Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,615 Words
  • 7,158 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shades of Gray - 6. Chapter 6

Chase meets the Fitzgerald's will he be able to stand up against Helen...more importantly how will he and Kaleb's first date fare?

Fridays were always hectic for Chase, it was usually the day he used to wrap everything up and get ready to hit the court on Monday. Today was no exception. Not only was he feeling the pangs of distress, but it seemed everyone at the shelter was feeling it as well. It was the end of the month, so Darla was locked up in her office balancing books. She spent the whole day going over the month’s end inventory, and vouchers. Because she received a large amount of funding from the government, she had to make sure all her I's were dotted and her T's were crossed.

The end of the month also meant scheduled well visits to the clinic for the children to insure they were up to date on their immunizations along with Planned Parenthood visits for the mothers, which kept Kaleb busy as well. It was his job to accompany them and make sure all the children's shot records were up to date.

It was obvious to Chase that Kaleb took the job entrusted to him by Darla seriously. He had to practically wrestle him down to have breakfast with him. Despite the protest that he was “busy” Chase managed to steal about ten minutes of Kaleb's time before the van left. They shared a bagel while finalizing their date for the evening. Chase had coffee while Kaleb opted for orange juice stating coffee was too bitter, not to mention he thought it was gross.

Chase smiled as he shifted gears relaxing his back in the soft leather seat while driving down the avenue. He was listening to the jazzy piano of Brian Cuberson's 'It's Time.' while trying to relax. He wanted tonight to be perfect, and he went all out. It had been a while since he planned a first date. After consulting with Kristin, they decided he would take Kaleb on a dinner cruise. She raved about how romantic and elegant it was. A perfect first date. They would board the Majestic, at the Navy Pier between 6:30 and 7:00pm with the cruise leaving at 7:30.

The closer he got to the Fitzgerald’s the more anxious he became. He’d been on several dates, but none of them made him feel as nervous as this one. The possibilities for them were endless. He and Kaleb would experience many firsts together. Kaleb’s first date, his first kiss, and whom was he kidding… Scott was right, eventually if their relationship progressed the way he hoped, he would be Kaleb’s first. The physical attraction was there when he first laid eyes on him. The need to be Kaleb’s everything came somewhere in between.

The large colonial styled mansions, rod iron gates, and the impeccable manicured lawns, along with the female voice of his navigation system alerted he was at his destination.

He pulled up to the security office and announced his arrival. He smiled handing over his driver’s license while waiting patiently as the officer jotted down his incense plate number as well before handing him back his driver’s license. The officer stepped inside the booth, made a phone call and within seconds, the iron gates were slowly opening. They gave each other a polite nod as Chase drove through. Though some might find this impressive, Chase thought it was too grandiose and too showy for his taste, but to each his own.

He stood at the door giving himself a once over before knocking. Just as he was about to ring the doorbell, the door flew open. The stunned expression on the man’s face caused Chase to chuckle silently. It was obvious he wasn’t what he expected. Now whether that was a good thing or a bad thing Chase wasn’t sure.

“Hello…I’m Chase. Chase Montgomery, I’m here to pick up Kaleb.” He offered.

“…Oh, Hi.” the man waved as he stepped aside. “Come on in. We’ve been expecting you.” He informed him. Chase smiled kindly extending his hand for a proper greeting.

“I’m sorry.” He sighed returning the gesture, “Kaleb would kill me. Where are my manners?” He smiled as they shook hands. “Adam Fitzgerald. Kaleb’s brother. Please.” He nodded over his shoulder.

“Thank you…” Inside the entry way was just as vast as the outside. Marble flooring and high arches led the way into the rest of house. The arches reminded him of the ones leading to the Wizard in the ‘Wizard of Oz.’ As Adam led him into a smaller room Chase managed to get a glimpse of the a black baby grand piano that sat in front of a huge picture window overlooking the garden. From what he could see, the home was immaculate, almost stoic. Nothing seemed to resemble Kaleb’s character at all.

“Have a seat.” Adam motioned to the chocolate brown leather winged chair near the fireplace. This room was decorated in shades of brown and had a warmer feel. As he made his way over to his seat, he couldn’t help but notice the sofa table that displayed family photos, all of which were professionally taken. Everything about this place so far was professionally done. Nothing seems random or out of place. From the way the pictures were displayed on the table to the way the furniture was arranged…all of it.

“So, what’ll you have?” Chase heard Adam ask. He was holding a short glass filled with cracked ice.

“Oh…Um…Scotch.” Chase smiled as he took his seat.

