Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 3,558 Words
  • 6,843 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 7. Chapter 7

The bond between Kaleb and Chase grows stronger, but is the honeymoon stage over already...

“No…no, baby. I’m not saying you’re predictable.” Chase chuckled. “I’m just saying you usually have PB&J for lunch.” He declared while trying to stifle his laughter as he imagined the playful frown on Kaleb’s face.

Well….smarty pants we were out of jelly so I had to make tuna.” Kaleb retorted with attitude lacing his tone. “What are you having for lunch?” He asked. Chase could hear commotion in the background along with the whimper of a small child.

“I’m meeting someone for….Wait,” he knitted his brows together, “what are you doing?”

I’m…” Kaleb started to explain. “Hold on.” He said a little distraught putting the phone down before giving him a reply. Chase smiled as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel waiting patiently as he continued down the road.

Okay.” Kaleb said slightly winded upon returning to the phone.

“Are you okay?”

Yeah. I was changing Lilly’s diaper.” He explained. “I don’t think her mom is changing her enough at night. She has a little rash.” He expressed somewhat distractedly. “There, sweetie, all better.” Chase heard him coo to the baby.

“Sounds like you’ve got your hands full. I’m going to let you go, I’m almost there anyway.” Chase stated.

Oh…okay. Will I see you tonight?”

“Of course.” He confirmed. “Are you sure, you don’t want me to pick you up from the shelter? I mean we could spend more time together that way.” Chase stated in an attempt to persuade him.

Helen would have a fit.” Kaleb chuckled.

“Since when do you care?” Chase countered.

“I don’t. But you catch more bees with honey.” Kaleb advised.

“True.” Chase laughed. “When you’re right you’re right. Anyway, babe, I’ll pick you up for dinner at the same time.”

Okay…see you tonight.” Kaleb said as he ended the call. Chase shook his head in amusement as he closed his phone shoving it in his pocket.

It had been two weeks since their first date and life for the both of them seemed to be busier than ever. It appeared to be too much life going on and not enough living for Chase's liking, however things with Kaleb were going well. They were settling into their relationship smoothly. He was eager to learn everything about Kaleb including his favorite foods. After the last mishap the first question, he asked before making the dinner reservations, was did they have cheeseburgers and cheese sticks on the menu.

Dating Kaleb was much different from Lance or even Scott. Even though he felt like every move he made was being monitored, it didn't deflect from the excitement he was experiencing, the excitement of...dating. It was a feeling he hadn't felt since high school and the fact that Helen insisted he have Kaleb home by eleven just enhanced that feeling even more.

Their evenings together always ended too soon. He thought about how just once he would love to take Kaleb home with him and hold him 'til they fell asleep. His only consolation was their nightly phone calls. He and Kaleb would talk until he heard the steady breathing on the other end of the phone letting him know Kaleb had fallen asleep on him. He didn't mind; he thought it was cute, but then again he thought everything Kaleb did was cute.

He heard it said, "There is someone for everyone," and this was a saying Chase was starting to embrace. It was as if he was free falling and he wasn't afraid of hitting the ground. Well, that was not until he got the call this morning. He was actually surprised he hadn't received it sooner.

He pulled up to the valet in front of Catch 35, right on time. He didn't want to be late for this lunch date. Once inside the establishment he was escorted to the posh wine cellar that was used for private "business lunches.”

He didn’t know why but for some reason as soon as he saw him he felt intimidated. This was so not like him. He came up against powerful people every day in the courtroom. However, this man…Kaleb’s father exuded power. He sat there in his designer pined striped gray suit with one leg crossed over the other, sipping casually on something in a short glass filled with cracked ice.

“Mr. Montgomery?” He stood to his feet and immediately extended his hand to shake Chase’s. Chase’s first response was to run his hand down the side of his pant leg to remove the wetness covering his palm, or not shake hands at all, but that would be rude.

“Mr. Fitzgerald.” Chase forced a nervous smile as they shook hands. He was impressed by Horace’s firm grip.

