Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,833 Words
  • 6,562 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 13. Chapter 13 Confessions

Chase receives an unexpected visitor. Dinner with the Fitzgeralds go over without a hitch...or dose it. Chase makes a confession, but to who?

“Everybody…everybody, loosen up. Shake it like you just don't care -Shake it like you just don't care-
Never mind your friends, girl, it ain't no sin to strip right down to your underwear. I say everybody, -everybody-, screw the masses. We only want to have some fun -only wanna have some fun- I say do whatever we want, wear lingerie to a restaurant. Policeman ain’t got no gun, you don't have to run.
Everybody - Ooh -ooh-, all right,-all right-. Dance…Music…Sex, Romance. Everybody say - Ooh ooh-, all right,-all right-. Dance…Music…Sex, Romance…Ohhhh.”

Chase laughed in amusement as he sat on his messy sheets, pecking away on his laptop while he listened to his boyfriend sing in the shower. The song this morning was Prince’s ‘DMSR’. He sang as if no one else could hear, not that it mattered. He sang happily at the top of his lungs, even though he was of key.

He finished the paragraph he was working on and pushed the computer to the side as he heard the running water stop and the shower curtain slide across the iron rod. He smiled contently when Kaleb appeared in the doorway with only a towel draped tightly around his waist.

“I love that song.” Kaleb announced as he stepped into the bedroom while combing his fingers through his damp curly mane. Chase just smiled as he watched him move about the bedroom. “I never understood why people wrote songs about having sex. I do now.” He grinned while bouncing his brows suggestively as he reached into his overnight bag and pulled out a pair of clean black boxer briefs.

“Oh yeah?” Chase smirked in a dark sexy tone. He watched the towel slip seductively off Kaleb’s slender hips and fall to the floor.

“Uhhumm…” Kaleb smiled as he tugged on the clingy fabric that snugly hugged his thighs. He sauntered over to the naked attorney who still smelled of their sex and draped his arms around his neck forcing him backwards onto the bed before climbing on top of him.

“I love having sex with you.” Kaleb whispered into his ear, before kissing the outer shell. He pulled back, glancing down into those dreamy emerald green eyes that were getting lost in his pale blue ones. He lowered his head slowly till their lips brushed against each other in a sweet kiss.

“Mmmm.” Chase moaned approvingly when Kaleb broke the kiss. He ran his tongue over his mouth tasting the remnants that was all Kaleb. He gave Kaleb a lopsided smile as he wrapped his arms around his cool waist.

“You know I’m versatile.” He pressed his lips together tightly. “If you ever want to…you know.” He smiled into Kaleb’s warm blue eyes. “Just putting it out there.” He shrugged his shoulders back against the cool sheets.

“Nawh…” Kaleb replied, as he kissed him quickly on the lips. “I like feeling you inside me. I love feeling close to you.” Kaleb smiled as he climbed off the bed.

“Humm…” Chase nodded slowly as he rose up, resting on his elbows as he watched admiringly while Kaleb dressed in front of him. “You sure you don’t want to stay home and play hooky with me?” Chase asked enticingly with an arched brow.

“Would love to.” Kaleb mumbled as he pulled the shirt over his head. “But I have to go to the shelter. You know that.” He said as his head popped through the collar. He forced his arms through the sleeves before pulling the shirt down around to his hips.

“Yeah…” Chase replied knowingly with a slight shrug. “But it didn’t hurt to ask.”

“Yeah, well I’ve gotta hurry or I’ll be late.” Kaleb voiced as he pulled up his button fly Levis. “Oh. I’m gonna go straight home when I leave the shelter this afternoon. So I’ll see you there.” He stated more than questioned as he forced his foot into his red and navy Sperry.

“Oh yeah…” Chase sighed dejectedly before dropping his head down onto the pillow. “That is tonight, isn’t it?” He frowned as he tugged on his hair.

“Yesssss…” Kaleb replied as he stuffed the other foot inside the other shoe. “And you promised, Chase.” He bleated desperately.

“I know...I know. And I’m coming, it’s just….” Chase let the statement linger for a moment. “Is she still pissed off about the car?” He asked hesitantly. “And the fact that you’ve been staying over here?”

“Don’t worry about it. My dad handled that for us.” Kaleb assured him. “And after she stopped crying about the car she was fine.” Kaleb explained unfazed as he grabbed his backpack and tossed it over his shoulder. “7:00 sharp and don’t be late.” Kaleb warned him before heading out of the room. Chase scooted off the bed and followed him down the hall and into the kitchen where Kaleb had a fresh pot of coffee brewing for him.

