Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,021 Words
  • 2,552 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 30. Chapter 30

Chapter 30.

"Wear your packs through the Wall, everyone."

"We’re coming straight back, Woorawa. We don't need to."

"I hope not, Rhys, but it's a sensible precaution."

Kieran agreed with Woorawa and reached to undo the double lashings holding his pack securely to the Panther saddle. It took a bit of effort but soon he was waiting, pack on his back and shocked at the weight, for Mr B and Tan to catch up.

"What about the Panthers, Kieran? Do you want them to wait here while we go through the Wall? They'd be a lot more comfortable back at the pool and it's only five minutes away at Panther speeds."

"They deserve every bit of comfort they can get, Rhys, but I'm hoping we’ll be gone such a short while they might as well stay close. They’re going to stop just far enough away for the Boundary effect not to make them uncomfortable while they rest."

Woorawa turned from his Panther, shrugged his pack into place, then moved to help Tan.

"Is the Wall going to be as bad as usual, or did Ranevargar show you some way to make it better?"

"Just as bad, Woorawa. There were too many other things to learn."

"Will you have to calm Krol like you do for the horses?"

"No, just the same protection we all get."

"Will he be hard to bring? He’s a lot bigger than a horse."

"I’ll use whatever energy I need, Woorawa. It's no big deal."

"I knew that. It's the Wall getting to my nerves."

"Yeah! Me too! Let's go."

"All right. Get the picture of where we’re going in your mind and hang on to it."

"What about Krol then? He hasn't been there."

"He’s seeing what I’m seeing, Tan. I've locked it in till we’re through."

The approach to the Wall, out of their minds with the passing of time and so many other events, threatened more with every step. Kieran's glow of protection turned red for the transition then faded away as more movement gave blessed relief. Rhys stopped and turned to look at the strange shimmer.

"What happened, Kieran? That was worse than the other times."

Kieran didn't think it was and cast his mind back. Mr B disagreed with Rhys.

"No it wasn't, Rhys. It feels like it was because it’s immediate in our minds and we’re still reacting, but I remember thinking exactly the same after every other crossing ... And we’ve been spoiled because all the Tree Portals have been exciting and pleasant."

"I suppose, but Tree Portals are totally different ... Aren't they?"

"Well, it acts like a portal, except it's horrible. Did Ranevargar tell you anything about how the Boundary works, Kieran?"

"Only about concentrating on the destination. He was amazed we could come through till I showed him how the Opal protects us. There are billions of things we didn't have time to talk about. Let's hurry."

The walk out of the Dead Zone resumed.

"Hey! Here's the pool where there weren't any fish. This is exactly where we’re meant to be."

"We’d be in big trouble if it wasn't, Rhys. Sit down and rest and I'll check for any danger before I try for the reach."

Krol surprised everyone by stalking to the pool and settling in the metre deep water for a drink and a clean. Kieran shifted attention and closed his eyes to reach for any signs of danger or activity that might be of concern. First he looked for energy signatures. Ranevargar said he had a natural flair for this and had showed him the rudiments of looking externally. Wow! There was something powerful and close ... It was fading? ... Of course. Their passage through the Wall needed help from the Opal so no wonder there were signs.

That wasn't a concern so look further afield ... Good grief! Massive pulses of energy but so far off they weren't any immediate worry. Nothing local though. Kieran looked for any familiar mind patterns next. There were no horses close enough to reach without help from the Opal, so, no Spooks or other riders to threaten the group. There was a tickle of a Courser pattern but also too far away to worry about. Good. The coast was clear.

The secret link to the Pearl was always there, permanent till Ranevargar was independent and needed no more assistance, open and ready for the tendril of possession Kieran now sent through it. The pleasant tingle of connection and ownership, almost the same as he'd felt with the Opal, once again spread through his body, building and building as the Pearl responded to his will, till it approached the threshold Ranevargar had showed him, oh so carefully, where any further takeover would break the Realm Lords’ vital connections and result in exclusive possession. The Pearl should now answer his call. Kieran sent the signal but felt resistance and knew that, as Ranevargar had predicted, distance was still the enemy. He quickly reversed the level of possession and opened his eyes.

