Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,436 Words
  • 1,675 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 44. Chapter 44

Chapter 44.

Kieran held Maynor with direct eye contact.

"Now that they know the extent of your manipulations to the workings of their inner minds, your standing with those at this table is fallen low, perhaps beyond recovery. Nevertheless, for reasons of my own I lay it on this Council to leave you with full command of your mind and your Realm."

Rhys, shocked out of his brain, held back a yell of protest, then almost smiled at Woorawa's gasp of disbelief and Tan and Mr B's stare of frozen disapproval.

"Steady, Rhys. Trust in Kieran and the Maker."

There was no time for a response because Lady Narello, indignation radiating with palpable force, leapt to her feet in angry protest.

"High Lord Kieran, that is beyond acceptance. Lord Maynor subverted my mind. He must make recompense. Without re-education he will certainly worm his way into our thoughts and make challenge for the throne again. He must suffer ..."

In midsentence she froze momentarily then with a sedate nod resumed her seat.

"Wow! Kieran/Ranevargar must have said something pretty powerful."

"Lady Narello, your concerns are cogent indeed but by the convention we have just affirmed, Maynor has the right of Challenge. Now that he is aware of them Lord Uirebon will learn ways to counter the tricks of manipulation. The matter of Challenge must be set to rest while the Realms recover. Lord Maynor, state your intentions clearly."

"Intentions? ... I don't understand."

"Yes, you do. Challenge now or make none for a period of five decades."

Now it was the High King leaving his seat, not with Lady Narello's leap of indignation, but with a gathering aura of the dignity and authority these Realm Lords seemed to be able to switch on and off at will. Well, Kieran could do it better than any of them. Whoo! More drama. Rhys’s eyes darted back and forth then settled on Maynor's intense concentration.

"Maynor is torn with temptation, Rhys. If he prevails against Aglaron the Council will be bound to give him fealty and he will be above consequence for everything he has done."

"Is he strong enough to win? The King looks kind of unreal."

"The High King's look is a projection, Rhys, but Maynor's aggregation of great external power for his unconventional challenge indicates he knew his personal strength would not be a match."

"I hope he goes ahead then."

"You do? ,.. Ah! You want to see him defeated."

"I want to see him whipped like a puppy."

"You conjure strange imagery with your thought, Rhys. Whipping a puppy?"

Maynor studied the High King’s force of presence, and very willing readiness, before turning back to Kieran.

"If I Challenge successfully will you offer proper fealty?"

"Of course … and immediately institute my own formal Challenge."

"… For the well-being of my Realm I accept your terms, but …"

Turning suddenly to address Lady Narello he raised his voice.

"He is Widderkin! The High King’s proclamation is invalid because, no matter his strength, this youth cannot be accepted as a Realm Ruler. He is Widderkin!"

Lady Narello swayed strangely then rose in her place, a storm cloud of indignation transforming her features, and pointed dramatically at Kieran.

"This revelation changes everything and demands I support Lord Maynor's objection. Deny him the title. No ruler can be Widderstricken. Never in all the history of the Realms has this been allowed."

She turned her attention to the High King.

"I insist."

"What's wrong with her, Maurice? She looks crazy."

"Maybe ..."

"Calm yourself, Lady Narello. Your views are strong but unfounded. If Lord Uirebon agrees with Ranevargar's proposal your objection is noted but overruled."

Uirebon nodded his assent and the whole assembly jolted in startlement at Lady Narello's scream of rage, then watched, transfixed, as her hands and arms moved with rapid gestures of power.

"Holy hell! Maurice, she is crazy. What’s she doing now?"

"Calling another Chaos creature ... Her mind is not her own."

Rhys didn't answer because now the High King and Lord Uirebon were also on their feet, gesturing as well, with what must be a counter for the quivering emanation springing to life beside them.

"She's attacking and it feels like a mini version of the Wall. Are we safe?"

"I would have thought not, but the Maker/Kieran are expressing no concern ... I believe they may have been expecting something like this."

