Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 4,425 Words
  • 6,381 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Be Rad - 33. Chapter 33

October 7, 1980

“So you don't care about me enough to come pick me up at the airport?” Tonto asked as I gave her a big hug.

“I was a bit burnt out on driving, but if you want me to prove that I love you, let's get in the car and I'll ride to the airport and back with you,” I told her.

“Bah.” She wandered into the house and saw Stefan. “You have a nice house here. It's a shame you never invite me down to visit and enjoy it,” she said. Stefan was her favorite person to give shit to.

“I am worried that all the late night parties and orgies would bother you,” he said, and gave her a kiss and a hug.

“You're afraid I just might join in,” she responded. The thought of a bunch of Hollywood hunks, in the middle of a gay orgy, when a naked old lady strolled in was hilarious. “Besides, it will still be quieter here. Less yelling.”

“Yelling?” I asked. Yelling at Escorial was rare, and when it happened, I was usually the one doing it. “Who was yelling?”

“Your father and mother,” Tonto said. “Isidore came home from the hospital with Billy and decided that since Robbie was gone, there was no reason to send Billy away. I've never seen JP so angry, certainly not at Isidore.”

“How is Billy?” Robbie asked.

“His mind or his body?” Tonto said gruffly. “His body is damaged. He has a bruised rib and a broken arm. He'll be in a cast for a while. His mind is, well, I don't like to speak ill of the ill.”

“How is his mind ill?” I asked.

“He came home and had an arrogant attitude. It was as if your departure, and that of Mouse and Roger, was somehow a big victory. No one is talking to anyone.”

“Hold on a minute. Where did Roger and Mouse go?”

“After Billy got home and it became clear that he'd be staying, Roger took Mouse back to the winery.”

“Roger moved out? JP must really be devastated.” I tried to imagine what it must be like for him.

“Do not hate him, Brad. I have never seen him so at a loss, so conflicted.”

“I don't hate him Tonto. I'm not even mad at him.” They all looked at me, surprised. “He just has a different way of looking at things. His priorities are different.”

“How are they different?” Stefan asked.

“Dad sees a family as a group of individuals, and he has obligations to each of those individuals. I see it as a whole group, and I think you have to make decisions based on what's good for everyone in that group.”

“You sound like a psychologist,” Robbie teased.

Tonto changed the subject. “So where is this boat you're going to name after me? I want to go on a cruise and be immortalized on this yacht.” Stefan smiled and rolled his eyes. They'd meant it as a joke, the naming thing. Oops.

“I will talk to Greg and see if he will take us for an excursion this weekend. Perhaps Saturday. He works during the week.” He got serious again. “Have you decided what you plan to do?”

That question was directed to me. I saw Robbie looking at me, waiting for me to answer. In the past that had bothered me, made me feel smothered. But I understood him now. He would watch and intercede where he needed to. Metaphorically speaking, he was an editor, not an author. My English teacher, Mrs. Marsden, would be proud of me for actually using the crap she taught us. My former English teacher, I should say. “I haven't thought it through yet.”

I looked at Robbie. “What do you think life would be like for us at Gunn?”

I saw him fight back the standard response. “I don't know. Probably ugly.”

“But we don't know. I feel like a coward for running away. For not giving people a chance to still be our friends.” I saw Stefan smiling. I turned on him. “You planned this. You knew that if you gave me a safe place to land and let me calm down, I'd be tempted to go back.”

“People always underestimate me,” he said.

“Even if we went back, where would we live?” Robbie asked.

“That is not such a big problem,” Stef said. “Bradley, you are 18 now, a legal adult. You can own property on your own. There are certain financial details that we must discuss, but suffice it to say that there is sufficient money for you to purchase your own home in Palo Alto.”

“Our own house,” Robbie mused. “I can't wait to see you in the kitchen with an apron on.”

“Yeah, like that's going to happen. Only if you want to live on burnt toast.”

“I don't think that JP is going to be too thrilled about two high school boys living by themselves. He still has guardianship of Robbie,” Tonto observed. Stefan looked at her meaningfully, and then Robbie and I caught on.