“Scotch it is.” Adam replied. He made their drinks and came over to join Chase. “Tell me you posted up in college.” He said as he handed Chase his drink,

“As a matter of fact I did.” Chase confirmed before taking a careful sip from his glass.

“I was going to say, man, what are you about 6’4, 6’5?”

“Yep. In fact, I went to Notre Dame on a basketball scholarship.”

“Oh yeah, that’s cool.”

“Yeah. I love the game, but I love Law more.” Chase admitted. Adam nodded with understanding before turning up his glass.

“Kaleb is really excited about his date.”

“Me too.” Chase smiled as he relaxed back into his chair.

“I’m really supportive and protective of my little brother.” Adam eyed Chase carefully. That sounded like more of a threat then just a piece of information. Chase thought to himself.

“Don’t worry I’ll make sure he makes it back in one piece.” Chase promised.

“I believe you. Just be careful with him. This is his first “rodeo,” as they say. He’s playing on a much bigger field.”

“Not really. I’m just your ‘average Joe’.” Chase shrugged.

“You, Mr. Montgomery are anything but…” Adam smirked while shaking a finger at him. “Jenny did her research.”

“Jenny?”

“My wife…” Adam chuckled. “She’s not only protective of Kaleb, but she’s also nosey, and you can Google just about anything and anyone.” He warned with an arched brow.

“I see…” Chase replied. “Well I must have fared okay, you let me in.” He teased.

“You did okay.” Adam stated with a relaxed laugh. “Besides I don’t believe everything I read.” He winked. The two men retreated to their own personal thoughts; all that could be heard was the clinking of the ice in their glasses.

Chase cleared his throat about to speak when Helen made her presence known. She stood in the doorway; her hair combed perfectly, not a strand out of place. She was dressed as if she was going out as well. Wearing a cream-colored pantsuit and nice set of pearls draped around her neck. She had something tucked neatly under her arm. Her gaze locked on Chase.

“Mother?” Adam stood to his feet with Chase mimicking his gesture. She smiled toward her son without saying a word as she strutted into the room.

“Mrs. Fitzgerald…” Chase greeted.

“Mr. Montgomery.” She acknowledged. Her voice was void of any emotion. Adam stood back watching the scene play out before him and by the look in his eyes; Chase could tell he was in for a battle of the minds.

“Sherry, Mother?”

“Thank you, son.” She replied, never taking her eyes off their guest. “Have a seat.” She smiled curtly toward the chair as she took her place on the sofa. The tension in the room was palpable leaving Chase to wonder why she disliked him so much.

“Here you go mother.” Adam handed her the glass of sherry.

“Thank you.” She took a small sip, before gingerly crossing one leg over the other. “Adam, why don’t you go check on your brother? Make sure he’s doing okay. Give Mr. Montgomery and me some time alone.”

“Mother….” Adam objected eyeing Chase.

“Adam…”

Chase smiled taking a sip of his scotch giving Adam a short nod.

“I’ll go get Kaleb; we don’t want you two, to be late.” Adam stated before heading out. He gave Chase a sympathetic glance before closing the door behind him.

Suddenly the room was not so warm anymore and there was a slight chill in the air. Helen leaned forward resting her forearm against her knee. “Mr. Montgomery, let me get to the point here.”

“Please call me Chase.”

“Chase.” She rephrased. “I don’t approve of you and my son.” She stated with conviction.

“I see…”

“No, Chase I don’t think you do, otherwise you wouldn’t be sitting here.”

“Then I guess I don’t. So why don’t you explain it to me.”

“Kaleb is young. He’s innocent…different. He doesn’t see the world the way it really is. To him it’s all rose colored full of gray areas. And you and I both know that’s not the case.” She paused as she took a deep breath.

“Okay…”

“My husband and I weren’t planning on having anymore children after Adam. There were some complications when Kaleb was born.” She let the statement hang. “I love my son, and I want him to be safe so you understand my concern when he meets people like you.”

“Like me…” Chase pointed to himself. “That I don’t understand.”

“Like you. Kaleb runs in here saying you’re his boyfriend.”

“He asked me.” Chase interjected.

“Ohhhh….” Helen laughed, “I know my son. I’m sure he did, but did you actually say yes?”

“I did.”

“Why?”

“I don’t …. I just wanted said yes.”

Helen sighed shaking her head disapprovingly. “I expect that type of behavior from Kaleb, he has an excuse. What’s yours?”

“I can’t explain it Mrs. Fitzgerald, but when I see your son, I see an attractive young man, one I want to get to know better.” He stated. “When I first saw him I didn’t know about his disability so it wasn’t like I was setting out to harm him in anyway. Let alone take advantage of him.”

