Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 3,211 Words
  • 10,595 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 1. Chapter 1

"Yes...yes" I said I would be there didn't I?” Chase countered through an exasperated sigh. He shifted gears of his Silver, two Seater, SL Roadster Mercedes , before adjusting the rearview mirror. He nodded seemingly interested as he listened to Scott go on and on about how insensitive to his feelings he's been lately.

Chase's mind drifted to their first meeting two years ago. He was attending a Christmas party hosted by one of his clients. Scott was catering the event, though Chase made it clear, and has maintained his stance that he wasn't interested in a long term, committed relationship he and Scott have been considered "friends with benefits, “ever since. Scott was older then Chase by a few years and he was much like the customers he served, polished, and a tab bit snobbish at times. Being a Sous Chef and owner of his own Catering Company, he catered only to the elite of Chicago. He and Chase were different as night and day, but what they had worked up until recently. Recently Scott has been pushing for more of a committment from his younger lover.

"Chase, are you there?” The slight irritation in Scott's tone pulled Chase from his thoughts.

"I'm here,"

"But are you listening to me?” Scott challenged.

"I...” Chase attempted to speak. Not knowing what he was going to say, he welcomed the interruption.

"You know Chase; there are a few men out there who would appreciate a man like me? I'm a great catch. I have a wonderful personality. Charming. Not to mention an amazing chef and I invite you to all the upper class functions which serves two purposes.” He paused purposely. Chase didn't have to see him to know he was smirking on the other end of the phone.

"And what’s that?” He asked, already knowing the answer.

"Not only do you get to eat good," He posed, "you also get to mingle with some of the who’s who of Chicago, which means major networking."

"This is true.” Chase agreed as he rolled his eyes knowing Scott couldn't see him. "I'll be there. Scouts honor."

"Whatever.” Scott sighed. "You were never a boy scout.” He chuckled in amusement.

"Touché..."

"I'll see you tonight.” Scott laughed dismissingly. Chase ended the call on his Bluetooth before glancing to his GPS.

He took the next exit, making his way through the crowded streets of downtown, his destination 'Star of Hope Mission' for women and children. After a few turns the female voice on his GPS announced his destination to his right. It had been a year since he’d been here, though he remembered the directions, he still used the GPS as he did whenever he traveled, probably out of habit, or as Scott teased ‘sheer laziness,’ He pulled up to the front of the modest red brick building and cut the engine. He pulled down the overhead visor looking into the mirror, tousling his fingers through his auburn tresses that he wore short and tapered on the sides. He sighed heavily at his reflection; his emerald green eyes indeed appeared as tired as he felt. He had stayed up the night before going over a case for the afternoon. This morning he would be offering his services "Pro Bono" for one week as he did every year. This was his way of giving back to the community. He grabbed his messenger bag, slinging it over his shoulder before he exited the vehicle.

He smiled as he made his way up the familiar sidewalk recognizing a few faces of the staff members from the previous year, giving a small wave with a slight nod as he opened the heavy door and stepped inside. Being here always made him feel good. He didn’t spend all those years in Law School for nothing, of course he wanted to make money, but he also loved helping those who honestly need representation from a good Attorney, but didn’t have the money or means to afford one. That’s where he came in.

He was greeted immediately by the well-acquainted smile of Darla Johnson. She wedged the phone between her ear and shoulder motioning with her finger that she would be with him shortly. He gave an understanding nod before taking a seat. He glanced around the lobby absorbing his surroundings. The place still looked the same, not much had changed since last year except for the new flat screen television mounted on the wall over head.

There were a few women milling about comfortably. To his right seated on the sofa was a woman with a baby blanket tossed over her shoulder and a small infant tucked safely underneath nursing as she watched ‘The Ellen show.’ It was usually quiet this time of morning except for the daycare and nursery that kept the children and babies while their mothers looked for work or a place to live.

"Mr. Montgomery...” Chase heard the gruffy voice to his left. He smiled as he recognized the older man walking toward him. He stood quickly adjusting his navy blue slacks, and smoothing out the wrinkles that had settled in his white starched button down shirt before extending his hand to greet him.

"Mr. Watson.” Chase acknowledged as they shook hands. "Good seeing you again.” He stated. "And please, call me Chase.” He insisted. Mr. Watson was a retired police officer who now volunteered his services at the shelter.