A quiet but powerful flow of assurance from Kieran/Ranevargar quelled all the companions’ rising alarm as the sense of weird unreality grew stronger and stronger. Purple coruscations, backed by the yellow of Lord Uirebon's power, sparkled in brilliant display against increasing disorientation from the growing, writhing form.

"It's too strong. The High King's losing."

"Lady Narello has great knowledge of Chaos energy, Rhys, but the Maker/Kieran is ready. Watch!"

And indeed, Kieran's arm left its support of Ranevargar and pointed with gentle but very deliberate intent at Lady Narello. The purple and yellow instantly gained strength as Lady Narello froze in place, transfixed with unseeing eyes. The Chaos incursion now shrank and disappeared, leaving all eyes studying the strangely disturbing statue aspect that Lady Narello had taken.

"Lady Narello is without blame, Aglaron. The Chaos creature was called by a compulsion beyond her control, a hidden compulsion which Lord Maynor will remove before I release her mind to return to us."

Maynor shook his head in denial.

"Lady Narello called the incursion, I ..."

"Maynor."

Those listening sensed reproval, warning, command, all conveyed with the utterance of a single word. Maynor heard more, quailed visibly, then hastily nodded his compliance.

"Yay! That's better. One word from Kieran stops all his blathering. Can you see what happened, Maurice?"

"I saw no use of power, if that's what you mean, Rhys. Just a reminder of the consequences of resistance."

"Every last vestige of influence and compulsion must be removed, Lord Maynor. Proceed so we can continue with the business of this Council."

"The process is lengthy and requires long and deep concentration and you have placed her in a mind state I don't understand."

"Use your emergency strategy and she will be with us in minutes."

Utter disbelief crossed Maynor's features.

"My strategy? ... How can you know of that? ... I ..."

The disbelief faded to acceptance, and with a resigned nod of compliance his eyes closed again.

In the silence that followed Uirebon shared his own disbelief with the High King.

"Can this really be Keryth, my Lord? Maynor's demonstrated mastery of mind manipulation is clearly overmatched. We worked close and long with him before he went to the Old Continent, and while his potential was evident his skills were basic."

"You know very well he is Keryth, unfathomable and transformed somehow, strange in this human persona you have given him. Behind all the difference though, Kieran has the personality and traits of Keryth. I have decided I trust him completely"

Irony flashed.

"Not that I am in a position to do anything else."

"Have you considered the possibility he might have manipulated our own minds in his favour?"

"A possibility with no probability of execution. Kieran has influenced my thoughts with persuasive explanation and discussion and no other means."

Aglaron stopped this communication because Maynor's deep concentration was clearly finished.

"Lady Narello."

The motionless form softened, then transformed with the return of awareness and obvious bewilderment, and turned to Kieran.

"What ... What happened? I was consumed with anger and suddenly I feel at ease."

"I quietened your mind. You were compelled to call a Chaos incursion against us so I quietened your mind while Lord Maynor removed his web of influence and restored your mind to independence."

"The red web? ... It is gone?"

"Yes, the deep web which has influenced your decisions for more than a century."

Lady Narello shook her head.

"How can it be possible. I make my own decisions and my mind has strong protections."

"You think so? Why then did you decide to cede control of all your great Power Masters to Lord Maynor?"

"I ... It was ... I don't know."

"What was the purpose of the power displays at your mutual boundaries?"

"Lord Maynor made contest and I responded in kind. I ..."

"And yet you gifted him with with energy drawn countless times from the Outer Chaos."

"I ..."

"Yes, Lady Narello, the control was insidious and masterful but know with certainty that your mind is now your own."

Lady Narello turned her gaze on Maynor.

"Whoo! Look at that, Maurice. She’s not happy."

"Yes, Rhys. Maynor is increasingly isolated."

"What was that quieting thing when she froze? Do you know how to do that?"

"I don't know everything the Maker knows, Rhys but I hope he will gift me such useful knowledge at some stage."