“But you knew he was a Fitzgerald.” She stated more than asked.

“No….” Chase stated simply.

“My son is worth more then you’ll see in your lifetime.”

“And….”

“And I’m sure you find that attractive as well.”

“You know Mrs. Fitzgerald that would be insulting coming from anyone else.” He leaned forward locking gazes with her. “But for you, I’m going to give you a pass and some advice. Number one, if I were you and I was concerned about someone wanting Kaleb for his money.” He shook his head. “I wouldn’t go around announcing how much he’s worth. To me, you can’t put a price tag on a human life as you so easily seem to do.” He said with an arched brow. Helen gasped silently placing her hand to her chest.

“And number two, I do well for myself as I’m sure you know. I hear people have been asking questions about me.” He smiled smugly. “I never drive the same car for more than two years. I love to travel. I’ve been to Paris, Tokyo, Greece, and Italy all within the last four years. Those are my guilty pleasures…So far. Therefore, I don’t need your son’s money. I have enough to support the lifestyle I choose to live.” He sat back in his chair and took a sip of his scotch.

“Does the lifestyle you choose to live involve playing with Kaleb’s head?”

“Excuse me.”

“Just how serious are you about my son?” She challenged.

“As serious as one can be without even going on the first date.” Chase retorted.

“So last night it was Scott…” She picked up the paper she had tucked under her arm when she entered the room, scanning its contents. “Scott Chamberlain.” Her smile was laced with a slight victory. “And tonight Kaleb Fitzgerald. I’d say you’re making the circuits. Does your boyfriend know about your date last night?” Her tone a bit more callous as she dropped the society page of the paper down on the table. Front and center was a picture of Chase and Scott.

“Scott is a friend of mine. We arranged to go to the awards dinner prior to me meeting Kaleb. It was an arrangement I couldn’t get out of.”

“Really?”

“Really. I don’t’ go back on a promise.” He stated as fact.

“And the promise you made to Kaleb, the boyfriend thing?”

“A promise is a promise, Mrs. Fitzgerald. Kaleb has something I want alright, and trust me it’s not his money.” He grinned triumphantly.

Pffff…..” Helen played nervously with her string of pearls with blushed stain cheeks. Chase glanced up when he heard the door open. The room was suddenly void of air as he eyes rested on his date. He was totally captivated by him.

Kaleb tilted his head slightly as he combed his fingers through his dark curls pushing them back from his eyes, only to have the fall back again. He was wearing a pair of drawstring tan capri cargo pants and a turquoise sheer slub cotton lace up polo that was left untied with a pair of no lace sperrys. Jenny and Adam stood back beaming proudly. Once Adam seen how Chase was dressed for their date he insisted Kaleb change into something more appreciate.

“Wow….” Was all Chase could muster. Kaleb gave him that smile; the one that he was becoming addicted to as he stepped into the room.

“Hey Chase.”

“Kaleb…”

“Oh god…” Helen grumbled under her breath. Chase smiled giving her a sideways glance as he made his way over to him.

“You look amazing.” He complimented as he took Kaleb’s hand into his.

“Really?” Kaleb blushed ducking his head. “Jenny and Adam picked it out for me.” He admitted looking back over his shoulder at his brother and sister in law. “Adam told Jenny I need to look hot because he didn’t want you to out dress me.”

“Kaleb?!” Adam laughed embarrassingly.

“Well…” Kaleb shrugged innocently at Adams reproving tone.

“Well you look hot.” Chase replied looking into those pale blue eyes. They shared a moment between them as if they were the only ones in the room. After a few beats Chase released Kaleb’s hand. “Are you ready?”

“Yep…” Kaleb glanced down at the paper seeing the picture of Chase and Scott. “What’s this?” He questioned with knitted brows as he picked up the paper to get a closer look.

“That’s Chase and Scott Chamberlain.” Helen offered quickly giving a Chase a menacing smile.

“Who’s Scott?” Kaleb asked directing his question to Chase. The room fell silent for a moment and all eyes were on Chase.

“Scott is a friend of mine. He was giving an award dinner last night and I was his escort.” Chase answered honestly.

“Oh…” Kaleb shrugged casually glancing over the paper one last time before placing it back on the table. “You know now that you’re my boyfriend you can’t go around taking pictures with other guys people might talk you know?” He advised.

“Don’t worry I won’t be taking any pictures with any more guys. I promise.” It was obvious that statement was directed at Helen.

“Okay…” Kaleb smiled. “I need to get my backpack then we can leave.”

