Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 3,192 Words
  • 4,555 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Alex - 4. Chapter 4

WARNING Whilst happening well in the background, by mention only, this chapter deals with the death of children and if this upsets you please don't read.

“So what’s this all about?” Adam asked, lowering himself into a chair in the hotel suite. He sighed as he crossed his long legs and lifted his heels to the low coffee table. Lacey knocked them onto the floor crossly.

“Not on the table, Adam.”

“What’s your problem? It’s not your table.”

“No, but I have manners no matter whose table it is.”

“Give me a break, Lace. I’ve been driving for four hours and I’m exhausted.”

“Whatever.”

“Sit down, Lacey.” Frank prowled the hotel room, coming to rest in front of the window. He stared at the unfamiliar cityscape on the other side of the glass. He’d never visited Cardiff before. It was a beautiful city, he had to admit, but he couldn’t wait to get away from it. He wanted to be home. He needed to be home and, most of all, he needed to get Sacha home, at least to the place he hoped Sacha would come to think of as home. God, he was all over the place.

“Dad?”

Frank turned to find them all looking at him expectantly. This wasn’t going to be easy. He’d better get it over with.

“I was hoping to have this conversation with Adam but, as my daughter finds it impossible not to interfere with every little thing that goes on in this family, I’ve had no choice but to include her.”

“Dad! I can’t believe you’d even considered not including me. If it wasn’t for me this family would have fallen apart a long time ago.”

“I know. No one is trying to say you’re not part of the family, or that you don’t have the right to know what’s going on, but this isn’t going to be a nice conversation, Lacey. I need Adam’s input, but I don’t need emotional outbursts, okay. Just remember you’re here because you’ve butted in as usual, and I haven’t got time to sugar coat things for you.”

“Dad?” Lacey sounded really shocked and Frank regretted his harshness, but dammit this was hard. “This is out of order. I have as much right to input and make decisions about this family as you have. “

“I know, and I’m sorry, but you need to be clear from the start. I don’t want pointless diversions here. Unless you have a pertinent question or observation, keep out of it.”

“Dad!”

“Hush, Lacey, let him get on with it.” Frank was surprised Luke had spoken up. He was usually the last person to put Lacey in her place. Lacey must have been thinking the same thing because she shut up like a clam, staring at him.

“Firstly, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind whatever, that the boy, Sacha, is Alex. He doesn’t have many memories of when he was with us, but the bits and pieces he does remember, fit perfectly. He was also carrying a photograph of your mother he’s somehow managed to keep with him all these years.”

“He has our eyes,” Lacey said, then bit her lip at the glare from Luke.

Frank softened and smiled at her. “Yes, he has your mother’s eyes, just like the rest of you. That’s what first attracted my attention. He also has birthmarks and scars that convince me beyond doubt.”

“Okay,” Adam said.” So far, so good.”

“As far as I can tell, he’s been held all these years by the same man who took him from us. He wasn’t the only one. It would seem this man makes a business out of taking young boys away from their homes and either…passing them on or putting them to work for him.”

“A trafficker?” Adam sat up straight, his eyes wide.

“Not exactly. Not on that scale. He took three other kids the same time as Alex and maybe one or two a year since then. His main business is….” He hesitated, uncomfortable with saying the words in front of Lacey. Oh what the hell; she asked for it. “He kept a stable of about seven or eight kids at any one time, in a remote farmhouse, a couple of miles from the city. He pimps them out to clients with…particular tastes. When they get too old he moves them on, to other people who want adults, not kids, and replaces them with new kids.”

“But that…that’s awful.”

“Lacey, please.” Frank hadn’t meant to snap, but he could do without Lacey’s outbursts. “It is awful, but it happens. I didn’t get a chance to talk to Sacha too much yesterday. You can imagine it was all a bit much for him, especially when he was talking about what happened to him, knowing what the implications were.”

“What implications?”

“Lacey! Sacha knew that if he talked to me I’d have to share what he said with the local police and they’d take action. He was selling out everyone in his life - the man who took him, the people who took care of him, the other kids. He was involved with some very dangerous people and what he told us has implications for him as well as them. And all that’s beside the fact he was talking about what happened to him for the first time, to a stranger. That wasn’t easy.”

“Oh. No. Sorry.”

Frank sighed. He addressed his next comments to Adam. “We can’t know for sure yet, but I strongly suspect he’s been given hormones to stunt his growth and make him more…feminine. If he wants, we can try treatments like testosterone injections, but he might not want to change. This is his identity now.”

