Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 3,452 Words
  • 7,358 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 2. Chapter 2

Chase can't get Kaleb off his mind...

Chase stepped into the Grand Hall located in downtown Chicago a little later than expected. It was partly because he was in the office working on client flies longer than he anticipated, but mostly because he had to force himself to come. Tonight he just didn’t feel like pretending he gave a damn when he clearly didn’t. Didn’t feel like smiling and pretending to be interested in what they had to say. He wasn’t in the mood for the “Fakers and Shakers,” as he liked to call them.

It wasn’t as if he didn’t appreciate their business and he knew Scott was right sometimes he needed to mingle, be seen with the ‘Upper Echelon,’ after all it was most of the people in this room that afforded him the lifestyle he had become accustomed to.

He glanced over to his right noticing Charlotte Studmont. Of the Who’s Who, Scott spoke of; she was definitely at the top of that list. There wasn’t a week that went by where she wasn’t in the Socials section of the Chicago Tribune. Charlotte was considered one of the wealthiest women in Chicago thanks to Chase. Hers was a messy divorce from an Oil Tycoon from Texas, one that kept Chase burning the midnight oil on many nights but in the end, it paid off… for them both. Being an Attorney of Family Law proved to be a “Gold Mine” for Chase.

He smiled and gave a slight nod to one of the local Senators and his wife as he stepped further into the elegant room. People mingled about gracefully. The soft lighting accentuated everyone’s silhouette making them all appear beautiful. Women adorned in their ‘designer’ after five apparel, while the men downed dressed just a little in their expensive sports jacket and slacks, everyone had either a glass or small crystal hors d'oeuvre plate in their hand as they moved about with poise.

The ballroom over looked the magnificent skyline of downtown and off in the distance you could see the Navy Pier and Lake Michigan. The view was indeed breathtaking. A jazzy rendition of Dave Brubeck’s, classic ‘Take Five’ serenaded the guest creating the perfect ambiance.

“Champagne…Wine?” The voice was soft and non-intrusive. Chase turned around receiving a polite nod and kind smile from the wine waiter.

“Sure.” Chase returned the smile as he carefully reached for the tall flute half filled with a pale yellow sparkling drink. He took a quick sip nodding his approval. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. The young man replied as he turned to walk away.

“Um..wait.” Chase said reaching for another glass. “Thank you.” He sighed before taking another sip. After being stopped and greeted several times, he finally made his way over to the large window highlighting the horizon. The clear night sky was an amazing shade of blue, with a dusting of stars that went as far as Chase’s eyes could see. He gave a forlorn sigh as he took another sip of champagne from one of his glasses. It was happening again. Kaleb Fitzgerald was invading his thoughts. The way his eyes sparkled like diamonds as he played with the children, the look of innocence in them. He remembered the way he sat there eating lunch, as if everything in his world was all right, a look of peace graced his features. He knitted his brows thoughtfully before hearing a familiar voice invading his reverie.

“Hey there Counselor…” Scott smiled sexily as he leaned forward into Chase’s personal space.

“Hey…” Chase returned the smile.

Scott held out a small place, “Thought you might be hungry.” He said replacing one of the glasses with the place of appetizers. Willingly surrendering his glass, Chase asked. “What do we have here?” He beamed eyeing the Oysters Rockefeller and garlic seasoned crab claws on the small plate.

Scott bounced his brows teasingly. “You like?” He questioned both curious and suggestive. Scott stood a tab shorter than Chase; his big brown eyes were trained on the object of his desire. In his mid thirties, Scott was a very handsome man. He wore his short blond tresses neat and trimed with just a little mousse giving him that tamed yet wild appearance. He attributed his lean body void of any fat to the fact that he was a true vegetarian. Though, he prepared the finest beef, pork and poultry he had no desire to eat them what so ever, not even fish, his true passion was the man standing before him.

“Of course I like…” Chase laughed as he handed Scott the other glass. He grabbed a claw carefully dipping it in the thimble of butter before placing it into his mouth. “Mmmm….” He moaned as his eyes rolled in his head. “This is great.”

“Thank you.” Scott smiled proudly. “You’re late.” He said changing the subject as if Chase wasn’t aware of the fact.

