Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 6,736 Words
  • 6,385 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 21. Chapter 21...If We Just Believe...The Best Aways Comes

The last chapter of the Shades of Gray...I hope you enjoy.

“Lilly…stop it.” Kaleb whined exasperatedly, as he reached behind the driver’s seat to pick up the baby’s shoe. Shrill giggles and playful laughter erupted as she kicked her little legs excitedly.

“Hold still, Lilly…” He fought with the little tyke as she wiggled her leg from his grasp. This was a game to her. She’d kick off her shoe. Kaleb would put it back on, and she would kick it off again. The exhausted pleas and frustrated grunts were amusing her.

“Exactly. That was my thought as well.” Chase replied as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel. “You don’t say.” He laughed cordially.

“Lil…Lilly.” Kaleb chided while forcing her shoe back on. “There...” he breathed a sight of relief. He combed his fingers through his hair feeling proud of himself before turning back around in his seat. He smiled over at Chase, who was conducting a conference call on his Bluetooth, seemingly unfazed by the chaos going on behind him.

He had just settled back into his seat when he heard a light ‘thump’ hit the back of it. He turned around to see the little girl missing her shoe. She squealed playfully at the crestfallen expression on Kaleb’s face. She stuffed her tiny fist into her mouth and wiggled her toes playfully.

“Lilly…” Kaleb cried. As he reached for the release on his seatbelt, he felt a firm hand on his arm. Chase shook his head no, as he continued speaking into his Bluetooth. Kaleb frowned through a sideways glance as Chase mouthed, ‘Keep them off.’ He squinted, focusing on Chase’s lips. “Ohhh…” He nodded using his hand to muffle his giggles before looking back at Lilly.

“Ah.” She squeaked, blowing raspberries; while bouncing in her car seat, kicking her shoeless foot in the air.

“No..no, Lilly. Chase said you have to keep it off.” He pouted teasingly even as he reached for her pacifier. “Here you go.” He smiled as he offered it to her. She pouted and reluctantly sucked the ‘binky’ into her mouth, crossing her legs together at the ankles before resting back in the seat. It wasn’t long before her attention was diverted to a new game; playing with her stocking clad toes.

“It’s actually not a problem at all.” Kaleb heard Chase say, as he settled down in his seat.

“Are you almost finished?” He whispered annunciating each word. Chase smiled with a short nod before ending the telephone interview.

Chase never turned down a perspective client unless he was sure he couldn’t help them. With that being said, his client load was steadily increasing, he was thinking about allowing a Paralegal to intern with him, so he started the interviewing process; he wanted to have a decision made before the New Year.

“Yes…” Chase laughed politely. “I’ll be getting back with you soon. Enjoy your Holidays.” He smiled as he ended the call. “Sorry about that.” He apologized as he pulled the device from his ear.

“It’s okay, but are you done?” Kaleb questioned as he reached for Chase’s hand.

“I am.” He promised, hearing the frustration in Kaleb’s voice even as he brought his hand to his lips placing a tender kiss on the back of it.

“And you…” He grinned over his shoulder at Lilly, playfully chastising her. “You’ve got to be a good girl for daddy, okay.” Lilly kicked her feet excitedly, grinning from behind her pacifier at the sound of Chase’s deep voice. He laughed amusingly; he always got that response when he talked to her.

Lilly had been with Kaleb and Chase for at least two weeks and aside from waking up in the wee hours for a late bottle, she was adjusting well. Chase on the other hand… not so much. He found himself dragging through the day and asleep by nine every night.

Today was their first “official” outing. They had just left the portrait studio, where they had their pictures taken with Santa Clause, and tonight they would decorate their first Christmas tree together. Thanksgiving dinner would be a first as well. Kaleb and Chase were hosting at Kaleb’s loft.

“I’m really excited about tomorrow.” Kaleb announced through a wide smile. “It’s going to be our first Thanksgiving in my new place.”

“It’s going to be nice.” Chase replied, taking his eyes off the road for a brief moment. “Thanks for inviting my family. I really appreciate it.”

“Duh…” Kaleb rolled his eyes feigning irritation. “We’re partners, remember? We share families now.”

“Really?” Chase laughed. “Does that mean I get Helen as a part of the deal?” He frowned jokingly.

“Yes…” Kaleb tilted his head slightly.

“Damn…I knew you were going to say that.” He chuckled, receiving a swat on the shoulder from Kaleb. “Ouch!”

“She’s not that bad.” He stated, in defense of his mother.

“Right…” Chase replied dryly in an undertone, while keeping his eyes fixed on the road.

“She’s not.” Kaleb laughed, alerting Chase he’d heard him. “She’ll soften up. It’s just a part of who she is.” He explained.

Chase sighed, “Whatever you say, Baby.” He knew he’d made the right decision. He would never tell Kaleb what his mother tried to do, he wasn’t sure he could handle it.

The rest of the way home they laughed and spoke excitedly about what they would get Lilly and each other for Christmas, which lead to them discussing their favorite Christmas carols and hip hop versions.

“Oh my god, I love that song.” Kaleb laughed. Most people don’t know it’s Paul McCartney’s, “Wonderful Christmas Time.”

“Yeah, well the Beatles are my favorite…still.” Chase replied. “What about you?”

