Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,186 Words
  • 1,719 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 49. Chapter 49

Chapter 49.

A light privacy ward surrounded the group, somewhat surprising the newly arrived Realm Lords.

"Thank you, Lord Ranevargar. The excitement of the journey and that unexpected descent was surpassed by the most unusual honour guard we have ever experienced.

And thank you, Kieran, I am eager to know your thoughts on matters of the Realms, and heartened by this opportunity for some time together."

A full round of double wrist clasps took place then, with the assurance of a detailed discussion later, Kieran gave an overview of some of his personal decisions. That done he dropped the privacy ward and deferred to Ranevargar, who gestured the three rulers to meet the companions.

"High King, this is Rhys, so aptly designated The Warrior. Without him Kieran would not have been able to manage Lord Maynor. I commend him to you and suggest you make a point of giving him your attention. Be warned, though, he is prone to well-natured irreverence."

Rhys almost protested but the High King was already offering the double wrist clasp.

"Rhys, I have been anticipating this meeting and I do look forward to any time we can share."

A firm double grip, along with an eyebrow lifted in an oh so familiar manner, sent assurance flowing through Rhys. Oh my God! He actually even felt like Kieran. The greeting he'd prepared was gone from his mind so, thoughts whirling, he gave a nod then wondered at the downward glance.

"An interesting companion, Rhys. Is this the irreverence Lord Ranevargar warns of?"

Wow! This guy’s personality was so strong. Rhys looked for Kieran's reaction but that was just his typical grin. With a new mental double-take he saw an older, more discreet version of the very same grin. Hm! Aglaron knew this was Ranevargar's doing and he was enjoying it. Ha!

"Ranevargar’s got a fixation for animals. He's the one being irreverent so you have to be ready for anything ... And I hope we get some time too."

Ranevargar blinked and the little pig disappeared.

"Greet Woorawa, High King. He met Kieran and Rhys under the strangest of circumstances and instantly befriended them. It was his people who gifted the Realm Stone."

The High King gave the clasp, spoke interestedly with Woorawa, did the same for Tan and Mr B, then stood quietly while Lord Uirebon and Lady Narello made their own greetings.

Ranevargar pointed past Maurice to the base of the mighty Realm Tree.

"My hosts will escort you for a restorative break then we will share some refreshments before we visit our new portal focus."

Uirebon's head lifted in query.

"Kieran established it yesterday as part of his search for an alternate way to the human world. We are hopeful your searches will help us."

"We have made significant headway with the early history of Kieran's Realm, but knowledge of the Portal system is proving elusive."

He obviously had more to say but the High King moved to accompany the waiting host elves.

Tan was disappointed.

"That didn't sound very hopeful, Kieran."

Ranevargar answered.

"This is as I expected, Tan, but have faith in the diligence and cooperation between Uirebon's scholars."

"Cooperation?"

"Yes, Woorawa. Every reference, however slight or seemingly inconsequential, will be shared and traced to its source. The process will be slow but I am quite confident that something will eventually turn up."

"What's with the piglet? You left it there."

"The High King was nervous about meeting you, Rhys, and a smile helped him."

"Nervous of me? You said yourself that he’s the strongest elf in all the Realms ... and there’s no way he’s scared of anyone."

"He is not scared of anyone, Rhys, but your bond with Kieran gives you a rather unique influence with the only person who does give him concern. He is delighted that you like him though."

"I do, too, but how would he know? Is he going into my mind?"

"Not without an invitation. He is a master at reading people, Rhys, and you are more open than most."

"Lady Narello didn't say much."

"Her mind is totally engaged, Mr B. She is keenly aware of how little she knows and hungers for information."

"They didn't react to the Panthers as much as I expected."

"It didn't show, but they were all exceeding impressed, Mr B, and the High King gave acknowledgement."

"It's pretty weird that this is the first time they’ve seen a Panther when you’ve had them for so many centuries?"

"They have all seen the Panthers, Rhys, but from afar, and until now they regarded them as just another in my interesting collection of animals and of little importance to their Realms."

"Until now?"

"Yes, Tan. Close association with the seven Griffins has changed their understanding."

Rhys looked to Krol, now crouching close to Maurice, and laughed.

"Riding a Griffin would change anyone's understanding."

