Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 6,661 Words
  • 6,148 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 20. Chapter 20 Revelations...

Chase delivers in more ways than one...

"Good evening Mr. Mont...” Hannah uttered. Her expression registering confusion as Chase walked right past her taking long, hastened strides. "Hum...” She knitted her brows together as he quickly disappeared from her sight, down the hall, and into the Fitzgerald's study.

Without warning or even knocking, Chase angrily pushed the door open, slamming it against the wall while doing so. It hit the wall with such force you could hear the wood crack.

Helen jumped from her seat dropping the book she was reading. "Chase!?” She exclaimed as she placed her hand to her chest trying to steady her breathing upon recognizing the familiar face. Chase glared, seeing several shades of red as he marched toward her.

He gripped both arms of the chair so tight his knuckles turned white, as he towered over her, trapping her beneath him. "Why you, Witch!” He growled.

“Hah! I beg your pardon.” Helen leaned back as far as she possibly could from her position. If looks could kill, she certainly would have a died horrific death at that every moment.

"Oh....” He laughed menacingly. "You should be begging alright, but not my pardon. You should be begging your son's forgiveness.” He hissed through clenched teeth. "How could you?” He questioned with contention as he slowly released his grip allowing the feeling to return to his fingers.

"I have no idea what you're talking about.” Helen stated haughtily, releasing the breath she was holding. "And how dare you burst in here unannounced and unwelcome.” She stared up into angry eyes as she tried to regain her composure. She wasn't sure, but she would wager, Chase, was no threat to her... physically that is. Chase stood up shaking his head in utter disbelief. He was speechless as he watched her squirm in her seat. It was obvious from the look in her; eyes she knew.

He paced back and forth with his hands tightly on his hips, chewing angrily on the inside of his cheek, tasting the blood that trickled inside. Helen just sat motionless. She didn't dare speak or make the first move.

"Where's your husband?” He grumbled under his breath.

"Excuse me?” She asked with trepidation lacing her tone.

"I asked where's Horace!” He repeated his tone an octave higher as his anger erupted even more.

"He's not here...why?"

"I think he might be interested in his wife's trickery."

"Trickery?” She parroted as she shifted in her seat. "Just what are you talking about?” She asked calling his bluff.

"Don't be coy with me, Helen!” He warned, saying her name as if it left a foul taste in his mouth. "I know what you did. It's unforgivable."

"Pffff...” She huffed as she crossed one leg over the other, and her arms defiantly over her chest. "I have no idea what you are talking about.” She said as she turned up her nose.

"Okay...You want to play that game? Then let’s play.” Chase pressed his lips together in a tight line as he stepped closer to her. "I know everything. I know about your visit to Family Services and about your request to have your son's application denied.” He admitted putting all his cards on the table.

"I...” She started to speak.

"Please. Don't.” He chided her sternly. "I knew you were against this from the beginning. I just didn't know how far you would go. But to do this to your son!” He spat, "what kind of person...mother," He corrected, "does that?” He questioned. Helen sat up straight in her chair unfazed by Chase's accusations, showing no signs of remorse.

"Kaleb is too young to have a child. He doesn't know what's best for him and as suspected, neither do you.” She stated brazenly.

"And what about your husband?” He challenged. “Does he not know what's best for his son?”

"My husband will never defy me.” She stated with confidence. "Good ole Horace always trying to keep the peace.” She sighed exaggeratedly with a whimsical shake of the head. "That dear husband of mine is good for one thing.” She smirked shamelessly when she noticed Chase's reddened cheeks. "Not that "one thing”.” She clarified. Chase cleared his throat ducking his head. "He's good at making money...My money."

"I don’t give a shit about that.” Chase replied redirecting the conversation. “That's not why I'm here.”

Oh, I know why you're here.” She admitted finally. "My point is, Horace is no threat to me.” She explained simply. "He minds his own business and I mind mine. That way he keeps his little "pretties" on the side. His standard of living is not compromised, and I don't drag him through an ugly divorce that shames our family's name or our sons."

"Well, Horace may not be a threat to you, but I'm sure Kaleb will not handle the news well.” He countered. "What you've done has hurt your son in the worst way possible. How do you sleep at night?"

"I sleep quite well, thank you.” She replied politely. “All I did was prevent him from making a dreadful mistake.” She reasoned. "He'll be okay.” She waved dismissively. "He always throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his way.” She stated as her tone took on an eerie calm.

“A goddamned tantrum!?” He disputed incredulously. “Are you fucking kidding me!?” He yelled waving his arms aimlessly in the air. “Kaleb’s confidence is destroyed. He’s locked himself in Lilly’s room, thinking he’s not good enough because some stupid piece of paper says he’s mentally and emotionally incapable of taking care of her. We both know that’s a lie. He passed the test, Helen.” He charged through haggard breaths. “I know it and you know it.” He placed his hands on his waist taking one long, slow deep breath.

"But you’re right.” His voice dropped several octaves. “He will be okay.” Chase promised with a calmness matching her own.

It was time to play hardball, play chess not checkers and Chase came prepared, armed with determination. Helen rolled her eyes as she attempted to stand.

"Sit...” Chase demanded as he stepped closer causing her to almost fall backwards in her chair. Helen slowly lowered herself down, never taking her eyes off him. "I'm going to fix this and you're going to let me."

