Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 2,418 Words
  • 4,433 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Finding Alex - 26. Chapter 26

The following week was, literally, a nightmare for Sacha. After passing out in the music room, he woke in hospital, with a raging fever from another infection in his surgical wound. They were, fortunately able to control the infection with antibiotics and he didn’t require further surgery. The length of his stay was primarily because of grave concern over his inability or refusal to eat, rather than the infection.

While in the grip of the fever, Sacha begged Nik for forgiveness over and over, pleading with him to come back. When the delirium faded, he stopped asking and merely wept over what he now considered to be a permanent loss. No matter how much Lacey tried to reassure him Nik would calm down and see sense, Sacha was convinced Nik would now see him for what he really was – worthless, spoiled goods incapable of fidelity – and want nothing more to do with him.

On the fifth day, the doctors lost hope of treating his lack of appetite and opened discussion with his psychiatrist as to whether the problem was more psychological than physical. They started talking about private mental health clinics and even psychiatric hospitals.

All the Prosser family resisted, preferring to have Sacha home with private treatment than put him through the further trauma of institutional psychiatric care. Fortunately they had the finance to carry through with their wishes should it become necessary.

For the present, the psychiatrist agreed to work with Sacha at the hospital, while the doctors did everything they could to keep him well nourished. However, even with the best they could provide, Sacha continued to lose weight, and his already slender, waif like appearance, began to look gaunt and emaciated. He was literally wasting away, fading before their eyes.

It was late evening of the fifth day and Sacha was dozing off and on, exhausted by the demanding assessment of the psychiatrist that morning. Lacey was sitting in the corner, reading quietly. She looked up and smiled every time he woke and looked for reassurance he wasn’t alone.

The opening and closing of the door intruded into his consciousness, which was wandering in deeper sleep, and in his dream doors opened and closed admitting all kinds of shadows and demons. He whimpered, fighting sleep, until he felt the soothing hand on his hair. He sighed and was about to allow himself to sink again, when he heard a voice calling. There was something wrong with the voice, and at first, he thought it might have come from a dream. However, that same sense of wrongness urged him to wake, so he did.

At first, the figure leaning over him was blurred and indistinct, but he was pretty sure it wasn’t Lacey.

“Hey you, what are you doing to yourself, huh? Can’t leave you alone for a minute, can I?”

Quite suddenly, the voice and face came into sharp focus. “Nik,” he whispered,” unable to find the words or energy for anything more. “Nik.” Hot tears scalded his eyes and blurred Nik’s image again. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m the one who should be sorry, Sacha. What I did was unforgivable. Not only did I judge you without giving you the slightest opportunity to explain, but I ran and cut off all communication, so no one could reach me, to tell me what was happening to you. I’m so sorry I wasn’t here for you when you needed me.”

“Nik,” was all Sacha could say, as the tears ran down his cheek. He couldn’t even raise his arms to Nik; he was just too weak.

Nik was crying too, and when he bent over to carefully put his arms around Sacha, the two sets of tears combined when Nik pressed his lips against Sacha’s. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” he repeated over and over.

At first, Sacha returned the kiss, but he couldn’t sustain it and Nik drew back when he stopped. “Look at you,” Nik said, brushing his hair out of his face and wiping his tears with his thumb, while his own tears fell unchecked. “You’re a mess.”

“Sorry.”

“Will you stop saying that? You’ve got nothing to be sorry for.”

Sacha managed to smile. He licked his lips, savouring the lingering taste of Nik. Nik misunderstood the gesture.

“Are you thirsty? Can I get you a drink?”

“No.”

“Hungry then? You’re bound to be hungry; you haven’t eaten in such a long time.”

“No, I’m not hungry.”

“But you’ll eat huh? For me? Just a little?”

“I…. I can’t, Nik. I’m not starving myself, honest. It’s not because I’m depressed or anything like that. I’m just not hungry. It makes me sick.”

“Will you try a tiny bit, just for me? Just a tiny, tiny little bit?”