“Oh no you don't. I already got rid of one house. I'm not getting another one.” In Tonto's vernacular, that was a “yes.” “I just get here and you're already trying to get rid of me.”

“The other option is for you to stay here. Our schools here are just as good if not better. I want you both to know that you are welcome. Even if you go back and things become unbearable, our doors are open.”

“Thanks Stef,” I told him. “It's nice to have options.”

“Well, Robbie is suspended this week and Monday is a holiday, so we have some time to think about things. In the meantime, you will need more clothes than you brought with you. We need to go shopping.” Stef and shopping. I rolled my eyes.

“I'm not going shopping with you. You'll try to make me buy something strapless. I'm taking a nap.” Tonto made this statement and flounced off to her room.

“I need to make a phone call,” I said. “Then I'll get ready.”

“Use the phone in Greg's office,” Stef said.

The phone rang six times before a lady answered. “Stanford University Department of History. Chairman's Office. How may I help you?” I smiled. JP got really annoyed when they let the phone ring more than four times before answering.

“Dr. Crampton please.”

“He's in a meeting. Can I take a message?” She obviously thought that I was one of his students, calling to ask for an extension on a paper with some lame excuse.

“Would you please tell him his son is on the line?” I asked. Which son, he'd wonder.

“JP Crampton.” I heard as he answered. His voice was crisp and professional.

“Hi Dad. I just wanted to let you know that Robbie and I made it down to Malibu safe and sound.” I had decided to use that as an ice breaker.

“Did you get in late?”

“Not too bad. It was close to 1am. But we're up, Tonto's here, and now we're supposed to go shopping.”

“What about school?” he asked, irritated. Education was the first of his priorities.

“Well, Robbie is suspended this week, so we really can't do much until Tuesday. We actually had an idea I wanted to run by you.”

“Are you asking advice or merely informing me?” he asked, even more irritated.

“Yes,” I said, trying to lighten the mood. “It seems now that I'm 18 I have the ability and the wherewithal to buy my own place in Palo Alto. I was thinking that if I did that I might still be able to finish up at Gunn.”

“Even though everyone knows you're both gay?”

“If it's bad, we can come back to Malibu. I don't like running away.”

“Two high school boys living in a house by themselves. I don't think that's such a good idea, and I'm sure that Frank Hayes won't either.” There was the unspoken threat, that even though he didn't control me, he controlled Robbie.

“Tonto has agreed to live with us, to be our chaperone.”

He was quiet for a while. I knew he was thinking. I'd thrown a curve ball at him. “This is Stefan's idea,” he said. “It has some merit. I'd like to think about it.”

“Can you let me know your thoughts by Friday Dad? We need to find a place and get back into school.”

“I can do that. Is there anything else?”

“Yeah. The phone rang six times before it was answered.” I could feel his attempt to hide his grin at my reference to his compulsiveness.

“Wonderful. Another problem to worry about. We'll talk on Friday.”

October 10, 1980

Today was the day. Today was the day that JP would let us know if we were going to be going back with his blessing, or moving on without it. Robbie's birthday was in May, so if JP didn't agree, we'd have a tough time of it. I'd talked to Claire a few days ago and she was really upset. She and Ace were talking, but no one else was. She was eating dinner at Jack's house as an excuse to stay away, and Ace was doing the same thing with Cass.

“Did anyone say anything at school about Robbie and me?” I asked.

“Everyone is talking about it. It is horrible Brad, they chatter but they won't say anything to me. Ace and I just ignore it. Doug, Dan, and Lark all asked how you were doing.”

“Really?” That was encouraging. Maybe I wouldn't be completely friendless.

“Billy and his friends were really giving Mouse crap yesterday, but Ace jumped all over them. So now Mouse sticks pretty close to Ace or Dan. Roger picks him up and drops him off.”

“What about Dad?”

“I've never seen him like this. He just stays in his study and works. I tried to go in and cheer him up, but he basically threw me out.”

Claire and I had that conversation on Wednesday after school. I had no idea what today would bring, or if things had changed or if I was now universally reviled at Gunn.

I swam out farther into the water, maneuvering my board for the next wave. The weather was beautiful, so I'd decided to go surfing. It was either that or sit around and wait for JP to call. Robbie went jogging, so I figured I'd get some surfing in.

