Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 3,428 Words
  • 5,180 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Alex - 5. Chapter 5

“What the hell do you mean his condition’s deteriorated?” Lacey demanded from the back seat. “You said he was fine, that he just had a chest infection. How can he have got, ‘racing-through-town with-the-sirens-going, sick in a couple of hours?”

“I don’t know. I’ve told you everything I was told, Lacey. You know as much as I do.”

“What precisely did they say?” Adam demanded.

“I don’t know…. Acute something…. Respiratory arrest…distress…. I wasn’t listening by then. I just wanted to get the hell out and over there.”

“And they told you earlier it was just a chest infection?”

“Yes?”

“Not pneumonia? Pleurisy?”

“No. The doctor told me it was chest infection. They were giving him IV antibiotics for 24 hours to make sure but he thought it was probably a simple virus and would fix itself in a couple of days.”

“Hmm.”

Frank glanced in the mirror. Adam was chewing on the inside of his cheek. Frank knew that expression. He was thinking deeply about something.

“Do you know what kind of sedation they’re using?”

“No. No one ever said. Why?”

“Opiate suppress respiration. If he was being given an opiate based drug for sedation it might have made the chest infection worse, at least the effects of it. But it shouldn’t have got that bad that fast. Unless….”

“Unless what?” Frank’s professional senses were in overdrive. An uneasy prickle at the back of his neck caused his heart to flutter.

“Unless they gave him too much.”

“Accidentally?”

“Unlikely.”

“Jesus fucking Christ. He couldn’t have. Not right under the nose of the doctors, the nurses, CID….”

“It would be the perfect crime. Respiratory distress in a sedated patient with existing breathing problems is rarely that severe but it’s not unheard of. Someone would get their arses kicked for not realizing the seriousness of the underlying condition, but even if they did an autopsy it’s unlikely they’d pick up on the overdose if the sedative was fast acting. It would leave traces but he’s being sedated anyway so it wouldn’t be unexpected, not enough to ring bells.”

“What can we do?”

“Give me the phone. IF this was deliberate and IF someone is really trying to cover up they wouldn’t have given him a massive overdose. If they had he’d be dead already. My guess is they’ve added additional sedatives to the IV bag. They need to stop that as soon as—”Adam broke off when he was connected to the hospital and he diverted his attention to whoever he was talking to.

Thirty seconds later, Frank was shouting into his phone. “Idiots,” he yelled and disconnected the call. He immediately dialled the number he’d been given for the CID officer in charge of security at the hospital. Another minute and he was back on the road.

Negotiating the heavy traffic, Frank let out a stream of cursing that had everyone fall into shocked silence. Frank had a rule about swearing in front of his kids and he rarely broke it.

“Dad,” Adam said, at last. “You can’t blame the nurses for refusing to administer treatment to a dangerously ill patient on the say so of a complete stranger who isn’t even present in the hospital, especially when he’s raving on about attempted murder.”

“If anything happens to my son because of that…that smug….”

“Dad, you can’t—”

When Tchaikovsky began to play, Adam grabbed the phone before Frank could reach it, and took the call.

“Well?” Frank demanded, when Adam was done.

“I don’t know what your friends told them but they’ve done it. They’ve stopped the sedation and started him on an opiate antidote. If there’s an improvement by the time we get there, we’ll know.”

“We’ll know someone over medicated, not necessarily that someone tried to kill him.”

“True, but CID have pulled the CCTV footage of the corridor outside his room, and are questioning all staff who’ve been anywhere near it. Until proved otherwise they’re treating it as an attempted murder enquiry.”

“Good man.”

They rode in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Although they were only a few miles from the hospital as the crow flies, weaving through the streets and traffic of a busy city took time, even with the siren, and it took them twenty minutes to arrive at the doors and a further five to get up to Sacha’s room. They were challenged four times, the last at the door to the ward. Once inside, they were met by DCI Herbert himself.

“I’m sorry, Frank,” he began, causing Frank’s heart to fall into his boots. “I don’t know how it happened under our noses. There’s no doubt, I’m afraid. There was definitely a deliberate attempt on his life. The dosage of sedative in the IV bag was four times that prescribed and written up in the notes. If you hadn’t called when you did it would have killed him before you got here.”

