Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 9,067 Words
  • 2,425 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 14. Chapter 14

 

Chapter 14.

"What if it gets cold?"

"We'll just have to snuggle close to each other, Tan, or cover ourselves with leaves. We haven't got anything else."

"What about this blanket thing on George? If we take off his saddle it's big enough for a few of us."

"George? How did you come up with that, Rhys?"

"He has to have a name, Tan. We can't just call him ‘it’ or ‘horse’."

"Well, George doesn't make much sense. Use a name like Charger or Domino or Flash."

"Does so make sense ... And he likes it too. I can tell."

"No you can't. Kieran’s the only one who can do that."

"Of course I can. You don't have to be able to read an animal’s mind to know when it likes something."

"I suppose ... George is still weird though."

The group was getting settled for the night. The clump of trees provided a degree of shelter as well as a sense of security, and after getting nowhere with lots of discussion they all agreed they probably weren't going to learn anything new while it was still dark. The consensus now was to set out for the hills as soon as daylight arrived and hope the higher elevation would give some sort of clue about their situation. Woorawa was totally concerned that someone else would come looking and kept peering past the trees for any more lights or other signs, and then insisted they should keep a lookout through the night.

Rhys's diffidence about the horse creature had disappeared by the end of the short ride to the trees and quickly changed to companionship and even propriety. Kieran insisted they were made for each other. There was plenty of back-and-forth as to whether it was definitely a horse, and Tan and Woorawa reckoned it was too big and way too strong to be compared with ordinary horses. Rhys reckoned it might be like a breed of graceful draft horse.

Kieran squeezeed between Rhys and Mr B and, after pulling a whole stack of leafy ends of branches they'd collected over him, lay flat on a bed of even more leaves that Woorawa said would act like insulation from the bare ground.

"I feel like a kid playing cubby houses."

"Me too, but it can't hurt. Kieran, when you go to sleep will we all lose our shields? The rest of us could be easily taken over without them."

"So could I, Rhys ... That's scary."

It was so scary that Kieran, wishing someone had said something earlier, couldn't stop wondering what to do and eventually he sat up.

Rhys didn't stir.

"What's wrong, Kieran?" Mr B whispered.

"I have to try something with Woorawa. I might be a while," Kieran whispered back.

He climbed to his feet, checked where Woorawa was keeping watch, and very quietly walked to him.

"Are you testing me? ... Or can't you sleep?"

"Testing you? For what?"

"To see how alert I am."

"I wouldn't even have thought of that, Woorawa. No, I need you to help me learn how to make our shields keep working while I'm asleep. If I don't they’ll be able to get at any of us."

"They seem to want Rhys the most, but you’re the most important. What d’you want me to do?"

"We'll have a practice mind battle but I want you to push back at me instead of just defending yourself."

"Push back? ... I wouldn't have a clue how."

"Yes you do. Think of how you build up strength when I push at you. That's a kind of push back and if you do it before I even start then it's like an attack."

"Hmm! I suppose. It would be weak as anything though. Nothing like the real attacks."

"I know, but that's good when you think about it. If a tiny attack registers with me that means it would be harder for them to do a sneak attack."

Woorawa thought for a moment.

"A sneak attack could be just as bad as a full on one, Kieran. Like you getting us to do things and we think it's our own idea. They could make Rhys think it was a good idea to ride off by himself on George to look for water or something. Or they could even sneak an idea into our minds about going in a direction that takes us straight towards them."

"And that’s why we need to try this, Woorawa. It's very important."

"I think so too but I don't see how I can help if you're asleep."

"I've already worked out how to set up the shields with a store of opal energy and leave them there without having to think about them all the time. If I increase the store of energy I think they’ll stay in place but the only way to be sure is for you to attack me when I'm asleep."

Woorawa started a soft chant and Kieran readied himself for any effect ... Yes, there it was, tiny indeed, and without the aggressive takeover feel of the external attacks, but quite definite. The chant stopped and the effect disappeared.

"Did it work, Kieran? I couldn't feel anything."

"It worked perfectly. Do it again and each time I give you a tiny mind nudge, do your push-back. You'll learn the feel of it that way and know exactly what to do when I'm asleep."

Woorawa's hum of sound started. A few seconds later when Kieran's shield reacted to a soft touch, he sent his first nudge. Five more times he signalled to Woorawa and five more times came the replying touch to the shield. A hand on Woorawa's shoulder let him know it was time to talk again.

"Well, that was different, but I think I've got the hang of it. How long you want me to wait before I try it?"

"Um! We'll try it once more now, so I can work something out, and then again after half an hour. I'll definitely be asleep by then."

"How will we know if it's worked?"

"I'll wake up and tell you. If I don't then we’re in trouble. Can you concentrate for long enough to make ten attacks while I experiment?"

"Easily. With the chant I could do it lots more than that."

"No, ten will be plenty."

And it was. By the sixth push Kieran had worked out a way to connect a small attack to a warning trigger in his mind strong enough to wake him no matter how deeply he was asleep.

"Thanks, Woorawa. Just wait till I go to sleep then try again so we know for sure it's working."

"I hope you don't get too tired with all these interruptions to your sleep, Kieran. We need you to be ready in case anything happens."

"It is nice to be sleeping to pass the time till it gets light, but with Rhys's healing we don't really need it ... Have you seen anything out there, or heard anything?"

"Not a thing ... Except for a weird crunching sound that gave me the heebie-jeebies till I worked out it was George munching grass."

