Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,207 Words
  • 7,477 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 4. Chapter 4

When you least expect it...Expect it.
 
Chase was exiting the Dan Ryan when his car alerted him he had a call. "Call from Kris..." the automated voice chimed. Chase smiled pressing the talk button on the side of the steering wheel and within seconds, Kristin's voice filled the air.
"Morning Chase how goes it?” The chipper voice asked.
"Kris. To what do I own this unexpected pleasure? You're usually not up this time of morning...what gives?"
"Ahhh, my friend you know me all too well, don't you.” she giggled.
"You could say that.” Chase replied as he kept his eyes trained on the road.
"Well. I just thought I would give you a heads up."
"On what?"
"I was at a party last night..."
"What else is new? You stay at parties.” Chase teased. "What does that have to do with me?” He questioned through furrowed brows.
"Well, if you'd let me finish you would know.” Kris countered sarcastically.
"Sorry...my bad.” Chase laughed. "But, really, what’s up?"
"As I started so say before I was so rudely interrupted.” She paused for a moment to make a point. Chase sighed rolling his eyes.
Kristin Vel, was a twenty-eight year old Flight Attendant from Virginia . The hub for the airline she worked for was based out of Chicago . She and Chase met at a function hosted by a friend of Scott's a year ago. Though Chase wasn't fond of the "Who's who" as Scott referred to them, he and Kristin hit it off. She was like the rest of them, trying to claw their way to the top of the 'Socialite ladder.’ The difference with Kristin was she was honest about it and Chase could accept that. When she wasn't flying, she was partying and sleeping with any man, she thought could get her further up the proverbial ladder.
"So as I was saying...I wanted to give you heads up. Your name was mentioned at the party last night."
"Really? That's a good thing... right? What someone needed a good attorney?"
"Well they were asking questions alright, but not for that reason.” She clarified.
"Oh?” Chase arched his brow skeptically. "What kind of questions?” He had just pull in front of the shelter and placed the car in park, cutting the engine to give Kristin his full attention.
"Well they were..."
"Wait...Whose they?” He interrupted.
"Some guy....” She replied candidly.
"Some guy?” Chase parroted pinching the bridge of his nose. "People were asking questions about me last night, but not because they wanted my services and all I can get is 'some guy.’ Oh, Kris honey, you're losing your touch.” Chase teased as he reached over in the passenger seat for his messenger bag.
"Well....” She feigned.
"Ah, whatever it is it can't be that important or I'd know about it...” He stated with a casual shrug of the shoulder. He looked at the time. His first client was due in his office in ten minutes. "Anyway Kris, I've got to run. We need to do dinner and catch up."
"That sounds great as long as you’re buying.” She giggled only half joking.
"I always buy...” Chase deadpanned. "I'll call with the date and time.” with that he pressed the button ending the call before she could respond.
He draped his messenger bag over his shoulder while pressing the clicker on his key ring. The light chirp and flashing of headlights indicated the car was locked. He smiled shaking his head in amusement as he strolled up the walkway. He really didn't give much thought to the fact that someone was asking questions about him, that was usually the norm when you hung around a certain class of people...everybody knew or wanted to know about everybody. Chase was one of the luckier ones; he'd managed to keep his private life, just that...Private.
Once inside the lobby, he was greeted by Darla from across the room. She waved to him before ushering a young woman and child into her office closing the door behind them. He felt good after his conversation with her yesterday. She didn't reveal too much other than the fact that Kaleb had asked about him the first day he arrived.
As Chase approached the big window that led into the Daycare Nursery he slowed down, a huge smile appearing as he came face to face with him. Kaleb stood in front of the window holding a baby on his hip. Kaleb waved excitedly, bouncing the little girl in his arms, making funny faces as he pointed to Chase. He took her tiny hand into his waving it for her causing Chase to break out in laughter. His laugh soon faded to a soft chuckle as they shared a lingering glance before he nodded toward his temporary office signaling he had to go. He gave Kaleb and the little tot one last wave before turning to leave.