“Ummm….” Kaleb scratched behind his ear thoughtfully. “I have so many; I don’t think I can pick just one.” He admitted honestly. “But if I had to pick one of my favorite classics, it would be, ‘The Little Drummer Boy’.” He smiled reflectively.

“That’s a nice one. The Temptations do a nice rendition of it.” Chase added as he pulled Kaleb’s car into the parking space assigned to him.

“Lilly….” Kaleb sang happily, We’re home.” Lilly had fallen asleep with her pacifier still in her mouth. “Awww…Look at her Chase.” Kaleb nudged his shoulder with his own.

“She is a cutie…” He admitted as he pulled the key from the ignition. “You get her and I’ll get the bags.”

“I can take at least one.” Kaleb informed him as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

“As you wish…” Chase laughed.

~*~*~

‘Have yourself a merry little Christmas, let your heart be light…from now on your troubles will be out of sight…’

Frank Sinatra’s voice serenaded Chase as he finished putting the lights on the tree. He stepped back, tilted his head from one side, then the other making sure he had covered every branch. Smiling approvingly, he reached for his glass of brandy and took a sip, feeling quite proud of himself. His smile widened as he heard Kaleb coming down the hall.

“She’s finally asleep.” Kaleb smiled as he entered the room. He clasped his hands together in awe as he slowly glanced up at the tree.

“Well…what do you think?” Chase motioned toward the tree now covered in lights.

“We have to turn the lights on…” Kaleb reminded him.

“I know that….” Chase laughed bringing the glass to his lips. “I mean, what do you think?” He swallowed hard.

“And I said we have to turn on the lights so I can see…” Kaleb stressed again.

“Okay…Okay.” Chase chuckled as he sat his glass down. “You want to do the honors?” He asked as he handed him the end of the cord.

“Can I…?” Kaleb squealed with delight while clapping his hands together excitedly.

“Yes…” Chase stepped back allowing him access to the outlet.

“This is so exciting.” Kaleb vowed through a cheeky grin. Chase pressed his lips together and smiled contently. This truly was like watching a child at Christmas. Kaleb got down on the floor and crawled under the branches. He was just about to plug the cord into the socket when…

“WAIT!” He exclaimed. “I’ve got to get Lilly!” He scurried backwards until his head popped from under the tree.

“But we just put her to….”

“She’s got to see it.” Kaleb’s voice trailed off as he hurried down the hall.

“Bed…” Chase chuckled in amusement. He sighed shaking his head as he reached for his brandy. It wasn’t long before Kaleb returned with a sleepy Lilly in his arms. She yawned, her lips forming a tiny ‘o’ as she used her little fist to wipe her tired eyes.

“Okay…” Kaleb said handing her over.

“Come here, Princess.” Chase took the little girl into his arms, turning her around so she could see the tree. Her eyes glanced about as she rested her little back against Chase’s chest.

“You ready?” Kaleb called from under the tree.

“Ready!” Chase sang merrily, while bouncing a tired Lilly in his arms.

“One…two….”

Chase held his breath waiting anxiously and Lilly looked around for Kaleb’s voice as he scooted from under the tree to join them. It was a magical experience indeed, as the first bulb sparked on, one by one, chasing each other up the tree and through the branches, bringing it to life.

Lilly sprang forward; all traces of sleep had vanished. Her eyes wide and bright with her little mouth agape, as she tried to process all the bright colors flickering off and on. Finally, she squealed with delight as she reached for lights only to grab a fist full of air.

“Yayyyy….” Kaleb laughed boisterously, clapping his hands, while bouncing on the balls of his toes. It was truly a remarkable sight. The nine-foot tree was spectacular as all three marveled at how beautiful it was.

Chase put Lilly down on the floor and stepped back pulling Kaleb into his arms. He rested his head against Chase’s shoulder and smiled. Lilly sat in her pink onesie pajamas, rocking back and forth, almost bouncing. She glanced back over her shoulder with a wide toothless grin, her big brown eyes sparkling as they glanced between the two men, each receiving their own personal smile, before turning her attention back on the tree. She spat out her pacifier replacing it with her fingers. She sat for a moment before she decided to venture over and get a closer look.

“I’ve got to get a picture of this.” Kaleb leaned over and whispered as she cautiously crawled toward the tree, “Give me your phone. Mine is in the bedroom.” Chase eagerly replied fishing his phone from his pocket in order to catch the “Kodak” moment. He smiled and kissed Kaleb on the top of the head. As he watched the scene playing out before him, he wasn’t sure who was enjoying the experience more, Kaleb, Lilly or him.

~*~*~

Chase padded down the hall with the scent of what he wished was hot, strong, coffee trying to tickle his nose. He smiled contently as he combed his fingers through his hair. ‘Kaleb was his and he loved him,’ he chuckled to himself. As he approached Lilly’s room, he stuck his head in, only to find her crib empty. He continued his journey to the kitchen, stopping to admire their tree. Kaleb had turned the lights on this morning and it looked even more beautiful after they had finished putting on all the trimmings. As he stood there admiring his handy work, his mind drifted and he couldn’t remember a time when he felt this good.

He’d finally met his special someone. Being with Kaleb felt as natural to him as breathing. Carter called it work… but it was that “work”… those “differences,” that in his opinion made Kaleb perfect.

As he got closer to the kitchen his smile widened upon hearing Kaleb happily singing off key…of course, with Lilly’s high-pitched baby squeals providing the background vocals. He laughed as he listened intently, but couldn’t quite make out what he was singing, not that it mattered, the important thing was Kaleb was happy.

