Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 2,917 Words
  • 3,977 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Alex - 3. Chapter 3

“Dad!”

Frank raised tired eyes to see his one and only daughter bearing down on him along the hospital corridor. He groaned inwardly. Why had he told her? With a sigh, he put down the paperwork he’d been reading and stood up to greet her.

“Where is he? Can I see him?”

“He’s asleep. Sit down. What are you doing here?”

“Are you serious?” She flopped down onto a squeaky plastic seat and stared at him as if he had two heads. “You call to tell me that, after all this time, you finally found Alex, and you expect me not to drop everything and run?”

“I told you not to.”

“Since when do I listen to what you tell me to do? Now, where is he?”

“I told you; he’s asleep.”

“I don’t care. I just want to see him.” She gave Frank her ‘Please, Daddy’ look, with big eyes and jutting lip. “Please, please, please, please, please.”

“Lacey, be quiet. Stop behaving like a child. This is a hospital.”

Lacey looked shocked at his sharp tone. “Oh. I’m sorry.” Suddenly, her eyes widened. “Oh. He is alright isn’t he? He’s not…hurt, or….? Dad?”

Frank sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “He’s got a bad chest infection and he’s running a fever. They’ve got him on IV antibiotics for twenty four hours, but they don’t think it’s going to turn into anything worse.”

Lacey visibly relaxed. “That’s okay, then. So, what’s the problem?”

“There are lots of problems, Lacey.”

“None we can’t fix, though. Not now we’re all together again. Mam would have been so happy, Dad, so proud of you. She always knew you could do it.”

“Yeah, I did it. I really did it.”

“What’s wrong?” Lacey scrutinized him with uncomfortable intensity. “What aren’t you telling me? Is it Alex?”

“There are a lot of things I haven’t told you. You haven’t given me a chance.”

“Oh. I know. Sorry, Dad. It’s just…. I’m…. Can’t I see him, Dad? Please. Just for a minute. I know he’s asleep and I won’t wake him. Please. Just a peep. Just for a minute.”

Frank sighed. He knew there was no use arguing. Lacey almost always got what she wanted, especially from her father.

“Just a peep. A few minutes.”

Lacey grinned wide. “Thanks, Dad. Where is he?” She bounded to her feet and looked around as if expecting to see Alex right there in the waiting room.

“This way.” Frank took her arm and guided her along a short corridor. He paused outside a door. “Lacey, be sensible. He’s been through a lot.”

The bounce disappeared, to be replaced by the fierceness that always appeared when any of her brothers were threatened in any way, even by trouble from him.

“I know that, Dad. I’m not naïve. Neither am I completely insensitive or an idiot. I know it’s not going to be easy, for any of us, but I’ve been waiting for this for so long. I’ll take care of him. I swear.”

“I know you will, honey, but please be careful. He’s fragile, very fragile. He’s…. I’ll explain later. For now, just be careful. He’s sedated so he shouldn’t wake, but if he does, don’t…overwhelm him.”

Lacey gave him an odd look but didn’t say anything. She simply nodded and squeezed his hand before pushing open the door and slipping inside. After a moment’s hesitation, Frank followed.

The expression on his daughter’s face, very nearly tore Frank Prosser’s heart out. He’d rarely seen Lacey at a loss for words, but he had the feeling she couldn’t have spoken now if her life depended on it. She was totally absorbed in her brother, and it was as beautiful as it was heart-breaking.

In the time since they’d first met, Alex – no Sacha; he had to get used to calling him Sacha – had showered and his hair was clean and shining. What had first appeared brown was a rich red, shot through with flashes of copper fire. It was darker than the flame haired beauty that was his sister, but still fiery and beautiful.

Lacey ran long strands through her fingers. She looked up at Frank. “It’s so long,” she said, drawing her own copper curls over her shoulder. “Longer than mine.”

She sounded shocked. Frank smiled and nodded, not knowing what to say.

