Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 7,016 Words
  • 2,832 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 6. Chapter 6

 

Chapter 6.

For the next two days the College group was exploring and camping at Kings Canyon so it wasn't till their return to Alice Springs that they caught up with Woorawa again. He stayed talking for almost an hour and his news was that the eye doctor had run a whole barrage of tests which all showed his eyes were in perfect condition, and that everything was organised for the special trip they'd planned in their talk at the corroboree. The original plan was for an evening meeting but when Burrimul heard they had a free day for looking round the town he'd been keen take them to a special place called the Valley of the Eagles. Getting there sounded like quite an adventure and Mr B and Rhys were as eager about it as Kieran.

***

"Wow! What a view. It's a wonder a lot more people don't come exploring here."

Kieran agreed with Rhys but he was pleased they didn't. All the places they'd been were spectacular but there'd always been lots of tourists and other people and to have just the five of them made this feel like a real adventure.

"It's a special place for our people, Rhys, and we leave the tracks rough to keep it that way."

Rough was right. When they first left the main road Kieran wondered why they needed the big four-wheel-drive, but in the approach to the gorge itself they had to go into the lowest gear while the vehicle jolted and ground its way through the deep grooves and rocky crossings of a dry creek bed.

"Burrimul, will we have much time down there?"

They were way behind schedule because although the track through the gorge was only a couple of kilometres, there'd been delay after delay for all sorts of reasons. Mostly because Woorawa had to stare at every new rock or boulder or plant they came across, but also because Kieran had been urged to demonstrate his climbing ability. Not that he needed urging.

"That's up to Mr B. He’s our timekeeper today."

"No I'm not. The professor expects us back for the evening meal but we can ring on the cell phone and tell him we’re delayed if we want to."

"The cell phone probably won't work in the valley but it should up here. See if you've got a signal."

That only took a moment and there was. Burrimul pointed downwards.

"See the two rock pools? We’ll make them our base and explore from there."

He lifted his hand and pointed again.

"And see that craggy outcrop with the dark-coloured rock? There's a ledge to the left with an eyrie on it, and round the back there's a cleft where peregrine falcon's nest."

Woorawa pointed in a different direction.

"Look, there's an eagle ... And another one. Are they wedgetails?"

"Yes, those two are, and that one further along is a black kite."

Kieran knew the kite because they were everywhere in the town, but the wedgetails held his interest now.

"Kieran, I want you to stand on top of that rock and call the eagles to you."

Kieran stared at Burrimul.

"Call them?"

"Not aloud. Hold your arm out the way Rhys said you did at Gariwerd and project an emotion of welcome. Your Medusa look and the animal responses might be two aspects of the same thing so I want you to build the same frame of mind but with friendly compulsion rather than aggression. Do you understand what I mean?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Good. We'll watch from further down the track so our presence isn't a disturbance and, Kieran, if anything does happen, try to keep your cool and prolong it."

It dawned on Kieran that Burrimul’s reason for bringing them here was to test this theory. Well, it wouldn't hurt to try and at worst he’d just looks silly. Rhys was nodding his head with a look that said he was definitely expecting something.

"Don't rush it, Kieran. Put yourself in the falconer mood we acted out at Hollow Mountain and I reckon it’ll work again."

After ten minutes Kieran was definitely feeling silly. He'd surprised himself by bringing up the angry feelings that had worked on Burrimul two nights ago quite easily, but switching them positive and keeping the intensity Burrimul mentioned took a great deal of concentration. He was so inwardly focused the first approach of the two eagles gave him such a surprise he lost it. The eagles swept up and away and he struggled to rebuild the aura. Yes, that was a good word, and thinking of it somehow helped lock it in place. Whoo! They were coming again. Was this real? He raised his arm. No, that was crazy. He lost it again and the eagles swerved away. He took a jacket from his day pack and slipped his arm in one of the sleeves, and then again through the other, before raising his arm. The aura came more easily this time and the eagles turned.

Keep calm. Hold the aura.

Another realisation came and he made his mind choose the big one. It circled behind then, with pinpoint control, settled in place.

Keep calm. Keep calm. Hold the aura.