"Ranevargar was right. The Wall’s not interfering any more but there’s not enough strength in the Pearl. I have to get closer."

"What about using your Opal to help then?"

"It doesn't work that way, Rhys. If the Pearl was 100% mine there would be enough strength to call it from here but the whole point of this is to protect Ranevargar's links. He warned me against using any Opal power here in Maynor's realm too, because it would stand out like a beacon and give him a position to portal to."

"They’ll try something if they see you. You might have to use it then."

"I hope not, Woorawa, but there are Coursers out there, and if we have to get close to the Castle anyone who looks up will see us."

"If you fly at treetop level and come from behind the Emperor trees you’ll only be in view for that last little bit."

"It’s good advice, Woorawa, but Krol thinks it’ll be better to go high, extra high, and have the option for a power dive and really high speed."

"Whoo! Griffin speed is unreal ... How long before you get back?"

"I'm not sure. I’ll contact you as soon as I know."

Kieran climbed onto Krol's back and, monitored by four sets of watchful eyes, fastened all the safety harness straps firmly and securely. Anxious eyes too, worried about the prospect of separation.

"Put your helmet on now, Kieran, ready for fast flying."

"Krol’s a danger machine, Rhys. No one will hurt me."

Krol lifted from his crouch, trotted to position himself, then spread his wings and powered forward. The ungainly take off motion morphed to the grace and control of flight, and a scream of Griffin accomplishment sounded for the ground huggers. Kieran felt Krol's determination for success in the striving for evermore height with every powerful wing beat. The ground below spread in an ever-growing panorama, and the widened view gave Kieran a startling realisation of their height, at least a kilometre and still climbing, along with a new understanding of the strength and determination inherent in Ranevargar's primary Guardian.

The flight levelled and, despite the helmet’s protection, Kieran's eyes watered when the energy directed for altitude changed its purpose to horizontal speed. Kieran marvelled. The sensations from the minds of the first Coursers paled to insignificance compared with this height and speed. His own eyes, watering from the air forced through his goggles’ vision slits, were practically useless so he switched to Krol's. The superior vision brought details of the ground, so far below, into startling clarity. Yes, there were the hills they’d traversed with George, and far ahead the Emperor trees were two tiny spires. A quick message diverted Krol to look beyond them to the castle then Kieran turned his mind inward and followed the secret link to check that all was well with Ranevargar.

Whoo! His shields were reacting.

Maynor was standing in front with a red glow surrounding his hand and the object in it. The glow looked like a replay of the time when Maynor had taken the Opal. Yes, the object was the Pearl and the red glow must be the outward sign of an attempt to bind it. His shields were holding easily and Ranevargar was defiant but quite okay so Kieran strengthened his awareness of the Pearl through the link and, pushing through a strange, clingy resistance, started the possession process. Hmm! Just as well. The interference gave a sticky sensation, slowing progress, but not seriously. Kieran stopped, well before the critical threshold, held the final call in readiness, and passed a command to his steed.

"Speed, Krol! Dive then disperse as fast as you can ... But warn me when it's final approach time."

Kieran almost lost his concentration with the combination of stomach lurch and buffeting air pressure as Griffin and rider plummeted.

The connection to the Pearl built to the critical level then held till the right moment. The special call Kieran had practiced with Ranevargar pierced the tacky red boundary force of Maynor's Ruby and, strengthened by proximity, the Pearl responded. Elation and excitement rushed through Kieran with the awareness that nestled beneath his shirt, and close to his Opal, was a new Stone of Power. He shared the joy of success with Krol and, emphasising the need for speed, switched his attention to watch their passage through eyes built to cope with the rush of air. The view frightened the life out of him. Hurtling so close to the ground with the speed built by a vertical stoop of more than a kilometre was a shocking contrast to the majestic progress of their previous lofty flight.

Krol banked slightly to avoid the Emperor trees and, wings beating with the greatest power and speed yet, changed his flight path to regain some elevation. Pushing aside the exhilaration of speed and success, Kieran checked his link with Ranevargar. Whoops!! The Pearl responded so strongly he was in Ranevargar's mind before he had time to adjust to the subtle approach.