"I..."

"No. This is how we're going to play your little game, only this time I set the rules. I've got the best hand."

"And how do you figure that?” She challenged smugly.

"I've got the trump card..."

"Kaleb?” She assumed

"Kaleb...” He confirmed with an arched brow. "The way I see it, Helen, you are a miserable, unhappy...evil woman.” He tilted his head slightly, his expression stoic. "Why? I don't know nor do I care, but, I have to assume you love your sons in your own little warped way, otherwise I would have to add deplorable to my list.” Helen shifted uncomfortably as she listened with fear in her eyes. "You love control...” He smirked shamelessly, enjoying the momentary play of power. "But most importantly, you love controlling your sons, lives and their relationships."

"That's..."

"I didn't say you could speak.” Chase interrupted receiving a dreadful glare from Helen, which he just laughed off. "What do you think Kaleb would do if he found out you were the one standing in the way of him getting Lilly? If he found out how deceitful you really are. That it didn't matter to you that you crushed his world...knowingly and didn't bat an eyelash."

"You wouldn't...” She insisted, her words heated with fire.

"Wouldn't I?” Chase glared mercilessly, with an arched brow. There was a battle of the minds; each one staring down the other. Both opponents were wearing their best "poker face,” but Chase was for real.

"You wouldn't hurt my son like that. You love him too much.” Helen voiced after a few moments of stale silence. The tension was so thick it was tangible. Chase released the breath he didn't realize he was holding and looked her square in the eyes.

"You're right.” He stated simply. "I do love Kaleb. He's a wonderful person who sees the world through rose-colored glasses sometimes. All he wants is to take care of that precious little girl. Give her the love she can't get from her mother.” Chase stated. As the words flowed from his mouth, he realized he wasn't just speaking to Helen, but to himself as well. "What you did was low and he didn't deserve that."

"And?” Helen questioned obstinately.

"And I'll tell him.” He deadpanned. "As god is my witness, I'll tell him and I'll be there to pick up the pieces...to comfort him.” Chase guaranteed. He took a deep breath before slowly turning to walk away.

"Wait...” Helen finally stood to her feet. "Where are you going?"

"To handle my business.” He called over his shoulder without looking back. As he reached for the door, he stopped and turned around. "Which do you prefer?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"Grandmother or Nana?” He smiled arching his brow. Helen staggered back, falling into her chair, staring blankly into space. He smiled facetiously before slamming the door behind him.

~*~*~

His legs buckled beneath, him rendering him motionless for a moment as reality hit. He had resorted to blackmail; something he frowned upon. Not only was he going against his beliefs, he was blackmailing Mrs. Fitzgerald, Mrs. Helen Fitzgerald to be precise. As he got into his car, his mind was swarming in a million different directions and scenarios. He relaxed in his seat using the back of his hand to wipe away the beads of perspiration that dotted his brow. "Did he just seal his own fate?” He wondered.

Helen was a powerful woman; she'd proved that. Would she...could she ruin his career? Get him blackballed… or worse. In some conniving way, could she cause him to lose his license to practice law in the state of Illinois? What if she called his bluff, would he really tell Kaleb what she did, knowing how bad it would hurt him, not to mention destroy his relationship with his mother? He exhaled deeply but felt no relief by the expulsion of air. What was done…was done and there was no turning back.

He laughed humorlessly to himself as he thought back to his threat. 'He would see to it that Kaleb was okay.’ But how? There was only one thing he could think of. He had a plan, but in order to pull it off he would enlist the help of a friend. He pulled out his cell phone, scanned the contacts, and hit talk. He inserted the key into the ignition, starting the car as he waited for her to answer.

A contented smile crossed his lips as her frolicsome voice tickled his ear. "Hey, You.” He greeted casually, his smile widening. "Look, Sweetie, I need your help. Can you steal away for a few moments?” He laughed aloud at her reply. "Of course there will be food for your services. Great...I'll meet you in an hour.” He pressed his lips together into a tight smile. "And, Kristin? Thanks. I knew I could depend on you." He ended that call before making another one. His smile quickly vanishing as he scanned the contacts. He hit talk and waited, hoping he would answer.

“Hey…I need one more favor.”

~*~*~

“Okay…so what are we doing again?” Kristin asked excitedly as she buckled her seatbelt. “Kidnapping a baby?”

“No…” Chase chuckled amusingly. “We’re not kidnapping a baby.” He stated. “And for the record you are here just as a witness.” He clarified. “Now, if we get Lilly tonight, I’ll need you to do that motherly thing you women do.”

“Well, Chase, you are out of luck there.” She giggled. “I don’t have a motherly instinct in my bone. Kids don’t like me for some strange reason.” She knitted her brows together tightly with a look of confusion registering on her face. After a few seconds, she shrugged her shoulder causally as the fleeting thought had passed. Chase smiled taking his eyes off the road briefly.

“If I haven’t said it already….thank you.” He pressed his lips together in a tight line before focusing on the road up ahead.

“No problem…It’s like ‘Cloak and Dagger’ or something.” She laughed. Chase laughed as well shaking his head.

