Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 4,222 Words
  • 4,944 Views
  • 77 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Changes, Again - 8. Sweet and Sour

 

The alarm went off at 5:30am. Don groped for it.

“Louis, why is this blasted thing ringing now?”

I rolled over, groaning. “Forgot?”

Don lay back after shutting the beeping clock off. I could feel the bed move under him as he stretched. He turned over and pulled me into his warmth. I wanted to just lay there.

“Let’s sleep a bit more, Donny.”

His lips were soft on the nape of my neck. “Mmmm, good idea.”

I awoke with a start. Confused about the time, I sat up. I’d pushed hard against Don’s chest, causing him to groan.

“Lous. You’ve just remembered the horses, right?”

“Yes. Damn it.” I swung my legs over the side of the bed.

Don pulled himself up, using the trapeze. “I’ll go.”

I twisted around to meet his eyes. He smiled and said, “They will be fine. We’ll only be about fifteen minutes late.”

“You don’t have to come, Don.”

“Yeah, I do. It’s not fair that you do everything.” He pulled on a long-sleeved shirt. “Plus, it’s Monday. I need to get some work done.”

So, we got up early. We fed the horses and let them out into the pasture. Then we mucked out the boxes and tidied up the barn.

Returning to the house, I put on a pot of coffee; we showered together and dressed for the day.

We sat at the kitchen table at about 8:30am to have cereal and coffee. I had a yellow notepad and a pen. I was writing a to-do list.

I had to make an appointment to speak with the partners about reducing hours, possibly leaving and contract work. I wrote down that I wanted to fix up Max’s room, adding a note to put one or two of Pa’s books in there. At the bottom of the list was: What needs to happen so Don can drive again?

While he ate, Don had been reading his correspondence, and then his phone rang. He picked it up and frowned at the screen before answering it.

“Hi, Robert … Tomorrow? … That’s rather short notice … Let me have a word with Lous ….”

I’d been listening, so I had an idea of what was coming.

“Lous, it seems we have a home inspection and interview tomorrow at 3:00pm.”

“Okay.” I sounded calmer than I felt. I was running through the scenarios and what needed to be cleaned and tidied.

Don was staring. “Okay? You have no issues with that?”

“No, the house is pretty good. It just needs a quick clean. And well … I want to do this so we can get Max here as soon as possible.”

“Okay.” He put the phone back to his ear. “We’ll be ready … No, we’ll get it all sorted … They will have to take us as we are … Okay, thanks, Robert … Bye.”

Don smiled up at me. “Do you want me to do the laundry out in the barn? I’m gonna go and write, Lous, so I will look after that.”

“That would be great, baby.”

We got the laundry out to the barn and I started it. I left Don at his desk while I went back to tidy rooms and generally clean up.

About an hour later, I’d just finished cleaning our room after doing what would be Max’s, when our doorbell rang.

I ran downstairs and pulled open the door to find Robert standing there with a man and a woman.

“Hi, Robert.”

“May we come in, Louis?”

“Um … yes, of course.” The couple smiled at me, as they walked in. They weren’t a couple though. They were in business attire and carried clipboards. The woman had a cross-body portfolio and a handbag as well.

They all wiped their feet as I pushed the door closed.

The man put out his hand, which I shook. “I’m Elliott Mayhew, and this is Janet Grimes. We are from Children’s Aid.”

“Hi, I’m Louis Taylor. Sorry, I wasn’t expecting you until tomorrow.”

“I know and we are sorry for the change. This isn’t a usual situation. May we sit and talk?”

“Yes, of course. Please go through. I should call Don.” I motioned my guests toward the living room.

Robert put a hand on my arm. “I’ll go get him.”

I nodded; I felt out of my depth. “Yeah, thanks.”

I offered coffee and was putting on a pot when Don and Robert came in. Don seemed as unhappy as I felt. We all returned to the living room together.

After introducing Don, I sat in the easy chair, while he remained in his wheelchair beside me.

Elliot started speaking. “First let me say, we appreciate you seeing us today.”

Don replied, “You know, when I agree to an appointment, I don’t expect people just to drop by a day early.”

“I understand—”

“No, I don’t think you do.”

Robert stared at Don. “Don … I don’t think ….”

“No, I’m sorry Robert. If me speaking my mind means Max doesn’t come here, then I’ll apologize to Max. I don’t like the tactics; I don’t like the presumption … I don’t like the idea that we need to be spied on or tricked. Frankly, I’m rather pissed off!”

Don looked at me and I nodded. I felt the same way. “Yeah, I understand those feelings, Don.”

