Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Warnings: Racism, rape, abuse, discrimination, homophobia, violence, cursing, underage drinking and drug usage, Hetro relationships, but there will be NO m/f sex.

Teach Me Bad - 13. Thrus, Fri: Kayden

“I really miss having you as a lab partner,” Jacob said as they exited the science building Thursday afternoon and took the path for Cypress Hall. “Billy’s no help at all. He never does the readings, yet he argues with me over the procedures like he knows better.”

“I know,” Kayden said. “Duncan told me. I just…didn’t know how to face you after I turned you down. I told Dr. Tierney an excuse and got my table changed.”

“I remember,” Jacob grumbled. “I just wish you’d have her change it back.”

“I don’t think anyone wants to but you,” Kayden said with a little smile. “Duncan’s certainly happy with the change.”

“I bet.”

“There’s nothing I can do,” Kayden said guiltily. “I’m sorry.”

“Just like there’s nothing you can do about Trent and the cheating?” Jacob grumbled.

Kayden pressed his lips together, and his asshole clenched around the plug deep in his ass in response. “Jacob…”

Jacob brushed his dark hair out of his green eyes. “I’ve been keeping an eye on his Instagram, but there’s been nothing new since those pictures with the sorority girl on Monday.”

“Y-you don’t have to do that,” Kayden said rapidly. “We talked about it and…Trent isn’t going to do that kind of stuff anymore.”

Jacob laughed. “He’s a dog, Kayden. He’s never going to stop.”

“He said he will,” Kayden whispered. “And I want to believe him.”

Jacob curled his lip. “Why? Because you love him?”

“Yes.” Kayden looked away as his cheeks got hot. “I love him more than anything.”

With a huff, Jacob latched onto Kayden’s arm and yanked him into the paved study nook off the main esplanade.

Kayden gasped and stumbled helplessly after. “Wait… Jacob!”

Jacob pulled Kayden around and pinned him against one of the stone tables. “I don’t know what you see in him, Kayden. Trent is a bad guy.”

“H-he’s not…Jacob…”

“You don’t even know what you’re missing.” Jacob gently tilted Kayden’s head back and looked deeply into his eyes. “I’d treat you so much better, Kayden.” He leaned in slowly and with a faint smile, covered Kayden’s mouth with his own.

Mmph!” Kayden stared into Jacob’s shimmering green eyes as his mouth was plundered against his will. He pressed both hands against Jacob’s chest and pushed with all his might, but Jacob refused to budge. His eyes fell shut as he pushed his tongue into Kayden’s mouth and, in a panic, Kayden bit down on it.

“Ow!” Jacob pulled back and touched his mouth. “You bit me.”

“I-I-I have to go to class,” Kayden stuttered.

Jacob glared at him. “You have to get back to Trent.

Kayden wiped his mouth. “He’s my boyfriend, Jake. That hasn’t changed in the last few minutes.”

Jacob shook his head. “He doesn’t deserve you.”

“Maybe not, but I’m going to him anyway.”

Jacob shoved his hands in his pockets and watched with narrowed eyes as Kayden straightened his hair, then stepped away from the table.

“I have to go.”

“Then go.”

Kayden looked fearfully up at the other boy, then darted around him and back for the path. He ran all the way to Cypress Hall and burst through the doors.

The moment he entered the room, he spotted Trent and Audrey in the back by the windows. He hurried in their direction.

“So it’s not a date. I’m just going out with some of the girls from the French club,” Audrey was saying when Kayden stopped before them.

“Then why did Mitch say he was following you?”

“Because he thinks I’m lying,” Audrey grumbled. “He said he’s going to keep an eye on me.”

“That’s stupid,” Trent scowled. “But if you have nothing to hide, then I wouldn’t worry about it. Just go out with your friends and forget about him.”

“I’m afraid I’m going to be enjoying my latte and I’ll suddenly look up and there’ll he’ll be.”

“You’ve got my number, right?” Trent asked. “Call me if you’ve got a problem with him. I insist.”

Audrey nodded her head. “Alright. But don’t be surprised if I do call you.”

“I won’t.” Trent leaned back against the wall as he turned his gaze on Kayden. “Hey. You’re earlier than usual. We’re discussing the weekend.”

Kayden nervously chewed his lip. Audrey had enjoyed herself at the French club yesterday afternoon. She’d made a couple girlfriends, gotten some numbers, and was planning to hang out with them Saturday night. He was happy for her, but…he just wanted Trent.

“Ian just texted me the plans for a fake double-date, so we’re going to ask our dad’s tonight,” Audrey said smartly. “Hopefully we’ll know if it’s a go by tomorrow.”

“Sounds good,” Trent said. “Then I can have Kayden to myself.”

“But…” Kayden whispered. “What about your mom?” Trent had messaged him this morning the good news about Diana. Kayden was glad she was alright, but he wondered how her coming would affect their plans.

Trent’s eyes darkened. “She’s going to be staying in the pool house, so my activities won’t be any of her business.”

Kayden look pointedly at Audrey. “Do you think we could…go to the bathroom?”

Audrey huffed and stood, hitching her bag over her shoulder. “I get the hint, Kayden. You guys need a minute.”

Trent chuckled delightedly. “Save us a seat, will you?”

“Yeah alright.”

Trent stood as Audrey strode away. He towered over Kayden’s tiny figure and Kayden looked up into his hazel eyes with a deep sense of longing. “Well, let’s go.” Trent nodded behind them at the bathroom, and Kayden tripped around him for the door.

Inside, the tiled room was empty, and Kayden went to their usual stall in the back.

“You need my cock that bad your willing to skip class?” Trent murmured as he followed him inside and shut the door. “This is a first.”

Kayden turned at once and wrapped his arms around Trent. “H-hold me.”

“What’s going on?” Trent chuckled, his hands falling to Kayden’s hips. “Why so needy?”

Kayden took a deep breath then looked up into Trent’s hazel eyes. “Jacob kissed me just now.”

“What!” Trent tried to pull away, but Kayden held onto him with everything he had.

“Please…just…” he started, whining. “I-I’m sorry! I didn’t mean for it to happen!”

“Why the fuck did he kiss you?!

