Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 6,814 Words
  • 1,946 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 46. Chapter 46

Chapter 46.

Rhys looked from Maurice’s back, further, and further, and then as far as he could, to see where the enormous gathering of creatures finished. They didn't, and the enormity of the scene, coupled with the atmosphere of uncanny, expectant silence, set his heart racing, while his body stilled in a strange communion with the motionless horde. Tan grasped his hand and Mr B and Woorawa immediately pressed close and did the same, in Kieran's well-established support pattern for confronting dubious situations or sharing an energy boost. Rhys shivered with the strength of the bond then realising something wasn't quite right, called a silent invitation.

"Ranevargar."

Ranevargar smiled happily and literally jumped to join the group and cover the little totem pole of hands with his own. His smile broadened and, with a nod which Rhys would never forget, returned his own gesture of inclusion. His green signature glow, softer than usual, outlined his body then flowed to surround the friends. A thank you feeling came with it which made everyone smile.

When one hand moved to indicate Maurice the glow flowed to him and the gratitude strengthened. Krol's head lifted when Ranevargar's hand directed the flow of glow, and happiness joined with gratitude. With a new smile Ranevargar touched the place where he kept the pouch with his Pearl and gestured to all the other Griffins. The Panthers were next, then a mob, including George, of about thirty horses. The glow enveloped each new group like a softly rising mist, and with each new group came a variation of happiness or gratitude. When Rhys, almost overwhelmed, thought they should all be part of this, an image popped into his mind of Kieran washing in warm water, with a happy smile and a swirl of soft green in front of his eyes.

"I am part of it, Rhys. Ranevargar’s making sure of that and I’ll be with you for the walk-through."

Rhys's attention returned to the green mist building around the host of creatures massed as far as his eyes could see. Ranevargar gestured again, this time to the Realm Trees which blurred softly, with more green mist glowing eerily round every leaf and branch. Even the trees were thanking them? The glowing tree mist settled lower then flowed down the great trunk to join the general glow and share a new sense of beneficence.

Ranevargar, joyous and radiant, waved broadly to the tree tops. For a brief moment Rhys thought Ranevargar must have magicked them with strange new life, but then the blur of moving vegetation took flight and revealed itself as a monstrous flock of silently wheeling white birds. Another flock, equally monstrous, joined from the side, then another and another. In the light from the sinking sun patterns between white and dark shifted and shimmered with every swirl of movement, then in a stunning moment changed to the living glow of Ranevargar's green. The massive flock veered abruptly and Rhys watched as the ribbons of movement disappeared behind the Realm Trees.

Ranevargar nodded his raised head and the sky filled again, this time with myriads of tiny birds, already glowing.

Ranevargar's soft mental voice broke the spell of the surrounding silence.

"Flower and nectar birds, Mr B. We rarely see them because they live in the canopy."

"How can there be so many?"

Tans question was an expression of wonder.

"The big flocks are still to come, Tan. This is the greatest gathering my Realm has ever seen."

"Big? There won't be enough room in the sky."

"They display for us till Kieran returns."

Kieran's voice, soft with wonder, interrupted.

"I am rushing, Ranevargar. Another ten minutes and I’ll be with you, but share the view through Maurice’s eyes. It's ... I haven't got any words for it."

The little birds cleared the sky, merging with the foliage and, ever so high above, a bank of glistening cloud rolled closer and closer. Maurice’s eyes focused and the cloud was no longer a cloud.

Four physical gasps joined Kieran's mental one as new clarity showed the reality. The leading edge plunged downward and like a waterfall in the sky the main bulk flowed to follow. The vast mass moved lower, casting a shadow over the assemblage and deepening it to an eerie twilight before the mist of green turned dimness to soft radiance. Like a film show in reverse, the mass of birds, wading birds Rhys realised, now flowed skyward. The soft afternoon light returned and with it a jolt to their joined hands and a great smile as Woorawa indicated Kieran rushing towards them.

"He’s glowing!"

"Everything’s glowing, Rhys, including us."

"I know, but it's green and I’m used to blue. He stands out like he’s got a spotlight on him."

With every eye that could see him watching, Kieran scrambled quickly up Maurice’s back and, after giving Rhys an excited whack in the ribs, joined his hands to the top of the pile. Rhys’s eyes lit up but any response was forestalled when Ranevargar withdrew the hand that Kieran had covered and, in front of the great gathering, knelt on one knee and raised his arms in benison.

"Friends of the Realm, receive our thanks."

Rhys, Mr B, tan and Woorawa all looked for Kieran's lead in how to respond but all he did was look happy and cast his view over the gathering.

A deep, soft, rumble of sound intruded on the silence, pervading the senses with a strange stimulation. The rumble intensified, then amplified. Rhys, thinking the whole world was shaking with an earthquake instinctively grabbed Kieran to hold him close ... What? ... He was smiling? Maurice’s head twisted so golden eyes could regard them. His jaws opened and the rumble strengthened then, with a swing of his head, projected across the watching host. Two hundred Griffins broke their silence with a loud scream of triumph and adulation. Panther Guardians raised their heads and their roar, expressing challenge overcome and vast appreciation, quivered the friends to the core. They staggered under the tsunami of sound and emotion now flooding from the whole gathering.