“What? But….”

“Lacey, if you can’t keep quiet you’re going to have to leave.”

“But it’s Alex, Dad. They did terrible things to him”

“I’ve barely started, Lacey. If you don’t think you can listen….”

“I can listen. I promise I won’t say another word. But….”

Frank sighed. “What?”

“Why would he take boys and make them more feminine? Why not just take girls?”

“It’s about making fantasies, Lacey. People will pay a lot of money for a fantasy.”

“What kind of fantasy’s that?”

“The kind of fantasies men who are prepared to pay for sex with ten year olds have.”

“But….”

“Oh for fuck sake, Lacey,” Adam said, frustrated. “They’re dirty old men who like to fuck little boys and pretend they’re not gay because they look like girls. Or maybe they like to do things girls aren’t up to. Maybe girls can’t take the beatings like boys can. Maybe they cry too easily. Maybe they pass out too easily when they’re choked or faint at the sight of their own blood.”

“Stop it, Adam. That’s disgusting.”

“It happens, Lacey.”

“Dad?”

Frank turned his back on them. “Sacha has scars all over his body. He’s been cut, burned, chained, whipped…. He said it didn’t happen to everyone but the more violent clients liked him because he stood up to punishment and he was proud that it took a lot to make him scream.”

There was a deafening silence.

“Does he have any physical problems apart from the scarring?”

“Nothing apparent. He’s not well at the moment, but the doctors are fairly confident that when the chest infection clears up he’ll be fit and healthy.”

“Is any of the scarring severe enough to need surgery?”

“No. The worst of it is on his wrists and ankles where he’s fought against shackles. The rest are superficial.”

“Does he have any…?” Adam paused and glanced at Lacey. “Have the doctors found any other… problems, from his, um…lifestyle?”

“They’ve done all kind of tests and not all the results are in but it doesn’t appear he has any STD’s, although he does have…injuries from having being sexually abused from a very young age.”

“Is he using drugs?”

“No. He’s clean.”

“Well, it seems as if physically he doesn’t have too much to worry about. Why did you want to talk to me?”

“I thought that would be obvious. Adam. You’re the only one who’s had any experience in mental health care.”

“Woah. I did a three month placement on a psych ward and an intensive bereavement counselling course. That hardly qualifies me to deal with something like this.”

“I know. I’m not suggesting you deal with anything professionally. I’m going to make sure Al…Sacha has as much professional help as he needs. It’s us who need the help, Adam. How the hell do we, as a family deal with this? How do we help him? How do we….?” Frank shrugged helplessly. How could he share what happened yesterday, how deeply the conversations with Sacha had affected him. It brought home to him very clearly that this wasn’t the boy who’d left that day, eight years ago. He didn’t know this boy at all, and Sacha didn’t know him.

God knows, it was hard enough for him to sit and listen to the horrors that poured from Sacha’s lips as naturally as if he was telling him what he did at school. It was harder to hold back when he broke down, when he curled in on himself and sobbed. His years of police training kicked in and he sat back and let the weight of one revelation spin him into the next and the next until the momentum had him spilling his guts, one word falling over the next, as if he was purging the terrible weight he’d held inside him for so long.

Sacha knew the life he was leading was wrong. He’d always known, but he’d made himself numb, made himself believe it was okay, that everything would be okay. He tried to care for the little ones as best he could, not getting hardened like some of them, not getting blasé. In the end, he knew he was taking a huge risk in making himself visible to the police. Part of him must have known he’d have to sell out. Maybe that’s what he’d wanted, although he wouldn’t, or couldn’t admit it aloud.

By the time Sacha had given them enough to mount a raid on the house, he was broken. His soft, almost feminine, voice had grown so hoarse he could barely whisper and there was emptiness in his eyes that chilled Frank to the bone.

In the long hours of waiting Sacha had sat in the corner of the interview room, resisting all attempts to move him to somewhere more comfortable, or to make his misery less acute. He’d sat on the floor and drawn up his knees, pulling his hood down to cover his face. Once or twice, Frank had crouched beside him and tried to draw him out, but the blank stare unnerved him and the only reaction he’d had was a brief shake of the head.

When the news came that the police had arrived at the farm to find it deserted and ablaze, Sacha freaked out. He fought like a crazy man to get out, get away. He was delirious with mental anguish, and rambled on about a room in the cellar, begging them to find it, to find the kids. Frank had been chilled to the bone when he realized what Sacha was saying. He’d relayed the information and finally took the courage to hold Sacha, weeping and shaking in his arms, until it all got too much for him and he simply collapsed into a catatonic trance.