“You sure I can’t convince you to stay home.” He pouted as he stepped behind Kaleb and pressed his semi-hardened erection against his butt in an attempt to lure him back to bed.

“Chase….” Kaleb protested as he turned to face him. He rested his back against the counter and sighed exaggeratedly before wrapping his arms loosely around his neck. “Tonight, I promise. You can have me any and every way you want.” He reassured; before kissing him on the nose. He reached behind him grabbing the brown paper bag that consisted of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, banana, and chocolate milk. “See you later.” He grinned as he un-wedged himself from between Chase and the counter.

“Hey…” Chase objected as his capture freed himself. “And what am I supposed to do with this?” Chase arched his brow and gestured to his cock.

“I got you.” Kaleb giggled. “I promise.” He called back over his shoulder as he grabbed his keys of the hook by the door. “Nympho…” His voice faded as the door closed behind him.

“Whatever…Pot meet Kettle.” Chase chuckled humorously as he watched Kaleb walk out the door. He ran his fingers through his hair with a permanent smile plastered on his lips. He padded over the coffee pot, grabbed the mug that Kaleb left beside it and poured himself a cup. He sighed contentedly as he took a cautious sip. “Blah…” He frowned before pouring the cup of coffee down the drain. “Too weak.” He laughed as he reached for the carafe. “But he’s trying.” He smiled fondly as he poured that coffee too down the drain in order to make a fresh pot.

“Lesson number one.” He spoke animatedly to himself as he pulled of the lid to the coffee canister. “Three scoops, not one, Kaleb.” He laughed. He changed his tone an octave higher before mocking his boyfriend’s reply. “But coffee is bad for you…and I’m only using one scoop. Take it or leave it.” He continued to laugh as he pictured Kaleb with his beautiful pout and arms crossed defiantly over his chest. “Awww, Kaleb, I lov…“ He stopped suddenly when he heard a rapping on the door. One he was all too familiar with. He knitted his brows together tightly as he set the scooper back in the canister. Everyone else rang the doorbell, but not him. But it couldn’t be him…could it?” He thought to himself.

“Hold on…” He yelled while walking briskly to his bedroom to grab a pair of shorts and tee shirt. He tightened the drawstring on his shorts as he made his way over to the door.

He opened the door and a huge smile appeared. “Dude?!” He stepped backwards. “What the hell are you doing here?” He asked in surprise with opened arms.

“Hey…little bro.” Carter laughed as he welcomed Chase into his out stretched arms as well, pulling him into a tight hug.

After they released their hold, Chase questioned his brother again. “Damn, man, aren’t you supposed to be in Germany?” He asked as Carter sidestepped him, bumping him out of the way. “Hey…” A look of confusion attacked his features as he scratched behind his ear. “How did you…”

“Oh…” Carter yelled over his shoulder as he nodded approvingly of Chase’s apartment. “I called the office and your girl said you were working from home today. Playing hooky, I said.” He added. “She didn’t find the humor in that.” Carter chuckled as he walked over to the large picture window. From here, Chase had a perfect view of the downtown Chicago skyline. From this distance, it looked as if you could fit it in the palm of your hand. “She’s a little uptight, isn’t she?” He questioned with an arched brow.

“Who, Delia? No, she’s cool.” Chase assured him as he closed and locked the door. “But you never answered my question. What are you doing here?” He repeated as he made his way into the living room where his brother had made himself at home.

“Oh that.” Carter chuckled nervously.

“Yeah that.” Chase arched his brow questioningly.

“Well. I’ve decided to move back to the states.” He stated nonchalantly.

“Move back to the states…just like that?” Chase questioned skeptically as he sat down across from his brother.

“Yeah…” He bobbed his head unconvincingly.

“Look, you may be older than me by a few minutes, and we may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night…come again.” Chase replied a hint of seriousness lacing his tone. He leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees locking gazes with his brother. Green eyes challenging green, neither wanting to be the first one to break the stare. After a moment of intense silence, Carter broke.

“Okay…” He sighed as he collapsed back on the sofa. “My contract is up. And I wasn’t picked in the drafts this year.”

“Really?”

“Or last year…” He admitted through an exhausted sigh.

“What…But I…”

“I know. You thought I was still playing.” Carter shrugged knowingly. “Truth is I broke my ankle in three places and it’s not strong enough anymore, so I’m no good to the league, hell if I was a horse they would have taken me out and shot me.” He laughed humorlessly.

“Man…” Chase dragged his hand roughly down his jaw. “I’m sorry to hear that. What have you been doing… for money?”