Mr B, tears streaming from his eyes, took Tan and Woorawa's hands and lifted them high and Rhys and Kieran instantly joined them for a group acknowledgement.

Ranevargar gestured now and green glow flowed from all directions to gather in a sphere of radiance which then floated to enclose the friends, flash with power and light, then absorb into their bodies. The sound subsided to a background roar while Ranevargar gave each of them a formal double wrist clasp and a gigantic hug.

"Walk with me a while, friends. Your day has been long and after eating we will sleep long and well."

"Sleep? ... With all this happening?"

"Yes, Rhys. Your energy boosts have sustained us through great extremity but our inner reserves must have natural replenishment."

Ranevargar led the way down Maurice’s back and headed toward Krol and the ranks of Griffins.

"When will we get the time to understand everything, Kieran?"

"We’ll have a good talk tomorrow morning before our trip with the Panthers, but Ranevargar’s right, Rhys. We've pushed non-stop for more than six days and your energy boosts hide how wrecked we really are. Ranevargar’s got so much to talk about we’d be awake all night but he says our recovery’s a bigger priority."

Maurice broke into Rhys's mind.

"The Maker is particularly concerned that Kieran’s extraordinary efforts of mind will compound with all the physical efforts. We can talk while Kieran sleeps if you wish."

"I heard that, Maurice, and no one’s staying awake. I'm giving one of my sleep commands."

Woorawa laughed.

"You’re outclassed, Rhys. Overwhelmed by the big guns."

"Yeah! … More waiting."

"It's not really waiting. Kieran's sleep command makes the time pass in a blink."

Rhys wasn't listening. He rushed to greet Krol then watched as every Griffin sought the opportunity to gently touch its beak against Kieran's chest.

The Panthers were next, fifty or sixty of them gathered regal and proud while Gryl initiated a pattern of practically licking everyone's face off.

Ranevargar led the way, till the sunlight waned, through group after group of different creatures which all acknowledged Kieran, and then the rest of the friends, in some distinctive way. Flock after flock, wheeling overhead and filling the sky with sound this time as well as pattern, added to the unforgettable reception. George, in the company of twenty or thirty other horses, greeted Rhys with a happily wiffling sound then turned to Kieran.

On the way back a noisy chitter-chatter delayed their progress when several hundred Joker birds descended to perch on heads, shoulders, arms, and the backs of nearby plains grazers. Woorawa and Rhys, smiling at their clownish bobbing, laughed outright at the sight of three of them friskily tugging at Ranevargar's hair.

When they neared the waiting hosts, Maurice’s golden eyes bathed them with a sense of joyful inclusion, a far cry from the customary unfathomable pools, and it all became too much for Mr B. He grasped Ranevargar's hand, knelt on one knee, then lowered his forehead to rest a moment against the fingers he was holding.

"Lord Ranevargar, my heart is overwhelmed with joy and beauty."

Kieran shivered at the wave of empathy and understanding from Woorawa, Tan and Rhys, then watched with quiet awe as Ranevargar reversed the positions, tugging Mr B to his feet then kneeling to rest his own forehead against Mr B's fingers.

***

Kieran studied Rhys's features, relaxed so peacefully against the luxurious fur covering the soft feather filled sleeping base, and marvelled at the providence that brought them together. Providence? How strange that Maynor's selfish machinations could bring such a gift. Kieran sent a thought to dim the bio-luminous blossoms, smiling at Rhys's earlier reaction when Ranevargar showed them how, and moved quietly through the narrow walkway grown to connect with the next sleeping area.

"Mr B! Wake up!"

Mr B resisted the call to wakefulness. Relaxed so completely by the comfort, the demands of his body for recovery, and the lingering imperative of the sleep command, it took Kieran several minutes of gentle insistence before he sat up with full awareness.

"... Kieran?... It’s still dark. What is happening?"

"We need to talk, Mr B. Things are very complicated."

***

Rhys woke, wriggled clear of the covers and, trying not to disturb Kieran, climbed carefully over him and made an urgent rush to the curious little toilet alcove. Whoo! Too much of that nectar drink last night. What time was it? ... Lots of light streaming through the entrance vines ... It must be well into morning. Kieran looked so peaceful he might sleep for ages. Cuddling next to him would be nice ... No, that might wake him up and after Maurice’s admonishment about how sleep was extra important that mustn't happen. Hey, wow! There were his Melbourne clothes, all clean and folded, just inside the entrance. Someone had sneaked them in.

"Rhys, you have woken early."

"Yo, Maurice. I didn't have a choice. Did you have a good sleep too? ... What’s so funny?"

"After 600 years of sleep I hardly need more."

"You stayed awake? ... Do you even go to sleep? Krol and Gryl do."

"The physical portion of their bodies demands it. I will rest any part of me if it becomes over-taxed."