He stepped inside the kitchen and glanced around, his happy expression slowly dissolving into one of confusion. He took a deep breath, scratching his head.

“Ummm…Kaleb?” Chase mouthed slowly, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. “What’s going on?”

“Hey, Chase…” Kaleb sang out as he shoved his hand deeper inside the turkey. “I’ve made your coffee…just like you like it.” He grunted, using the back of his hand to remove the hair from his eyes while reaching in the bowl beside the turkey with the other one, grabbing another handful of something, Chase wasn’t sure what.

His eyes scanned the counter that was littered with egg shells, onion peels, half cut stalks of celery and caps of green and red peppers before resting on the mounds of dishes erupting from the sink.

“Ah haaaa…” Lilly’s jovial voice captured his attention.

“Oh my god…” He sighed breathlessly as he placed his hand on his waist. Lilly squealed excitedly and smacked her cheek, her hand smearing the mess over her face as she drooled over her tiny fingers. She offered him some of the brown, sticky substance, which he gathered was chocolate syrup judging by the knocked over ‘Hersey’s can and tiny smeared hand prints beside her bouncer. It appeared most of the chocolaty treat was either on her face and clothes or matted in her soft brown curls, either way she was in chocolate heaven.

“Can you hand me that spoon?” Kaleb’s voice pulled Chase from his dazed stupor.

“Huh?”

“A spoon.” He nodded toward the counter covered with various utensils scattered about, as he continued his fight with the turkey.

“Um yeah, sure.” He squinted through a confused gaze. “Um, Kaleb, I thought Hannah was coming over this morning to do this.” He stated as he fished out a spoon from the pile.

“I told her we didn’t need her.” Kaleb answered nonchalantly as he reached for the turkey. He was about to place it in the roasting pan when it slipped through his fingers.

Whoa! Wooo...Whoa!” Both he and Chase yelled, each of them reaching for the turkey. Whatever was stuffed inside went flying out all over them. Chase dropped the spoon and took a swan dive, hitting the floor with a ‘thud ’ and a grunted “Umphff!” The turkey landing in his hands as he slid across the floor.

Wahaaaa….” Lilly giggled kicking her chunky little legs excitedly. She tried to lean forward in her bouncer to get a better look, but Kaleb had her tightly secured. Her giggles faded to a soft coo before stuffing her chocolate covered fingers in her mouth, sucking on them contently.

“Slippery little bugger.” Kaleb chuckled even as he took the bird from Chase’s hand. “You think I buttered it too much?” He asked to no one in particular as he set the turkey into the roasting dish.

“You think?” Chase retorted sarcastically, resting on his elbows while trying to catch his breath. He watched as Kaleb reached into the bowl shoving more stuff inside the turkey. “What is that?” He frowned turning up his nose.

“It’s homemade dressing, Silly....” He sighed as if it was obvious.

Da-da-da-da…” Lilly cooed merrily as she reached over her bouncer for more chocolate. Chase shook his head as he hoisted himself from the floor.

“Kaleb, Baby, you do know we are expecting our guests…including your parents, in less than five hours, don’t you?” He asked while reaching for a paper towel.

“Yes…yes.” Kaleb replied even as he pulled out a long sheet of aluminum foil.

“I mean….” Chase paused seeking out the right words, as he ran the towel under warm water. “I can’t cook. I can’t even boil water.” He admitted even as he reached for Lilly’s little hands to clean them. “So I can’t help you at all.” He smiled down at the baby while gently cleaning her face and hair. He sniffed and sniffed knitting his brows together looking back over his shoulder. “Smells like something is burning.”

“Poopy fart!…” Kaleb’s voice rang out in a panic, as he hurried over to the oven. Chase unstrapped Lilly from her seat, pulling her into his arms.

“What is it?” He asked as he cradled her against his hip.

“The cake!”

“Really?” He frowned as he peered over Kaleb’s shoulder. “It doesn’t smell like cake.”

“Well it is…see.” He turned around holding it up for Chase to get a closer look. The cake was smoking and burned around the edges.

“Ewww…” Chase leaned back turning up his nose. Kaleb turned the pan around to the left then to the right examining it closely.

“You think it will taste okay if I cover it with the chocolate syrup?” He asked quizzically.

Ummm…” Chase nodded to the turned over can on the counter, pressing his lips together in a tight line, before tilting his head toward Lilly who still had residue of chocolate in her hair.

“Lilly!?” Kaleb whined, pouting at the little tot. Lilly giggled bashfully as if she understood her reprimand before burying her face against Chase’s chest. “Chase?!” He pleaded.

“Don’t look at me…” He laughed shrugging his shoulders in defense.

“What am I going to do now?” Kaleb pouted as he dropped the cake on the counter. He shrieked cupping his hand over his mouth as he watched the middle cave in. He covered his eyes and started to cry.

“Baby…” Chase hurried to put Lilly back in her bouncer. “Don’t cry.” He said over his shoulder as he secured the baby in her seat. “Come here…” He sighed pulling Kaleb into his arms. “Shhhhh….It’s okay, Baby.” He whispered faintly as he ran soothing circles over Kaleb’s back.

“It’s not okay.” He choked through his tears as he buried his face against Chase’s chest. “All I wanted to do was make a wonderful dinner for my family and I can’t even do that right.” He sniffed.