The rest of the ride was quiet, aside from the soft jazz playing on the radio. Kristin watched her friend. She was used to seeing him at social gatherings, relaxed; drink in hand, laughing at the unfunny jokes that circulated the room. But not tonight. Tonight he was anything but relaxed. Word had it that he was intense in the courtroom, and that side of him was slipping through. A look of determination was etched in his features as they drove to their destination.

He took a deep breath as he shifted the car into park, before looking at the paper in his hand to confirm they were at the correct address. He was glad Scott was able to get the information he needed so quickly, and though this was totally unethical it needed to be done.

“You ready?”

“I’m ready. The question is, are you ready?” Kristin smiled as she reached over the console patting the top of his hand encouragingly.

“Here goes nothing…or everything.” He laughed humorlessly while unbuckling his seatbelt. Kristin did the same, following her friend out of the car. She felt a little awkward as she glanced around the quiet middleclass neighborhood. Aside from a dog barking off in the distance everything was relatively still.

Chase took a deep breath as they stepped onto the porch. He pressed the doorbell and stood back clasping his hands in front of him. The sound of the television could be heard inside the house, but no one came to the door. After waiting a few more seconds, he turned to Kristin who motioned for him to knock. He smiled before knocking, and then stepped beside her to wait. As the footsteps got closer, Chase stood erect and straightened his jacket.

The door swung open revealing a short portly man, standing about five-foot. “Can I help you?” He frowned at his unexpected guest, glancing from Chase to Kristin before his eyes rested on the taller man standing before him.

“Are you Edward Sweeney?” Chase asked forwardly. The man’s frown deepened at the question.

“Yeah.” He answered suspiciously. “Why?”

“I’m Chase Montgomery, and we have a problem.”

“I’m sorry?...” Edward replied as he stepped back distancing the space between him and Chase.

“Listen, I know you weren’t expecting us.” He nodded toward Kristin, “So I’ll get straight to the point.” He stated taking a step forward causing Mr. Sweeney to step back even more. “Two days ago an application came across your desk for approval….”

“Wait a minute.” Edward interrupted. “Any business regarding any applications need to be handled through the office.” He informed Chase in a hostile tone.

“I assure you, you don’t want this matter handled through the office.” Chase countered with an arched brow. “Now as I was saying…”

“Wait, where did you get my address? Who are…” He paused, eyeing Chase intensely, a hint of recognition registering. “You’re an attorney?” He questioned. “I’ve seen you in court.” He pointed accusingly at Chase. Chase smiled with a confirming short nod.

“The file I’m referring to is for Lillian Reynolds.” Chase stated receiving an uneasy stare from Mr. Sweeney. Chase watched him shift from one foot to the other and he could tell he’d struck a nerve.

“Um…like I…. Um.” He stuttered trying to formulate a reply. “Like I said, all cases need to be handled through the office.” He declared, his voice slightly shaken. Chase smiled knowingly as he noticed the beads of sweat dripping onto his forehead.

“Really?” Chase deadpanned.

“I don’t know why you’re here. My work day ends at 5pm.”

“Mr. Sweeney, the fact that I am here at…” Chase checked his watch, “9:30pm should alert you that I know what you did.”

“I’m going to close my door now.” Edward announced as he reached behind him, grabbing the side of the door.

That…would be a grave mistake on your part, Mr. Sweeney.” Chase warned. Kristin pulled up the collar of her coat and stepped back, crossing her arms over her chest in anticipation of his next move. She had to admit Chase was very calm. She couldn’t help but wonder if this was how he was in court. “The application I’m referring to belonged to Kaleb Fitzgerald…” Chase barely finished his statement before he was interrupted again.

“I have no Idea what you are talking about.” Edward stated unconvincingly.

Now, you’re insulting me.” Chase tilted his head slightly. “As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t already know. You denied the application because you were told to do so by his mother, Helen Fitzgerald.” Kristin immediately saw the fear in Mr. Sweeney’s eyes and she was sure Chase noticed it too.

“I..I…I.” He lowered his head, shaking it sadly. “Look, Mr. Montgomery, I don’t want any trouble. I mean I could lose my job.”

“I know….” Chase agreed without any sympathy. “You should have thought about that.”

“What choice did I have?” Edward replied desperately, lifting his head coming face to face with him.

“To do the right thing.” Chase replied simply. Edward dropped his shoulders, lowering his head once more.

“Listen…” Chase stepped forward placing his hand on the man’s shoulder. “I understand you weren’t fully aware of the magnitude of this situation.” Edward lifted his eyes. “And I understand that every case is equally important.” He eyed him kindly. “But you see this one is of special importance to me.” Chase smiled politely. “Tonight I was supposed to be celebrating with my boyfriend and instead I’m standing here with you.”

“Mr. Fitzgerald?” He assumed.

“Mr. Fitzgerald.” Chase parroted. “He passed everything, didn’t he?” He asked directly. Mr. Sweeney bit his lower lip nervously. “Didn’t he?” Chase probed again trying to make eye contact.

“He did…” Mr. Sweeney replied just above a whisper.

“I’m sorry.” Chase tilted his head closer to Me. Sweeney. “I didn’t hear you. Can you repeat that?” Chase requested pushing deeper into ‘attorney mode’.

“Yes…yes. He passed.” He confessed. Chase looked back over his shoulder insuring his witness, Kristin, heard him as well. She gave a slight nod confirming that she did. “I’m so sorry.” Mr. Sweeney apologized profusely.