"Are the others showing any signs of waking up? Kieran looks like he’ll be out of it for ages."

"... No signs at all and the Maker doesn't want them disturbed in any way, especially Kieran."

"Ranevargar’s awake?"

"Yes, Rhys, but only just. He is making arrangements in preparation for your busy day. But partake of some food then keep me company for a while."

"Partake? ... Why does everyone in the Realms sound like a walking dictionary? I thought it was just Ranevargar, but you’re the same, and so was the High King."

Rhys thought he felt a whisper of sensation in his mind.

"My own vocabulary emulates that of the Maker, Rhys, but I suspect the formality of the Courts and the extended Elven lifespans are probably factors."

"You mean they live so long they can't help learning lots of words?"

"Hmm! Your succinct exposition demonstrates the differences in our speech patterns quite pointedly."

"You’re an idiot, Maurice! I know when you’re taking the Mickey out of me."

"And I know that being insulted and accused of extracting some hidden persona, is in fact an expression of friendship."

Rhys, having moved to the shelter where a range of food was waiting, was now preoccupied with making his choices. Honey bread was the best.

"Yum! It's a pity you don't eat, Maurice. You miss out on all these delicious tastes."

"No I don't. The honey bread tingles with sweetness and every bite insists another be taken."

"? ... What are you talking about? You told me you only eat power."

"And so I do, but by courtesy of your generous permission I share the sensation and taste of food through you."

"Hey! That's kind of weird, like eating without eating. What happens when the five of us are eating different food at the same time? Do the tastes all mix together?"

"Yes and no, Rhys. I would say it is much the same as listening to a group of people talking. You can hear them all but for your own reasons, such as interest or need, you focus on the message coming from one individual at a time."

Rhys laughed.

"So when Woorawa drools over those yellow fruit things he gives off thought vibes that catch your attention?"

"Precisely, though your own vibes for honey bread are even more striking."

"... What? ... Don't tell him that or I won't be able to call him a greedy guts anymore."

"I am quite certain you will continue the practice regardless of anything I might say."

Before heading through the vines Rhys reduced his cache of honey bread from four to two, hesitated a moment to add one of the yellow fruits, then pretended he didn't hear the soft little whisper of ‘greedy guts’ in the back of his mind.

His eyes adjusted to the brighter morning light. Good grief! Except for Maurice, the animals were all gone.

"Yes, Rhys. The Griffins have returned to their mountain homes for the day and the Panthers are shepherding the other animals to their customary feeding places."

Rhys made his way to the great form crouching motionless on the edge of the plain.

"You look like a giant statue shining in the sunlight when you keep so still."

"My body may be still but my mind is fully challenged, Rhys, and has been all night."

"All night? Were you planning stuff with Ranevargar?"

"The Maker slept as deeply as you did, Rhys. I spent some of the time pondering and refreshing the knowledge and abilities the Maker restored, and a great deal more consolidating the foundations for Kieran's Realm."

"What exactly does that mean? It can't really all be his can it?"

"To all intents and purpose it is, Rhys. His mysterious Opal bestowed the Stewardship beyond any questioning."

"Is a Steward different to a Realm Ruler?"

"It would surprise me if Kieran viewed his Realm in the manner of Maynor, Rhys, but that would be his choice."

"No way! I wouldn't let him. He’ll copy Ranevargar's way because it's the best."

"You wouldn't let him? ... Isn't that rather hasty? None of you have more than a passing experience of any Realm other than Dead World and this one."

Rhys laughed.

"Imagine trying to force Kieran against his will."

"That is still possible, Rhys, even for me, though the consequences don't bear thinking about."

Rhys was amazed.

"No way! He beat you fair and square in the Challenge when you woke up didn't he?"

"The Challenge followed a strict order where the Maker had guided his mastery of every step. He has learnt many new things since then but in many ways Kieran is still a novice when compared to other Realm Lords. Without the merge with the Maker he would have been very vulnerable."

"Yes, they did explain that, but wouldn't his special mind shield protect him?"

Rhys carefully placed his remaining pieces of food on the ground, slapped himself on the cheeks quite, quite gently, five or six times, then proceeded to alternate between kissing Maurice’s massive leg and passionately moaning how he loved him so much he wanted to hold him forever. After four or five repeats he abruptly realised what he was doing.

"Stop! Stop! ... This is weird."

"And very pleasant, Rhys. I didn't suspect you were such an ardent admirer."

Rhys stopped the peculiar behaviour and felt like himself again, well, a rather stunned self.

"Holy hell! That was bizarre! You could do that to Kieran? ... Hey! What did you mean about a suspicion? I do admire you but … ardent?"

"I'm sure I could, Rhys, though there are aspects about Kieran's mind which would make me very wary of any such attempt."

Rhys loved hearing this.

"What sort of aspects?"

"His response can be both unexpected and overwhelming."

"Like when he called the white energy and nearly cooked you?"

"Precisely."

"You should try this stuff, but tell him first, Maurice, so he can learn about it."