The calmness came and with it a sense that the eagle was relaxed and happy. Kieran looked into the waiting eyes so close to his own. Yes, it really was waiting, but Kieran had no plan. Yes he did. His wrist was straining and the weight hard to manage. Step-by-step the great talons shuffled to his shoulder and soft feathers touched his ear.

Thank you. You are free to go.

That was a feeling rather than spoken and on cue the eagle launched. The aura dispersed and, gathering his senses, Kieran waved to the four watchers and climbed from the rock. Rhys came, racing like the wind, with the others close behind.

"I knew it. I knew it. What was it like? What did you do? Can you get them back again? Was it scary? I thought the claws might go into your arm."

"I think I could, Rhys. I wanted it to my move up my arm because it was too heavy and it knew. It's feathers were brushing against my ear and I could feel its claws but they didn't hurt."

The others arrived, all with looks of wonder.

"The King of our Eagles came at your call, Kieran. That was no chance encounter and Rhys was right."

Rhys grabbed Kieran's arm.

"What did you do? Did you start with the Medusa stare like Burrimul told you? What happened when it was on your neck?"

Mr B laughed.

"Steady down, Rhys. Give Kieran a chance to explain."

"Yes, Kieran. And in great detail please. You appeared to have a degree of control."

Kieran glanced in the distance to the two eagles gliding over a ridge top.

"I really did, Burrimul. I told it to move up my arm because it was too heavy and then, when I didn't have anything else to do, I said thank you and told it to leave."

"I didn't see your lips moving."

"No, and it wasn't words in my mind either. I tried that and nothing happened. It was sort of like I had to feel what I wanted and then it knew."

"Why did you tell it to leave? You could have found out more if it stayed."

"It didn't come for me to do experiments. I just knew it was time."

"Has it made you feel like going to sleep?"

Kieran looked at Burrimul and took stock of himself.

"No. It's nothing like Rhys's hands."

"Good. When we get to the rock pools I want you to try again."

"On the eagles, Uncle? Kieran said he felt it was time to leave them alone."

"I was thinking more of other animals. Rhys mentioned some interesting reactions at the Nature Park."

Burrimul nodded to Kieran.

"I have high expectations, Kieran."

With much discussion and a barrage of questions the party made its way down the track to the largest rock pool where they relaxed and shared the lunches Woorawa had prepared for them all.

"Did you make the sandwiches last night, Woorawa?"

"No, this morning. I was up early, Rhys. I wanted to see the sunrise so I had plenty of time. Did I make enough?"

Rhys hesitated before giving a distracted nod and Kieran knew he was wondering what it must be like to see your first sunrise in nine years.

"Did you see the sunset last night then? It looked pretty good from our campground."

"Uncle Burrimul took me to the town lookout and I had a driving lesson on the way. I want to get my license as soon as I can. Have you got a car, Kieran?"

"No, we're just poor students but the public transport’s good and a tram goes right past the college."

"He's not that poor, Woorawa. He's just won a scholarship for his mathematics."

Maths, wow! I love maths but my teacher is boring. Have you got a good teacher?"

Kieran and Rhys burst into laughter.

"No, he's useless."

"I don't understand. What's so funny?"

Kieran pointed at Mr B who was looking decidedly awkward.

"He's another slave driver. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't even have tried for the scholarship. He’s the best teacher ever, Woorawa."

Mr B shook his head and pointed back.

"Don't listen to him. He does all the work himself. I can hardly keep up and he's a teacher himself. He's been tutoring Rhys and Rhys’s levels have gone way up."

Now it was Rhys's turn to do the pointing.

"And he calls me a slave driver. That's the biggest joke. When we have a half-hour session it goes for over an hour and he won't stop till I catch on."

"So you all help each other? It sounds like your College is a good place. Do they have any disadvantaged students?"

Kieran and Rhys looked to Mr B. He was the one to answer that.

"There's a TAFE section that’s good at that, Woorawa, but you must have TAFE here in Alice Springs?"

"Yes, we do. It's where I've been going but they’ve had lots of cutbacks in staff and it's not as good as it used to be."

"You're not disadvantaged, Woorawa. You can do anything."

"Yes I am, Uncle. I might have my eyes back but I'm still way behind with school stuff, and if I go to a good College I’ll be able to catch up."

Woorawa turned to Mr B.

"Do they have any computer courses at your college?"