“He doesn’t understand why I’m with you when you’re always sleeping around,” Kayden whispered, and Trent made a nasty face. “I said I loved you anyway and he got jealous, so he kissed me to show me what I was missing.”

“And how’d that work out for him?” Trent growled.

“I-I bit him.”

“You bit him?” Trent snorted with amusement, then roughly tilted Kayden’s chin up with a finger and studied his mouth. “That fucker got a taste. He deserved more than a bite.”

Kayden’s eyes widened.

Trent took Kayden’s face between both his hands. “I’m going to kill him.”

“Noooo.”

“I already told you, nobody touches what’s mine.” Trent’s eyes flashed, then he leaned in and kissed Kayden aggressively. He held his face still and pushed his tongue into his mouth.

Kayden’s head spun as Trent dominated him with ease. His eyes fluttered shut and he moaned helplessly into Trent’s mouth. The kiss went on and on and Kayden felt Trent’s erection against his belly. He pressed against the older boy with an unspoken need, his own penis getting hard between his legs.

Then Trent pulled away and shoved Kayden to the floor. “Get on your knees.”

Kayden fell to his knees, blinking up in confusion.

“The next time I see Jacob, I’m going to teach him a goddamn lesson.”

“Trent please…” Kayden begged. “Please don’t hurt Jacob. I won’t go around him anymore. I promise. I-I just…it’s not fair that I have to defend you all the time!”

Trent unzipped his fly with a deep frown on his face. “Open your mouth.”

Kayden slowly parted his lips and Trent rested his cockhead on his tongue. He looked up nervously at the older boy and met his eyes.

“I’m going to clean your mouth out,” Trent drawled. “Ready?”

Kayden nodded his head and slowly closed his lips around Trent’s shaft.

Trent wasted no time. He pushed his cock deep into Kayden’s mouth and started to pump his hips. He kept both hands on Kayden’s head as he fucked him, and his fingers slid through his hair to hold him firmly in place. “Fucking shit…I told you to stay away from that motherfucker…”

Kayden swallowed reflexively around Trent’s thrusting member. There was little else he could do. Trent had him trapped between his hands and had total control over his mouth. The spongy head slammed into the back of Kayden’s throat and he groaned with excitement as he was abused. His asshole clenched deliciously around the plug inside of him and he gazed adoringly up at Trent. He was so, so hard in his jeans, but his erection was totally ignored.

“Fucking kissing…” Trent muttered as he shoved his cock unceremoniously into Kayden’s throat over and over. “I’m going to beat the shit out of Jacob for even thinking he could touch you.”

Mmm!

“Shut up…” Trent growled, and his cock lurched dramatically on Kayden’s tongue. “He knew better than to kiss you, he deserves it.” Trent drove his hips rapidly into Kayden’s mouth, so the base of his cock smacked repeatedly into his plush lips. “I’ll crush his goddamn balls.”

Mmmm!” Kayden wailed in protest, but he went totally unnoticed as Trent gripped his face and began to shoot.

“Ahhh, shit!” Trent grunted, spraying the back of Kayden’s throat with thick ejaculate. “How’s that taste, little bitch?”

Kayden’s eyes watered as he drank Trent down. He tasted extra salty today and his tongue burned as he swallowed over and over.

When Trent finished emptying his balls, he let go of Kayden’s head and fell back against the stall. His spent cock rested against his clothed thigh, and Kayden looked longingly at the thick member, glistening in the light. He wanted to have sex. But Trent lazily tucked himself away and straightened with a sigh. “Guess we’d better get to class. I checked the syllabus. We’ve got a test Monday after next.”

Kayden cleared his throat and awkwardly adjusted himself. “I know.”

Trent smirked at him. “I know your hard, Baby-Kay, but I actually don’t care right now. You deserve to be left wanting. You were bad today.”

Kayden looked up at him with moony eyes. His whole body was tingling with need, and the plug inside of him rested temptingly against his prostate. “Trent—”

“Just stand up. I’m not letting you come today,” Trent said in a deep voice and Kayden stood with a groan.

“You’re so mean.”

“I know,” Trent smiled, then opened the door and gestured for Kayden to follow him out. “Your little boyfriend’s going to think I’m real mean too. Next time I see him.”

“You aren’t seriously going to beat him up, are you?” Kayden whimpered.

“Damn right I will,” Trent grunted, then, “Come on. Let’s get to class.”

Kayden shuffled after him with his head down. He shouldn’t have said anything. He’d thought maybe he could use reverse psychology on Trent, but it had totally backfired.

They went into the lecture hall and found Audrey upstairs, clacking away at her laptop. “Hey,” she said without looking up. “Did you two enjoy yourselves?”

“I certainly did,” Trent muttered, taking the seat one over from Audrey so Kayden could sit between them. “But Kayden’s being a little slut again. He didn’t have as good a time.”

Audrey stopped typing. “A slut?

“Does she know about Jacob?” Trent asked as Kayden sat gingerly between him and his bestie.

Audrey snorted immediately. “That gorgeous football player?”

Trent scowled at her. “I guess you’ve met him before.”

“I had to protect Kayden from Jake maybe two weeks ago,” Audrey laughed. “He asked him out right before you and Kayden started…doing whatever you’re doing,” she said vaguely. “And Kayden didn’t know how to turn him down.”

“We’re going to have to talk soon,” Trent growled. “I need to set him straight.”

Kayden shivered. “Trent…”

“What?!” Trent glared heatedly at him. “He kissed you! He obviously doesn’t understand the boundaries.”

“Oh, he kissed you?” Audrey covered her mouth and giggled. “When? Just now?”

“We started talking again…” Kayden ducked his head. “Aya, Duncan said it would be a bad idea.”

“Who’s Duncan?” Trent growled. “Another boyfriend?”

“My new lab partner,” Kayden muttered. “After I got switched from Jacob.”

“Jesus Christ.” Trent slowly shook his head. “I guess I’m going to have to start walking you to psych, so that fucker doesn’t have another opportunity to get at you.”

“Trent…I’ll be alright.”

Trent gave Audrey a look. “I’m going to beat Jacob to a pulp.”

“Trent!” Kayden cried, but Trent ignored him.