“As you should be…” Chase nodded. “You know you need to fix this…right? And being that it’s after hours I would be more than happy to meet with your supervisor to resolve this matter in the morning…”

“No…” Mr. Sweeney pleaded. “I’m so screwed.”

“Really…why?”

“I mean…Mrs. Fitzgerald is a powerful, powerful woman.”

“And I’m a powerful, not to mention, resourceful man. I’m standing here, aren’t I? This little secret was to be between the two of you and yet I know.” Chase shrugged nonchalantly. “Secrets don’t stay secrets for long, Mr. Sweeney.”

“I don’t….” Edward attempted to speak.

“Her hands are tied on this one…trust me.” Chase stated convincingly.

“Huh?”

“She knows I know. You won’t have any trouble from Mrs. Fitzgerald. It’s me you need to worry about.” He assured him. Edward took a deep, breath releasing it slowly.

“What do you want me to do?”

“The obvious, Mr. Sweeney….the obvious.” Chase answered as if it was the stupidest question he’d ever heard. His exhausted tone incited giggles from Kristin who stood back in the distance.

“Yeah…yeah.” He said chewing on his thumbnail. “What about….you know?” He winced.

“We’ll discuss that, after Mr. Fitzgerald has the baby.” Chase smiled giving Edward two insulting pats on the back. “Tomorrow….” He stated taking the assumptive approach.

“Yes…Tomorrow morning bright and early.” He promised even as he watched Chase and Kristin walk away. He sighed shaking his head as he closed the door.

“Wow…that was exciting!” Kristin squeaked as they made their way toward the car.

“Yeah…” Chase scratched behind his ear. “I’m just glad it worked out okay. That could have been all bad.” He exhaled.

“Are you going to let him get away with that?” Kristin asked as he walked her around to the passenger side opening the door for her. She shifted, buckling her seatbelt when Chase got inside. His expression was still thoughtful, pondering her question.

“I don’t know.” He answered honestly. “I’ll leave that up to Kaleb.”

“You’re going to tell him his mother was behind the whole thing?”

“No…I’m not that cruel.” He laughed lightly as he inserted the key into the ignition. “As far as he will know it was just an awful mistake, made by an incompetent employee.” He smiled shifting the car into first.

“Meaning he’ll keep his job.” Kristin guessed.

“He’ll keep his job.” Chase laughed. He knew no matter how much pain this had caused Kaleb; he wouldn’t want anyone fired over it. Besides, if it all worked out, he will get Lilly and was the most important thing.

~*~*~

“Hey. How’d it go?” Carter asked as Chase entered the apartment. He reached for the remote control and lowered the volume on the television, waiting anxiously. Chase blew out an exhausting breath of air as he shoved his keys into his pocket. “Well?”

“Well…” Chase replied as he headed toward Lilly’s room. “I thought you were supposed to be keeping an eye on him.”

“Come back here.” Carter called out, pushing himself up from the sofa and following his brother down the hall. “He’s fine.” He assured him. “What happened with the guy?”

“It went okay. I think he’s going to do the right thing.” He said as he placed his ear on the door listening for any movement on the other side.

“And if he doesn’t?”

“I’m too tired to think that far ahead.” Chase replied while scratching the side of his neck. “Has he come out at all?” He frowned nodding toward the door.

“Nope.”

“Kaleb?” Chase rapped lightly on the door as he leaned in closer. He glanced over at Carter, who shrugged his shoulders casually before shoving his hands deep inside the pocket of his jeans.

“I guess I better let you get going.”

“Yeah…” Carter sighed, forcing a sorrowful smile.

“I’ll be right back.” Chase whispered through the crack of the door as his fingers gingerly grazed the frame. He placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder and guided him down the hall.

“Thanks again, Man. I really needed you tonight.” He admitted.

“No, worries. That’s what family is for.” Carter reminded ‘his’ younger sibling. He stopped at the door and turned to face his brother, eyeing him with concern. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” Chase answered as he combed his fingers through his hair and nodded.

“You sure?” Carter questioned apprehensively.

“I am…” Chase smiled. “Honestly. A little tired, but I’m good.” He assured him.

“It’s a lot of work…Kaleb, I mean.”

“I love him.” Chase stated simply. “It’s a part of who he is. I knew that from the door.” He pressed his lips together in a tight smile. “Everyone deals with things differently. We’ll be fine.” Carter smiled even as he pulled his brother into a tight hug.

“When did you get so smart?” He sighed.

“I don’t know.” Chase replied gripping his brother tighter. “I guess I took after my older brother.” He chuckled softly before releasing his hold on him.

“I’ll call you in the morning. I assume you’re staying here tonight.”

“Um-hum.” Chase confirmed with a slow nod.

“Cool. Let me call Pam and tell her to meet me back at your place, and resume the position.” He laughed stepping aside as Chase opened the door to let him out. “Love you, lil brother.” He called over his shoulder while pulling his cell phone from his pocket.

“Love you back.” Chase smiled as he closed the door behind him. He sighed, taking a deep breath. He headed toward the living room to cut off the television. A surprised smile appeared upon noticing Carter had picked up the roses and had put them together on the table. Chase cut off the television, grabbed the roses, and headed to the kitchen to put them in water.