“Baby, come on. You know as well as I do, we don’t cook. And it’s no big deal, that’s what restaurants are for.” He chuckled trying to lighten the situation.

“But Lilly can’t live off restaurant food all her life, and neither can we.” He pointed out.

“Come on, Kaleb, it’s not that deep, Baby. Besides I didn’t fall in love with you because of your Culinary Skills, I fell in love with you because of your...”

“I know….” Kaleb interrupted, as he lifted his head peering up into Chase’s expressive green eyes. “Because of my “beautiful mind.” He smiled sadly. Chase returned his smile with a soft warm one.

“Yes…” He stated emphatically as he looked lovingly into Kaleb’s pale blue eyes that were red and puffy from crying. “Promise me you’ll always remember that.” Chase entreated taking Kaleb’s face into the palms of his hands.

“I promise…” Kaleb smiled through a forlorn glance.

“I love you, for you, nothing more.” Chase stated simply before stealing a quick kiss.

“Ah…” Lilly called out getting their attention. “Da…” She grinned showing them her sticky fingers. Kaleb wrapped his arm around Chase’s waist as they fell into boisterous laughter together.

“Why don’t you go clean her up and I’ll make her a bottle and start working on this.” Chase suggested as he pulled himself from Kaleb’s hold.

“What about dinner?” He frowned.

“We’ll figure it out… I promise.” Chase smiled shooing him out of the kitchen.

“Come on Lilly…” Kaleb cooed as he picked her up. “We have to get you cleaned up so I can help Chase with this mess.”

Chase laughed as he watched them leave. He shook his head as he glanced around the kitchen. He was going to need help if he was going to pull this off. He exited the kitchen in search of his cell phone.

 ~*~*~

Hours later, they were welcoming their guest. Elizabeth and John were in from Indianapolis to celebrate the holidays. They were staying with Carter at Chase’s condo, since he’d been spending his evenings with Kaleb and Lilly at Kaleb’s place. After receiving Chase’s distress call, Carter and John ran to the store getting Liz all the ingredients she needed for her famous Macaroni and cheese, and with skills like their mother, she was able to doctor up several cans of yams.

Adam and Jenny arrived bringing with them a green bean casserole and fresh green mixed salad, while Horace and Helen brought the cakes and pies that Hannah had made the night before. Chase of course called in a favor from his local butcher who at the last minute threw something together for them. He explained there wasn’t time to roast a turkey, but he had a backup plan.

~*~*~

The ambiance in the apartment was warm and inviting and Chase couldn’t be happier. He eased into the kitchen to get more beer for the guys, a contented smile crossing his lips as he glanced into the dining room. The women were sitting around after dinner talking and drinking wine. Liz and Jenny hit it off perfectly and had a lot in common; they spent most of dinner chatting amongst themselves.

Dinner…dinner was perfect, and the fried turkey was a hit. Speaking of hits, Lilly would take first place in that department, making her debut. Chase smiled as he reached in the refrigerator pulling out four long necked bottles, noticing Lilly sitting on Helen’s lap, with the women like a big girl. She was drooling over Helen’s fine pearls, as she used them to scratch her itchy gums. She was sitting there as if she was enjoying the conversations as well.

Chase shook his head thoughtfully as he used his foot to close the refrigerator door. It amazed him how quickly Helen took to Lilly. He had to wonder if she genuinely felt a connection to the little girl, which wouldn’t surprise him. He himself felt a strong bond with her in such a short amount of time, but he had to question if hers was due to any guilt she may have been feeling. If she had her way, Lilly wouldn’t be here.

Kaleb was indeed a proud papa, graciously receiving all the compliments on how adorable she was and how cute he’d dressed her, in her argyle tights and her pint-sized sweater dress, down to the matching velcro bow she wore in her hair and little Uggs. ‘She was a Diva in training’, Chase teased proudly as well. Liz ended up taking off the Uggs saying it was too hot to wear them in the house.

When Chase told Kaleb that Lilly would end up where she was meant to be, he was right. They say, “there’s no love like a mother’s love.” That being true, then Lilly was indeed fortunate because Kaleb’s love would be a close second.

“Chase, Man! What are you doing? Making the beer!? Adam yelled from the living room where the men were watching football.

“Yeah, Bro, what are you doing? Growing your own hops?” Carter added teasingly. “I’m spitting out cotton here!”

“Coming!” Chase laughed as he gathered the beers in his arm, grabbing a bag of chips off the counter before heading out.

~*~*~

The evening was ending and Chase had to admit things turned out better than he’d hoped. A warm smiled graced his lips as he glanced around the room. Horace and Adam were playing on the sofa with Lilly. It appeared she’d created her own little game, crawling back and forth between the two of them. If she crawled too close to the edge, one of them would catch her in his arm and right her on the cushion before she continued her pursuit. Helen had taken a chair by the tree, casually sipping on a warm glass of brandy while flipping through a ‘Black Friday’ sales ad. John was still snacking, and watching football, waiting for his buddy Carter to return. His sister and Jenny were in the kitchen helping Kaleb tidy up and making plates for everyone to take home. The only one missing from the bunch was his dad. He sighed reflectively, combing his fingers through his hair. He missed him greatly.

“Hey guys…” Kaleb’s voice drew him from his reverie. “Last call for pie.” He announced holding up an aluminum pan and a tub of cool whip.