They spoke quietly for a short while then Kieran went back to his position between Rhys and Mr B and closed his eyes. Almost straight away he leapt up with such a panicked yell he woke everyone else.

"What?"

"What?"

Kieran gathered his wits. Oh no!

"It's alright. Go back to sleep. I was doing an experiment and it worked better than I expected. Rhys, come with me for a few minutes. I need your help with Woorawa."

"Why? What's happened to him?"

"I need your magic hands to wake him up. I clobbered him so hard he’s unconscious."

"What did you do that for?"

Unlike Kieran, whose mind was racing from the adrenaline surge he’d just given himself, Rhys was only half awake.

"An experiment. He pushed against my shield and I reacted so strongly I knocked him out."

"How are we going to find him?"

"I know where he is."

"I mean us. You'll have to make a light or we’ll bash into all the trees."

It was dark but there was enough starlight filtering through to let them make their way carefully.

"Hold my hand and I’ll lead, Rhys. I've got the way in my mind from a little while ago."

It was a nice feeling, edging through the dark like this, but Woorawa needed attention so there was no dallying, and a few moments later they were kneeling beside his inert form. Rhys's hands rested on his temples and after a burst from the opal Woorawa stirred and sat up.

"Gods, Kieran! That felt like a bolt of lightning hit me."

"Sorry. I overreacted, but at least we know the shields work when I'm asleep. Next time you do it you’ll be protected."

"Next time? I don't know if I'm game."

"You’ll be ok. I promise."

"Well ... All right. How long do you want me to wait?"

"Um ... How long before you finish your lookout time? I'll do the next one because I want to do some thinking and practising."

"Hey! That's meant to be me."

"I know, Rhys. How about we do it together?"

Tan’s watch was their only way to tell the time and Woorawa pressed the light button to read the display.

"It's only forty-five minutes. I waited half an hour last time to make sure you were asleep."

"It's hardly worth us going back to sleep again, Kieran. Let's take over now so Woorawa can have a longer rest."

"I can't, Rhys. I have to make sure I've got the shields working properly and that means Woorawa has to be awake while I'm asleep. Why don't you stay here and watch out for him when he attacks me?"

"An attack? A minute ago you said it was just a push. Is he learning how to do the same stuff as you?"

" ... You do the same each time you fight against the Medusa look when we’re practising. He's just a lot better at it and his push is strong enough to make my shields work."

"Wow! All right. I'll stay here in case you knock him out again. I want to see this."

"He won't get knocked out."

"Something else you don't expect might happen though. I reckon ... What’s that noise? I heard something."

It was the soft crunch of George cropping a tuft of grass. Kieran nearly didn't say anything then remembered how spooky it had been earlier.

"It's your friend, Rhys. He makes that sound when he bites off some grass."

"... George? Gods! That spook rider’s got me thinking of night monsters sneaking up on us. I'm going to talk to him. Are you coming with me, Woorawa?"

Kieran made his way back to the resting place.

***

"I'm hungry. What are we going to do about food?"

"Keep your eyes on the lookout, Rhys. There's not going to be any shops so we might have to catch an animal."

"What? A live one?"

"We don't want a dead one."

"I know that. I meant how. We haven't got anything to catch one with except Tan’s pocketknife."

"We'll have to find it first. That’ll be the hard part."

"Catching it will be easy. Kieran can tell it to stand still."

"What? Just tell an animal to stand still then we walk up and kill it? That's awful, Woorawa, like we're cheating or something."

"I know, Rhys, but we might starve if we don't."

"I'm going to look out for fruit trees or wild berries. I'd rather eat them then kill an animal."

"Tan, you eat meat at home."

"Yes, but that's different because I don't have to kill it."

"Someone has to and if you eat it it’s just as much your responsibility."

"I know, I always think I should be a vegetarian but I like the taste too much ... What was happening last night, Kieran? I heard you getting up all the time."

"Woorawa helped me work out how to keep our shields going while I'm asleep and then I shared a look-out with Rhys."

"What about George? Have you got a shield for him too? They might be able to use him to work out where we are."

Kieran stopped in his tracks and everyone turned to look at him.

"I wish we'd thought of that last night. Hang on while I have a try."

Kieran moved in front of George and rested a hand on his forehead. He didn't really need physical contact but it felt right and after a few seconds everything clicked into place.

"There we are. We've now got six shields going. His mind’s different to ours but not much. I had a quick look and he’s cleverer than you are, Rhys."

"What? You can tell that? ... You're an idiot, Kieran."

Kieran’s grin had given him away.

"No, but I can tell that he likes you riding him, and he must be pretty smart to have worked out what you want him to do so quickly."

Mr B interrupted.

"Let's talk while we’re moving. I'm more worried about water than food. We haven't had any since the break for healing Tan's leg and we need it even more than we need food."

He was right and everyone stepped out. The plan to get to the hills hadn't changed and after leaving the clump of trees they were now back on course. The surroundings were fairly open here but perhaps a kilometre ahead was a band of trees and Kieran wondered if the way might get more tricky.

Woorawa suddenly laughed.

"Well, we won't go hungry. The bird calls woke me up this morning and we’ve been seeing birds ever since and we know Kieran can call them up easily."

"We’ll have to cook them. How are we going to start a fire?"

"I've learnt how to do that on our bushwalks at home, Rhys, but it's fiddly and a lot of effort when we've got Kieran. He'll just zap some dry grass like he does for the candles."

"Crikey! We'd be in a lot of trouble if Kieran couldn't do all these things. I hope we don't get separated ... Look. There are two birds near that bush ... I wonder what they taste like?"