Rhys's communication with Maurice was now completely interrupted because, in front of the whole assemblage, Kieran's arms were suddenly enfolding him in a great bear-hug. His eyes widened at the unexpectedness and with a happy rush of exuberance he lifted Kieran off his feet and whirled him in a full 360 before looking to see if there was any message as well. Kieran gently bumped foreheads then, after a tingle raising look, took his hand and turned to those watching from across the table.

"Yes, Lady Narello, I am indeed Widderstruck, accept it or not as you will, but know that my Realm is Widderfriendly and my friend and companion will expect any visitor to respect that."

Rhys felt strange when every eye turned on him. That stopped with Kieran's soft laugh.

"Not these four. They are more than friends."

His head lifted to the great golden eyes watching so keenly from above and behind.

"Maurice is the Guardian of my Realm, the protector of those who come with good heart, and foil against those who don’t. Maurice is the greatest Guardian, waken to full potential after 600 years, and a new thing. Maurice, now my friend and companion, is the one who will test intent."

Rhys expected Maurice to make a great roar or rear in acknowledgement with a spread of wings, but instead he lowered his head to receive a gentle touch from Kieran's free hand. Wow! Somehow it was more significant than any display of power.

"Yo, everyone! That’s cleared up mostly everything from our side. We’ll sit down now while the Council works out what it’s going to do about Maynor. Ranevargar and I have to get him by himself for a while but then we’re out of here."

"Is that you, Kieran?"

"About 90% for a while, Rhys. This mind sharing stuff is amazing but it’s really hard work and Ranevargar is relaxing as much as he can while the Council talks."

"What’s going on with the High King? He acts like you, and Maurice says it is not a projection or some kind of trick."

"Yeah! Ranevargar knows everything but I haven't found out properly myself yet. Part of it’s why we need a special session with Maynor but it’s scary complicated and we’ll have a big talk as soon as I get it worked out."

"Scary?"

"Not danger scary ... Whoops! Here comes Ranevargar again, Lady Narello’s freaking out and we’ll have to calm her down again. She looks and feels like she’s physically here but she’s not and it needs our double mind to sort it out."

Lady Narello, who had once again risen from her seat, sat down, closed her eyes briefly, then nodded to the High King with a look that said that whatever she’d been about to say didn't matter.

Aglaron took over and made a series of pronouncements which no one even questioned. In fifteen minutes the Meeting was all over and Rhys, along with Mr B, Tan and Woorawa, as he found out later, was wondering why they’d even needed a meeting about Maynor being confined, along with a lot of gobbledygook limitations, to his own Realm for the next fifty years, most of them about repairing damage caused by the Challenge.

Ranevargar/Kieran offered four of the Ruby gemstones with their great store of energy as a help but otherwise said very little till the High King pronounced the meeting finished.

"High King, other matters are calling us but before we leave Lord Ranevargar and I will speak privately with Lord Maynor. Will you grant us a warding?"

Aglaron looked surprised then hurriedly agreed. At Kieran's signal, Maynor moved to join them near Maurice, where they all disappeared inside an opaque curtain of purple glowing light. Rhys smiled at the curious expressions across the table then shared a look with Woorawa, Tan and Mr B before trying for his own answers.

"Why can't we see them, Maurice? Do you know what they’re doing?"

"I have no idea, Rhys, apart from the fact that it is something extremely important. The High King has simply provided the privacy Kieran/Ranevargar asked for."

"Can you see through it?"

"Yes, but then it wouldn't be private."

"Ha! What's the use of a Dragon who won't do what I tell him?"

"I abase myself at the feet of the mighty Warrior."

Woorawa turned in his seat to give Rhys questioning look.

"What's funny, Rhys?"

"Nothing, just Maurice being cheeky."

"He never gives me cheek. He’s really clever isn't he?"

"Ha very ha!"

Mr B and Tan turned now.

"Shoosh, Rhys! Everyone’s listening. You'll give them a weird impression of Maurice."