"Da!" Lilly's little head darted up quickly upon hearing Kaleb’s voice. She bounced excitedly in Horace's arms trying to get his attention. Kaleb smiled, wiggling his finger at her, receiving a wide toothless grin before he turned his attention back to the adults.

“Cool…” Carter rubbed his hands together briskly as he made his way from the restroom. “I’ll take a slice of pecan, with some of that whipped cream on top.”

“I’m sorry.” Kaleb frowned. “We only have one slice left and that’s for Chase. It’s his favorite.” He pouted teasingly.

“Why does he get the last slice?” Carter challenged.

“Because he’s Chase.” Kaleb stated simply. Chase pressed his lips together in a tight smile, winking at Carter mischievously. He sat back in his chair, crossing his legs, sucking his teeth smugly, while lacing his fingers behind his head.

“Whatever, Dude.” Carter waved off dismissively.

“We have plenty pumpkin and apple.” Kaleb informed him politely.

"But I don't like pumpkin."

"I'm sorry...those are your choices." Kaleb informed him with a slight shrug of the shoulder. He smiled at his boyfriend before turning sharply on his heel and sauntering back into the kitchen. Carter sighed rolling his eyes before following behind him. Chase and Adam shared a hearty laugh at Carter's expense before Chase relaxed back into his chair, focusing on the game.

~*~*

“Thank you so much for coming.” Chase said as he helped Liz into her coat.

“And thanks for coming to the rescue.” Kaleb added shyly as he shifted Lilly in his arm.

“No problem.” She swatted dismissively. “Chase knows I love to cook. I’ve actually cooked Thanksgiving dinners at my home. It made me feel useful.” She admitted honestly through a warm smile.

Yes, Man, thanks for the use of your place. It definitely saved us a lot of money and with me getting laid off…” John sighed.

“Now, you know I wasn’t going to let you stay in a hotel, laid off or not. Mi casa su casa.” Chase replied as he pulled his brother-in-law into a tight hug. “Don’t be too proud, if you need help let me know…okay?” He whispered into John’s ear before releasing his hold. John pressed his lips together into a tight smile and nodded understandingly.

“You guys ready?” Carter’s voice interrupted them. He was coming from the kitchen carrying several bags filled with leftovers.

“Got enough?” Chase chuckled teasingly.

“Not really, but I figured I’d leave some for the rest of you.” Carter countered snidely. “You ready?” He directed his question to his brother-in-law.

“Sure are.” John smiled placing his hand on the small of Liz’s back.

“Bye, Lilly…” Liz cooed while combing her fingers gently through her soft curls.

“Tell Aunt Liz bye.” Kaleb said kissing Lilly on the top of the head as she rested it against his shoulder. “She’s tired.” He apologized for his daughter who lifted her head and smiled tiredly before resting it again. “She’s had a very busy day.”

“She has…” Helen agreed as she and Horace approached the others. She smiled fondly at the little girl in her son’s arms. “You need to put her to bed.” She instructed more than suggested.

“Everything was wonderful, Son.” Horace commended as he helped Helen into her fur coat. His wife nodded her head agreeably.

“I’m actually surprised everything turned out so nicely.” She smiled smugly at Chase.

“Helen…” Her husband chided. “We’ve had a nice evening let’s not ruin it.” He whispered from the corner of his mouth.

“What?” She feigned innocence.

Chase chuckled amusingly and shook his head. Helen wouldn’t be Helen without the hint of sarcasm. Though he had to agree with Horace, she was well behaved tonight, almost pleasant. He figured it had something to do with their little secret.

“It was nice meeting you both.” Liz smiled genuinely at the Fitzgeralds. “Hopefully it won’t be the last time.”

“It was nice meeting you too, Dear.” Helen replied. “It amazes me that you and Chase are siblings.” Liz knitted her brow together tightly, but didn’t press the matter and Chase just rolled his eyes unfazed.

“We really need to get going if we’re getting on the road early tomorrow.” John reminded them.

“Yeah, that reminds me, what time does your plane leave in the morning?” Carter asked his brother.

“We fly out at noon.”

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drop you off? I mean I don’t mind. That way you don’t have to pay for parking.”

“That would be a good idea, Chase.” Kaleb agreed. “And we don’t have to leave the car at the airport.”

“Well,” Chase shrugged casually. “If you really don’t mind.” .

“Not at all.” Carter replied. “I’ll be here around 9am.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea to take the baby to New York?” Helen questioned as she secured her purse strap across her shoulder. “I mean it’s going to be cold and all those people everywhere.” She shuddered disapprovingly.

“She’ll be fine, Mom.” Kaleb answered as he bounced Lilly in his arms. “Besides, I want her to see the lighting of the tree at Rockefeller Center.” He added excitedly. He and Chase had decided to spend a week in New York. Kaleb wanted to do his Christmas shopping there and Chase had a couple of Broadway shows he wanted to take Kaleb to see, aside from just wanting to experience New York during the holidays with his little family.

“I’m just saying…” Helen challenged. “She’s too little, who knows what kind of germs she could pick up.”

“Kaleb is a great father to this little girl.” Chase insisted coming to his boyfriend’s defense. He smiled warmly even as he reached for her. “Come here, Princess.” Kaleb carefully placed the baby in Chase’s arms before combing his fingers through his hair. “He’ll make sure she’s okay, won’t he sweetheart?”