~*~*~

He sat with his back against the wall, his knees drawn tightly to his chest with his head resting on them, thinking about the events of the evening. It amazed him that people; Helen in particular, would use the power they had for ill will. After a few moments, he moved closer toward the door and rested his weary head against its frame.

“Kaleb…Baby, I need you to open the door…please.” He beseeched earnestly, but to no avail. “I know you’re hurting and I hate that you feel this way, but I’m hurting too.” As much he wanted to tell Kaleb about his meeting with Mr. Sweeney, he decided against it, just in case things didn’t go according to plan. He didn’t want to put Kaleb through that heartache again. “I’m on your side, Baby. You’re never alone. I hope you believe that.” He pledged. He didn’t know why, but for some reason he felt the need to express even more…to put it out there, naked and bare. He trusted Kaleb, but more importantly, he trusted Kaleb with his heart and not many could say that.

“…And I need you.” He sighted. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been rambling, but he’d laid it all on the line. Starting from the first time he saw him, to his struggles with himself to embrace the overwhelming feelings he’d developed so quickly, down to this very moment, with no regrets. It actually felt good to be free. He closed his eyes, feeling at peace.

His eyes slowly fluttered open when he felt a gentle hand graze his shoulder. Chase was too lost in his reverie that he didn’t hear the door open. He smiled staring up into a pair of mesmerizing blue eyes. Kaleb returned a sorrowful smile as he gestured toward Chase’s lap.

Chase lowered his knees welcoming his boyfriend into his embrace. His arms wrapped tightly around Kaleb as he snuggled deeply into them, resting his head between his neck and shoulder. Chase deeply inhaled the scent of the man who captured him completely. His mind drifted in awe at how people could put into words what they thought love felt like, because, what he was feeling would be insulting if he even tried.

“I’m sorry…” Kaleb whispered into the crevice of Chase’s neck before placing a tender kiss against the side of it.

“Don’t be.” Chase replied as he pulled Kaleb even closer. “I love you.”

“You think I’m silly, don’t you?”

“Not at all…” Chase answered soothingly and without hesitation. “Not at all.”

“I’m sorry, for Lilly.” Kaleb lifted his head from Chase’s shoulder. “You only get one mother and she is supposed to love you no matter what.” He frowned. “My mother is a little overbearing and pushy at times, but I know she loves me in spite of…you know.” He shrugged before resting his head against Chase’s shoulder again. “Lilly won’t have that now…That mother’s love. I’m not her mother, but I could love her like one. Love her unconditionally.” He sighed.

“Yeah…” Chase agreed as he combed his fingers softly through Kaleb’s hair, allowing the strands to slip through his fingers.

“You believed in me, didn’t you?”

“I still believe in you, Kaleb. You’re perfect.”

“I love you.” He smiled sadly, as he reached for Chase’s fingers. “What do you think will happen to her now?” He asked as he laced their fingers together.

“Lilly will end up right where she belongs.” He stated convincingly.

“And they will love her like I would? Give her the best of everything?”

“No one could even come close to loving her the way you will.” It was a “Freudian” slip, but not really, because he wanted desperately to tell Kaleb.

He frowned. “I want to be the best boyfriend so you’ll never leave me.” Kaleb admitted softly.

“You are…” Chase smiled kissing Kaleb on the top of the head. “I’m lucky to be loved by you.”

“Even if I’m a little…Slow?”

“That’s the best kind of loving.” He smirked, with a sly wink.

“Your mind stays in the gutter.” Kaleb giggled bashfully. It was genuine and Chase would never tire of it. He loved it. “Is this where we go and have the “make-up” sex I’ve read about?”

Chase pursed his lips trying to hold back the smile forcing its way through. “You only have make-up sex if you fight.” He informed his boyfriend, “and since we aren’t fighting….”

“Well, can we have make-up sex anyway? I’ve read it works wonders and it might take my mind of Lilly for a while.”

“Me, turn down sex with you….never.” Chase chuckled as Kaleb scooted off his lap allowing him to stand. He took Kaleb’s hand and headed toward the bedroom with Kaleb padding close behind him.

~*~*~

He watched the rise and fall of Kaleb’s chest as he breathed evenly. His body was truly a remarkable sight. It was perfect as far as he was concerned and it was all his. Kaleb laid still as Chase caressed his chest, neck, and shoulders with the tips of his fingers, dragging them down his torso causing chill bumps to appear at the slightest touch.

His body quivered uneasily as Chase’s tongue tickled his smooth skin and his lips overwhelmed him, kissing him hard and gently at the same time, sucking and gingerly nipping at the skin with his teeth around his navel.

What he did tonight would show Kaleb how much he loved him. That he would do anything for him, but right now, he needed him to feel that love.

It’s not every day you meet an angel…a godsend, and he was sure Kaleb was his. He didn’t believe in love at first sight or even soul-mates. Happily Ever After only happened in Fairy tales, but he could see forever with this man.

As he kissed his way down Kaleb’s stomach, he stopped at his pelvis paying special attention to the delicate skin there, feeling Kaleb’s body writhe underneath his tongue. He lingered there enjoying the taste and erotic moans escaping his boyfriend.