The waves yesterday had been OK, but today they were much better. It was as if the ocean knew that I was facing a challenge today, and was determined to keep me focused and keyed up. I passed up a small wave and felt the water run through my fingers. Two of my fathers were here with me. I wondered where the third one would be, if he'd support me.

I looked out and saw a wave forming and knew it would be a big one. The swell grew and grew, matching the smile on my face. This was the one I was waiting for. I got in front of it and got my forward motion going. It continued to grow. I felt it lift me and then I was vertical, running ahead of it as it built strength. I looked up and saw it starting to curl over me and break behind me. A pipeline.

I kicked the board sideways and picked up speed, barreling down the tube, reveling in the awesome power of the wave, the roar as it spent its power behind me, the temptation of the pipeline in front of me. I thought of that scene in “The Empire Strikes Back” where the Millennium Falcon is in the cave on the asteroid and they realize they're really inside a space slug. They shoot out quickly as the mouth in front of them slowly closes. I saw the pipeline start to collapse and I neatly maneuvered ahead and out of it, and caught the residual wave into the shore.

“Bitchin' wave,” said another surfer who washed up with me.

“Bitchin' wave,” I agreed. I turned and smiled at the ocean. One thing is for sure. I could never be landlocked.

I found Robbie watching me. “You finish your run?” I asked him.

“Just in time to watch some amazing moves by a very talented surfer.”

“Come on. Let's sneak upstairs and fuck.” He snaughed and followed me as we went through the back door and up the back stairs, avoiding contact with anyone else.

I got to our room, pulled him in, and locked the door. I inhaled his sweaty body, pushing him back on the bed and rigorously made love to him. Then I forced us to stop, no mean feat, and we took our lovemaking session into the shower to finish up. If Marc had taught me one thing, it was to make sex last as long as possible. We were working at that, getting really good at it. When I came, it was so intense it was almost scary.

“We're going to Paris this summer and I'm gonna find that Marc guy and thank him,” Robbie said with a smile. “Was it this good with him?”

“Not even. It's only this good if you're with the one you love.”

“Bradley, are you there?” I heard the intercom crackle. Stef had just had it put in, so he liked to play with it. I got up and went to the panel to push the button.

“I'm here Stef. I was just getting cleaned up.”

“I heard,” he said, giggling. “Would you come down as soon as you can?”

I threw on some painter's pants, white, which I thought looked ridiculous but Claire assured me were very fashionable. I added to that a light green Izod; the color reminded me of Mouse's eyes. The two of us tore down the stairs. There in the front room, waiting for us, was JP.

“Dad!” I said. I was so euphoric from my wave and my fuck I just went right up to him and hugged him. I felt him recoil, surprised. His defenses were up, his shields at maximum. I forced him to maintain the hug and gradually felt him relax. Normally, when I hug him, I draw strength from him. This time, he drew it from me. It was a great feeling to be able to do something for him.

“You're not just being nice to me so I'll go along with this hare-brained scheme of yours?” I recoiled, insulted, until I realized JP was teasing me. “I can't imagine what kind of idiot came up with such an idea.”

Stefan stood there with his arms crossed, glaring at JP, until he caught the playful note in his voice. “I thought it was a good idea,” he said defensively. “You are just mad that you did not think of it.”

“Nonsense. I have a much better idea.” We looked at him. He was pausing for effect. “I want you two to move home.”

“To Escorial? What about Billy?” I asked.

“Your mother and Billy have moved out,” he said. I saw his lip quiver a bit.

“I'm so sorry Dad. I'm really sorry.” I felt so bad for him. Stef was across the room and had his arm around JP so fast I almost didn't see him move.

“But you have been together for so long. Surely there was some other way?” Stefan was obviously worried about both of them.

JP shook his head sadly. “Ace and Brad are young men now; they do not need the protection of a mother. Claire has been moving away from Isidore as she becomes a young lady, and becomes more involved with Jack. Billy has really developed some problems, and she has latched onto that. Her youngest son needs her love and devotion.”