"Counselor...Looking like a million as usual.” He replied ignoring Chase’s request. “I can't believe it's been a year already.” He laughed looking up at the man that towered over him. Chase stood about 6'5 with a solid medium build. He didn't spend a lot of time in the gym but he did play racket ball twice a week and to relax he played golf with his friends.

"Yep. Times flies when you're having fun.” Chase replied as he stepped back dropping his hand down to his side as they engaged in conversations about what each had been into the past year. They were just finishing when Darla appeared.

"Chase....” She exclaimed with open arms. "Welcome back."

"It's good to see you Darla.” Chase laughed as he pulled the full figured woman into his embrace. "You're losing weight.” He stated more than asked with an approving nod.

"Hell no.” She giggled. "But it's sweet of you to lie.” She winked clasping her hands in front of her. Mr. Watson stepped back watching as the two associates fondly greeted each other.

"Well. I better get back to work.” He voiced. Chase released his hold on Darla and smiled toward the older man. "I’ll See you guys later." He waved causally before resting his hand on his revolver.

"We'll catch up.” Chase promised before the older man headed down the hall. His smiled broadened as he watched his acquaintance turn the corner. "So.” He turned his attention to Darla. "How's the week looking?” He asked as he adjusted the strap across his shoulder.

"If I'm not mistaken, I think it's about six divorce cases and three abuse.” She squinted, knitting her brows together reflectively. "Let's go to my office and get the files.” She suggested. Chase nodded motioning for her to lead the way.

She slowed down as they passed the large picture window that leads to the Nursery and daycare. “We’ve got a full house.” She stated, her voice soft, laced with mixed emotions. Chase forced a sorrowful smile giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. He understood her dilemma all too well, for him it was just a week out of his life every year, but for her it was every day. Darla Johnson was a forty something year old African American woman with a Doctorate Social Work Degree. She was the Founder of ‘Star of Hope Mission.’ It was her passion…Her life.

She fought long and hard to get the mission where it was. With the help of Government Funds, Charitable contributions and folks out there who cared, like Chase Montgomery, the Women’s Shelter was able to provide a safe haven for women in abusive relationships or who just needed help with the resources that they couldn't afford on their own. This was personal for her. It was the death of her older sister at the hands of her husband… an abuser, which motivated her to make this work.

“Well it looks like you have it all together.” Chase commented as he scanned the play area. And that she did. He noticed in one corner two little girls pretending to have a tea party. They were dressed like little women with their high heels, wearing big floppy hats and their necks were layered with beaded necklaces. To the left of them was a group of little boys playing the WII game laughing without a care in the world.

“Yeah…I guess you’re right.” She sighed. “It’s just hard sometimes.”

“I know…” Chase nodded. “But these women would be lost without you.”

“You think?” Darla questioned doubtingly chewing on her lower lip.

“I know they would.” He stated convincingly with a kind smile. They were about to turn and walk away, when an outburst of shrill giggles along with a few hollers and excited laughter captured his attention. “Now he’s a little too big to need a baby sitter, don’t you think?” Chase laughed jokingly as he adjusted the leather strap across his shoulder.

“Oh silly…” Darla giggled playfully swatting him across his arm. “That’s Kaleb, he works with the kids.”

“Kaleb?” Chase parroted with an arched brow. He stepped closer, gently resting his hand on the glass watching the scene play out before him. The kids sat in a circle playing the childhood game ‘Duck Duck Goose.’ Kaleb sat with his legs crossed “Indian” style anxiously rubbing his hands up and down his thighs clapping them playfully every time the little girl walked past him tapping him on the head. It was obvious he was enjoying the game just as much as his little friends. His smile was wide as he bounced with anticipation.

“Kaleb Fitzgerald.” Darla stressed Fitzgerald as she closed the space stepping up behind him.

The Fitzgerald?” Chase asked back over his shoulder, his curiosity piqued.

“The one and only.” She confirmed with a sly smile.

Chase tilted his head clearly intrigued, but not by the name alone. He could hear Darla speaking, though he couldn’t make out what she was saying, to him she sounded like the teacher from the ‘Peanuts’ “Wa Wa Wa”. Right now his mind was focused on the young man now chasing the little girl. She ran as fast as her little legs could carry her and it was clear Kaleb could have caught her if he wanted, but again he was having as much fun as she was. Chase rubbed his finger thoughtfully under his chin trying to remember when or if he’d ever seen anyone more gorgeous in his eyes.