“I’m so unattracted to that whole macho act.” Audrey turned back to her computer, unimpressed. “Kayden doesn’t need protecting like that. Fists should never be involved.”

“That’s because you’re not a guy. You aren’t controlled by testosterone.”

“Obviously not,” Audrey grumbled.

Trent looked away and crossed his ankle over his knee. “This is so fucking boring. I haven’t learned a single thing yet coming to lecture.”

“You know there’s a test coming up, don’t you?” Audrey drawled, and Trent made a face at her.

“It’s not a problem,” Kayden said determinedly, getting out his laptop. “We’re studying. Tonight.”

Trent sighed deeply. “I guess we’d better.”

“I’ll send you all my notes, too,” Audrey said, typing rapidly in her word processor. “Maybe that’ll help.”

“Thanks Audrey,” Kayden said softly. “We need all the help we can get.”

Trent tossed his arm around Kayden’s shoulders with a smile. “It’s a good thing you’re saving my grades. I couldn’t possibly stand to be around you nerds if you weren’t.”

Kayden looked up pitifully as his computer started. “R-really?”

Trent rolled his eyes and kissed Kayden on the tip of his nose. “Shut up and take your notes.”

Kayden blushed and turned back to his computer as the home screen appeared. He pulled up his class notes and quickly got to work. Trent kept his arm around him the whole time, stroking his fingers through the nape of his hair.

They didn’t mention Jacob again.

***

“The next chapter is sensation verses perception,” Kayden said, and Trent groaned under his breath and fell back on his bed.

“How many more chapters are we going to do?”

“This is the last one for tonight and it’s the easiest yet,” Kayden said decisively. “What does it mean to sense something? Can you tell me that?”

Trent pulled a nasty face. They’d been studying for the last two hours over video chat. Kayden had combined his and Audrey’s notes during lunch when Trent had gone to Sports in History, and he’d emailed them to the sullen boy before they got home. “You sense stuff by feeling and smelling, right?” Trent asked.

“That’s right,” Kayden said enthusiastically. “Our sensory receptors pick up stimuli in our environment, so we can smell flowers, hear the ocean, see beautiful sunsets, feel the…touch of another person.”

Trent smiled lecherously. “You can taste another person, too.”

“Yes…”

“Your mouth tastes like sweet honey,” Trent said slowly. “I love kissing you.”

“T-Trent, we’re going off subject again.”

Trent huffed and crossed his arms. “This is boring.”

“I know. But we’re almost finished,” Kayden said.

“If there was homework to complete, it would make sense wasting time like this,” Trent muttered. “But we’re just going over like…everything. What are we supposed to focus on?”

“The notes,” Kayden said, gesturing to Trent’s laptop laying forgotten on the bed. “There’s way more material in the book, but the professor streamlines everything into the downloadable PDF’s online. If you pay attention in class, all you have to do is fill in the blanks.”

“Good thing you know what we’re supposed to do,” Trent muttered disagreeably. “I hate taking notes.”

“Getting back to psych,” Kayden sighed. “What does it mean to you to perceive something?”

Trent gave him a bored look. “I don’t know, Kayden.”

“Well,” Kayden said. “When we get all these stimuli and sense our surroundings, our brains perceive the information so we can understand it.”

“Interesting,” Trent drawled.

“It’s like…” Kayden licked his lips. “When Jacob showed me that picture of you and Maggie kissing on Instagram—”

“Oh, god, not this again,” Trent scowled. “I’m not sleeping with her, alright!”

Kayden frowned. “I’m trying to make a point.”

Trent growled under his breath. “Go on.”

“When I saw those pictures, the sensation caused a psychological perception in my brain.”

“A bad one I’m sure,” Trent muttered.

“Yes,” Kayden said slowly. “I thought you were cheating on me and it really hurt my feelings.”

Trent rolled his eyes skyward and sighed. “But I’m not cheating on you.”

Kayden hesitated. “Trent…are you coming to my sister’s Korean practice tomorrow?”

Trent barked a laugh. “What?”

“Emma’s been asking about you all week. I think we were both hoping you’d show up again at the McDonalds.”

“If you want me to come, I will,” Trent said lazily. “It was fun learning your language. Can’t say I remember much of it, though.”

Kayden chewed his bottom lip. “I—I just figured you wouldn’t have the time. Since you’re going to that party with Maggie.

“I’m not going until late,” Trent said off-handedly. “You’ll probably be in bed by the time I drop by the sorority house.”

“Do you really have to go?” Kayden whined.

“I have to make an appearance.”

“But how are you going to call me if your at a party?”

“I’ll call you when I get home if you want.”

Kayden scrambled for another excuse. “But—”

“Just let it go, Kayden,” Trent growled. “I’m going to the party. You’re not going to change my mind.”

Kayden turned back to his computer as tears prickled at the corners of his eyes. “Although our perceptions are based on sensation, not all sensations result in perception,” he read from the notes. “The example they gave here is a clock ticking in a classroom—”

“Kayden,” Trent said, and Kayden covered his face with both hands.

“What Trent?” Hot wetness ran down his cheeks. “We need to finish this chapter before my mom comes home. We’re almost done.”

“Kayden. Just because I’m going to a party doesn’t mean I’m going to sleep with anybody.”

Kayden sniffled. “Yeah. Okay.”

“You’ll just have to trust me,” Trent said in a serious voice. “I’m doing this for us.”

Kayden dropped his hands and glared at the other boy. “How?”

“Maggie’s doing us a favor, actually. Ivy’s going to be furious when she comes back tomorrow and hears we’re kicking it.”

Kayden thought back to the redhead he’d seen weeks ago in the main quad. She had been so desperate to get at Trent. She’d cried and screamed for him. She’d been a total terror.

“And Ivy’s going to go after Maggie, not you,” Trent said. “She won’t even know you exist. We can keep our sordid relationship on the down-low, just like we were, and she can’t bother us.”

Kayden saw some logic in that. “I-I guess.”

Trent smiled beatifically. “Just admit it. I’m right.”

Kayden refused. “Let’s get back to perception,” he said dryly. “As I was saying, when you go into a classroom with a ticking clock, you may sense the sound of the ticking, but you’re busy taking notes and asking questions, so you never perceive the sound. It never enters your mind.”