“Please, sit down.” Horace gestured to the empty chair. He waited for Chase to sit before reclaiming his own.

“Thank you.” Chase nodded trying not to appear as nervous as he felt.

“What’s your pleasure?” Horace nodded to the rolls of bottled wine that adorned the wall behind him.

“Um…” Chase was about to decline.

“Come on it will take the edge off.” Horace encouraged with a kind smile.

“Okay….I’m a Riesling kind of guy, so….” He shrugged casually. He felt himself starting to relax as he settled back in his chair.

“Nice…” Just as he glanced up the server was entering the room. She had two menus tucked under her arm and a glass of iced water in her hand.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Montgomery, I’m Sara and I’ll be serving you and Mr. Fitzgerald.” She smiled over to the other guest as she sat the water in front of him. “Would you like a glass of wine or a cocktail, while you look over the menu?”

“Yes…Riesling please.”

“Your best.” Horace insisted.

“Of course.” She smiled politely. “I’ll give you time to look over the menu, and I’ll be right back with your drink, sir.” She promised before heading out. Both men watched her leave before turning their attention back to each other.

Horace took a sip from his glass while Chase mimicked his movement reaching for his water, neither man saying a word. It was as if one was sizing up the other. A moment of silence was shared between them, it wasn’t an uncomfortable one, it just was. Chase couldn’t help but notice how good Horace looked for a man his age. From what he could see, Horace was in good shape for an old guy. The thing that stood out and was most striking was his eyes. He had Kaleb’s eyes; or rather, Kaleb has his eyes. Those piercing pale blue eyes that are so clear you could almost see inside them.

“Thank you for agreeing to have lunch with me.” He heard Horace say pulling him from his haze.

“Thank you for the invitation.” Chase smiled, “I would have been surprised if you hadn’t called.” He replied inciting a short laugh from Horace.

“Well, to be honest it was my wife’s idea.” He admitted; this time he received a light scoff from Chase as he took another sip of water.

“Okay…”

“She’s concerned about Kaleb, you understand.” He stated more than questioned as if it should be obvious.

“I understand it, I do.” Chase declared. “Kaleb is an incredible man.” He stressed the word man. “And she doesn’t want him to get hurt. I get that.”

“It’s a little deeper than that.” Horace stated. He sat up straight in his seat, about to speak when Sara entered the room carrying the glass of Riesling.

“Thank you.” Chase gestured as she sat the glass down in front of him.

“Are you two ready to order or do you need more time?” She asked looking between them.

“Give us more time, please, Sara.” Horace suggested.

“No problem.”

“As I was saying.” Horace cleared his throat after Sara left the room. “Our son is different.”

“So I keep hearing.” Chase replied his voice taking on a hint of irritation, one that didn’t go unnoticed by Horace. “I beg your pardon sir, but if one more person calls Kaleb different, or special.” He used air quotes. “I think I’m going to scream.”

“Excuse me…”

“I get it, trust me I do. I did my research on those with mental and intellectual disabilities but only because I felt like everyone was shoving it down my throat.” He stated honestly. Horace nodded his understanding as he turned up his glass again.

“What really irritates me is the fact that when people look at Kaleb all they see is that he’s different or special. That’s not what I see though. I see a gorgeous young man.” Horace arched his brow crossing his arms across his chest as a protective father would.

“I’m sorry but I do.” Chase smirked. “I see a man who is compassionate, caring, and selfless. I mean have you seen him with those kids at the shelter? He’s amazing.” He stressed. Horace continued to listen; hanging on Chase’s every word, smiling approvingly as he expressed himself. It appeared that Chase had a lot of pent up frustration.

“They love being around him. It’s like he makes their world better.” He sighed. “And oh my god, he speaks French…fluently.” He added.

“Yes…I know.” Horace laughed.

“What am I thinking?” Chase chided himself. “Of course you know.” He sighed. “He’s witty and most importantly, he’s honest. Painfully so at times, but I’d rather deal with that then the bull shit people like to sell.”