“Um…Kaleb don’t you want to leave your backpack at home this time?” Helen asked.

“No. Why would I do that? You don’t leave your purse at home when you go out. It has all my important stuff in it.” He charged.

“Touché.” Adam snickered under his breath.

“Okay…okay.” Helen waved in defeat.

“I’ll be right back Chase.” Kaleb’s voice trailed off as he skipped out of the room.

“It was nice meeting you Adam.” Chase extended his hand.

“You too man. Oh and sorry about what Kaleb said.”

“Don’t be. You two did a great job not that you had to do much, I mean look at him.” Chase smiled proudly. “Jenny.” He acknowledged, while taking her hand into his. “Though we were not formally introduced. It was nice meeting you too.”

“Thank you.” She blushed.

“Mrs. Fitzgerald, I won’t keep him out too late.” He assured her. Kaleb meet him at the door with his Spiderman backpack slung tightly over his shoulder.

“Let’s go.”

~*~*~

The ride over to the pier was a pleasant one. Which Chase was becoming accustomed to, being around Kaleb was just easy. Chase listened as Kaleb animatedly reenacted his day at the clinic. He was passionate about what he did and Chase could hear it in his voice. Though the inflection of tone was unique, he was starting to get used to it.

They arrived at the Navy Pier just in time to board before the dinner ship was set to leave the dock. Chase had anticipated Kaleb’s excitement, which was why he chose this as their first date. The Chicago skyline from the middle of Lake Michigan was breathtaking as it kissed the rustic sky with the sun setting off to the west. The serene backdrop would prove to be calming for most, but then again Kaleb was not most.

"You're server will be right with you, sir...." the host spoke before shooting an unsure look at Kaleb. "...and sir..." He cleared his throat and quickly made his exit. Once he was out of sight, Chase unfolded his cloth napkin and placed it in his lap. When he finished he looked up to find Kaleb smiling sheepishly with his cloth napkin tucked into his collar. Chase snickered before picking up his menu. He scanned the choices.

"So, you see anything you like?" He asked, not bothering to look up. Kaleb pouted as he looked over the menu, the space between his eyebrows creasing.

"This is all seafood." Kaleb pointed out, displeased.

"Yes, but they also have chicken, duck, and beef." Chase countered. "See," he pointed to the other items on the menu.

"But, I'm allergic to seafood." Kaleb responded, still upset.

"Okay, you don't have to order the seafood." Chase stated carefully as he looked at Kaleb with concern. "I didn't know you were allergic to seafood."

"Oh, I am." Kaleb confirmed, nodding his head. "One time, we had catfish for dinner and my whole face puffed up. Like this," Kaleb used to hands to show how big his face was.

"Maybe it was just the catfish." Chase offered.

Kaleb shook his head. "I don't care, I don't trust seafood."

Chase chuckled. "Okay, Kaleb. Then we can try the Caramelized Duck en Croute." He suggested. "It's Duck Confit, Forest Mushrooms, Sage and Monterrey Jack cheese baked in Puff pastry, served over spaghetti squash, with dried cherries, candied pecans, and a drizzle of Marsala Wine Demi-glaze." Chase licked his lips hungrily. "Ooh....doesn't it sound great?" He asked excitedly. He waited for a moment and when Kaleb didn't respond, he looked up.

Kaleb was looking confusedly over the menu. "Just one question...is this the appetizer or the dessert?"

"The appetizer, of course." Chase clarified as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Just then, a woman with dark hair pulled into a ponytail walked up to their table.

"Hello, my name is Julie. I will be your server for the evening." She greeted with a smile. "Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"Yes, I will have a nice crisp Riesling." Chase requested and then gestured to Kaleb. Julie looked in his direction and smiled.

"And for you, sir?"

"Uh, do you have Sprite?" Kaleb asked.

"Yes, we do. Would like that?" Julie asked.

"Yes, please." Kaleb nodded.

"And I think we are ready to order." Chase spoke up. "We want the Caramelized Duck en Croute for the first course."

"Okay." Julie wrote down his order.

"But, I don't want that." Kaleb countered. "I don't even like duck."

"Well, then, what do you like?" Chase asked patiently. For some reason, he wasn't annoyed. If it had been anyone else he would have thought them unappreciative and uncultured. But Kaleb was different. He cared about his likes and dislikes.

"Do you have mozzarella sticks?" Kaleb asked Julie.

Julie's eyes shifted from Kaleb to Chase, then back to Kaleb unsurely. "I'm sorry, but we don't have those." Julie answered, bewildered.