“Me?” Trent laughed. “Asking questions in class?”

“It’s just an example, Trent,” Kayden sighed.

“Relax. I’m just fucking with you,” Trent laughed.

Kayden rolled his eyes and went on with the chapter.

***

When Kayden entered his chemistry lecture Friday afternoon, he quickly scanned the room for a crowded place to sit. There was a seat on the end two rows back next to a pair of boys, and he rushed up the steps and claimed it for himself.

The chocolate skinned boy beside him gave him a curious look, and Kayden avoided his eyes. He was embarrassed. He rarely sat next to strangers, but he didn’t want to sit next to Jacob after that kiss, and he determinedly took his things out of his bag as the two boys beside him resumed their conversation. He got out his laptop and was booting it up when Jacob strolled into the room.

Immediately, his green eyes fell on Kayden, and Kayden ducked his head and rummaged sightlessly through his bag as he realized there was no way to sit beside him. Slowly, Jacob started for the stairs, and Kayden squirmed desperately in his seat as he approached. He felt terrible. Jacob wasn’t a bad guy, but he kept making things so awkward…

Then Jacob brushed past Kayden and swept for the back row. The awkward moment was over, and Kayden dropped his bag and let out a sigh of relief. He waited a few unbearable moments, listening to his blood pounding in his ears, then risked a glance over his shoulder.

Jacob was settled alone in the back row, watching him with his vibrant green eyes. He pushed his dark hair out of his face and smiled, and Kayden whirled away with his heart in his throat.

Class started soon after, but he had a hard time paying attention. He swore he could feel Jacob’s eyes on him throughout the lecture and it made him deeply uncomfortable. He kept his head forward and his eyes focused on the projector.

When class ended, Jacob was the first person out the door. He flew down the aisle, past other students packing up their things and talking to neighbors and raced out the door without another look in Kayden’s direction.

Kayden blinked after Jacob, surprised, but relieved he wouldn’t have to confront him—

“Excuse me,” the dark-skinned boy said, and Kayden looked up suddenly and realized he and his buddy were trying to exit the aisle.

“Sorry!” Kayden scrambled to move his bag out of the way and the boys squeezed past him for the stairs. He hurriedly packed up his things as the room broke down around him and stood to pull his bag over his shoulder. He had to meet Audrey for Writing, then they’d meet Ian for lunch, but after that… Kayden smiled faintly as he breezed out of the room. He and Trent had had phone sex again the night before, but he was looking forward to the real thing. Mark had given him and Ian permission to go out Saturday night, and he and Trent were planning to meet up on campus like they had last week.

Trent had promised to come to Korean practice tonight, too, and Kayden was excited to spend extra time with him. He still wasn’t happy about the date with Maggie, but Trent had promised to call him when he left the party. The weekend was looking bright, and Kayden’s mood lifted as he exited the building and started for the English department.

***

“I can’t believe we were ever friends with Mateo,” Audrey said as they headed for the Treehouse after Writing. “He’s so…cold now. He’s like a totally different person.”

“I saw him working at Trent’s house last week,” Kayden said as they started across the main quad. A group of sorority girls in pink shirts crossed in front of them, and Kayden glared as they passed. “He’s a hard worker, Audrey. He’s just concerned about keeping his job.”

“That doesn’t mean he can’t talk to me!” Audrey complained. “He’s being a total asshole.”

Kayden scratched his fingers through his hair. “Yeah. I guess.”

“Screw him. It doesn’t matter anyway,” Audrey grumbled. “I’m so glad I joined the French club. I get to go out with some really cool girls this weekend. It’s going to be great.”’

Kayden nodded in agreement. “I think so too. You deserve some time off.”

“Wait…please…Why won’t you talk to me?!” A loud female voice screamed, and Kayden and Audrey slowed to a stop and looked after the sorority girls. A slender, redheaded girl stood in the middle of the quad in an oversized Stanford hoodie and a tiny pair of shorts. Her feet were planted about a foot apart, her hands balled at her sides, and her hair wild around her face. “We were sisters just two weeks ago and now you can’t even speak to me?!”

“Isn’t that Trent’s ex?” Audrey asked.

“Oh god, she’s back,” Kayden whispered.

“Ivy, we’re not allowed to talk to you,” said a tiny black girl with her hair in braids. “Maggie forbids it.”

“Fuck Maggie!” Ivy wailed. “She stole my boyfriend! And nearly got me kicked out of Stanford, as well!”

Most of the girls avoided Ivy’s eyes, but a blonde girl with freckles looked pityingly at her. “Ivy…you’ve got to stop this. You’re acting crazy—”

“I’m not crazy!” Ivy shrieked, and the tiny black girl grabbed the blonde’s shoulder and gestured to her friends to start walking again. “Nooo! Don’t go! I need you guys!”

“We’re not allowed to talk to you, Ivy,” called the black girl. “It’s against house rules.”

“Stupid bitches! Maggie doesn’t control you!” Ivy roared, but the girls kept walking. “Come back! Please don’t leave me!”

“Wow. Trouble in the sorority house,” Audrey murmured as Ivy stood alone in the quad, sobbing hysterically. She took Kayden’s arm and pulled him away. “She doesn’t know you’re sleeping with Trent, does she?”

“No. Nobody knows but you and Ian,” Kayden said nervously. “And Trent’s friends, too, I suppose.”

“Let’s hope it stays that way,” Audrey said dryly. “I wouldn’t want that crazy girl chasing after me.”

“Yeah,” Kayden said under his breath, thinking about Maggie and her ingenious plan to fake-date Trent. It was the same plan he and Audrey had come up with to fool their parents, and grudgingly, he admitted to himself that maybe it hadn’t been such a bad idea after all.

“Let’s hurry,” Audrey said. “I want to ask Ian if we can get the curfew pushed to midnight. Maybe he’s got an idea.”

Kayden let himself be dragged to lunch.

***

An hour later, Kayden entered the Algebra classroom and quickly found his seat at the end of the first row.

Lunch had been a tedious affair. He’d listened to his brother and his bestie chat about their plans for the weekend in a daze. He tried not to, but he couldn’t stop thinking about the redhead he’d seen in the main courtyard. Ivy.