Donny was not done. “You know, you have done background and police checks on us both. Both Louis and I have excellent reputations in our chosen fields, yet you feel the need to try and catch us out … tell me, what did you think you’d find?”

“Mr. McPhee, we—”

“I am working. You’ve interrupted me and I think you get my drift. You’re here, you’ve interrupted my day, our work. So, let’s get on with it, or, if you have already decided we are not what you want, just go.”

Both of the Children’s Aid workers sat back.

After a moment of silence, Janet Grimes moved herself forward on the sofa. “Mr. Taylor; Mr. McPhee; first of all, you’re right. We should have discussed the change in the schedule. We do make surprise visits from time to time, but this was poorly timed. I for one appreciate your candor, Mr. McPhee. If you stand up for Max like you have here, well, we couldn’t want for more.”

Don looked at the woman. “That boy is going through a terrible thing. We seem to get along, and we’d love it if he chooses to come and live with us.”

I brought coffee, and the flavour of the meeting changed slightly. Don was less prickly, and we got down to talking about Max, school and other concerns, including my job.

“I’m actually thinking of leaving and doing contract work from home. Don earns enough. It will let me have more time to do things around the house and make sure Max is looked after and supported properly.”

“Speaking of support, he mentioned to us the other day that he’s uncomfortable going to these meetings with lawyers alone.” Don rested his coffee mug on his knee.

Elliott replied, “He’s not alone, his appointed lawyer is there—”

I interrupted. “Mr. Mayhew, a lawyer is not family, or a friend. In any case Max has asked me to be with him.”

Grimes and Mayhew swapped glances. “You’d have to run that through the lawyer I guess.”

I wondered if these two had beating hearts. “You misunderstand. I am going as his friend, not to represent him. He doesn’t want to go alone. In any case, I’ll deal with it.”

The coffee was nearly done, and so was the talk, as far as I was concerned. I wanted these people on their way. “Would you like to see the house now?”

Janet Grimes smiled. “Yes, we’d like to.”

“You don’t need me, do you, Lous? I’m on a deadline.”

I bent to kiss him, heedless of our guests. “No, you go and work. I’ll bring you some lunch later.”

Don said his farewells and went out through the kitchen door.

Once alone with them, I explained the Janka rating of our wood floors and the tile in the kitchen as both being important for wheelchair users. I pointed out our wider than usual doorways. Then I took them upstairs in the elevator.

They checked the electrical faceplates, the cords on blind, and other things they thought might be choking hazards or dangers to a small child. I reminded them Max was fifteen and in a wheelchair.

After touring the three bedrooms, explaining the decorating, and the things to be added to Max’s room, the Children’s Aid officers seem satisfied. I gave them a quick tour of the grounds, showing them the finished pathways, and the barn. I pointed out Don’s office, but we didn’t go in.

Finally, we stood beside their car with Robert.

Janet Grimes scribbled a few more notes. “Mr. Taylor, the small house, is that your property?”

“Yes, it is. It’s currently occupied by Don’s mother.”

“I see, thank you. Does she approve? Will she support Max?”

“Yes, very much so. I’m sorry she’s out, otherwise you could have met.”

Robert coughed. “Don’s mother, Rena, is my fiancée. I can tell you for certain that she’s happy about Max possibly moving in.”

“Oh, I see. Congratulations, Robert. That’s wonderful.”

Elliott unlocked the car. “Thank you, Mr. Taylor, for being so accommodating on such short notice. I know it was an imposition. You’ll hear from us soon.”

Ms. Grimes smiled. “Needless to say, we have what we need and won’t be returning tomorrow. That said, if Max is coming, we will have to return to ensure that changes we discussed were complete before Max can move in.”

“Of course. As soon as everything is approved, I can add the equipment Max needs.”

I shook hands with them both and watched as they climbed into their car and drove away. Robert remained.

“I’m so sorry, Louis. I had no idea ….”

I sighed. “Wow, that was totally uncalled for. Don was not happy; I’m not either really. But it’s done.”

“It is. I should get going, too.”

“Okay. Robert … Don’s being angry, that won’t … I mean will it affect anything?”

“No, I shouldn’t think so. He was articulate, and not raging. I don’t think it will affect anything, except maybe how those two do things in the future.”

I laughed. “Well, that wouldn’t be a bad thing.”

Robert opened his car door. “No, it wouldn’t. See you later, Louis. Have a good afternoon.”

“Yeah, you too. See you later.”

I returned to the house and finished the cleaning I’d begun. “At least it will be over with.”

It was nearly noon, and I wanted to fix lunch, but before heading downstairs I peered into the third bedroom; my new office. As I stood there thinking about the colours and the desk, in the back of my mind, I knew it was a job I did not want to do. However, I had to.