"What are they, Kieran or Mr B? They don't look like birds we see at home."

Kieran looked to Mr B because he knew a lot more.

"They look like little magpies, Tan, but they’re definitely not Australian."

"Will we catch them ... in case there aren't any birds at the top of the hills?"

"Not yet. We need to find water before we stop for anything else. If we don't see a lake or a river from the top we might even have to think about going back to the giant trees and the forest. There has to be water there."

"And spook riders trying to get us. They didn’t take long so they must have come from somewhere close."

When they reached the band of trees the theory that they were following a kind of trail became more definite when two tree stumps gave a clear indication of a narrow pathway leading up the slope. Woorawa led the way. He hadn't had firsthand experience with exploring new places himself, but he had a great deal of knowledge from listening to descriptions of ventures of his people into the bush and wild country near Alice Springs.

Rhys, looking very pleased to be riding on George, was next, and then Kieran, Tan and Mr B followed in single file except for the occasional stretch where the trail widened enough to let them bunch up. After steadily climbing for another half an hour the trees cleared and the top of the hill came into view. Everyone was eager to reach this target so Kieran was surprised when Woorawa ran off the trail towards a small rocky outcrop.

"What's he doing?"

"How would I know, Kieran? ... He's seen something."

He certainly had. He was gesturing and pointing. Kieran looked of course, then shared the hush of amazement with everyone else before rushing to reach Woorawa's better vantage point.

"That's incredible! That must be where the lights and the scary thing on George came from."

Rising behind the forest near the two giant trees, and part of an extensive castle structure, were three tall spires. Surrounding them were quite a number of smaller spires.

"It's huge. Hundreds of people could live there."

"More than hundreds, Tan, and who says they’re people? I couldn't find any trace of a mind with George's rider when it started giving us orders last night."

They'd already talked extensively about the nature of the disappearing rider.

"It must have had a mind, Kieran. How could it talk and control George otherwise?"

"I don't know. I can't figure it out. Let's get to the top first and look from there. That castle’s beautiful but it makes me nervous. If more of those riders come from there we’ll be in big trouble ... Can you see anything happening between here and the Emperor trees, Woorawa? Your eyes are better than anyone else's."

Woorawa raised one hand to shield his eyes from the brightness of the sky and stared for twenty or thirty seconds.

"It's too far to tell, Keiran. I might be able to pick up movement if I concentrate for a few minutes but I'll wait till we get to the top before I try that."

They scrambled down from the rocky outcrop to where George was happily grazing on the grass beside the trail, then pushed on for another ten minutes with an unspoken but mutually agreed sense of urgency. When they reach the top Woorawa ran to climb a rock for another good vantage point. Rhys dismounted from George with remonstrations that everybody was leaving him behind, then caught up and joined in the perusal of the castle.

"Wow! It sure is big. That back part extends like a town ... Hey look. There’s a lake behind it too." The mention of water prompted every head to leave looking at the castle and seek in other directions for any other lakes or signs of water.

"Gods! What's that?"

Kieran's mind reeled and he grabbed at Rhys for support. In the opposite direction to the castle a disturbing wall of shimmering light extended across the horizon. Looking at it was an assault on his senses and he had to close his eyes to regain equilibrium.

"Hey? What's happening?"

Rhys's grip firmed and when Kieran opened his eyes without looking at the bizarre wall, he saw that Woorawa was supporting a very woozy looking Mr B.

"Sit him down, Woorawa, in case he flakes out, and I'll do the same for Kieran. That wall’s affecting them."

It certainly was. Kieran took another look and instantly turned his head away from the onslaught of sickening sensations and let Rhys lower him to a sitting position.

"I can't look at it at all, Rhys. It makes my head go weird."

The grin pushed its way through the concern on Rhys's features and Kieran half smiled himself. Saying his head was weird was definitely going to be thrown back at him. Rhys looked at Mr B before answering.

"I think we've got two weird heads here. I can look at it easily. It's like a giant aurora except it's white."

Kieran looked to Tan and Woorawa who both nodded in agreement.

"Aurora’s a good description, Kieran. It's bizarre to look at but I don't feel anything else."

Kieran took another quick peek. It was awful.

"Well I definitely can't look."

Mr B agreed.

"Neither can I. It feels like something’s eating my brain and the longer I look the faster it eats."

Kieran was surprised at how close that was to his own feelings and he risked a slightly longer look to check. Yes, it really was like that.

"That's strange. I wonder why it affects you and Mr B and not the rest of us? What about a shield against it, Kieran? If we have to travel in that direction it'll drive you crazy."

Kieran sent a burst of energy to his section of the group shield and peeked at the wall.

"Whoo! Our ordinary shield doesn't make any difference, Woorawa. I'll see if I can work something out after I've had a good look at everything in the castle direction."

"Give yourself and Mr B a healing burst from Rhys first. You both went wobbly for a moment. Hey! A healing pool thing like you did with Tan's leg might help you look at it."

"That's a good idea, Woorawa, and we’ll have a try at it, but it’ll be awkward if we both have to be touching Rhys while we’re on the move."

Woorawa laughed.

"Rhys will have to walk so you and Mr B can hold hands all the time. You’ll be the triplets you call yourselves."

"Walk? What about George then?"

"Tan can ride him."

Rhys looked very dubious.

"I don't know. He might fall off."

Now it was Kieran's turn to laugh.

"What a traitor! You’d rather ride George than hold hands with me and Mr B?"

"Whoops! I was thinking George doesn't know Tan and it might be strange for him ... You’re laughing?"

