, “mom, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend, Maddox.”

She turned her attention to him with her eyebrows raised and released Rusty from her clutches. The poor thing walked backward quickly, rubbing his cheeks and staring at her, all wide-eyed, as if she was going to attack him again at any moment now.

Jonathan took Maddox by the shoulders and gave a strained smile to his mom. Somehow, he felt that her opinion mattered more than his dad’s. She zeroed in on Maddox, and her eyes narrowed slightly. “I’m Francine,” she said and offered him her hand, “Jonathan’s mother.” She let the last word drop as if it weighed a ton.

Maddox shook the offered hand with a straight face. “Nice to meet you, Francine. I’m Maddox, Jonathan’s boyfriend.” He spoke in the same manner as she had, emphasizing the last word.

The two opposing sides stared at each other for a moment, neither of them breaking the handshake, as if they needed time to assess each other. In the end, it was Jonathan’s mom who withdrew her hand. Then, she turned her eyes to her son. “He’s awfully pretty, isn’t he?”

Jonathan twisted his tongue into a knot in an effort to keep quiet.

“Mrs. H, I assure you,” Maddox said with the most dazzling smile Jonathan had ever seen, “I’m more than just a pretty face.”

“I’ll vouch for that,” Rusty added. Somehow, he had ended up behind the sofa and appeared to consider himself safe there. “He can touch his nose with his tongue.”

“No, I can’t,” Maddox contradicted his friend.

“Oh, yeah, that’s me,” Rusty agreed and began demonstrating that particular skill.

Jonathan pretended to be suddenly fascinated by an invisible crack in the ceiling. His mom didn’t seem taken aback by Rusty’s antics, however.

“Can you also sing?” Francine asked, examining Maddox with interest. Then, turning toward Rusty. “Not that you can, dear. There’s a mountain to climb until you get anywhere near that destination.”

Jonathan considered it a good moment to interrupt. “Mom, Rusty has a wonderful voice.”

Francine smiled, all-knowingly. “A so-called diamond in the rough has no value and no room to be displayed for people to see. It needs a lot of work first.”

Jonathan groaned. “That was a compliment, Rusty, trust me.”

“Taken,” Rusty agreed, with one hand up, after giving up on forcing his tongue out and up toward the tip of his nose.

“Tea is served, madam,” Mr. Simmons intervened.

“Can I skip the tea?” Rusty asked, with his hand still up.

“No. Simmons, I’m sure, bent over backwards to make it,” Francine said in an airy tone.

Hmm, Jonathan thought as he examined his mom briefly. That was a joke, which meant she was pleased.

“Don’t stand over there, come sit here,” she ordered Rusty, who had no choice but to obey the order and walk around the couch to sit by her side.

She said nothing while she poured each one a cup and handed the tea around. Rusty sniffed his cup and made a face but smiled broadly right away. “Smells like rich people’s tea,” he said.

Jonathan grinned and watched his mother’s reaction. Francine, however, seemed perfectly undisturbed, as if she was accustomed to treating college kids to tea every day. “So,” she started, “what are your intentions with my Jonathan, Maddox?”

“They’re of the best kind,” Maddox replied, without flinching.

“Mom, let’s not make this awkward. Don’t interrogate Maddox like this.”

“Ah, I see. What do you two have to hide?”

“Nothing,” Jonathan said defensively. She was an expert at dragging defensiveness out of him. Now, it seemed as if there was something to hide.

“Mrs. Hamilton--” Maddox began.

“Francine, please. No need for formalities since you’re interested in becoming one of us.”

“Mother,” Jonathan said a bit more pointedly to draw her attention.

“Maddox and Jonathan did it,” Rusty blurted out while fidgeting nervously in his place. “I mean, they’re in love and all that. I can sing at the wedding.”

The strange outburst from Rusty seemed enough to redirect the eye of Sauron. Francine turned toward the troublemaker. “You’ll sing at the wedding if I approve.”

“Maddox is just my boyfriend,” Jonathan decided that he needed to get the conversation back on a normal track. “Let’s not jump the shark here, all right?”

“Ah, and I thought this impromptu visit had a somewhat romantic reason behind it,” Francine said and sipped from her cup.

“We’re too young for that, don’t you think?” Jonathan hurried to say.