"Where is it?"

Maynor was leaning close and, through Ranevargar's eyes, Kieran saw the storm of anger clouding his features.

"I told you, I don't know. Your unlawful meddling must have activated a protective response, or maybe the High King is acting to defend me."

"Call it back, old fool, or face losing it completely when the High Court is mine."

"Fool I might be, Maynor, but while I am bound by this helmet and the Wards of this place, you know full well that is beyond me. Remove these restraints and return me to my Realm and I will honour the convention of neutrality while you make your Challenge."

"Lower those shields and I will consider it."

Ranevargar had absolutely no trust in Maynor's words.

"My mind is my own, Maynor, and you seek to violate my privacy. The shields remain."

Maynor gestured angrily and Ranevargar examined the shields with puzzlement and wonder while thrusts of Nexus energy lashed uselessly against them.

That was interesting. Ranevargar was mystified by their presence but fully confident he could trust their effectiveness for the long-term.

Maynor turned and walked away and Kieran, feeling really pleased, returned to his own situation. Krol was past the hills now and racing in a slightly downward trajectory. Good grief! They were only minutes away from rejoining the group.

"Grab your packs everyone. We’re nearly there."

Kieran smiled inside at the wave of excitement and relief which came back at him ... And there they were, clearly seen through Krol's superior vision, two figures pointing their arms and two helping each other with packs. Krol's wings stopped beating for the power glide of the last few kilometres, then changed attitude to catch air and reduce their incredible speed. With a flare of wings and action he landed and squatted to let Kieran scramble off. When his helmet and straps were released Kieran retrieved the Pearl from inside his shirt and made a triumphant little display for everyone before slipping it into the fob pocket of his jeans.

"Head for the Wall everyone. The sooner we’re out of here the better."

They didn't. Instead, as soon as his feet touched the ground, he was swamped with enough hugs and smiles to make an army happy.

"Yikes! This is embarrassing. You should be thanking Krol. He did all the work."

Krol gave a happy scrark when his neck was wrapped with Rhys's impulsive hug, and ruffled his neck feathers with pleasure at the attention from everyone else, including Kieran.

The walk to the Wall followed quickly though, because everyone was as keen as Kieran to get back to the relative safety of Ranevargar's Realm.

"Did they try anything against you, Kieran?"

"Nothing! Krol's tactics were so good I don’t think we were there long enough to even register. He did an unreal power dive from more than a kilometre high and we went past the Castle so fast I was frightened out of my brain when I got round to looking at what was happening. I watched Maynor through the link and he thinks Ranevargar made the Pearl disappear."

"Did Ranevargar get upset?"

"No, he was really puzzled, but Maynor was in the middle of trying something against the Pearl and he thinks some kind of safety mechanism has taken it back to his Realm. He was strong against Maynor too, telling him off for breaking the rules about the Pearl, and when Maynor got aggro and crashed against his shields, Ranevargar watched how it had no effect and decided he’d be able to hold out for ages."

"How long is ages? We still have to rush to get Maurice don't we?"

Kieran turned to Mr B.

"Maurice?"

Mr B shook his head in puzzlement.

"Don't ask me. It's another Rhys mystery."

"Dorks! Maurice is the Dragon."

Kieran gawped at him, well, so did the others.

"Maurice? Rhys, you’re joking us. We can't call a Dragon Maurice."

"Why not? I'm sick of saying the Dragon or the Dragon construct or the ultimate Guardian or whatever other names we've been calling him so far."

"Maurice makes him sound like someone's twin brother ... or a lawyer."

"Does not! Maurice came into my head straight away."

Woorawa started laughing.

"I can't wait to see this. You walk up to a gigantic dragon and say, ‘Hi Maurice old buddy. I hope you like your name and please don't incinerate me if you don't.’"

"As if. He's a Guardian so he’ll be friendly as anything, just like Krol."

"Rhys, the first time we saw Krol we thought we were going to die, and Ranevargar said Krol was like a chicken compared to ... to Maurice."