Kayden didn’t like the idea of the crazy girl chasing after his boyfriend. He was jealous and he didn’t like how it felt. He wanted to trust Trent to be faithful, but he wasn’t sure he could.

He waited impatiently for Trent to make an appearance as the classroom filled up around him. Lacie, the blonde girl he’d used to sit with, met his eyes when she came through the door, but quickly looked away and found a seat in the back.

Kayden had been meaning to talk to the girl for a while now, and he thought about it distantly as Ethan breezed into the room and swept to his desk. He didn’t understand why Lacie was avoiding him; they’d had such a nice comradery over their studies.

“I’m about to collect homework, people,” Ethan said as he unpacked his bag. “Please get it out.”

Kayden anxiously watched the door as he got out his homework. Trent was late, but it didn’t make sense. Trent never missed Algebra.

Ethan set his lesson plan aside, then rounded his desk. He came to a stop in front of Kayden’s table, and looked pointedly at the empty chair beside him, his lip curling with derision. “Is your special friend coming to class today?”

“I-I don’t know,” Kayden stuttered. “He’s supposed to.”

Ethan solemnly took his homework. “There’s been a significant improvement in his grades in the past couple weeks, but to be honest, I was wondering when the good streak would peter out.”

Kayden looked up at the teacher with his big, soulful eyes. “H-he’ll be here. I’m sure of it.”

“Well, let’s hope he makes it in the next five minutes, or I’ll have to mark him as absent.”

Kayden pressed his lips together as Ethan strode away. He glanced at the clock over the whiteboard. Trent had four more minutes…

Ethan finished collecting the assignments, then returned to the front of the room and set them aside in a neat stack. “We’re finishing up chapter seventeen today. I hope everyone’s aware of the test this coming Wednesday…” he trailed off as Trent stormed through the door and Kayden’s heart did a backflip in excitement. “Nice of you to join us, Trent,” Ethan drawled. “Just in time.”

“Sorry.” Trent barely looked at the instructor as he stalked to his chair and yanked it out from under the table. “I got held up.”

Kayden’s excitement faded away as he noticed the pinched look on Trent’s handsome face. He watched in concern as the older boy fell into his seat with a glower.

“Did you manage to complete the homework?” Ethan asked dryly.

“Yep.” Trent grabbed his bag and ripped it open. He pulled a creased sheet of notebook paper from his math book and thrust it toward the instructor. “Here.”

“Thank you,” Ethan said stiffly, taking the assignment from Trent with narrowed eyes.

Trent leaned back in his seat with a sigh. His expression was sour, and he didn’t meet Kayden’s eyes once as Ethan returned to the front of the room and began lecture.

Kayden was so curious what had happened, but he was afraid to ask. He got out his notebook and pretended to take notes as Ethan droned away at the whiteboard. He snuck cautious peeks at Trent throughout. He couldn’t help himself.

Several moments passed before Trent caught Kayden looking. “I ran into Ivy, if you’re wondering,” he muttered under his breath, frowning, and Kayden’s eyes got huge.

“You did?

“She was waiting for me outside Conflict Management. She was begging me to talk to her.”

“Maybe you should have,” Kayden whispered. “You could have told her you weren’t interested.”

“She’s a stalker,” Trent hissed. “That isn’t going to do any good.”

“Trent,” Ethan snapped from the whiteboard, and Trent zipped his lips. “Keep your conversation until after class, please. We’re in the middle of lecture.”

“Sure thing,” Trent said tightly. “Sorry.”

Ethan frowned, but turned back to board to resume the lesson.

“I saw her too,” Kayden whispered, and Trent looked down at him from the corner of his eye. “She was arguing with the sorority girls in the main quad.”

“She doesn’t have any friends now,” Trent said through his teeth. “I don’t know why she came back.”

“She came back for you,” Kayden grumbled.

“She’s wearing my hoodie, too,” Trent muttered. “Dumb bitch swiped it out of my truck.”

Kayden stiffened with anger. “That’s not right.”

“Fat chance I’ll ever see it again.” Trent leaned back in his seat with a huff. “What a cunt.”

Kayden thought about Ivy and the unfairness of the situation for the rest of class. He didn’t have to pay attention to the lecture. He’d already gone over the chapter, twice, in preparation to teach Trent. He knew the material by heart.

“Alright, class, please complete the assignment at the end of the chapter over the weekend,” Ethan said as he finished at the board a bit earlier than usual and the classroom began to break down. “We’ll be doing a review session on Monday, so come prepared.”

Kayden sighed in relief and started to put his things away. “We’ll find time to do our own review session next week,” he said, zipping up his bag. “I’m going to make you a practice quiz this weekend.”

“Then we might as well skip the next class,” Trent grumbled. “You do better reviews than he does.” He gestured to Ethan, wiping the board down at the front of the room.

“B-but what about the homework?”

“Doesn’t he accept late work?”

“Yeah, but…”

“Come on.” Trent shouldered his bag and stood in a single motion. “I want to get off campus before I run into Ivy again.”

Kayden stood and followed him out the door. They took the crowded hall for the main doors together, standing close to one another but not quite touching. Kayden wished Trent would take his hand…

“Maybe we should split up. I don’t want Ivy catching sight of you,” Trent said as they slipped outside. “She’ll make our lives hell if she finds out we’re sleeping together.”

Kayden pouted. “B-but aren’t we going to your truck?”

“Not today,” Trent said darkly. “I just want to get home.”

“Are you still coming to my sister’s Korean lessons?”

“I said I would,” Trent grumbled. “I’ll walk you to the main quad, then we’ll split.”

Kayden followed Trent down the covered pathway. He was anxious and he kept his eyes peeled for the redhead. At the end of the pathway, the main courtyard sprawled before them. A cluster of students on bikes coasted across the sun-warmed bricks and as they dispersed, Kayden caught sight of Audrey and Ian sitting together below one of the palm trees.

“Looks like your friends are waiting.” Trent gestured to the pair under the tree. “You’d better join ‘em.”