“I totally understand.” Horace admitted. “I deal with it every day. It’s hard to trust anyone anymore.” He stated disappointingly. “So you see my wife’s dilemma?”

“I guess. It’s just frustrating because I wish she could see Kaleb through my eyes then she would know.”

“Know what?” Horace inquired genuinely. Chase eyed him cautiously before speaking.

“Know there’s no way I would ever hurt him…I couldn’t.” He sighed. “I can’t explain it…I wish I could. It’s like that one you meet and you just know. In spite of… I’m willing to give it a shot”

“I see.”

“Do you?” Chase questioned.

“Yes, I do, now Helen, she’s going to be a little tougher to convince.” He stated compassionately. “She’s his mother. She’s overly protective of him.”

“I know.”

“She wants to protect him from the world. If she could keep him on a shelf like a porcelain doll, dust him off every now and then, she would. He’s our miracle child. We almost lost him twice while she was giving birth.” Chase sighed softly as he listened to Horace explain.

“I honestly feel she’s dealing with missed placed guilt, like somehow she feels his condition is her fault, you know?” He said sadly.

“So she over compensates.” Chase nodded thoughtfully.

“Pretty much. It’s been worse as he’s gotten older. He challenges her a lot more.”

“Well he is twenty-two. He’s not a kid anymore.” Chase offered.

“Tell her that.” Horace laughed humorlessly. “I’m not sure who I feel sorrier for, them or me?” He sighed now taking a sip of his watered down drink.

“I’d go with you. I’ve gone up against your wife, and trust me she doesn't bite her tongue.” Chase chuckled softly.

“I know.” Horace laughed. “I think that's where Kaleb gets it from.” He stated thoughtfully. “You know, I’m not too up on this homosexual thing…gay whatever you call it. But Kaleb swears he’s beenit since he could talk.” He laughed reflectively. “I actually think he rubs it in his mother’s face because he knows she’s not comfortable with it.” He smirked.

“I have to admit I had concerns rather he would ever meet someone worthy of him, but I like you." He said with a quick nod. “You've got back bone and you stand for something. You agreed to meet me without hesitation, and you stood up to Helen. I like that.”

“Oh trust me, I’m totallynot worthy, just lucky he picked me that’s all.” Chase saluted his glass.

~*~*~

“So who are we rooting for again?” Kaleb asked through a mouthful of buttery popcorn even as he reached over Chase’s head grabbing a handful more.

"The team in red."

"But they're losing.” Kaleb pointed out between chews. Chase gave an exaggerated sigh.

"That's why we're rooting for them.” He stressed teasingly.

"Oh...” Kaleb shrugged as he shifted his body against Chase's back. He was using him as a human pillow as they lay on the floor watching the basketball game. Tonight they opted to stay at Chase's place for the evening, order pizza, and hot wings and watch the game. "Mmmm...” Your hair smells nice.” Kaleb complimented as he inhaled deeply. Kaleb's warm breath against his neck sent chills down Chase's spine causing a twitching in his groin. He breathed a sigh of relief as Kaleb rolled off his back feeling a release of pressure off his hardened erection that was pressed firmly between him and the floor.

He didn't fare any better when he looked into Kaleb's eyes that looked as if they were asking for something.

"What...” He asked breathlessly getting lost in a sea of blue.

"Kiss me.” Kaleb answered as his eyes fluttered closed.

"Okay..."Chase's voice was barely audible.

Tonight was the first time they spent the evening entirely alone and though Chase was trying to be a gentleman, the sparks were already ignited. Kaleb had been grinding against him innocently the whole time he was lying on his back. He wondered if the innocence in those eyes knew what they were asking? How could a simple request seem anything but? He quickly learned Kaleb loved to kiss. However, those kisses were starting to take its toll, starting to weaken his resolve.