Kaleb had a way of making him feel as if he was the best lover in the world. The way his body moved beneath his, responding to him as though he commanded it to do so. He continued his descent, his mouth, and fingers caressing Kaleb’s inner thighs. He dragged his fingers slowly over to his erection taking it into his hand watching as it twitched in the palm of it. His long nimble fingers stroked it up and down. He felt Kaleb’s breath hitch and his back arched as he licked the mushroom shaped head before sucking it into his mouth, moaning deeply at the taste of him…the thickness that filled his mouth.

Kaleb tangled his fingers in Chase’s hair controlling his movements to his desire. In and out…deeper, hitting the back of Chase’s throat with its head. His moans became louder and unsteady as he worked himself. Chase dug his fingers into his thighs begging for more of him, sucking…licking, kissing from the base to the head, sliding his tongue over the blood-filled vines that ran along its side, before forcefully sucking it back into his mouth again.

It was time to intensify the feeling. Take Kaleb to a completely different level. As he continued his ministrations causing Kaleb to cry out in sheer ecstasy, he carefully slid his finger underneath him pushing it inside the tight muscle, heightening the incredible feeling already attacking Kaleb’s body. A mischievous smile crossed his lips at the sounds erupting from Kaleb, he wasn’t sure he’d ever heard them before, but by the way he wiggled his body, pushing down on the finger that was buried deep inside him, he was sure he approved.

Kaleb grabbed Chase’s hair tighter while thrusting his hips fast then slow, arching his back high, before allowing his body to fall lifelessly on the bed. It was as if he was playing a game himself. He used Chase’s fingers and mouth to serve him at his demand.

Chase could tell he was getting close. His movements were less precise…uncontrolled and the salty taste was coating his tongue faster than he could swallow. With one hard thrust and a fist full of Chase’s hair, he released. Chase relaxed his jaw attempting to swallow it all. Kaleb’s body stiffened and he cried out Chase’s name as if it hurt. Deep strangled moans followed as his body started to tremble.

Chase caressed his inner thigh and stomach muscles as Kaleb struggled to breathe. His breaths were labored and forced. Beads of perspiration glistened over his body, giving it a soft glow.

“That’s it, baby….” Chase encouraged soothingly as he continued to caress his limp body.

“I…I ca…ca...Can’t breathe…”

“Yes you can.” Chase chuckled amusingly. “Just do it.” Kaleb lifted up as Chase carefully removed his finger from inside him using the tips of them to caress his thigh that was now shaking uncontrollably. “You’re okay, Baby, just ride it out.”

“I can’t. Hold me…” Kaleb cried as he reached for Chase’s hand.

Chase crawled up the bed, pulling Kaleb into his embrace. Kaleb immediately ducked his sweat soaked head in the crevice of Chase’s shoulder and neck. “Shhh…It’s okay.” He said calmingly. “I’m sorry, Baby. I thought you would like it.”

“I did…” Kaleb giggled, “I love it. It’s just so….”

Chase sighed with relief, “Don’t scare me like that.” He laughed as he kissed the top of Kaleb’s head.

“Kiss me…” Kaleb’s head darted upward.

“Huh…”

“Kiss me.” Kaleb grinned. “I want to see what it taste like.”

“Kinky…” Chase chuckled. He puckered his lips leaning upward when the sound of the intercom buzzed, startling the both of them. Chase sighed discouragingly. “Carter…” He frowned as Kaleb slid off him. He sat up in the bed grabbing the covers, wrapping them around his waist as he watched Chase pull on his pants. “Don’t move.”

“Hurry…” Kaleb giggled falling back, tangling himself within the sheets.

Chase laughed shaking his head as he padded down the hall in nothing but a pair of dress slacks.

“Yes…” He pushed the intercom and rested his head against the wall.

“Yes, Sir. We have a Mr. Sweeney here to…”

“Mr. Sweeney?” Chase knitted his brows together. “Um…send him up.” He released the button looking back over his shoulder. “What did he want? Did he change his mind?” Chase wondered aloud.

“Chase!?” Kaleb sang out happily.

“Coming..Yeah.” He exhaled, running his hand roughly down his chin. He opened the door before he could ring the doorbell. His breath got caught deep within his throat. “But I…I thought.” He choked out through a heartily laugh.

Da…Da,” Lilly shrieked with a toothless grin.

“Daddy…Me?” Chase laughed, pointing to himself, while shaking his head. “Come here.” He pressed his lips together even as he reached for her. “Oh my god.” He glanced over to Mr. Sweeney before quickly turning his attention back to the little girl who wiggled in his arms.

“I couldn’t sleep.” Edward shrugged as he stepped back watching the reunion.

“Carter…we were in the…” Kaleb chided as he marched down the hall, stopping dead in his tracks, his eyes wide as saucers and his mouth agape. “Oh my god…” He said faintly, cupping his hand over his mouth. A look of astonishment attacked his features.

“That’s daddy.” Chase laughed unaware of the tears streaming down his cheeks. Mr. Sweeney glanced to Kaleb who was still in awe, and smiled.

“Da...Da…Da.” Lilly squealed, her big brown eyes as bright as a 4th of July night sky. She clapped her hands, before anxiously reaching for Kaleb, practically bouncing out of Chase’s arms to get to him.

“Chase…” Kaleb eyed the stranger standing at his door timidly. It was as if he was afraid to take Lilly. Afraid it was a dream.