To say Frank was frightened when they were unable to rouse Sacha would have been a huge understatement. He called for medical assistance and the doctor immediately had Sacha sedated and admitted to the hospital. He’d consistently reassured Frank that once Sacha had rested he’d be fine. Frank still didn’t believe him. Sacha hadn’t had the worst news of all yet, and Frank was sure that would be the first thing Sacha asked for.

“Dad? Dad!”

Frank shook himself. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Do you think he’s well enough to come home?”

And there was the question he’d been dreading. He’d been avoiding asking it all day. “Honestly, I don’t know. I suppose it depends on the psych assessment tomorrow.”

“Then we leave it to the professionals, Dad. I’m not comfortable with going there. I just don’t have enough experience, and…. Well…. I’m sorry, Dad, I know this is a huge thing for you. It’s huge for all of us, of course it is, but…. Look, we weren’t going to say anything just yet but…. Amy’s pregnant and—”

Whatever he was about to say was lost in Lacey’s squeal. “Pregnant? Since when? That’s awesome. I’ve got to call her.”

“Lacey, sit down,” Adam said in such a commanding tone she complied without question. “It’s early days, which is why we haven’t said anything. She’s not 20 weeks yet and that’s when we agreed we were going to make it public. The thing is…. Well, Amy’s not well. It’s nothing serious, just severe morning sickness, but she needs monitoring, and with a child on the way I don’t have much time to build up the practice. I’m going to be busy, Dad. I can’t—”

“That’s alright, Adam. It’s wonderful news. Wonderful. Your mother would have been so—”

Everything caught up with him in one go. The thought of Mary’s face on finding out she was going to be a grandmother, was the last straw. He collapsed into a chair and covered his face with his hands.

Frank wasn’t given much opportunity to wallow in misery. He was shocked out of it when the phone rang. After quickly checking the number, he answered it.

“Pete. What’s going on?”

“Bad shit. Herbert just faxed me through the report on the fire and autopsy reports on the first kids.”

“Just great. I could do with more bad news. Anything I should know.”

“Plenty. The fire was definitely deliberately set. There were explosive devices all over the house and they were detonated remotely. No one in the house would have known a thing about it until the whole place went up like rocket. They wouldn’t have had a chance.”

“That was pretty much as expected.”

“Yes. They found nine bodies in all. Four adults in the main house and five kids in the…cellar.”

Peter had paused because ‘cellar’ was an euphemism for a room hidden behind the cellar wall. As described to Frank, it was large, clean and comfortably furnished, with a huge television and selection of video games. However, it was still a cell, with no window and no way out. When the explosives were detonated the kids didn’t have a chance. The worst thing was that not all the explosives in this cellar room had detonated and half of the children had died of smoke inhalation without ever being touched by fire. They were huddled in the back, holding each other.

“The kids autopsied didn’t die of smoke inhalation.”

“What? Then what?” Frank sat up, shaking the creeping horror of the images from his head.

“They were poisoned.”

“Poisoned? With what?”

“Cyanide. Massive dose. Ingested just before the house blew.”

“Shit. He wasn’t taking any chances of the kids survive the fire.”

“No, and you should see the tox report. Those kids were full of all kinds of shit, although admittedly they started with the youngest. It’s likely the older ones would have been conditioned well enough not to need chemical assistance.”

“Goddamit, the man’s a monster.”

“Frank…. I don’t want to worry you, but have you considered that Sacha is, as far as we know, the only person left alive who can ID this bastard.”

The bottom dropped out of Frank’s world. Of course he’d thought about it. He’d thought about it from the start. So had DCI Herbert. That’s why the hospital was crawling with police, but having it said out loud….

“Herbert’s got it covered. The hospital’s tied up tighter than Fort Knox.”

“Be careful. Like you said, this man’s a monster. If he can wipe out innocent kids without a thought like that, without thinking twice about it…. Take care of your boy.”

“Oh, I will. I’m hoping to take him home tomorrow. He’ll be as safe on the estate as anywhere else. I’m bumping up security, of course.”

“I’ll get on it from this end. There’ll be everything from rookies to SWAT by the time you get home.”

“Thanks, Pete. Sacha is the only one left who can identify him now. We have to face the possibility he might come looking for him rather than simply running.”