Kaleb Fitzgerald, the son of Real estate Developer, Horace Fitzgerald appeared to be in his mid twenties. He stood about 5’8, with a lean yet muscular frame. His dark raven curly hair was tapered short on the sides and back with a full mane of flowing curls framing his pale blue eyes, full lips and boyish face.

“Wait…” He knitted his brows together in confusion. “Isn’t Horace at least eighty years old?” He questioned, “And he.” He nodded toward the young man that was now marching the group of youngsters around the room pretending to be a train. “Has to be in his early twenties, if that.”

“Exactly. Kaleb was their “Oops” baby.” She said using air quotes. “I hear it surprised even them.” Darla chuckled quietly.

“Umhum.” Chase nodded; his attention still focused on the subject of their conversation.

“The kids love him to death.” She stated with fondness in her tone.

“It appears so. He’s having just as much fun as they are.” Chase noticed.

“Yeah.” She agreed. “It’s my understanding there were some problems when he was born, not to mention the fact that his parents were old as dirt.” She laughed, causing Chase to chuckle quietly. “ There were some chromosome issues that caused some sort of birth defect. They are pretty tight lipped about it though.” She explained.

“Autism?” Chase guessed.

“Don’t think so.” She shrugged. “I mean look at him. He plays well with them. He loves them as much as they love him. See how he lets them climb all over him.”

“I see…”

“Just a case of mild retardation I figure.” She added. Chase nodded understandingly as he watched Kaleb playing with the kids as if he was a kid himself. He wondered why he found him so intriguing. Why he couldn’t turn away. “The funny thing is, he’s a gifted artist.” Darla stated impressively.

“Really?”

“Yeah…” She smiled placing her hand on his shoulder. “We better get started.” She suggested before slowly walking off.

“Um…Yeah.” Chase sighed turning to follow her. He glanced back over his shoulder hoping to steal one last glance and his heart stopped mid beat. He stood motionless, their gazes locked; piercing ice blue eyes pooling emerald ones. He willed himself to breathe inhaling slow and deep. Chase wasn’t sure of it, but he thought Kaleb smiled at him.

“Attorney Montgomery?” Darla called teasingly. Chase nodded over his shoulder as he came out of his haze before turning his attention back to the window void of Kaleb’s presence. A frustrated sigh escaped his lips as he hurriedly walked to catch up with Darla.

~*~*~

“Okay, Connie. Do you have any questions for me?” Chase asked, his voice calm and soothing as he closed the folder marked Constance Williams.

“No sir.” She replied faintly, blinking back the tears that threatened to fall. Chase stifled a sigh and slid the folder to the side. He glanced at the seventeen year old young girl sensing her nervousness. He pushed himself up from behind his desk, slowly making his way toward her hearing her muffled cries as she buried her face in the palm her hands.

“It’s going to be fine.” Chase placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder in an effort to comfort her. He sighed inwardly knowing they had a long road ahead of them if she didn’t change her mind. He’d seen it happen before, different name of course, but the situation was the same. Young, pregnant, lives with the baby’s daddy who uses her as a punching bag whenever he’s had too much to drink. All it took was a few “I’m sorrys,… I’ll do better”, and off they went back into the same situation all over again, this time feeling too embarrassed to ask for help again.

“Thank you…” She managed to say through a sniffle.

“You’re welcome.” Chase smiled handing her a few Kleenex, before walking back to his seat. “Now from here on out you will be dealing with my office directly.” He stated as he handed her one of his cards.

“Okay…”

“Mrs. Johnson will be here to help, but anything of a legal nature, you contact me or my assistant.”

“Okay…” She repeated. She took a deep breath before standing to her feet. Chase mimicked her movements, moving swiftly around the desk. He placed his hand on her shoulder escorting her to the door.

“We’ll be in touch.” He assured her. She nodded forcing a smile, clutching his card tightly in her fist before walking out. Chase pulled out his cell phone and checked the time.

The morning went pretty smoothly, but it was now time for him to get back to the office and start his afternoon meeting with paying clients.

~*~*~

“See you tomorrow.” Darla said as Chase exited her office.

“Sure thing. You want this opened or closed?” He asked nodding to the door.