"You're interested in computers? Yes, there's a whole range, especially in the TAFE section because they focus on jobs more than academic levels."

Kieran was as surprised as Mr B. His impression of Woorawa was of someone interested in his culture and this wild and ancient country. Burrimul started shaking his head.

"You couldn't go to Melbourne, Woorawa. It's too far away and it's probably too expensive."

"I don't see why not. The blind school in Adelaide would have been more expensive and I'd be coming home just as much from Melbourne. I know some friendly people too."

He looked for a response and Kieran nodded enthusiastically.

"Are you serious, Woorawa? Just because we like our college?"

"I'm very serious, Kieran. My family and my people want me to get a good education and it was all arranged for me to live in Adelaide to go to the special school for blind people there. Now that I don't need it I should go to a proper College instead. Are there any First Australians there?"

Kieran didn't know of any so he looked at Rhys and Mr B. Rhys looked excited and grabbed Kieran's arm.

"Kieran, Woorawa could stay at our house. It would be perfect. We've only got Tan at the moment and there’re still two rooms free. We could help him catch up with all his subjects and we’d have four friendly people."

"Wow! You could too, Woorawa. It would be great. Unless you want to live on campus?

He'd be able to get a place at our College wouldn't he Mr B?"

Mr B nodded but then turned serious.

"Steady. Steady. I have a sense that Burrimul has taken on the responsibility for Woorawa's education and a big change like this might not be suitable or even feasible. Melbourne is a long way from here."

Burrimul sat quietly for a while before answering.

Woorawa is special for his family of course, and for all our people, and none of us want him to leave but we all know his opportunities here are limited. He would have gone to Adelaide anyway but if he’s happier in Melbourne then so are we. I'm worried though, that he might not be qualified for a place at any College."

Everyone looked at Mr B.

"That's not a concern, Burrimul. TAFE’s open to everyone and he'd fit in at whatever level is appropriate. The new semester starts in less than two weeks though so unless you want to wait till next year there would be a terrible rush."

"Next year is too long, Uncle. It would be six or seven months wasted."

"Yes, it would. Do you think we have enough time to arrange a long-distance enrolment, Mr B.?"

Kieran smiled because Burrimul had caught the habit of saying Mr B instead of Peter.

"Talk it over first and let us know before we leave. The Professor is on the College Board and if you want to go ahead I'm sure he'll make it happen."

"Yea!"

Woorawa lept to his feet and with the biggest grin Kieran had ever seen ,danced his excitement with some of the wild steps they'd seen at the height of the corroboree. He pulled Kieran and Rhys up for a big hug then did the same for Mr B and Burrimul. Mr B turned to Burrimul.

"It looks like the conversation might be very one-sided."

The half finished sandwiches were attacked again while Woorawa bombarded Kieran and Rhys with questions about College and the things that happened there. Burrimul passed a drink to Woorawa, told him to calm down, then pointed a few metres along the rock they were sitting on.

"Can you see the little skink peeking from that crevice, Kieran? We’re all going to sit still and quiet while you call him to your hand. I've saved a tiny piece of meat from my sandwich and I want you to tell him where it's hidden."

The skink was a surprise. On the walk down the track Burrimul had said they’d look for another eagle or the kite they'd seen earlier. It might work. Rhys had been convinced the lizard at the nature Park had responded so why not this one. Kieran nodded to Burrimul then stretched his arm and looked at the tiny eyes. It took a moment to push away the whirl of thoughts about Woorawa's eager questions and recall the aura that had worked with the eagles. Yes, saying the word in his mind brought it back. Come on little lizard. Turn those wary eyes to me and feel like you want to investigate my fingers.

No, don't mind speak it. Send it as a feeling.

The little lizard made a sudden dart then paused with its tongue flicking at the rock. Darted again, and again, till it was next to Kieran's pointer finger. Come on little fellow. Move on to my hand. I'm keen to say hello. With one rapid sortie the skink moved to the palm of Kieran's hand.

A moment later it darted to the morsel Burrimul had hidden behind a pebble, then with the meat dangling to one side of its mouth, moved back to the security of Kieran's palm. With a great gulp, which made Kieran smile and lose his concentration, the meat disappeared. It's legs racing so fast they couldn't be seen, the skink scuttled for the safety of its crevice.