"Oh," Kaleb voiced disappointedly. Chase noticed Kaleb's crestfallen expression and immediately wanted to fix it. He grabbed his wallet from his back pocket and turned to Julie.

"Why don't you go check?" He insisted, slipping her a hundred dollar bill. Julie's eyes widened as she quickly pocketed the cash.

"I will be right back with your drinks." She bid and walked away. Chase gave a short nod before looking back at Kaleb who returned his glance with a knowing stare.

"What?" Chase asked innocently.

"You didn't have to do that." Kaleb answered shortly.

"Do what?" Chase smirked, playing dumb. Kaleb raised a disbelieving eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest. "Okay, but I just want you to be happy." Chase admitted.

"I understand that, Chase." Kaleb said with a sigh. He looked down at his menu with a frown and shut his eyes tightly as he shook his head to clear it. His eyes wandered back to Chase's calculating gaze. "Is it really that easy?"

"Is what easy?" Chase questioned.

"If you want something, all you have to do is wave some money around and it's yours." Kaleb stated with a shrug.

"That's a general way of putting it, yes." Chase conceded. "If you have the means, that is." he added.

"I hardly think mozzarella sticks are worth a hundred dollars."

"It won't be missed. Like I said, I just want you to be happy."

"I am happy."

"Good." Chase smiled and his eyes returned to the menu. "Okay, what would you like for the main course?"

"Is this all they have to choose from?" Kaleb asked, looking at the five options for the main course.

"Yeah, it's what they are making this evening."

Kaleb scrunched up his nose in distaste and sat the menu aside. "I really appreciate this, Chase, but to be honest with you, nothing here appeals to me."

"Really?" Chase asked. "Not even the beef ribs?"

"I hope I'm not being a bother." Kaleb apologized.

"No, no, of course not!" Chase quickly rejected the idea. He sat back into his chair and thought as he watched Kaleb toy with the end of the tablecloth. As he thought back, he didn't remember asking Kaleb once where he wanted to go. He groaned internally at his mistake and selfishness. Silently reprimanding himself he apologized to Kaleb, causing him to look up curiously.

"What are you sorry for?"

"I thought a fancy dinner on a boat would be the perfect date, but I didn't bother asking what you wanted to do." Chase explained.

Kaleb shrugged. "I don't mind. It's not a big deal."

Chase shook his head. "It is a big deal. I'm glad you have been honest with me this whole time, otherwise I wouldn't have known you were allergic to fish, or that you get sea sick, or that you don't eat duck." Chase listed off.

"Honesty is the best policy," Kaleb agreed. "However I didn't know I could get seasick until earlier.” He chuckled. Chase laughed and sighed.

"Alright, Kaleb, what do you want to eat for dinner? The ball is in your court. We can go anywhere you want."

"Anywhere?"

"Anywhere.” Chase confirmed.

~~**

Chase frowned wishing he could take back his words as he looked down at his "dinner." He glanced at Kaleb and watched as he ate happily. When Kaleb noticed he stopped and gestured towards Chase's food.

"Well, go ahead. Dig in!" He said excitedly.

"Um, I'm fine. You just worry about yourself.” Chase said, trying deflect the attention off him and his untouched sandwich that was still wrapped in the yellow paper.

"Come on, it won't kill you!" Kaleb assured and bit into his double cheeseburger.

Sure, it won't. Chase thought as he hesitantly unwrapped his Southern Style Chicken Sandwich. Kaleb watched in anticipation as Chase slowly took a small bit and chewed for moment. It was as if he was afraid his heart would stop at any second. Chase swallowed with a loud gulp and sat for a moment, not sure how to react. Then, his eyes widened and he smiled hugely before taking another bite.

"See, I told you it was good!" Kaleb chuckled.

"You were right." Chase agreed and looked out the window at the Golden Arches that had guided them to the establishment.

The rest of their date was perfect. They laughed getting to know each other, both having stories of growing up to tell. The most important thing he learned about Kaleb was that he was painfully honest and he liked that, there was no guessing involved. He was also great at telling jokes as well.

“You know Kaleb a person could go to jail for that.” Chase said through a boisterous laugh.

“I know right...” Kaleb replied bumping shoulders with Chase as his laughter faded to a soft chuckle. “I saw that television one night.” He admitted.

“That was funny.” Chase laughed using his finger to wipe the tear from his eye. That seemed to be what he was doing all night. Kaleb had a way of making him laugh, at lot of the time without even trying. He had a way making him feel relaxed. “How about a night cap?” He asked taking Kaleb’s hand into his own lacing their fingers together.