Sacha was pretty sure he’d be sick if he tried to eat, but how could he deny Nik anything? He was here. He was back, and Sacha would do just about anything to make sure he wouldn’t go away again.

“Okay.”

Nik’s eyes lit up, and it warmed Sacha’s heart. “What have you got?” Nik asked Lacey.

“We’ve tried about everything I can think of.”

“I have an idea. Wait here.” Nik shook his head and laughed. “As if you’re going anywhere.”

“Don’t go.”

“I promise I’ll be right back. Ten minutes tops. I saw something just outside that would be perfect.”

“Please.”

Sacha’s whispered plea was unheard or ignored. Nik was on a mission and nothing was stopping him.”

“Feeling better now?” Lacey asked. She smiled at him. Sacha considered. He didn’t, not really, but his heart was lighter and there was a smile in there somewhere. Maybe a little more energy, a greater desire to make an effort.

“I don’t know. Maybe a little.”

“A little better is better than a little worse. That’s what Mum always used to say.”

Sacha thought about it. “I guess.” He sighed. “I’m tired.”

“I know, honey. You look tired. Why not have a little sleep while you wait for Nik?”

“Will you wake me when he comes back?”

Lacey smiled. “I doubt I’ll need it. He’s so excited. I’d be surprised if he didn’t wake you himself, as soon as he walks through the door.”

Sacha smiled, sighed and fell asleep.

When he woke, Nik was dozing in the chair and Lacey had disappeared.

“Nik?”

Nik jumped as if he’d been stuck with a pin. He leaped to his feet and almost tripped over them getting to the bed.

“Hey, how’re you feeling?”

“Why didn’t you wake me?”

“You were sleeping so peacefully.”

“Yes, I was. No dreams, for a change.”

“Have you been having bad dreams? What about?”

“All kinds.” Sacha bit his lip. Some things he didn’t want to say and some things he didn’t want to think about.

“Were you worrying about me? Were you afraid I wouldn’t come back?”

Biting his lip, Sacha nodded.

“That was never going to happen, no matter what. I love you and I’m never going to leave you.”

Sacha almost choked. Did Nik say what he thought he’d just said? “You…you love me?”

“Is it alright for me to say that? I know it’s scary. It scared the hell out of me when I realized. I know I’ve never had a proper boyfriend before but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t feel like this if I wasn’t in love with you. You drive me crazy, every minute of every day. I can’t eat, can’t sleep, can’t settle. It was horrible when Father told me I couldn’t see you, and even worse when I ran away. I thought I was going to die of a broken heart.”

Sacha smiled. Warmth flooded him, then the fear came back. “But what about your father? What about the newspapers and—”

“It’s alright. They’ve all been taken care of.”

“They…they know?”

“Someone may have leaked a story.” Nik smiled.

“But, your father? What about you?”

“You worry too much, and that is definitely not something you need to worry about. The press have the story straight; not some sensationalized version started by a hack reporter. They’re treating it as a tragic love story and we’re all painted in a good light. They love you.”

“They do? But they don’t know me.”

“Alright then, they love the idea of you. You’re a ray of sunshine and everyone knows it.”

“How?”

“I might have talked to someone – briefly.”

“You? It was you who leaked the story?”

Nik smiled, but didn’t answer. “I’ve got you something,” he said, and Sacha turned his head as Nik grabbed something from a table cluttered with food, drinks and the horrible milkshake things the hospital kept trying to feed him. How, in God’s name they expected him to drink that, when the very thought of food made him nauseous, escaped him. They kept pointing out that the milkshakes were better than the feeding tube. As if he needed that pointed out to him. He hated the bloody thing. But what could he do when he threw up whenever he tried to drink one, and being sick with a feeding tube up your nose, is no fun at all.

Sacha was deeply concerned about what Nik was going to present to him. He was going to eat it; of course he was; it was Nik – and then he was going to be sick, and it would be horrible. However, he was interested, despite himself, when Nik produced something wrapped in cellophane. It was bright red and green.