“So, romance is for old people nowadays?” Francine asked.

“We’re practical people,” Maddox intervened. “First, we need to finish our studies.”

“I see,” Francine said.

“And get jobs,” Maddox added. “And get to know each other a bit more.”

“So, you’re not sure,” Francine concluded. “That means that Jonathan can remain open to other prospects.”

Jonathan leaned forward, ready to contradict his mother, but Maddox was faster. “I’m completely sure. I just wanted you to know I’m responsible. But, heck, I guess there’s no point in hiding it. I’m here so that we can announce our engagement.”

That bombshell seemed enough to render his mother speechless for a moment. “Engagement? When did this happen?” Her inquisitive eyes rested on Jonathan again.

“It didn’t,” Jonathan decided to stop the madness. His mom and Maddox were like two poker players trying to bluff each other out of the hand. “We’re taking things as they come. I assure you that I’m not interested in other prospects,” he said the word and a tiny scoff for good measure, “and that Maddox is the one and only for me.”

“Same here, not in so many words,” Maddox chimed in.

“Can I sing at the engagement party?” Rusty intervened with a question of his own.

Good thing his dad walked in at that very moment. Usually, it wasn’t the kind of thing Jonathan was looking forward to, but his mom needed to be stopped somehow.

***

Maddox tried to maintain a reassuring smile the entire time, especially when Jonathan was looking at him, but on the inside, he was wound tight as a spring. Jonathan’s mom was a tough cookie, for sure, examining him with those unnerving eyes that looked exactly like his boyfriend’s. It was clear as day for anyone who looked that Jonathan took after her. The same aristocratic nose, the same slight frown, were shared by both mother and son, only softer in her. However, while Jonathan had a certain wariness he carried like a cloak, Francine Hamilton was the picture of self-assurance.

Therefore, he had no idea if he was even ready to meet Mr. Hamilton, now that he had met his wife. If she was a force to be reckoned with, how much of a hard-ass was he?

No time like the present to face his future in-laws, it seemed, because the doors opened, admitting a man in his fifties with a sour expression on his face. While his shoulders were stooped by age, he had a commanding presence, and Maddox could totally see where Jonathan picked up some of his mannerisms.

“We have guests, my dear,” Francine said in a suave tone, offering Maddox a sly smile.

Oh, so now she was eagerly waiting to see how he would fare against the big boss. Well, he was ready, as much as that mattered. Without waiting for another cue, he jumped to his feet and hurried toward Mr. Hamilton with his arm extended. “I’m Maddox Kingsley, sir, Jonathan’s--”

“Boyfriend,” Mr. Hamilton completed his sentence and shook his hand very briefly. “Of your friend,” he gestured vaguely at Rusty, “I’m already aware.”

Rusty grimaced like a kid caught doing something frowned upon and put his cup on the saucer on the table using both hands with infinite, comical, care.

Mr. Hamilton sat opposite him, which gave Maddox free rein to watch his opponent’s every move. Jonathan was the only one still standing, and it didn’t look like his parents were bothered by that in the least.

“Have you seen the Kincaids out, dear?” Francine asked and sipped her tea. Rusty was watching her with disturbing intensity. Maddox barely kept himself from leaning over and slapping his friend upside the head. After all, he had dragged Rusty there, and Rusty was Rusty, regardless of circumstances. Something told him that it would do the Hamiltons a bit of good to see someone so out of their social circle drinking tea in their giant living room.

“Of course,” Mr. Hamilton replied, his eyes never leaving Maddox. Maybe the man expected him to squirm under that scrutinizing gaze. No luck there, though. Maddox was sure he was the picture of chillaxation, without looking too loose-limbed. “They were disappointed that they didn’t have a proper chance to say goodbye. To you and Jonathan.” For a fraction of a second, Mr. Hamilton turned his hawk-like eyes to his son.

By how Jonathan straightened up and cleared his throat, that was some kind of scolding. The Kincaids, right. Those were Drew’s parents, plus the asshole. Good thing they were gone.

“We’ve said enough goodbyes to one another to last us a lifetime,” Francine said and smiled.

Her husband didn’t appear particularly pleased with her reply but said nothing. Then, his attention turned to Maddox. “So, Maddox, what do your parents do?”