His mind wandered as he walked the corridors. He wasn't sure what he expected from Kaleb or why he felt this pull...this need to be around him. How could he explain to someone that with just one look he was taken by him, when he himself didn't understand it. There was this tugging at his heart strings whenever he thought about him. Try as he might, he couldn't put his finger on it. All he knew was he needed to be needed by him and yesterday confirmed it.
~*~*~
Chase was wrapping things up for the morning, and unlike yesterday, he was actually going to take a lunch. He was pretty much on schedule and tomorrow was his last day there. He stacked the folders neatly on his desk and was about to stand when he received a surprise visit.
"Hey...” Kaleb waved shyly.
"Oh...hey.” Chase smiled taken aback, but in a good way. He had been there for right at a week and this was the first time he had seen Kaleb on this end of the building. The pale blue eyes staring at him mesmerized him, stealing what little breath he had whenever Kaleb was in his presence. Kaleb stood in the doorway with one hand hidden behind his back. He bobbed his head anxiously with wide eyes. He was busting at the seams as if he was about to make a big reveal. After a few beats of dead silence, he cleared his throat bringing Chase out of his trance like state.
"Oh..." Chase shook his head coming out of his stuped. “Come in." He motioned toward the seat in front of him before standing to his feet. He scurried around the desk with a sense of urgency.
"I'm not disturbing you am I?" Kaleb asked shyly while biting on his thumbnail.
"No..Not..Um No. Of course not. It's just..." Chase let the staggered sentence hang. "Umm have a seat." He hurriedly pulled out the chair trying to steady his breathing. "You've got to stop acting like this...he's gonna think you're crazy." Chase chastised himself.
"Okaayyy...." Kaleb smiled mischievously as he sauntered in, his hand still hidden behind his back.
"What ya got there?" Chase nodded to the manila folder held protectively in the young man’s hand as he walked back around to his seat. Kaleb wiggled around antsy, grinning from ear to ear.
"I have something for you." His voice laced with excitement as he bounced in his seat.
"Really...what?" Chase asked with a questioning gaze.
"Here..." Kaleb pulled the folder from behind his back and slid it across the desk. "I hope you like it." He pressed his lips together in a tight line.
"This is for me..." Chase asked without looking up. He slowly opened the folder; his eyes wide and his mouth agape. He glanced up at a smiling Kaleb then slowly lowered his eyes down to the paper in front of him. "Wow..." He marveled at the drawing while gingerly tracing his fingers over the detailed artwork.
"You drew this?" The question somewhat rhetoric.
"Umhumm..." Kaleb nodded proudly. "You like it?"
"I love it.." Chase smiled warmly. "No one has ever drawn a picture for me before."
"I wanted to say thank you for saving my life yesterday." He stated dramatically.
"Well..." Chase chuckled quietly, "I wouldn't say I saved your life, but I was glad I was there to help." He smiled as he continued to examine the picture.
In the upper right corner was a boy lying on his back with a man kneeling beside him holding his hand. Chase smiled realizing that had to be him and Kaleb. "Nice..." He tilted his head slightly knitting his brows together curiously. "Who's this?" He pointed to the cheerleader with to pom poms in her hand.
"That's me...." Kaleb replied almost insulted as if Chase should have figured it out on his own.
"Ahhh...Okay." Chase nodded slowly. "And this?" He pointed to the drawing at the bottom of the page. He held breath anticipating the answer.
"That's us silly..." Kaleb beamed proudly. Chase released the breath he was holding giving him a half smile. He sighed inwardly feeling a bit confused. Was this Kaleb's way of saying… On the bottom of the page were two men holding each other, kissing.
"That's us?" Chase repeated faintly as he swallowed the lump lodged in his throat.
"Yeah..." Kaleb squinted with a slight tilt of the head. "You don't like it?" He asked hesitantly.
"No..no that's not it." Chase reassured him as he reached his hand across the desk placing it on Kaleb's. "It's just these are two men…You know, that right?" He asked carefully eying the young man in front of him.