Fortunately, Lacey wasn’t waiting for a reply. She continued her tactile exploration of her brother by gently stroking his cheek.

“He’s so…delicate. I thought he’d look older.”

“Yes, so did I.”

“Are you sure?”

“That it’s Alex?” Lacey nodded. “What do you think?”

Lacey bit her lip and stroked Sacha’s cheek again. Sacha sighed and murmured something in his sleep. For a moment, he opened his eyes and stared around blankly, before drifting off again.

“Oh,” Lacey said, “he has our eyes.”

“Yes.”

Lacey sat down and took Sacha’s hand. After a little while she started to speak softly. Frank had to strain to hear what she was saying.

“Hey, Alex. I’m Lacey, your big sister. You probably don’t remember me, but I remember you. You were a proper little brat.” She paused and laughed. “No, you weren’t; you were an angel. The sweetest kid. You still look like an angel. When did you get to be so beautiful? I’ll have to watch it. I’m supposed to be the beautiful one.” Lacey tried to laugh but there was precious little humour in the sound that made it past her tight throat.

“I don’t know where you’ve been, Alex, or what you’ve been doing, and I don’t really care. You’re my little brother, just like you always were, and I’m going to take care of you, just like I always did.

“Wait until Adam sees you. He’s gone all medical so he’ll probably want to take your tonsils out or something. And don’t worry if James says he hates you for a while. He probably will, but he’ll get over it. He’s jealous, that’s all. He’s the brat, but a precious one, and he’ll love you in the end, just like the rest of us.”

Again, Sacha stirred and murmured something, then whimpered, rolling his head on the pillow. Lacey stroked his forehead and soothed him until he was peaceful again. Frank smiled, a lump in his throat. When had she turned into her mother?

When he was sure both children were okay, Frank returned to the waiting room, intending to immerse himself in paperwork again, but he’d read through the same paragraph four times when he heard his name called and looked up again.

A young man in police uniform was hurrying down the corridor toward him. Frank sighed and shook his head. “She hasn’t got you to drop everything as well, has she?” he asked irritably. Lacey had her boyfriend as thoroughly wrapped around her little finger as she had her father.

“It’s alright, I was coming off shift. I’m off until Saturday so we’re good for a few days.”

“Great,” Frank grumbled. “I was hoping you’d have to take her home tonight.”

Luke grinned. Once, a comment like that would have thrown him but he was used to the Frank/Lacey dynamic by now. It had taken almost three years, but he’d got there.

“’Fraid not, Frank. You know what Lacey’s like when her mind’s set. She booked rooms on the way down in the car and she’s already decided Alex is travelling home with us.”

“What do you mean ‘home’?” Frank asked, alarmed, the threat of a looming battle with his daughter rearing before his eyes.

“Don’t look so worried,” Luke said, throwing himself into a chair and crossing his long legs at the ankles. “Not even Lacey is daft enough to suggest we take him back to ours.”

Frank relaxed and sighed. Luke and Lacey were doing well enough. Lacey had just finished the second year of a Social Sciences degree and was well on her way to her chosen profession of primary school teacher. Luke was in his last six month probation in the police force, and had applied to the Criminal Investigation Department. As a chief inspector, Frank’s recommendation went a long way and he fully expected Luke to be accepted. Not that it amounted to nepotism, not at all. Luke was wet behind the ears but he had everything it took, and more, to be an excellent CID officer one day.

Adam, too was well settled, married to a sweet woman and co running a thriving general practice in a very pretty village in Surrey. He sighed. At least two of his children were okay. James…well…he’d be okay too - when he stopped hating the world and blaming Alex for stealing his mother.

“So, is Lacey…you know…with him?”

“With Alex? Yes, although we’re going to have to get used to calling him Sacha now.”

“Sacha? Why?”

“Because it’s his name; the only one he knows now.”

“Harsh. That’s going to be tricky.”

“Yeah.”

“So is he…okay?”