“Well. I was living off my savings and when that ran out, I did jobs here and there. Mostly there.” He sighed. “So….” He sat up, clasping his hand together in his lap. “With the situation with dad, I figured it was time to come home.” He said as he chewed on the inside of his cheek.

“Okay…” Chase nodded his understanding. “So you are taking up residency here or in Indy?” He asked as he rubbed his finger under his chin processing the situation. “Because you know ‘Mi casa es su casa’ bro.”

“Thanks man. I might just take you up on it. For a few nights anyway. I’m heading to Indianapolis to see Liz. I have a little money to hold me over, but…”

“Yeah, I know, it’s just to hold you over.” Chase stated. “Well just let me know what you need.”

“This sofa right here will do just fine.” Carter replied as he ran his hand gingerly over the beige leather couch. “If I could sack out here while I look for a gig that would be cool.”

“Yeah…sure…of course.” Chase answered without hesitation.

“I mean, I don’t want to cramp your style or anything.” Carter stated honestly.

“No... No, it’s cool. Kaleb won’t mind.”

“Kaleb? What… is he?” Carter stammered. “Are you two living together?” He asked incredulously.

“No…” Chase answered quickly. “But he’s the only one I’m seeing, so.” He shrugged. “And he stays over some nights.”

“Wow….” Carter sighed unable to hide his surprised expression. “So you’re really serious about this dude eh?” He assumed. What about the old dude…”

Chase nodded as he stood up from his seat. “I was about to put on some coffee.” He stated as he headed into the kitchen. “Old dude?” Chase parroted.

“Yeah…Scott. I think. What happened to him? Are you still seeing him?”

“He knows about Kaleb and me, and no, I stopped seeing him when Kaleb and I started dating. And to answer your question…yes, it’s serious with Kaleb.”

“Okay…” Carter nodded as he followed his brother into the kitchen. “You got anything stronger than coffee?” He asked as he glanced around the kitchen.

“In the cabinet to the right.” Chase replied as he filled the carafe with water. He didn’t bother to remind his brother it was only 9:00 am in the morning.

“Cool…” Carter said as he untwisted the top off the Greygoose Vodka. “Glass?”

“Here…” Chase was a step ahead of his brother. He handed him a glass before reaching into the refrigerator and pulling out the orange juice.

“Thanks man.”

“You’re welcome.” Chase rested his back against the counter as he watched his brother make himself a morning cocktail. He took a deep breath and asked the probing question. “What is it about Kaleb and me?”

“Huh?”

“Why do people question our relationship?” He asked curiously, as he crossed one leg over the other. “I mean is it me?” He pointed to himself.

“No…well, yes. Hell, maybe both of you.” Carter replied as he slurped his drink, careful not to spill it. Chase crossed his arms over his chest as he waited for his brother to continue. “I don’t know. It’s like you two are as different as night and day.” He shrugs as he pulled out a chair to sit down. “He carries a ‘Spiderman Backpack for goodness sake.”

“And I carry a messenger bag.” Chase countered through a slight chuckle. “And?”

“He plays with little kids, like he’s one. I mean he really enjoys it. Who does that?” He laughed before taking another drink.

“Kaleb.” Chase answered simply. “I don’t see anything wrong with that. It’ll be good for him when he has kids of his own.”

“What?” Carter’s eyes widened. “He wants children? How is that possible?”

“Adoption or surrogacy” Chase replied as he poured himself a fresh cup of hot coffee.

“I know that, ass hole.” Carter quipped. “I mean with the mental thing going on, would they even consider allowing him to have a child?”

“You know, Carter, sometimes I wonder if we have the same genes.” Chase laughed as he joined his brother at the table.

“What…” Carter shrugged his shoulders in defense. “It’s a legitimate question and you know it.” He said with a short nod.

“You do know those with mental handicaps get married and have children that are perfectly healthy.” Chase informed him. “Kaleb’s is mild. Hell it’s so mild I almost forget he has a disability.” He admitted reflectively.

“You would.” Carter replied candidly.

“What is that supposed to mean?” His brother asked, slightly offended.

“I just mean, all you see is the good, and that’s okay.” Carter clarified. “I just wonder if you really know what you’re getting into that’s all.” He titled his head slightly, concern evident in his tone. Chase scratched thoughtfully behind his ear, before taking a cautious sip from his mug.

“He makes me happy.” Was his only reply.

“Hummm….” Carter nodded slowly as if he understood completely. Chase set his cup down, clasped his fingers together resting his chin on top of them, and sighed.

“There are four main things people strive for in life, Happiness, love, money and health…and not necessarily in that order.” He rubbed his finger thoughtfully under his chin before he continued. “My health is good, knock on wood.” He tapped twice on the wood table before bringing his hands back to their original position. “The love, I’ve been complacent in that area.” He smiled. His brother saluted him with his glass before bringing it to his lips.