"Of course I do. I drew it." Kaleb waved unfazed by Chase's question. "I don't kiss girls. Ewww..." He grimaced. "Do you?"
"No..." Chase laughed at his candor. "I don't kiss girls either." There it was...his confirmation, Kaleb was gay.
"Good." Kaleb said approvingly. "So you wanna be boyfriends?" He asked with as much ease as if he'd asked Chase for the time. Chase's eyes were so transfixed on the picture of the men kissing that all he heard was 'boyfriends.'
"Huh? What about boyfriends?"
"I asked if you wanted to be boyfriends?" Kaleb placed emphasis on the word boyfriend.
"Boyfriends?" Chase parroted as if he misunderstood.
"Yeah..." Kaleb flashed a charming smile. This time Chase knew for sure it was meant for him.
"Ummm..." He stalled trying to find the right words. Kaleb looked on, his eyes hopeful as he anticipated his answer. Pale blue eyes gazing into emerald green. Chase sighed combing his fingers through his hair. He wasn't sure what he was feeling; he knew he liked Kaleb, but boyfriends. "The guy didn't hold back did he?" He couldn't possibly know what it means to be boyfriends otherwise he wouldn't ask...would he? Kaleb sat there with the look of an innocent boy, but with the body of a man.
Chase felt torn, almost like a predator. He could get used to those eyes, those kissable lips. He wondered what it would feel like to hold him in his arms. "No no no..." He berated himself. This is crazy. How could they go from just making eye contact all week to talking for the first time yesterday, to being boyfriends today...Impossible wasn't it? Of course it was... Was he even considering it? Of course not. He knew better so why after a few moments of silence did him hear himself saying, YES!...
Kaleb squealed in delight clasping his hands together. The sparkle and excitement in his eyes, and knowing he put it there was Chase's reward.
"I have a boyfriend..." Kaleb smiled dreamily. "I've never had a boyfriend before."
"Um...yeah." Chase bobbed his head taking a deep breath.
"I made us lunch." Kaleb announced with a toothy grin.
"Oh..." Chase replied still a bet bewilder. "That's great Kaleb.” He said forcing a smile as he tried to figure out what he'd just done.
"So can you go to lunch now?" Kaleb asked excitedly.
"Sure..."
"Great. I'll go set things up and meet you outside." Kaleb nodded toward the door.
"I...um, meet you outside." Chase sighed. He pushed himself up from his desk and walked toward Kaleb who looked up at him with those adorable eyes. "Let me clean things up and I'll be out in a minute. Okay?"
"Okay..." Kaleb smiled bashfully. "See ya." He waved before heading out.
"Shit..." Chase inhaled deeply. "What did I do?" He questioned himself as he dropped down in his seat. He glanced at the picture of the two men kissing and smiled. "What are you doing to me?" He asked cupping his hand over his mouth.
~*~*~
Chase stood at the door his hand braced against it. He tried to steady himself, will himself as it were… to do this. ‘Kaleb, I was thinking. When I said we could be boyfriends, what I meant to say…’ “Shit…” He ran his hand roughly down his face rehearsing what he was going to say. ‘See Kaleb us being boyfriends right now, just…’
“No No…that’s not it either.” He sighed scratching his head. “I’ll just tell him we need more time. Go out on a date first and if we truly like each other, we can go out on more dates and eventually…maybe, become boyfriends.” He nodded pleased with that approach, “That’s how normal people do it.” He said to no one in particular. “But how normal was Kaleb...” Chase reasoned. “I mean what guy asks you to be his boyfriend after only knowing you a week? Even more importantly, how many guys say yes…” He laughed in spite himself. “Okay. You can do this.” He coached, as he stepped out the door.
The sun beamed upon Chase’s face and a nice summer breeze caught the flyaway strands of auburn hair as he stepped out on the porch. He inhaled deeply enjoying the smell of fresh cut grass that filled the air. Over to his left were a few kids playing and singing. Their tiny voices blended nicely with the chirping birds nestled in the trees. A small smile appeared when he spotted Kaleb sitting back in the corner on a black and red blanket under a tree that provided a generous amount of shade. Kaleb’s eyes lit up when he saw him. He smiled waving him in his direction. Chase returned the wave as he stepped off the landing.