“Not by a long shot, Luke. Not by a long shot.”

“What…? Is he sick? Hurt? A criminal?” Luke chuckled, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

“He’s hurt, Luke. Hurt deep and I don’t know if I can fix him.”

“We’ll all fix him. No one can resist the whole Prosser clan when they get together and work their magic. Look at me.”

Frank smiled. Luke had been something of a lost cause when Lacey first brought him home. A bad boy with a liking for hard rock and hard liquor, he was what Mary had termed a loveable rogue. She’d taken him under her wing and six months later he was enrolled in the police academy.

“You’re different,” Frank said fondly.

“So,” Luke said after a short silence. “What’s the crack with him?”

“I’d prefer to wait for the family meeting.”

“What family meeting?”

“The one we’re going to have when Adam gets here. It was going to be just the two of us, but I guess any chance of that is out of the window now.”

Luke snorted. “You know Lacey.”

“Yes, I do, which is why I didn’t want her involved in the meeting.”

“Why?”

“Go in there and take a look at the expression on her face. While you’re doing it, imagine that in half an hour or so you’re going to be telling her exactly where the baby brother she’s fallen in love with all over again, has been for the past eight years and what those bastards did to him.”

Luke blanched. “As bad as that?”

“Possibly. We’re waiting on the results of some tests, but I’m pretty sure of what they’re going to say. Not even he knows the worst of it yet.”

“Jesus, is he going to be okay?”

“Physically, yeah, well…mostly. Mentally, I seriously doubt it.”

“This is going to destroy Lacey. You should have heard her on the way here. She’s got plans.”

“Lacey makes, breaks and changes plans like the wind. She’s stronger than she looks.”

“I know that, but this is her brother, man. She’s weird when it comes to her brothers.”

Frank chuckled. “She more like her mother than she knows. Let me tell you something, Luke; my boys aren’t her brothers, they’re her kids.”

“I figured that. It’s taken some getting used to.”

Frank chuckled again. “Hold on to your hat. It’s about to get a whole lot worse. She’s finally got one who really needs her.”

“She’s already got one, Frank. James.”

“James doesn’t need her. James needs her attention. I know he was pushed aside and he deserved better, but he’s not fragile. He’s not damaged and he’s not broken. He’s angry and he’ll get over it. I honestly don’t know if Sacha will ever get over what happened to him.”

“Has the hospital shrink spoken to him?”

“No. He’s been sedated since he’s been here. They’re coming down to see him in the morning. They won’t let him out of here until they’ve signed him off.”

“That’s sensible.”

“Yeah.”

“Luke.”

Luke shot to his feet at the sound of Lacey’s voice and she threw herself into his arms. She was laughing and crying at the same time. “He’s home, Luke,” she said. “He’s really home. Come and meet my brother. Come meet Alex.”

“His name’s not Alex, Lacey.” Frank said gently. “You have to get used to that right from the start, or it will be a real problem for you.”

Lacey laughed. “He’s Alex. He’ll always be Alex.”

Frank got to his feet and Lacey’s eyes widened at his severe expression.

“His name is not Alex, not anymore. If you insist on calling him Alex you’ll alienate him from the start. If you won’t call him Sacha, the only name he can ever remember being his, you’re taking something very important away from him. It’s going to be a hard enough struggle for him as it is, trying to find who he is, without adding that. It’s a small thing to us, but a huge thing to him. He has to know we accept him for who he is, not who he was.”

“Oh. I didn’t think of that. I’m sorry. I’ll call him…what is it? Sacha? Really? Do I have to? It just doesn’t sound right. Sacha is...well okay for someone from Russia, not someone from Surry. He sounds like a stripper or something. You know James’s going to take the piss right?”

“James will do what he’s told.”

“Only when you’re there. He’s going to make Al…Sacha’s life a misery if we don’t handle it right. James’ a brat.”

“He’s angry with me. He won’t take it out on Sacha.”