“The money…” He sighed. “I’m good. I want for nothing. It’s the happiness in the past that I’ve had issues with. Me and most of the world.” He chuckled humorlessly. “I used to equate money to happiness. The more money I had the happier I would be.” He shook his head and sighed. “And that just wasn’t the case.”

“Yeah…I get it.” Carter agreed.

“I’ve been all over the world. Have a closet full of fancy clothes. I buy myself a shiny new car when it fancies me. And I could have a warm body in my bed every night.”

“Whoa….” Carter objected shaking his head vehemently. “TMI…little bro.TMI”

Chase laughed amusingly at his brother. He sighed waiting for his little rant to be over before he continued. “My point is…Money can’t and didn’t buy me happiness.”

“What if he’s after your money?” Carter questioned ingeniously. Chase broke out in a boisterous laugh causing an insulting frown to creep upon is brother’s mouth. “What?”

“He’s a Fitzgerald.”

“What…like a Rockefeller, or something?” Carter questioned quizzically.

“Close enough.” Chase chuckled.

“Wooo…” Carter nodded. “So you’re after his money?” He replied jokingly.

“Ummm…No.” Chase counter. “I just bought him a car. I’m so not after his money.”

“Wait?!…What?!” Carter’s eyes widened with shock as he choked on the sip he was attempting to swallow. “You just bought him a car? Seriously?”

“Yeah…”

“What the Fuck?”

“He needed it.” Chase defended.

“Why didn’t he just buy his own car?”

“It’s complicated.” Chase sighed.

“Okayyy…It just seems like everything about him is complicated.” His twin added respectfully. “Which is my concern. Are you sure you want to take this on…Is it worth it?”

“Yes…” Chase answered without hesitation. “I guess I’m being selfish here.” He rationalized. “He’s afforded me the one thing money can’t buy…Happiness.” He nodded convincingly. “Trust me, there’s nothing like it in the world.” He sighed with a faraway look in his eyes.

“I dig it.” His brother nodded. “But, little bro, if you’ve got it going on like that…then I do need a loan.” Carter shifted gears only half joking.

“I said whatever you need just let me know.”

“Wow…okay” Carter ran his hand roughly down his chin. “I just need a little cash…A loan.” He reminded quickly. “And a place to crash.”

“You got it.”

“Thanks, man. Hey.” Carter snapped his finger as a thought hit him. “The dude from ‘Eddie and The Cruisers’.”

“What?”

“Spider boy reminds me of the guy from that movie.” He stated. “They played it on the plane on the way over here and I kept thinking he looked familiar.”

“Umm…I don’t think so.” Chase laughed.

“Hell yeah. A younger version of him…of course. The hair is different. Kaleb’s is curly but…” He pointed out.

“You’re delusional.” Chase chuckled. “I know who you’re talking about, and my baby looks nothing like him.”

“Whatever dude. Where’s your computer? Lets Google him.” Chase challenged as he grabbed his drink and headed out of the kitchen. Chase shook his head as he pushed himself up from the table and followed his brother into the other room.

~*~*~

Chase stood in front of the mirror giving himself a once over. The morning was spent hanging out with his brother, shooting the breeze, and sharing memories of their parents while growing up in Indiana. He didn’t realize how much he missed Carter until today. He sighed as he combed his fingers through his short auburn hair attempting to style it.

Carter left for Indianapolis this afternoon with plans to return in a few days. Chase turned to his side, tilting his head slightly as he observed his figure. He sighed as he pinched the preverbal inch on his midsection. He needed to get back on the racket ball court. He thought to himself. He realized since he and Kaleb had been hanging out he’d neglected his physical activates, except the ones in the bedroom.

Kaleb had been spending most nights at his place against his mother’s wishes. Basically…he just didn’t go home. He called his father to tell him where he was so they didn’t worry, and that was that.

Tonight would be the first time he and Helen were in each other’s company for any length of time since they met. He still found it hard to believe this dinner thing was her idea, but he rode with it. He ran his hand down the front of his white dress shirt, smoothing out any wrinkles before he grabbed his hunter green sports jacket.

“Ready or not, Helen, here I come.” He grimaced at his reflection. He reached for his wallet, stuffed it in the inside pocket of his jacket before cutting out the light and heading out.

~*~*~

Chase’s companion on the ride over to the Fitzgerald’s tonight was John Coltrane. His style of jazz seemed to fit his mood, deep and thought provoking. It was important that this dinner went well. Kaleb had been talking about it since he accepted the invitation, so he knew how much it meant to him.