“I know.” Chase replied as he peeled the oyster off its shell placing it on his tongue. “I got caught up at the office.” He exhaled slowly through his nose as he savored the flavors of aged parmesan cheese and crusted butter that coated it. “This is heavenly.” He uttered reaching for one of his glasses. He downed the last of the champagne and quickly placed the empty flute on the tray as the server walked past. Scott laughed in amusement and shook his head.

“I think I’m gonna head out soon.” Chase stated as he glanced around the crowded room.

“But you just got here.” Scott countered through a disapproving frown.

“I know, but I’m exhausted.” Chase lied avoiding Scott’s questioning gaze and arched brow.

“What?” Chase shrugged in defense. “I’m tired.” Scott sighed loudly scanning Chase’s eyes for the truth.

“Okaayyy…” He conceded. “Just mingle a little before you go. Make your presence know, okay.” He said with pleading.

“Fine. But I really don’t see the need of being at all these functions I feel like I’m crashing the place.” Chase explained. “I mean I turn down enough invitations as it is.”

“I understand, Chase, but these are powerful people and when they need a lawyer who do you think they’ll call. It’ll be like ‘Ah Chase Montgomery from the party’.” Scott grinned.

Chase pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. He didn’t want to sound harsh so he choose his words carefully. “Listen Scott, not to sound ungrateful but I have plenty of clients already. Some I owe to being at parties like this, getting my name out there, and I thank you for pushing me.” He smiled warming into Scott’s receiving eyes. “I’m good at what I do, because I know the laws like the back of my hand and I work hard” He stressed, “that’s how I get my clients my reputation precedes me.” He stressed. “This…” He glanced around the room again. “This is your thing not mine. You like the glamour, the hype.” He shrugged.

“I’m only trying to help…”

“I know that.” Chase sighed. Seeing the sadness in Scott’s eyes, he reached up to caress his cheek, but reconsider, slowly lowering his hand down to his side he didn’t want to draw attention to them with a public display of affection. It wasn’t that he was ashamed of who he was, he was just respectful.

“This is not who I am, and you know it.” He said referring to his surroundings. “I just want to practice law, help as many people as I can and have fun doing it. Sure hit a party here and there but that’s about it.” He added casually. “You know I’d rather be at home enjoying some take out, watching a game, any game.”

“I know...” Scott smiled understandingly into Chase’s green eyes. “But do me a favor before you leave. Stop by and see Dr. Collins over there.” He pointed over Chase’s shoulder to the portly balding older man standing by the bar. “His daughter is looking for a good attorney and I told him you were the best.” He smiled brightly. “And you were going to be here tonight. So as a favor to me please go and introduced yourself.”

“Oh of course I will, Scott. Please don’t take what I said the wrong way.”

“I’m not.” Scott assured him. He kissed his fingers before placing them on Chase’s arm giving him a sly wink. “I’ll see you later.” He confirmed more than asked.

“Sure…” Chase smiled. He watched Scott get lost in the crowd until he was no longer in his sight sighing heavily before turning his attention to the doctor. He smirked biting on his lower lip as the thought of Kaleb came to his mind yet again this evening as he made his way over.

It had been over an hour since he and Dr. Robert Collins had started talking. The conversation started out with Rachel Robert’s daughter wanting to get a divorce, nothing to heavy actually. According to her father, she just wanted to get what was fair in the settlement, which included the house, the car, custody of the children, child support, and alimony. Based on the information Chase was given he was sure that could easily be arranged, of course he would have to talk with Rachel himself before officially taking the case. During their chat he’d managed to shift gears to his topic of choice…Kaleb.

“Okay so let me get this straight.” Chase said enthusiastically sitting back in his chair as he crossed one leg over the other getting comfortable. “People that have been diagnosed with mental illnesses are capable of being in healthy relationships? I mean like you normal?” He asked hesitantly. Robert held his belly as he laughed heartily at Chase’s question as if it was the dumbest question he’d ever heard.

“But of course young man.” He continued as his laughter died down to a soft chuckle. “Of course that would depend on the severity of the illness. But sure.” He nodded affirmatively. “And we’re not talking about Autism right?” He asked with an arched brow.

“No sir. I don’t think so.” Chase replied thoughtfully.

“Good. Because I don’t know much about that. That’s not my pay grade.” He laughed, inciting laughter from Chase as well.

”I understand. Ask me anything about family law, and I’ve got ya, but this…”

“I have a few colleagues I can get you in contact with that can help, if you want.” Robert offered.