“Watermelon,” Nik said triumphantly, as he unwrapped the slice. “It’s easily digested and has all sorts of good things in it to help you get better when you’re not well. I’m sure you can manage a little of this.”

The coldness of the watermelon on Sacha’s lips felt like heaven, and it slipped down his throat with soothing ease. He managed half the slice before he had to stop. Nik was beaming, and best of all, he wasn’t even nauseous, let alone sick.

“Can I have more later?” Sacha asked.

“I’ll get a whole bloody watermelon if it helps you. Hell I’d get a field full if I had to.”

“I don’t think I can eat all that.”

“In a few days you will.”

It took more than a few days for Sacha to be well enough to eat a whole watermelon, let alone a field full, but he made steady progress.

Within a few days, the dreaded feeding tube was removed, and in a week he was home, albeit with a private nurse to help out for a while.

By the end of the summer, Sacha was as well as he had ever been, and ready to perform his first gig with the band. He’d started practicing almost as soon as he came out of the hospital. JonJon was a hard taskmaster, and sometimes, in the beginning, Sacha would sleep for twenty four hours or more afterwards, but everyone agreed it did him good, so he practiced hard.

At first it was strange to sing with the background of instruments, and other voices weaving with his own, but he got used to it very quickly and enjoyed it immensely. It had given him something to focus on during his recovery.

The only fly in the ointment was Suki, who seemed to have become an entirely different person. Apparently, he’d visited the hospital with the rest of the band only once. Sacha had been too ill at the time to acknowledge the visit and didn’t remember. James told him he’d been very upset at seeing Sacha so ill and changed completely from then on. He’d stayed away from Sacha until he had to join the practices. He was polite, but cold and distant, which hurt Sacha. Once or twice, Sacha had tried to talk to him, but Suki shut him down entirely.

Nik, of course, had been Sacha’s constant companion, and now he was out there in the audience; right at the front.

It was an open air venue and Sacha was cold, but very excited. He’d never seen so many people together in one place, and the boys kept asking if he was nervous. Of course he was nervous, but it was more excitement than fear, and he was itching to get on stage and start. The boys were already out there, doing sound checks or something else he didn’t understand.

Suddenly. Suki came bounding off the stage. “You’re up,” he said and Sacha was about to go up onto the stage when Suki stopped him.

“I can’t do it,” Suki said. “I can’t watch you being incredible and amazing up there without you knowing. You have to know.” Suki spoke with such intensity, it startled Sacha. “I’m crazy for you. I can hardly bear to be near you, because all I want to do is touch you, to hold you. It’s so hard seeing you with him.

“When I saw you in the hospital…. I won’t make a move on you, I swear, but if you get tired of Mr Clean And Shiny, I’m here, waiting, and you’ve no idea how bad you’re screwing me up.” Suddenly; unexpectedly, Suki flashed him his bright smile. “But it’s okay. I can live with it.”

Before Sacha could open his mouth to say anything, he heard his name called and Suki disappeared back onto the stage.

For a moment, Sacha froze. He couldn’t process what just happened. Then he shook his head. They were calling his name again and the crowd was cheering. It was the best feeling. He was so excited, if he didn’t let it out he’d explode. Running up onto the stage, he pumped his fist in the air and the crowd erupted, and so they should. Sacha was dressed in leather and lace, his hair streaming behind him as he leaped about the stage. He still didn’t have the stamina to keep this up for a whole set, but right now, with the blazing excitement buoying him, he was indestructible, swept up by the sheer energy coming from the crowd.

Looking down from the stage, Sacha saw Nik, right at the front, jumping up and down, a look of pride on his face. Sacha felt his heart would burst with happiness. If he died right here and now he’d consider his life fulfilled. But he wasn’t going to die. Not now. Not for a long time. First, he had a life to live.