Lacey gaped at him and shook her head. “Dad, you’ve lost touch badly. Kids aren’t like that and James definitely isn’t like that. Yeah, he’s angry with you for sending him away, but he’s angry with me, too, for not staying home to care for him, so you wouldn’t have to. He’s angry with Mum for dying and Adam for not needing us anymore. But most of all, he’s angry with Alex. Because he wasn’t here. Because he was all you and Mum were thinking about, in the last days, and he didn’t suffer when she died. He’s pinned everything on Alex, because he just wasn’t here to stop him.”

“I think you’re overreacting, Lacey. James was always an attention seeker and sulked when he didn’t get what he wanted. He got over it then, and he’ll get over it now.”

Lacey rolled her eyes. “Now I know for sure it was Mum who parented us. If it had been you god knows where we’d be now. Don’t worry, I’ll handle James, and I’ll try to remember to call Alex, Sacha.”

Frank sighed and shook his head at her as she dragged Luke away.

Forcing himself to pay attention to the paperwork didn’t help much. It was pretty grim reading. He was glad when his phone buzzed in his pocket, distracting him. A glance told him it was his best friend and close colleague, Peter Mason.

“What you go for me, Pete?” he asked, ignoring the glare of the nurses at the station.

“Bad news all round, mate. The bastard got away. Not a sign anywhere, and no one’s talking.”

“What a surprise.”

“Don’t worry. They’ll get him.”

“It’s killing me that I have to rely on someone else to get the job done.”

“DCI Herbert is a good man, a good detective with a good team. If anyone can do this, he can, and he’s more than happy to liaise. You’re lucky with that. You know how territorial those DCI’s can get.”

Frank huffed, acknowledging the humour if not sharing it. “I suppose. Any other news?”

“We’ve had some initial reports back from the fire.”

Frank’s heart stopped, and he had to remind himself to breathe. “And?”

“Seems like it was set before we even got involved. The house was burning before you made the call.”

“Shit. The bastard knew. He knew Sacha wanted out, and he knew he’d talk.” With a deep sigh, Frank ran his hands through his hair. “Any more?”

“Plenty. I’ll email you the file.”

“Thanks Pete.”

“How’s your boy?”

“I don’t know. Yesterday was rough on him. Finding out about the fire was the last straw. We had to get the doc to the station and they sedated him there. He’s been asleep ever since. I don’t know what’s going to happen when he wakes. He could be angry, scared, suicidal. He could hate me, want to run. He might refuse to have anything to do with me. The scary thing is that if he chooses to walk away there’s nothing I can do to stop him.”

“Has the pscyh seen him?”

“Tomorrow morning. They won’t let him go unless the psych’s happy with him.”

“Well, that’s one thing.”

“I’ll keep you informed.”

“Thanks. Look, don’t worry about the office. I’m holding the fort here. Take what time you need to be with your boy.”

“Thanks, Pete, I appreciate it.”

Frank slipped his phone back into his pocket, after waving off the angry nurse who was on her way to take him to task for using it in the first place. Angry nurses were nothing new, and not something he could be bothered with right then. He sighed heavily. He’d thought finding Alex would be the end of his troubles. He should have known it would be the beginning.

Copyright © 2014 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I am glad there is more to the story than just two chapters. When I saw the story marked as complete I was really disappointed. I'm guessing that was just an error since we have a third chapter and hopefully many more to come.

 

Thank you Nephylim for posting the story and keeping it going!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 03:15 AM, KevinD said:
Well I am glad there is more to the story than just two chapters. When I saw the story marked as complete I was really disappointed. I'm guessing that was just an error since we have a third chapter and hopefully many more to come.

 

Thank you Nephylim for posting the story and keeping it going!

No problem. There are a lot of adventures for Sacha to come. Just to warn you, though some of them are really tough
Link to comment

I second the vote that more chapters are to come. I was ready to pound my head against the wall in frustration. As for some of the coming chapters being "really tough" that is a hallmark of your style. I think we expect that.

Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 03:48 AM, Efmaer said:
I second the vote that more chapters are to come. I was ready to pound my head against the wall in frustration. As for some of the coming chapters being "really tough" that is a hallmark of your style. I think we expect that.
Thank you hun. I get awfully confused with that 'complete' button and have had to be gently nudged *cough* on it before :) There are 26 chapters in all and some will be sweet, some will be fun, and some will have you tearing out your hair, at least that's how I hope it will go down. I've explored some different territory so be prepared for surprises
Link to comment

As a dad, I so feel for this poor man as he has the wisdom to understand the pain and heartache for his son will be worse long before it might get better....

Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 04:44 AM, Daddydavek said:
As a dad, I so feel for this poor man as he has the wisdom to understand the pain and heartache for his son will be worse long before it might get better....
He's a man with an obsession which has consumed him for so long, and on the basis of which he has made some very bad decisions, who has come to the end of it and realizes it wasn't the end he'd imagined - or maybe hoped, it would be. I think he's going to suffer for his mistakes
Link to comment

That poor Alex...I mean Sasha!

I love the dialogue his sister said! Such a touching moment! Well done there!

The fire was a surprise! I was seriously hoping they got that guy. Hopefully Alex can be healed...I know it will take time.

Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 08:23 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
loved it and cannot wait to see how all this unfolds

 

Bob

Thank you. I've been reading through it to get it in shape to post and even I am surprised by some of the things I've said.
Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 10:01 AM, Astro said:
That poor Alex...I mean Sasha!

I love the dialogue his sister said! Such a touching moment! Well done there!

The fire was a surprise! I was seriously hoping they got that guy. Hopefully Alex can be healed...I know it will take time.

That guy is a slippery bugger. All I will say is that he get what he deserves at some point, but will deserve it a whole lot more by then
Link to comment

wow !!! what a great story, I will definitely be following this one to the very end.

Congratulations

Link to comment
On 04/30/2014 10:03 PM, quokka said:
wow !!! what a great story, I will definitely be following this one to the very end.

Congratulations

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.
Link to comment

How does anyone adapt back into a life they don´t remember, with people they don´t recognise? It´ll be difficult for them all.

Link to comment
On 06/26/2014 04:07 AM, Suvitar said:
How does anyone adapt back into a life they don´t remember, with people they don´t recognise? It´ll be difficult for them all.
I have no idea what I'd do. I think Lacey and Sacha do really well but the journey isn't easy by any means
Link to comment

Erm, I seriously don't like the sound of that fire. :/

I suspect I might be wanting to commit murder before this story goes all that far Nephy. I sense that the ******* has done something terrible.

But then to be that kind of creep and survive, you have a sixth sense of trouble heading your way, and have the ruthless balls to cut all ties and walk away.

 

Lacey reminds me of my next door neighbour when I used to live in Swansea. :P She's lush! ;)

Luke seems pretty sensible. He know's Lacey's in charge. :D

 

Long road ahead, and a lot of downs to come me finks.

Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 09:52 AM, Yettie One said:
Erm, I seriously don't like the sound of that fire. :/

I suspect I might be wanting to commit murder before this story goes all that far Nephy. I sense that the ******* has done something terrible.

But then to be that kind of creep and survive, you have a sixth sense of trouble heading your way, and have the ruthless balls to cut all ties and walk away.

 

Lacey reminds me of my next door neighbour when I used to live in Swansea. :P She's lush! ;)

Luke seems pretty sensible. He know's Lacey's in charge. :D

 

Long road ahead, and a lot of downs to come me finks.

Yes lots of ups and downs. To be expected with my stories, I think :D What that man did in he farmhouse was dreadful, and I based it on something I saw on Law and Order SVU In that one they didn't set a fire but they did poison all the children and leave them in a cellar to die. It's a cruel world and some people just don't deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..