Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 8,268 Words
  • 5,321 Views
  • 69 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Changes, Again - 13. To Everything There Is A Season

Chapters 14, and 15 are here for your doubled chapter pleasure.

Chapter 14

To Everything There Is A Season

 

We were flying to St. John’s, Newfoundland on December 21, which was Friday. Our flight left at 3pm, so Max would only be in school a half-day.

The day before, Thursday, December 20, we were driving the horses to a stable we’d used a few times now. The people on staff there were good, professional and worth every penny. We could leave our animals, knowing they were in good hands for the two weeks we’d be away. They also posted pictures of the horses in their care on their webpage daily so you could get a glimpse of your darling if you were worried. Okay, I did check the page! It just made me feel better.

 

On Wednesday we had gotten up and took the horses out for a long ride. Taro seemed so miserable when we left him behind, as Max was in school. I took Taro out for an hour after we’d returned with the other two.

 

We’d visited with Miriam, Doug and the kids on the Saturday before. James understood why we wouldn’t be around on Christmas Day, but Millie got rather upset. She was even more heartbroken when James teased her.

“Don’t be such a baby, Millie,” James said.

“I want Unc Louis and Don on Chrismiss Day.” She stomped away when her Dad told her she was being difficult.

“Not diffit, Daddy!”

Miriam picked her up and carried to her room.

Don quickly glanced at me, before saying, “Geez, I’m really sorry. I had no idea this would upset her like it has.”

Doug smiled. “Her favourite uncle won’t be there for her favourite day.” He grinned. “I think all the rest of us could disappear as long as Louis was here.”

I think my mouth fell open.

“You must have noticed, Louis. She hangs off of you.”

I’d noticed she seemed to like me. “No, I hadn’t. At least not to that extent.”

Miriam returned and sat next to Doug. She was such a different person now. Having Doug and her family seemed to have mellowed her somehow.

“Yeah, she’s not happy you guys will be away. And taking Max too, her new cousin.” Miriam sipped a glass of eggnog. “But, we need to learn, and she will.”

Max seemed taken with this new part of his foster family. He and James had moved closer to the TV and Xbox, and were playing a watery-looking racing game. There was much good-natured joking and laughter.

I’d been watching them when Miriam whispered, “So, are you thinking about adoption?”

Frankly, it had never entered my head, but it made sense. I blinked at Don, just as the same lightbulb went off in his head. He appeared as surprised as I felt.

He answered his sister, “No. Well, not until this moment. It seems like the logical step, if it’s something Maxy would want.”

Don reached for my hand. “I guess we need to talk.”

Returning his squeeze, I said, “Actually, Don, I really don’t think we need to talk at all. Not in this case.”

There were tears in his eyes as he nodded. “No, I guess we don’t, babe.”

Doug was smiling, and Miriam clapped her hands silently. “That would be wonderful for all of you!”

“Yeah, well, Lous and I may not need to talk, but we certainly need to talk with Maxy. And we will.”

At that moment, Millie came back and stood beside us. She clambered up onto my knee and threw her arms around me. “Unc Louis, I will miss you on Chrismiss Day.”

I hugged the sweet little girl. “Aw, I’ll miss you too, Buttercup.” I stroked her yellow curls. “How about if I send a special text to you?”

She nodded into my chest. “Yes, please.”

“Okay, we will send you one and a couple of pictures too.”

“Okay.”

Max had rolled over to join us, followed by James.

“You know what, Millie? There’s a new horse over at our place. Maybe you could come and ride on him if you want. Once we get back home.”

Millie gazed at Max. “New one?”

“Yup, his name is Taro. Hold on ….” Max pulled out his phone. “Here’s a picture of him.”

Millie got down and went over to Max to look. “He is pretty. I can ride on him?”

“Sure, why not?” Max smiled at the little girl. “But you need to be good over Christmas time, okay?”

The kid’s a natural! I sat back and watched all the interactions around me. Maybe I’d get used to this family thing after all.

The rest of the afternoon went off perfectly. We all had a wonderful time.

~~

Once Max had gone to school for his half-day, everything fell into place. I liked to plan but often things still slipped by, or something would come up.

Luggage was piled by the front door. The stable was checked over and locked up. I checked all the taps were off; lights off. I’d made sure the car was put away and that the van’s tank was full.

I carried all the luggage out to the van. I’d sent Max to school dressed in comfy travelling clothes so we would pick him up there in a couple of hours.

In the kitchen I sat down with a cup of coffee and was going over all of my lists when Don joined me.

“You’re organized, as usual.” He grinned. “Anything I can do?”

“I don’t think so, unless you want to finish the milk off.”

He laughed. “You want me to drink a glass of milk? You’re sure you don’t need it?”

“Ha, smartass. No, I don’t need it and it will just go down the drain if you don’t finish it.”

Don rolled over to the fridge and pulled out the carton. He came back to the table. Still smiling, he opened the carton and drank from it. “Mmm, the only time you can drink from the carton and not get in shit.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Will you ever stop being ten?”

Don gazed at me with a smile. “Lous, I have to say that is very unlikely, however, I’m sure you agree, there are times I am much, much older than ten.”

“Yeah, okay. There are times you are, I’ll admit.”