“Is he…?”

“They’ve given him the antidote and he’s stabilized. You should speak to the doctor for more information.”

“What have you found?” As concerned as he was for Sacha, Frank just couldn’t help his training coming through.

“Precious little. We’ve viewed the CCTV and there are people coming and going all the time – nurses, doctors, auxiliaries. Even the bloody tea lady put her head round the door. Everyone seems to be accounted for.”

“Have you printed off the pictures? Maybe Sacha will recognise someone.”

“Already done and waiting.”

“Thank you.” Frank shook Herbert’s hand, squeezing tightly. He needed no more to convey the depth of emotion flooding him.

Lacey and Adam had already disappeared into Sacha’s room, but Frank was strangely reluctant. He felt helpless and that didn’t sit well with him at all. He’d let his son down for the second time and he almost lost him again.

“Mr Prosser?”

It took him a moment to realize a doctor was standing in front of him, speaking to him.

“I’m sorry, I was…. What’s the news?”

“I’m very sorry, Mr Prosser, I have no explanations for you. I’ve no idea how it can have happened; how someone could have—”

“I’m not interested in how it happened right now. Other people are onto that. I’m interested in my son.”

“I’m sorry. Of course.” The doctor nodded, making Frank want to kill him. Why didn’t he just get to the point? Why didn’t they ever just get to the point? “It was touch and go for a while. We almost lost him, but once we stopped the sedation and administered the antidote he stabilized very quickly. I’m confident there won’t be any long term adverse effects, although it hasn’t done his chest infection any good.”

“He’s going to be okay?”

“Fine. We intubated him after the arrest but he’s breathing on his own now and his blood oxygen levels are up to normal levels. He hasn’t woken yet, but it should be any time now. He’ll be very confused for a while but in a couple of hours he should be back to normal. I’d like to keep him here for another day, just to monitor things, but if everything goes well you can take him home Friday, pending the psych assessment, of course.”

“Of course. Thank you.”

With a lighter heart, Frank followed his children into Sacha’s room, nodding at the police officer on the door as he did so.

They were gathered around the bed, staring. Of course, Adam hadn’t seen his brother yet. No wonder he had that expression on his face. Luke was actually watching Lacey and Lacey wasn’t even there. If she had been lost before she was completely absorbed in him now. Frank couldn’t blame her.

“Dad.” Lacey’s urgent call, broke his thoughts and he oriented on her. She was gesturing wildly and he hurried to her side.

“What’s the matter?”

“He’s waking up, Dad, and you’re the only one he knows. If it was me I’d freak out if I woke up in a room full of strangers.”

All Frank could do was smile at her and laid a hand on her shoulder. That was exactly what her mother would have said.

“Sit down. He doesn’t need you looming over him.”

“Yes ma’am,” he chuckled as he sat down on the hard bench next to her. It occurred to him that he’d never seen those benches anywhere other than hospitals. What was it about hospital rooms that seemed to cry out for visitor discomfort? Maybe it was the hospital’s way of making sure people didn’t visit for too long.

Sacha coughed and moaned, rolling his head on the pillow. Lacey leaned over and stroked his forehead, freeing strands of his hair that were caught under the oxygen mask that covered his nose and mouth. He turned his face toward her hand and moaned again.

“It’s alright, sweetheart. Take your time. You’re safe now. Well…fairly. We’re all here. Your family.”

Sacha’s breath hitched and he coughed again. His forehead creased and he smacked his lips, bringing on another cough. Frank all but held his breath as Sacha’s eyelids flickered. Sacha whimpered and opened sticky eyes to blink up at Frank. He frowned sleepily for a moment, then his eyes widened and he sat up, tearing off the oxygen mask. He looked terrified.

“Easy, son, you’re alright. You’re in hospital, but you’re alright. You remember me, right?”

Sacha drew up his legs and backed against the headboard, hugging his knees. His eyes flicked from face to face, huge and golden in his pale, pinched face.

“Sacha?” Lacey’s gentle voice drew his attention and he turned his head to look at her. When she smiled her sweet smile, he ghosted it. “I’m Lacey. I’m your sister. You’ve no idea how glad I am to meet you.”