He leaned over feeling Kaleb shift his body forcing it under his own. He hoped the pounding of his heart couldn't be felt as he lowered his head, bringing their lips firmly together. His mouth was soft and warm as Chase pressed his tongue inside seeking out the taste he craved.

Kaleb gasped taking in a sharp breath of air causing Chase to pull away though wanting more. Their kiss was anything but sweet, and was becoming more desperate sending Chase's heart racing. He felt Kaleb press his hips up against him teasingly before pulling back.

"I feel it...” He whispered in his ear before kissing him hungrily on the neck and shoulder.

"Umhumm...” Chase moaned before attacking Kaleb's lips once more. He forced his arm under Kaleb pulling him flush against him. He deepened the kiss receiving an approving moan from his partner.

The vibrating on the table was a bit distracting. The more Chase tried to ignore it the louder it got.

"Your phone...” Kaleb panted as he broke the kiss. It was as if his voice fell on deaf ears, all he received were a few muffled moans as Chase sought out his lips. He pushed him off, his tone slightly irritated "Chase... your phone. It's distracting me.” He pouted scooting from under him.

"Fuck...” Chase sighed as he combed his fingers through his hair. "Don't you dare move.” He instructed before kissing Kaleb on the forehead. He glanced back over his shoulder longingly one last time before picking up the phone.

"Montgomery.” He answered dejectedly as he dropped down on the sofa.

"Hey, sis what's up?” He asked as he rested his head in the palm of his hand. "What?” His voice was now laced with concern.

"What's the matter?” Kaleb whispered upon hearing the distress in his tone.

"Okay...” Chase nodded his understanding as he pushed himself off the sofa. He motioned for Kaleb to follow him as he headed down the hall while continuing.

Kaleb entered the room to find Chase in the closet. "Is everything okay?” He asked timidly with a look of consternation as he noticed the overnight bag on the bed.

"It's my dad.” Chase replied walking out, carrying a few white shirts on hangers. "He's in the hospital." He said as he laid the shirts on the bed.

“Oh…Is it serious?” Kaleb asked while setting down. He watched as Chase hurriedly moved about the room. He picked up the shirts and started pulling them off the hangers.

“Yeah…” Chase sighed as he pulled underwear and socks from the drawer. “He has Cholangiocarcino.” Chase replied as he took a deep breath.

“Cholangawhata….” Kaleb frowned through knitted brows while he folded Chase’s shirts neatly.

“Bile Duct Cancer…” Chase clarified before heading into the restroom.

“Oh my god, Chase, I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Yeah…He’s been dealing with it for almost four years.” He said as he walked out carrying his shaving bag. “It doesn’t look good.” He sighed regretfully. Kaleb’s frown deepened as he noticed the tears in Chase’s eyes about to fall. He exhaled slowly putting the shirts in a neat stack before walking toward him.

“I’m sorry…” He whispered as he wrapped his arms around Chase’s waist. He sighed softly as he rested his head against his chest. They stood there holding each other. Kaleb closed his eyes tightly feeling helpless as he felt a tear slide down his forehead past his eye. He glanced up locking gazes. The vibrant green eyes now red and puffy.

“I need to get you home.” Chase said faintly using the back of his hand to catch the last few tears.

“I want to come with you. You need me.” Kaleb voiced as he followed Chase over to the bed. He handed him his shirts, watching as Chase packed them.

“Thank you, baby, but….” He shrugged forcing a smile. He shoved his shaving kit inside the bag giving the room one last glance over making sure he wasn’t forgetting anything before zipping it up.

“But I want to go.” Kaleb insisted as Chase handed him the garment bag that carried his suit and other dress shirts and slacks.

“I need you to take care of yourself while I’m gone…okay?” Chase stared down into Kaleb’s pleading eyes.

“But….” He muttered as he followed his boyfriend out. “At least let me stay here and clean up.” Kaleb suggested as he glanced around the room that was littered with pizza boxes and a half-eaten bowl of popcorn.

“I have a cleaning person, she can handle it... It’s what I pay her for.” He said forcing a smile.