"Too bad! Little pigs have big ears."

Mr B nodded because, in essence, he agreed, then wondered if the exchange of smiles between the High King and Lord Uirebon meant they knew they were the target of Rhys's comments.

With a little nod the High King leaned forward and spoke softly.

"Yes, Mr B. The gathered Court listens and marvels at the audacity of a welcome visitor likening their High King to a piglet. Surely, if you were in our position, you would seek to gather every morsel of information you could?"

"Rhys didn't really call you piglets. It’s a saying."

"Of course, but curious words can effect curious consequences."

Mr B puzzled on that and glanced for Rhys's reaction ... Embarrassment ... Maybe a little worry? The puzzling stopped because when the High King's hands moved gracefully in front of him the features of the closest attendant wavered and grew a pig snout. Oh my! The hand movements continued and every head around the courtyard was suddenly a porker watching with twitching ears and a bristly snout. Curious consequence was for sure, and Mr B wondered if the raised eyebrows and questioning look now directed at Rhys was the precursor for the next logical consequence. Ha! Rhys's startled look and sudden strong inwardness meant he was probably yelling to Maurice for protection.

He was.

"Quick, stop him, Maurice. He is going to do it to me."

"The mighty piglet wants protection from the cheeky Dragon?"

"Look at him. You can see it in his eyes."

"I most certainly can. Hold ... I think Mr B is giving his support."

"Think?"

"Yes, he says I should save your bacon. Isn't that support?"

"Very funny!"

Mr B dodged the great whack directed at him.

"What was that for?"

"Making weak puns!"

"Only in my mind. I didn't expect Maurice to pass it on."

"Relax, Rhys. For a moment there the High King was strongly inclined to direct a projection only your friends could see but he wasn't sure how you'd react."

"You’re watching what he’s thinking?"

"Only his surface thoughts, while the Maker is busy behind the privacy ward."

"Wow! Does he know you’re looking? Don't you have to get permission? Ranevargar always does with us."

"This could hardly be called a normal situation, Rhys, but he is aware of the observation and thinks it is Kieran."

"What? You’re listening with Kieran's signature or something?"

"Yo, Rhys! Why don't you turn around and gaze into my golden eyes for a while?"

The sound of Kieran's mental voice made Rhys twist towards the purple glow till the golden eyes part registered properly.

"Holy hell! Don't do that, Maurice. It's too ... I don't know ... too weird."

Maurice’s familiar mental voice returned.

"Yes, Rhys, quite disturbing for a recipient, and I only employ it at the Maker's request."

"Is it hard to do? You must be good if you’re tricking the High King."

"If he looked carefully he’d know, but he holds his mind wide open for Kieran and the Maker in the hope of gleaning information. Kieran's actions have challenged his understanding of what is possible in the Realms."

"And he finds time to think of making me look like a piglet? ... He should turn Maynor into a snake or a headless chook or something."

"Against the protection Kieran has granted and his own guarantee? Hardly. Your reaction has impressed him though."

"Impressed? With me?"

"He is enjoying your slight indignation and comparing it with the image Kieran/Ranevargar gave him of the monster being destroyed by a Spook rope. Of course he is impressed."

"Well don't tell him I yelled for you to protect me then."

Rhys checked the purple privacy ward again but there was no sign of anything happening, then took one of the pieces of honey bread Woorawa was offering around. So nice after days of trail biscuits. Yes, their next food time might be quite a while yet if Maurice was held to Griffin speed. He looked around and took in the strong sense of expectancy from the hushed onlookers crowding the edges of the Courtyard and wondered what they were thinking about. It must be Maurice mostly, especially with Kieran and Ranevargar and Maynor hidden from view and the High King and Realm Lords across the table sitting so quietly. Gods! There were elves lining balconies at every level.

"These are momentous events, Rhys, not least of which is my presence, and all are wondering what it means."

The surprise of Tan leaving the group and walking around the table to approach the High King pushed a query about numbers from Rhys's mind.