As he pulled in through the rod iron gates leading to the security hut, he lowered the music and rolled down the window.

“Good evening, Mr. Montgomery.” The guard greeted him cheerfully.

“How’s it going Max?”

“It’s going sir.” Being that Chase had been picking up Kaleb practically every day before he got his new car, most of the employees were familiar with him and the fact that he was Kaleb’s beau. “Hey, did you catch the game last night?” He asked as he jotted down Chase’s license plate number.

“No, I had to work late at the office. But I recorded it.”

“Don’t waste your time.” He waved dismissively. “Our team got stomped.” He chuckled humorlessly through a disgusted sigh. Chase laughed and shook his head.

“Ah, well, I didn’t miss anything then.”

“Nothing but a huge disappointment.” He replied. “You’re all set sir.”

“Thanks Max.”

“Oh…and enjoy dinner.” He smiled.

“Huh?”

“Kaleb’s excited…” Max shrugged.

“Ahhh….” Chase nodded his understanding as he slowly drove off.

As he pulled his silver Mercedes onto the cobblestone driveway, a warm smile appeared. He noticed the front door opening, and Kaleb stepping out anxiously waiting to greet him.

“It’s about time.” Kaleb scolded as he looked down at his watch. “I asked you not to be late, Chase.” He chided him.

“I’m sorry, baby I got…” Chase reached out to hug him.

“What, Chase…what?” Kaleb pouted and crossed his arms over his chest tightly as he twisted himself from Chase’s grasp. “You worked from home today for this reason, so you wouldn’t be late, and you’re late.” He complained disappointedly. “You have no excuse.”

“Okay.” Chase dropped his head and sighed. “I’m sorry, baby, really.” He apologized earnestly. “You’re right I worked from home so I could quit when I wanted to and I still got caught up.” Kaleb sighed trying to hide the smile and sparkle in his eyes from bubbling forth whenever he was around Chase.

“Can you please do better next time?” He beseeched before conceding and allowing Chase to pull him into a tight hug.

“I promise.” He whispered in Kaleb’s ear before searching out his lips. Though he tried to fight it, he gave in to Chase’s warm mouth that traced his neck and jaw line. Kaleb sighed and laced his fingers through the fine hairs that caressed the back of Chase’s neck as soon as their lips brushed against each other pulling him into a deep kiss.

He pulled back breathlessly; resting his forehead against Chase’s and smiled. “I missed you.” He grinned.

“I missed you too.” Chase nodded as he released his hold on him. “How was your day?”

“Busy…” Kaleb rolled his eyes toward the sky exhaustedly. “It’s the end of the month so we had a lot move out and Darla accepted a few more moms.”

“Wow…” Chase replied as he caressed Kaleb’s cheek getting lost in his beautiful smile. “Oh that reminds me. Speaking of moving....”

“Ahem…”

The sound coming from the doorway interrupted his thoughts. He glanced over Kaleb’s shoulder to find Helen standing there. She was dressed elegantly in a navy chiffon tea length designer dress, with black patent leather pumps. Her hair was pulled back in a classic up do. She was a very attractive woman. Chase could tell she must have been striking when she was younger.

“Kaleb, dear, don’t keep our guest standing outside. Please…come in.” She motioned them in her direction. Kaleb took Chase’s hand into his own and led him up the walkway. Horace soon joined his wife at the door with a warm welcoming smile.

“Chase, it’s so good to see you, young man.” Horace extended his hand cordially to greet his guest.

“Mr. Fitzgerald.” Chase replied as they exchanged a firm handshake. Chase then turned his attention to the Misses.

“Mrs. Fitzgerald, you look lovely this evening.” He complimented as he took her hand into his own. “Thank you for inviting me to dinner.” He smiled kindly.

“You’re welcome. We’re glad you accepted.” She forced a smile. “Dinner is on the table getting cold.” She stated stoically as she headed inside. Chase winced as he and Kaleb followed them in.

“Told you.” Kaleb giggled in a hushed tone before bumping Chase’s shoulder.

Shhh…” He placed his finger to his lip before giving him a sly wink.

To say the table was beautifully arranged and adorned with a wealth of food would be insulting. Of all the dinner parties Chase had attended, none of them could compare to what he was beholding at this moment. The six piece place setting consisting of expensive Crystal and imported China. The centerpiece was an arrangement of fresh cut roses from Helen’s garden. Adam and his wife Jenny were already seated; they stood quickly as they entered the dining room.

“Chase, it’s good to see you man.” Adam exclaimed as he reached over the table to shake his hand.