"Wow! Did you tell it to go?"

"No. Did you see the way it scoffed the meat? It made me smile and I lost concentration."

"But it did what you wanted and it happened in a much shorter time. Do you feel like you could try again?"

Kieran had a short think.

"Yes, it's tricky keeping focused properly but it's not hard work. Have you got another piece of meat? He loved the last one."

Rhys's eyes widened.

"Could you tell what he was thinking? ... Or was it just the way he gobbled it down?"

That startled Kieran and he had another think.

"I don't know. That was the moment when I lost it."

"There are frogs in this pool, Kieran. See if you can call them to you."

"Frogs? I can't see them, Burrimul. I don't know how to start."

"Are you sure? Have a try anyway."

Kieran pictured a frog in his mind and tried the aura thing. He soon knew it wasn't going to work and shook his head at the quiet watchers. Burrimul stood up.

"Rhys, you go to the far side of the pool and look under those loose rocks. Woorawa, you try near the reeds and we’ll look along this edge. When you find one bring it here and Kieran can have another try."

"A frog hunt. Neat! I haven't done this since I was a kid."

Rhys's yell alerted everyone to success and he rushed back with his prize cupped between his hands.

"Look at him. He's terrific."

Rhys moved his thumbs apart just enough to allow for a view of light green skin speckled with white spots.

"Hold still, Rhys, while Kieran tells him he's not going to be eaten by monsters. Can you do that while we’re all crowded close, Kieran?"

"I think so."

"Great! When he’s calm put him in the water and tell him to wait while you have another try at calling any others."

Kieran switched to the right frame of mind and, yes, seeing the frog made all the difference. After a few moments he gestured to Rhys to release the frog into the water then projected a welcome to any other frogs. The frog that Rhys had just released left the water and hopped close. Kieran saw the wonder in Woorawa's eyes and nearly lost his aura. Yes, that would be an interesting test if he could manage it.

"Put your hand down, Woorawa, and I'll tell him you're a friend."

Very tentatively Woorawa’s hand moved to rest in the shallow water at the edge of the pool. Kieran thought of Woorawa's hand as a friendly, safe refuge, and after a few moments the frog clambered awkwardly into place. Kieran suppressed a surge of excitement and his attention went to the reedy section as he returned to calling any other frogs. That felt like the right place somehow. Yes, a tiny ripple spread as a head popped to the surface. And another. And another. The heads disappeared and Kieran smiled. They were on their way. Burrimul pointed to a different part of the pool with a gentle gesture. Yes, again. There were two more frogs. A few minutes later eight little bodies were lined up at the edge of the pool near Kieran's foot, happy that their big friend was there to protect them. Three were big like the one still sitting in the palm of Woorawa's hand and the other five were much smaller. Enough. Time to send them away.

"He came to my hand when you told him. He was beautiful, Kieran. Did you see his eyes? I could have watched him all day."

"Nine frogs, Kieran. I suspect you called the whole population for this pool. Could you call them again or would we have to catch another one first?"

"Um ... It's sort of like I know them now. I think they'd come but I won't try because it's too soon."

"It's getting easier isn't it? You spoke to Woorawa this time without losing contact."

Kieran nodded to Burrimul.

"Yes, much easier. We'll try something else?"

"Yes, but not animals. I want you to confront Woorawa."

"Confront?"

"With your Medusa look. He's the only one of us who hasn't experienced it."

"What about Rhys and Mr B?"

"No, I want you to direct it just at Woorawa first."

Kieran looked at Woorawa and laughed.

"I can't. My mind's in a happy mode from the lizard and the frogs."

"Yes, you can. You managed despite all the excitement on corroboree night. Force it ... Woorawa’s going to punch your nose in if you don't."

Woorawa looked so shocked that everyone, including Burrimul, had to laugh.

"I didn't mean literally, Woorawa."

"I know ... I was listening with my eyes instead of my ears and it’s so different it mixes me up sometimes."

Kieran was intrigued but Rhys asked the question first.

"Listening with your eyes? That sounds weird."

"I mean paying attention, Rhys. Understanding what you say is different when I can see you."

Mr B interrupted.