Don was silent for a moment. He put the carton of milk to his lips, tipped back his head and finished the contents. He closed the container with care and put it on the table. “Louis?”

“Mmm, yeah, babe?” I checked off a couple more things from the list before me.

“Lous … I know we said we didn’t need to talk but, tell me what you think about us talking to Maxy about us adopting him?”

I sat back in my chair for a moment. What did I think exactly? “I think we need to talk to Max about it. Until the second Miriam said it, I’d never even given adoption a thought.”

“Do you think it’s too soon?”

“Shit, Donny, I don’t know. I mean he seems happy here. But will he feel it’s one more permanent nail in the memory of his parents? I don’t know.”

“I never want that … for him to forget his parents.”

“No, I know that. But will he feel that’s what he’s doing if he goes along with us adopting him.”

Don sighed. “Well, I guess there is only one way to find out, isn’t there?”

I laid down my pencil. “Yes, there is. But let’s wait; play it by ear. I think we’ll know when the right moment has arrived.”

“Yeah, okay. Makes sense.” Don picked up the carton and put it back down. “Is this all too soon?”

“You’ve said that, Don. Are you having second thoughts?”

Don’s eyes widened. “No! No, of course not. I’ve just never done this before, Louis. We haven’t. I don’t want any of us to get hurt.” Don dropped his eyes to the table top. Those amber eyes met mine again when he whispered, “I don’t know how I’d handle it if he says no.”

“You’ve fallen in love with him, haven’t you?”

Don swallowed and sighed. “Yes. I love having him here. Love all of us being a family.”

My heart hitched and tears sat in my eyes as I watched my husband struggle with these new emotions. “I love this too, Don. I want it as badly as you. That’s why I think we should wait a little before we broach this topic.”

“Okay … okay, Lous. We should let some more time to pass.”

“I think it’s for the best.”

Silently, Don reached for my hand. We sat that way, each lost in our own thoughts. Yet we were united in our desire for our small family.

 

After a final cleanup in the kitchen, I got Don into the van, ran around and did one final check. I took pictures of the stove to prove to myself in a week everything was switched off. I’d unplugged all the small appliances, other than the fridge. Then I got into the van and we drove over to school to pick up Max. It was lunchtime, so there were a bunch of kids around when we arrived.

Max was chatting to a few kids, which I was happy to see, when we pulled in. I turned to Don, who had noticed as well and was smiling.

“I like seeing that, Louis.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“Lous, when did we become, like, parents?”

“When? I think the day we took Max for pizza. I don’t think we’ve looked back from that day.” I took off my seatbelt and opened the door. “I like it, Donny. I like it a lot.”

He was smiling when I shut my door, after jumping out of the vehicle. Max had noticed us, and I waved at him as I went around to open the backdoor and pulled down the ramp.

A couple of the kids came with Max as he joined me. “Louis, this is Leigh and Jack, my friends from Art at Four.”

“Hi, nice to meet you both.” I smiled at the kids.

“Louis is one of my foster-dads.”

Leigh was a pretty brunette; she smiled and said, “It’s nice to meet you, Mr.?”

“It’s Taylor, but call me Louis, please. You too, Jack.”

Jack had light brown hair, and was a bit on the skinny side. “Um, thanks, Mr. Taylor.”

“Yep. You ready, Max?”

“Yes, Louis.” Max pivoted back to his friends. “Okay, so you guys have a good Christmas! I’ll keep in touch. I think they have the internet there ….” He glanced at me; I nodded. “Yeah, they do, so we can talk and stuff.”

Jack gave Max a high-five and a fist-bump. “See you, man. Merry Christmas, Mr. Taylor.”

“Thank you, Jack. All the best to you and your family.”

I waited for Max. He moved around to face me—with a friendly glare—until I realized he wanted a moment alone. I moved quietly up to the passenger side and knocked on Don’s window.

“Hey, what’s the hold up?”

I gave him the same look I’d just gotten. Don glanced in the side mirror, then to me. “Max and that girl?”

“I guess so.”

Don grinned happily. “Oh, that’s so sweet!”

“That’s Leigh, the one he talks about from Art at Four.”

“I see. Well that’s nice for them.” He glanced in the mirror again. “I think they are done.”

“Good, because we need to get moving.” I twisted slightly in time to see Leigh bending down and kissing Max’s cheek. He smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

My watch was telling me we did have to get moving. I gave Don a kiss and peered toward Max. “Maxy, we gotta go.”

“Right, okay, Louis.” He smiled once more at the girl. “Bye Leigh, I’ll text you. Merry Christmas.”

“Same to you, Max. Talk soon.” She smiled at me. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Taylor. Merry Christmas.”

“And you, Leigh. Merry Christmas to you and your family.”

“Thanks. Bye.” She walked away but spun around once to wave.

I grasped the handles on his chair and pushed Max up the ramp. “She seems very nice.”

“Yes, she is. I like her a lot.”

I maneuvered Max into place and locked his chair in.

“Are you gonna tell me I’m too young now?”

Once I straightened up, I replied, “No, I hadn’t planned on it.”

“Oh.”

I grinned at him. “I liked people when I was your age, so why can’t you?”

“I just thought ….”