“Kind of sucks for the rest of us,” I said resentfully. I couldn't hide it.

“You must understand Brad. She loves you, she loves us all, she just has a cause to fight for. I tried to work with her, but the price was too high.”

“What do you mean?”

“I lost you and Robbie, then Roger and Mouse. And Ace and Claire are never home anymore, and even when they are they refuse to have any type of conversation with me, or your mother, or Billy. It may be alright for her, but it isn't for me. So we talked about it last night and she moved to a hotel temporarily. She's building a subdivision of beautiful homes not far from Escorial. She has commandeered one of the display homes as her own.”

“So have Roger and Mouse moved back?” I asked. He shook his head sadly.

“That may be the relationship that I can't repair. It's sad, but I've been on my own before. It makes me stronger, more focused.”

“But not as happy,” I said.

“Would you excuse me?” Stef said, and headed off to manage some aspect of his household.

“So when are you heading home?” I asked.

“As soon as you two promise you're driving back.”

I smiled. “I don't think I can give you an answer until at least tomorrow. Looks like you'll have to stick around and go sailing with us.”

“You could have just asked me,” he said.

“You might have said no,” I told him. “Besides, it will be exciting. Tonto is going and we're going to christen the boat in her name.” JP laughed at that.

“Did I hear my name?” Tonto said, emerging from her afternoon nap. “JP!” she said. She gave him a big hug and a kiss. Then she realized that she wasn't being grumpy as she was supposed to. “Did you miss me so much that you came back here to beg me to come home?”

“Yes Tonto, I did. Seems that I need to find a new lady of the house.”

“Oh JP, I'm so sorry,” Tonto said, digesting the news. “Give her time, she'll come around.”

That night we all went out to dinner at a really classy Beverly Hills Restaurant. It was so classy even Greg had to wait 15 minutes to get a table. There were movie stars there, people who impressed Robbie, but not me. I just enjoyed being with him, Stef, Greg, Tonto and JP.

“What time do we sail tomorrow?” I asked Greg.

“We're due to leave around 10am. I thought we could sail over to Catalina Island. It's a quaint place. Does that work for you?”

“Sounds great! I didn't plan to leave until Sunday anyway.” The Maitre D' came over and whispered in Stefan's ear. He nodded and went to take a phone call.

“He's up to something,” I said.

“He is,” JP agreed.

Greg nodded. “Don't look at me; I couldn't get it out of him. I suggest we just go with the flow.”

Stef came back to the table. “Well, are we ready to go?”

I decided to play with him. “I'm still kind of hungry. Can we get dessert?” Robbie snaughed.

“No. You will get fat. It's time to go.” He was clearly anxious to leave.

“Well, I need to go to the ladies room first,” Tonto said picking up on the game. “And I'd like to have that steak wrapped up.”

Stef was getting irritated, and that just made us try to delay longer. “Greg, isn't that Harrison Ford over there?” Robbie asked. “Will you introduce me?”

Stef finally stamped his foot. “We have to leave now. Come on all of you.” And he headed to the car, expecting us to follow him. We did.

“And why are we in such a hurry?” JP asked.

“It's a surprise. Or it was supposed to be, until you slowpokes ruined it.”

“Relax babe. We all realized you were planning something. You are too cute and expressive to hide things,” Greg told him. Stef leaned back into him and looked up at him lovingly. They really were the cutest couple.

We got home and Stef rushed in first. Whatever he was planning, he was excited about it. I shrugged and headed in behind him with Robbie and Tonto in tow. Greg and JP hung back a bit. The first person I saw when I walked in was Mouse. True to his name, he squealed and gave us all big hugs. And there, in the corner, looking a bit perplexed was Roger.

“Stef invited us up to go sailing tomorrow,” Roger said. I went up and gave him a big hug.

“I think Stef has a surprise in store for you.” I told him, and got out of his line of sight, just as JP walked in. Greg was behind JP as if to stop him from fleeing. JP saw Roger and a faint tentative smile flashed across his face. He was waiting to see if Roger was happy.

“Excuse me,” Roger said, and strode toward them. At first I was worried that he'd just walk right out the door, but he stopped in front of JP.