"What’s he doing, Maurice? Did you get a message from Kieran or Ranevargar?"

"It's his own initiative, Rhys, quite impromptu. He suddenly decided to talk to the High King while we are waiting."

The High King twisted awkwardly in his seat then, when Tan inclined his head in a low-key gesture, stood to return in kind.

"You are the High King of all the Realms?"

Surprised at this statement of the obvious showed clearly.

"I am indeed, young human. And you are Tan, companion to Kieran?"

"Friend, rather."

The High King's head lifted when Tan continued.

"Lord Ranevargar asserts that you have integrity. Will you be kind to Kieran and give him respect?"

Rhys grabbed Mr B's arm and called to Maurice.

"He just kind of told the High King off. Will he be okay? The King’s staring at him."

"The High King is startled and uncertain and seeks advice in how to respond."

Indeed, Aglaron was in hasty communication with Uirebon.

"Is this a confrontation, Uirebon? What do we know of this youth.?"

"Only the information Maynor took while he had brief contact. Intelligence, thoughtfulness and a sense of calm are the clearest qualities. We know nothing else and those shields make him an enigma. His manner suggests nothing to me but a deep concern for your intention toward Keryth. Answer honestly and from your heart."

"Of course, but despite the air of compulsion I will be circumspect."

"For my part Kieran, the new Realm Lord, has all the gratitude that is within me. My heart is open to him and the respect you seek already approaches the level of awe."

Tan nodded quiet acceptance and faced the Lore master.

"Lord Uirebon, Lore master and Realm Ruler?"

Taken aback, it was now Uirebon's turn to stare.

"My Lord, I feel strangely vulnerable."

A wisp of amusement accompanied Aglaron's reply.

"Answer honestly and from your heart, Uirebon and it will pass."

"I am all those, Tan. What would you ask me?"

"The same question. Will you be kind to Kieran and give him due respect?"

Uirebon rose from his seat and spoke with formal intensity.

"Kindness is a curious request to make of a Realm Lord, friend of Kieran, but I offer it in what measure I can. The respect due for the reclamation of a Realm is beyond me, but what I am able I also offer in full."

"Maurice! What the hell’s going on? They look like naughty kids in front of their teacher."

"Quiet, Rhys. This is beyond me and every detail and nuance must be gathered for the Maker/Kieran's consideration."

"But..."

"Lady Narello, Realm Ruler?"

Rhys, Mr B and Woorawa exchanged disbelieving glances as the formula repeated.

"... The anger of my ignorance was calmed with kindness, friend of Kieran. I am honoured to offer kindness and respect in return."

Tan’s head inclined slightly with his third nodded gesture of acknowledgement then he walked round the table and, ignoring the wondering looks from Mr B, Rhys and Woorawa, sat in his chair and closed his eyes. Woorawa's puzzlement was instantly concern and, dropping to the seat beside Tan, he pulled him close with an arm across his shoulders.

"Is everything all right?"

Tans eyes opened and he was himself again.

"That was ... strange."

Mr B was kneeling in front of him and Rhys, one hand resting on his head in case he needed healing, was yelling Woorawa's same question at Maurice.

"All I see is the bewilderment you all share. He wants to explain because your concern worries him. Listen."

"I’m all right, Woorawa. I think Kieran or Ranevargar must have done something because I had to ask them their true thoughts."

Mr B expressed the watching friends' puzzlement.

"True thoughts?"

"Yes, they all meant exactly what they said. The only ruler Kieran might have to worry about is Maynor."

At this point Tan looked at the said rulers with an expression which Aglaron interpreted as embarrassment and apology.

"What are we seeing, Uirebon? Keryth's quiet friend shows bewilderment for his own actions."

"My Lord, the more I see the less I understand. Mystery increases at every turn. There was an element of compulsion but I discount Maynor as the source. Maybe Keryth sought a stronger affirmation of our intent?"

Aglaron dismissed that instantly.