“Max, you may be too young for marriage, but you can like people. Be friends first, is my only advice.” I patted him on the knee and left the van. I pushed the ramp back into place and closed the back doors.

Once I’d climbed in and put on my seatbelt, I started the engine and we moved out of the school parking lot. I headed over to the main highway and went south. I wanted to get on the 401 which would take us across the city to the airport.

Don knew I didn’t like talking a whole lot while driving, especially on the highway, so it was a quiet trip. We parked in the Park ‘n Fly lot and then got a special transport van over to Departures.

We unloaded the luggage and I found a luggage cart. We were a couple of hours early for our flight and Max and Don said they were hungry. So we found a Tim Hortons, had a hot chocolate, and a doughnut each.

After our snack we went to check in and moved through to our gate to wait for our flight to be called to pre-board. I got the pair of them to use the washroom. We then had to wait for Max’s special aisle chair to arrive. Don decided he’d walk with his crutches and his chair would be stored, along with Max’s.

The airplane had an aisle chair accessible toilet; however, they were hard to use, so we hoped Max wouldn’t need the bathroom during the flight. But I’d help him if necessary.

A steward brought the chair for Max, and we moved him easily. He was getting very good at moving himself. The steward led us through to the plane, and we boarded. Don left his chair at the last moment and used his crutches to walk to his seat. I’d booked ours in the bulkhead section. The steward, Andrew, got us settled.

“Um, sir, would you mind coming forward with me for a moment.”

He was speaking to me. “Sure.”

I followed him into the first-class section.

“Thanks. I just wasn’t sure about bringing this up in front of your son,” he was saying, “But for me to seat you there, you need to be able to get the bulkhead door open. Are you able to, if necessary?”

I smiled at him. “Yes, not a problem. If I can’t, my husband can.”

“Your husband? He’s on crutches ….”

“Yeah, trust me, he will open that door. Nothing will stop him.”

Andrew stared at me for a moment. When he had determined I was telling the truth, he nodded. “Okay, fair enough. Thank you.”

“No problem. Thanks, Andrew.”

The steward smiled and returned me to my seat. He then went on with his duties.

The flight and landing were uneventful. Max enjoyed the trip, and we were off-boarded first. I went to await our luggage, while Don and Max waited for assistance with their wheelchairs.

Once we were all together again, we left the gate and went to find Laura. I spotted her red hair right away. With her was Ma, who was waving furiously.

Don rolled forward, but Max was slower. I went and walked with him.

“You okay, Max?”

“Yeah … you know, Louis.”

“I do. These are my family. They talk funny, but they are wonderful people.”

Max glanced up at me. “Talk funny?”

“Yes b’y. Dontcha know us Newfoundlanders got us a way all our own?”

He grinned. “Sort of ….”

“You’ll pick it up, don’t worry.”

Ma ran over to hug me. She hugged Don and waited for introductions to Max.

She shook his hand. “It’s lovely to meet ya, Max. Call me Doreen.”

“Hello … it’s nice to meet you.”

Laura was joking with Don after she’d said hello to me. Then it was her turn to say hello to Max. “Whatta y’at, Max?”

Poor Max! What did that mean?

 

He glanced at me, his eyes begging for help.

“That means, how are you or what are you doing?” I’d bent to whisper in his ear. I gave him a response.

Grinning, he repeated it. “Best kind, b’y.” With his eyes again on me, he said, “What does that mean?”

Everyone laughed. Ma put her hand on Max’s shoulder. “Best kind means good, and b’y, well it’s just something we say ta everyone. Get me, b’y?”

Max laughed. “I get ya!”

Laura led the way out of the airport to her vehicle. “Best get a move on. Maureen will have the ol’ slut on.”

I said to Max, “Maureen will have the kettle on.”

Max just grinned and shook his head.

We stopped by the Airbnb to accept the keys and leave our luggage. I’d known we’d have to go to Ma’s or Laura’s first thing for a scoff. No way you’d come ‘ome and not go to yer family for a cuppa.

Once at Laura’s, we managed to get everyone inside. We settled in the spacious kitchen and watched as Maureen and Laura set out food and a huge pot of tea.

Ma took Max through to the big living room to check out the Christmas tree. I went to the doorway when I thought I heard Max upset.

My mother sat beside our foster child with a box of tissues on her knee and her hand on his shoulder.

“It’s all right, ya know, Max. Yer whole life you’ll miss ‘em. Days, like this one, Christmas, will always bring memories of yer parents an’ family.”

Max accepted a tissue and wiped his eyes. He gazed intently at my mother. “I’m sorry. I really don’t feel right about calling you by your first name.”

She laughed. “Tis all right, b’y. D’ya tink you can call me Gran? Just please not Mrs. Taylor.”

“Yeah, Gran. That works.” Max smiled at her. “You know, Louis lent me some of … your husband’s … Grandad’s books. He was a really good photographer ….”

Smiling, I left them to talk together.

 

Don was laughing in the kitchen with Maureen and Laura. If the table hadn’t been oak, it would have collapsed under all the food set out on it. I sat down beside my husband.

“Laura, are ya feedin’ the five thousand?” I asked her.

“Hush, b’y and get stuck inta the food.”

Maureen went to collect Ma and Max. We all sat down to eat and drink mugs of hot, creamy tea.