"Indeed, Rhys, but the mental cooperation has been the new and significant experience."

"Will it be a problem for you if they understand too much, Ranevargar?"

"How so, Tan?"

"Well they mightn't leave you alone any more. What if they pester you to give them constructs or want to learn how to make their own?"

"Lord Uirebon, in particular, is already wondering how to approach me for all of that. I will be most cooperative."

"What does he want to learn?"

"Everything he doesn't understand, Tan, and while I will be able to help him with much there will be even more disappointment."

"I meant in particular."

"That is extensive. Foremost in his mind at the moment is great wonder regarding my constructs, Maurice in particular, and he was intrigued just now to hear that we have established a new Tree Portal."

"Ha! I bet they all are, now they can't zap themselves wherever they like."

"Will you show him how to make Tree Portals, Ranevargar?"

"That will be one of the disappointments, Mr B. I can teach him how to use an existing Tree Portal, but creating his own requires an ability he doesn't possess."

"Could he find someone somewhere in the Realms with enough ability to do it for him?"

"It is possible but rather unlikely, Mr B. "

"Unlikely hey! Trust Kieran to break all the rules. Uirebon will turn green when he finds out it was Kieran who made the new portal."

Woorawa laughed.

"Not really, Rhys. They’ve seen Kieran do all sorts of special stuff. This’ll be just one more ... What will you do if they ask you for their own Realm Trees, Ranevargar?"

"They already have them. You call them Emperor trees."

"Could they make them into proper Realm Trees?"

"Not at all, Woorawa. They can't develop Tree Managers, and the further change to Portal Trees is beyond them."

"Why do they even have the Emperor form then?"

"The Emperor form provides a natural focus for the main Portal system."

"So that’s why Maynor didn't take Rhys straight to his castle?"

"Indeed, Woorawa. He was at the end of his resources and took the path of least resistance."

"When will Uirebon be able to tell you what he’s discovered about Kieran's Realm, Ranevargar? He said it was significant."

"Yes, that has intrigued me. After demonstrating Kieran's new portal link we have several hours of relatively free time at the Oasis Grove for discussion and relaxation."

"Relaxation? That’s a joke! With those high-powered minds Kieran won't be able to relax for a second."

"Yes I will, Rhys. When we’ve had a good talk you’re going to tell me it is time for a swim and a relax."

"I will? ... Neat idea! I wonder if they’ll join in, or make it an opportunity to talk to Maurice?"

"Maurice will be enjoying the Oasis with us."

"Wow! I can't wait to see that. Does he even like water?"

"I will look to you to teach me the enjoyment I see so clearly in your mind, Rhys."

"You big lump! You’ll probably make the Oasis feel like it's all tidal waves."

Ranevargar pointed to Aglaron walking briskly to rejoin them.

"He didn't wait for the others?"

"His mind is focused on Kieran and he is eager to spend as much time as possible with him, Tan."

Rhys replied.

"Wow! The next few days are going to be interesting."

***

"Everyone? Without assistance?"

"Kieran continues to surprise, High King. The Realm Trees provide some assistance but he made this translation with his own resources."

Aglaron regarded the Realm Trees, the companions, a group of attendants, the Flying Guardian which evidently had some special association with Rhys, and dwarfing them all the curiously named Dragon construct, and knowing the amount of Nexus energy he would need for a similar translation, was sharing his wonder with Ranevargar.

"Kieran is driven to become a Portal Master, High King, for the sake of Woorawa and particularly Tan, who yearn for home and family, and his efforts have given him proficiency. When we visit his Realm you will see how he is establishing his own network of Tree Portals to help Maurice."

"His own Realm Trees, Ranevargar? I don't understand. Lord Uirebon advised me that Realm Trees are unique to your Realm and require a special type of attention which only you can give."

"Until Kieran arrived Uirebon was right. Tomorrow you will observe for yourself how his affinity with life manifests in the response all creatures in my Realm give him."

"Affinity for life? That is a family trait, strong in myself, and strong in the Royal Consort. Is it possible I could be trained to the care of Realm Trees?"

"Affinity, to some degree is almost universal, Lord Aglaron, and I have noted your pleasant rapport with my assigned Griffins. Ride my mind to understand what is needed."