“They run a construction company together. My oldest brother, Vern, is mostly in charge now, and whenever we have the time, the rest of us help.”

“How so?” Mr. Hamilton asked.

Maddox took a look at his hands. Jonathan had told him that he loved his hands. “I work on site, depending on the project. Yes, I’m talking about the grunt work,” he said without hesitation. He had no reason to pretend to be someone else.

“You’re majoring in--” Mr. Hamilton changed tack.

“Economics,” he supplied.

Mr. Hamilton nodded. “Jonathan says you’re doing well in school.”

There was no question mark anywhere, so Maddox didn’t say anything, waiting for more than that.

“He used to be the king of Sunny Hill. Now I’m the king,” Rusty broke the unnerving silence.

This time, Maddox moved one foot and kicked Rusty in the shin, hopefully quick enough that no one would notice. Rusty gave him a panicked glance.

“Is this title related to some popularity contest?” Mr. Hamilton asked.

“Obviously,” Francine said, although the question couldn’t have been directed at her. “Today, our son brought home two handsome young men. This one,” she pointed at Rusty, “even shows some promise. You’ll listen to him sing later.”

“Oh,” Mr. Hamilton replied and frowned. “What kind of promise do you show, Maddox?”

Maddox was about to start selling himself hard, when Jonathan intervened. “He’s a good man, and that’s not a promise, it’s a reality,” he said sharply.

The tone of his voice must have been unusual because both his parents strained their necks to glare at him. However, Jonathan, although still a bit disheveled from his earlier ride and Maddox’s kiss, stood his ground. “That is the most important thing I care about. If you don’t approve of Maddox, say it now. I’ve discovered recently that I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself, so--”

Mr. Hamilton interrupted. “No need for dramatics, Jonathan. Your friends are welcome for as long as they wish to stay. As for your future, which seems so cloudy to you at the moment, we will speak of at length once you can spare a moment for us to talk alone.”

Was that it? If the way Francine offered her husband a cup of tea and steered the conversation toward some generic topics was any indication, so it seemed. Maddox had to admit that he was a bit disappointed, seeing how he had been so valiantly prepared to go to war with the final boss.

***

“Rusty, I’m so going to kill you,” Maddox groaned as soon as they were out of the room.

“Sorry, man, I got nervous and shit,” Rusty replied. “Hamilton, dude, your folks are downright scary.”

“You’ve seen nothing, Rusty, trust me,” Jonathan decided to pour some more gasoline over the fire.

“For real? Ah, man, this is like the weirdest winter break ever,” Rusty complained.

Rusty was right, of course. His parents were difficult to talk to and kept to themselves and whoever they considered their own. Jonathan stole a glance at Maddox, waiting to see the first signs of disappointment. But Maddox just looked back and hooked one arm over his shoulders. “What do you think, babe? Did I knock them off their feet or what?”

Jonathan let out a sigh of relief. “Totally. But you know it doesn’t matter, right?”

“Did I get you in trouble by saying that you two did it?” Rusty intervened.

“I’m sure they have no doubts about the ‘doing it’ part,” Jonathan said. “After that whole thing with Drew--” He swallowed his words.

“Who’s Drew?” Rusty asked. “Did you do it with him, too?”

Maddox took both of them by surprise by swatting Rusty upside the head. “That’s none of your business, dude.”

“All right, all right. But I was just trying to help.”

“Really?” Maddox asked, still keeping one hand wrapped tightly around the back of Rusty’s neck.

“Yeah. I mean, these dudes are really old-fashioned, right? Sorry, Jonathan.”

“No worries,” Jonathan said and bit his bottom lip trying hard not to laugh. He had a feeling Rusty held the key to rattling his parents’ conservative ways.

“So, if they find out that you two did it, they’ll pull a shotgun wedding on you. Problem solved,” Rusty offered in what seemed to be quite a serious tone.

“We’re not at some redneck ranch, Rusty,” Maddox insisted and shook his friend by the neck hard enough to earn a heartfelt ‘ouch’ from him. “These guys might sue me for millions for taking Jonathan’s V-card.”

“V-card?” Rusty perked up right away.

“Shut up, you ass,” Maddox said quickly and threw a guilty look at Jonathan.

