Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 2,940 Words
  • 6,965 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 3. Chapter 3

Chase and Kaleb's worlds collide

Chase sighed heavily as he closed the last file of the day before glancing at the time. “Wow...” He combed his fingers through his hair surprised at how late it had gotten. He'd been working diligently way into the afternoon. Lunch consisted of a protein bar and a sugar free energy drink. He gathered all the folders together stacking them neatly as he slid them inside his messenger bag. As he pushed himself from his chair, he twisted his neck from side to side releasing the tightness in his strained muscles. He looked over the list of clients he had scheduled for tomorrow before gathering up his things.

Adjusting the strap of his bag loosely across his shoulder, he made his way down the corridors. He was actually glad that he was busy today because it left his mind little time to wander and it left little time to stroll the halls in hopes of seeing him.

He smiled kindly to Mr. Watson who stood with his foot perched on the seat of the empty chair resting his arms comfortably across his knee. "Have a good evening, counselor.” He nodded through clinched teeth to keep from swallowing the toothpick he had wedged between them.

He peeked his head inside Darla’s door, "See you in the morning.” He smiled to Darla who was sitting in front of her computer typing away on the keyboard. She averted her gaze from the screen sending him a warm smile.

"Thanks Chase. See you tomorrow.” She said before returning her focus to the computer. Chase sighed and made his way to the door, instinctively slowing down as he passed the Daycare Nursery. His heartbeat paused until he released the breath he didn’t realize he was holding. Kaleb was nowhere in sight.

“This is ridiculous.” He berated himself. “This has got to stop. You’re a grown ass man, Chase, get it together.” He exhaled deeply as he pushed the door open. He waved to the grounds keeper who was smoking a cigarette while watering the grass before he got into his car. He scanned the perimeters one last time in spite of himself before starting the engine. Adjusting his review mirror, he rubbed his tired eyes and pushed in the CD.

He adjusted the volume allowing the soft sounds of Paul Hardcastle’s ‘Jazzmasters’ Greatest Jazz Collection to fill the air. Chase was a true lover of jazz. Miles Davis. All three of the Marsalis boys, Charlie Parker and John Coltrane were among his favorites. He was tapping his steering wheel absentmindedly, enjoying the flow of the music when his attention was averted to the young man on the side of the road. “What the fuck…” His mind had to be playing tricks on him. ‘Could it be…?’ He down shifted almost bringing the car to a complete stop. Squinting to get a closer look, ‘Oh my god was he dreaming? It was…Kaleb.’

He forced the car into park, his mind going a mile a minute. Sure, he wanted to meet him, but not like this. But even if this wasn’t the best way, it indeed forced Chase’s hand. Now he had to talk, had to find the words that always got lost in translation when he tried to speak.

He wasn’t sure how he got there but before he realized it, he was squatting down beside him. “Kaleb!? What happened? Are you okay?” Chase heralded question after question as he placed a consoling hand on Kaleb’s shoulder. He glanced around assessing the damage. Kaleb’s bike lay mangled on the side of the road. His Spiderman backpack lay mere inches beside it. “What the hell happened?” Chase asked again trying to keep his tone calm and consoling.

“I…I fell.” He answered as he cradled his arm tightly against his chest, his attention not focused on his injuries but something seemingly more important. He was scanning the area clearly looking for something.

That was it…his voice. He finally heard his voice and in the midst of all the drama, it sounded wonderfully amazing to Chase. It was high pitched yet manly… almost whiney. He wouldn’t describe it as an accent but it was different; something he didn’t expect, but it gave him shivers.

“What…what is it?” Chase asked following Kaleb’s eyes.

“My IPod….I need my IPod.” Kaleb voiced, his tone laced with panic as he attempted to stand.

“Whoa…Whoa…hang on.” Chase tightened his grip on the young man’s shoulder keeping him in position. “We need to check you out first. Make sure you’re okay. We’ll find your IPod I promise.” Chase smiled as he felt Kaleb’s body relax under his touch.