“I’ll take care of her, Mom.” He promised pulling his mother into a tight embrace. “And we’ll get you a nice Christmas gift all the way from New York.” He grinned proudly before kissing her on the cheek.

Helen sighed shaking her head at him. “Okay, Son.” She conceded turning her cheek to receive his kiss. “Just make sure to keep her warm when you’re outside.” She lastly instructed.

“She’ll be fine.” Chase assured her once more even as he snuggled Lilly closer.

“Everything is all tidy in the kitchen.” Jenny announced while pulling on her coat. Adam was following behind her, draping his scarf around his neck.

“Thank you.” Kaleb smiled stepping closer to Chase and the baby.

“Looks like we’re all ready to head out.” Carter stated glancing around. Everyone echoed his sentiments with an agreeing nod.

“Thank you guys, for coming.” Kaleb smiled as he opened the door. Each one gave the other a hug as they filed out. Adam lagged back allowing everyone else to go ahead of him. He smiled kindly at Chase who was preoccupied with the baby. His smile widened as he stood face to face with his little brother.

“Come here, Lil Man.” He said as he pulled Kaleb into a tight hug. “I’m really…really proud of you.” He whispered while patting Kaleb on the back. He pulled back meeting Kaleb’s gaze head on. “You did good, Kid.” He smiled. “You’ve got a beautiful little girl, and I know in my heart everything is going to work out fine.” He assured him. Kaleb returned the smile and nodded as he chewed on his lower lip. “That man loves you.” He nodded toward Chase who was heading into living room, allowing them some privacy. “I never doubted it for a second. Take care of him.”

“I will.” Kaleb promised as he stepped aside allowing Adam to pass.

“Have fun in New York, and take lots of pictures.” Adam called over his shoulder before joining his wife by the elevator.

“Thanks….” Kaleb waved as the closed the door behind him. He sighed pressing his lips together tightly as he made his way into the living room.

“How is she?” He asked in a hushed tone, taking his seat beside Chase.

“Poor little thing. She’s pooped.” He nodded to the sleeping baby in his arms.

“I’m tired too.” Kaleb admitted through a stifled yawn.

“Your dinner party was a success.” Chase smiled into Kaleb’s eyes.

Our dinner party was a success.” He corrected. “Thanks to you.”

“What…” Chase laughed quietly so as not to wake Lilly. “What did I do?”

“Made it all better…like you always do.” Kaleb replied lovingly as he snuggled closer to Chase. “You’ve been saving my life since the first time we met.” He added sleepily.

“Oh yeah…?” Chase questioned skeptically.

“Yeah…” Kaleb yawned sleepily. “You saved me when I fell off my bike.” He noted. Chase nodded thinking back to that day. He didn’t realize it than, but he was sure that was the moment he fell in love. Their chance meeting changed his life. “You saved me from getting arrested when I kidnapped Lilly…as you tell it.” He chuckled softy fighting off sleep. “And you made them give Lilly to me. I know that’s where you went, Chase.” He smiled appreciatively. “You saved both me and Lilly that night.” Chase didn’t admit or deny, he just smiled as he wrapped his arms around Kaleb, pulling his closer.

“You ready to go to bed?” He asked as he tenderly kissed Kaleb on the head.

“Um-hum…” Kaleb sighed contently. He sat there for a moment before begrudgingly hoisting himself from the sofa. He offered Chase his hand helping him and Lilly up.

“Are we all packed?” Chase asked as they headed down the hall.

“Yep.” Kaleb replied as he wrapped his arm around Chase’s waist.

~*~*~

City sidewalks – busy sidewalks – all decked out in Holiday cheer. In the air there was definitely a feeling of Christmas. New York City had transformed into a literal ‘Winter Wonderland.’ Window-shopping had taken on a completely new meaning for Chase and his crew. Kaleb was in awe at the revealing of the Holiday window displays. All the major stores sought to outdo each other and the displays were spectacular. From big red bows draped over high rises to the super-sized Snowflakes covering Trump Tower… simply amazing. Chase pushed Lilly in her stroller while Kaleb took pictures of everything that wowed him. He was sure Kaleb would get a crook in his neck from looking up at all the buildings and lights that littered the crowded streets of Times Square. It was truly a wonderful time of year.

~*~*~

“This is nice,” Kaleb sighed, looking out at their view from the balcony of their hotel. They were in the penthouse suite and after a long day of shopping and exploring, Lilly was sleeping comfortably in her crib while they enjoyed some alone time.

Chase had been to New York plenty of times; for business and pleasure, but this time was different somehow. The lights seemed brighter, the sights were more exciting and even at this very moment he didn’t feel the bitter cold that was snipping at their faces. He felt warm and at peace…he was happy.

“You know, it’s not every day that you meet that one who does it for you in every way,” he said turning away from the well-lit skyline to face his boyfriend. “I mean, I’ve found love before…I’ll admit that. But with you I’ve found true love, and there is a difference.” He smiled as he turned to face the skyline yet again, his hair lifting in the wind. “I guess it’s not until you’ve experienced them both that you know that.”

A soft smile crossed his lips as he glanced over at Kaleb who seemed enchanted by the twinkling lights and the noise around him. Even at this time of night New York was alive with activity. It truly was the city that never slept and he was just glad he could share all of this with him.