“You can leave it open.” Darla smiled. Chase gave her one final wave before heading out. He instinctively slowed down as he walked past the window feeling his heartbeat speed up for no apparent reason. He released the breath he didn’t realize he was holding, disappointedly. The lights in the daycare were off and all the children that were once running around full of life were lying on their cots taking their afternoon nap. To his dismay Kaleb was nowhere around . There was a petite woman sitting in the corner reading a book, keeping an eye on the little tots.

Chase stood there looking at nothing in particular. “What is it about him?” He wondered. Here this man, whom he only laid eyes on this morning, was consuming his very thoughts and they hadn’t even spoken a word to each other. He chided himself on even thinking about him in such a manner. Not only was he probably not gay but according to Darla he had other issues as well. He sighed as he made his way to the door thinking all that aside, he still had to be the most gorgeous man he’d seen.

He tripped over his own feet when he saw him. “Get it together Montgomery…get it together.” He willed himself. He stopped in his tracks admiring him, this time there was no glass between them. There wasn’t any kids running around demanding his time… this time it was just him. Kaleb sat on the concrete slap outside the shelter unaware he had a captive audience.

The afternoon sun shining down on Kaleb made him appear angelic in Chase’s eyes. He had everything arranged perfectly on top of a white cloth napkin. To his left was a carton of milk, partnered with a zip locked baggie filled with green apple slices. Directly in front of him was half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the other half he held to his mouth moaning appreciatively while taking a bite. His legs were swinging casually over the concrete block while his body swayed to the music feeding in through his iPod buds in his ears; enjoying his lunch, blissfully unaware of the pair of eyes that were watching him studiously.

Chase debated on whether or not to say something, anything. Hello perhaps. He sighed exasperatedly before deciding against it. He didn’t understand it. He was never nervous about a guy before, so why now? He adjusted the strap of his messenger bag tightly across his shoulder making his way down the sidewalk. He didn’t dare look back for fear of meeting Kaleb’s gaze again. He got in his car shaking his head as he buckled his seatbelt. It was safe to look at him now because he felt safe. Kaleb’s stare couldn’t possibly affect him the way it did earlier. He sighed rubbing his temples trying to release the pressure building inside. He started the engine, pressing the clutch while shifting to first gear. He slowly drove off watching him. Wondering what he was listening to. He hadn’t dealt with many people with mental disabilities …He wondered what Kaleb was thinking as he sat there happily eating his peanut butter and jelly…Was he capable of being in a relationship? Did it matter? Had a girl ever kissed him? Did he even like girls? What did he do for fun? All these thoughts invaded his mind. But why…why did he even care…..

TBC...Comments fuel the writers soul... :)
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

this was a great beginning to what i am sure will be a great story. I really like the concept and the idea. Scott seems like the right amount of full of himself yet he has a right to be lol. and Chase, i really like him already. and then there is Kaleb. great foundation chapter letting us meet the characters and get a brief look into who they are. can't wait to see where this goes

Link to comment

Oh WOW I love this, Chase sounds a cool dude and Kaleb is intriguing, the one I enjoyed most was Darla. I wish she had been around when I was a kid. straight on to the next chappy. Great work :2thumbs::hug:

Link to comment
On 08/19/2011 04:35 PM, Mark92 said:
Oh WOW I love this, Chase sounds a cool dude and Kaleb is intriguing, the one I enjoyed most was Darla. I wish she had been around when I was a kid. straight on to the next chappy. Great work :2thumbs::hug:
Awww.... ;) thank you Mark, I'm hoping you continue to enjoy my lil ole story. I actually love Chase, he is cool and as we learn about Kaleb I think you will like him too...
Link to comment
On 08/15/2011 04:11 AM, Jammi said:
this was a great beginning to what i am sure will be a great story. I really like the concept and the idea. Scott seems like the right amount of full of himself yet he has a right to be lol. and Chase, i really like him already. and then there is Kaleb. great foundation chapter letting us meet the characters and get a brief look into who they are. can't wait to see where this goes
Thank you girl, I appricate ya, but you know that already... hehehe
Link to comment

Very nice first chapter. What an interesting set of characters. I am warming to Chase already and Kaleb sounds like a sweetie