“Thank you, but that won’t be necessary.” Chase graciously declined the offer.

“Well, if you change your mind, just let me know.” The doctor said before turning his glass of aged scotch to his lips. Chase smiled and nodded mimicking his moves as he took a sip of his wine.

 

~*~*~

Chase laid in bed, his mind a million miles away. They say life is full of surprises and truer words were never spoken. He rested his head against his pillow, his legs out straight one resting over the other while absent-mindedly drumming his fingers on his chest. He glanced over to the bathroom door hearing the sound of water running and Scott moving around inside and sighed.

When he met Scott two years ago, he wasn’t ready for a relationship, he had just gotten out of one and he wasn’t ready to commit again so soon. The relationship didn’t end on bad terms, it was mutual. Lance was an engineer for a large corporation in Chicago. He was made manager of the East coast division and was moved to New York City. They took turns commuting but after the first six months they both became bogged down with work and those trips became less frequent. Chase remained true to his commitment and he was sure Lance did as well, but as the old saying goes, “Keeping in touch is not the same as being touched.”

They finalized their decision to end their relationship, as it was when Lance was offered a position overseas, it was an offer he would be a fool to refuse. When he took Lance to the airport Chase knew in his heart that he would never see him again. He wasn’t bitter, nor did he feel dejected in anyway, he just knew it would be a while before he was ready to give his heart to anyone without some sort of guarantee, ‘a sure thing as it were’.

Scott was kind, loving and patient and understood him more then he understood himself sometimes. He often stated that he knew Chase was worth the wait, but after two years Chase wasn’t so sure, by now Scott should have been able to break down that protective wall that encased his heart…

“So tell me about this client with the mental thing going on.” Scott said peeking around the corner his face covered with an oatmeal mask.

“Huh….” Chase blinked coming back to the present. “What did you say?” Scott grabbed a small towel before padding over to the bed wearing only a pair of silk paisley lounging pants.

“Doc said you two had a wonderful time. His daughter will be calling you by the way.” He nodded feeling rather pleased with himself. Chase smiled as he scooted over allowing Scott room to sit.

“Yeah, it was nice, and I look forward to working with his daughter.”

“See what hanging out with me does for you.” Scott teased bumping shoulders with Chase before tossing the towel over his own.

"Yeah…yeah. But.” Chase squinted at Scott in a reprimanding tone.

“I know. I know, it’s not your thing.” He rolled his eyes, sighing in defeat before kissing Chase on the mouth. “Anyway tell me about this client.” He inquired as he lazily traced circles on Chase’s stomach causing it to quiver under his touch.

“What client?” Chase asked his voice slightly shaken.

“The one with the mental issues…” Scott replied as if it was obvious. He shook his head disbelievingly as he stood to his feet.

“I don’t have a client with mental issues.” Chase clarified. He smiled rising up on his elbows as he watched Scott disappear into the bathroom.

“Oh I just thought….” Chase heard Scott say from the other room. He sighed falling back onto the bed.

“Did you know old man Fitzgerald had a young son?” He asked quizzically.

“He has several young sons.” Scott stressed above the running water.

“I know, but this son is really young, younger than us.”

“Oh. You’re talking about…” Chase waited for him to continue as he heard Scott shuffling about. After a couple of minutes Scott appeared rubbing facial moisturizer on his face and neck. “Kaleb Fitzgerald.” He stated matter of factly. He tousled his fingers through his hair before cutting off the light and making his way over to Chase.

“Wait…You know about him?” Chase asked wide-eyed.

“Of course.” Scott laughed as he pulled the covers back on the bed. “Everyone knows about Kaleb.”

“I didn’t.” Chase said more to himself.

“Except for you of course.” Scott teased as he fluffed his pillow. He turned on his side facing Chase, resting his head in the palm of his hand. “Where did you meet him?”

“He works with the children at Star of Hope.” Chase replied somewhat distracted. He turned on his side to face Scott, he too resting his face in his hand. “So everyone knows about Kaleb?”

“Yep…I mean he’s not a secret, Chase.” He smirked.

“I know…It’s just…” He let the statement hang; even he didn’t know what he was going to say.

“I’ve actually met him a few times.”

Chase rose up further, his interest clearly piqued “Really…” He questioned.

“Yes…” Scott laughed humorously.