Aglaron, thinking he was already linked, was surprised and then delighted when a strange and wondrous mental vista opened and drew him in. A new link firmed and he realised he was watching Ranevargar and himself from above. His elven eyes registered a group of the ubiquitous, amusing head-bobbing birds and locked on one in particular.

"This is curiously disconcerting, to be observing my own observation, Ranevargar, but this is a basic skill."

"Indeed. Watch."

An invitation flowed to the Joker bird’s mind. Joker birds? Rhys’s name for them? Blossoming eagerness for close association resulted in a swooping flight then pleasure to be perching on a raised wrist. Realisation came. The command he himself would have used had been replaced with an aura of welcome, an aura new to his experience, and one Ranevargar was expecting him to copy.

"I can’t do that. I have no basis to make a start."

Ranevargar's free hand rested against soft green feathers and Aglaron, sharing a mysterious flow of energy, watched feather-pigment transform to brilliant orange, then after a moment, return to green.

"Kieran radiates such an abundance of what your mind understands as an aura, that he actually represses it to reduce the attention it brings. And he is learning to use it rapidly."

"He always had a way with animals, but none of his mentors noted anything really unusual about it?"

"His Opal is more than a Realm Stone, much more, and I am hoping Uirebon's research will help us with understanding."

"The Opal has wrought the changes?"

"There is a definite association but the more I see the more puzzled I become. Tonight you will witness a power from beyond the Realms, a power which will hold you in thrall."

Wariness surged.

"What manner of power, Ranevargar? I am averse to having my mind bound in any way."

"Woorawa will dance."

Aglaron wondered momentarily if this might be an example of the irreverence ascribed to Rhys? No, Ranevargar’s thought was earnest.

"Whatever can you mean?"

"There is mystery, such as you have never known, expressed through the grace and power of his movement, My Lord. You will find yourself, as Rhys describes, spellbound."

A brief sense of Ranevargar's own reaction to Woorawa's dance came before he continued.

"My Lord, it is my belief that a mystery beyond our understanding entered Faerie with Kieran and his companions. Power rests with each of them in a guise appropriate to their nature."

"Do you mean the vast power which continually manifested in Kieran's Realm?"

"That is Kieran's doing. He worked with Maurice to speed the restoration of his Realm but, apart from the unimaginable quantities, that power has properties akin to our own Nexus. The other powers are different.

Woorawa walked through a barrier built by Maurice and froze three of Maynor's Fetches simply by singing.

Tan is even more disconcerting. At first, as you have experienced, I thought he had the power to call truth but now I know it is more than that.

Rhys had power even before he met Kieran but, in a passing moment, acquired a level of mind to mind speech which takes decades of training for our young to master."

"A passing moment? Surely there was something significant involved?"

"Yes. I was describing the rapidity of the event, but if I am correct the changes all occurred with Kieran's first summoning of that white power he demonstrated for you and Uirebon."

"Uirebon and I were shaken by its puissance and mystified as to its origin."

"As am I, High King, and the amount you saw him call for Maurice’s elevation pales against the torrents released for his Realm storms."

"You believe the white power confers abilities?"

"I do, but only on that singular occasion. I have been present many times when he has called it without experiencing anything except wonder."

"Lord Ranevargar, you do reveal wonder upon wonder but what of my son? He is clearly a wonder in his own right but this artificial persona has severed our blood-bond and the new mantle of power and responsibility makes him unreadable. Does he fare well?"

Ranevargar passed a rapid assurance to Kieran then built a privacy ward for himself and Aglaron.

"Kieran has entrusted me with the task of giving you assurance and enlightenment about all the complications of his situation and intentions."

Ranevargar acknowledged Aglaron's puzzlement.

"Yes, you would prefer to hear it personally from Kieran, and you will have many opportunities to do just that, but only I know the full story."

"Another puzzle?"

"No, the outcome of a particular decision Kieran wants you to know and hold private."

Aglaron gave instant agreement.

"High King, Kieran will live in the human world with Rhys till their time together comes to a natural end. He will then return to the Realms and, with certain provisos, resume his life as Keryth. In the meanwhile he will make visits according to his situation and the re-establishment of the Portal system."

Aglaron, understanding the time differential, was impressed. A full and happy century of life for Rhys translated to less than twenty-five years of Faerie time, a blink relatively.