After thirty minutes or so of eating and laughing, Maureen exclaimed, “I’m stogged!”

We’d just finished eating wonderful cream cakes and tea.

“Me too,” I said. I didn’t think I could fit another bite in.

Max was still enjoying the cake. “What does that mean?”

Maureen smiled. “It means I’m full to burstin’, me duck.”

“Okay ….” Max grinned. “I like how people talk here.”

“Lucky dat, b’y,” Laura said. “Seein’ yer stuck ‘ere nearon two week.”

“Yes, I guess yer right b’y,” Max stammered out.

Don was laughing. “You don’t even have to try and talk like them. If you’re here long enough it just starts to happen.”

“Y’be right dere, Don.” Ma was smiling.

It was good to see her smile. I was glad everyone was getting on, but I wondered why I had worried about it in the first place.

“Down at my place, Max, I’ve got several more books by Gavin. Some I ‘ave a couple of copies of. Yer welcome ta them if you’d like. ‘Ave a look when you come by.”

“Thanks, Gran. I’d like that a lot.”

Don glanced at me, and I shrugged. He knew that meant I’d explain later.

It had been a nice meal but we still had things to sort out at our home base. So, we said our good nights.

Our Airbnb apartment was on the ground floor and easy to access for the wheelchairs. We just made sure we dried the wheels since there was snow on the ground here. Luckily, not too much at the moment.

It was a roomy comfortable place. Max and Don seemed to have little trouble maneuvering around it.

We got inside and removed boots and hung up coats.

In the living room was a four-foot decorated Christmas tree, along with a nice flat screen tv and stereo. The guys went to watch TV while I took in the kitchen.

In the fridge was a small carton of milk and a covered pan, that said: Heat Me on 350F for dinner.

I pulled out the food and peered under the foil. Lasagna! I silently thanked our very generous landlord once more.

Don rolled into the kitchen, which was much smaller than our own. “Everything okay, Lous?”

“Yeah, the Proctors left us a pint of milk and a lasagna!”

“Wow, that’s very kind. We don’t need to eat tonight anyway.” Don swiveled around to gaze out the window. “I can help you unpack, baby.”

“Yeah, let’s do that. Make sure we can brush our teeth and sleep.”

Max said he could handle his own room. “I’ll yell if I need help.”

“Okay, Maxy.” Don grinned and followed me into our bedroom.

We got everything unpacked and put away. I’d brought a bottle of wine with us and root beer for Max in my luggage. They both went into the fridge. Tomorrow I would have to drive to the grocery store.

I found the internet log-on instructions in the information package the landlords, Mr. and Mrs. Proctor, had left. I gave those to Max.

“Thanks, Louis. I got everything put away.” Max sat at the small desk in his room. “This is a very nice place.”

“It is. Very nice.” I smiled at him.

Max stopped to stared at me. “It’s weird, you know, in some ways I feel like I’ve lived with you guys for ages. That’s a good thing, right?”

I sat on the edge of his bed. “It’s a good thing if you feel it’s right.”

“It does feel right.”

I got up and gave him a hug.

 

Over the next few days we went shopping and spent time with my mother. We all had a good time, but there seemed something special between her and Max. They shared a lot of time together. Maybe an unconscious understanding of the loss each of them had suffered.

We rented a passenger van with a lift. We got everyone in and drove out to experience the Atlantic Ocean. Ma asked if we could drive to Witless Bay, so Max could see it there.

I’d reviewed the weather for the 23rd, and with any luck we’d not run into any snow. It was cold, and most of the roads were clear. But here, that can change in a heartbeat. There were chains in the back, and the van had good winter tires. I made sure we had an emergency kit as well. There was a lot of lonely highway between us and Witless Bay, and you could easily become stuck. If it changed while we were away, well, we’d just have to find a hotel to holdup in.

Max brought his camera and sketch pad. He was happy and excited to be out. We got to Witless Bay and drove down to so he could see the ocean. The wind was raw, and pushing his chair was rough, but worth it, to see his face. The spray was icy cold, and we couldn’t stay long before we were chilled to the bone. He took pictures.

“Wow, man, it’s amazing, Louis. It’s so beautiful here.”

I squatted beside him. “Yeah, it is, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. Thanks for bringing me, Louis.”

“You’re welcome. Maybe we’ll come back when it’s warmer.” I got to my feet and rubbed my hands together. “You got what you need?”

He turned to me then, his eyes bright, and he smiled with a happiness I’d not seen before. His voice was soft when he replied, “Yes, Louis. I have everything I need.”

I nodded. I moved behind him and grabbed the handles on his chair. I pushed him back up to the parking lot. Ma and Don had stayed inside the van out of the wind and cold.

Once we got Max back into the van, and the wheelchair stored, we drove around to find a place to buy coffee and sandwiches. Ma and I went inside; the weather seemed to be getting worse.

As we waited for our order, I asked, “What do you think, Ma? Think we should head back?”

“Yes, me duck. I think we’ll need to get a move on.”

I glanced at her. “Better to bed down?”

“No, Louis. Get on the highway and let’s get back to town. It looks like we may get a lot of it. I rather not be stuck here.”

“Okay, Ma. Let’s get out of here then.”