As he made his way over to Kaleb he felt butterflies in the pit of his stomach. He chuckled softly, he couldn’t remember the last time a guy gave him butterflies. First grade maybe; It was actually a nice feeling. He felt like a kid again, and those eyes….Wow.
“There’s my handsome boyfriend.” Kaleb smiled adoringly, using his hand to shield his eyes from the sun.
“Hey…” Chase returned the smile with a short nod.
He scooted over allowing room for Chase to sit down beside him. “Sit.” He patted the empty space.
Chase crossed one leg over the other and lowered himself to the ground. “Nice…” He complimented obviously impressed as he glanced around. “You did all this for us?” He asked as he rolled up the sleeves of his starched white dress shirt.
“Yes…” Kaleb replied somewhat distracted as he dug around in the wicker lunch basket.
“So you had this all planned eh?”
“Uhhumm…I knew you were leaving tomorrow, so I had to move fast.”
“You knew I was going to say yes?” Chase asked with an arched brow.
“I hoped you would.” Kaleb shrugged his shoulder casually as he reached for Chase’s shoe. “Take these off; you’re on lunch for goodness sake. You should be relaxing.” He insisted as he slipped it off his foot.
“No Wait…” Chase objected reaching for Kaleb. Kaleb swatted his hand out of the way and removed the other one despite Chase’s resistance. He wiggled his toes enjoying the freedom. Those $150.00 shoes were comfortable, but Kaleb was right this was much nicer. Chase smiled when he noticed Kaleb had already removed his own shoes.
Kaleb held a sandwich in each hand, “So… grape or strawberry?” He smiled offering Chase either one. “I didn’t know what you liked so I made both.”
“You made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?” Chase placed his hand to his chest feeling flattered by the gesture.
“Yep…It’s my favorite. So…which one?”
“Grape.” Chase said reaching for the sandwich in his left hand. Kaleb used the back of his hand to push back the curls that had fallen in his face before digging into the basket once more.
“These are yours.” He handed Chase a zipped locked baggie of perfectly sliced green apples.
“Thank you…” Chase had already opened his sandwich and was about to take a bite. Kaleb crossed his legs sitting ‘Indian style’ as he opened his sandwich. They shared a lingering glance before both men bit into their food.
“Mmmm….This is good.” Chase muttered. “I can’t remember the last time I had PB&J.” He added fondly.
“Oh…” Kaleb mumbled between chews. “I forgot the drinks.” He swallowed hard as he reached inside the wicker basket again. “I usually drink milk but today is special so I got sparkling cider.” He smiled proudly handing Chase a can.
“Um…” Chase swallowed the food he was chewing. “Thanks.” He said reaching for the can of cider. “This is really nice.” He stated honestly, as he pulled the tab back. He reached for Kaleb’s can. “Let me.”
“Thank you…” Kaleb ducked his head blushing. The guys ate in comfortable silence, which was also a first for Chase, each one stealing glances at the other. Chase had finished the last apple slice in his bag before balling up his napkin and stuffing it inside the baggie. He carefully watched Kaleb clean up their empty packaging. He took a deep breath, willing the pounding in his heart to slow down.
“Thank you for lunch.” He smiled appreciatively.
“You’re welcome.”
Chase cleared his throat and took another deep breath. “Kaleb, we need to talk.” He stated hesitantly, his tone taking on a hint of seriousness.
“What?” Kaleb stopped what he was doing, his big blue eyes focused on his boyfriend giving him his undivided attention. Chase tilted his head slightly as he chewed on his lower lip searching for the right words. Kaleb had to be the most beautiful man…he’d ever seen and in just the little time he spent with him this afternoon along with what he managed to get out of Darla, he was sweet and gentle. Kaleb sat there waiting, starting to squirm a little. “What is it, Chase?”