"Keryth is eager to meet us at Ranevargar's Central Grove. We will seek an explanation then ... Observe the fierce support he receives, Uirebon. It is a real force."

Keryth, no, Kieran, appeared through the purple privacy ward and clearly startled, abandoned both Ranevargar and Maynor and rushed to join his companions. With his hand resting on the quiet friend’s brow his gaze turned to settle for a short time on the Dragon. Aglaron watched as what was clearly surprise ended with and assured nod and a lowering of tension ... Tension??

"Keryth was preparing to act, Uirebon, and the Dragon calmed him."

Any reply was cut off by Keryth.

"Tan is now himself and the impetus for his curious but beneficial approach has passed.

High King, our day has been overly eventful. Lord Ranevargar needs the tranquillity and restoration his Central Grove will give, and the day has been long and trying for my friends. Assist Lord Ranevargar while he gives you control of seven Guardians. He offers three for the High Realm and two each for Uirebon and Lady Narello while the portal structure is dysfunctional, though you may delegate them however you wish. Two protected Guardians will fly to Ranevargar's Central Grove after returning Lord Maynor and his attendant to his Realm."

Assist? Yes, he did look weary. Aglaron moved quickly and was touched by the smile of gratitude as Ranevargar accepted the offer of a supporting arm. Five days of mind and body paralysis was unconscionable and definitely warranted that quite pointed denial of any Griffin transport.

Sympathy and concern were deferred when an unexpectedly robust transfer of information pressed into his mind. Seven links, sparkling with life, sprang into being and along with them the keys for both communication and control ... no, agreement to cooperate rather than control. The aspect of these Guardians made the Fetch constructs looked pale and dreary. Ranevargar’s suggestion to check the new links resulted in a short but startlingly clear view from one of the Castle Ramparts. With eyes like these the Coursers would be redundant.

Impressions and consideration must wait, though, because they’d reached the flank of the Dragon. Ranevargar wished him well and, cutting their communication, took the steadying hand of the Warrior to help with the climb. The Dark Child scrambled hurriedly to help, and after Pethron and the quiet one had followed, Keryth turned to Lady Narello who wasn't quite able to hide her wariness at being so close to the Dragon, and extended both arms to offer the double handclasp of honour and respect. She accepted instantly, but Aglaron noted that, if anything, her wariness increased. The wariness changed to eagerness, even excitement, and Aglaron noted yet another thing to discuss with Uirebon. How could Keryth know that inclusion would be so important to Lady Narello? He’d only just recognised it in her himself ... Was he still in private communication?

"I am honoured, High Lord Kieran, though the prospect of a journey with these Guardians daunts me."

Keryth smile indicated he understood she was far from daunted.

"Lord Uirebon."

Uirebon leapt for the offered handclasp then closed his eyes in concentration while it lasted.

"Through Lord Ranevargar? ... Indeed Lord Kieran. The prospect is exciting and the resources of my Realm will be stretched with assistance to the Gateway Realm, but we will find a way."

Aglaron didn't wait for the offer of a handclasp. He made his own and invested it with all the authority and meaning he could. The personal communication he was yearning came, not as words but as a wash of understanding, gratitude and admiration. The quiet words which followed were short.

"One week, father!"

Keryth, no, it was still Kieran despite the offered bridge, turned to the Dragon then back again with a smile.

"I will scramble this time. Maurice’s ascent will be impressive enough as a display."

Aglaron watched the nimble climb and the lowering of the protective flap, then his thoughts turned so deeply inward that the astonishing ascent of the Dragon was lost to him till Uirebon later shared the memory.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

spacer.png

I can’t get this picture out of my mind; Lord Maynor’s compulsion of Lady Narello, conjuring and waving of arms, as the irrational cry against Widderkin in the court of the realms, is just another manifestation of himself! It ain’t pretty...just funny! 😂 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I would have loved to been a fly on the other side of that purple wall (privacy ward)! Lord Maynor, Neutered for 50 years and not given guardians in lieu of portals, yeah, isolation should be strictly monitored.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I assume the mission for Tan to seek the true thoughts were still somehow linked, to not only reassure Kieran, but to monitor the removal of Maynor’s web from each while the key was applied as recovered from Lady Narello’s healing.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Philippe said:

spacer.png

I can’t get this picture out of my mind; Lord Maynor’s compulsion of Lady Narello, conjuring and waving of arms, as the irrational cry against Widderkin in the court of the realms, is just another manifestation of himself! It ain’t pretty...just funny! 😂 