"The Maker has plans to work closely with Kieran on many matters."

"What about the Portal system? Is that one of them?"

"I know with certainty that it is one of their highest priorities. The Maker has already visited the Oasis Grove to check his Realm Tree systems."

"What? He couldn't have. You said he’s only just woken up."

"It was practically the first thing he did."

"Wow! That’s a big change then. He used to wait for half an hour or more while he recovered enough."

"That change is your doing, Rhys. You healed him, and Kieran poured energy into his reserves."

"Hang on! The portal system’s meant to be broken?"

"The general system is. The Realm Trees are the Maker’s unique energy saving innovation, and function quite independently."

Rhys quite liked the idea that the other Realms were stuck with slow transport, then had an idea for Woorawa.

"We might be able to take Woorawa to the Ocean Grove again. He raved about the Dolphin Guardians and the islands just about every day in Dead World."

"I will take you all this afternoon if time permits. I would like to see the ocean too."

Rhys's jaw dropped.

"You know how to portal?"

The surroundings blurred and Rhys stared at familiar sparkling Oasis waters.

"Yes, Rhys. If the Maker's plans had worked all those centuries ago it would have been my preferred way of travel."

"Why? Isn't flying more exciting?"

"It is, but the energy required for each launch, as well as the time factor, makes it quite impractical."

"You could use launching platforms like the Griffins?"

"Indeed, and I will establish many."

Rhys moved towards the Oasis but with another blur the surroundings resolved to the Central Grove.

"Hey! That was too quick. I was going to check the water."

"It was a practical test for my knowledge, Rhys, and most satisfactory, but the Maker informed me that Woorawa and Tan are awake."

"Well, about time!"

"Will I inform them that despite the predations of a certain greedy guts, enough food remains for their breakfast?"

"No way! Tell them they have to suffer while they wait for Kieran and Mr B to wake up."

"Hmm! The message surprises me enough to pass it word for word ... I see ... Woorawa says that means you are awake and there is probably no honey-bread left."

"Typical! They’ll be out here soon ... Why is our day going to be busy? Kieran said we’re having a big talk but that won't last the whole day."

"Have you forgotten the Panther ride? That will be extensive."

"Extensive?"

"Into the Grove with the Panthers, Rhys. This Central Grove can only be described as extensive ... Ah, here come Woorawa and Tan."

They were too, and Rhys grinned as he thought of a good greeting.

"When they get here do the kiss you and love you thing. It’ll be a good experience for them."

"Are you sure? You continue to surprise me, Rhys."

Woorawa, holding two of the yellow fruits, gave Rhys a morning greeting then, with Tan, watched in astonishment as Rhys whacked himself five times on the cheek then repeatedly kissed Maurice's leg and proclaimed undying love for him.

"... You idiot, Maurice. I meant them, not me."

"Hey, Rhys? Did you get enough sleep?"

Curses, everyone was too clever. Tan had just spoilt the whole slug-a-bed opening.

"That was meant to be you but Maurice had a brain fade."

"You did say it would be a good experience for them, Rhys, and apart from a moment of concern it's clear they thoroughly enjoyed it."

Woorawa popped one of the yellow fruit into his mouth and Tan gave a please explain look.

"Maurice has got all sorts of new abilities and he was showing me how Kieran might be vulnerable to other Realm Lords. He can portal the same as Ranevargar and Kieran too, and we just went to the Oasis Grove."

"… Yes, Tan. It is possible to portal, but only with the Realm Tree system."

"If we get the chance this afternoon Maurice is going to take us to see the Dolphin Guardians."

Woorawa's eyes lit up.

"Where’s Ranevargar? Is he still asleep? We thought he’d be here."

"Greetings, friends. Gryl approaches and I will join you when he arrives."

"Ranevargar! Did you have a good sleep... And is Kieran all right? He’s sleeping like a log."

"All is well with him, Woorawa, though he will sleep deeply for almost another hour."

"You know when he’s going to wake up?"

"Yes, Tan. He happily accepted my offer to hold him in a deeply restorative sleep."

Rhys sent his strong approval.

"Neat! Is it better than his own sleep command?"

"Very similar, Rhys, but with refinements."

"Did you do the same to Mr B?"

"No, but his mind is stirring so he will be with you soon."

Rhys followed the sudden sweep of Maurice’s head to the open plain and fixed on the rush of movement.

"Whoo! Look at them go! … Are they racing?"

"Indeed they are, Rhys. They are excited and extremely pleased to be spending the day with you."

Smiles took over as they watched the racing approach.

"The whole day?"

Rhys answered.

"They’re taking us on a trip into the Grove for some reason, Tan, like Kieran said."

The meeting with Gryl and eleven other Panthers was tumultuous.

***

Kieran, wide awake and feeling particularly alert after his prolonged sleep, didn't even try to restrain his smile at the curious setup of this important gathering. Ranevargar was relaxed against Maurice’s leg, Gryl was crouched close with Rhys sitting on his back and Woorawa and Tan against his side, while Mr B was leaning against the side of Maurice’s grounded head. Ranged in a comfortable spread, the rest of the Panthers watched quietly like some kind of relaxed guard.