“Same here.” Chase replied with a short nod. “How’ve you been?”

“Great…great.” Adam replied. “You remember my wife, Jenny?” He smiled motioning for her to join them.

“I do.” Chase acknowledged as he reached for her hand. “It’s a pleasure to see you again.” He smiled charmingly as they shook hands.

“You too.” She smiled bashfully and lowered her head.

“I have to admit, when my dad called and said we were having you over for dinner, I misunderstood him and thought he said we were roasting you for dinner.” Adam whispered teasingly where only Chase could here before they sat down to the table.

“Yeah…right.” Chase grimaced as he used the back of his hand to wipe away the beads of perspiration dotting his brows.

Everyone took his or her respective seats. Horace sat at the head of the table, naturally with his wife on the opposite end of him while Chase sat across from Kaleb and Jenny across from Adam.

There were two bottles of wine, a Merlot and Riesling. The main course for the evening was Rack of lamb.

The evening progressed nicely, which was a pleasant surprise to Chase. He was grateful for the buffers. It was if on cue, whenever Helen started in on him everyone ran interference. However, the biggest “Save of Grace,” was when Helen tried to bring up the new car. Adam and his father jumped on that immediately, going on and on about how , “wonderful, safe and reliable,” Toyotas were, not to mention the fact that Kaleb was twenty-two years old and it was time to retire his bike.

Helen’s reply was, “If he really insisted on a car she would have gotten him one. A Jaguar or something of that nature.

Kaleb’s response. “I love my new Toy, because my boyfriend gave it to me.”

Jenny even had a hand in on the fun. She didn’t even mind the death stares Helen shot her. Not only did the family come to Chase’s defense but Kaleb’s as well, to keep the peace in front of company. That…proved to be a bit more challenging. Kaleb was used to defending himself against his mom. But as the old saying goes…’All good things must come to an end.’

So here they sat in the family Parlor having a drink…alone.

“Thank you, Mrs. Fitzgerald, dinner was amazing.” Chase smiled politely, before turning up his goblet and taking a sip. “My compliments to the chief.”

She returned the faux smile, “I’ll see that Luis gets the compliment.” She assured him as she daintily sipped her sherry.

“But we didn’t come in here to discus Luis’s culinary skills… did we?” Chase cleared his throat as he crossed one leg over the other trying to appear relaxed. Helen pressed her lips together coyly before setting her glass on the coffee table. Chase took in a deep breath as he waited for her to speak. He felt as if he was being bated, but for what he didn’t know. Whatever it was, it couldn’t be good, because she asked to see him alone. There was no one to prevent her from clawing his eyes out. He was completely at her mercy. Her voice actually startled him when she began to speak.

“It appears you’ve won my family over with the wit and charm, especially my younger son.” She informed him with a hint of brittleness in her tone.

“Ummm…” Chase nodded slowly as he too set his goblet down on the table beside him. This information wasn’t news to him.

“This dinner was my husband’s idea.” She stated with a sigh of irritation. “He felt if I gave you the chance to get to know you, that maybe it would change my impression of you.” She stated shaking her head with an emphatic NO.

“Let’s get this straight. I don’t like you any more now than I did when you sat down at my dinner table tonight. As a matter of fact I like you even less.” She smirked.

“Well at least I know where I stand with you…” Chase replied. “But, may I ask you a something?”

“Of course. Ask away.” She shrugged in a refined manor. She picked up her glass and placed it carefully in the palm of her hand before giving him an approving nod to continue.

“What is it about me? I mean what I have done to Kaleb or you for that matter.” He nodded toward the older woman. “I haven’t done anything to you and yet it’s clear you dislike me.” He stated respectfully. Helen smiled and took a small sip. “I really care about your son. He’s a wonderful man, and I know it would make him happy if we got along.”

“It would make him happy if we got along.” She repeated tartly. She ran her tongue over her cherry blossom covered lips, before pressing them together. “You speak for Kaleb now?” She questioned with a hint of sarcasm.

“No…He’s perfectly capable of speaking for himself.” He answered simply. “I was just…”

“Mr. Montgomery, I’m going to say this once and only once, so we have an understanding, and when we walk out of this room there will be no misinterpreting my intent.” She explained as she set her glass back on the table. She shifted her body in her seat so she was facing him. “I love my son dearly. Never doubt that. He’s my flesh and blood. I gave birth to him and the love I have for him will never change, never waver.” She stated convincingly. “I’m convinced he believes deep in his heart that he’s gay, and that is a lifestyle that I’ll never approve of…Never.” She stated adamantly with a sharp wave of the hand.