Kaleb nodded, his eyes large and trusting while biting on his lower lip. Chase gently attempted to examine Kaleb’s arm.

“Ouch!” Kaleb cried clutching it tightly against his chest.

“I’m sorry…” Chase apologized regretfully. He quickly released his arm, holding his hands innocently to his chest. “I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just want to see it. You’re bleeding.” Chase nodded to Kaleb’s elbow.

Kaleb cradled his arm looking down at the blood that trickled down his arm. “You promise not to hurt me?” He asked as a young trusting child would.

“I promise.” Chase said through a warm smile. He carefully moved closer feeling his heartbeat speed up as he touched him again. “We need to get you cleaned up.” Chase said looking back over his shoulder toward the shelter. “Explain to me, what happened again?”

“I was riding my bike and I must have rolled over some gravel. I lost control, hit the brakes, and threw myself over the handlebars.” He explained a little shaky on his feet as he allowed Chase to help him to stand up.

“But are you okay?” Chase questioned, attempting to make eye contact. His concern evident in his tone.

“I think so…” Kaleb sighed, still a bit shaken. Chase placed a steady hand on his arm as he reached down.

“Here…” He handed Kaleb the silver device.

“Thank you.” Kaleb held the IPod tightly in his grasp.

“I’m gonna take you back to the shelter and clean you up.” He explained as he stepped over to pick up Kaleb’s backpack.

“Okay…” Kaleb nodded still cradling his arm. “What about my bike?”

“We’ll have one of the guys come back and get it.” Chase promised as he led Kaleb over to the car.

“WAIT?!...” Kaleb yielded coming to a complete stop as he slid his shoulder from beneath Chase’s grasp. He glared at Chase with a menacing stare.

“What?” Chase looked dumfounded.

“I don’t even know your name, and mommy said I should never accept a ride from a stranger.” He frowned holding his stare.

“Oh yeah…” He sighed. “I’m sorry I thought you recognized me from the shelter.” Chase explained as he roughly pulled his hand through his hair. He didn’t even think to introduce himself, he just thought surely Kaleb had seen him there, he smiled at him once…Didn’t he? He wondered.

“But you’re still a stranger until we have the proper greeting.” Kaleb insisted holding his stance.

“O-kayyyy…” Chase took a deep breath. “I’m Chase Montgomery.” He extended his hand. Kaleb examined it cautiously and then smirked with a half smile before carefully releasing his elbow.

“You forgot to say you were a lawyer.” Kaleb grinned slyly.

“Oh….” Chase laughed with a short nod. It was obvious Kaleb knew who he was, but why the pleasantries? Chase tilted his head slightly before he finished his introductions. “I practice Family Law for the state of Illinois.” He stated his hand still extended.

“I knew that…” Kaleb said matter of factly pushing Chase’s hand out of the way as he sidestepped him. He carefully threw his backpack over his uninjured shoulder and headed toward the car.

Chase shook his head in confusion and amusement before jogging to catch up with him. “Wait.” Kaleb stood back allowing Chase to open the passenger door. “You never introduced yourself to me.” He reminded him.

“Why….you know who I am.” Kaleb said with a sly smiled as he ducked his head inside the car.

“Huh…” Chase knitted his brows together bemused. He peeked inside the car watching Kaleb as he fastened his seatbelt, as if he didn’t have a care in the world. Chase shrugged his shoulders in defeat as he made his way around to the driver’s side.

He got inside feeling a little nervous, though he didn’t know why. He smiled kindly at Kaleb as he buckled his seatbelt. He couldn’t believe it. Here he was sitting right next to him. He tried not to stare but he couldn’t help it. Kaleb was even more handsome close up. He watched him as he looked around the car absorbing in his surroundings. His hair looked darker up close. There was a single curl that needed to be placed behind his ear, and it was all Chase could do to keep from reaching out to touch it. His skin was flawless and his lips full. Chase could see the fine hairs that lay so finely against his jaw line. From what he could tell, Kaleb would be in need of a shave in a couple of days. ‘Just an observation.’