Kieran wondered why Rhys was asking.

"Um, yes?"

"That means when you stop looking at the wall you recover quickly?"

"As long as I don't keep looking at it like the first time. I'm still a bit wobbly from that."

Rhys put his hand on Kieran's forehead and reached the other towards Mr B who took it straight away and looked expectantly at Kieran. In a moment they were both fully recovered. Kieran turned his back on the wall and studied the view towards the castle and beyond.

"Is there a lake in the wall direction? We need to find water before anything else."

There was no answer till Tan spoke tentatively.

"I can't see a lake but there’s a run of darker trees and vegetation that might be a creek or a river. See down there on the right? What do you think, Woorawa?"

"Hey, yes. It is too. I can't see any water so it can't be a river ... Yes, I can. Look, there's a tiny bit through the trees where I’m pointing."

Tan and Rhys moved to look over Woorawa's shoulder for a more accurate line of direction but couldn't pick out any glint.

"Are you sure? It must be awfully small."

"It's hard to see but I'm fairly certain it's water ... It must be, because that line of trees is definitely taller than the surroundings and that would happen if there’s a flow of water."

Kieran was quite frustrated with not being able to look for himself while Tan, Rhys and Woorawa discussed what they could see. He checked Mr B and got a look that said he was feeling the same.

"How far away is it, Woorawa?"

"If there was a trail going near, it would take us less than an hour, but it'll be longer if we have to find our own way. We mightn’t have to go that far though because if it really is a creek we can look for it upstream."

"That sounds good. What else can you see?"

After another time of silence and searching the answer came from all three that everything just looked like a lot of wild country and nothing else.

"It's just trees and open patches of ground all the way to the wall, Kieran. The darker line goes there too, so if it's a creek we’ll probably have to follow it."

"All right. We'll head for the water as soon as we can. Rhys, keep holding my hand while I try to figure out what to do about this Wall. Woorawa and Tan, I think you should keep looking for anything that might be interesting. It looks like there are farms and paddocks near the lake on the other side of the castle so I think we’re heading away from where anyone lives."

"You reckon? Maybe the Wall or whatever it is affects them too, and that's why there's no one out this way."

"That makes sense, Rhys, and this trail might even be here as a way to get to the Wall."

The group ended up sitting where they were for nearly twenty minutes. After the first five minutes of continued glancing at the Wall and calling on the Opal and Rhys’s healing to counteract the disorientation, Kieran had a partial success in blocking its effect. This convinced him there must be a way for a full block and filled him determination to find it. Gradually he extended the time he could look, trying variations of the shielding techniques he'd built up, till he could cope with ten or twelve seconds of direct viewing before needing a revival boost.

Woorawa kept a barrage of questions and suggestions flowing, which was distracting, but also giving him helpful ideas. When he was just about to give up and rely on the holding hands plan while they walked, Woorawa put forward an idea that solved everything.

"Kieran, you're okay for the moment when you get a healing boost from Rhys, so can you sort of work out what's going on in your mind while that happens? I know healing isn’t a shield but it does stop the effect while you're doing it."

Kieran thought back to the last healing burst and looked at Woorawa in amazement.

"How could you tell that? I didn't even realise it was happening."

"I noticed a pattern that when you’re being healed you look at the Wall and talk as if it's not doing anything to you."

"What? How can you know when I'm getting healed? Do I get a funny look or something, because that all happens in my head?"

"Your hand glows blue, Kieran. I think it's a habit. Try healing yourself really slowly and see if that lets you look at the Wall the whole time."

Kieran already knew it was going to work, but the slow heal idea was an interesting extra.

"Here we go with experiment number sixty."

Kieran placed a pool of energy with Rhys and then, using the opposite of the speed up technique he'd worked out for Tan’s healing, slowed the healing right down and gazed at the Wall.

"Wow! You’re a genius, Woorawa. I've got the healing at about one quarter of normal and the Wall looks weird but that's all. I'm going to keep the healing trickling and look for how it blocks away the mind parasite."

"Mind parasite? That's a weird description. Does it feel like a live thing?"

"No, but I'm the same as Mr B and it does feel like it's eating my mind."

No one spoke for the next few minutes because Kieran had the intense expression which appeared whenever he was concentrating fiercely on something. Mr B knew it from certain times in their tutoring sessions before the scholarship exams. Woorawa recognised it particularly from all the practice battles with their mind shields, and Rhys and Tan associated it especially with the time he'd healed the brick wound.

Six times Kieran stopped the healing process, each time trying to sense any internal change that was occurring in the moment when a restart meant the Wall stopped having an effect. The first three times he focused on his mind shield, thinking that something must be making it work better, but probing more and more delicately each time showed absolutely no change. The next three times he switched tactics and tried to follow where the healing energy was going ... Amazing. A section of his his brain linked with his eyes was kind of switching on and off according to whether the healing was coming through ... And, now that he’d seen the switch he should be able to replicate it. Yes, that was it. He stopped the healing, flicked the switch in place, looked directly at the white disturbance and startled everyone with his yell of excitement.

"Yay! I've worked it out. I can look and nothing happens."

"Can you keep looking?"

"For as long as I want to. It's like turning a switch on and off."

"Well, what about Mr B? Can you switch it off for him?"

Whoops! Sorry. Hold Rhys’s hand, Mr B, and I'll see if I can make it work for you."

It only took one try. Kieran started the healing, followed it, and watched the switch happen. It was almost identical to his own and just as easy to operate.

"Let go of Rhys's hand, Mr B. You'll be okay from now on."

