Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,454 Words
  • 6,729 Views
  • 52 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Choices - 20. Chapter 20

Chapter 20

 

“Liam.” A deep, comforting voice spoke as if from a great distance. “Baby, come on. I need you to stay awake, okay?” Liam recognized Alek’s voice and was confused as to why the man sounded so worried.

“Tired,” he mumbled, snuggling closer to the delicious-smelling warmth.

“I know you are, but you have to wake up.”

Liam grumbled incoherently and tried to burrow deeper. Someone else chuckled close by. Who was that?

“You’re going to have your work cut out for you trying to keep him awake.”

It look Liam a few seconds to recognize Corey’s voice. Corey? Why was Corey there? Suddenly the night’s events came back to him: Alek, the bar, the asshole, getting punched in the face. He grimaced as the pain in his eye made its presence known. That fucking hurt.

As awareness came back, he realized he was in a moving vehicle, and practically sitting in Alek’s lap. Embarrassed, he tried to pull back, but Alek’s strong arm around his shoulders didn’t let him get far.

“Just relax,” Alek said quietly, “but don’t fall asleep. You might have a concussion so I need you to stay awake for a while.”

Liam stifled a yawn and rested his head on the other man’s strong shoulder. “I’m so tired.”

“Well you did have a few beers, and it’s pretty late,” Jason spoke from the driver’s seat. “Not surprised you’re wiped out.”

The vehicle rocked slightly as they pulled into Alek’s driveway. Alek opened the door and jumped out, turning to reach for Liam. “Come on, let’s get you inside.”

Liam took the offered hand and scooted across the seat to stand in the driveway, shivering in the chilly night air.

“Goodnight, Corey. Jason. Thanks for the ride,” Alek said as he pulled Liam closer to his large, warm body.

“Night. Take care of him. He still looks woozy,” Corey said, leaning across Jason’s lap and out the driver’s side window.

“I will.”

“I’m right here you know,” Liam griped. He hated being talked about like he was invisible.

“Obviously,” Corey said, with a teasing tone, “but I know you well enough to realize if left up to your own devices, you’d crawl into the nearest bed and sleep, even with a possible concussion.”

Liam glared, but knew his boss was right. Even now, he just wanted to curl up under a warm blanket and close his eyes. Waving goodbye, Liam followed Alek into the house. They hung up their jackets in the mudroom and went to the livingroom.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Alek asked after Liam settled onto the comfortable leather couch. Alek’s place was a typical bachelor pad, decorated in warm earth tones and comfortable leather furniture. Liam had fallen in love with the place when he’d first seen it.

“Tea?” he asked with a sigh. He was so tired. Maybe a little caffeine would help.

“Okay. Sit tight. I’ll be right back, and then maybe we can watch a movie?”

“Not a horror.”

Alek chuckled and shook his head. “No, not a horror. Why don’t you pick something?” With another warning to stay awake, he headed for the kitchen. Liam listened to the sounds of puttering in the kitchen for a few minutes before walking to the big picture window. The streetlights burned bright along the road, highlighting the barren trees lining the sidewalks. Liam knew in the summer those trees would be lush and green, adding needed shade and beauty to the quaint neighbourhood.

“Here you go.”

Turning, he smiled and gratefully and accepted the mug of hot liquid. “Thank you.” Taking a sip he hummed with approval. “Earl Grey. You remembered.”

Alek’s smile was bashful as he looked down at his own cup. “Of course. Besides, you got me addicted to the stuff.”

Liam wasn’t sure what he wanted to watch, so after some discussion, they settled on Guardians of the Galaxy. Rocket the Raccoon was hilarious, and Chris Pratt was hot. The movie was enjoyable, but Liam was tired and, having a hard time keeping his eyes open. By the time the credits were rolling he felt as though his eyelids were being weighed down.

“I think it’s safe to let you sleep for a while,” Alek said quietly, pulling him to his feet, and leading him to the spare room. Alek left him at the door and walked over to switch on the bedside lamp, creating a warm light in the room. “Hop in.” He pulled the comforter back and gestured towards the bed.

Liam bit back a giggle when Alek pulled the comforter up to his chin.

“What?”

Unable to stop it this time, the laughter bubbled up. “I was just wondering if you were going to kiss my forehead goodnight and get me a glass of water, Dad.”

Alek rolled his eyes and stood, crossing his arms over his broad chest. “Brat.” The smile on his face took the sting out of the rebuke.

“Oh, please. You love that about me.”

Alek’s smile slipped and his eyes turned sad. “Yeah, I do.” He breathed in deeply, letting it out in a slow exhale. “Sorry. I shouldn’t have said that.”

Liam didn’t know how to respond, except to smile. “I appreciate you letting me stay the night.”

“Of course. Honestly, I would’ve been worried about you all night if you weren’t nearby.” Alek’s grin came back as he winked. “You could say this is more for me than for you.”

Liam chuckled and snuggled down into the thick duvet. “Goodnight, Alek.”

“Goodnight, Liam.”