We settled our bill and carried our food and hot drinks out to the van. When everyone was happily munching, I started the van and got us back on the road. The snow was falling steadily now. It wasn’t too long a drive but the snow was starting to fall faster.

By the time we reached St. John’s, about two inches of snow had fallen. I dropped Ma at her apartment and then drove us home. We did have reserved parking, which was a good thing. The driveway had been cleared as had been the front walk. I silently thanked the owner once more as I first got Don out and then Max. Don has the upper body strength to get himself through the bit of snow on the ground. I hovered behind Max as he pushed himself and gave him a hand when he seemed to tire a little.

 

In the morning on Christmas Eve, I went shopping. We then spent a quiet day together. Later we wrapped up warmly and went with the others to watch the Mummers Parade.

“What are Mummers?” Max asked Ma.

“Well, it’s usually friends or family who disguise themselves. At Christmas they visit neighbours’ houses. You invite them in, and they sing or recite something; maybe dance. The host must guess who is visiting them before they offer refreshments. Once they are known, they remove their disguises and spend a bit of time talking and sharing a drink before they move on to the next house.”

“Oh, thanks Gran. Sounds kinda fun really.”

“It is, b’y. Simple pleasures.”

~~

 

 

Chapter 15 A Time To Gather Stones Together

 

Christmas morning was quiet. We were all tired from the previous afternoon, plus the evening at the parade, and then we’d joined Ma at church for a Christmas Eve Service. We didn’t get up until nearly ten.

Don and I made love quietly, our gift to each other.

“Mmm, Lous, I love you. Merry Christmas.”

I lay a-top him where I’d collapsed, just enjoying the scent of him and his arms around me. “Merry Christmas, Don.”

Suddenly I was just overcome, and Don held me tighter. “Hey, what’s this? Lous, why the tears?”

“I don’t know, just everything, Pa, Max … being here. You.”

He said nothing, just kissed my forehead and held me.

I heard his voice and realized I’d been asleep. “Lous, I’m just gonna move you off me, baby.”

“Yeah, sorry. I … I guess I fell asleep.”

“Not only you. But right now, I gotta go.”

 

We got up, and Max was out in the living room watching TV. I’d been for a few supplies the previous morning and went to the kitchen to make coffee. I’d gone to a local bakery to purchase a fruit loaf to have for breakfast. I’d found some nice old cheddar at the store which I put out as well.

I carried it all out to the living room, along with a carton of chocolate milk for Max.

Don poured coffee, and finally, we each sat with our breakfast. There were carols being sung on some television program. We sat quietly eating and watching. The Christmas tree twinkled.

Once I’d eaten, I took a few pictures of us and the tree and texted them to Millie, as promised. Don phoned his sister’s, and we all spoke a few moments to say Merry Christmas.

Though it’s a happy time, there is always a part of me that is a bit melancholy at this time of year. Perhaps it’s because we often slow down, and spend time with the people who really matter in our lives. I mourn the rest of the year when we often don’t have time.

I sat watching Don and Max, and I realized my fear of looking after another person had been foolish. All of this had made my life richer. Max was not a burden.

Don, I knew, had his eye on me. “You all right, Lous?”

I grinned. “Yes, I’m fine. Let’s open a couple of gifts.”

A perpetual child, Don laughed. “Excellent. I love presents!”

Max smiled throughout our little exchange. His eyes told me what he was thinking. “I left my stuff in my room. I’ll be right back.”

We watched him go.

“You think he’s okay, Louis.”

I took Don’s hand and leaned toward him for a kiss. “Yeah, I do. He’s dealing with things. Like we all have to when someone dies.”

“Yeah. It’s not an easy thing, taking what life hands you.”

“Do you still ask yourself, what if, Donny?”

“You mean what if I’d listened to you and not taken up motorcycle racing?”

“Well … yeah, I guess.”

“Sometimes. But Lous, life is too fucking short to live in the past, or regret things you cannot change. Life is to be lived, and that’s what I’ve always done. And legs, or no fucking legs, it’s what I’m going to do.”

Max had rolled back into the living room. He’d heard Don’s passionate speech. On his knee were some carefully wrapped packages. His eyes were on Don’s as he moved closer.

I got up to help him.

“Thanks, Louis. This is for Gran, and this for Maureen and Laura.”

I took the gifts and put them with the ones we’d take with us later.

“This one is for you and Don. It’s just one; I hope you both like it.” Max handed the gift to Don.

I sat next to Don, and we opened it carefully. Inside was a painting. Don gasped a little.

“Max, this is wonderful. Wow. Thank you.”

It was a picture of the three of us, riding together up our favourite dirt road. It was early morning and the sun was just over the horizon. It was a wonderfully captured moment.

“Thank you, Max,” I said. “It’s perfect; it really is.”

“I’m glad you like it.” Max grinned.

Don handed Max a gift. “Something from us.” Inside was the latest smartwatch thing it seemed every kid on earth wanted.

“Wow!” Max tore off the paper. “This is excellent. Whoa! Thanks, you guys!”

Don gave me a little box, which held a hand-written note. It said: I owe you one special birthday trip!

I grinned. “Thanks, babe. I love it!” And I did.