Mr B did so and straight away looked toward the shimmering light.

"Amazing! Thank you, Kieran. It still makes me cringe in expectation but then nothing happens. How on earth did you work out how to stop it so quickly?"

"That's his pattern, Mr B. Nothing seems to take long once he puts his mind to it."

"That just makes it all the more amazing, Rhys, and you're right about it being a pattern too. It's exactly what he did with his maths and swimming."

"Yeah, and when he learnt all those birds on the Grampians trip."

Kieran felt awkward and brought the conversation back on topic.

"It wasn't that quick. I thought it must be part of our shields till I followed the healing energy and saw it changing part of my brain that lets me see things ... Then I just copied what was happening. It's no big deal, Rhys."

"It is to me ... Let's get moving. We need to find water."

There was a chorus of agreement but not from Kieran.

"Not yet, Rhys. Let Woorawa do his focus thing for any movement first. We’re always rushing from one thing to the next and it'll only take a few extra minutes."

"Okay, but it doesn't seem like rushing to me. We have to find water and if that's a creek we’ll end up following it. It's the only choice that makes any sense."

"Rhys is right, Kieran. I'm fairly sure it’s a creek and that means it'll be the best place to find food too."

"Yeah, I suppose, Woorawa, but I still don't want to rush and five minutes of checking won't hurt."

Woorawa swivelled 180° and settled to survey everything in the direction of the trees and the castle. Everyone did the same and sat quietly so as not to interrupt his concentration.

Despite the fact that it was too far away to see anything the size of a person or a horse, Kieran's attention kept returning to the castle with the background thought that it had to be the most likely place for anything to happen. For a couple of minutes there was nothing but then Tan pointed slightly upwards and everything changed.

"There are two big birds, Kieran. I think they might even be eagles, so why don't you get them looking at things for us? Birds of prey have unreal eyesight and they can see things from miles away."

Woorawa's quiet concentration broke and he jumped eagerly to his feet.

"Where are they, Tan? I've been focusing along the ground where we travelled ... That's a brilliant idea."

With Tan's guidance the two birds were quickly pinpointed.

"Do you think you can control them, Kieran? They could check out the trail for us, or even the castle if they respond like any other birds."

"Not from that far. They’re miles away."

"Use the Opal then. That should help."

After a moment of startlement Kieran laughed.

"Of course it will ... New idea number sixty-five. Hang on while I give it a try."

So far Kieran had been close enough to make out the features of any birds or animals before he identified and communicated with them, and the opal had never been part of it. If distance just needed more strength then the opal would be perfect.

Looking at the birds from here gave no sense of connection at all. Focusing and kind of reaching still did nothing, so he called on the opal and tried again. Yes, there they were. The familiar connection started then, abruptly, stopped. Weird. That had never happened before. Maybe it was because of the distance? Kieran carefully added more energy, tried again and was shocked to realise the barrier was really coming from an external source. Someone else had control ... No way! He forced them out with a quick blast of energy, built shields of his own, then checked the well-being and awareness of the birds. His adrenaline surged and his mind started racing.

"Gods, Tan! Just as well you saw them when you did. They were looking for us."

"What do you mean?"

Someone was controlling them the same way I do, and making them look for us. I pushed them out but if they'd been there for a few more minutes they’d have known exactly where we are."

Everyone gawked, then Woorawa looked back at the sky.

"Can anyone see other birds flying? There could be more looking for us ... The top of this hill is too open, Kieran. I think rushing’s exactly what we need to do right now."

"Can you tell what the birds are seeing, Kieran?"

"In a way. It's hard to explain but I know that they’re looking at the ground, and that one of them was interested in some small birds for food a moment ago, and now it's out of balance because it wanted to hunt and couldn't because my control wouldn't let it ... There, I’ve made it forget the birds, and now I've sent them both lower to look for anything like a horse moving this way."

Woorawa led the way back to the trail and Rhys went to climb on George but changed his mind.

"Kieran, you should ride for a while so it's easier to concentrate on the Eagles and everything else. It's kind of relaxing sitting up there while George does all the work."

Woorawa and Mr B agreed. Kieran looked at George dubiously then laughed because he'd stirred Rhys for having exactly the same feeling.

"Okay, I will because I'm bringing one of the Eagles close to us so it can scout the water and they’re not happy about being separated."

Kieran climbed into the saddle and enjoyed the feeling of pleasure that came from George.

"Are you using the Opal much, Kieran? You've got an awful lot going on."

"A bit. The Eagles are still too far away to control without its help, Woorawa, and keeping our shields going’s a bit of a stretch too since I've made the bird’s shields as good as ours."

Woorawa headed off smartly along the trail which now had a downward slope and Kieran twisted for a last glimpse of the distant castle before it disappeared from view.

"Can you keep eight shields going indefinitely, Kieran?"

"Easily, Mr B. It's only complicated at the moment because I'm not used to the bird’s minds, but once that settles in it'll be just as automatic as it is for George and the rest of us."

"And why do the birds need such full on shields?"

"So that anything trying to get to them gets blasted. I'm sick of all these takeovers against us."

The vehement tone registered with everyone except Woorawa who was far enough ahead not to be able to hear it.

"Can I sit behind you, Kieran? George can easily carry two at once."

Kieran nodded and took one foot out of the stirrup thing so Rhys could get mounted behind him. When two hands clasped round his middle Kieran instantly decided that riding double was a very satisfactory way to travel. A few minutes later the fire in his voice was replaced with humour.

"Keep an eye out everyone. We've got a visitor."