Jonathan kissed him quickly on the cheek. “Well, for all that’s worth, it went better than expected. Mr. Simmons is readying your rooms. And truly, you two can stay for as long as you want.”

“Can we stay for Christmas? Will we get some really cool expensive gifts? Like a Ferrari or something?” Rusty asked, bouncing up and down on his feet, regardless of how Maddox tried to keep him still.

“My parents don’t know you that well yet,” Jonathan played along with the joke. “Maybe next year, who knows? But Rusty, how come you sang in front of my mom? I thought it was a very well-guarded secret.”

“I had no idea what to do. And I touched the piano, and your mom thought I was not all here,” Rusty pointed at his temple, “so she might have wanted to calm me down by playing that huge thing, so I thought that I had no choice but to sing, shock her with my uncanny abilities, and then… well, it wasn’t like I had a plan or anything. The moment I started singing, she jumped up from behind the piano and started shouting all kinds of things at me.”

Maddox patted his friend on the back in sympathy. “My dude, I don’t think you shocked her or anything.”

Rusty pouted. “No, she says I suck.”

Jonathan reached behind Maddox to squeeze Rusty’s shoulder in sympathy. “When I hear words like that coming out of my mom’s mouth, I’ll know the world is ending. I know her well, and she was damned impressed, Rusty. But my family believes in excellence above all else, which is why she was torturing you when we came in. If she went to the trouble to tell you anything, that’s because she thinks you’re capable of being the best.”

“That’s true,” Maddox confirmed. “I mean, it looked like she really took a liking to you.”

Rusty’s pleased grin let them know that everything was all right in the world.

“Hey, guys, I didn’t even ask you if you were hungry.”

“I ate all the cookies on that nice tray,” Rusty said promptly. “Ugh, your mom must think something else weird about me now.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that if I were you. And I bet Mrs. Day, our cook, is really happy now, after seeing that, finally, someone appreciates her efforts.”

“I would like to appreciate her efforts every day,” Rusty said promptly.

“However,” Jonathan insisted, “cookies aren’t real food, so how about we stop by the kitchen? But let’s not let my folks know about it. They’re very strict about having meals on a schedule, but you two have come a long way, and I don’t want to be a bad host.”

“I don’t need any food when I have you,” Maddox declared but right at that moment, as if to contradict him, his belly rumbled loudly.

Jonathan laughed and wrapped his arm tightly around Maddox’s waist. “Let’s see if Mrs. Day has something lying around that counts as food.”

“What if she tells on us to your mom?” Rusty asked.

“I’ll plead guilty,” Jonathan assured him.

***

Maddox didn’t want to let Jonathan know how impressed he was with everything around, but Rusty didn’t have the same problem at all. “Are those real paintings? Is that like, crystal, or something? I bet the electricity bill is huge.”

Jonathan politely offered answers to everything and looked at Maddox from time to time with a big smile on his face. They didn’t even have to talk to know that they were all right with each other.

They walked into a modern kitchen that appeared to belong more in a high-class restaurant than a normal house, but they weren’t in some normal house, to begin with. The old lady watching over some steaming pots turned to look at them with a surprised expression on her face. “Jonathan,” she said, “what are you doing here? Dinner is hours away.”

“I know, Mrs. Day, but my friends are really hungry, so I was wondering if there’s something around here so that I can make some sandwiches for them.”

“I’ll see to it,” the old lady said, but Jonathan stopped her.

“Just tell me where I can find some ham and cheese, and I’ll take it from there,” Jonathan said.

She looked even more surprised. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. College life taught me some real-life skills lately.”

She nodded thoughtfully. Her manner toward Jonathan seemed more reserved than the butler’s, but Maddox had an inkling that Simmons had a soft spot for Jonathan, and the other way around too. Mrs. Day pointed Jonathan to where he could find what he needed and observed him from the corner of one eye as he began making sandwiches for everyone. By how she quirked her eyebrows now and then, Maddox could tell that her surprise was only growing with each passing moment.

“Let’s take these with us,” Maddox said as he grabbed a sandwich, “and you can show us around.”

Jonathan nodded, and Rusty was more than happy to take two and stare with a forlorn expression at the last one left. Maddox took it to save the poor man from the pangs of indecision. “I’ll keep this one for you.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Day,” Jonathan said politely. “And please forgive us for intruding on you like this.”