"Woorawa means facial expression and body language, Rhys. Nods and smiles and lifted eyebrows are all second nature for us but Woorawa is relearning them. Have you seen him nod to any of us today? I haven't, but I don't think it will take him long to start."

Everyone looked at Woorawa and, of course, he gave an exaggerated nod.

"In the bakery this morning when I went to get the fresh bread the lady behind the counter was speaking quickly and I had to close my eyes to understand her. She went quiet and was staring at me when I opened them again."

"I haven't seen you close your eyes with us."

"It's easier when I know the person, Uncle Burrimul ... What do I do about the Medusa look?"

He raised his eyebrows at Burrimul and the slightly exaggerated manner, showing it was a conscious action, made everyone smile.

"It's frightening. I want you to fight against it for as long as you can and when it gets to you too much, hold your hand up and Kieran will stop. The rest of us will try the same thing in a moment. Is everybody ready?"

There were nods all round except for Woorawa who said yes. Kieran pushed away thoughts of Woorawa's nods and the frogs and filled his mind with aggression. No, that was no good. It had to be only Woorawa. How was that going to work? Make him the bad guy and everyone else the good guys? No, thinking of Woorawa like that was ridiculous. Maybe pretend the others didn't exist? Whoo! Woorawa had both hands up and Rhys and Mr B were backing away.

"Try again, Kieran. We all felt that. Woorawa, fight harder. You're going to last twice as long this time."

Kieran gestured everyone except Woorawa behind him and switched the aggression back in. Woorawa did last a bit longer but when he put his hands up he was quite shaken.

"Give someone else a turn, Uncle. I need a break."

"Mr B, you’re next. You seem to handle this better than any of us. Kieran, can you keep going?"

"Yes, it's hard to feel angry without being angry, but I'm getting there."

Mr B did last longer, but then so did Rhys when it was his turn.

"Kieran, you went easy on Rhys. The effect wasn't as strong that time."

"I did?"

"I think so, unless you're getting tired."

Kieran thought about it and laughed.

"I did too. I didn't realise at the time."

"That's wonderful, Kieran. It means you must have some control over the strength of your projection. It's my turn now and when I give you the signal I want you to start lower than Rhys’s level and gradually build up till I can't cope."

Burrimul moved in front of Kieran, composed himself, then chanted softly before opening his eyes for a go-ahead.

Switching the Medusa look on was getting easier for Kieran but controlling its strength meant recalling his frame of mind with both Rhys and Mr B, picking out the difference, then focusing on Burrimul with a gentler version. Was it working? Burrimul was reacting. Get more forceful.

The soft chanting started again and Kieran lost his concentration. It quickly came back and he pushed harder. Yes, pushing was a good word for it.

Burrimul, still chanting, raised one hand just a little. Kieran eased his push then built it slowly till Burrimul once again signalled with his hand. Several minutes passed before Burrimul raised both hands and moved to sit on a nearby rock.

"Amazing! Let me gather my wits for a moment."

Kieran turned to the three silent watchers.

"Do you know how to do the chanting, Woorawa? It really works."

"I understand the words but Uncle mightn't be able to teach me how to use them properly. I think it’s elders’ knowledge which helped him last so long."

Mr B passed a water canteen to Burrimul who accepted it gratefully.

"I'll teach you now, Woorawa, while Kieran practices his control with Rhys and Mr B."

Burrimul and Woorawa moved away and, till they returned, Mr B and Rhys copped continual doses of the Medusa look, sometimes together but mostly in turn. Curiously, it was hard work for both of them but easy for Kieran, who kept telling Rhys he was a wuss for having to sit down to recover each time.

"It's not fair. All you have to do is look at us and we feel like mental dishrags. It should make you tired or start your migraine or something. You'll be the wuss then."

Mr B laughed at them but agreed with Rhys that it was time for a break.

"There must be more to teaching Woorawa that chant than you'd think. They've been at it for nearly twenty minutes."

"Burrimul’s amazing. He seems to know something about this stuff."

"I get the same feeling, though I think he’s making up his ideas about how to teach you as he goes along."

"I wonder what else he wants us to do? He seemed very pleased when we rang the professor to say we wouldn't be back till after dark."