"Well, I slept longer than I expected, but we finally get to have our big powwow about everything that happened yesterday. The first thing to clear up is the portal situation. We already know it’s seriously bad but Ranevargar’s hopeful we might be able to work something out."

"To take us home?"

"Yes, Tan. It won't be the big portal system because that’s going to take more than a year to recover, but he suspects there might be other ways we could use."

All eyes turned to Ranevargar.

"I currently have more knowledge of portals than anyone in the realms, Tan, but there are vast stores of ancient knowledge tucked away in the study centres of Lord Uirebon's Realm and we have tasked him to a major search for anything that might help."

"He’s already looking?"

"Not personally, because he’s assisting Aglaron, but he has sent word to every Centre in his Realm, making it a first order task."

"First order? ... for his whole realm?"

"Yes, Rhys. We impressed its importance on him yesterday and he commanded it even before we left the High Castle. He is eager to help in any way possible, as well is being intrigued in his own right."

"Do you think there’s much hope of finding another way?"

"I do have hope, Mr B. Certainty is very low indeed, but Kieran and his Opal have a habit of surprising us and may well do so again."

Tan broke in.

"That makes a lot of sense to me. Kieran and the Opal brought us here without any help so they should be able to go the other way. Why don't we go back to Maynor's Emperor trees where we arrived and Kieran can learn that as a focus like he does for proper Realm Trees. Home in Melbourne must be strong enough in his mind for the other focus."

Ranevargar's approval washed through everyone.

"I have pondered that possibility, Tan, and it is certainly worth trying."

Tan's head lifted.

"There’s a strong but isn't there?"

"I am afraid so. Kieran did seize it for himself but that transfer used the damaged system and can't be repeated till it is functioning again."

"The Realm Tree portals are independent. Could you build something the same only bigger?"

"I have re-established enough of my lost knowledge to let me build new portals, Rhys, but only within my own Realm. When Kieran is proficient I hope we can work together to extend the range between Realms."

Kieran boggled, along with everyone else.

"Me? Build my own Tree portal?"

"Yes Kieran, you certainly have the ability and it may well be a necessary skill for a return to the Human world."

"There aren't any Realm Trees at home."

"One step at a time, Rhys."

Tan linked arms with Woorawa.

"Woorawa’s got one."

Woorawa squeezed the link.

"We’d have to get it home first, Tan, but I don't see how we can plant it. I think it will be better to give it to Kieran for his new Realm."

Kieran was shocked.

"No way, Woorawa. It's a special gift."

"I know, Kieran, but I’ve been thinking about it a lot. Imagine what would happen if a 300 m high tree grew in the desert. You couldn't hide it and scientists and tourists from all over world would converge on it. And doesn't it need power like yours, and those Tree Managers to help it grow properly?"

He turned to Ranevargar.

"I feel guilty, Ranevargar, because you said it’s for my people. You see what I mean don't you? We could keep it as a seed but that's wasting all its potential."

Ranevargar pointed one finger at Woorawa for several seconds before speaking, very formally, into everyone's silent curiosity.

"What I see, Woorawa of the Ancient People, is wisdom.

What I see, Dark Child, is a mantle of stewardship for your people and your friends."

He relaxed and smiled at Woorawa's dumbfounded expression.

"I think your years of darkness allow you to see things clearly, young Woorawa, but Kieran accepts the spirit of your gift and no more."

Feeling a bit left behind, Kieran nodded the agreement Ranevargar was clearly expecting.

"Kieran doesn't need it, Woorawa, and there will be ways to address any concerns you have about its planting."

"You couldn't hide it, Ranevargar, not when it gets that high."

"A Tree Manager can direct its growth in any way Woorawa wishes, Rhys."

Rhys looked at the nearby giant bole.

"All that? Where would it go? ... Sideways?"

Tan got all enthusiastic at that idea.

"It could grow like a Banyan tree. I’ve read about big ones with hundreds of trunks."

"A tree with more than one trunk?"

"Yes, Woorawa, they’re all connected. The tree sends an aerial root to the ground and it grows till it’s like a new trunk ... Could the Manager do that?"

"With no trouble at all, Tan."

Rhys had another look at the Realm Trees.

"It could spread for hundreds of metres in every direction with all that mass, but what about power to help it grow? Could Kieran give it some?"

Kieran got excited now.

"Of course I could, but I won't need to. Woorawa has already got tons."

"I have? ... What do you mean?"

"The rubies in your pocket. You can keep one. That should be plenty ... Shouldn't it?"

Ranevargar smiled.

"Plenty indeed, Kieran. Enough to stimulate the early growth of hundreds of trees in fact, but you have a misconception that all Realm Trees need power. In fact they grow naturally and produce their own power. I designed them that way, and they only need external power when they are managed for special purposes."

Woorawa touched the pocket with the rubies.