“I’m on it. Take care.”

“What’s wrong, Dad?”

“Nothing. Just going over some things with Pete.”

“Dad, we heard.”

Frank ran his hands through his hair. “It will probably come to nothing. There’s no reason to believe whoever’s been holding Sacha will link him to us.”

“That’s rubbish and you know it. He’ll check with the hospital and find out Sacha’s gone home to his family and he’ll know exactly where he is.”

“Ah hell. Look, I think it might be better if you went home, both of you; all of you. You shouldn’t have come.”

“Nonsense. You’re going to need us. Both of you. I can spare you a couple of weeks, no problem. Luke will have to go back but he can come down when he’s off shift.”

“Lacey, you’ve been listening. It’s not safe. This man is a maniac. I was worried when I knew he was a child abductor and paedophile, but this is a whole different dimension of evil. I have no idea what he’s capable of. He might disappear, and I sincerely hope he puts all his energy into avoiding capture, but I’m not going to lie. He doesn’t come across as the kind of man who likes to leave loose ends, and I don’t want you to getting caught in the crossfire.”

“I don’t care. It’s my home and my family. I’m coming.”

Frank sighed.

The argument raged for the next hour and a half. Adam and Luke got involved and, at some point, Frank was dropped from the discussions. Somewhere along the way he’d been overruled and the kids were planning and plotting between themselves. He wandered over to the window again, and looked out. It was dark but the city was still wide awake, as was he.

Once again, his emotions were all over the place. He wanted his kids around him, and god knows Sacha would need his family, but the thought of putting them in danger stuck in his craw. The more he learned about the man they were hunting the more uneasy he got. That the man was a monster was a given, that he’d operated completely under the radar all this time, and had been so thorough in getting rid of any evidence, showed he was also a highly intelligent, resourceful one. The most dangerous type.

The loud tones of Tchaikovsky startled him once again and he checked his phone. This time, the number was unfamiliar. He answered it anyway.

Precisely a minute and a half later he was screeching out of the hotel car park, the portable siren on his unmarked car clearing a path.

Copyright © 2014 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sacha's captor is lower than the lowest scum and Sacha is a loose end....What a horrible place for Frank and his other family members.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The phone call to Verriand is troubling… Let us hope that Frank is smart enough not to be drawn out alone by the monster. Could it even be possible that somehow Sasha was taken from the hospital despite the security?

 

I guess we'll find out in a few days… Until then?

Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 02:06 AM, Daddydavek said:
Sacha's captor is lower than the lowest scum and Sacha is a loose end....What a horrible place for Frank and his other family members.
Frank and his family have more weapons in their arsenal than it might appear. As for Sacha's captor, there is no end to his evil, and his evil hasn't ended. But he obviously doesn't know Sacha as well as he thinks he does because...well, I don't want to spoil that. It comes later, much later.
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 02:19 AM, KevinD said:
The phone call to Verriand is troubling… Let us hope that Frank is smart enough not to be drawn out alone by the monster. Could it even be possible that somehow Sasha was taken from the hospital despite the security?

 

I guess we'll find out in a few days… Until then?

Don't worry, Frank hasn't gone alone. He's safe. Sacha? Not so much. You'd have thought hospitals would have better security. :)
Link to comment

once again a spine chilling chapter and I feel the emotions, the evil and excitement in every word ....whats next? it cant be good!!!!!!!!!

 

thanks for taking the time to write and sharing it with us

 

Bob

Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 08:58 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
once again a spine chilling chapter and I feel the emotions, the evil and excitement in every word ....whats next? it cant be good!!!!!!!!!

 

thanks for taking the time to write and sharing it with us

 

Bob

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It makes my day every time :) I think its safe to say that what happens next isn't good, but it does get better...for a while.
Link to comment
On 06/26/2014 04:43 AM, Suvitar said:
What a truly ghastly man, killing so many people :/
You have NO idea. He's evil. But... well, you'll have to wait and see. As far as I can tell Ryland has NO redeeming features whatever. He's just a sick bastard end of.
Link to comment

Cliffies? You got us all hooked already. You're just being cruel now! :no:

 

Ok, ok, one more chapter tonight.... Need to pace myself

Link to comment
On 09/05/2014 07:58 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Cliffies? You got us all hooked already. You're just being cruel now! :no:

 

Ok, ok, one more chapter tonight.... Need to pace myself

I don't write cliffhangers. I don't know where people get the impression I do. They're hooks, I tell you, hooks *evil grin*
Link to comment

Oh what a tease. Cliff hangers too boot! Jeeeeeesh.