Sacha’s frown was strained. He looked as if he was about to burst into tears. Lacey slowly and carefully reached out to him, as if she was approaching a skittish wild animal. At first, he shrank away, but gradually he relaxed and let her touch his shoulder then slide her hand down his arm to link their fingers. All the while, his eyes searched her face. Frank wondered what he was looking for.

“There. See. I’m not going to hurt you, Alex. You’re my brother and I love you.”

Sacha shook his head and pulled his hand away. “No,” he whispered hoarsely. “Please,” He dropped his head to his knees and hugged himself harder.

“I think all this is too much, Lace,” Adam said quietly. “Let’s just leave him with Dad for a while.”

“But—”

“Just for a bit. Come on.”

Not allowing any protestation, Adam got Lacey to her feet and herded her out of the door. Luke, of course, followed.

When they had gone, Frank sat, with his head bowed, having no idea what to say. He heard movement and looked up. Sacha had unwound, laying back against the pillows, and was watching him.

“How are you feeling?”

“Okay.”

“Liar.” Frank smiled and his heart skipped when Sacha smiled back. It was a very small smile but it made Frank feel warm nevertheless. “Do you need anything?”

“No.”

They fell silent again, as Sacha stared at Frank, emotions flying across his face. Eventually, he sighed and closed his eyes.

“Why are you here?”

“Because I’m your father.”

Sacha opened his eyes again and frowned. “What does that mean?”

“I don’t understand. It means I’m your father. You’re my son.”

“And? What are you going to do with me?”

“Do with you? I’m not going to do anything with you, other than care for you. I would very much like you to come home with me. I’d like to get to know you, and for you to get to know me and the rest of your family again. But you don’t have to do any of that. You can do whatever you want. Go wherever you want. Tell me what you want; what you need, and I’ll do my best to make it happen.”

Sacha continued to frown. “Why?”

“I’ve already told you that. I’m your father, and that’s what fathers do. They take care of their children.”

“And you’re going to take care of me? Really?”

“Really.”

“How?”

“In any way you want.”

“Anything?”

“Within reason.”

Sacha closed his eyes again, scrunching up his face. Frank remained silent and let him process what was being said.

“Where’s my mother?”

Of any question Sacha could have asked that was probably the one that had most potential for pain. Frank took a breath and looked down at his hands, twisting in his lap.

“I’m sorry, son. She’s dead. She died two years ago.”

“Oh. Yes. You told me.” His voice sounded wistful and distant. Once again, Frank had to fight the urge to hold him. If Mary had been here she wouldn’t have thought twice. She’d have been on that bed, nestling his head against her breast and probably singing. But that wasn’t his style.

“That girl – she was my sister?”

“Lacey, yes. The blonde man is her partner, Luke, and the other your brother, Adam.”

“She’s very pretty.”

“Yes, she is. She’s like her mother.”

“I know.” Sacha coughed and grimaced. “My throat hurts.”

“Would you like a drink of water?”

“I’d like a drink of bourbon but I guess that’s out of the question.”

“I’m afraid so.” Frank poured a glass of water and Sacha drank it eagerly, then held it out for a refill. “Take it easy. You haven’t had anything to eat for a while and if you fill your belly with water it will make you sick.”

“Yes, Dad.” Sacha smiled. He didn’t sound mocking, as he might have, but more as if he was testing it out. He seemed to like it and Frank was encouraged.

Suddenly, the smile disappeared from his face and his eyes widened. He swallowed hard. “The…th…the house? You went there.”

“Not me, but yes. Remember? I told you yesterday.”

Sacha shook his head. “No. What…? What…?”

Burning hope vied with fear and despair in his eyes. He desperately wanted to be told the other children were safe, as he was, but he didn’t expect it. Frank didn’t want to crush his hope but knew the longer he left it the more cruel it would be.

“I’m sorry, son. The house was burning before they got there.”

Sacha nodded. “He didn’t trust me. He knew I’d talk. There were…. There were explosives – all over the house; everywhere. We all knew. We knew whenever he left the house…. I something went wrong…. There were…other plans too.”

“Like poison?”

Sacha flinched, his eyes wide, then he collapsed in on himself and started to sob. “Were…were any…? Did you save any…?”

Frank shook his head. “I’m sorry. Five children and four adults.”