OMG! Who is that? :o

I have a distinct feeling I should know - but I don't.:facepalm:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

A chapter with a little bit of something for everyone.   Can't wait to get back to the central grove.

You're in good company, centexhairysub. All Kieran's companions feel the same. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Philippe said:

I would have loved to been a fly on the other side of that purple wall (privacy ward)! Lord Maynor, Neutered for 50 years and not given guardians in lieu of portals, yeah, isolation should be strictly monitored.

I love the term 'neutered' - but he did seem to survive the ire of all the other Realm Rulers with ridiculous ease. Hmm!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Philippe said:

I assume the mission for Tan to seek the true thoughts were still somehow linked, to not only reassure Kieran, but to monitor the removal of Maynor’s web from each while the key was applied as recovered from Lady Narello’s healing.

Lol - be careful what you assume! - watch this space. :)

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Palantir said:

OMG! Who is that? :o

I have a distinct feeling I should know - but I don't.:facepalm:

Snape, from Harry Potter; actual the boggart in Nevelle’s vision to render it harmless by laughter.

Alan Rickman, also of Quigley Down Under...lol , ironically.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Snape, from Harry Potter; actual the boggart in Nevelle’s vision to render it harmless by laughter.

Alan Rickman, also of Quigley Down Under...lol , ironically.

Hey, wow! It is too. He's a man of many images.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Interesting take and the point about Widderkin shouldn't be underestimated.

And remember, we still haven't learned the how and why of Rhys' power in conjunction with Kieran.....

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Interesting take and the point about Widderkin shouldn't be underestimated.

And remember, we still haven't learned the how and why of Rhys' power in conjunction with Kieran.....

Yes, very much so, Dave. The acceptance of Widderkin in the Realms looks like it's in for a real shake up - especially with Kieran/Ranevargar announcing that the full force of Dragon power is now backing it. It's interesting to see that the High King's original attitude is now very measured - I wonder if that is another of Maynor's manipulations unravelling?

Whoo! So many things to puzzle over! :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

:hug::read::2thumbs:

Still major--or should I say Maynor things to be worked out--will you let us behind that critically convenient privacy screen?  Us cats want to know!

The link between Rhys and Kieran isn't the only one to be worked out: all the Companions have some special connection that I think goes beyond friendship...perhaps the opal drew them into a new bond that was needed for Kieran to realize his full potential?  And wasn't there some speculation that Mr. B was somehow an agent for the anti-widderkin crowd early on?

Twiddling my thumbs until the next thrill-packed episode.  :heart:  😺

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

It be like peeling onions and just as eye-watering.  Layer below layer, the depths of perfidy are revealed, isolation and constriction of  power will be the most galling of punishments, with the disbursement of empowered rubies; even further punishment.  

Another awesome chapter in this tale of bewilderment and intrigue.  Very well done and thank you for sharing your tale of extravagantly enveloping exciting entertainment.

(Sorry folks I just had to do it)

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dathi said:

It be like peeling onions and just as eye-watering.  Layer below layer, the depths of perfidy are revealed, isolation and constriction of  power will be the most galling of punishments, with the disbursement of empowered rubies; even further punishment.  

Another awesome chapter in this tale of bewilderment and intrigue.  Very well done and thank you for sharing your tale of extravagantly enveloping exciting entertainment.

(Sorry folks I just had to do it)

So are you saying:

W = T x 4E 🤓

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
20 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

:hug::read::2thumbs:

Still major--or should I say Maynor things to be worked out--will you let us behind that critically convenient privacy screen?  Us cats want to know!