I fixed an add-water chicken noodle soup, grated in a carrot, threw in some leftover chicken breast and a chopped green onion, leaving it to simmer.

Then I settled at the table, pulled out my phone and called work. Going through the staff list, I found Jackie McRae, who was the partners’ P. A. The phone rang twice.

“Jackson and Montague, how may I help you?”

“Hi, Jackie, it’s Louis Taylor.”

I could hear the smile in her voice. “Louis! I was just about to call you! How funny. How are you? I was sorry to hear about your father.”

“Thanks, Jackie. I’m doing fine, thanks.” I doodled at the bottom of my to-do list. “You were going to call me? Is everything okay?”

“Yes, everything is great. I heard—" Jackie lowered her voice. “—the meeting you prepped that huge document for went like a dream!”

I smiled. “Terrific. That’s good news.”

“Anyway, just wanted to say. I’m sure they will tell you themselves. They’d like to see you in the morning first thing Wednesday, at ten.”

This was a surprise. “Um … yes of course. I’ll be there. I sort of wanted to talk to them as well.”

“Great then, Louis. See you Wednesday.”

“Yes … thanks, Jackie. See you then.”

I finished making lunch and texted Don who said he’d come over so we could eat together. I served the soup and put a selection of sandwiches out as well. A small plate of cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumber rounded out the meal.

Don pushed open the back door and rolled in. He moved toward me, and I bent to kiss him. He smiled and went to the table. “Oh, wow. Nice! You are gonna spoil me, Lous.”

I laughed. “You’re already spoiled.” I sat down next to him.

He picked up his spoon and stirred the contents of his bowl. Don glanced up from it and met my eyes. “Thank you.”

I sipped the soup. “For what?”

“Just for being you. For being my partner. For not leaving me, when lots of people would have thrown in the towel.”

“Babe—”

Don lay his spoon down. “No. No, Louis, sometimes things just need saying.”

“’Kay.”

He reached over and lay his hand on my forearm. “I just want you to know that I am aware of each sacrifice you make for me. I see all that you do in support of me. I love you, and I’m grateful.”

I smiled and was frowning too. “Isn’t that marriage? Loving your partner? Supporting them?”

“Yeah, but it always falls to one of them more.” He took a bite from a salami and cheese sandwich. “Mmmm, great salami.”

“Not touching that comment.” I chose a tomato and cheese from the plate. “At least…not right now.”

Don laughed. We finished lunch quietly. I cleared the table and made a pot of tea. I put a Tupperware box of goodies on the table. Don loved dessert.

I was Mother, and poured our beverages. Don munched on a Nanaimo bar.

“Back to work on Wednesday, Lous?”

“Yes. I have an appointment to see them at ten.”

“Have you decided what you want to tell them?”

“Not really. Well, I’d like to just say, I resign.”

After replacing his mug on the table, Don said, “Then do it.” He reached for a blondie.

“I think I’ll talk with them first. It would be great if I could keep them as clients when I set up shop here.”

The blondie disappeared, and he started on a date square. These were small pieces so we could enjoy a few flavours without all the calories.

“Then Louis, I suggest you get out and buy your yellow curtains, desk, and whatever else you need in there.”

Little doubts had been clawing at me. This would be my own business; I’d need a business bank account, maybe even an accountant. I’d taken courses while getting my degree; I should be able to do this. I looked at Don. “Do you think I can do it? This home-based business thing?”

He licked the final crumbs from his lips and put the lid back on the Tupperware box. “Louis, don’t start all this self-doubt stuff. You handle deadlines at work, you organize us, keep our home running and clean, and our banking and investments are all handled by you. Do you think, because you will no longer drive there, that suddenly you won’t be able to work?”

“No, but there is more responsibility, isn’t there? I need to pay taxes, have a business account, and all of that.”

“I’m not making light of this, but it’s a small, albeit important, business. You need to keep receipts, which you do for us, you need to find some business software that will help sort out your deductions and taxes, or talk to an accountant. You can handle this, Louis.” He reached for and squeezed my hand. “And the small business banker at our branch can help you too.”

I listened and considered Don’s words. He smiled at me and continued, “Are you having trouble deciding what to do … to take the step to resign?”

“Yeah, it’s scary; I’m used to the security of having a pay cheque and benefits.”

Don frowned slightly. “Okay, I can help. Right now I want you to write a letter of resignation. Give them three weeks’ notice. Then I want you to phone the bank and make an appointment with a Small Business Banker, at the branch closest to work. Then you can go in and talk with them. Open the account maybe. Start to do research into a benefits package that mirrors or is better than what is offered by the partners.”