“It’s…” He scratched his brow, closing his eyes tightly. “You know.” He sighed. “If we’re going to be boyfriends we need to know a little about each other.” The conversation took a drastic turn. He couldn’t do it. The funny thing is he wasn’t sure he wanted to.
“You scared me.” Kaleb placed his hand to his chest. “I thought you wanted to break up.” He chuckled humorously.
“That could go in the genius book of records for the shortest courtship.” Chase laughed off handedly.
“So what did you want to know?” Kaleb asked as he continued to load the basket with their trash and uneaten food.
“Huh?”
“You said we needed to learn stuff about each other, what do you want to know?”
“Oh yeah…Um I don’t know. Nothing boring like what’s your favorite color.”
“That’s good, because I don’t have one.” Kaleb shrugged. “I love all colors. I don’t see how a person can have just one. It’s like a person saying their favorite color is orange. Do you know how many different shades of orange there are? There’s way too many beautiful colors to limit yourself.” Chase gave an understanding nod as he listened. “It’s like a favorite song or movie. I don’t have just one.”
“Okay, but what about a favorite artist, do you have one?” Chase seemed genuinely interested.
“I love Prince. His old music though.” Kaleb clarified with a faraway look in his eyes. “He’s older, but still handsome. A bit too short for me.”
“Prince is good.” Chase chuckled.
“Oh, and Beyonce.” Kaleb added. “I think she’s pretty and I love to watch her dance.” He admitted with fondness. “What about you?”
“Me…I’m a jazz man. Good olded fashion Jazz.” Chase smiled. With fluid movement and without much thought he pulled Kaleb back against him, resting his back against his chest, never missing a beat in their conversation. “I love the way the music makes me feel. I swear if you cut me, I’ll bleed musical notes.” He chuckled softly.
“My dad listens to Jazz all the time. It’s not my thing but I respect the artist who performs them. The kind he listens to puts me to sleep.”
“Really…” Chase asked as his mind wandered off. He wasn’t sure what he expected, but sitting there talking to Kaleb was perfect. His voice was different, cute even. From what he could see, Kaleb was honest, unfiltered, with a sense of innocence…naive somewhat, but that was all Chase noticed. “Where was this disability Darla and Scott spoke of?”
“I’ve never kissed a boy before.” Kaleb switched topics without beat.
“Huh…”
“You know, Chase. You say huh a lot…do you even listen? It’s like your mind is always somewhere else. You actually win cases this way?”
“I’m…” Chase laughed at his bluntness. It didn’t bother him though, it would definitely keep him on his toes. “I’ll pay more attention, okay.”
“Okay…” Kaleb pouted as he played with Chase’s fingers.
“So what did you say again?”
“I said I’ve never kissed a boy before.”
“What about a girl?”
“Does my mom count?” Kaleb asked with all seriousness.
“Um….” Chase shrugged. “I don’t know.”
“What about you. Have you kissed a boy?” Chase smiled resting his head on Kaleb’s shoulder inhaling his natural scent.
“I have…” He stated simply.
“You’ll be my first.” Kaleb admitted causing Chase to smile again, which he seemed to be able to do without even trying.
“Okay…” Chase replied willingly. The thought of kissing him stirred feelings inside Chase. He shifted slightly hoping Kaleb hadn’t noticed but he was too late. Kaleb looked back over his shoulder glancing down between them.
“It’s okay. That happens to me all the time. Sometimes even in my sleep.” He stated candidly. ‘Oh god…’ Chase muttered under his breath feeling his cheeks redden.
“So tell me something else.” Chase proposed in an effort take the conversation off his erection. He was dealing with Kaleb after all and who knows where this could lead.
“Like?”
“I don’t know. Do you speak any other languages other than English?”
“French.”
“French…” Chase parroted. “Really?” He questioned.
“What…Why is that so hard to believe?” He turned within Chase’s arms coming face to face with him. “I speak it fluently actually.”
“Say something…” Chase challenged.