“I missed you,” JP said.

“Me too,” Roger told him and then picked him up and kissed him. “Where's our room?” he asked. JP pointed to the stairs, and Roger tossed him over his shoulder and carried him off.

“Romantic, in a Neanderthal kind of way,” Tonto said. “I'm going to bed. Have to get ready to brave the seas.”

Greg and Stef headed off too. Stefan's successful surprise had seemingly made him horny. What's new?

“So I'm the odd man out,” sulked Mouse.

“Three people can have fun too, or don't you remember?” I teased. He balked. He was really into Dan. “I'm teasing Mouse. You're welcome to sleep with us if you want to, with or without your clothes on. I'm just happy to see you.”

“So we're all moving back?” he asked.

“I hope so. Looks that way,” Robbie piped.

We went out onto the deck and I lit a joint. I had corrupted Mouse, turned him into a pot smoker. We just sat there for a while, listening to the surf.

“So Mouse, what do you think will happen to us when we go to school on Tuesday?” Robbie asked.

He thought about it. “I don't know. It will be different for you because of who you are.” He meant because we were rich, and popular. “At PA, I had a couple of gay friends. They got spit on, beat up, all kinds of stuff like that. I'm not sure I see that happening.” Robbie was apprehensive, and so was I.

October 11, 1980

We drove up to the boat and the first thing that Greg did was drag us around to the back to look at the stern. There, in big block letters, was “TONTO”, and below it, in smaller letters, “Marina del Rey.” We boarded the yacht and there was already champagne waiting. We toasted Tonto, the lady and the boat. It was so funny to see Tonto shed her cranky demeanor and actually smile and enjoy herself.

“I thought this would be the death of me,” she told Greg, “but this is really fun. I may have to come down and go out with you more often.”

“There is always room for you,” he said. He's such a charmer. JP and Roger were on deck, looking at the port as we left, looks of happiness and contentment on their faces. I was glad to see that. Maybe we could put our lives back together, all of us.

I walked up to Mouse, who was standing off by himself. He had slept with us last night, but had kept his underwear on to indicate that it was platonic.

“I hope you weren't offended last night?” he asked.

“Why would I be offended? Because you didn't want to have sex with me?”

He blushed. “It's not that I didn't want to.” He gathered himself together. “I like Dan, a lot. I don't want to fuck around with someone else and mess that up.”

“Like I almost did,” I said.

“It's good for me to practice control,” he said, ignoring my guilt trip. “I figure if I can sleep with the two hottest guys I know, well, besides Jack, I'm doing well.”

“You are doing well, Mouse. You're doing great. You know that Robbie and I are together, and I love him. When we met you, we figured you might need a little extra, er, attention, so it was no big deal.”

“So I was a mercy fuck?” he asked, offended.

“No, you were really cute, really sweet, and a lot of fun. But we knew it was only temporary, that you'd get back on your feet.” I paused. “Although personally, I was hoping that you'd still be a total slut. You have a sweet ass.”

He looked up at me, shocked, until he realized I was teasing. He gave me a gentle kiss. “If you want to sleep with me, I'll always be willing. I'll never be able to say no to you,” he said. “You saved me. You gave me my life back.”

“Relax Mouse. It's karma. You put up with shit all those years, now it's your turn to enjoy some happiness.” I looked over at JP. “That applies to all of us, I think.” Still, I had the feeling that for me, the real shit would begin on Tuesday.

Copyright © 2011 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 4
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You have to pick your battles but sometimes the cost can be unbelievably high. Sometimes for no reason that anyone can explain; a child can be damaged for no obvious reason and nothing can be done to help them. I have to wonder about Billy, he really has been given a perfect life and except for Sam leaving never seemed to face any real problems; what switch flipped that caused her current level of issues...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So to that most of the family are there to toast Tonto the yacht as well as the matriarch.

Another great chapter, thanks Mark

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Dad sees a family as a group of individuals, and he has obligations to each of those individuals. I see it as a whole group, and I think you have to make decisions based on what's good for everyone in that group.”

I KNEW IT! Brad's a freakin' Commie!

It strikes me how many tragic characters there are in this book.....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..