“I like your car.” Kaleb’s voice pulled Chase from his stare.

“Huh?”

“I said I like your car.” Kaleb smiled as he ran his hand over the soft leather.

“Thank you.” Chase replied as he started the engine.

“I know how to drive.” Kaleb stated proudly.

“Oh yeah.” Chase nodded with a smile.

“Yeah. My dad lets me drive his car all the time. You should let me drive yours one day.” Chase nodded and smiled as he shifted gears.

“So where were you riding too. Do you live around here?” Chase asked taking his eyes off the road for a brief second.

“No silly…” Kaleb said through a boisterous laugh. Chase ducked his head feeling a little self-conscious. “I ride downtown and our driver picks me up.” He explained as he reached inside his jean pocket for his cell phone.

“You ride your bike downtown and a driver picks you up and takes you home?” Chase questioned.

“Crazy huh?” Kaleb sighed rolling his eyes.

“But, where do you live and why do you ride downtown only?”

“It’s a long story. My mom and dad’s idea.” Kaleb said as he scanned his contacts before hitting talk. He placed his finger to his lips giving Chase a slow nod. “Hello Paul? No..no, you’re fine. I’m not there yet.” Kaleb spoke into the phone. “I had an accident…No I’m okay.” He interrupted. “But my bike is broke.” He nodded as he listened to the voice on the other end. Chase pulled up in front of the shelter, cut the engine, and waited for Kaleb to finish his call.

“Well we’re back at the shelter so Chase can clean me up.” He explained eyeing the man sitting beside him. “Chase Montgomery. “ He turned his back toward Chase and whispered into the phone. “Remember the one I told you about.” He said in a hushed tone. “Yes him…” He confirmed with wide eyes before turning back into his seat.

Try as hard as he might, he couldn’t help but overhear Kaleb’s conversation, he was sitting right next to him after all. And especially when he heard his name. “Kaleb was talking about me? Oh my god.” He thought to himself. This made him feel good… flattered, but most importantly, it meant Kaleb had noticed him too. So maybe just maybe those smiles were actually meant for him.

He couldn’t hide the smile that was plastered on his face when Kaleb turned to him after ending the call. “You ready?” He nodded to the building smiling like a Cheshire cat.

“Um…yes.” Kaleb replied an inquisitive expression gracing his features. “What’s wrong with you?” He questioned turning up his nose.

“What?” Chase shrugged his shoulder quickly losing the smile.

“Did you hear me?” Kaleb questioned with an arched brow.

“Ummm…No.” Chase lied through a sigh.

Kaleb carefully opened the door glancing back over his shoulder. “Okay…” He smiled a smile Chase was quickly becoming fond of.

Chase managed to get him into the restroom… alone. Everyone they passed offered their help, even a few concerned mothers, and their children wanted to render aid. Chase was thankful for Darla’s watchful eye. It was as if she knew something. She managed to keep everyone at bay. She found the first aid kit, handed it to Chase, and waved them inside the restroom. It was almost as if Kaleb was a celebrity and Chase was his bodyguard.

“Brace yourself.” Chase warned before he placed the alcohol pad on Kaleb’s elbow.

“Owwww…..” Kaleb winced snatching his elbow away. “No fair. You promised.” He cried cradling his arm.

“I’m sorry Kaleb, but we had to clean it out otherwise it might get infected.” Chase apologized while reaching for a bandage. “Trust me. I only want what’s best for you.” Translation….I want to be the one who takes care of you. Kaleb smiled softly allowing Chase to put the bandage on his elbow.