Sacha nodded. “All of them,” he said and dissolved again. This time, Frank couldn’t contain himself. He grabbed Sacha roughly and pulled him close. Sacha threw his arms around Frank and held on for dear life as if the contact was all that kept him from flying off into madness.

Sacha fell asleep before he stopped crying. Coughing fits left him exhausted and he simply went limp in Frank’s arms, sobs still rocking his body. Frank gently lowered him onto the pillows and made him comfortable as best he could.

He’d barely finished when the door opened and nurse entered. She proceeded to wake Sacha up again to take his vitals. Frank could cheerfully have throttled her, especially as he’d begged her not to do it, trying to explain what had just happened. The nurse was oblivious to his pleas however and just did her job exactly as she had been taught to – quickly, efficiently and, to Frank’s mind, thoughtlessly.

Sacha didn’t cry. He lay quietly and let her do whatever she wanted, watching with dull, dead eyes. Frank tried to talk to him, to reassure him but he didn’t acknowledge his presence at all. To Frank’s eyes he was a rag doll, empty and mindless. His heart breaking, Frank reached for Sacha’s hand and squeezed it. There was no answering squeeze, although Sacha did turn his head to look at him blankly.

When the nurse left, Sacha didn’t immediately go back to sleep, but lay staring at the ceiling. “He’s going to come after me,” Sacha said after a long silence, startling Frank.

“Sorry, what?”

“He’s going to come after me. He doesn’t like loose ends.”

“I noticed. Sacha….” Frank struggled with himself. Should he tell him what happened to him? Could he cope? Did he have the right not to? He would have to tell him eventually because they needed him to look at the photographs.

“Sacha, there’s something you need to know. Something…happened when you were asleep.”

Sacha turned on his side and looked at Frank, his wide golden eyes holding a thoughtful expression. “I know. I kind of…remember…something. Someone was here. He said…I….” Sacha frowned deeply. “He said I was going to pay. It didn’t make much sense, and then there were people everywhere and….” He shrugged. “I guess…. I don’t know.”

“There’s no way to sugar-coat this, Sacha. It’s as well you know the truth from the start. Someone tried to kill you.”

Frank expected a reaction. He had no idea what that reaction would be but he wasn’t prepared for the nothingness that looked back at him out of Sacha’s eyes.

“How does that make you feel? Are you frightened? Angry?”

Sacha shrugged. “I knew it would happen. He won’t stop. I guess he’ll get me in the end.”

“Doesn’t that scare you?”

Sacha considered. “Not as much as you do.”

“Me?” Would the boy ever stop throwing shocks at him? “You’re more afraid of me than the maniac who’s trying to kill you?”

Sacha nodded. “He can only kill me, I’m afraid you’re going to make me live. I don’t know how to do that.”

Frank rubbed his eyes and squeezed his arm. “I promise you, Sacha, you have nothing to fear from me. I’m with you every step of the way; we all are, and no one is going to hurt you again if I have anything to say about it.”

“Sure.”

“Are you up to looking at photographs from the CCTV cameras? You might be able to recognise someone.”

Again that shrug. Sacha struggled upright and sat with his legs crossed and his back straight, watching Frank patiently.

The photographs were in a neat pile on the bedside cabinet. Frank picked them up and handed the top one to Sacha. Chewing his lip, Sacha carefully studied the photograph, then shook his head and handed it back to Frank. “I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen him before in my life.”

One by one they repeated the process with three more photographs. When Frank handed Sacha the fifth photograph, he frowned. “I know him.”

Frank perked up and leaned forward to look at the photograph. It wasn’t one Frank would have singled out as suspicious at all. The man was very distinguished looking, with steel grey hair and a handsome face that suggested a good bedside manner.

“He used to come to the house sometimes, when one of us was ill. Sometimes we’d go to a hospital, I think it might have been a private clinic or something, to get shots or…whatever.”

“Do you think he might be the man you remember from today?”

“Maybe. I don’t know.”

“Okay. Let’s take a quick look through the rest.”

Sacha saw no one else he recognised and, by the time he finished, it was obvious Sacha was emotionally and physically exhausted, and Frank insisted he rested.

“Can I…? The lady…my…sister.”

“Lacey? You don’t want to be calling her a lady when she can hear.”