"What provisos has he set?"

"Currently the removal of his persona would mean the loss of his deep bonds and all his Kieran memories. That is a loss he will not accept, but it is also a loss I am confident we can avoid by studying the conditioning process."

"You have that confidence when Maynor holds the knowledge and skill?"

"Kieran helped me gather Maynor's knowledge and, with Lord Uirebon's help, I believe we will find a way to assimilate a conditioned persona instead of losing it."

"Did you have this knowledge at the Council Meeting? It was by Kieran's command that Maynor cleared Lady Narello of all his manipulation."

"Some of it, High King, but the greater part was taken in that private discussion just before Maynor returned to his Realm."

"So that was its purpose? Uirebon and I wondered."

"There was more. We made it very clear that Maynor should hold to all the Council’s directives."

Ranevargar was pleased to see the High King’s instant recognition of a new element.

"Both of you? That was not apparent at the time."

"Your son wields great strength, High King, but he lacks knowledge, and it was my long experience as a Realm Lord that helped him counter Maynor and guide the Council."

There was a long pause.

"This explains many things, Ranevargar, but why the misdirection?"

"When the extent of Maynor's manipulation was first discovered there was no other course. We faced a strong probability that Kieran's standing would be rejected by the Council."

"Reject my own son? He ended the Challenge I was losing and restored a Realm."

"You ordered his conditioning."

"... Yes, I see ... For all you knew High Council could have become a scene of conflict."

"The potential was there, as evidenced by Lady Narello’s actions, but we were well prepared. Kieran had us uniquely shielded and Maurice was augmented and ready to intervene."

"The Dragon was augmented?"

"He is not invulnerable. Without Kieran's assistance the breaching of Maynor's Wards would have destroyed him."

Aglaron paused for thought once again.

"Lord Ranevargar, I am fully thankful for everything you have done but this indicates it was your will and wisdom directing the higher Council and, I suspect, guiding Kieran's actions.

It also confirms Lord Uirebon's recent conjecture that you have been hiding knowledge and wisdom behind a mask of age and failing strength. Now you reveal yourself?"

"Yes, High King. Kieran and I discussed this at great length and we are persuaded that you will respect my wish for isolation and apparent disregard for matters outside my Realm."

"Persuaded has a curious force to it?"

"Yes, a consequence of the very powers we have been discussing. Kieran and I didn't see it ourselves, but Maurice recognised its unusual nature and carefully observed the detail of Tan's interaction with you three Realm Rulers. We regard your willing promise of respect and friendship as a truth calling, and more than enough reason to give you trust."

"Lord Ranevargar, not only will I respect your wish, I will subtly cultivate it throughout the Realms. I am puzzled at how such a given applies with Kieran."

"Mr B will remain a companion, but chose to do so without knowledge of his deep Widderkin bond. Kieran and Rhys made the same choice and asked for your trust in not revealing it."

"Of course, but what of Lord Uirebon and Maynor?"

"We trust Uirebon. Maynor will forget."

"He will?"

"Maurice and I will make a visit. As things stand, Kieran's persona is keyed directly to Maynor's mind and we need to transfer that to Maurice for safekeeping."

"I wondered how Kieran would resolve the dilemma with Pethron. You advised him?"

"Only that he should discuss it with Rhys. He had already spoken with Mr B by the time we shared our thoughts."

"He wishes to formalise this trust with me?"

"He wishes to offer trust on a personal level because, though he his memories tell him otherwise, you are his father."

Ranevargar dismissed the privacy ward and indicated all the enquiring looks.

"Kieran is ready to transport us to the Oasis Grove."

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 7
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The high king is no fool and suspects there is much more to all this despite all that Ranevargar has admitted so far...

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

The high king is no fool and suspects there is much more to all this despite all that Ranevargar has admitted so far...

You're exactly spot on, Dave. I wonder if Tan's 'truth calling' with the three Realm Rulers might have opened Ranevargar's eyes to the possibility of more cooperative times ahead.

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ranevargar’s irreverent appreciation for Rhys’ irreverent appreciation for a little pig’s irreverent behavior is providing some much needed  irreverent mood adjustments; which seems to be providing some new and much needed appreciation for the irreverent humans!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Ranevargar’s irreverent appreciation for Rhys’ irreverent appreciation for a little pig’s irreverent behavior is providing some much needed  irreverent mood adjustments; which seems to be providing some new and much needed appreciation for the irreverent humans!