“There…” Chase leaned backwards on his knees viewing his handy work. He felt Kaleb’s eyes on him. “What?” He asked hesitantly…almost afraid to look back into Kaleb’s pale blue eyes. He slowly lifted his head coming face to face with him.

“Nothing…” Kaleb said faintly his gaze transfixed on Chase’s green eyes. “It’s just that your eyes are an amazing shade of green, emerald even.” Kaleb smiled.

“Oh…” Chase blushed lowering his head.

“No…don’t….”

“Kaleb, sweetie, are you in there? Booby come out…It’s mommy.” The warm female voice could be heard from the door. Chase shared a worried glance with Kaleb.

“It’s okay…It’s just my mom.” Chase stood up helping Kaleb to stand as well.

“Are you okay?” Chase asked before opening the door. Kaleb nodded forcing a smile.

As soon as the door opened a woman rushed in. “Kaleb, baby, are you alright?” She asked frantically pulling her son into her arms.

“Mamma, Mom. I’m fine, but I can’t breathe.” Kaleb managed to speak.

“I’m sorry baby; it’s just you had me worried to death. Paul called saying you were in some sort of accident, and…” She stopped abruptly turning her attention to Chase. A warm smile appeared on her lips.

“You must be the “gallant knight,” who came to my son’s aid.” She released Kaleb’s cheeks before using the back of her hand to push the flyaway strands of hair from her face. “I’m Helen Fitzgerald. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” She expressed as she extended her hand to shake Chase’s.

“Chase Montgomery. The pleasure is all mine, I assure you.”

“Hum…” She nodded giving Chase the once over. “So how much do I owe you?”

“Excuse me….” Chase questioned through knitted brows. “I don’t understand.”

“For helping my son.” She nodded back over her shoulder.

Helen Fitzgerald was in her mid 70s. Her frame was thin, but not frail. Her style of dress was straight out of the classic ‘Annie Hall’ movie, not to mention she resembled Diane Keaton.

“Mom…” Kaleb objected. “You’re embarrassing me.” Chase looked to Kaleb then back to Helen shaking his head slightly.

“You don’t own me anything. Kaleb needed my help, that’s all.” Their gazes locked.

“Kaleb?” Another voice called out, this one male.

“Hi Paul…” Kaleb waved shyly at the other man entering the room.

“Hey, buddy…” Paul greeted as he stepped further inside. Chase frowned at the condescending tone in Paul’s voice; one he was sure Kaleb didn’t pick up on. It was somewhat like his mother, though Chase was sure hers was genuine. Paul’s he wasn’t so sure of.

“You ready to go pal?” Paul asked as he placed his hand on Kaleb’s shoulder.

“What about my bike?”

“We have your bike dear.” Helen informed him as she ushered him toward the door. “It’s in the trunk of the limo.” She assured him.

“Come with me…” Paul extended his hand.

“I can walk, Paul. You don’t need to hold my hand.” He hissed slapping his hand out of the way. He sighed as he stepped in front of Chase. “Thank you…” He whispered. The two men shared a knowing gaze; one that didn’t go unnoticed by Kaleb’s mother.

“You’re welcome, Kaleb.” Chase smiled. “Take care of that elbow.” He nodded resisting the urge to caress Kaleb’s cheek.

“See you tomorrow…” Kaleb said before he stepped out the door.

“Well. When you’ve decided your price let me know.” Helen said snidely before she turned to leave. Chase rested his hand on his hip while combing his fingers of his free hand through his hair in confusion.

“You okay?” Darla’s warm voice was a needed distraction.

“Yeah…” Chase sighed breathlessly. “What’s up with her?” He asked as he stepped out into the hall.

“Helen? I don’t know.” She replied following Chase to the lobby. They stepped out on the porch just as Kaleb was getting into the car. He glanced up and smiled at Chase giving him a small wave before ducking inside the. Helen’s stare was more questioning then friendly.

Darla placed a consoling hand on Chase’s shoulder. “Sometimes I think she only sees his disabilities, she doesn’t see the man.” She sighed sadly.