Kayden looked up at Trent as they stopped under the arcade. His eyes glittered in the light. He looked so very beautiful with the shadows playing across his face. “I love you,” Kayden whispered.

“Yeah, me too,” Trent grunted. “I’ll see you at the McDonalds at five.”

“Okay…” Kayden looked up at him hopefully, wanting a kiss.

Trent smirked down at him. “What’s that look for?”

“Nothing.” Kayden fluttered his eyelashes.

Trent snorted, then leaned in and caught Kayden’s chin with a single hand. “Come here.”

Kayden stretched up on his tip-toes for a kiss and they met in the middle. Trent pushed his tongue into his mouth immediately, and they attacked each other’s lips with ferocity. Kayden’s penis perked up with interest and he groaned into the other boy’s mouth as his head spun with desire.

Trent pulled back with a sigh. “That’s enough, Kayden.”

“I want you…” Kayden whined. “Please…”

“I have to go,” Trent said. “I’ll see you tonight, Kayden. I promise.”

Kayden’s heart ached as Trent dropped his hand and the connection between them ended. He wished Trent would stay…he wished nothing would come between them and that they could always be together…

“See you later, baby,” Trent said, then turned away.

Kayden watched him go with a pout on his little face. He just wished things could be different.

***

Kayden went home with Ian and Audrey, then waited an hour for Cho to pick him up.

“Mom, my friend’s going to meet us for Korean lessons again,” Kayden said as they drove across town.

“Yay!” Emma bounced excitedly in her seat. “He’s so sexy.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Kayden,” Cho said, frowning. “You’re supposed to be teaching Emma, not your friend.”

“But…I already told Trent he could come.”

Cho sighed deeply. “Then I guess it will be alright for today.”

Kayden and his sister shared a smile.

“We’ve only got three weeks until the grandparents arrive,” Cho said. “Everyone needs to be on their best behavior.”

The smile vanished from Kayden’s face, but Emma rolled her eyes. “Yes, mother,” she said in perfect Korean. “I’ve been practicing on my own in my spare time. It’ll be fine.”

“I hope so,” Cho said as they reached the McDonald’s and parked in the front. She shut off the car and dropped her book in her purse. “Let’s go, kids.”

Kayden and Emma got out of the back and followed their mother inside.

“Did Trent sign that permission slip yet?” Emma asked in a hushed voice.

“Not yet,” Kayden murmured. “But I gave it to him. He said he’d take a look.”

“It’d be nice to get it back.” Emma huffed. “The next time my teacher’s in a good mood, I’ll give it to her.”

“I’ll remind him when he gets here.”

The inside of the McDonalds was busy with patrons. There were several filled tables by the doors, and a family with children standing at the counter. Cho led the way to the back section of the restaurant where it was quieter. “Do you want drinks?” she asked as Kayden and Emma found a seat. “I’m going up for a coffee.’

“I want a Coke,” Emma said, squirming with exuberance. They rarely got to drink pop.

“Sweet tea for me,” Kayden said simply.

Cho stepped away from the table and disappeared around the divider.

“Let’s get started,” Kayden said in Korean. “I wanted to work on your pronunciation some more.”

“What time is Trent showing up?” Emma asked in English, peeking over the divider at the doors. “I don’t want to start until he’s here.”

“It’s already five after,” Kayden pointed out.

“Send him a text,” Emma pressed. “See where he is.”

Kayden sighed and got out his phone. “I really don’t think this is necessary. He said he’d be here,” but he typed up a message anyway. Hey. We just got to the McDonalds. Where are you?

Emma drummed her fingers on the table. “I hope he shows up soon. This is so boring.”

“We could try to practice while we wait,” Kayden suggested. “How was school today?”

Emma gave him a death glare. “Boring. I’ve been waiting to talk to your hot boyfriend all day.”

Kayden blushed. “He’ll be here soon enough,” he said in English. “He promised.” Just then, his phone buzzed with a reply and he checked the screen.

I’m running late. I took a nap after class and just got out of the shower.

“He just got out of the shower,” Kayden smiled a little.

“Yummy,” Emma crooned. “What does he look like naked?”

Kayden’s face got extremely red. “I-I-I can’t tell you that?!”

“Why not?” Emma pouted. “Me and the other girls at school talk about boys all the time.”

Kayden shook his head as he sent Trent another message. Okay. We’re waiting for you.

I’m about to leave. See you soon, babe.

Kayden smiled as he set his phone aside. “He said he’ll see us soon.”

“What’s it like dating him?” Emma asked curiously. “He really doesn’t come off as a gay guy.”

“He’s not,” Kayden said slowly, checking their mother was still occupied at the counter. She waited behind the family, who was in the middle of some sort of heated complaint with management. “He was dating a girl recently, and she’s crazy about him. She doesn’t want to accept the relationship’s over.”

“Is it over?” Emma asked dryly and Kayden hesitated.

“Apparently there’s tons of pictures of him kissing different girls on Instagram.”

“Oh my god, do you know what his username is?” Emma gushed. “We should find his profile.”

Kayden pulled up the apps on his phone. “Instagram’s already installed.”

“Let me see.” Emma gestured for the phone and Kayden nervously handed it over. “I’m going to do a search for Trent Hudson.”

“Hurry,” Kayden whispered. “I don’t want Mom to see my phone.”

“Relax,” Emma said, poking her tongue out as she typed madly at the screen. She paused, then scrolled a few times. “Here he is.”

“Let me see.” Kayden leaned over the table to look.

“There’s over 800 pictures,” Emma murmured as she set the phone down and turned it on its side, so they could both see. “He’s so dreamy, Kayden.”

Kayden glanced through the pictures of Trent driving in his truck, Trent flexing his muscles without a t-shirt, Trent lounging by the poolside in sunglasses, then he came upon the picture from Monday night, of Trent and Maggie kissing on Seth’s couch, and he zoomed in to show his sister. “This was just the other day.”

“Woah.” Emma’s eyes widened. “That looks like some passionate kissing.”

“Yeah.”

“Why aren’t you two studying right now?” Kayden and Emma looked up to find their mother standing over them with a tray. She frowned down at Kayden’s phone. “And what is that?”

“Nothing.” Kayden grabbed his phone off the table and quickly shut it off.