“A night cap?” Kaleb parroted looking up into Chase’s deep green eyes.

“Yes....” Chase pressed his lips together in a tight line trying to hide the smirk threatening to force its way out.

“Oh...okay.” He said softly as Chase led him down the pier.

There was a gentle breeze being carried over Lake Michigan. The pier was full of people milling about enjoying the attractions. A mixture of hickory smoke accompanied with that of fresh seafood wafted the air struggling for dominance over the smell of sweet kettle corn and cotton candy.

“Mmmm... This is sooo good.” Kaleb muttered through a mouth full of ice cream.

“I love banana splits.” Chase replied as he pulled the spoon from his mouth. “It was my favorite as a child. When we brought home good report cards my mom would treat us to a banana split.” He explained while digging into the dish.

“I didn’t know this was what you meant when you said you wanted a night cap.” He giggled as he scooped up another spoon full of caramel. They sat on the dock sharing ice cream while they waited on the nightly fireworks display done at the Navy Pier every evening at 10:30pm.

“Hey save me some.” Chase teased while stealing the caramel off Kaleb’s spoon.

“You ate all the nuts and the cherries.” Kaleb charged waving his spoon at Chase.

“I did not. You ate the last cherry.” He laughed reaching for Kaleb’s spoon.

Kaleb snatched the spoon out of his grasp sticking out his tongue teasingly. “Ah-ah-ah...old man.”

“Old man...this old man can handle you.” Chase assured him as he reached across the table. Kaleb pulled the spoon back over his head ignoring the ice cream dripping down his hand.

Chase smirked slyly as he leaned in closer. Their faces were now mere inches apart, hearts pounding so hard it hurt. The scent of caramel and cherries were so strong it was intoxicating. Chase inhaled deeply as Kaleb’s pale blue eyes melted right into his deep green ones. The lump he attempted to swallow got caught somewhere deep inside. This was it…their first kiss.

Kaleb slowly closed his eyes, his lips puckered as Chase moved ever so close inch by painful inch.

He felt a spark searing though his body as their lips touched. Kaleb’s lips were firm yet soft at the same time, still cool from the ice cream. The moans that filtered through the air were indistinguishable. Chase closed his eyes as he reached behind Kaleb’s head pulling him forward as he pressed his tongue between Kaleb’s parted lips, tasting the sweetness inside. He was the first to taste his tongue and lips that were now hot. He was the one giving Kaleb his first kiss, and the best part…Kaleb was kissing him back.

The crackling sounds of rockets over head startled Kaleb causing him to break the kiss abruptly. “Oh my god! It’s time it’s time.” He clapped excitedly.

“Huh…” Chase stammered coming from his fog. Kaleb licked his lips beaming brightly.

“We have to go see the fireworks. Come on.” He exclaimed standing to his feet.

“Um…okay.” Chase sighed as he combed his fingers though his hair. “That had to be the hottest kiss ever and all he cares about are the fireworks and not the ones raging inside me right now.” He thought as Kaleb pulled him through the crowd. Chase grabbed Kaleb’s backpack off the bench and tossed it over his shoulder.

Kaleb managed to get them in the front of the crowded seawall. It was as if he’d all but forgotten about the kiss that still burned Chase’s lip.

“This is beautiful.” Kaleb called back over his shoulder as he grabbed the hem of Chase’s shirt pulling him close behind.

“It is…” Chase agreed as he stepped up closing the space between them. Kaleb rested his back against Chase’s chest staring up at the sky that was full of wondrous colors that lit up the night.

“You’re the best boyfriend ever!” Kaleb shouted while wrapping Chase’s arm tightly around his waist. Chase sighed contently as he pulled them closer while resting his chin in Kaleb’s hair. “He could get used to this feeling, it was one he hadn’t felt in a long time, and it felt really good.

“Wow!” Excitement laced Kaleb’s voice; it was if he was walking on air. He bounced with every step like an excited little boy. “Thank you so much.” He smiled brightly as he tightened his hold on Chase’s hand.

“You’re welcome, baby.” Chase replied bringing Kaleb’s hand to his lips kissing it softly.

“I like that.”

“What?”

“You calling me baby.” Kaleb smiled into Chase’s eyes.

“Okay.” Chase replied. He hadn’t even thought about it. Calling Kaleb baby just seemed natural. He knew this was moving fast, but for some reason he didn’t mind. Kaleb made him feel good, and it was a feeling he wanted to hold on to for as long as he could, if not forever.

Once inside the car Chase hit a small black button on the steering wheel and within a few seconds, the roof of the car started to retract.