“No worries, Jonathan,” Mrs. Day replied as she turned toward her pots. “It’s not every day I see a Hamilton making his own sandwiches.” She said the last words a lot more quietly.

“It looks like you shocked your cook,” Maddox said as soon as they were outside, munching on their sandwiches.

“She’s my parents’ cook,” Jonathan took care to point out. “I bet you guys now think that I’m some snotty, uptight jerk, seeing how my family lives.”

“Nah,” Rusty hurried to contradict him, “that’s what we thought when we didn’t know you.”

“Oh,” Jonathan said in feigned surprise. “Was that true for you, as well, Maddox?”

“No, of course not. I fell for you at first sight, don’t you remember?”

“Nah,” Rusty interjected again, “he hated your guts at first sight. Then, he changed his mind. By the way, how did that happen?”

“None of your business, asshole,” Maddox said with good humor.

“One day, you’ll have to tell me. Or I’ll just ask Jonathan. Yo, Hamilton, do you have like a magic stick or something to turn dudes gay?”

“Rusty, I don’t show my magic stick to just anyone,” Jonathan again played along with the joke.

“Ah, but you did. You showed it to me for like a second. If I turn gay, it’s all your fault,” Rusty said.

“Just eat your sandwiches,” Maddox scolded his friend and pushed his shoulder. “And stop reminding me that you saw Jonathan’s junk. If you were less of a friend to me, I would have had to take serious measures, like challenge you to a fight or something.”

“What do you guys want to see first? Maddox, you’ve seen the stables--”

“Stables? Like with horses? Real horses?” Rusty jumped into the conversation.

“Yes, very real horses.”

“Let’s go there first,” Rusty declared. “Oh, sorry, Maddie, did you want to go see something boring, like a museum?” he drawled in a phony accent.

“Rusty, there’s no museum here,” Jonathan said. “And stop teasing Maddox. As his boyfriend, I might have to take his side and think of a proper punishment for you.”

“As long as it’s kinky, I’ll take it,” Rusty said.

They all laughed. Maddox didn’t regret for a moment bringing Rusty along. Jonathan looked so happy right now.

***

After half a day spent showing Maddox and Rusty the grounds, Jonathan felt more alive and free than he had ever remembered feeling at his parents’ home. Mr. Simmons had proven very efficient in preparing two rooms for the guests and had insisted on repeating what room Maddox was in so often that Jonathan had to assure him that he understood that bit very well.

Now, that everyone was supposedly heading to their rooms to sleep, and the household was getting quiet, there was only one thing he wanted to do. The door to his dad’s study was slightly ajar, which meant that they could share a word before bedtime.

His mom’s voice stopped him before he could reach the door. “It is his choice.”

“Francine, it must be merely a fling. I’m not blind. The boy is very handsome, and Jonathan appears to have a soft spot for handsome boys like that. The thing with Andrew Kincaid wouldn’t have happened otherwise.”

Even though he knew that eavesdropping wasn’t a good idea in general, he just couldn’t stop.

“You know I rarely contradict you, but I beg to differ this time. I haven’t seen Jonathan smile like that in a very long time.”

“And is smiling important?” his dad asked with a scoff.

“Yes, it is,” his mom said sharply. “Throughout Jonathan’s life, we’ve made decisions for him, decisions we believed to be for his own good. But he left home, George, and that means we failed. Not only that we failed, but that we failed him.”

“I don’t understand why he would prefer this boy over Andrew,” his dad continued, although by the way his voice became defensive, Jonathan could tell he wasn’t as sure of his opinions as he usually presented himself to be.

“Because Andrew is, pardon my French, George, what people call an asshole.”

The short silence that followed confirmed to Jonathan that his dad was just as shocked to hear his mom say something like that as he was.

“Not even a blind man would think that his apology was genuine. He was just annoyed to be here, doing what he should have been doing a long time ago. And aren’t we forgetting something?” his mom continued. “Andrew has a drug problem. Is that something you look for in a son-in-law?”

“Son-in-law? Aren’t we getting a little bit ahead of ourselves?”