“Say something?” Kaleb giggled at the request. “Let me see…” He hummed tapping his finger to his chin thoughtfully. “Okay….” He closed his eyes taking a deep breath letting the words flow. “Lundi, j'ai vu les yeux du plus bel homme que je n'avais jamais vu. En plus d'être beau, il est gentil et parfait. Aujourd'hui je lui ai demandé si il voulait être mon petit ami et il a dit oui. Je suis le plus heureux du monde.” He opened his eyes to find Chase staring in awe… Kaleb smiled into his green eyes that registered astonishment.
“Wow…” He sat stunned for a moment. “You really do speak French.” He said in amazement.
“Duh….that’s what I just said.” Kaleb countered.
“I know that…It’s just…” Chase scratched behind his ear… “What the hell did you just say anyway?” He laughed.
“You really want to know…?”
“I asked didn’t I?” Chase countered with a sly smirk. He figured if Kaleb could dish it out he could take it. Kaleb rolled his eyes with an exaggerated sigh granting him a playful slap to the back of the head.
“Just tell me.” Chase insisted.
“Oww…” Kaleb laughed rubbing the top of his head. “Okay…okay. What I said was, Monday; I saw the eyes of the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen. And he's not only handsome but kind and, perfect. Today, I asked him to be my boyfriend and him said yes. So I’m the happiest guy in the world.”
“Thank you. You mean that?” He asked after a beat.
“I do…”
Those simple words warmed Chase’s heart because, he knew Kaleb meant them. He buried his chin in Kaleb’s thick dark curls enjoying the fresh scent of shampoo. It wasn’t a strong over powering fragrance, just simple and clean. Kaleb was simple. It didn’t seem to take much to make him happy… to make him smile. Whether it was running around with the kids in the daycare, or enjoying the salty sweet combination of peanut butter and jelly. It didn’t matter if he was listening to Prince in his IPod, or just sitting here in the grass. No Glamour or glitz was needed to entertain him. This reminded him of sitting at home watching a game on ESPN while eating take out. This reminded him of him.
Kaleb's voice along with the beeping of his cell phone pulled Chase from his reverie. Kaleb scooted up allowing Chase room to pull his phone from his pocket.
"Excuse me." He glanced at the number and sighed. "I have to take this." He said as he forced himself off the ground.
"Okay..." Kaleb smiled. His attention quickly averted to his previous task of cleaning up.
Chase shoved his hand deep inside his pocket. "Hey..."
"Well hello to you too." Scott laughed.
"What's up?" Chase asked looking back over his shoulder at his "new boyfriend." He shook his head in disbelief. Hearing Scott's voice brought him back to reality.
"Well. I know you're busy but I wanted to let you know I'm free today. So I can pick up your suit for the dinner party tonight if you want."
"Oh shit..." Chase felt his chest tighten and a queasiness in the pit of his stomach. "Is that tonight?"
"Chase, please don't tell me you forgot. You promised to escort me to my award dinner." Scott reminded him. His tone taking on a slight panic. "I can't show up to a dinner held in my honor alone." He stressed.
A frown appeared as he averted his gaze to Kaleb who was now talking to a member of the staff. He pinched the bridge of his nose releasing an exasperated sigh. "What has he gotten himself into?" He wondered. He did promise Scott he would go with him to the dinner over a month ago. So he couldn't bail on him...could he? Then there was Kaleb, who he promised to be his boyfriend. Would he be cheating on him if he honored his word with Scott? "Shit..."
"I'll go..."
"Thank you...I'll pick up your suit and drop it by this afternoon."
"Yeah. Whatever..." He grumbled under his breath.
"Huh?"
"Nothing...I'll see you later." Chase ended the call forcing the cell phone into his pocket. He took a deep breath before making his way back to Kaleb.
"Everything okay?" Kaleb asked as his hooked the basket over his arm.
"Yeah..." Chase replied trying to sound convincing. "Um... I really gotta head back inside." He nodded over his shoulder.
"Me too. There's crisis going on inside."