“Cool!” Kaleb clapped, his eyes widened with amusement as he watched over his head until the roof was tucked neatly inside. Chase enjoyed seeing the enthusiasm in Kaleb’s eye; knowing he was the one who put it there. “You have to let me drive your car one day. I know how.” He assured him.

“I know you, told me. ” Chase reminded him. “And I will.” He promised as he shifted into first.

His eyes were focused on the road when he heard a slight distraction to his right. He glanced over to the handsome man sitting beside him. He was digging into his Spiderman backpack.

“What ya doing?” He asked before turning his attention back to the road. Kaleb just grinned cheekily while pulling out his journal.

“It’s my journal.” He replied simply as he pulled the cap off his pen.

“Do you write in it often?” Chase asked casually while keep his eyes on the road.

“Every day.” Kaleb smiled focusing his attention on the blank page.

“Really?”

“Yep.”

“I’m I in there? Are we in there?” Chase asked curiosity getting the better of him.

“Of course silly.” Kaleb giggled as he continued to write. “The first day I saw you. The second day I saw you. The third day-“

“I get it…” Chase chuckled in amusement cutting his statement short.

“Well you asked.” Kaleb retorted with a slight shrug of the shoulder. “I have the day you saved my life.” He added with a warm reflective smile.

“Cool.”

“Now I can add our first date and my first real kiss.” He beamed. “That had to be the best kiss ever, I felt it all the way to my toes.” He laughed. "Even though I have nothing to compare it to, you’ve gotta be the best kisser ever.” He stated honestly, as he tapped the pen against his chin before putting it to the page again.

Chase laughed aloud at Kaleb’s candidness. If he wasn’t careful, he was sure to fall in love not only with Kaleb, but also with his beautiful mind. He tenderly caressed Kaleb’s cheek with the back of his hand and smiled admiringly as they headed back to the suburbs. He had to agree with Kaleb on one thing, this was by far the best date he’d ever been on.

Chase receives unexpected news from home and a surprising invitation to lunch has him concerned.

A note from me... ;) wanted to thank everyone reading the story. They say a writer loves to write, which is true, but sharing for me is half the fun...glad you guys are digging my lil story.

Kim

Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/07/2011 04:55 AM, charlieocho said:
This is unbelievably good! The characters and their dialogue feel very real. Looking forward to lots more.:boy:
Unbelievably good is a great thing...I'm having a lot of fun writing it so glad to see you're enjoying...I got more coming :D
Link to comment

I really enjoyed reading this chapter. Thanks for posting this wonderful storybiggrin.gif it was just what I needed after a miserable rainy day of school. I was looking forward to Chase and Kalebs' date and you did not disappoint. Lol I was at first scared that the date was going to go horrible wrong because of Kalebs' reaction to the menu and the fact that he didn't like anything there. I was very happy when Chase brought Kaleb to a different place where he likes the food and is comfortable. Also, I liked how Chase didn't let Helen ruin his date with Chase and the way he didn't let her intimidate him. Besides Helen, I really like Adam and hope to see a lot more of him. Can't wait to read more.

Link to comment
On 09/07/2011 09:21 AM, bookjunky18 said:
I really enjoyed reading this chapter. Thanks for posting this wonderful storybiggrin.gif it was just what I needed after a miserable rainy day of school. I was looking forward to Chase and Kalebs' date and you did not disappoint. Lol I was at first scared that the date was going to go horrible wrong because of Kalebs' reaction to the menu and the fact that he didn't like anything there. I was very happy when Chase brought Kaleb to a different place where he likes the food and is comfortable. Also, I liked how Chase didn't let Helen ruin his date with Chase and the way he didn't let her intimidate him. Besides Helen, I really like Adam and hope to see a lot more of him. Can't wait to read more.
Nothing like good reading on dreary rainy day...glad I could help, also happy enjoyed their date too. Helen is a piece of work for sure, but it seems like Chase can handle her. I like Adam too, do worry he'll be back. Thanks for much for reading and posting a comment.Kim
Link to comment

I know you said that my comments doesn't count since it's me but I wanted to left one anyway.

You know how I love this story. I was right there at the beginning and frankly I was afraid you wouldn't pursue it. I know that I said I was proud of myself because of the 5 chapters thing but really it's your writing that made people like your story.

You made us love Kaleb and Chase and hate some other too.

We didn't talk about this chapter since I didn't had time to beta it but I want to know that I particulary love it. The first kiss was spectacular and I love how Chase stood up for himself and there realtionship to Helen.

I can't wait to read the next chapter (that should be in my email by now, psst psst).