I’d reached for my yellow pad and scribbled stuff on my to-do list. “Thanks, Don.”

He smiled at me once more. “Baby, you worry too much, or maybe I don’t worry enough.”

“Why are you so … so decisive?”

“Because, Lous, if you dither and fret, nothing gets done. Make a choice, and then follow through. It’s not always gonna work, but often it will.” He leaned toward me for a kiss. “It will be okay. You will think back in a year and wonder why you worried.”

I smiled at him. “You’re right. I’ll clear up here and get on with things.”

With lunch consumed and cleared away, Don went back to work. I did some online shopping for things for my office. I ordered a desk and computer. Don had a very high-end printer in his office, which I’d rather use than purchasing another. I made a list of the benefits we were looking for. I typed up a resignation letter on my laptop and put it on a USB.

Around 3:00 I took a break and texted Max. Just to say hello and let him know we’re thinking of him. I then called the bank to make a lunchtime appointment for Friday. I decided to go out for some fresh air. It had been over a week since we’d been running; I was craving the exertion. I went over to see how Don was doing, and to print my letter.

He was typing on his laptop when I went in. He turned and smiled at me. “Hey baby, how are you? “

“I’m good Donny. Nearly everything is done. I just wondered if you felt like getting some exercise. I feel like a run.” I held up the USB. “And can you print this for me, please?”

“Great idea. Give me ten minutes to finish up here.” He smiled. “You change and get my stuff out for me, please? I’ll be right up to change. And of course, I’ll print the letter for you. I’ll even fold it and put it in an envelope!”

“Thanks!” I bent to kiss him. “See you in a few minutes.”

 

The run had been what we both needed. Afterward, we had dinner, coaxed in the horses and then spent our evening together. Giggling like teenagers, we decided to go to bed early. We slept well … eventually.

~~~

 

After a normal early start on Wednesday, I arrived at the office just before nine. I was a bag of nerves, and glad the meeting was early. I settled at my desk for an hour, plowed through a number of e-mail and tried to get myself organized.

Ten minutes before the meeting I checked again that I had my resignation letter. I put it in a sleeve in my portfolio. I locked my computer and made my way to the partners’ offices.

Jackie was smiling as I approached. “Hey, good morning, Louis. How are you?”

“I’m doing okay, thanks, Jackie. Bit nervous today.”

“They both seemed in good moods this morning. Not that they are often not in a good mood.”

“That’s a good thing.”

At that moment, Jackie’s phone buzzed, and she answered. “Yes, sir.” Then to me she said, “Go on in, Louis. They are ready for you.”

My heart was pounding as I nodded at her. “Thanks.”

I chastised myself for being so nervous as I entered the meeting room. Pulling myself together, I closed the door and said, “Good morning.”

Pierre Montague was in his early fifties, but his blond hair didn’t show it. “Louis, good to see you.”

“Yes, good morning, Louis. Glad you’re back. How is your family? We were sorry to hear about your father’s passing.” Frank Jackson rose and shook my hand. Unlike his business partner, Jackson’s dark hair was shot with silver.

“We’re all coping well, thank you. To be honest, he’d been ill for a long time.” I pulled out a chair across from them.

They rarely sat at the ends of the boardroom table, preferring to sit side-by-side in the middle.

“Louis, we’ll get right to it. We know you likely have a lot of e-mail to get through.” Mr. Jackson opened a leather notebook. “We’d like to talk about a case we’ll need a lot of due diligence for—”

I interrupted him. “I’m sorry … I think I’d better explain something before letting you continue.”

Both partners were surprised, it seemed, at my breaking in. Mr. Montague said, “This is unusual, Louis. What is it?”

I drew in a deep breath. “First, I just want to say thank you. You’ve both been very supportive. There’s a lot going on in my life, including the fact that we are going to foster a boy who has recently lost his parents.”

Mr. Montague spoke first and said, “And how does this affect us, Louis? Are you asking for more time, because …?”

“No, sir. I’m saying that after a lot of thought, I’m giving you my resignation and three-week notice.”

Both of them sat back in their chairs.

There was silence. They both looked at each other, and Frank Jackson leaned forward.

“Louis … Louis, you’re a talented researcher and a good employee.” He glanced to his partner. “We don’t want to lose you. Is resigning the only option here?”

I gazed at both men, taking a moment to collect my thoughts. “These past few years, with Don’s accident, and now this boy coming into our lives has made me reconsider a lot of things. I like what I do very much but I need to be home more than I am …. No, I want to be there especially once Max moves in.”

Pierre Montague was nodding. “I think we understand that. Louis can you give us some time to think of options?”

I smiled at him. “Mr. Montague, my plan is to continue my work as a paralegal, but from home. My own business.” I paused for a deep breath. “I had hoped you’d consider letting me work for you on a contract basis.”

Frank Jackson nodded. “That’s interesting, Louis, and I understand it. It’s about work and life balance. Something that is more important now, but it always should have been.”

Pierre rose, so I did also. He put out his hand which I grasped. “Louis, as senior partner, we will accept your resignation from the firm. However, we would love to continue having you work with us.”

“Yes, we’ll draw up a contract and work with you.” Frank Jackson was saying, “We wish you all the best, Louis.”

“Thank you. Thanks, very much.” I wanted to plunk my backside into the chair and weep from relief.

“The issue is your notice. Policy says once an employee has resigned, they are required to leave, give up their security passes and access will be removed,” Mr. Montague was saying.

I guess I appeared shocked because he continued. “Louis, we’ll pay you for the three weeks. Go home. Get your life, your office, your accounts, etcetera in order. We have a big job coming up and we need you as soon as possible.” He turned to Mr. Jackson. “Let’s get Terry on this for now and we’ll prepare something for Louis.”

Jackson was scribbling notes.

Pierre Montague flipped his gaze to me. “Can we meet again in two weeks?” He picked up the phone. “Jackie, schedule a two-hour meeting with us and Louis two weeks from now please … no, better make it three hours just in case. It’s regarding the Timberton file … Yes, thank you.”

“Will you be ready, Louis?” Montague was asking me.

“Yes, sir, I’ll be ready. I’ll see Jackie about the meeting and see you both then.”

“Excellent. Do you have a letter for us?”

I took the letter from my portfolio and handed it over. Mr. Montague accepted it and shook my hand. “Exciting times, Louis. We’ll speak soon. Please ensure that Jackie always has your current contact information.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Stay here for a moment. Jackie will come in with some paperwork and then you can go home.”

I nodded and sat down. The enormity of this change was slamming me. I sat, and when Jackie came in, I smiled at her. She sat down and began giving me documents to fill in and sign.

I’d done it! I’d taken the first step to a new chapter in my life and I was ready.