“But I want to do something.” Kaleb expressed, slumping his shoulders feeling useless.

“Okay.” Chase smiled as he turned off the television. “You can make my plane reservations as I’m taking you home.”

“You mean call the airline?”

“Yeah…You don’t mind, do you?”

“Of course not.” Kaleb smiled genuinely as Chase handed him his cell phone.

“The number is programmed under United.” Chase informed him as he cut off the lights. “Ready?” He asked nodding toward the door before taking Kaleb’s hand.

“I guess…”

Chase ushered for Kaleb to go first as he opened the door. He stepped aside allowing him to pass before closing the door behind them.

 

“Yes ma’am, that’s it.” Kaleb smiled sadly. “Thank you.” He sighed taking a deep breath as he closed the phone before turning to Chase. “It done. Your plane leaves at 11:40 so that gives you plenty of time after you drop me off.” He explained as he sat the phone down on the console between them.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Kaleb forced a smile as he relaxed back in his seat. The ride to his house was unusually quiet. There was no music, Chase loves his jazz. There was no conversation. Even though he understood completely it broke his heart. He watched as Chase gripped and release the steering wheel absentmindedly. His jaw was clinched tight; it was as if he was a thousand miles away right now. Chase was hurting and there was nothing he could do about it.

“Will you call me?” His voice broke his own thoughts.

“Of course…” Chase glanced over taking his eyes off the road for a brief moment.

“I hope your dad is alright.” He sighed.

“Thank you, baby, but I don’t think so.” Chase admitted sadly. “My sister said the doctors told her to contact his family members. I just hope I make it in time.”

“You will…” Kaleb assured him as he reached over the console taking Chase’s hand into his. He clasped their fingers together receiving a firm squeeze from his boyfriend.

~*~*~

“I’ll call you.” Chase promised.

“Okay.” Kaleb nodded through a deep sigh.

Chase smiled admiringly into Kaleb’s blue eyes as if he was taking it all to memory. He cupped Kaleb’s cheek in the palm of his hand before caressing it tenderly. Kaleb closed his eyes relishing Chase’s touch. His breath hitched as he felt warm soft lips against his own. It was brief and bittersweet, leaving him breathless.

His eyes fluttered open to find a pair of magnificent green ones staring at him. It was as if his eyes were saying something, but what?

“You need to get inside; I don’t want to miss my plane.” He heard Chase say.

“Okay…” Kaleb nodded. He glanced back over his shoulder one last time before he got out of the car.

He sighed combing his fingers through his hair, watching patiently as Chase passed the security gates. He felt alone as he watched the lights of Chase’s car disappear into the night.

TBC...

One good turn deserves another...
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am always left with a comforting feeling whenever I finish one of these chapters. Everything feels so right. I am sure it won't last. I predict the two of them will overcome all the odds, in the end, however. Great job of writing!:worship:

Link to comment
On 09/11/2011 06:32 AM, charlieocho said:
I am always left with a comforting feeling whenever I finish one of these chapters. Everything feels so right. I am sure it won't last. I predict the two of them will overcome all the odds, in the end, however. Great job of writing!:worship:
Awwww.....that gives me the warm fuzzies. Truly glad you are enjoying the story, that's what it's all about. They will have their issues, what couple doesn't, but they come from good stock,and they seem to know what they want...so we'll see... I appriciate ya. Kim
Link to comment

That was SUCH a sweet chapter. Bittersweet at the end. THat last image of Kaleb watching Chase drive away is just so sad.