“Here…” Chase grabbed Lilly by her diaper-clad bottom turning her toward him. “Take her. She’s yours, Baby!” He sniffled, using the back of his hand to wipe his nose.

“Lilly…” Kaleb choked out her name even as he reluctantly reached for her. “Come here, Fat Mama.” He tilted his head slightly, smiling as the tears streaked his cheeks faster than he could wipe them away. Chase carefully placed her into his arms watching as Kaleb wrapped them tightly around her, crying uncontrollably. Mr. Sweeney pulled out a yellow manila envelope from his jacket.

“All the paperwork is in there. All signed.” He smiled as he watched Kaleb walk toward the living room while bouncing the little girl in his arms.

“Thank you.” Chase smiled regaining his composure.

“And, for what it’s worth. I’m sorry.”

Chase nodded as he opened the envelope and examined the papers inside. “Looks good. I’ll have my office go over them in the morning.” He glanced up. “Don’t you need to get going? You have work in the morning…Right?”

“Um, Right…” Mr. Sweeney wiped his sweaty palm down his pant leg before extending his hand to shake Chase’s. Chase chuckled as he looked over his shoulder at Kaleb and Lilly playing and crawling around in the living room together. He clasped their hands together in a firm handshake.

“Take care.” Chase nodded before he closed the door. He sighed through a contented smile, combing his fingers through his hair, as he walked over to join his family.

Kaleb sat in the middle of the floor watching as Lilly crawled over his legs. He looked up wide-eyed and smiled at his boyfriend. He carefully nudged Lilly to the side and stood.

“Thank you.” He smiled lovingly into Chase’s green eyes.

“Don’t thank me.” Chase replied as he allowed Kaleb to take his hands into his own. He sighed as they both watched Lilly explore her new environment…her new home. “I didn’t do anything.” He tilted his head slightly watching in amusement as Lilly pulled herself up by using the sofa. She stood wobbly for a few beats, before plopping down to the floor.

“So, do we get to keep her?” Kaleb asked as he chewed on his thumbnail still trying to process the fact that she was indeed there.

“Yeah. The only thing we have to worry about is if a family member, like her biological father comes to claim her.”

“But other than that, she’s ours.” Kaleb smiled.

“She’s ours.” Chase agreed as Kaleb pulled him into a tight embrace.

“You’re the best boyfriend...”

“Partner…” Chase corrected.

“Partner?” Kaleb parroted with surprise.

“I think we’ve graduated.” Chase grinned.

“Partner…I’m your partner?” He smiled dreamily.

“If that’s okay with you.”

“Is partner more important than boyfriend?”

“In my book it is…” Chase pressed his lips together in a tight smile.

“Partner…” He repeated once more, “I have the best partner in the world.” He ducked his head bashfully. Chase used his fingers to gently lift Kaleb’s chin.

“Thank you for choosing me.” He said as he lowered his head until their lips touched sharing a tender kiss. “I love you, you know that?” He asked gazing into a pool of blue eyes.

“Yes…” Kaleb replied even as he nodded to Lilly who lay curled up on the floor in the fetal position with her thump in her mouth, fast asleep.

“I’d say she’s ready to sleep in her new bed. What do you think?”

“I think so.” Kaleb walked over, kneeled down, and carefully lifted her into his arms, cradling her, as he tiptoed down the hall.

‘What a night…” Chase laughed, shaking his head as he turned off the lights before joining them.

A/N: As with all good things...they must come to an end. Next chapter will be the last one of this story, a pre- epilogue sorta speak. Of course we get an epilogue, a look into the furture lives of Kaleb and Chase. Thank you all for sticking with me these months, your support has honestly kept me writing...seriously. I didn't think I would get past chapter five.
Special thanks to Sebastien, a good friend of my beta, for looking over the bedroom scene for me ;)
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/11/2011 09:27 AM, intune said:
Whew, what an emotional chapter. It was great :D it left a big smile on my face.
Big smiles are a GREAT thing, intune. thanks for the review...

 

Kim

Link to comment

"Come here, Fat Mama"! Made me start to laugh while crying, something I didn't think was possible. Kim, I don't know how you do it, but you sure take us to a higher ground with your writing. Thanks.

Link to comment
On 12/11/2011 11:09 AM, charlieocho said:
"Come here, Fat Mama"! Made me start to laugh while crying, something I didn't think was possible. Kim, I don't know how you do it, but you sure take us to a higher ground with your writing. Thanks.
charlieocho, Kaleb has all kinds of cute names for his little girl...lol I was thrilled to hear you found the chapter emotional, that's what I was going for and merci for the wonderful, encouraging words re my writing. as I always say, comments fuel the writers soul. so again thanks for review.

 

Kim :)

Link to comment
On 12/11/2011 01:57 PM, Swhouston44 said:
We can only hope Helen stays in line. I'm loving this. blush1.gif

It makes me real proud of that guy that thinks Kaleb loves him.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

hahaha...Swhouston44, that guy, did alright tonight didn't he..' :D and yes let's hope Ms. Helen stays in her lane...One more chapter and a epilogue, :( thanks for hanging with me, and for your reviews... need to stay with me.