I love you girl.

Link to comment
On 09/09/2011 11:05 PM, loahisi said:
I know you said that my comments doesn't count since it's me but I wanted to left one anyway.

You know how I love this story. I was right there at the beginning and frankly I was afraid you wouldn't pursue it. I know that I said I was proud of myself because of the 5 chapters thing but really it's your writing that made people like your story.

You made us love Kaleb and Chase and hate some other too.

We didn't talk about this chapter since I didn't had time to beta it but I want to know that I particulary love it. The first kiss was spectacular and I love how Chase stood up for himself and there realtionship to Helen.

I can't wait to read the next chapter (that should be in my email by now, psst psst).

I love you girl.

Awww...thank you mattie. I didn't mean it dosen't matter, I just mean...well lol. Thanks for believing in the story even when I didn't. I'm having fun writing it. I think Chase and Kaleb are petty cool to. I get you don't dig Helen and Scott lol but they are fun to write too. Glad you are helping me with story, love ya back girl. MWAH!!!!
Link to comment

Oh, I'm digging it; I'm digging it a lot. I love these characters and the gentle way the story is unfolding. Wonderful

Link to comment
On 09/15/2011 07:50 AM, Nephylim said:
Oh, I'm digging it; I'm digging it a lot. I love these characters and the gentle way the story is unfolding. Wonderful
Really???? *Blushes* Awww... I'm trying Chase is totally different then one would expect, but then again so is Kaleb..I think they make a great couple sighs...but people view things differently, just saying ;) Thanks so much for the comment and reading..I'm all...over here :)Kim
Link to comment

I made it this far in one sitting. Unbelievable...I feel like I am right there with Chase and Kaleb. You write with a paint brush it seems.

I only have one thought....In one paragraph the tension is palatable, you might mean palpable instead.

 

I will definitely be reading this to its conclusion..Thanks for posting it for our reading pleasure.

Link to comment
On 09/16/2011 01:39 AM, Swhouston44 said:
I made it this far in one sitting. Unbelievable...I feel like I am right there with Chase and Kaleb. You write with a paint brush it seems.

I only have one thought....In one paragraph the tension is palatable, you might mean palpable instead.

 

I will definitely be reading this to its conclusion..Thanks for posting it for our reading pleasure.

Swhouston44. It's I that should be thanking you... so thank you.. 'palpable...yes changed it. thanks good looking out ;) WOW...a paint brush, that has to be the nicest comparison I've ever had... I was grinning all the way home from work...lol again thank you so much. Kim
Link to comment

i'm so in love with this story and especially Kaleb and Chase :) each character is great himself , but interacting as a couple is a tenfold increasebiggrin.png

i liked that Chase stood up against Helen.. what is wrong with her? it looked like she would to anything to destroy any kind of band that delveloped between Kaleb and Chase until now, just to get her point across Kaleb is not able to be in a relationship. The ""cold"" coming across here was palpable. to mention the money( again!!) and the newspaper with the photo was low. but than Kaleb entered the room and from this time i really had to laugh. his way of seeing things is refreshing :) and we all can learn a thing or two from him..lol how he reacted on the photo and the backpack (purse) remark was great!! touche..haha

well the dinner went as expected for me..and you can learn for life: Honesty is the best policy.. i had to think alot about this and thought about situations in life..the all day compromise we made between being honest and to not want friends to embarrass... but this would go too far.. we talk later!! agian Chase acting here was great, you can tell he really cares about Kaleb. but the best thing is this is vice versa.. Kaleb , his choice of dinner , the jokes, the laughing and having ice cream, this all made Chase feel again. you could tell he really enjoys this ""lifestyle"" and doesn't need the "big partys". the kiss and the journal was the icing on the cake, and yes , best date ever thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

have agreat sunday, talk to you soon wub.png

Link to comment
On 08/31/2012 07:45 PM, Slytherin said:
Wonderful story. I loved it when Kaleb went to get his Spiderman backpack for the date *snickers*
What did he tell his mom, she wouldn't leave without her purse....LOL
Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 04:55 AM, Frostina said:
oooh! WOW! just when you think it can't get any better... ^_^

cant get enough of these two! :D wonderful story!

How am I missing your reviews, as much as I love reviews, I live for them...Damn, Frosty, I'm sorry...and thank you so very much for posting a comment....better late then never, I hope... *hugs*
Link to comment

So sweet I'm in a sugar coma :lmao:. Loved how Kaleb was so excited by his date he couldn't wait for it to be over to start journaling about it. Fun story, thanks.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..