~~~

@AC Benus thank you my friend, for all of your hard work and support. You mean the world to me.
@mollyhousemouse thanks to you also, you're listening, reading skills are second to none.
@BHopper2 to you also, thank you for all the time you have invested in reading for me.

And thanks to all of you who choose to read Changes, Again. I am grateful.
Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 34
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Quote

Don munched on a Nanaimo bar.

I was so proud that I recognized the name as commemorating the city in BC!  ;–)

 

7 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

Can I have Don some days? Everyone needs a decisive partner once in a while...

I need a Don. One who has extraordinary patience and a sense of humor (to deal with my ‘quirks’). Someone who can figure out a way to tell me what to do without making me feeling like I’m being manipulated or pressured. And that’s why I’m single!  ;–)

 

1 hour ago, bubby1234 said:

i can tell you that social workers are rude overbearing self opinionated naive  idiots

I think it must be a nearly no-win type job. On the one hand, you’re expected to protect the children at all cost, yet you’re often prevented from keeping the kids away from their parents who may have been abusive (even if you can’t prove it). You start to expect everyone to lie to you because bad parents will do that to keep their kids and abused kids will do that due to pressure from their parents or undeserved loyalty to their family – or even because they fear change will be worse than their current situation. Some foster families have financial motivations rather than goodwill and empathy.

 

A social worker has to build a strong shell to protect themselves from being hurt by what they have to deal with. Too much empathy would lead to too much heartache. Being too soft could lead to even more damage to the child.

 

And social workers might seem god-like in their power to take a child away from where they are, but they’re stuck under an overwhelming weight of bureaucracy, regulations, and public opinion (in high profile cases) with few resources or options. At least in the US, all social services are grossly under-funded in a misguided attempt to trim the fat and force efficiency. While it might seem like all social workers are terrible people, I think that many of the good ones leave because they can’t deal with the conditions.

 

This becomes a death spiral where the least qualified remain and the agencies become even less efficient with everyone involved left feeling worse off.

Link to comment
Just now, Mikiesboy said:

You think i was too mean to the Social Workers?  It was Don.. not me..  :D 

Not at all. I think that pair was really out of line. If they had given the excuse that something came up that prevented their visit the following day, it might have ameliorated the imposition slightly. Based on my experiences with social workers (in the only tangentially related homeless services), I’d say that there’s a mix of good and bad. But the good one have to create a hard shell to prevent themselves from being taken advantage of (a doctor I met seemed very gruff and prickly – until she got to know that you weren’t going to abuse her kindness).

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..