Woorawa stopped dead in his tracks and searched to the sides instead of forward while Tan and Mr B whirled to see who might be closing from behind. Rhys was twisting in all directions except the relevant one. Whoops!

"Don't panic. Look up."

High above a magnificent bird changed from glide to dive and plummeted at breathtaking speed toward the astonished group. Kieran shared the astonishment because, while he'd sensed power, this first sight of form and strength was as new for him as it was for everyone else.

"Stand still, Tan, and don't panic. She’s friendly and I'm telling her to land on your shoulder."

Tan didn't just stand still, he froze on the spot in complete disbelief.

With perfect control the bird shed its speed and alighted with widespread wings which then folded against its body.

Tan's worried expression lessened as the time of amazed group observation extended without any worrying moves from the bird perched quite placidly on his shoulder.

Kieran broke the silence.

"She's not going to bite or scratch, Tan, and she’s happy to stay there till we give her a command to do something else. I'm sensing that she’s used to it."

"Will she fall off or get upset if I move?"

"No. I can tell she's got really good balance. I’ll leave her there for a few minutes while we get going again so she gets used to us and then I'll set her flying again."

"God's, Kieran! That beak looks scary. I'd be nervous having it so close to my ear."

"I'm in full control, Rhys, but she wouldn't do anything anyway because she's worked out that Tan likes her."

"She has? George liked Rhys after only a couple of seconds too, so I wonder if that means something?"

Mr B’s comment went unanswered because Kieran started George walking and everyone watched to see how Tan’s new companion would react to movement. Totally unconcerned. For the next few minutes the fierce head, with an attitude that Kieran thought was definitely regal, shifted to take in the surroundings and everything happening. Kieran watched her carefully, normally as well as with his mind, and a few hundred metres down the track where outliers of the tree line started, he gave Tan a warning and sent her aloft again.

"Wow, she's not as big as a Wedgetail, Kieran, but she looks awfully strong. I wonder if they’re the top bird of prey round here?"

"I wouldn't have a clue, Rhys. We've seen a few birds now but none of them are like any of the ones at home. For all we know there could be birds twice as big."

"Is Tan going to be our bird person? He’ll look specco with one on each shoulder ... Is the other one the same size?"

"... I don't think so. He feels smaller."

"He? Are they mates then?"

"Yes. There's a really strong bond between them and I have to keep making them happy to be separated."

"Neat. Where is he now? Will we see him soon?"

"No. He's close to the two tree stumps at the moment but I'm sending him back towards the Emperor trees to check for anything new happening ... Yay! There's definitely water close by."

Kieran’s excited yell grabbed everyone's attention.

"Look for the Eagle. She’s found water and I'm sending her higher so we can see how close it is."

A few seconds later it was Woorawa making an excited yell and pointing.

"There she is ... She's really close ... Only three or four hundred metres, Kieran, and it looks pretty close to where the track’s heading ... Can you keep her circling where she is?"

Everyone could see her now.

"We don't need to, Woorawa. We know where to look so I'm sending her after the other one. They’re happier when they’re working together.

The circling changed to a powerful burst of effort as Tan’s new companion climbed for altitude and raced to rendezvous with her partner.

"What does it feel like when she's on your shoulder, Tan?"

"Unreal! Scary at first but then I got goosebumps every time she moved or her feathers brushed against my ear. Now she's not here I've got a funny feeling that I'm dreaming while I'm awake."

Rhys had lots more questions but they went on hold because Woorawa was jogging away and the group scurried till they rounded a bend and caught up. To the right a secondary trail disappeared through the trees.

Woorawa was excited.

"I bet this is the way to the water. It's right where the Eagle was so it must be close. D’you want to wait while I check it out?"

"Get real, Woorawa. We're not waiting here dying of thirst while you're guzzling yourself full ... And we shouldn’t get separated anyway. What d’you reckon, Kieran?"

Kieran held a hand up.

"Shoosh. I heard a good sound."

The sound came again and the distinctive croak made everyone's eyes light up.

"Lead the way, Mr super scout. If there’s a frog there’s water."

The super scout's eager smile disappeared in one second flat, not because it stopped, but because he was now ahead and already jogging. Forty meters further on they paused to take in the cleared area and the water bubbling over an artificial rock barrier from the little pool behind it. The surge forward stopped with Woorawa's forceful command.

"One at a time, and no guzzling or you might get sick. Kieran, you’re first and limit yourself to six good swallows. Rhys, follow where the water’s trickling and see if there's a good place where George can drink without spoiling the water. Mr B, you’re next, then Tan and me. Kieran, can we stop here? I want to follow the water for a while to look for pools where there might be fish. Now that we've got water we can concentrate on finding food, and fish would be much nicer for most of us than frogs."

Kieran nodded and looked at everyone else.

"Woorawa knows more than any of us about this kind of stuff so we’d be silly not to listen to him. What do you think, Mr B?"

"I agree absolutely. He's already stopped us getting stomach-aches, and without his ideas about leaves and shelter last night we’d have been miserable, so I vote we make him the boss of all food and camping."

There was rapid assent all round because, along with it being the default situation anyway, everyone was eager to get at the water.

Kieran dismounted, walked to the little rock wall and knelt for six swallows of beautifully refreshing, cool, clear water.

His throat wasn't parched, but all the activity since his last drink did mean his body was now greatly relieved. Conscious of everyone else's needs he moved hastily to make way.

"It's beautiful water, Woorawa. How long before we have another drink?"