Well said, Your Reverence! :)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Again an awesome chapter, but even more questions than answers.  SOP for you my friend LOL.  I hope that you are not getting too much smoke where you are, we had a dose here which was pretty spectacular but disturbing at the same time considering the distance between our homelands.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

It seems to me, as Ranevargar has disclosed much the same, Kieran, the companions, the Opal, and the Pure White are far from understood. While Uirebon’s research has yielded some information it would seem to lack context

I believe once this information is theorized for context by the King of Old, Ranevargar, aided by the High King and High Council, a hypothesis will start to flesh out. Then the translation to the Oasis Grove will be far more than any could expect. The New Realm Lord Kieran, his Council of Companions, and the All Powerful Realm Guardian, will be refining and testing the hypothesis until yet another huge new proof may reveal more secrets of the ancients to our favorite group of irreverent 😝 young men.

Oops, my mind is wandering the wondering perhaps too much, but it could happen, right? 😂 I’m loving the story and suspenseful thrill for the chapters to reveal.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Dathi said:

Again an awesome chapter, but even more questions than answers.  SOP for you my friend LOL.  I hope that you are not getting too much smoke where you are, we had a dose here which was pretty spectacular but disturbing at the same time considering the distance between our homelands.

 

Thanks for your kind words and for your thoughts about the fires. We've had some smoke haze in my area, and more predicted for the next couple of days, but it's minor compared to the east of the state and minute compared to the Eastern Seaboard where people needed respiratory masks. It was reported today that the smoke had also reached all the way to South America. - astonishing.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Philippe said:

It seems to me, as Ranevargar has disclosed much the same, Kieran, the companions, the Opal, and the Pure White are far from understood. While Uirebon’s research has yielded some information it would seem to lack context

I believe once this information is theorized for context by the King of Old, Ranevargar, aided by the High King and High Council, a hypothesis will start to flesh out. Then the translation to the Oasis Grove will be far more than any could expect. The New Realm Lord Kieran, his Council of Companions, and the All Powerful Realm Guardian, will be refining and testing the hypothesis until yet another huge new proof may reveal more secrets of the ancients to our favorite group of irreverent 😝 young men.

Oops, my mind is wandering the wondering perhaps too much, but it could happen, right? 😂 I’m loving the story and suspenseful thrill for the chapters to reveal.

Yes, there are things happening that seem to be beyond the collective wisdom of Faerie. - what is this black Opal?

Lol! - Wend your wandering way through through the wow factor of Woorawa's works. :)

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 

We're getting more information, but also more things that raise further questions.
I'm glad Agleron will accept his son, but the matter of him having two separate personas remains.  Lets hope that Maynor's 'forgetting' will be successful, and Kieran will no longer have to worry about the man's schemes.

The saddest thing for me now is this: the time will come when Rhys will die, and Kieran will have to go on, perhaps with another Partner.  Does Rhys realize this?

More please, my friend...and glad to hear you are so far unaffected by the bush fires.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yep! Lots of puzzles.

Maynor's 'forgetting' will be completely successful. - Ranevargar's in charge.

Rhys and Kieran discussed the existing Keryth/Pethron bond so, while he still had the memory, Rhys understood the situation completely.

Thanks for your thoughts, M. :thankyou:

 

OOPS! I forgot the quote

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

 

We're getting more information, but also more things that raise further questions.
I'm glad Agleron will accept his son, but the matter of him having two separate personas remains.  Lets hope that Maynor's 'forgetting' will be successful, and Kieran will no longer have to worry about the man's schemes.

The saddest thing for me now is this: the time will come when Rhys will die, and Kieran will have to go on, perhaps with another Partner.  Does Rhys realize this?

More please, my friend...and glad to hear you are so far unaffected by the bush fires.

 

Yep! Lots of puzzles.

Maynor's 'forgetting' will be completely successful. - Ranevargar's in charge.

Rhys and Kieran discussed the existing Keryth/Pethron bond so, while he still had the memory, Rhys understood the situation completely.

Thanks for your thoughts, M. :thankyou:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..