“What’s he like?” Chase asked, curiosity evident his tone.

“I don’t know...I mean.” Scott shrugged causally. “I catered his parent’s 55thanniversary dinner and he was there.” He stated nonchalantly.

“Humm…” Chase scratched behind his ear sighing thoughtfully. He wanted to know more…Wanted to ask questions. He wanted to know what he was like but he didn’t dare ask…Not Scott anyway.

“He was nice. The whole family’s nice.” Scott added as he leaned in closer. “But enough about the Fitzgerald’s.” He grinned as he pushed Chase backward onto his pillow. “Less talk and more kissing.” Scott said between kisses, his hands fumbling around on the nightstand trying to cut off the light…

 

~*~*~

 

It was midweek and in the next few more days, Chase would be tying up all the loose ends. He had a couple more women to meet with but for the most part, he was pleased with the progress. He and Darla had dinner together the night before as old friends and colleagues do, catching up each other’s lives. On the sly, he managed to find out more about his secret crush, information he couldn’t get on his own since he was too chicken to talk to him, and that boggled his mind.

According to Darla, Kaleb had only been there a few months, but in those few months he had made a huge impact on how the Daycare and Nursery was run. It had become his baby. Not only did the kids love him, but the moms did as well. They felt completely safe with their children in his care.

Kaleb was dependable. He took his job seriously. Darla explained how one day he showed up to the shelter wearing a yellow facemask. He took these precautions because he had a cold and he didn’t want the kids to get sick because of him, nor did he want to call in. He knew how much the kids needed him. What surprised Chase however was the fact that Kaleb showed up every day including Saturdays on a volunteer basis. He refused any money for his services. Darla quoted him as saying. “Use the money you were going to pay me and buy diapers, toys, and food for the daycare.”

Chase sat behind the steering wheel of his car, his hand cupped over his mouth baffled. Never in his life as he felt so nervous when it came to a guy. He was a lawyer after all. He spoke with people all the time. He was confident, cool and collected he had to be; it’s what his job required. But not with Kaleb. Kaleb was getting under his skin without even trying and that just blew his mind. He even wondered if Kaleb acknowledged his existence. When they saw each other in passing Kaleb would smile kindly at him, but he smiled at everyone.

There were several occasions when Chase had a chance to talk to him, but his throat tightened and the words got stuck somewhere deep inside. He chided himself for being that way when he was around him. There was even the time when their gazes met and he was sure he saw something in Kaleb’s pale blue eyes… but he dismissed it.

All the years in college and law school never prepared him for this. What was it about this man…This man he never even talked too, through no fault of his own. What was this pulling…the butterflies… this attraction he had? When he saw Kaleb, he didn’t see a man with mental issues, or a disability, he saw a strikingly handsome man that he wanted to get to know. What made him feel worse was the fact that he was sure Kaleb wasn’t gay but that didn’t change how he felt about him.

With a disenchanted sigh he gave himself one last glance in his rearview mirror. He felt his heart skip several beats as it always did when he saw him. His mouth became dry and he felt if he tried to speak only cotton would flow not words. There he was gorgeous as ever with that ‘Not a care in the world’ expression, listening to his IPod. Chase felt like a stalker as he watched him adjust his ‘Spiderman’ backpack slung over his shoulder before placing the lock and chain around the tire of his bike.

Kaleb turned around his eyes seeking out emerald green ones. Their gazes locked for a moment and he was sure the smile that graced Kaleb’s lips was for him. It was soft and inviting. He smiled back at the other man releasing the breath he was holding and gave him a short wave, which Kaleb returned before combing his fingers through his curly locks. He adjusted his backpack once again, stuffed his hand in the pocket of his jeans, and headed up the walkway. The revelation hit him like a ton of bricks falling down around him. It was his smile…Yes; he wanted that smile to be truly for him…

And it finally happens...Chase is finally put into Kaleb's realm, but how will he react when he comes face to face, litterally with the object of his desires...
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aaaawwww Chase has it bad LOL bit like me with Stuby hahaha

 

This is really so lovely to read, When's the next chappy?

 

How will Scot find out? or wont he?

 

I need next chappy girl xxxx :hug:

Link to comment
On 08/19/2011 05:03 PM, Mark92 said:
Aaaawwww Chase has it bad LOL bit like me with Stuby hahaha

 

This is really so lovely to read, When's the next chappy?