Don took the thick red envelope I handed him. He opened it; his eyes wide. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah. I am.”

Max was craning his neck. “What is it?”

“It’s an afternoon on a race track with various cars that are set up for disabled drivers. I’ve read about them. They can’t be driven as fast but they go!” Don leaned over to kiss me. “Thanks, Lous. I love it.”

We sat drinking coffee and chocolate milk, talking about what Max’s new watch could do, and where we’d go on my birthday trip. It was a good morning, filled with laughter.

 

We were to be at Ma’s for dinner about 1:30pm. Traditionally, Christmas Dinner would be just after 3pm.

It was cold but clear, and we decided to walk up to Ma’s. It wasn’t far and if it snowed too much, I could always come and pick up the van.

We bundled up for the walk. Don went ahead on the narrow sidewalk. I followed pushing Max, who held a pile of gifts.

“Um … so, I’ve been checking things out online,” Max said as we walked.

Don glanced back briefly. “Yeah? What things?”

“So, schools really.”

I watched the vapour we breathed out dispel.

“Schools? What schools, Maxy?”

“Here. I thought I’d apply for college here. One of the schools has a really good visual arts program.”

“No reason you can’t do that.”

I smiled as I pushed. “Nope, no reason at all. You like it here?”

“Yes, Louis. I do ….”

Don interrupted. “This is the house, right?”

“Yes … let’s get inside.”

 

It was warm and smelled delicious inside Ma’s flat. Turkey, sage stuffing and cloves and cinnamon filled the air.

“God, it smells great in here, Doreen.” Don breathed in deeply.

“Thanks, Don.” Ma grabbed our coats. “Let’s get everyone inside.”

Don used his crutches as Ma’s place was a bit small for two wheelchairs, and Max had to remain in his mostly.

We settled in the living room. We had a boozy eggnog, not Max however, and we opened gifts Ma gave us. We gave her a few small items, things she enjoyed, like Laura Secord Chocolate Mints.

Once all else was open, we gave her the painting Max had done. She sat with it on her knee, still wrapped.

“Tis by you, is it b’y?” She looked up into Max’s eyes.

“I painted it, but it’s from all of us, Gran.”

She pulled the paper off. “Oh … my.”

Time seemed to have stopped for a moment as my mother looked at the scene she loved, now in oils. Tears ran down her face as she held it up. “Oh, Max, it’s perfect … beautiful. It’s my very favourite picture of Gavin’s. I’ll cherish this every day, b’y.”

“I’m so glad you like it.” Max was smiling and struggling to hold on to his emotions.

Ma got up and went to hug him.

We decided to wait for Maureen and Laura before finishing off the gift-giving, and so settled down to talk.

“Max, on the way over, you were talking about college …” I said.

Max grinned and put down his eggnog. “Yeah, I really think I’d like to come out here for school.”

Ma sat up a bit straighter. “Would you?”

“Yes, I would. Memorial University has a great-looking four-year course.” Max glanced at Don and me. “I guess I’d be an adult by then, and I could do what I like …”

I didn’t know what to say; I’d been staring at Don when Ma spoke.

“Well, you’ll be a real family by then, won’t you? I’m sure Louis and Don would support their son.”

Max turned to us. “What?”

I said, “Ma, we haven’t even ….”

Don called for silence. “Okay, enough. Everyone take a breath. I’ll explain everything.”

We all were quiet. Don sat forward, hands on his knees. “Max, we’ve only just been thinking—”

“I’m sorry. I talked to Miriam this morning, she said to me about you and Louis—” Ma looked upset.

“Doreen, it’s fine. Don’t worry.” Don continued, “Max, simply, Louis and I wanted to speak with you and see how you feel about us … well … adopting you.”

Max looked as if he were trapped.

I just could say nothing. This is not how I’d planned we’d bring up this topic, and not on such an emotional day.

“Max, there is zero pressure from any of us,” Don said. “It wouldn’t change much other than to give you a place to start some new roots. You’d belong somewhere, that’s all.”

Max was visibly upset. “I would just like a little time to think about all of this. I’m not saying no.”

My mother, who was distraught and in tears, ran from the room.

“Ma!” I sighed. I started after her, but Max interrupted.

“Let me, please, Louis.”

I stole a glance at Don, who nodded.

“Okay, Max … just a sec and I’ll move the table so you can get by.”

Max rolled himself out of the living room and down the hall. “Gran, it’s me. May I come in?”

He disappeared inside when the door opened.

I returned to the sofa and fell into Don’s arms. “Shit, Donny.”

“Mmm. Yeah. Not exactly what I was expecting today. Poor Max, talk about pressure.”

“My stomach dropped when he said he wanted to come here for school.”

“Yeah, I think of him as ours. We just got him, and now he’s thinking about leaving.”

“Well, we can’t force him to do anything, can we?”

“Nope, baby. We can’t. I hope everyone just calms down so we can just enjoy the day.”

Max and Ma were gone a good while. I basted the turkey twice and then paced.

Don finally said, “Lous, for heaven’s sake sit down or make me a drink.”

I made him another eggnog.

Returning to my seat beside him, I fiddled with a napkin. “What are they doing?”

“I don’t know, baby. Talking it out. They seem to get on very well.”

“They do, don’t they?”