Cho’s eyebrows rose to her hairline and she set the tray on the table. “Where did you get that phone?”

“Uhhh…”

“Did that boy give it to you?” Cho asked, her eyes narrowing into slits. “What’s his name again?”

“Trent,” Kayden said guiltily.

“He gave it to you, didn’t he?”

Kayden nodded.

“Kayden…what is going on with you? You’ve been so distant lately. And secretive.”

“N-nothing’s going on,” Kayden whined. “I dropped my phone in the pool again. I was afraid to tell dad.”

“He’s right mom,” Emma spoke up. “His phone’s been dead for weeks.”

“I don’t like the look of this Trent,” Cho said sharply, picking up her coffee. “Something about him gives me the impression he’s up to no good.”

Kayden trampled down a smile. “He’s a really nice guy, mom. Once you get to know him.”

“I’m sure,” Cho said, then stepped away to her own table. She sat primly and took out her book.

“So, how are you dating if he’s kissing other girls?” Emma asked in whispered Korean.

“He says he’s only doing it so the first girl will stop following him around,” Kayden replied with a sigh. “He’s supposed to go to a party at the sorority house tonight for the same reason.”

“How’s that going to make her stop?”

“I don’t know anymore,” Kayden said miserably. “I don’t want him to go.”

“Did you tell him that?”

“He doesn’t care what I want,” Kayden said. “He says he knows what he’s doing.”

Emma rolled her eyes. “Men.”

“Hey.”

Kayden looked up and saw Trent leaning over the divider. “H-hey.” He smiled nervously. He could feel his mother’s gaze burning into the back of his head.

“How’s the Korean going?”

“G-good,” Kayden stuttered.

“Come sit.” Emma patted the spot beside her. “We were just getting started.”

Trent came around the divider and sat next to Emma. “I’ve got something for you.”

Emma beamed with excitement. “I think I know what it is.”

Trent pulled a neatly folded piece of paper from his back pocket. “Signed and dated for Monday. Hope your ready to turn it in.”

“I’m ready.” Emma took the paper and peeked inside. “Wow, that looks just like dad’s.”

Kayden wanted to see, too, but figured he’d check it out later when their mother wasn’t just a few feet away. “I told you he’d do it.”

“Were you doubting me?” Trent smirked. “I’m a man of my word.”

“Alright then.” Emma put the paper away with a mischievous gleam in her eye. “If you’re a man of your word, then can you promise your being faithful to my big brother?”

Trent gave her a weird look. “What?”

“I just saw your Instagram,” Emma said. “Looks like you get around.”

“Oh, for fucks sake,” Trent muttered. “I’m not promising anything to a ten-year-old.

Emma got a pouty look on her face, but she said no more as Cho set her coffee aside and got up from her table.

“Trent?” Cho greeted in a stern voice.

“Hi, Mrs. Lee,” Trent said to the woman, smiling easily. “How’s the coffee?”

“It’s fine,” Cho said. “But I’m concerned about the lack of studying that’s going on, and I think it’s because you’re here.”

“Oh.” Trent blinked at her. “I didn’t mean to interrupt. Kayden invited me.”

“I know,” Cho said, frowning. “And I’m kindly uninviting you from any future sessions. I really think your presence is too much of a distraction.”

“Mom…” Kayden started.

“Kayden, don’t,” Cho snapped. “I don’t know what’s going on here, but I asked you to tutor your sister and all I’m hearing is a bunch of gossip.”

The table fell into an awkward silence.

“You’re seeing my son?” Cho asked pointedly. “Right?”

Kayden gulped. He and Emma hadn’t been as quiet as he thought they’d been.

“I guess I am, aren’t I?” Trent laughed uncomfortably. “Are you pissed?”

Cho’s eyes flashed.

“Mom?” Kayden looked up at his mother with wide eyes. “You aren’t going to tell dad are you?”

“No.” Cho pursed her lips. “But that doesn’t mean I’m happy about what’s happening here.”

“Trent!” Ivy stood in the entry, wearing Trent’s Stanford hoodie. Her hair was wild about her face and there were tears in her eyes. “Trent…please…I need you.”

“Oh my god…” Trent stood at once. “I have to go.” He slipped away from the table and ran for the redhead. “Ivy!” he hissed. “Did you follow me?”

“I just want to talk to you! Why wouldn’t you let me talk earlier?!”

“Fine! Fuck!” Trent cursed. “Let’s go outside. We’ll talk out there.”

Ivy’s face lit up and she latched onto Trent’s arm. “You aren’t going to run again are you?”

“No, you fucking bitch,” Trent growled, then dragged the girl to the door. “Come on. You’re making a scene.”

Indeed, the whole restaurant was looking at the pair in the doorway. Most of the adults were making nasty faces. No one was impressed.

Ivy grabbed at the back of Trent’s t-shirt and hung on as she followed him out. “Nobody will talk to me, Trent. I’ve had the worst day.”

“That’s because you’re fucking insane,” Trent muttered, and the conversation faded as the door shut behind the pair. Kayden gazed after his boyfriend in total shock.

“And what was that about?” Cho asked stiffly.

“One of Trent’s ex’s,” Kayden said with a deep sigh, then in Korean. “Let’s get back to work, Emma. The fun’s over.”

“No fair! I was going to teach him some curse words!”

Kayden shook his head. He didn’t care about Korean anymore. He wanted to take out his phone and call Trent fifteen million times until he picked up but knew he couldn’t. He’d already made enough of a nuisance of himself for one day. He’d just been outted to his mother, for goodness sake!

Out the front window, Kayden spotted Trent’s black truck rolling out of the lot. He and Ivy were leaving together!

Cho went back to her table as Kayden grudgingly started to lecture his sister on the different sounds in the Korean language. Emma propped her elbows on the table and dropped her chin into her hands. She was bored, but Kayden just wanted to finish the lesson. He had to find out where Trent was.

***

The ride home was silent. Cho had nothing to say about Trent or the incident in the McDonald’s. She looked out at the road with a passive expression on her face.

Kayden could sense his mother’s disappointment, and it made him extremely uncomfortable. He watched the passing cars and trees out his window as a distraction. Beside him, Emma played a game on her phone. She was totally unaffected, and Kayden was envious of her.