"Really what’s the matter?" Chase asked with concern as he placed his hand on the small of Kaleb's back guiding him toward the shelter.
"Lilly is sick and being fussy and won't go to sleep."
"Lilly?"
"She's the little girl I was holding this morning when you came in. She's not feeling well."
"Oh..." Chase nodded slowly. "A crisis...a small child crying is a crisis to him." He thought to himself. To Scott the crisis was going to a dinner party alone.
As soon as they stepped inside Kaleb was pulled into the daycare center. He didn't even have time to say good-bye. All he could do was wave. Chase stood there watching as everyone gathered around Kaleb who was now rocking the baby into a calm sleep. He placed his hand to the glass and a warm smile graced his lips as he watched on admiringly. He then realized that it wasn't just him Kaleb had that affect on, which made him wonder if he needed Kaleb to need him, or was it the other way around.
 
~*~*~
“You sure you don’t need a ride home?” Chase asked as he stood in the yard with Kaleb waiting on Paul to pick him up.
“No it’s fine. He’s already on his way.” Kaleb smiled as he adjusted the strap on his Spiderman back pack. Until he got his new bike, Paul would be picking him up from the shelter
“Oh, okay.” Chase sounded a bit disappointed.
“There he is…” Kaleb nodded toward the black town car slowly pulling up in front of them.
“Well. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then?” Chase asked with a slight of the head.
“Yeah…” Kaleb nodded before turning to walk away.
There was something missing. A hug, a kiss maybe? They were boyfriends…right? Then there was tonight. Chase sighed heavily thinking about his commitment to Scott. He had to keep it; a promise was a promise, one he didn’t see himself making with him in the future. Kaleb was reaching for the handle of the door when it hit him. He wanted to do this. He still couldn’t explain it, but watching Kaleb walk away felt so…final.
“Kaleb!” He called out with a sense of urgency. “Wait!” Chase hurried toward him with Kaleb meeting him halfway.
“What’s the matter?” Kaleb asked with a questioning gaze.
“You really want to do this…this boyfriend thing?” Chase asked slightly winded, feeling as if butterflies were attacking his stomach once again.
“Of course. I’m the one who asked you…remember?”
“Oh yeah…” Chase stood there with a goofy grin on his face for two beats before he found his voice again. “Look, tomorrow is my last day here. What do you say we go out tomorrow night?”
“Go out?” Kaleb questioned for clarity.
“Yes…” Chase grabbed Kaleb’s hand. “Let me take you out to dinner, a movie…whatever you want.”
“Like a date?”
“Yes…yes.” Chase laughed. “A date.”
“Wow…” Kaleb sighed breathlessly. “I’ve never been on a date before.” He voice excitedly.
“Well, you’ve never had a boyfriend before and that’s apart of it.” Chase smiled. “So….”
“Okay.” Kaleb readily accepted. “But I have to go now or I’ll be late for dinner and my mom hates it when I’m late.” He explained.
“Okay…go.” Chase ushered him toward the car. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He smiled brightly as he opened the door motioning him inside. Once Kaleb was safely in, he closed the door stepping back onto the curb. He took a deep breath watching until the car turned the corner and was out of his sight before heading to his own. Today’s events were not what he expected, but then again… neither was Kaleb.
Next up: Chase and Scott have a talk.
Kaleb tells his parents his exciting news and Guess who's coming to dinner....

~*~* Hope you guys are enjoying the story as much as I am writing it... Kim

Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/27/2011 04:28 AM, saintsfan820 said:
I am really like Chase & Kaleb. Hoping nothing goes wrong with their budding relationship.:2thumbs:
I'm glad you like them...nothing ever goes smoothly in relationships you know that. ;) But I have a feeling they will be alright. thanks for the comment, I love them...
Link to comment
On 08/27/2011 07:37 AM, charlieocho said:
This story is quite different, and I like it. Their future looks very interesting!:2thumbs:
So glad you do. It is different which is why I like it... We get to see Chase a high powered Attorney who hates the high profile life fall for a simple, yet very intelligent Kaleb finding, they both give each other what they need... which surprises their family and friends,so yes this should be very interesting indeed... but relationships do have their issues... ;)thanks for your support, comments fuel the writers soul...