Link to comment
On 09/15/2011 08:00 AM, Nephylim said:
That was SUCH a sweet chapter. Bittersweet at the end. THat last image of Kaleb watching Chase drive away is just so sad.
Yep their test is coming...it's time to step up to the plate and see what they are made of...
Link to comment
On 09/26/2011 03:04 PM, intune said:
One second everything is going great and the next everything changes again. Just like life sometimes sceptic.gif
Life is forever changing, you never know what to expect, you just have to hope you're ready when that time comes... Kaleb is determined to be the best boyfriend he can be to Chase, and thats a good start..
Link to comment

evertime i see Kaleb with the babys it puts a smile on my face. he is so great and caring with them. he's better than some of the parents and yet, he is the one who gets treated like a child from his own parents

i like how serious Chase is about the ""dating"" thing with Kaleb. he wants to get to know him better and he is patient and careful. sure it's different to Scott, but he is rewarded but this excitement of dating :) but come on, Kaleb has to be home by eleven ..urghhhh

the Lunch date between Horave and Chase was unexpected but nothing but boring..lol.. you gave a few great topics out here, which i would like to discuss.. just a few ..first the insight on Kaleb's mom, the dealinf with missed placed guilt, and losing Kaleb almoet twice, while she was giving birth.. yes, i get to a certain degree that she's over protective... but still

another great topic you pointed out is to deal with the honesty, or rather trust other people.. that's really something to think abour. Horace deals with this honesty every day, but he know what he gets.. with ""normal"" people thats different, well most of the time..:(

well all good thing come to an end, right.. so you give us a last scene with a homey Chase and kaleb but now it gets worse and i'm sorry for Chase's dad. i liked how protective Kaleb got here, he just wanted to help and be there for his boyfriend even if it's just to clean up..how cute.. i 'm a little sad to see them both so sad and unhappy and i'm curious where you take this ... Thanks worshippy.gif you made a bad day better for me :)

Link to comment
On 10/12/2011 01:25 AM, asonearth said:
evertime i see Kaleb with the babys it puts a smile on my face. he is so great and caring with them. he's better than some of the parents and yet, he is the one who gets treated like a child from his own parents

i like how serious Chase is about the ""dating"" thing with Kaleb. he wants to get to know him better and he is patient and careful. sure it's different to Scott, but he is rewarded but this excitement of dating :) but come on, Kaleb has to be home by eleven ..urghhhh

the Lunch date between Horave and Chase was unexpected but nothing but boring..lol.. you gave a few great topics out here, which i would like to discuss.. just a few ..first the insight on Kaleb's mom, the dealinf with missed placed guilt, and losing Kaleb almoet twice, while she was giving birth.. yes, i get to a certain degree that she's over protective... but still

another great topic you pointed out is to deal with the honesty, or rather trust other people.. that's really something to think abour. Horace deals with this honesty every day, but he know what he gets.. with ""normal"" people thats different, well most of the time..:(

well all good thing come to an end, right.. so you give us a last scene with a homey Chase and kaleb but now it gets worse and i'm sorry for Chase's dad. i liked how protective Kaleb got here, he just wanted to help and be there for his boyfriend even if it's just to clean up..how cute.. i 'm a little sad to see them both so sad and unhappy and i'm curious where you take this ... Thanks worshippy.gif you made a bad day better for me :)

Danke, Nettie Poo. I'm really happy that you are enjoying Shades of Gray. I tell Chase is in for one hell of a ride and he doesn't even realize it which we will see in the future. Kaleb has this efect on him that he can't put a handle on, but as you mentioned the reward is always great. Helen is a little over protective and with Horace's explanation it makes the picture a little clearer, but she still is a bit over the top with it. lol And the children, Kaleb loves them to death, and is wonderful with them. I'd say he make a great father one day...ya think, ;) oh and unfortunatly as Scott will soon find out, he's no match for Kaleb, and Kaleb isn't even trying hard. hahah

 

 

 

PS: yes we will be taking soon...gotta finalize some things...right :D

Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 05:03 AM, Frostina said:
:( he wants soo much to help. why can't things be easier?? *sigh*

I hope things get easier, tho! :)

He does...I love the fact that he's excited about having his first boyfriend... It's totally cool..
Link to comment

Kaleb has so much to offer and give. I'm glad his father sees it even if his mother won't. They are mutually lucky to have found one another. Thanks again.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..