 

It was dark when Liam felt a hand gently shake his shoulder. “Liam?”

“Yeah?” he responded, trying to remember where he was. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing,” Alek whispered. “It’s been two hours. I wanted to check to make sure everything is okay.”

Liam rolled his eyes in the dimly lit room, feeling a twinge of pain. “I’m fine, Alek. I promise.”

“I know I’m probably worrying for nothing, but I don’t want to take any chances. Not with you.”

Liam’s heart thumped in his chest, and his breath caught. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Alek placed a light kiss on his forehead before walking back to the open door. “I’ll see you again in two more hours.”

Liam turned on his side and closed his eyes. He’d almost forgotten how protective Alek could be. With a smile on his face he fell back to sleep.

 

Alek woke him up a few more times during the night, and by the fourth check-in Liam decided it was time to get up. He was happy to find his headache was mostly gone, although his eye still ached.

“I’m not sure I want to see what this looks like,” he said with a grimace as he prodded the area.

“It’s just some bruising. You’re still gorgeous.” Alek crouched in front of him and gently stroked across his brow. Liam found himself leaning into the touch before he realized what he was doing.

“You must be exhausted having to get up for me all hours of the night.”

“I’m fine. You know me: I can handle a lot less sleep than most people.”

“That’s true,” Liam agreed. “You were always out of bed long before me.”

“Would you like some breakfast?”

“Breakfast would be great, but what I really want is a shower.”

“Go ahead,” Alek replied, standing from his crouched position. “I think I may even have a few things of yours around here for you to change into.”

Liam started in surprise. Alek had kept his things all this time? “Really?”

“Yeah,” Alek replied, sounding sheepish. “I knew you didn’t want to see me, but I didn’t have the heart to get rid of them. Go on, get in the shower and I’ll see what I have.”

Feeling slightly dazed, Liam made his way to the bathroom. After taking a piss, he stood in front of the mirror, frowning at the deep bruising around his eye. The area was as puffy and angry-looking as it felt. With a shake of his head, he grabbed a spare toothbrush from the drawer and brushed his teeth before climbing into the shower. The hot, steaming water was just what the doctor ordered, and he could feel the tension in his muscles dissipate. Knowing Alek was cooking for him, he didn’t linger, and hurriedly washed and dried himself before wrapping a towel around his waist. In the bedroom and found a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and one of Alek’s large, comfy sweatshirts folded neatly on the freshly made bed. With a smile he dressed and then followed the sounds of food preparation into the kitchen. He’d just entered the room when Alek turned with a steaming mug in his hand.

“Sit. Breakfast will be another minute.”

Liam dutifully sat and wrapped his fingers around the warm cup. Inhaling the delicious aroma of sizzling bacon and hot buttered toast, he took a sip of his drink. After plating the food, Alek took a seat beside him, and they talked about their evening, the movie, and how well Liam had slept, even with all of the interruptions. In all of their months apart, this was one of the things he missed the most: just sitting and enjoying a morning with the man.

“Have you given any more thought to pressing charges against Bill?” Alek asked as they washed and dried their dishes.

Liam sighed, leaning against the counter. “Do you really think I should? I mean, I did taunt him.” He went on to explain what he’d said to the man at the bar.

“I don’t care what you said to him. He didn’t have a right to hit you. It was a hate crime, Li. You deserve some justice. I’ll even come with you to the police station, if you want.”

“You will?”

“Of course. We can go now if you’d like.”

“Okay. I would like that.” Even though Liam knew Alek and Corey were right, and he really did need to press charges, he wasn’t crazy about going to the station by himself. Alek’s steadying support would help to keep him calm.

The trip to the station was quick, and soon they were standing in front of the reception desk, telling the grouchy- looking woman why they were there. They were directed to a nearby sitting area, and Liam tried to be patient as they waited for an officer to be free. After fifteen minutes, a relatively young man in uniform entered the room and invited them to follow him through the security doors to a small office down the hall.

“How can I help you this morning?” the officer asked, with a kind smile.

Liam looked to Alek, who smiled encouragingly and nodded. With a fortifying breath, he explained what had taken place the night before. The officer said little, and wrote in the notebook in front of him. Alek chimed in at one point, explaining how Rene had pulled Bill off Liam and taken him to the bouncers to be dealt with.

The young officer typed at a computer, and scanned the information he’d found before speaking. “Myles Culhaine, a security officer from Raxx’s, filed a report about the incident last night. What you’ve said more or less corroborates his statement. I assume since you’re here you’d like to press charges.”

“Yes,” Liam replied after a moment’s hesitation.

“You don’t sound very sure.”

“I know I taunted the man,” Liam replied, lowering his eyes to the pock-marked, battered, tabletop.

“Mr. MacPherson.” The man put down his pen and looked directly at Liam. “Regardless of what you said, he did not have the right to hit you. You have every right to press charges. The fact that his comments prior to the assault were homophobic in nature make this a hate crime. Our captain does not look kindly on perpetrators of that type of hatred.”