 

How will Scot find out? or wont he?

 

I need next chappy girl xxxx :hug:

Yep Chase is a lost cause. It will be intersting to see how he and Kaleb interact. Or at this point how Kaleb handles him...lol It appears Chase is questioning his intentions toward Scott, so we'll see. Thanks for reading and posting a comment. The nect chapter should be up Sunday afternoon...
Link to comment

I am loving this story. I like it when romance stories have something a bit different about them and Kaleb's mental state is definitely that. I can't wait to see what happens when him and Chase really interact. You're a wonderful writer.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2011 05:29 AM, adamo said:
I am loving this story. I like it when romance stories have something a bit different about them and Kaleb's mental state is definitely that. I can't wait to see what happens when him and Chase really interact. You're a wonderful writer.
Awww.... Thank you so much...I'm so glad you are enjoying the story...I wanted to do something different. Like yourself, I love romantic stories that go against the "grain" sorta speak. Let's just hope Kaleb is worth all the mental stress Chase is dealing with ;) Oh and the comment about being a wonderful writer, made blush..I love doing it though I have a long way to go... :D So again thank you...
Link to comment
On 09/03/2011 06:00 AM, Nephylim said:
Wow that was intense. Chase is such a sweetie and, through him, I am half in love with Kaleb myself
again thank you. I love Chase too and Kaleb how can you not love him too...
Link to comment

yup i'm already back :) couldn't stop reading and i have a couple more days until i'm back at work... and it feels definitely like home again wub.png . i'm fascinated about this story and this chapter, you started with this great set up; it all fits together, the who's who, the champagne, the outfits, hors d'oevres,oysters and crab claws and the perfect take five serenade in the background. it's funny that i had the same thought as Chase during this. my mind went back to Kaleb, sittting with his lunch box, all food perfectly arrangend in front of him, his body swaying to the music from his ipod, happy and content. oh man what a difference :). it's kind of ironic, that as much as Chase hates this "party" and don't want to be a part of it this is where he gets informations about the mental disease and even gets an offer on other doctors to help hi with this. and that Scott know Kaleb, ha this took me by surprise...and then the last part: i fell even more in love with Kaleb. he is so careful, loving and dedicated to this children and the daycare it's beautiful. and wow, Chase really has it bad. we don't know if Kaleb even is gay but he captured me with his smile too and i can;t wait to find out more about him! thanks for another great chapter and makinf my morning again a peaceful onehug.gif

Link to comment
On 10/03/2011 08:44 PM, asonearth said:
yup i'm already back :) couldn't stop reading and i have a couple more days until i'm back at work... and it feels definitely like home again wub.png . i'm fascinated about this story and this chapter, you started with this great set up; it all fits together, the who's who, the champagne, the outfits, hors d'oevres,oysters and crab claws and the perfect take five serenade in the background. it's funny that i had the same thought as Chase during this. my mind went back to Kaleb, sittting with his lunch box, all food perfectly arrangend in front of him, his body swaying to the music from his ipod, happy and content. oh man what a difference :). it's kind of ironic, that as much as Chase hates this "party" and don't want to be a part of it this is where he gets informations about the mental disease and even gets an offer on other doctors to help hi with this. and that Scott know Kaleb, ha this took me by surprise...and then the last part: i fell even more in love with Kaleb. he is so careful, loving and dedicated to this children and the daycare it's beautiful. and wow, Chase really has it bad. we don't know if Kaleb even is gay but he captured me with his smile too and i can;t wait to find out more about him! thanks for another great chapter and makinf my morning again a peaceful onehug.gif
Love that you're back....lol and glad you are enjoying the story. What I dig here is, we have Chase and Kaleb who are totally different, but so much alike. You soon learn that Chase realizes that too. Kaleb...you can't help but fall in love with him..He just is sooooo... :wub: It will be fun to see where their relationship leads them...can't wait for you to read the next few chapters...oh and thank you...missed ya woman... we've got to PM wanna know what other stories you have read...I have a few if you're interested...
Link to comment

awww... they're so sweet! :D i smiled through most of the chapter, and almost giggled at the spidey backpack. lol. ^_^

Link to comment

Great revelation about wanting Kaleb's smile to be for Chase. It's such a truly romantic desire. Thanks for the sweet chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..