As soon as they got home, Kayden ran upstairs to call Trent. Mark was late getting back from work, and now was the perfect opportunity to get in touch with the other boy.

Kayden closed the door to his bedroom, then flopped down on his bed. Holding his breath, he pulled up Trent in his contacts and dialed his number.

Trent picked up on the second ring. “I know why your calling, Kayden. I took Ivy back to her dorm. That’s all.”

“That was upsetting,” Kayden whined. “She really is stalking you, isn’t she?”

“I fucking said she was, didn’t I?” Trent growled.

“So you guys went straight to her dorm?”

“Yes! And I left her there!” Trent yelled. “Jesus Christ, I can’t stand how suspicious you are all the time!”

“I’m not suspicious!” Kayden cried. “You just walked out with your ex-girlfriend! I was worried!” The loud sound of chewing was the only response he got, and Kayden made a face. “What are you doing?”

“I’m at home getting something to eat before this fucking party.”

Kayden pouted. “So you’re still going to the party?”

“Yes! How many times do I have to tell you?!”

Kayden flinched. “You don’t have to yell at me.”

“The plans haven’t changed. I’m still going,” Trent grumbled. “I’m trying to prove a point to Ivy, but she obviously hasn’t gotten the message yet.”

“But what are you going to do about your mother?” Kayden asked. “Is she really coming this weekend?”

“I got a call from her a little bit ago, actually. She’s released from the hospital.”

Kayden smiled faintly. “That’s good. Are you going to pick her up?”

“No. I’m going to the party,” Trent said firmly. “I’m not picking her up until Sunday. “She’s just going to have to wait until I’m ready for her.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“Lizzie cleaned up the pool house this afternoon, but I need to get a new mattress for the guest room this weekend. Mitch and I…well, I won’t tell you that story.”

Kayden raised his eyebrows. “What story?”

“Never mind Kayden. You don’t want to know.”

Kayden sighed and rolled over on his back, so he could see the ceiling. “My mom knows I’m gay now. This was a really weird day.”

“She probably already knew,” Trent muttered. “Moms are good at knowing stuff like that.”

“Your mom’s going to find out we’re having sex next,” Kayden said lightly, and Trent growled under his breath.

“You’d better not tell her,” Trent said darkly. “I don’t care how much I like you, I’ll kill you if you do.”

Kayden shivered. “I-I won’t.”

“Good.”

The chewing continued and Kayden rubbed a hand across his face. “I wish we’d gotten to spend some time together today. We barely got to see each other at all.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Trent said. “We’re meeting at the school at five, right?”

“Yeah,” Kayden sighed. “But I wish I could see you now.

“Well, you can’t. You’re at home and I’m about to go to a party.”

“I know.” Kayden’s face fell. “I just wish you weren’t.”

“I’m going to hang up,” Trent sneered.

“You might as well,” Kayden muttered. “My dad will be home any minute.”

“Have fun with that.”

“I always do,” Kayden said dryly. “I love family dinners.”

Trent huffed. “Okay. I’ll call you tonight when I get home. Try to cheer up a little.”

“I’ll try.”

“Bye, baby.”

“Bye.”

Trent hung up and Kayden pulled the phone away from his ear as a horrible feeling of sadness welled inside of him. Curious, he pulled up Instagram and found Trent’s profile was still in the search bar. He spent the next thirty minutes browsing Trent’s luxurious life. The cars he drove, the clothes he wore, and the people he posed with were all premium, and he was gorgeous in every shot. Kayden had never had a social media account in his life. He was totally bedazzled.

“Kayden?” Cho called from downstairs. “Dinner’s ready.”

Kayden slipped his phone under his pillow with a sigh and headed downstairs for another boring family meal.

Copyright © 2020 mastershakeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Also, I'm always open to suggestions. That's why I'm sharing :P
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well i guess its good that Cho knows. maybe this can be her act of rebellion against mark

I think trent took it too dang far threatening kayden

They better watch out about emma. that girl is gonna be trouble! (More than she already is). 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Well i guess its good that Cho knows. maybe this can be her act of rebellion against mark

I think trent took it too dang far threatening kayden

They better watch out about emma. that girl is gonna be trouble! (More than she already is). 

Aww, I'm sorry about the threatening! But I don't think Trent isn't done with Jacob yet. And I don't think Jake's done with Kayden either.... 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Jacob tells Kayden Trent's a bad guy and then what does he do?He force kisses Kayden something...Trent would do🙄                                              

Cho now knowing may be a good thing if Mark comes close to finding out Cho could run some interference or something. Why do I think that if or when Mark finds out it will be in front of the Grandparents 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Jacob's advance was a real dick move on his part - how does he expect to have a shot with Kayden if he acts in the same way he accuses Trent of being? Not that Kayden is remotely interested.

I like the concept of Cho potentially running interference but honestly I'm not sure she's strong enough for that.  I'd like to think that the overprotective mother would come out of her, but I'm unconvinced.

Mark's gonna be so pissed when he finds out how much his children are deceiving him.

I'd love to see how easily Trent's mother picks up on Kayden's infatuation with her son.

Also, can't wait for the piercings!!!

I totally love this story and the character development!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Modified Cub said:

Jacob's advance was a real dick move on his part - how does he expect to have a shot with Kayden if he acts in the same way he accuses Trent of being? Not that Kayden is remotely interested.

I like the concept of Cho potentially running interference but honestly I'm not sure she's strong enough for that.  I'd like to think that the overprotective mother would come out of her, but I'm unconvinced.

Mark's gonna be so pissed when he finds out how much his children are deceiving him.

I'd love to see how easily Trent's mother picks up on Kayden's infatuation with her son.

Also, can't wait for the piercings!!!

I totally love this story and the character development!!!

Thank you! Stay tuned for more! I'm certainly not out of ideas 😝

Edited by mastershakeme
Link to comment

Trent is such a dick that I actually want Ivy to take a bite out of him! Kayden needs to grow up and ditch Trent. Jacob is just as bad, just in different ways. Lucas is a possibility if he actually swings that way...  Oh, Mitch needs to be hit by a bus maybe while with Trent............

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..