“Kaleb,” he called, waiting until those blue eyes were on him before he continued. “At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I have to say you are the complete package I’ve dreamed about…the one my friends and family told me didn’t exist. They were wrong; you’re very real and very much here.” He smiled as he took Kaleb’s hand into his own. He tilted his head slightly admiring the man standing in front of him. The man who held his heart in the palm of his hand and yet he didn’t feel afraid…He trusted Kaleb completely.

“I open my eyes in the morning and you’re the first person I see,” he admitted happily, “and I get this incredibly stupid smile on my face.” Kaleb smiled ducking his head shyly. “That’s how I start each day…with a smile.”

“You have a beautiful smile, Chase.”

“See that’s what I’m talking about right there...You’re loving, sweet, and honest…brutally so, sometimes,” he chuckled, “but it’s cool.” He smiled as he thought about how brutal. “You give 100% of yourself to everyone. Not to mention the fact that you’re beautiful. Not just handsome, but drop dead gorgeous, and that’s an added bonus.” His fingers grazed the top of Kaleb’s soft hand as he continued. “It’s like god sat down and crafted you with his own hands, making you special…different. And then, to top It all off, he favored a wretch like me by putting you into my life. What you see in me, I’ll never know.”

“Chase…” Kaleb chided.

“What?” Chase laughed softly, though his expression thoughtful.

“They say people love as they are,” He reasoned softly, “and you prove that every day. Yours… is all I need,” he admitted turning Kaleb so he faced him completely. He took a hold of Kaleb’s other hand and smiled into his intense blue eyes. He loved those eyes. “I have no other desires left unfilled. Nothing in the form of a relationship to seek…you fulfill them all. I love you, Kaleb. With all…everything that I am and your love consumes me in the best possible way. This is it, for me,” He squeezed Kaleb hands as if to emphasize his point. “Sign me up for forever.”

A group of carolers stopped on the street beneath them, their voices lifted by the wind bringing the words of Silent Night to their ears. He took a deep breath, focusing his attention on Kaleb as gentle snowflakes began to fall at their feet; it was the perfect backdrop for what he was about to do.

“One good turn deserves another,” he said making sure he had the younger man’s attention. Unexpectedly you asked me to be your boyfriend…well I’m taking it a step further. It would be an honor, something that I would cherish every day, and see to it you never regret that decision if you would spend your forever with me. Be my husband, my lover, my moment in life…forever.” He took another deep breath releasing it slowly.

“Marry me, Kaleb.”

“Okay….” Kaleb replied simply without any hesitation. No bells or whistles; classic Kaleb style. He looked up into Chase’s eyes and smiled. It was that smile that had captured his heart the first time he saw him at the shelter.

“Okay…” Chase chuckled as he took Kaleb into his embrace. “Thank you.” He whispered through a deep breath as he tightened his hold on him.

“For What?” Kaleb questioned as he relaxed into Chase’s arms.

“For just being you.” Chase smiled lovingly before kissing him. “For showing me there is more to life than just success, that I can have them both. For showing me how to give of myself for no other reason than just wanting to.” He shrugged casually. “For being a part of my world, and allowing me into yours. With you I’ve learned that life is not just black and white…” He admitted, kissing the top of Kaleb’s tousled black hair before settling his chin in it. “It’s full of magnificent colors and… several Shades of Gray.”

THE END


Thank you to all of you for sticking with this story. I had a blast working on it and actually fell in love with all the characters. The epilogue already will be posted before the New Year. Wanted to say thank you to my beta and editor loahisi and fleeting rainbows, who both happen to be awesome!!!!
Thanks for all the reviews and words of encourangement...
Kim
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Reading this story has been amazing. I had no idea when I started how much I would come to love the characters, and your terrific writing. Thank you for crafting such a brilliant read, it's one of my favorites.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great story, loved the ending.

So!? You're all done with this.

Now what am I supposed to do every week? lmaosmiley.gif You better be getting me something else to read

posted soon Kim. innocent.gif May I suggest you do a prequel dealing only with Kaleb! biggrin.png

Seasons Greetings Kim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/23/2011 06:35 PM, Swhouston44 said:
Great story, loved the ending.

So!? You're all done with this.

Now what am I supposed to do every week? lmaosmiley.gif You better be getting me something else to read

posted soon Kim. innocent.gif May I suggest you do a prequel dealing only with Kaleb! biggrin.png

Seasons Greetings Kim.

Uh Thank you very much.....lol.*Me using my Elivs voice.* And thank you for sticking with me till the bitter end amd also for loving my..opps Chase's...oops YOUR Kaleb so much. :D I actually think you'll dig the epilogue ;) I'm actually going to miss writing it every week too. Again thanks for the review.

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 12/23/2011 03:55 PM, intune said:
Reading this story has been amazing. I had no idea when I started how much I would come to love the characters, and your terrific writing. Thank you for crafting such a brilliant read, it's one of my favorites.
intune, thank you for reading this lil old story of mine and I'm so happy you enjoyed it. comments always fuel the writers soul, so thanks for adding to my tank sorta speak it kept me going...Hope you enjoy the Eppi as well so keep your eye out for it...

 

Kim

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was an absolutely perfect ending. I LOVED the way that you wound up the Helen issue. There could so easily have been disaster and a terrible fight but it seems as if Helen is being wooed by Lily.and that's the best possible outcome.

This was a beautiful story that I have loved from the first sentence to the last. I think you have shown that 'handicap' is somethng that lies only in the eyes of others.