"I reckon he'll get you to talk to every animal or bird we see. I hope so. The frogs looked like a little fan-club when they were all lined up at your feet. I hope we see a goanna ... What about a snake? Would you be game to try it with a brown snake? On the way in Burrimul said the snakes like these rock pools for frogs and other animals. Hey! I bet he gets you to try to different kinds of animal at the same time. Do you reckon that would work?"

Kieran didn't answer any of Rhys's interesting questions because his attention was on Burrimul and Woorawa who were now approaching.

"I bet I'll be Medusaring while Woorawa does the chanting before we do anything else."

After a series of questions from Burrimul that was exactly what happened.

The afternoon passed with a mix of exploring the Valley and breaks under Burrimul's guidance. Woorawa didn't stop smiling the whole time and posed a never ending series of questions about life at the College, and Kieran's own excitement at the prospect of sharing the house with someone so interesting kept building. When Mr B grilled him about all his school results and his study habits Rhys shook his head in disgust and complained he'd be surrounded by nerd-heads and wanted to know if Woorawa was interested in swimming or any other kind of sport.

"I like dancing, Rhys, and I want to go exploring. Uncle Burrimul was always talking about Gariwerd and he says there are lots of other good places in Victoria."

"Dancing? You mean your special kind or ordinary dancing?"

"All of it, Rhys. It's one of my best things."

"What about Irish dancing? Kieran goes crazy when he puts that on."

"Like this? This is what my friends taught me at the centre."

He put his hands on his hips and did a quick step dance.

"What about the swimming? You haven't said whether you like that."

"I like it but I'm not very good. It was always a bit difficult. Is there a pool at the College?"

"There's a great pool and Mr B coaches us. Kieran cheats because he's got fish blood."

"Kieran's got fish blood?"

Kieran grinned and shook his head.

"Don't take any notice. He trains all the time and he could always beat me till Mr B showed me how to swim properly."

"That's why he cheats. He trains one quarter of the time I do and he’s still faster. It's unnatural."

Burrimul chimed in.

It fits with his climbing ability, Rhys. I think his coordination and balance is probably way off the charts ... Lift one foot off the ground, Kieran, and see how long you can keep your balance with your eyes closed."

Kieran tried and wondered why it was meant to be hard. Rhys and Woorawa lost their balance after five or six seconds. Mr B had a try and found it as easy as Kieran.

"How strong are you, Kieran? Can you beat Rhys in a wrestle?"

Rhys made a pose with his arm muscles.

"He's as weak as water. He’s sneaky, but once you get hold of him he's had it. When he gets too cheeky I squish him."

"Give him some cheek please, Kieran. I want to see how well he squishes you."

Momentarily startled by Burrimul’s request, Kieran had to laugh. This would be fun.

"Rhys can't wrestle. He just squishes me like a big lump of blubber and I have to give in before he turns me into a pancake."

"Blubber? You've had it."

They did wrestle back at College in very much the manner they both described. Kieran dodged Rhys's lunge and sneaked a poke in his side. When he was caught he copped it back tenfold but that was the fun of it, along with the friendly taunts about being bullied.

"See what I mean?" Rhys appealed to the watchers, "He’s as sneaky as animated spaghetti."

"Spaghetti? At least I'm not a blubber mountain."

Kieran's attention wavered at the laugh from Woorawa and he was caught and dumped. A few minutes later he was helpless and complaining about death jabs to his stomach.

"I give up. Go and pick on Woorawa. He's the same size as you."

"No way. He's not cheeky."

From flat on his back Kieran peeked at Woorawa. Yes, he was definitely up for this.

"Wuss! You’re scared the blubber mountain tactic won't work."

That prompted a parting death jab before Rhys stood up. A titanic struggle followed and only finished when Woorawa ran out of energy. Rhys, looking very pleased with himself, turned to Kieran.

"Now you're in trouble, Kieran. You've got another blubber mountain to beat."

Woorawa was no blubber mountain but Rhys was right. There was no way Kieran would be a match. Burrimul picked up his backpack and pointed.

"You can play after we've checked out the peregrine site."

Woorawa stopped dusting the sand from his shirt and shorts.

"The peregrines? Are you going to get Kieran to call them?"

"Why not?"