 

Ok, this guy seriously needs to be castrated, strung up, flogged, tarred and feathered, hung drawn and quartered, stretched on a rack, erm..........

What other tortures can I reign down on his body to cause him lengthy pain and suffering before his breath if slowly choked from his worthless pathetic body.

Yep, I'm somewhat mad eh!

 

You know, I think we've all be so bloody cross with someone in our lives we've thought to ourselves, "gosh I could kill him/her!"

But to plan such evil and carry it out..........

That takes one sick, cold son of a bitch.

You have created a character that is sooooo easy to despise Nephy. I normally like to take time to get to at least know a character a bit before making a conclusion about how I feel about someone in the plot, but this dude.....

Ah hell, my skin crawls and he makes me feel ill.

To provoke that level of a reaction that quickly is pretty impressive and while I don't like what it took to get that level of a reaction, I can respect that as a writer that's pretty slick writing chick. :)

So where the hell is Frank off to in such a hurry. Tell you what, this erm ******** best not be at the hospital trying something on, I'll be in my car on my way to Cardiff myself if he is!

Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 10:27 AM, Yettie One said:
Oh what a tease. Cliff hangers too boot! Jeeeeeesh.

 

Ok, this guy seriously needs to be castrated, strung up, flogged, tarred and feathered, hung drawn and quartered, stretched on a rack, erm..........

What other tortures can I reign down on his body to cause him lengthy pain and suffering before his breath if slowly choked from his worthless pathetic body.

Yep, I'm somewhat mad eh!

 

You know, I think we've all be so bloody cross with someone in our lives we've thought to ourselves, "gosh I could kill him/her!"

But to plan such evil and carry it out..........

That takes one sick, cold son of a bitch.

You have created a character that is sooooo easy to despise Nephy. I normally like to take time to get to at least know a character a bit before making a conclusion about how I feel about someone in the plot, but this dude.....

Ah hell, my skin crawls and he makes me feel ill.

To provoke that level of a reaction that quickly is pretty impressive and while I don't like what it took to get that level of a reaction, I can respect that as a writer that's pretty slick writing chick. :)

So where the hell is Frank off to in such a hurry. Tell you what, this erm ******** best not be at the hospital trying something on, I'll be in my car on my way to Cardiff myself if he is!

Haha, you know I'm a tease ;) The evil son of a bitch is called Ryland and he has absolutely no redeeming qualities. He has one use later on but after that he had to go :)
Link to comment

I'm guessing that I'm going to need to suspend my practical thinking a bit. People know the bad man. The police allowed that the bad man 'had pull' when A/S got in trouble, and that means he was either well known or some higher up officer is complicit. A/S has already identified the man, told them where the farmhouse was and where the children were. Now the bad man has abduction, arson, illegal explosives, narcotics and murder charges (possibly more) to be laid against him. It really doesn't seem logical that any case against the bad man hinges on testimony from A/S alone, anymore.

 

There is good delineation of the characters; everyone has a distinct personality and place in the family hierarchy. It's easy to imagine that the family cart will soon become upset and all of them will find their lives topsy-turvy. Among other things that have been done well to this point, I wanted to comment specifically on how nicely you've captured the family dynamic.

Link to comment
On 11/27/2014 08:22 AM, Ron said:
I'm guessing that I'm going to need to suspend my practical thinking a bit. People know the bad man. The police allowed that the bad man 'had pull' when A/S got in trouble, and that means he was either well known or some higher up officer is complicit. A/S has already identified the man, told them where the farmhouse was and where the children were. Now the bad man has abduction, arson, illegal explosives, narcotics and murder charges (possibly more) to be laid against him. It really doesn't seem logical that any case against the bad man hinges on testimony from A/S alone, anymore.

 

There is good delineation of the characters; everyone has a distinct personality and place in the family hierarchy. It's easy to imagine that the family cart will soon become upset and all of them will find their lives topsy-turvy. Among other things that have been done well to this point, I wanted to comment specifically on how nicely you've captured the family dynamic.

Thank you :) As far as Ryland (the bad man) is concerned, it doesn't really come down to whether Alex/Sacha can give testimony or harm him in some way, It's more of a personal vendetta. Sacha belongs to Ryland, and what happened was all his fault. It's more punishment and revenge than escaping charges.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..