 

Kim :D

Link to comment

wow, this was an extra long chapter and man, a lot has happened here... even without knowing that the story is coming to an end, i could clearly see every point/topic coming full circle here. you provided solutions to every aspect of your story, and you know how much i love this about your writing. nothing is left unclear or vaguely

well, i take my hat off to Chase!! he for sure knows how to play poker or chess, that is!! not only confronting Helen like this but to also call that bluff, he sure risked a lot... but hey, he got the trump!!! i loved how you played this card..lol.. so i hope Helen's hands are tied and it will stay this way!!... you hear Mr.Sweeney...hahaha

as i said.. Carter is the best!! i loved he cared for the roses, Chase so hastily dropped...:) that talk between Chase and Kaleb through the closed door is my fav. scene... it looked like Chase comes to term with all that has happend between him and Kaleb and he is totally in love and ok with that... evne if Kaleb is a little slow...lol... you just have to love him , right??

so i was happy Kaleb finally decided to come out, because Chase really needed his boyfriend here and to take their sex life to the next level was kind of inevitable here :)

so the last topic you resolved: you brought Lilly back, ...and then...""“But other than that, she’s ours.” Kaleb smiled.“She’s ours.” Chase agreed as Kaleb pulled him into a tight embrace.“You’re the best boyfriend...”

“Partner…” Chase corrected..... just perfect!!

there's just one thing i guess i missed... before Chase and Kristin went to see Mr. Sweeney, Chase made one more call and asked a favor... what/who was this??

so i'm up to date so to speak and you made some special quality time for me over the last weeks! Thanks!!!

Link to comment
On 12/23/2011 02:36 AM, asonearth said:
wow, this was an extra long chapter and man, a lot has happened here... even without knowing that the story is coming to an end, i could clearly see every point/topic coming full circle here. you provided solutions to every aspect of your story, and you know how much i love this about your writing. nothing is left unclear or vaguely

well, i take my hat off to Chase!! he for sure knows how to play poker or chess, that is!! not only confronting Helen like this but to also call that bluff, he sure risked a lot... but hey, he got the trump!!! i loved how you played this card..lol.. so i hope Helen's hands are tied and it will stay this way!!... you hear Mr.Sweeney...hahaha

as i said.. Carter is the best!! i loved he cared for the roses, Chase so hastily dropped...:) that talk between Chase and Kaleb through the closed door is my fav. scene... it looked like Chase comes to term with all that has happend between him and Kaleb and he is totally in love and ok with that... evne if Kaleb is a little slow...lol... you just have to love him , right??

so i was happy Kaleb finally decided to come out, because Chase really needed his boyfriend here and to take their sex life to the next level was kind of inevitable here :)

so the last topic you resolved: you brought Lilly back, ...and then...""“But other than that, she’s ours.” Kaleb smiled.“She’s ours.” Chase agreed as Kaleb pulled him into a tight embrace.“You’re the best boyfriend...”

“Partner…” Chase corrected..... just perfect!!

there's just one thing i guess i missed... before Chase and Kristin went to see Mr. Sweeney, Chase made one more call and asked a favor... what/who was this??

so i'm up to date so to speak and you made some special quality time for me over the last weeks! Thanks!!!

Danke, my dear... :) and to answer the last question first, Chase called Scott to get Mr. Sweeney's ;) lol name and address...just goes to show you it's not what you know all the time, but who.

Yes Chase pulled off the gloves and came out swinging. He's learned Helen and he knows she loves her son in her own warped mine...and she is a mother. to have Kaleb disown her would kill her. I think she will sit still on this one. Kaleb and Chase are perfect together...and now baby makes three... the She's Ours put a little lump in my throat...Lilly is a lucky little girl. She has two...yes two amazing dads and one awesome Uncle...Carter Rocks..

Thanks chica for the review...you Rock too...

 

Kim

Link to comment

Oh, that was beautiful. I KNEW Helen had something to do with it. I hope that this is the last of the their problems. There are two things I hope to see in the next chapter. Helen getting her comeuppance and Horace giving it to her :)

This chapter left me feeling warm and fuzzy but with a nervous churning in my stomach about what's going to happen with Helen.

Link to comment
On 12/23/2011 09:12 PM, Nephylim said:
Oh, that was beautiful. I KNEW Helen had something to do with it. I hope that this is the last of the their problems. There are two things I hope to see in the next chapter. Helen getting her comeuppance and Horace giving it to her :)

This chapter left me feeling warm and fuzzy but with a nervous churning in my stomach about what's going to happen with Helen.

Yes, Helen had her hand all in it...but Chase wasn't having it... Glad you were all warm and fuzzy, that means I did okay. :D

 

Merci,

 

Kim :)

Link to comment

Oh wow! :D i know i'm abusing that word... but, WOW it is! ^_^

Helen is.. a disgrace <_< Grrr.. How does she sleep at night, indeed!

i teared up at the reunion scene, it was really touching! :) Beautiful!

Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 08:00 AM, Frostina said:
Oh wow! :D i know i'm abusing that word... but, WOW it is! ^_^

Helen is.. a disgrace <_< Grrr.. How does she sleep at night, indeed!

i teared up at the reunion scene, it was really touching! :) Beautiful!

sorry I forgot the r in my last comment *blushes* Helen should be ashamed of herself, but she's Kaleb's mom and Chase understands that, so she should appreciate that he loves Kaleb and by not telling he's keeping Helen and her sons relationship in tact, only because he knows Kaleb loves her.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..