“I see.”

“No, Mr. Montgomery, you can’t possibly see.” She countered. “It’s not you I don’t like, it’s those like you and what you stand for. I am a Christian and I believe what the bible says about homosexually being a sin.” She stated with burning conviction. She casually used the back of her hand to push back the flyaway strains of hair that had fallen out of her neat bun. “My son has flaunted the fact that you two have taken your relationship to one of a physical nature.”

“I beg your pardon, Ma’am.” Chase defended quickly, “but I refuse to discuss that with you.”

“Oh don’t worry, Mr. Montgomery, I don’t want to hear the sorted details of your un-natural union. The thought of you gnawing and clawing all over my son repulses me.” She placed her hand to her chest and shivered with disgust. Chase closed his eyes tightly scratching behind his ear. It was all he could do to keep from going off on her. She was Kaleb’s mom and he wanted to show her respect. Everyone was entitled to his or her opinion and she was no different, but he could taste the blood in his mouth from biting his tongue. He pulled himself together taking a deep breath before speaking.

“Does Kaleb know how you feel about him?”

“I said I love my son. It’s not him that disgusts me; it’s the lifestyle he chooses to live.” She clarified.

“You can have one without the other?” Chase challenged. Helen opened her mouth to speak, and then closed it laughing mincingly.

“He says he loves you, you know?” She stated, purposely avoiding Chase’s questions. She stood gracefully, causing Chase to mimic her movements. She sauntered over to the large picture window that over looked the magnificent garden turning her back to him. Chase followed closely behind her yet respecting her personal space.

“You know, Mr. Montgomery, though I may not approve of Kaleb’s choices, I’m learning to pick my battles with him.” She smiled sheepishly as she played with the string of pearls draped around her neck. “He’s choosing you.” She informed him as she inhaled deeply. “He’s never been in a relationship before.”

“I know.” Chase acknowledged softly.

“If you hurt him.” She turned around so she was facing him. Her glare was stern and calculating. “If you hurt him.” She repeated with emphases. “I’ll have your balls in a sling and I have the means and power to do it, trust me…Chase.” She threatened as she gingerly ran her hand down his arm before turning to walk away.

“Mrs. Fitzgerald.” Chase’s voice captured her attention. She stopped short of the door.

“Call me Helen.” She instructed with her back still toward him

“Helen.” Chase repeated shyly. He closed his eyes tightly, trying to steady his shallow breathing. He swallowed the lump that was trying to lodge its way down his throat and exhaled deeply. “I love your son. I love Kaleb.” He admitted faintly as if he was revealing some horrible secret. Helen gasped lightly as she placed her hand on the doorknob and turned it slowly.

“You’re telling the wrong person, don’t you think.” She stated before she opened the door and stepped into the hallway closing the door behind her, leaving Chase alone with his confession.

TBC.
Could there be trouble on the horizons just as Chase and Kaleb relax into their feelings.
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I have to revise a quotation from a Bette Davis movie...."What a Bitch!"

Looks like Carter might be a fun time for us readers, and Chase and 'sigh' Ka...leb...'sigh' appear to need the services of a BitchDoctor, or

Exocist.......Helen is T R O U B L E...

 

Me likey!!!

Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 12:34 PM, Swhouston44 said:
I have to revise a quotation from a Bette Davis movie...."What a Bitch!"

Looks like Carter might be a fun time for us readers, and Chase and 'sigh' Ka...leb...'sigh' appear to need the services of a BitchDoctor, or

Exocist.......Helen is T R O U B L E...

 

Me likey!!!

I feel like doing my Sally Fields impression.."They like me...they really like me" :D Sighs, Helen is a Bitch in the truest form. She reminds me of one of those soap opera moms, always in their childrens business... Let's just hope he does't "chase", Chase away... and Kaleb is just :wub: Thanks for the review...I'm soooo glad you are still enjoying the story.

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 10/18/2011 01:16 PM, intune said:
That dinner sounds tense. I'm glad Kaleb and Chase are both sticking up for their relationship.
Intense indeed... intune. Kaleb and Chase will have obstacles in their way, but I agree I think it's cool the way the stand up for each other and their relationship

 

Thanks for the review

 

Kim :)

Link to comment

What a miserable woman. How on earth could she have possibly given birth to Kaleb? You have definitely increased the level of intensity. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night. (Great job, as usual.)worshippy.gif

Link to comment
On 10/19/2011 11:09 AM, charlieocho said:
What a miserable woman. How on earth could she have possibly given birth to Kaleb? You have definitely increased the level of intensity. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night. (Great job, as usual.)worshippy.gif
Indeed, Helen is miserable... poor lady. Yep there will be a few bumps in the road up head for Kaleb and Chase as with any relationship the question is how will our guys fare this is a new ball game for them both... So Charlieocho, fasten up and enjoy the ride...I hope. :)