The link between Rhys and Kieran isn't the only one to be worked out: all the Companions have some special connection that I think goes beyond friendship...perhaps the opal drew them into a new bond that was needed for Kieran to realize his full potential?  And wasn't there some speculation that Mr. B was somehow an agent for the anti-widderkin crowd early on?

Twiddling my thumbs until the next thrill-packed episode.  :heart:  😺

Hmm! - interesting - Kieran/Ranevargar asked for a 'warding' but it was the High King who made it completely opaque. I suspect the companions will be curious about that too - let's hope one of them asks before too many other things take over.

Yes, you've noticed something that has greatly puzzled Ranevargar. - lol - I've said this before - watch this space! :)

 

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Dathi said:

It be like peeling onions and just as eye-watering.  Layer below layer, the depths of perfidy are revealed, isolation and constriction of  power will be the most galling of punishments, with the disbursement of empowered rubies; even further punishment.  

Another awesome chapter in this tale of bewilderment and intrigue.  Very well done and thank you for sharing your tale of extravagantly enveloping exciting entertainment.

(Sorry folks I just had to do it)

In thinking about this reply I realised:

- the companions are all bewildered about Aglaron and Kieran's apparent leniency towards Maynor, among other things,

- Aglaron and Uirebon are continually bewildered by Kieran's  actions and abilities,

- Lady Narello must be mind blowingly bewildered by the sudden revelations,

- Maynor is pretty clueless about what's happened to him really,

- Ranevargar's keen mind has noticed a number of bewildering anololies,

- KIeran himself is both bewildered and intrigued by stuff (we'll hear soon) that the deep mind merge has revealed.

Lol - it's a wonder they're not running round like 'headless chooks' as Rhys would say.

 

All alluring alliterations are anxiously awaited and approved. :worship:

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Philippe said:

So are you saying:

W = T x 4E 🤓

A mathematical interpretation of a literary observation - Wow!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

:hug::read::2thumbs:

Still major--or should I say Maynor things to be worked out--will you let us behind that critically convenient privacy screen?  Us cats want to know!

The link between Rhys and Kieran isn't the only one to be worked out: all the Companions have some special connection that I think goes beyond friendship...perhaps the opal drew them into a new bond that was needed for Kieran to realize his full potential?  And wasn't there some speculation that Mr. B was somehow an agent for the anti-widderkin crowd early on?

Twiddling my thumbs until the next thrill-packed episode.  :heart:  😺

Yes, the back brief to the companions is way overdue, and uncharacteristic of the team and Kieran. Kieran’s agreement with Ranevargar’s plan has put the companions in trust while the pace of events has bypassed his most trusted advisors and friends; likewise our point of view has been obscured by the same vail of the Ranevargar/Kieran persona and pageantry of the court.

Why is Kieran unable to return or unlock his own memories?

The companions have been linked and/or bonded from the beginning but is that a natural or supernatural magic bonding? Ironic that all roads lead to the Opal and then all roads lead to the realms; and now they find themselves unable to leave; Hotel California?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Yes, the back brief to the companions is way overdue, and uncharacteristic of the team and Kieran. Kieran’s agreement with Ranevargar’s plan has put the companions in trust while the pace of events has bypassed his most trusted advisors and friends; likewise our point of view has been obscured by the same vail of the Ranevargar/Kieran persona and pageantry of the court.

Why is Kieran unable to return or unlock his own memories?

The companions have been linked and/or bonded from the beginning but is that a natural or supernatural magic bonding? Ironic that all roads lead to the Opal and then all roads lead to the realms; and now they find themselves unable to leave; Hotel California?

Lots of thoughts to ponder and puzzle.

Hmm! I think the back brief hold up is partly the press of events and partly because, as Kieran says, 'It's complicated scary'. (Oops! It might be the next chapter where he says that. :) )

I had to look up the lyrics for Hotel California but - wow! - what a terrific parallel.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..