"A Ruby’s no good to me, Kieran. How would I use it?"

"Easy! We just make it automatic, like the reserve for your shield ... Does that stimulation have much effect, Ranevargar?"

"An enormous effect, Kieran. With constancy and a good water supply you could effect decades of growth in a single year."

"Whoo, stop everyone! We were talking about how to portal home and we’ve got sidetracked to Realm Trees."

Ranevargar nodded.

"You’re right, Rhys, but they do relate. As I was saying, I consider the mastery of Realm Tree portals as Kieran's best foundation for any other method that might arise from Lord Uirebon's search, and skill with their growth is definitely part of that."

"Oh boy! That means a lot of heavy sessions for you and Kieran."

"Very heavy sessions, Rhys, across a broad range of topics."

Rhys nodded knowingly to everyone else.

"Hours and hours of Buddha stuff to strain his brain."

"Not just his, Rhys."

Rhys, about to commiserate with Ranevargar, suddenly realised the reference was to his own brain but Woorawa had something on his mind.

"I don't understand, Ranevargar. Surely the seed pod would help Kieran learn about growing Realm Trees?"

"It would, Woorawa, but he doesn't need yours when my Central Grove will supply as many as he would like."

"Lots of them?"

"Yes, Woorawa. Maurice has been readying the foundations for life in Kieran's realm but he is eager to return and proceed once he knows Kieran's vision."

Rhys was nodding because of his earlier talk with Maurice, but Woorawa Tan and Mr B had to take it in.

"Decide on a vision for the whole Realm? We’re here to help with that right now?"

Kieran jumped to his feet and spoke with great earnestness.

"I’m thinking we could make it basically like this Realm but with any changes we like."

Rhys jumped up to keep with Kieran.

"I think that's a great idea. Everything we’ve seen here is awesome."

Ranevargar smiled at the word.

"Thank you, Rhys, but my focus has primarily been to provide a sanctuary and I think you should consider other features."

"Like what?"

Tan spoke up.

"I don't know how much prejudice there is but what about making it a sanctuary for Widderkin elves? Kieran already made a big deal about that at the High council."

Kieran and Rhys looked at each other with big grins.

"Good thinking, Tan."

"Well, there aren't any towns here and that might need a big change if they’ve been living in Castles or towns, or on farms like the ones we saw near Maynor's Castle."

Kieran looked to see what everyone else was thinking.

"Hmm! Tan’s right, Ranevargar. Would it be hard to have different kinds of living areas like that?"

"You would need them anyway, Kieran, but how extensive they are is your real decision.

There are a variety of what you would call towns in this realm, Tan,. Living in Realm Trees doesn't suit everyone so there are alternatives. There are communities of artisans and crafters too."

"Artisans?"

"For the basic amenities, Woorawa, clothing, pottery ... Your carry packs and the saddlery we will be using today, for example."

Mr B looked very thoughtful.

"This will all be extremely complex, Ranevargar. How long before the Realm could be habitable? We didn't see even one plant the whole time we were there .... Let alone a Realm Tree ... And how big is it? The mountains kept going way into the distance."

Rhys got excited at this.

"Gods yeah! They looked enormous too ... And what about oceans? We hardly know anything."

Ranevargar raised an eyebrow in case Kieran wanted to answer.

"Yes, Rhys. The mountains, unique in size and extent, are called the Great Range, and there are oceans as well as vast plains. Compare the size of the new Realm with what you know of mine. The time needed to make it habitable depends on the resources available and the power Kieran can use to stimulate them."

Kieran nodded because Ranevargar had already given him a basic overview. Everyone else went silent while they processed this.

"What resources? There’s nothing there ... Except water from the storms."

"Ranevargar’s helping us, Rhys. Well, helping Maurice really because I haven't learnt enough yet, and tomorrow we’re going to the Realm with a whole lot of seeds for the area where we started to climb up to Maurice’is cavern."

"The pass with the riverbed?"

"A flood of water came down yesterday and when the weather’s properly organised it’ll be a permanent river ... Ranevargar, we can't do everything at once, so I think it makes sense to concentrate our efforts on getting that one main area really well established."

Rhys jabbed Kieran in the ribs.

"You’ve been planning stuff with Ranevargar without telling us again, Kieran. What does established mean?"

"... I can't do it myself yet, Rhys, but Ranevargar and Maurice can help things grow extra quickly."

"Like the little plant growing out of the table?"

"More a general application of power to ensure germination and optimum growth for the locations Kieran chooses, Tan, except for any Realm trees which will receive special attention."

Woorawa pounced on that.

"Kieran will need pods then?"

"Yes, Woorawa, and that is the purpose of our Grove trip today. There are almost eighty pods ready to collect."

Along with everyone else, Kieran stared at Ranevargar in disbelief.

"What? ..."

"Kieran, I now have the vigour to generate new pods, but until they are ready this is all I can offer. For the Realm structure you have been discussing that is barely a start."

"Eighty Realm Trees feels like a great number to me."