Sacha looked confused. “Why?”

“Don’t worry about it. I was teasing. Do you want to speak to her?”

“I…. She…. I felt…,”

“Okay, hold on.”

Frank found the others in the waiting room. Lacey was on her feet before he had a chance to open his mouth.

“How is he? Is he okay? Can I see him now?”

“Calm down, Lacey, he’s fine. Well, as fine as can be expected in the circumstances. He wants to see you.”

“Me?” Lacey’s eyes lit up and she practically flew past Frank. Frank sighed and shook his head. Luke and Adam both grinned at him. He shook his head again and went in search of DCI Herbert with the photograph clutched in his hand.

Copyright © 2014 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/14/2014 06:15 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for writing this story i love how this is playing out, ur such a wonderful story teller

Bob

Aww. You made me blush. Seriously. Smile too :) thank you. Glad you like the story.
Link to comment

Poor Sasha is more afraid of living than dying. That says so much about his pain and mental anguish....

Link to comment
On 05/14/2014 06:36 AM, Daddydavek said:
Poor Sasha is more afraid of living than dying. That says so much about his pain and mental anguish....
It does. No one realizes yet how deep it goes. They will soon. He's got a long road ahead but it's not all going to be an unhappy one
Link to comment

I'm becoming consumed by this story! I don't know where the storyline came from but I'm glad you found the inspiration to put it to paper. It's a must on my "look forward to" list, and I find I'm usually impatient waiting for each new chapter. Keep up the good work!

Link to comment
On 05/14/2014 09:01 AM, mickey1952 said:
I'm becoming consumed by this story! I don't know where the storyline came from but I'm glad you found the inspiration to put it to paper. It's a must on my "look forward to" list, and I find I'm usually impatient waiting for each new chapter. Keep up the good work!
Thank you :) I don't know where the story came from either :) I'm glad I wrote it and I'm really glad you liked it. I'll try to be consistent on posting it
Link to comment

Our villian's drastic actions don't gibe with his apparently small-time operation. There's got to be more to his villiany than meets my eye.

Link to comment

I'm really enjoying this story so far. Poor Sasha, then again I feel for all the family. Am I right in thinking there's still another sibling we've to meet? One who's probably going to be less than pleasant and blames Sasha. The name escapes me, but I'm hoping that he doesn't put any more weight on Sasha's shoulders than he's already carrying. For Frank too.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? :P

Thanks Nephy :)

Link to comment

I'm really enjoying this story so far. Poor Sasha, then again I feel for all the family. Am I right in thinking there's still another sibling we've to meet? One who's probably going to be less than pleasant and blames Sasha. The name escapes me, but I'm hoping that he doesn't put any more weight on Sasha's shoulders than he's already carrying. For Frank too.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? :P

Thanks Nephy :)

Link to comment

I'm really enjoying this story so far. Poor Sasha, then again I feel for all the family. Am I right in thinking there's still another sibling we've to meet? One who's probably going to be less than pleasant and blames Sasha. The name escapes me, but I'm hoping that he doesn't put any more weight on Sasha's shoulders than he's already carrying. For Frank too.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? :P

Thanks Nephy :)

Link to comment

I'm really enjoying this story so far. Poor Sasha, then again I feel for all the family. Am I right in thinking there's still another sibling we've to meet? One who's probably going to be less than pleasant and blames Sasha. The name escapes me, but I'm hoping that he doesn't put any more weight on Sasha's shoulders than he's already carrying. For Frank too.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? :P

Thanks Nephy :)

Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 01:44 PM, knotme said:
Our villian's drastic actions don't gibe with his apparently small-time operation. There's got to be more to his villiany than meets my eye.
He's just an evil sadistic bastard :)
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 07:54 PM, Mike00 said:
I'm really enjoying this story so far. Poor Sasha, then again I feel for all the family. Am I right in thinking there's still another sibling we've to meet? One who's probably going to be less than pleasant and blames Sasha. The name escapes me, but I'm hoping that he doesn't put any more weight on Sasha's shoulders than he's already carrying. For Frank too.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? :P

Thanks Nephy :)

Thanks hun. you must like the story loads to have reviewed 4 times :) Yes, there is another sibling, James, and no he isn't going to like Sasha much :)In fact he's going to cause all kinds of problems
Link to comment

“He can only kill me, I’m afraid you’re going to make me live. I don’t know how to do that.”