 

THE END

Copyright © 2014 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved it. Sasha was a wonderful character and I'm a sucker for HEA. But the scene at the end with Suki, is that sequel I'm smelling?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 03:45 AM, avidreadr said:
Loved it. Sasha was a wonderful character and I'm a sucker for HEA. But the scene at the end with Suki, is that sequel I'm smelling?
Definitely a sequel. But not anytime soon, I'm afraid. I really really want to see more of Suki and I think Sacha does too. I mean, no one can let that pass without at least thinking about it, and I'm still not sure Nik is the right person for Sacha, especially when he finds his feet.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ditto on the Loved It! You weaved together some light and very dark scenes. Be kind to Sasha and Nik. I would like to see more of Suki, but be kind to Nik!

How about Sasha's father? Surely he helped others while out looking for Alex.

I hope there is more. Thank you for sharing!

Link to comment

Such a sad story that ended with hope and some measure of ambiguity. So often in a love story there is someone who is left holding the bag. This was handled well with grace and with pain. Fantastic. I will miss it. Thank you for sharing with us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This tale was captivating from the beginning, then woven with utmost care until the end. Alex has had enough pain in his life to last till eternity. While I somewhat agree that Nic might not be the best thing for Sacha, to even thick of pairing his with Suki to me is beyond absurd. With his background, it is abundantly obvious that he would never be faithful to Alex. Suki was warned repeatedly by James and still came close to being the end of Sacha. Had it not been for Nic, where would he have ended? Sorry for the rant, but I was having a good day before I decided to read the reviews.

Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 04:06 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
loved the story simply loved it and so very sad to see it end

 

Bob

Aw thank you. You've certainly stuck with me through some trials and tribulations hun. You're a great support and I cherish that. I'm very glad you enjoyed Sacha's story. And I hope you'll like Aren's when I start to post him.
Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 04:13 AM, Stuff15 said:
Ditto on the Loved It! You weaved together some light and very dark scenes. Be kind to Sasha and Nik. I would like to see more of Suki, but be kind to Nik!

How about Sasha's father? Surely he helped others while out looking for Alex.

I hope there is more. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for your support. I'm so glad you enjoyed. There will be more. I just can't promise when. I promise I will be kind to Nik - if he deserves it! He has to be good enough for my little Sacha and I have a feeling there will be problems when Sacha stops needing him so much and starts getting comfortable with who he is and not who everyone sees/wants him to be
Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 05:00 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Such a sad story that ended with hope and some measure of ambiguity. So often in a love story there is someone who is left holding the bag. This was handled well with grace and with pain. Fantastic. I will miss it. Thank you for sharing with us.
Thank you :D I get so excited and happy when people enjoy what I write, especially when they invest in the characters I've got to know so well on our journey. I hope you will enjoy what comes next as much.
Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 05:35 AM, tallone said:
This tale was captivating from the beginning, then woven with utmost care until the end. Alex has had enough pain in his life to last till eternity. While I somewhat agree that Nic might not be the best thing for Sacha, to even thick of pairing his with Suki to me is beyond absurd. With his background, it is abundantly obvious that he would never be faithful to Alex. Suki was warned repeatedly by James and still came close to being the end of Sacha. Had it not been for Nic, where would he have ended? Sorry for the rant, but I was having a good day before I decided to read the reviews.
HAHA. Aw hun, don't let me be the reason for spoiling your day!! I have no idea if Sacha ends up with Nik or not, he hasn't told me yet. I would like to think so, but Nik has a lot of growing up to do if that is going to work, especially when Sacha really finds his feet and his music career takes off. With Sacha on the road, and Nik tied up with his father's shit there are going to be long periods apart. And Suki will be there. I'm not promising they won't get together. I think it's naive to think they won't. However, I have a very strong feeling that if that happens it wont be Sacha who's hurt by it. Sacha is going to be a whole lot stronger than anyone gives him credit for. I can't promise there will be a sequel any time soon, although I will definitely come to it at some point. I hope you can find another of my stories to catch your attention, maybe the next one I post which should be in a couple of weeks.
Link to comment

Really loved the whole story, it had so much, it was horrible, sad, hopeful, caring and loving. I´m glad Nik came back, he might not be what Sacha needs for the rest of his life, but he was what Sacha needed to recover.