Those words had only just left my lips when there were voices in the hall.

Max rolled back in, followed by Ma.

“Louis, Don, I’m so sorry for spilling the beans like I did. I didn’t—”

“Doreen, please. Don’t beat yourself up about it.” Don reached out to take her hand. “Let’s all just sit down and relax. It’s Christmas Day.”

Ma smiled at her son-in-law. “Thanks, b’y.”

I smiled at her, and then at our foster son. “You okay, Max?”

“Yes, I’m fine. Let’s just do like Don says and relax.”

There was noise at the front door just then. “Hello? Lord tunderin’ Jeasus, is dare a party goin’ awn in ‘ere or wha? Quiet as a tomb. Are we in da right place, b’y?”

Max laughed, followed by the rest of us, as Laura and Maureen came in and joined us. “Is dis a sewin’ circle or a Christmas Party? Put some music on!”

Needless to say, the rest of the afternoon and evening were filled with laughter, talk and good food.

 

At about midnight, Max said he was tired. Don did not look ready to leave, so I was going to take Max home by myself.

Ma stopped us. “There’s a spare room, if Max would like to sleep here.”

“Can I, Louis? Then you don’t have take me, and well, you and Don can have a bit of time alone.”

Max was a bright kid, and I think he wanted some alone time as well.

“Well, sure if you think you’ll be okay.”

“I will be. I have my transfer board, and I’d like to just go and lie down.”

Ma was smiling. I think she was looking forward to the next day when she’d have Max all to herself for a while. It was sweet how they liked each other so much.

So, we got Max settled. I think he was asleep in minutes.

 

After playing a few hands of Spit-in-the-Ocean, another couple of drinks and a turkey sandwich, we said goodnight.

I hugged and kissed my mum. She apologized again.

“Ma, please don’t worry. It will be okay. You get some rest. We’ll come up and see you for a turkey sandwich or two in the afternoon. But call me if you need me to come earlier or anything.”

We hugged and kissed her and left. All in all, it had been a good Christmas.

 

Outside, the night was clear. St. John’s was peaceful. Stars glittered above us as we started toward home. I pushed Don’s chair, while he held onto a stack of gifts. We didn’t talk much on the way back to our accommodation. Laughter and music spilled out of houses, and calls of Merry Christmas rang out now and again as people left to go on elsewhere.

 

I unlocked the door, and we went inside. I took the gifts and put them on the kitchen table. Don got out of his jacket. I hung up both.

Don was in the living room. He’d turned on the TV and was surfing.

“Do you want anything, babe?” I stood in the doorway which led to the kitchen.

“Maybe a glass of water, please, Lous.”

“Good idea.” I returned with one for each of us. I sat on the sofa.

“Thanks,” Don said. He sipped the clear cold fluid. “It was a nice Christmas. Lord, your aunt knows how to wake up a party!”

I laughed. “Yes, she is something else.”

“Well, she’s got perfect timing.” Don swallowed another mouthful of water. “I’m sorry Doreen was so upset. It was an honest error.”

“Yeah. I’m just worried about Max. But he seemed okay during the evening.”

“He did.” Don caught my eye. “Babe, don’t fret about this. Let Max have some time to think about things. Don’t push it.”

I nodded. Not pushing, not asking how he felt, would be hard for me. I fret, I worry, I push and usually end up regretting it. I swore to myself I wouldn’t; not this time.

 

After our water we went to bed. It felt good to lie down, and we kissed for a while but in the end just went to sleep.

Donny hugged me and said goodnight. “But … I will be waking you up sometime. No squealing.”

He snuggled into my back, and I giggled. “Mmmm, yes, Sir.”

 

We didn’t hear from Max or Ma, so I called them about 11am the next day.

“Hey, Ma, it’s me.”

“Who?”

Was she joking? “Me, Ma, your son. Your only child.”

“How d’ya know yer me only one, b’y? There may be a love child in me past.”

I think I rolled my eyes while I laughed. “Ma, you were with Pa since you were sixteen!”

“Aye, well, still, I ‘ad a couple o’good year before yer Pa!”

“Ma!”

“Oh, shocked are ya?”

She was laughing now. “I do love ya, Louis. You and Don come on over for a scoff, will ya?”

“Yes, we’ll be over shortly. I love you too, Ma.”

~~

The next few days were fun; we travelled a bit more, since the weather allowed it, but all too soon it was time to return home. We’d be back just before New Years Eve. We’d planned a get-together for dinner for all the family we’d missed seeing over Christmas.

At the airport, we said goodbye to everyone. My heart was a little heavy with leaving Ma. I’d been back to Newfoundland several times over the years, but this time, leaving The Rock was hard. This time it felt like I was leaving home.

The flight back was quiet and uneventful. Don had arranged to have the horses boarded until January 3rd. It would give us a small break. I’d miss them but I was grateful at the same time.

We arrived home on December 29th, in the morning. In the afternoon, Don had started the laundry. I’d made a list I needed to shop for that afternoon. Max said he’d like to come with me.

 

Around 2pm, I made a pot of tea and put out some Christmas Cake and old cheddar.

We all sat down together. We were quiet, but it was comfortable. That was until Max spoke.

“So, I … um … was looking at the perquisites for the Visual Arts Degree I want to take at Memorial University.”