Rhys laughed because with Mr B. using the name he knew it was going to stick.

"Did you really dive from a kilometre in one big stoop, Kieran?"

"At least. It might even have been one and a half. Why?"

"It must have been specco. When something falls through the air it reaches about 200 kph."

Mr B knew about this.

"Completely spectacular, Rhys, but with Krol's mass and flying skill it would have been much faster. I know a peregrine falcon can reach about 300 kph in a controlled dive and Krol would be faster still."

"Heebie-jeebs! Over 300! What did it look like, Kieran?"

"I don't know. I was totally concentrated on the Pearl till after we leveled out ... Join up everyone. It's protection time."

The curious little procession of five friends with linked arms, and a giant Griffin resting his beak carefully on Kieran's shoulder, made its way forward with the destination image fixed firmly in their minds till the Opal flared into protective life and everything dissolved into a morass of disturbed reality.

Kieran checked how everyone coped while they trudged quietly towards the verdant growth where the Panthers were now on their feet waiting and felt proud at the way they all fought to dispel the disorientation and misery.

"Oh Boy! That's the most fun I've had since last time. How soon can we do it again?"

"As soon as we stock up with water and get organised, Rhys. We’ve got a long way to go once we’re in Dead World."

"We’re not going anywhere for at least another three hours. I don’t care what you say. Kieran, you didn't have one bit of sleep last night and you can't keep yourself going with energy boosts. Well, you can I suppose, but Ranevargar said not to. How long will his shields last?"

"I can't be exact, Woorawa, because it depends how strongly Maynor keeps attacking them, but the energy pool I gave him should last for twelve or thirteen days."

"And how long to get to ... Maurice?"

"I tried to work that out while we were racing on the Panthers and I reckon it’ll be five days if we stop to camp each night."

"That gives us six days up our sleeve at least, Kieran ... Of course we’re going to camp at night."

"I suppose we can. I don't like Ranevargar being a prisoner for all that time though."

"Of course not, but these packs are heavy and we won't make it if we’re not sensible. If Ranevargar was here I am sure he’d tell us to have long days of hiking but then a proper rest every night."

Kieran had to smile.

"Yeah. He did, and he said six days but that's too long."

Woorawa nodded thoughtfully.

"I've got it planned in my mind. We’ll start every morning as soon as it's light enough to see and try for at least twelve hours of walking."

Mr B interrupted.

"Wait till we get there before we plan too much, Woorawa. There won't be any convenient animal tracks to follow this time."

"And there's no vegetation either. It's like a moonscape."

Talk stopped because they’d reached the Panthers. Ten minutes later they were deep, deep, deeply asleep.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 12
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dang, and I thought Maynor might be tougher, but it was good he was distracted.  For a wild moment, I thought it would be cool if Kieran also snatched his ring....or is that 'Ring'?  Maynor--Mordor?  Subconscious link, dear Author?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Well they completed their first mission and are making plans for the next.  Maurice? Really?

Now the true test, will Kieran be able to use his animal / nature talents to calm the bea...Maurice? 😂

Also, interesting that even though introduced to the Pearl before, it seems as if the Pearl was ready to jump to friendly hands. It seems innocuous but is it? Even if the Pearl senses purity would it normally jump so freely; granted the current possession was a motivator. But even Ranevarger had been surprised before at how willing the Pearl was to allow Kieran access, now the present thoughts of Ranevarger confirm that maybe the High King was possibly trying to protect his Pearl for him... How much of this Lord/King powers should one so young (elf standards) have and when exactly should they come into those higher powers when not recognized or seated as a lord/king?

Likewise, Kieran has only his adopted Realm and his human friends for support. Where are the lords/King? We only know the location and activities of two; hmm. Curious...