***

Kieran watched the quivering flames of their little campfire and wondered what Burrimul was planning next. Probably more of the Medusa practice or animal connections he'd pushed at different stages throughout the whole afternoon. Rhys started calling him the Pied Piper after a flock of thirty or forty corellas followed them for ten minutes, happily perching on any offered arm and deafening the five with the concert of raucous calls he asked for. The pick of all the moments for Kieran though, was the whistle of air as the peregrine falcon stooped past.

Woorawa was feeding handfuls of dried gum leaves to the fire from the stock at his side and watching the increasingly effective flare of the flames and the play of the swirling sparks as the dusk deepened. Mr B and Burrimul were twenty metres away beside the rock pool having an intense discussion about something, and Rhys was quietly entranced by Woorawa's fire activity. Another handful of leaves lit up Woorawa's features and, watching his rapt expression, Kieran wondered, as he’d done so many times since Corroboree night, what it would be like to suddenly be able to see. It must be like living in a new world. Yes, and maybe it was even something like his own feelings about all the strange happenings. On impulse he grabbed Woorawa's arm.

"It feels like we're in the middle of a dream."

Woorawa gave him a searching look then nodded.

"I know what you mean, except it's like I just woke up and everything’s better."

Rhys started a new train of thought.

"What sort of dreams did you used to have, Woorawa? Could you see things? Blind people do have dreams don't they?"

"I have normal dreams, Rhys, but I don't know what happens for people who are born blind. I think they dream with sound and touch and smell instead."

"Smell? I don't think I've ever had smell in any of my dreams."

"Are you sure, Rhys? I thought everyone did."

They both looked for Kieran's response.

"Not very often but I definitely remember smelling that jasmine bush near the College library in a dream."

"What's jasmine?"

"It's a creeper kind of plant with a really strong smell. It's probably too hot for it to grow up here."

Woorawa tossed another handful of leaves on the fire.

"Does that hurt your eyes? Asked Rhys.

"No, is it meant to?"

"No! No! I just can't help thinking they must be sensitive when they haven't worked for ten years ... A bit like when someone switches a light on and you're not ready for it."

"I wonder what Mr B and Burrimul are talking about?"

"You, Kieran. What else? Yesterday Burrimul called all our elders together and they spent most of the day talking about what to do ...We have to say thank you."

Kieran and Rhys were both startled by the intensity of Woorawa's statement.

"You don't have too, Woorawa. You brought us out here for the day and we've had all these amazing adventures when we didn't really do anything. And anyway, it all happened because you were helping me."

Kieran wanted to change the subject.

"Have you ever lived away from home? Melbourne will be a big change."

"We used to go to Adelaide a lot when they were trying to work out what was wrong with my eyes, and then I stayed there for two weeks when I started to learn braille. Burrimul came with me, thank goodness, because I got really homesick."

Rhys grabbed Woorawa's arm.

"Lonely is awful ... But it won't happen at College because you’ll be with us and we'll show you everything."

"I don't think I'll be lonely. There’ll be so many things to do I won't have time to think about home, except when I'm in bed."

"Well, you can sleep in my bedroom till you’re settled in if you want to."

Typical Rhys. Kieran felt like giving him a hug then laughed when Woorawa did it for him.

"What's this Tan person like? Is he ..."

Woorawa stopped because Burrimul came close to the fire and opened his carry pack.

"Take your shirts off boys. This is an important occasion and I want you to be properly involved in the ceremony. Woorawa, will you apply the white ochre please?"

Mr B sat beside Woorawa and set the example by pulling his shirt off. Fifteen minutes later the whole group was most definitely in a ceremonial mood, with their torsos and faces daubed in bi-colour patterns of red and white ochre while Burrimul kept up a soft rhythmic chant.

"Our stories tell us that many lifetimes ago a powerful being passed through our lands and revealed many mysteries to our elders. In some places he forced his will, with compulsion and unusual abilities our wise leaders struggled to resist. His way of ruling by strength clashed with the Councils of our people till a great gathering of healers had to work to banish him from the land. Some of the Councils called him a Great One because he could speak with animals, grant healing with a touch, impose his will on those around, and appear and disappear at will."

Burrimul paused to throw a handful of gum leaves on the fire.

"Our Council considered the powerful magic of Woorawa's sight and the words of knowledge from Rhys, and we agree that Kieran is linked somehow with that being. After today's revelations I believe we have a Great One in our country once again."