"Just a minute or two, Kieran, and if you’re feeling okay you can drink as much as you like. I just thought it was a good idea to go easy for the first drink. It's a natural spring as far as I can see, so it’ll be as clean as anything."

Kieran moved a couple of metres to the back of the pool and saw that Woorawa was right. There was no inflow so the water must be welling straight out of the ground.

At the end of the clearing, where the watercourse went into the trees, George had his head down at what must be another pool with Rhys's hand resting on his flank. Hmm! That was interesting. There was a sense that he was familiar with this drinking spot.

Woorawa finished his drink and stood up.

''Keep track, Kieran. I might be gone for ten or fifteen minutes."

"Not by yourself, Woorawa. Rhys is fitter than the rest of us so take him with you."

Woorawa hesitated, as if he was going to say it wasn't necessary, then jogged off to where Rhys was now kneeling not far from George. After a murmur of conversation they slipped out of sight into the tree line.

Tan looked anxious.

"You can tell if they’re all right can't you, Kieran? I don't like anyone being separated."

"Neither do I, Tan, but Woorawa's got it in his mind to find fish for our first food."

"Will we start a fire? I can collect some wood and leaves."

"Hmm. I don't know. Do you think we should, Mr B?"

Mr B shook his head.

"Let's wait till we hear first. If Woorawa does find a deep enough pool we’ll have to go there anyway because Kieran’s the only one who can catch the fish."

"Shouldn't we all have gone with him then?"

"Probably, but it might be hard for George, and if there isn't anything we'll probably have to go back to the main trail."

Kieran had his second, and bigger, drink then sat quietly and concentrated on keeping track of the two Eagles as well as Rhys and Woorawa, while Mr B and Tan explored along the watercourse for any sign of the frogs they'd heard.

After about ten minutes Tan and Mr B returned to sit beside Kieran.

"Wow! George likes the grass in this clearing. He hasn't stopped eating except for another drink ... Have Rhys and Woorawa found anything yet, Kieran?"

"... Yes, Tan. They’re both feeling exc ... Whoo! The Eagles have just seen movement ... They’re near the Emperor trees and it's ... Three horses like George ... With riders ... And they’re coming this way."

"Three? We'll have to hide, Kieran. Just one of them with that rope thing was almost too much. Are they moving very quickly?"

"Wait a moment while I send the Eagles down for a closer look."

Mr B and Tan watched quietly while Kieran concentrated.

"Yes, really fast. The Eagle’s minds are comparing them with prey that’s running to escape ... No ... They’ve stopped ... And they are looking up ... Ha!"

Kieran's commentary stopped and after a few seconds of fierce concentration he laughed.

"They won't try that again."

"Try what? Kieran, tell us what’s happening?"

"Sorry. Something tried to break through the Eagles’ shields but whoever it was got knocked silly."

"The three riders?"

"I don't think so but they have started moving again so I'll keep the Eagles watching them. Mr B, you can lead the way through the trees and Tan and I will follow. Woorawa and Rhys know we’re coming and they say it's open enough for George to pick a way through, as long as we don't stay right next to the water."

"We’re going off the trail so we can hide?"

"Yes, Tan, and catch something to eat. Woorawa's seen ripples that must be fish."

With the need to pick a way for George it took nearly half an hour to cover the ground that Woorawa and Rhys had covered in ten minutes and most of the conversation centred on that. Their thoughts raced with other conjectures. Kieran suddenly let out a cooee and there was an exchange of grins when it was answered from not far ahead.

"They’re only fifty metres past this pool with the two rocks in the middle, Tan, and Woorawa says we have to keep to the left because the trees are too thick from another watercourse joining in from the right."

The fifty metres turned into almost eighty because of a detour around a thick clump of trees, but with an exchange of cooees acting as a homing beacon, the smiling faces of Woorawa and Rhys were soon in front of them.

"Yay! You got here. This is a great spot to stop for food or even to camp, Kieran. Was it hard for George to get through? We've seen ripples six times so far in these pools and we can't wait for you to help us catch the fish. Woorawa got all the makings for a fire ready too, so we can can start cooking straight away. We’ve ... What's happened? Tan looks worried."

"I'm not too worried, Rhys ... Well I am really, because three of those spook riders are looking for us and someone tried to take the Eagles away from Kieran."

Rhys and Woorawa's eyes widened and they swivelled back to Kieran.

"Yes, the Eagles are watching them and they’re nearly at the two stumps at the other side of the hill, so there’s still a while before they get really close, and if they have to leave the track to follow us that will slow them down even more."

"You think they'll know where we are, Kieran?"

"The one last night was definitely tracking us, Rhys, so we’ll have to presume these can too."

Woorawa voiced his strong agreement.

"And that was when it was dark enough to need a light, so they must be expert trackers when it's daylight. They will catch up sometime, Kieran, so what can we do to stop them?"

"As soon as I see them I'll make their horses buck them off like George did last night."

"Yes, great idea, and let's hope they’re not holding any of the rope things. If they've all got them we've had it."

"Why don't you buck them all off now so they have to walk, Kieran? That would give us stacks more time."

"It's too far, Woorawa. I have to see them before I can take over."

"No you don't. You can't see the Eagles and you are still in control, and I remember at the Valley of the Eagles you called frogs you couldn't see once you knew the first one."

Rhys got quite excited with this idea.

"And you’ve known George since last night so won't the pattern be strong for these new horses?"

"Well, I suppose so ... And if I can do it now it’ll sure slow the riders down, which is totally important. Things are starting to get complicated, Rhys. Keeping our shields going is easy but controlling two Eagles and four horses at the same time might be too much."