Liam’s breath hitched when he saw the burning determination in the police officer’s eyes, almost as if this was personal to him in some way. “Okay. Yes. I want to press charges.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Liam saw Alek smiling, and looking both relieved and proud. As scary as the whole situation was, having Alek with him seemed to make everything more bearable. The police officer, who’d introduced himself as Jarret Tate, handed Liam a card and told him to call if he had any questions or concerns about the investigation. Liam thanked the man, and let Alek guide him back out of the building. Although he knew he wasn’t the one in trouble, Liam was relieved to be out of there and in the fresh air.

They’d only just climbed into the truck when Alek’s cell phone started to ring.

“Go ahead, answer it,” Liam said with a smile, buckling his seatbelt.

Liam tried not to listen to the conversation, but whoever was on the other line sounded agitated.

“Is everything okay?” he asked when Alek ended the call.

“That was Andy. He’s manning the shop today, and can’t find his keys for the storage building where we keep a lot of our extra parts. There’s a Bentley he promised to get out this morning, and the only filters we have that fit the damned thing are locked in storage.”

“Don’t you have an extra set?”

Alek raised his key ring and jingled the many keys dangling from it. “Yeah, right here.”

Liam chuckled at Alek’s disgruntled look. “Well, you could go and open the door for them.”

“Would you mind?” Alek asked, sounding relieved.

“Not at all. Can’t leave your guys hanging, or have an unhappy customer.”

“We’ll just stop for a second so I can give Andy the key, and then maybe we can go and have lunch somewhere?”

The hope in Alek’s voice made him feel warm inside. “I’d like that.”

 

Liam chose to wait in the truck while Alek headed inside. He came out a few seconds later with an agitated-looking, stocky brunette in dirty coveralls. The two men headed around the back of the building and disappeared from sight. Liam leaned his head back against the headrest, and closed his eyes, enjoying the sunshine coming in through the window. The sound of a car driving up pulled him from his near doze, and his eyes widened in surprise when he recognized Alek’s dad stepping out of the dark vehicle. The man looked at him with obvious curiosity and Liam squirmed under the intense stare. Before he could decide what to do, Alek came back around the corner and stopped dead in his tracks.

“Dad,” he said, looking uncomfortable. “What are you doing here?”

 
A big thank you and several :glomp: go out to my rock star editor and friend, Gary.  Thank you to everyone who reads and supports this story.  :thankyou:   Your comments are always appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 60
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Just now, Wesley8890 said:

I agree with @Bndmetl about the hangers. The Alek I'm reading about now is not the same guy from the beginning of the story. I love how he dotes on Liam

Kind of like another Liam I know. LOL.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So what will the verdict be? Could his father actually have come to terms with things? Not very likely the way their row was described. Liam doesn't seem to be fit for another fight, even if it doesn't turn physical. And they were having such a lovely time...

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Alex’s behavior is that of a friend. I don’t think he’s changed enough. The question was never whether he cared or not, it was how he made Liam feel when he kept denying Liam.

Link to comment

Nothing wrong with cliff hangers .... as long as you own up to the responsibility of sending out a new chapter soon to take us out of our misery - if only to the next cliff

Great chapter - I really enjoy how the friendship is developing slowly and nuanced as we and Liam take stock of Alec

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'll use that word @LadyDe coined - Thank you LitL for "cliffing" us, again ... thank you <extra  sarcastic tone> 

 

I believe that the sweet and heart warming interaction between Liam and Alek would be the first glimpse of a domestic scene with the two of them; the previous romantic interlude featuring these two was outdoors (if I remember correctly) ...  this is great, so deliciously sappy !

 

<drumming fingers, not saying a word, drumming fingers>

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Reading this chapter again I just realized Liam is going commando. :P 

That’s what you got out of this chapter?!?!?!?!?

Link to comment
45 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

That’s what you got out of this chapter?!?!?!?!?

 

Erm, drought, this is what Tim got out of this chapter...

On 6/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, Timothy M. said:

I'm not going to comment on the Cliffie Queen 0:)  But I'm very happy Liam went ahead and pressed charges, and Alek certainly increased his chances of winning Liam back with his recent behavior. It wil be interesting to see whether he'll introduce Liam as the love of his life which his parents' attitude caused him to lose. :evil:   And Police Officer Tate may be someone to introduce to Nathan once the case is settled. ;)  Bryce needs some competition. :lol: 

 

5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Reading this chapter again I just realized Liam is going commando. :P 

The key word is again. ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter, Lit! :)

 

I'm glad Liam pressed charges. It was nice that the security guard also pressed charges. It was also refreshing that the police don't tolerate hate crimes. :)

 

I actually thought it was sweet the way Alek was doting on Liam and waking him up every two hours to check on him. But why didn't they put ice on his eye?! Or a steak, like they do in the movies. :lol:

 

Now what's Alek's father going to bitch about now?

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Drew Espinosa said:

 

Erm, drought, this is what Tim got out of this chapter...

 

The key word is again. ;) 

It’s funnier my way!  ;-)

 

‘Erm’? Are you British now?

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..