"Not at all, Mr B. Maurice has already discussed his need for a system of portal Groves with Rhys, and just ten outlying locations would require half of those pods. A three layer Grove near our mutual boundary would take another eleven, leaving a scant thirty for a Central Grove."

Woorawa looked to the nearby Realm Trees.

"There’s nothing scant about a Realm Tree."

Mr B had something to say.

"It depends how you look at them, Woorawa ... How many shelters can a Realm Tree have, Ranevargar?"

"It would be possible to grow dozens, Mr B, but in practice it is rarely more than four or five."

Mr B continued.

"See, Woorawa, thirty Realm Trees would be very limiting ... What's the population of your Realm, Ranevargar? Do you know how many hosts there are?"

"They’re in his Pearl network, Mr B. He knows exactly."

"If I counted them, Kieran ... There are thousands, Mr B, though not all are hosts. Along with the towns we discussed there are families, wardens, and a range of other individuals sharing this Central Grove."

"What’s the point of the three layer Grove, Ranevargar?"

"I plan to establish a new Grove close to Woorawa's waterfall, Mr B, to reduce the travel time to our mutual boundaries and an adjacent Grove in Kieran's Realm would be an invaluable help for Maurice's resource management."

Unexpectedly, Rhys thought that was funny.

"You could call it ... The Waterfall Grove ... Or even the Woorawa Grove."

Woorawa went all embarrassed and tried to change the subject when everyone showed their agreement.

"How long will it take before new Realm Trees can turn into portal trees?"

"Decades with normal growth, Woorawa, but with special attention a number of selected trees could be ready in nine or ten months."

"What about technology? Would that be part of your realm, Kieran?"

There was a collective gathering of thoughts at Tan’s return to the Realm vision discussion.

"What do you mean?"

Tan lifted his wrist and indicated his watch.

"Well, this definitely works, but we’ve never seen anything like it."

Every eye swivelled to Ranevargar who paused thoughtfully before answering.

"The successful functioning of the Realms relies on deep study of the mind, Tan, with years of training in the manipulation of Nexus power and other forms of power. Our extended lifespan is also related to focusing inward rather than outward to the physical world. For my own Realm I like to maximise the diversity and importance of living things. Discuss this with the other Realm Lords when they visit and you will see deep discomfort and disdain for the material path."

"Wow! That's kind of confronting, Ranevargar. I love parts of our technology, like computers and communication, but we don't manage it very well. Lots of our natural life is dying because of it."

Ranevargar frowned.

"There are sanctuaries provided, Woorawa, surely?"

Tan answered this time.

"There are, but lots of people think power and money is more important ... What about money, Kieran? Will you have that in your Realm?"

"Whoo! I haven't even thought of money since we got here, Tan. Do you use it, Ranevargar?"

There was an extended pause while Ranevargar accessed five sets of understandings.

"... Not really. It seems to be an accumulation of resources or even indirect power. I see from your own thoughts that you used it mainly to gain the food and shelter which is abundant and free here. For Maynor, and maybe Lady Narello, it would equate to the accumulation of power, for Uirebon the stores of knowledge. The High King would regarded as irrelevant."

Kieran turned to Tan.

"Well, if it's power I’m richer than anyone in the Realms."

"Hey, yeah! Imagine if you could swap your power for money at home. You’d be the richest student at College."

"There is no need to imagine it, Rhys. With the power Kieran commands he can have any resource he desires."

"Back in Melbourne? What's he going to do? Walk into a bank and zap the manager to give him money?"

Mr B shook his head.

"That's hardly ethical, Rhys ... Banks are a system for managing money, Ranevargar ... But remember when Kieran found every bit of glass in the room just by thinking about it, Rhys? He could do the same with precious things if he was in the right location."

"My God! You could go to an old goldfield and use your GPS thing to find nuggets."

Kieran gave a very wary answer.

"I suppose so, but it seems too easy, like I'd be cheating."

Mr B was forceful.

"Not at all, Kieran, and think how useful extra finances would be? Woorawa could fly home more frequently, and Tan’s car is your only transport."

Ranevargar's audible laugh came with a mental wash of amusement.

"Kieran, accumulation of such a resource is so minor a thing it is irrelevant. Turn your attention to the main purpose of this meeting."

Kieran wondered why it was funny till he saw Ranevargar's appreciation of how new this was and the leaps of understanding still ahead.

"We’ll all adapt, Ranevargar, but you’re right and we should move on.

Rhys knows a bit and so does Mr B, but the shock of seeing Aglaron's features and familiar mannerisms matching mine was a real jolt, and I wish I'd been able to prepare you more. I had some warning from watching Maynor's talks with Ranevargar but it was so confronting I couldn't accept it."

"We didn't believe it either, Kieran. We decided it was a weird mental projection to confuse us ... He really is your father?"

"Yes, Woorawa. Ranevargar's knowledge of Aglaron for over 1400 years didn't match with him arranging for my mind to be conditioned, and he only found out the full truth when he made a deep interrogation of Maynor."