"Your Opal will get you through, Kieran."

"The first reach for the horses is the only time I'll need it. After that it's all about learning to juggle new things in my mind. Watch George while I concentrate, Rhys.”

Kieran closed his eyes because there was an awful lot to focus on. The horse feeling was as clear as a bell in his mind, but taking it to new horses several kilometres away was beyond him without help. He called extra energy and reached in a similar way to that which he'd used for the Eagles .... Nothing? Why not? ... What was different? Hmm! What if he did need eye contact? Maybe pinpointing their position through the Eagles’ eyes would work?

Both Eagles swooped low and when they skimmed only metres above the rider’s heads the three horses skittered sideways and came to a stop.

Kieran reached again and this time the finer focus let him link with ... One... Two ... Three horses. The hours of familiarity with George let the link change instantly to direct control and the three steeds erupted with an outburst of bucking, screaming, and violent twisting in their efforts to rid themselves of the vastly inimical creatures they'd suddenly sensed on their backs. In seconds they were free and bolting in panic along the track. After a few more seconds the panic vanished and their speed slowed to a steady and purposeful canter.

Kieran opened his eyes to a frightened neigh ringing loud in his ears and saw George almost twenty metres away with Rhys running after him. He helped George and called to Rhys.

"It's all right now, Rhys. A little bit of what I sent the other horses leaked through and frightened him."

Rhys led George back, calming him all the way.

"If that was just a little bit it must've been awful for the other three. Are they all right now?"

"Happy as anything, Rhys. They’ve passed the two tree stumps and they know they have to follow the track till they catch up with us."

"What about the riders? Are they coming too?"

"I'll tell you in a minute when I'm properly settled in with the three horses and got their shields working. Where’s a good place to see one of these fish, Woorawa? I'll have to do that before I can control them."

"You can control fish now, Kieran, as well is four horses and two Eagles?"

"As long as it's not non-stop, Woorawa. I only have to be in control when I'm telling them what to do ... The Eagles can see the riders walking this way so I'll tell the male to keep watching while the female goes hunting ... There, that's set in their minds till I make a change ... And the three horses will follow the trail till I tell them to do something else ... Hmm, they’re hungry, so I'll let them stop when they reach the rock pool."

"Hey, if the three new horses are as friendly as George we won't have to walk any more."

"As long as we’re on a track or fairly open ground, Rhys."

Woorawa was now pointing to some bushes next to a wider section of the pool of water.

"You’re hidden a bit just there, Kieran, and there were a few ripples near here when we first arrived ... How are we going to catch them?"

"Um ... Everyone stay still till I see one, and then, when I've called some others, we'll have to get in the water to pick them up."

It took a while for a fish to actually come into view, but once that happened Kieran was able to get his mind right, and in a few minutes more there were six fish placidly waiting near the edge. Rhys did the honours and, following instructions, flicked them out of the water to Woorawa who quickly dispatched and gutted them with Tan's pocketknife.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 10
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kieran's control and use of his talent just keeps growing and his cohorts are full of ideas which help.  It is beginning to seem as they may be residents of this realm for a while...

 

The wall or curtain of light seemed malevolent and I wonder if it is a window from the realm of the king?

 

More please!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Kieran's control and use of his talent just keeps growing and his cohorts are full of ideas which help.  It is beginning to seem as they may be residents of this realm for a while...

 

The wall or curtain of light seemed malevolent and I wonder if it is a window from the realm of the king?

 

More please!

Yep! You're nearly right - they're caught in the RealmS for a while.

 

The Wall confounds the companions and leads to situations that are indeed malevolent.

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 4
Link to comment

I keep worrying that the opal or Kieran will suddenly run out of energy, but maybe they recharge even faster in the realms. A shame the horses didn't trample those riders when they panicked. Tan will need shoulder pads if those eagles are going to ride on him regularly. I love reading about their exploring and discussions about how to survive.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I keep worrying that the opal or Kieran will suddenly run out of energy, but maybe they recharge even faster in the realms. A shame the horses didn't trample those riders when they panicked. Tan will need shoulder pads if those eagles are going to ride on him regularly. I love reading about their exploring and discussions about how to survive.

Yikes! I covered the sharp eagle talons at Keiran's first encounter at the Valley of the Eagles  but didn't even think about it here. - minor revision and editing required.  :)

Thanks, Timothy.

Lots of exploring ahead ... and survival is definitely on the agenda.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hmmm!  Catching fish like that is cheating, sort of, the worry would be are they edible.  Another really good strong chapter thank you.  Kieran is getting better at adapting to the situation and is able utilize the Opal's power to very good effect.  This will only make him stronger and better able to defend against attacks from the Elven folk.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Dathi said:

Hmmm!  Catching fish like that is cheating, sort of, the worry would be are they edible.  Another really good strong chapter thank you.  Kieran is getting better at adapting to the situation and is able utilize the Opal's power to very good effect.  This will only make him stronger and better able to defend against attacks from the Elven folk.  

Definitely cheating, as Rhys expressed - but also very effective.

Yes, I continue to be surprised myself at how well and how quickly he adapts - I wonder what's going on there?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Great update,  this chapter just flowed seamlessly.   Can't wait to see what happens next.   Keep up the great work. 

Thanks again chs. :)

Lots of quite momentous events are approaching so I hope your anticipation is suitably rewarded. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I think that Kieran is learning about powers he has always had, but has forgotten about, or the way they operate has been submerged in his mind by outside forces. And I have a suspicion that Rhys is either a companion or a guardian for him because of the magic of his fingers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..