 

Kim

Link to comment

This gets better and better. I love them to death. Well... not Helen but everyone else. ALthough even with helen I think she's truly trying to look out for her son so I can't see her as ALL bad. Things are moving on and I have a feeling that Chase is going to be asking Kaleb to move in with him soom. THAT is going to give Helen a coronoary for sure :)

Link to comment
On 10/31/2011 05:50 AM, Nephylim said:
This gets better and better. I love them to death. Well... not Helen but everyone else. ALthough even with helen I think she's truly trying to look out for her son so I can't see her as ALL bad. Things are moving on and I have a feeling that Chase is going to be asking Kaleb to move in with him soom. THAT is going to give Helen a coronoary for sure :)
Nephylim... :D Helen is in a class all by herself I think and I agree with ya, she is trying to look out for her son in her own way. Chase asking Kaleb to move in eh? Hummm...lol Thank you so much for reviewing...totally love it and get all....inside :D

 

Kim

Link to comment

Hi I'm back:) and started with this amazng chapter.. so much is going here! liked the first part . Kaleb and Chase seem so in tune and at ease when they are around eachother, it's fun to read!!loved the part about the coffe.. three scoops versus one.. haha.. but at least Kaleb is giving him this:) so Carter is back , hm... loved the realtionship between these two brothers. ...on a sidenote: had to laugh really loud about the part .....""if I was a horse they would have taken me out and shot me""", for a different reason, but still, i'm laughing. i really enjoyed the conversation between the brothers about Chase' relatonship. and it's so refreshing to read all the honest and ""from the bottom of his heart"" answers Chase give. he's so genuine with this , it's beautiful to read. and sometimes you really have to remind me that Kaleb has some kind of disability.

and than there was the dinner.. wow... i loved how supportive Kaleb's father and brother were.. but that last scene with Helen left me shivering. to read about how disgusted she is by that lifestyle, made me speechless. i 'm curious about the answer to Chase" question.. you can have one withouth the other??"" yes, i would love to hear the answer to that..hmmm it's hard to make my ming up about Helen... here i really hate her and her speech about ""that disgusting lifestyle"!!!!

thanks , as always Love and hugs <3 Annette

Link to comment
On 12/10/2011 03:48 AM, asonearth said:
Hi I'm back:) and started with this amazng chapter.. so much is going here! liked the first part . Kaleb and Chase seem so in tune and at ease when they are around eachother, it's fun to read!!loved the part about the coffe.. three scoops versus one.. haha.. but at least Kaleb is giving him this:) so Carter is back , hm... loved the realtionship between these two brothers. ...on a sidenote: had to laugh really loud about the part .....""if I was a horse they would have taken me out and shot me""", for a different reason, but still, i'm laughing. i really enjoyed the conversation between the brothers about Chase' relatonship. and it's so refreshing to read all the honest and ""from the bottom of his heart"" answers Chase give. he's so genuine with this , it's beautiful to read. and sometimes you really have to remind me that Kaleb has some kind of disability.

and than there was the dinner.. wow... i loved how supportive Kaleb's father and brother were.. but that last scene with Helen left me shivering. to read about how disgusted she is by that lifestyle, made me speechless. i 'm curious about the answer to Chase" question.. you can have one withouth the other??"" yes, i would love to hear the answer to that..hmmm it's hard to make my ming up about Helen... here i really hate her and her speech about ""that disgusting lifestyle"!!!!

thanks , as always Love and hugs <3 Annette

Totally dig the horse comment...funny how that happened...lol Chase and Kaleb are good together and the disability is what makes them good, I think. We all are looking for the real thing...it doesn't have to come in a perfect package, though Kaleb does phyically it's the emotional part that pulls Chase in. And his question to Helen is Valid. 'You say you love your son whose gay, but you hate his lifestyle... can you have one without the other...good question. :)Helen is a complexed person for sure. Carter is a cool brother, look for him in future chapters ;) Glad you enjoyed the chapter and lots of love right back at ya....

 

Kim

Link to comment

Helen is the perfect example of the Christian (or any religious) hypocrite that bashes gays for their deviant "choices" refusing to see the truth that being gay is NOT a choice but religious affiliation and beliefs are and why would anyone want to chose to believe in a system so bilious against a son one claims to love so thoroughly? Hit a raw nerve with this chapter this fine Boxing Day. Thanks for the tempestuous chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..