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Now the true test, will Kieran be able to use his animal / nature talents to calm the bea...Maurice? 😂

Also, interesting that even though introduced to the Pearl before, it seems as if the Pearl was ready to jump to friendly hands. It seems innocuous but is it? Even if the Pearl senses purity would it normally jump so freely; granted the current possession was a motivator. But even Ranevarger had been surprised before at how willing the Pearl was to allow Kieran access, now the present thoughts of Ranevarger confirm that maybe the High King was possibly trying to protect his Pearl for him... How much of this Lord/King powers should one so young (elf standards) have and when exactly should they come into those higher powers when not recognized or seated as a lord/king?

Likewise, Kieran has only his adopted Realm and his human friends for support. Where are the lords/King? We only know the location and activities of two; hmm. Curious...

Ranevargar seemed confidant that he'd instructed Kieran enough for a successful calming, so lets hope he's right - he's been very canny about lots of stuff so far so why should he be mistaken this time -Hmm!

Erasing all his memories of Kieran and Co leaves Ranevargar with a very scant base of information to figure what's going on with his Pearl - and he was already puzzled about K's ability with access when he had all the facts.

Uirebon, the Lore Master, has retired to a sanctum in his own Realm to try and clear his mind of Maynor's influence. The High King is in the High Realm preparing his defenses against Maynor's Challenge - and we know hardly anything about Lady Narello, the remaining Realm Ruler.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

 

1 hour ago, Palantir said:

Oh my! I sure didn't expect anyone to know a quote about 'Maurice'.

I had to look up Steve Miller - pardon my ignorance - and then I didn't have a clue what 'pompatus of love' meant. (Evidently Miller said it means whatever you want it to mean, which is a neat way use lyrics. :) ) SO - don't you worry baby - Rhys is right here, right here!

 

LOL, and the title of the song claiming Maurice Is what some people call him is...THE JOKER! The easy acceptance of life altering events, lighter intensity of something when focused on calming Kieran, it just seemed to also say Rhys to me.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Calling the dragon Maurice is a great way of building protection against fear in their minds. If they keep thinking and talking about the huge dragon-like construct they'll feel they cannot win against it. Going up against Maurice is much easier to do. :lol: 

I wasn't surprised at the ease of the Pearl nabbing. The difficult part is keeping it concealed and rescuing Ranevargar.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/1/2019 at 3:04 PM, Timothy M. said:

Calling the dragon Maurice is a great way of building protection against fear in their minds. If they keep thinking and talking about the huge dragon-like construct they'll feel they cannot win against it. Going up against Maurice is much easier to do. :lol: 

I wasn't surprised at the ease of the Pearl nabbing. The difficult part is keeping it concealed and rescuing Ranevargar.

Maurice 😂

The Rescue 😱

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, Dathi said:

Maurice, Maurice!!  You called a Dragon; Maurice?  Belief is beggared, how much less Dragon like I could not think of.  Whilst the current parlance tend to retrieve the image of an old Morrie Minor or the such, Draconic it certainly does not sound.  Falstaff or Fistandantalus are certainly nearer the mark but no, we get Maurice. Well done, an awesome chapter, as usual.  Thank you for sharing you story.

Oh My! Sometimes the comments are better than the story. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 7/2/2019 at 6:04 AM, Timothy M. said:

Calling the dragon Maurice is a great way of building protection against fear in their minds. If they keep thinking and talking about the huge dragon-like construct they'll feel they cannot win against it. Going up against Maurice is much easier to do. :lol: 

I wasn't surprised at the ease of the Pearl nabbing. The difficult part is keeping it concealed and rescuing Ranevargar.

Hey! Neat idea - wish i'd thought of it. :)

Yes, a real problem - but I think Ranevargar might come up with some ways to keep Maynor guessing, after all he, can do nothing but think.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Old fool doesn't know he was hoodwinked, and the Pearl is safe.  Love Maurice for the dragon.

Lol - poor old Maynor (cough! Cough!) - I wonder what he'll try next? Hmm!

  • Like 3
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Palantir said:

Lol - poor old Maynor (cough! Cough!) - I wonder what he'll try next? Hmm!

As sadistic as Maynor is, it would serve him to overload and explode inside his helmet!

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Palantir said:

Hey! Neat idea - wish i'd thought of it. :)

You can still work it into the story, if you want. I'm sure Mr B can come up with a clever remark on the topic. ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..