Don looked up. “Oh, yeah?”

“Yeah, seems I’m on track to have all I need.”

“That’s good, Maxy. I’m glad you found something you want to take.”

I was listening and said, “We’ll miss you, when you go.”

It was stupid, but it felt like he was going already.

“I’ll miss you guys too.” Max reached for my arm and gave me a pat. “It’ll be okay though.”

It was a sweet gesture and I patted his arm. “Sure, of course it will be.”

“No … really. It will be okay because even if I’m away at school, well, I’ll be with you.”

Don and I glanced at each other.

“I mean, because by then you’ll be my dads, right?”

I gasped, and Don said, “Do you mean that? Are you sure, Maxy? It’s a big thing. But we’d love it.”

Max nodded. His gray eyes were serious as he said, “So would I ...you guys have been great, and well, I had a dream about my folks the other night. They said to grab on with both hands and to not let go. So, yeah, I mean it.”

I put my hand over my mouth, and even closing my eyes couldn’t hold back the joy that dripped from them.

 

 

~The End~

 

 

Epilogue

 

I finally redeemed my I.O.U. for my missed birthday trip after Max left for University. However, it wasn’t my birthday, it was our twentieth anniversary.

I sat on the hotel balcony in the early morning hours with a pot of coffee I’d ordered from room service. The morning sun was glorious.

Don was still in bed, and I had time to reflect on the last few years. While we all wanted his adoption, we didn’t move too quickly, but our adoption of Max was finalized a couple of years after he’d come to stay with us.

It was few months before this trip that Don had finished writing his book. It was with his editor at Red Ball Publications. I was happy for him. And lastly, Don had just bought a new Honda and started to drive again. He was very happy and enjoyed his returned freedom.

His opening the balcony door broke into my reverie, and returned me to the present.

“Ah, Lous, baby … life is good, isn’t it?”

I looked at my husband, older now, but still the same wonderful man I’d chosen to share my life with, and said, “Yeah, it is.”

He moved next to me and poured himself a cup of coffee. “Happy?”

I smiled at him and nodded. “Yes, perfectly.”

“I’m sorry this took so long, Lous. You deserved your gift a long time before now.” He pulled something from his pocket, and looked into my eyes for a long moment. “You know, I still see you as that teenager sitting on the wall outside the pub, nursing that Coke. And I remember the first time we were together. When you said it for the first time; I love you.”

He held up a hand when I opened my mouth. “No … let me finish. I am a demanding and pretty selfish guy, I know that. I have lived my life my way and dragged you with me. You have hung in there when others would have walked away. I want you to know that I love you, Lous. You are all I ever wanted.”

Don reached for my left hand. He touched my ring and smiled. “Remember shopping for these? We got the thinnest ones. They were all we could afford once upon a time.”

“I remember.”

“So, if I asked you again, and you knew nothing at all would be different, would you say yes again?”

I nodded. “Yes.”

He took my hand and slid a ring onto my finger. The slim band of white joined the gold one. “Happy anniversary, baby.”

He reached for me and I leaned forward to kiss him, his kisses still electric.

“I love you, Donny.”

“And I love you, Marie.”

I snorted. Don put his head back and laughed.

“You are such a shit, Don McPhee!”

“And you love every single minute of it.” Don swallowed his remaining coffee. “Now, Mr. Taylor, I think I would like the pleasure of your company in bed. I have a few things to show you.”

“Is that right?”

“Yeah, it is.” Don moved back inside the room.

I looked over the balcony, at my new ring, and I smiled.

Life hadn’t always been easy. It’s what we have and we can choose to live it or watch it go by. I know I’ve done both. Changes are part of life; we cannot protect ourselves from them.

Don’s voice interrupted my reverie. “Come on, Louis.”

“Okay, babe. On my way.”

“I got a hot salami here for ya.”

“Ya do?” I walked into the bedroom and quietly closed the door.

“Aye, b’y!”

My husband waited for me on the king-sized bed.

“Don! That is a whole Hungarian salami!”

“Yeah, what were you expecting? My dick?”

 

Our love and laughter continue. And no, I wouldn’t change a thing.

 

~~

Thanks to each of you who have read this story. I have loved the journey with you all. Thank you.

To my team @AC Benus, betas: @mollyhousemouse, @BHopper2 and @Backwoods Boy Thanks to each of you. You have help me make this story what it is.

We are saying goodbye to Don and Louis and their families here. I could write another book, and though i really care about these two it is time to let them go. Thank you for making them such cherished characters, for talking about them as if they are real. That means a lot. Thanks again to each of you.

tim xo
Copyright © 2019 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 56
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



While I’d love to read ‘another book,’ you are the author and I have to respect your decision.

;–)

 

It is good to see the three boys bonding with Doreen and Laura over the holidays, especially Max and his Gran.

 

As I was reading these chapters, I was reminded of Closet Monster, I guess because of the Newfoundland and Labrador setting and because Max and Closet Monster’s Oscar both go on to study art.

;–)

 

I’m glad that they were able to successfully create a real family. I will miss Louis, Don, and Max. But I’m glad we were all able to share in their struggles and triumphs!

;–)

 

Thank you, Tim!

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..