Link to comment

Oh dear. Life is never kind to people like Chase and Kaleb. I hope that your story will be. Gods they are an awesome couple and i am so glad that Chase allowed himself to go with his feelings. Not sure how the rest of the world is going to see their relationship but together they are beautiful.

Link to comment
On 09/03/2011 06:20 AM, Nephylim said:
Oh dear. Life is never kind to people like Chase and Kaleb. I hope that your story will be. Gods they are an awesome couple and i am so glad that Chase allowed himself to go with his feelings. Not sure how the rest of the world is going to see their relationship but together they are beautiful.
I thought long and hard about this story. And you're right life and people can be curel. But as I mentioned here we have a strong couple, plus the compliment each other so well..So hopefully you will hang in there with them and go though the trails withe em..
Link to comment
On 09/26/2011 01:43 PM, intune said:
Seems like lots of problems lie ahead, but I like the story a lot so far thumbsup.gif
Problems indeed...the trails of relationships, we all go through it...Kaleb and Chase will be no exception, but if they deal with them together, they might be ok... :D
Link to comment

wow, i have to say this came a little unexpected..lol don't get me wrong they are an adorable couple together but this easy going about the ""boyfriend"" thing from Kaleb's side is a little contrary to what i learned about Chase and there's Scott to mention. i truly think Chase is fascinated and maybe a little in love with Kaleb but Kaleb is sure different. Kaleb was so , so sweet here .the drawing was perfect, although i want to know why he draw himself as a Cheerleader ( a female ) but than he draw two boys kissing..awww and just plain asked Chase to be boyfriends,,haha it looks like Chase was just speaking without even thinking . i wondered a little about the Lunch scene. Kaleb had this all planned, so he had to think about this and make plans and he did great!!`he knew he had to act fast this shows a lot of independent and thoughtful acting. and him speaking french, aww... he is such a cutie. but i'm a little afraid too: it's easy to make Kaleb happy, but i guess it's equal easy to made him sad... i will see..hmm

so Chase liked to keep his private life just that "private" i'm not so sure it will stay this way. so another great chapter and it get's more ""knotted up" thanks <3

Link to comment
On 10/07/2011 12:41 AM, asonearth said:
wow, i have to say this came a little unexpected..lol don't get me wrong they are an adorable couple together but this easy going about the ""boyfriend"" thing from Kaleb's side is a little contrary to what i learned about Chase and there's Scott to mention. i truly think Chase is fascinated and maybe a little in love with Kaleb but Kaleb is sure different. Kaleb was so , so sweet here .the drawing was perfect, although i want to know why he draw himself as a Cheerleader ( a female ) but than he draw two boys kissing..awww and just plain asked Chase to be boyfriends,,haha it looks like Chase was just speaking without even thinking . i wondered a little about the Lunch scene. Kaleb had this all planned, so he had to think about this and make plans and he did great!!`he knew he had to act fast this shows a lot of independent and thoughtful acting. and him speaking french, aww... he is such a cutie. but i'm a little afraid too: it's easy to make Kaleb happy, but i guess it's equal easy to made him sad... i will see..hmm

so Chase liked to keep his private life just that "private" i'm not so sure it will stay this way. so another great chapter and it get's more ""knotted up" thanks <3

Kaleb is very different, but in a good way, as far as chase is concerned. Contrary is a good word. Chase never imagned he would be in a situation like this with a person like Kaleb. and yes Chase finds himself doing all sorts of things he "normally" wouldn't do and all Kaleb has to do is ask. Another thing we learn is don't try to figure Kaleb out it's a waste of time. One thing is for sure he never ceases to amaze Chase. I think Scott might be getting the boot...just saying lol
Link to comment

Wow! talk abt unexpected... but then again, Kaleb is not someone you can *expect* things of! LOL.

Loving these two to bits! :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..