You should be rightfully proud of yourself for this wonderful, heartwarming story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was very curious how you would end this. But......you pulled it off very smoothly. Looking forward to your next story. Best wishes.biggrin.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/23/2011 09:31 PM, Nephylim said:
That was an absolutely perfect ending. I LOVED the way that you wound up the Helen issue. There could so easily have been disaster and a terrible fight but it seems as if Helen is being wooed by Lily.and that's the best possible outcome.

This was a beautiful story that I have loved from the first sentence to the last. I think you have shown that 'handicap' is somethng that lies only in the eyes of others.

You should be rightfully proud of yourself for this wonderful, heartwarming story.

Graci, Nephylim.... I love that fact that YOU read and reviewed my lil story.. blushes..lol Lilly indeed won Helen over We learn a little more about that in the Eppi. Thank you...thank you. for reading the 1st till the last sentence, I really appreicate it... :)

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 12/24/2011 08:12 AM, charlieocho said:
I was very curious how you would end this. But......you pulled it off very smoothly. Looking forward to your next story. Best wishes.biggrin.png
You know charlieocho, I'm glad you enjoyed this story and stuck with me till the bitter end. I actually looked for your reviews and you didn't dissapoint...Best Wishes to you and yours as well...be safe.

 

Kim

Link to comment

i'm so so sad to see this story coming to an end :( but you made it up to me with a perfect ending!! i was curious about how you were going to solve all underlying tensions here and it was so beautiful as always. you thought (again) about everything and all was well thought out...i had to laugh at their attempt to cook a meal for the family... slippery little bugger,,, haha( reminds me of pretty woman) and Chase made a swan dive was funny!! but i'm glad you showed it this way... they are just like every other couple and not perfect in everything they do, like everyone... they are just perfect for eachother.. the dinner scene was nice and i had to smile about the image from Lilly drooling over Helen's pearls.. lol a Diva in training what an image.. perfect!! and yes, Helen behaved, but you could tell she is still Helen with her sarcascm, but i guess their little secret with hold her at bay... and i agree with Chase, it was the right decision to not tell Kaleb all this, and to not put this weight on his shoulders.

it was nice to see the families getting along so well, and than... a trip to New York around the Christmas time, the Rockefeller Center, the decorations, the lightnings.. ahhh.. i wanna go back!!!!

the last part, i have to admit, i got all teary eyed.. to sum it up what they are for eachother, girl you rock!!

your choice of words.. i should print it out and read it everyday to what is important in life...!!

the proposal was cute.. Kalebs simle yes was , well Kaleb style.. and you've taught me alot here and i will see life ,,, “It’s full of magnificent colors and… several Shades of Gray.” thank you so much

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, .. loved your choice her again !!! Miss you ! Love and Hugs <3

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/27/2011 04:23 AM, asonearth said:
i'm so so sad to see this story coming to an end :( but you made it up to me with a perfect ending!! i was curious about how you were going to solve all underlying tensions here and it was so beautiful as always. you thought (again) about everything and all was well thought out...i had to laugh at their attempt to cook a meal for the family... slippery little bugger,,, haha( reminds me of pretty woman) and Chase made a swan dive was funny!! but i'm glad you showed it this way... they are just like every other couple and not perfect in everything they do, like everyone... they are just perfect for eachother.. the dinner scene was nice and i had to smile about the image from Lilly drooling over Helen's pearls.. lol a Diva in training what an image.. perfect!! and yes, Helen behaved, but you could tell she is still Helen with her sarcascm, but i guess their little secret with hold her at bay... and i agree with Chase, it was the right decision to not tell Kaleb all this, and to not put this weight on his shoulders.

it was nice to see the families getting along so well, and than... a trip to New York around the Christmas time, the Rockefeller Center, the decorations, the lightnings.. ahhh.. i wanna go back!!!!

the last part, i have to admit, i got all teary eyed.. to sum it up what they are for eachother, girl you rock!!

your choice of words.. i should print it out and read it everyday to what is important in life...!!

the proposal was cute.. Kalebs simle yes was , well Kaleb style.. and you've taught me alot here and i will see life ,,, “It’s full of magnificent colors and… several Shades of Gray.” thank you so much

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, .. loved your choice her again !!! Miss you ! Love and Hugs <3

Happy New year,Nettie Poo and yes I did get some of my NY discription from our recent visit the the city. Missing you too, chica..

as they say all good things must come to an end, and I have had a blast chronicling the lives of Kaleb and Chase. I'm really excited about the eppi, not that its this big deal, but we get to see what our happy couple has been up too. yes Chase and Helen will share their little secert which is best anyway, Kaleb never needs to know what she tried to do. They love each other and are a perfect compliment to each other. Thanks for coming to GA and showing your support, its truly awesome to know you liked the story. Love all the reviews as you know...

Danke, Love ya

 

Kim

Link to comment

A really sweet, lovely story, beautifully written! I loved the characters and how the plot developed. Keep up the good work!

Oh and Seymour consider yourself fed :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/21/2012 09:00 AM, Torontotop said:
A really sweet, lovely story, beautifully written! I loved the characters and how the plot developed. Keep up the good work!

Oh and Seymour consider yourself fed :)

Awww....thank you so much, glad you enjoyed it. I had a blast writing it. Kaleb was so much fun and Chase was so patient...lol and thanks for the Feed. *Burp* hahaha
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..