Poor Sacha! This isn´t easy on any of them :/ Great story, heartbreaking but very well written.

Link to comment
On 06/26/2014 05:09 AM, Suvitar said:

“He can only kill me, I’m afraid you’re going to make me live. I don’t know how to do that.”

Poor Sacha! This isn´t easy on any of them :/ Great story, heartbreaking but very well written.

Thank you honey. It is heatbreaking that someone can break s child like this, but there's nothing true love cannot achieve - well not much
Link to comment

You have any idea how much I want to read another chapter right now? How much I already want to smack James down for the trouble he's going to cause? How annoyingly mothering Lacey is turning out to be?

Sacha is obviously strong, he must use that strength to turn his resignation into anger and fight the bastard(s) behind all this evil.

I shall return, sometime tomorrow!

 

oh, and THANK YOU!

Link to comment
On 09/05/2014 08:13 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
You have any idea how much I want to read another chapter right now? How much I already want to smack James down for the trouble he's going to cause? How annoyingly mothering Lacey is turning out to be?

Sacha is obviously strong, he must use that strength to turn his resignation into anger and fight the bastard(s) behind all this evil.

I shall return, sometime tomorrow!

 

oh, and THANK YOU!

Haha. You sound like Arnie... I'll be back!! :) I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Nothing to thank me for. It just completely makes my day when someone comments that they like something I've read especially when they talk about the characters as if they're real. It gives me such a kick and it's way more than I give in the writing.
Link to comment

I gotta say Nephy, Lacey cracks me up. I love her character, the interaction between her and her father, the way Luke was bold enough to silence her by shocking her at his boldness.

It had me giggling in the midst of some pretty serious stuff going on in this chapter, and I love that you've taken the time to work a sense of humour into the darkness.

 

I think that the complexity of this evil web will begin to unravel a little now. I mean it stands to reason that very man that visited this farmhouse has just as much riding on no loose ends being left untied, so how many others are out there willing to take a shot at silencing poor Alex.

This could become a hellish situation for the family as they try to piece their lives back together. And even if they do get the kingpin, does that mean that the others are simply going to give up the quest to silence him, or step up their efforts.

Oh brother. :/

Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 11:11 AM, Yettie One said:
I gotta say Nephy, Lacey cracks me up. I love her character, the interaction between her and her father, the way Luke was bold enough to silence her by shocking her at his boldness.

It had me giggling in the midst of some pretty serious stuff going on in this chapter, and I love that you've taken the time to work a sense of humour into the darkness.

 

I think that the complexity of this evil web will begin to unravel a little now. I mean it stands to reason that very man that visited this farmhouse has just as much riding on no loose ends being left untied, so how many others are out there willing to take a shot at silencing poor Alex.

This could become a hellish situation for the family as they try to piece their lives back together. And even if they do get the kingpin, does that mean that the others are simply going to give up the quest to silence him, or step up their efforts.

Oh brother. :/

I think that's one of the main faults with this family, especially given Frank's job. Even after this they don't seem to take the real threat to Sacha very seriously. I have no idea why - other than that a lot of the plot wouldn't happen if they had :D
Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 11:11 AM, Yettie One said:
I gotta say Nephy, Lacey cracks me up. I love her character, the interaction between her and her father, the way Luke was bold enough to silence her by shocking her at his boldness.

It had me giggling in the midst of some pretty serious stuff going on in this chapter, and I love that you've taken the time to work a sense of humour into the darkness.

 

I think that the complexity of this evil web will begin to unravel a little now. I mean it stands to reason that very man that visited this farmhouse has just as much riding on no loose ends being left untied, so how many others are out there willing to take a shot at silencing poor Alex.

This could become a hellish situation for the family as they try to piece their lives back together. And even if they do get the kingpin, does that mean that the others are simply going to give up the quest to silence him, or step up their efforts.

Oh brother. :/

I think that's one of the main faults with this family, especially given Frank's job. Even after this they don't seem to take the real threat to Sacha very seriously. I have no idea why - other than that a lot of the plot wouldn't happen if they had :D
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..