Link to comment
On 09/03/2011 05:53 AM, Nephylim said:
Very nice first chapter. What an interesting set of characters. I am warming to Chase already and Kaleb sounds like a sweetie
OMG....you're reading it...faints...lol thank you...I hope not to disapoint...Chase and Kaleb are very interesting to say the least..opposites attrack is what they say... :)
Link to comment

Such a great first chapter. I can't wait to find out what is behind Chase's attraction and how the situation with Scott is going to unfold. :)

Link to comment
On 09/26/2011 08:34 AM, intune said:
Such a great first chapter. I can't wait to find out what is behind Chase's attraction and how the situation with Scott is going to unfold. :)
Thanks so much intune... I'm not sure if Chase himself knows at this point. He really is seaching for the answers so it will be a journey that's for sure. And the situation with Scott will unfold but how. I hope you enjoy the ride and continue to read. Again thanks,

 

Kim

Link to comment

Hi :) finally i started to read your story! i'm going to leave a comment after every chapter. so i'm sure the review will just describe what i think after a chapter without knowing what will come next :). this was a great first chapter. and again it looks like i'm in a movie. i always love your ability to describe characters and surroundings. so it's easy to get up a picture in my head. so i see a Chase, driving in a two seater Mercedes :) talking to an over self confident Scott, talking about to mingle with some of the who is who from Chicago. and than , quit contrarian to this, you introduced Darla, that i dearly love already, and this place, that honestly helps people who are in dire need of a safe place or help from a bona fide Attorney. and finally you intoduced me to Kaleb, who still is a little mysterious.. ok, he is great with kids, has ""old "" parents, but other than that you didn't give much away about his disability...so yes, why did Chase even cares?? hmmm.. i had to laugh a little about the fact, that in the beginning you described Scott and Chase as different as night and day... but it looks like Chase and Kaleb are different too... so i'm excited to read the next chapter !! thanks, as always <3

Link to comment
On 10/03/2011 05:17 AM, asonearth said:
Hi :) finally i started to read your story! i'm going to leave a comment after every chapter. so i'm sure the review will just describe what i think after a chapter without knowing what will come next :). this was a great first chapter. and again it looks like i'm in a movie. i always love your ability to describe characters and surroundings. so it's easy to get up a picture in my head. so i see a Chase, driving in a two seater Mercedes :) talking to an over self confident Scott, talking about to mingle with some of the who is who from Chicago. and than , quit contrarian to this, you introduced Darla, that i dearly love already, and this place, that honestly helps people who are in dire need of a safe place or help from a bona fide Attorney. and finally you intoduced me to Kaleb, who still is a little mysterious.. ok, he is great with kids, has ""old "" parents, but other than that you didn't give much away about his disability...so yes, why did Chase even cares?? hmmm.. i had to laugh a little about the fact, that in the beginning you described Scott and Chase as different as night and day... but it looks like Chase and Kaleb are different too... so i'm excited to read the next chapter !! thanks, as always <3
Nettie Poo...feels like home... :) Welcome I've missed you. Glad you like the first chapter...take your time and read...Another Sunday morning I hope. Scott is over confident and Chase is just being Chase...Keep your eyes on Kaleb you will learn about him as Chase does. He's different yes, but pure and honest so we shell see... Squeezeeeeeeee....lol
Link to comment
On 12/01/2011 02:27 AM, cogito_ergo_sum1666 said:
Nice start, just finished reading School daze!
Thanks so much for reading School Daze, I hope you enjoy Shades of Gray.... I'm having a blast writing it. Let me know what you think.. :D :D

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 02:47 AM, Frostina said:
WOWie! :D

 

you've got yourself a groupie! :P (jussayin')

cant wait to find out more!!

Wow....I'm seriously doing the happy dance... thank you...I have to tell you, Kaleb will still your heart. And what's so cool is his character is depicted from a guy that works at the hospital with me with the same name. I found myself staring at him during lunch and was intreiged by him. he has disabilites too, but not sure what..anyway a story was born... :D

 

You got my head all big, Frostina...

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 04/30/2012 02:54 AM, pfox25 said:
off to a good start and going to continue reading immediately. =)
:D :D Hope you like it!!! let me know. Merci!
Link to comment

I've read this story a while ago before I joined and was still lurking...I enjoyed it so I wanted to retread and properly comment to show my appreciation. Nice start to what will be quite a compelling story. Thanks.

 

PS I love GPS regardless of where I am.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..