Rhys released his proprietary grip on Kieran's arm and gave him a giant hug.

"Ranevargar told us you might be an elf that very first day but I don't care. You’re always Kieran to me.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great! All rested and ready to learn more about harnessing the pure white power. Perhaps Kieran, his Opal, and the Champions are the key to the unity of the realms. Looking forward to the Champions’ group think and problem solving in these newest of challenges.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Great! All rested and ready to learn more about harnessing the pure white power. Perhaps Kieran, his Opal, and the Champions are the key to the unity of the realms. Looking forward to the Champions’ group think and problem solving in these newest of challenges.

I totally agree with everything you said. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes from here and what Kieran will make his realm look like. I’m waiting for him to tell the others that Mr B. is the one he was in love with before Maynors interference and sending them to the outer world. So many possibilities for the champions as Philippe calls them.  Thank you for the great chapter in the continuing story of wonder and amazement.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Great! All rested and ready to learn more about harnessing the pure white power. Perhaps Kieran, his Opal, and the Champions are the key to the unity of the realms. Looking forward to the Champions’ group think and problem solving in these newest of challenges.

Not just the white power, Philippe. There are other problems, and maybe some surprises( :) ), ahead.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Butcher56 said:

I totally agree with everything you said. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes from here and what Kieran will make his realm look like. I’m waiting for him to tell the others that Mr B. is the one he was in love with before Maynors interference and sending them to the outer world. So many possibilities for the champions as Philippe calls them.  Thank you for the great chapter in the continuing story of wonder and amazement.

They surely do have a lot to talk about - and don't forget wise old Ranevargar - I'd be surprised if he doesn't inject many interesting ideas.

:) possibilities = infinity.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Organizing and establishing a realm is an immense task, one they are only getting an inkling of so far.

Yes, so immense it's mind boggling. I wonder how the task will be approached? (We'll find out soon.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Paper, pen, pattern and patience are required; lists of aims and goals with steps abounding all floundering for want of a sensible agenda and even marginal meeting protocol would make it more manageable, especially as this is supposed to be the opus magnus for Kieran so we need organisation to achieve greatness.  Rested and stained let the planning and calculating commence.  

Awesome chapter, thank you, I am having headaches just thinking about the task ahead of our intrepid journeymen and guides.  Very well done that man.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Kieran's Realm won't lack for creative thinkers to establish it, but just how minute do the details need to be?  Worms?  Bacteria in the soil?  Plankton in the oceans even before we get to larger creatures like Nessie?  I hope Ranevargar has some 'auto-remote' settings or something to do a lot of this work....

From my days of playing Dungeons & Dragons on paper and up to computer games like Civilization, a lot goes into world-building besides people and societies, but some comments indicate that Maurice will be the main controller of everything once the format is desired...

I don't know why but the idea of the realm being a refuge for widderkin didn't strike me until it was said--bleedin' obvious or what?  I blame it all on our host's creativity that wraps us up in wonder and we forget the 'real' world he has created for a time.  Yeah, that works for me!

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 11/6/2019 at 11:24 PM, Dathi said:

Paper, pen, pattern and patience are required; lists of aims and goals with steps abounding all floundering for want of a sensible agenda and even marginal meeting protocol would make it more manageable, especially as this is supposed to be the opus magnus for Kieran so we need organisation to achieve greatness.  Rested and stained let the planning and calculating commence.  

Awesome chapter, thank you, I am having headaches just thinking about the task ahead of our intrepid journeymen and guides.  Very well done that man.

 

Well, I'm furiously flabbergasted by the eloquence of these kindly continuing kiwi quotes. I've mulled mightily on the mentioned magnus with much paper and pen - the patience and pattern I leave to pattern-master Kieran.

:worship:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Kieran's Realm won't lack for creative thinkers to establish it, but just how minute do the details need to be?  Worms?  Bacteria in the soil?  Plankton in the oceans even before we get to larger creatures like Nessie?  I hope Ranevargar has some 'auto-remote' settings or something to do a lot of this work....

From my days of playing Dungeons & Dragons on paper and up to computer games like Civilization, a lot goes into world-building besides people and societies, but some comments indicate that Maurice will be the main controller of everything once the format is desired...

I don't know why but the idea of the realm being a refuge for widderkin didn't strike me until it was said--bleedin' obvious or what?  I blame it all on our host's creativity that wraps us up in wonder and we forget the 'real' world he has created for a time.  Yeah, that works for me!

 

'Creative thinkers' - I love this description and expect it will be very apt for the new Realm.

Whoo! - back to the drawing board - I forgot about the oceans (which definitely exist in the new Realm).

Maurice you say? - lol - you've applied great force to upper extremity of the proverbial nail. ⛏️ :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

After a victory always comes the really hard part; setting up and keeping society of whatever design going.  Such a truly interesting chapter; can't wait to see the next one.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

After a victory always comes the really hard part; setting up and keeping society of whatever design going.  Such a truly interesting chapter; can't wait to see the next one.

Yes, quite a bit was revealed. - more to come! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..