The ending was perfect. But he wasn’t going to die. Not now. Not for a long time. First, he had a life to live.

Thank you!

Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 07:00 AM, Suvitar said:
Really loved the whole story, it had so much, it was horrible, sad, hopeful, caring and loving. I´m glad Nik came back, he might not be what Sacha needs for the rest of his life, but he was what Sacha needed to recover.

The ending was perfect. But he wasn’t going to die. Not now. Not for a long time. First, he had a life to live.

Thank you!

Thank YOU honey, for all your wonderful support. I hope whichever boy comes to you next is treated with as much love :D
Link to comment

Sasha is almost as compelling as Silver. I have liked most all of your adventures but do hope it is not too long before we see Sasha again. Thanks.

Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 02:45 PM, Gandalf said:
Sasha is almost as compelling as Silver. I have liked most all of your adventures but do hope it is not too long before we see Sasha again. Thanks.
Wow, as far as I'm concerned that's huge praise for Sacha :D Silver is my all time favourite. I'm totally in love with him in a deeply disturbing way :D We will certainly see Sacha again. Hopefully we'll see Silver again sooner :)
Link to comment

That was a great end chapter, Nephy. You are so good at this and you tied it up so well. I was so afraid that Nik was out of it altogether, but he came back in with a bang. Great on him and he was just what Sacha needed to get that spark going again. So romantic! I know you said the next book has this Suki business in it - that will be very interesting reading, knowing you and how you weave such a marvellous tale. Thanks for this great story about Sacha and so look forward to more.

Link to comment
On 12/01/2014 07:17 PM, Jaro_423 said:
That was a great end chapter, Nephy. You are so good at this and you tied it up so well. I was so afraid that Nik was out of it altogether, but he came back in with a bang. Great on him and he was just what Sacha needed to get that spark going again. So romantic! I know you said the next book has this Suki business in it - that will be very interesting reading, knowing you and how you weave such a marvellous tale. Thanks for this great story about Sacha and so look forward to more.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Suki is an interesting and much misunderstood character. Nik also has a past. The three will make interesting music together. I sense a dance coming on. Probably the tango :D
Link to comment
On 12/08/2014 10:40 PM, Stephen ODonohue said:
As always Nephylim... excellent!

 

Thank for the continuing enjoyment. I always look forward to your next story.

 

Stephen.

Thank you. I'll be starting a new story after Christmas and I hope you enjoy that one too.
Link to comment

I really loved this story! I loved how Nik finally got himself together to really go after what he really wanted--to be with Sacha. I'd love to see a sequel. Great Job! As always, I love all your works!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I loved this story. Nik came to his senses and realized he'd been an ass. It can be a hard thing to admit at any age. Sacha is happier than he has ever been in his life now that he's found his niche. I'm still not on the Suki train and not sure I ever will be. Nik has made some significant sacrifices and he's stepped up when Sacha needed him. It is difficult to turn away from that kind of devotion. We paused on a happy note and I hope it is still just a pause.

 

BTW - The Prosser family name shifted to Preston in this chapter. It's the first use of the family name since the beginning chapters.

Link to comment
55 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I loved this story. Nik came to his senses and realized he'd been an ass. It can be a hard thing to admit at any age. Sacha is happier than he has ever been in his life now that he's found his niche. I'm still not on the Suki train and not sure I ever will be. Nik has made some significant sacrifices and he's stepped up when Sacha needed him. It is difficult to turn away from that kind of devotion. We paused on a happy note and I hope it is still just a pause.

 

BTW - The Prosser family name shifted to Preston in this chapter. It's the first use of the family name since the beginning chapters.

 

Oops, I'm off to change it.

 

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed. I have started a sequel, but it's slow going with all my other projects. Suki will come into his own. Some things are meant to be and some things are not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Such an amazing story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the bad as much as I hated the bad. This story does need a sequel. Thank-You

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..