“Hummm.” Chase nodded never taking his eyes off the car that drove from his view.

“He likes you as much as you like him.” She smiled before stepping inside.

“Huh…What...Wait?!” He turned only to find he was alone. “Darla come back here…What do you mean…..” His voice trailed off.

TBC

Next chapter, Kaleb has a present for Chase and ask him a question...but what?
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/22/2011 10:40 PM, charlieocho said:
Damn! That was way too short!! Excellent. Left me wanting lots more.:2thumbs:
Wanting lots more is a good thing.*blushes* I'll have another chapter posted by Wed. Keep your eyes on Kaleb...just saying ;) Thanks for reading and posting a comment.Kim
Link to comment

Damn girl but that was one amazing chapter. Kaleb is such a complex character. Some of the things he says are so childish and childlike but having met his mother I wonder how much of that is because of her. I'm worried about Paul

Link to comment
On 09/03/2011 06:11 AM, Nephylim said:
Damn girl but that was one amazing chapter. Kaleb is such a complex character. Some of the things he says are so childish and childlike but having met his mother I wonder how much of that is because of her. I'm worried about Paul
Kaleb is very complex. I think that's what attracts Chase to him aside from how beautiful he is in his eyes. Glad you picked up on Helen. As we will see a lot of the way Kaleb is, is because of her, which is way he needs a Chase in his life...lol
Link to comment

Ahhh. everytime i got some time on my own it just draws me back here to this story.. you already have me captivated..lol..

this was a very significant chapter.. at least for me. it shoes glimpses of what we have to deal with getting involved with Kaleb and his family.. this sure is a handfull. i think Darla said it best..

Sometimes I think she only sees his disabilities, she doesn’t see the man.”[/quoted] i think there's more to Kaleb's family.. why let they drive him downtown but not going back??

Chase is already smitten with Kaleb, and so am i .. here i saw a partly boyisch, childish and innocent behaviour( when he thought he lost his Ipod) but when he smiles that smile... you just can't help yourselfwub.png and when he mentioned Chase's green eyes, it looked so honest and pure.

i didn't like how Kaleb's mother and Paul treated Chase in the end, but i will give them some credit but they are under my personal supervision..lol

thanks again thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
On 10/05/2011 03:32 AM, asonearth said:
Ahhh. everytime i got some time on my own it just draws me back here to this story.. you already have me captivated..lol..

this was a very significant chapter.. at least for me. it shoes glimpses of what we have to deal with getting involved with Kaleb and his family.. this sure is a handfull. i think Darla said it best..

Sometimes I think she only sees his disabilities, she doesn’t see the man.”[/quoted] i think there's more to Kaleb's family.. why let they drive him downtown but not going back??

Chase is already smitten with Kaleb, and so am i .. here i saw a partly boyisch, childish and innocent behaviour( when he thought he lost his Ipod) but when he smiles that smile... you just can't help yourselfwub.png and when he mentioned Chase's green eyes, it looked so honest and pure.

i didn't like how Kaleb's mother and Paul treated Chase in the end, but i will give them some credit but they are under my personal supervision..lol

thanks again thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

reading is good...lol glad you are enjoying the story Nettie Poo. I agree with you getting involved with Kaleb can be challenging if Chase allows it to be. At this point it appears Chase and Darla see Kaleb for who he is not his disabilities. oh and Helen is just getting started..just saying. Thanks my dear. I hope you enjoy the rest of the story.

 

Kim

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 06:31 PM, Slytherin said:
I like this story :) very sweet... must read more :D
Awwww....thank you. it's cool that you decided to read Shades of Gray, it's one of my favorites... glad you're enjoying it so far...

 

Kim :D

Link to comment

Fate has a funny way of bringing people together...Kaleb is oddly naive and flirtatious, and his mom is not coming off well at all. Thanks again for the good work.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..