“If Maddox Kingsley is the one my son wants, I don’t have a problem with it. The boy has a spine, obviously. I know that it must be difficult to hear about old history, but I recall very well that the first Hamilton who set foot in these parts was a bricklayer. As for my family, you know that they weren’t wealthy, either, when they left their old homes behind in search of a better life.”

Jonathan stood there, completely nonplussed. Well, now that was some history he didn’t know about.

“Yes, we have a name to uphold and protect,” his mom continued, “and yes, it took generations to get where we are, but that doesn’t mean that we should become blind to our roots.”

“Don’t we want more for our son?” his dad asked. “Doesn’t he deserve more?”

“I really hope, George, and for your own good, that by that you don’t mean Andrew Kincaid. I detest that boy now, and his parents should have known to educate him better.”

“We don’t know Maddox Kingsley very well,” his dad pointed out.

“We don’t have to. Jonathan is the one who needs to know him. And for once in our lives, dear, let’s prove to our son that we trust him and that we believe in him. We haven’t been very good parents to him lately.”

“He has grown a lot,” his dad admit it. “He’s his own person now.”

“And? Does that scare you?” his mom asked.

No answer came.

“Because it does scare me,” his mom continued, “but I’ll be damned if I’m letting the Kincaids have my boy just because they seem like such a safe bet. Maddox Kingsley is welcome here and to the family, as long as that’s what he wants.”

“Is that your final word on this?” his dad asked.

“Yes.”

“Will you stop being mad at me if I agree?”

“Only if you agree with it from the heart.”

Jonathan heard some rustling of clothes and decided to walk a few steps away. He could tell that his parents were kissing, something he didn’t recall ever seeing them do in front of him.

“However,” he heard his mom speaking again, “that doesn’t mean you don’t have free rein to put Maddox Kingsley through the wringer. He looks to me like a stubborn determined man. I’d love to see that used to express how sure he is of wanting my boy.”

“You mean, our boy, dear,” his dad said in a tender voice that Jonathan had never heard him use before.

“Of course. Maddox and his friend, the wunderkind in progress, have to stay here for Christmas, so I’m going to be very busy tomorrow.”

“There’s still some time until tomorrow,” his dad said.

Jonathan grimaced at the seductive tone in his dad’s voice. Well, he really didn’t need to eavesdrop on his parents getting lovey-dovey with each other. He made sure to make no sound as he moved away, only to almost blow his cover when he found himself face to face with Mr. Simmons.

He put a finger to his mouth to signal that he didn’t want his presence to be revealed. The butler nodded with a pleasant smile and then leaned over. “Maddox is in the room--”

“Oh, gawd, Mr. Simmons,” Jonathan whispered, “I do have a working memory, you know?”

“Oh, gawd? All right, I’m finally convinced you changed for the better during your time away from home. I will go ask your father if he needs anything before I retire.”

“Better not,” Jonathan said airily as he hurried past the butler. “I think he’ll appreciate it if you didn’t, just this one time.”

He felt quite pleased with himself as he left a somewhat perplexed Mr. Simmons behind.

TBC

Well, Christmas will be celebrated at the Hamiltons. And everyone will receive gifts? Not a Ferrari, though, Rusty, what are you even thinking...
I hope you enjoyed it!
See you next time,
Laura.
Copyright © 2021 Laura S. Fox; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 53
  • Haha 14
  • Wow 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 9/9/2022 at 3:49 PM, scrubber6620 said:

Maddox and Rusty passed the first gauntlet and met the parents of Jonathan. His mother, call me Francine, put them through the ringer and liked them both. Rusty was like a very young kid who could not stop talking at the wrong moments. Francine wad critically impressed by his singing voice.

Jonathan made clear that Maddox was for him, not Drew. Maddox professed his love for Jonathan to Francine, They all survived tea and will stay for Christmas. 

Jonthan found out eavesdropping that his mother really like Maddox and saw his as much better than Drew who she thought to be an insincere asshole. She debated his father and they agreed to honor Janathan's wishes and the he heard  them kiss and shockingly became romantic. Having Maddox and Jonathan around was a tonic for his parents.

 

I hope Christmas continues this upbeat path.

Yes, Christmas will be nice, and that's a promise... I'm already honoring as the new chapter is up :)

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..