By the light of the subsiding flare Kieran took in the force of the stares directed at him.

"Me?" Kieran shook his head. "I'm not some kind of powerful being, Burrimul. I'm just an ordinary person with weird things happening. Why don't you say Rhys? It's his hands that did the magic."

"Yes, Rhys is part of the puzzle and so is Mr B but you cannot consider yourself ordinary, not after what we've discovered today."

"I can't appear and disappear."

"Maybe you just don't know how yet."

"What did the Great One look like, Uncle? Do our stories say anything about that?"

"Not really. There’s a sense that they were human and very imposing in aspect. Evidently there is rock art in Western Victoria which depicts them as tall thin men with long ears."

"My ears are normal and I'm not tall."

"You are thin."

"One out of three, Rhys. And anyone can be thin."

"Not me. I'm thick."

"You said it, not me."

Rhys laughed and made a friendly fist at Kieran.

"You don't look imposing either."

"Kieran does look imposing, Rhys. When he applies his will he’s unforgettable."

"Hey, yes. The Medusa look. That makes it two out of three."

Burrimul reached into his day pack and, when he brought out a small woven bag, Woorawa drew in a breath.

"Is it a Churinga stone?"

"There is a Churinga stone in there, Woorawa, but you won't see it for many years. It's been guarding the artefact which our Council wishes to present to Kieran."

Kieran had learnt something about artefacts a few days ago at the cultural Centre.

"You can't give me any of your artefacts, Burrimul, because I'm not a First Australian and it wouldn't be right."

"This artefact is yours to accept or refuse as you wish. It is not one of ours but it may be important for you."

"Take it, Kieran. I think you should."

Kieran was quite startled at Mr B’s definite tone. Rhys was nodding strongly too, and Woorawa and Burrimul looked expectant.

"Thank you, Burrimul. Your Council honours me and I accept with gratitude."

Burrimul started a soft chant as he reached into the woven bag and Kieran watched curiously. The cupped hands emerged and opened to reveal a nondescript lump of orange tinged rock. The chant stopped and Burrimul held his hand out.

"Take it, Kieran, and close your eyes while you hold it."

"Is something meant to happen?"

"I don't know. Our knowledge says the being used it against us till it was taken from him by the gathering of healers. I can sense nothing from it myself but if my suspicions are right it might be different for you."

Kieran took the roughly spherical chunk of rock, held it in his right hand, and, wondering why it was necessary, closed his eyes.

"It's not very heavy."

"Shut everything else out and reach out like you do for the birds and animals."

Call to a stone as if it was alive? That was such an unexpected idea Kieran had to take it in for a while. Well, why not? So many of Burrimul's other exercises today had made things happen. With the mental switch that was now quite familiar, Kieran put himself into the calling mode that worked for the animals. Nothing happened. The coolness of the rock seeped into his fingers and gradually disappeared. Whatever Burrimul was expecting wasn't happening.

Come on rock. Talk to me."

The feeling of neutrality abruptly vanished, a strange sensation tickled his hand and Kieran opened his eyes in surprise.

"It's making my hand tingle."

Burrimul nodded.

"Keep holding it, Kieran. Has the tingle stopped since you opened your eyes?"

"No, It's spreading."

"You haven't got pins and needles from holding it too tight have you?"

"I'm not holding it tight at all, Rhys, and it definitely isn't pins and needles ... It's nearly reached my elbow. Should I put it down?"

"Do you sense any danger?"

"No, it feels good."

"Keep holding it till there’s no more change then."

The feeling spread, rapidly now, till Kieran gasped with pleasure and disbelief.

"I've got goosebumps except they're all over. My whole body’s tingling."

"Keep holding. Can you feel anything else?"

Kieran laughed. "I don't want to let go. It makes me feel like ... like when Rhys starts giving me a head massage."

The pleasant feeling made Kieran smile and everyone else one else caught it till Burrimul disrupted the moment by telling Kieran to pass the artefact to Rhys.

The artefact passed to everyone in turn now with no effect, except for Mr B who thought it felt slightly warm. Burrimul directed Kieran to hold it again and, against expectation, nothing happened.

"Did you do something different the first time? I remember there was a bit of a wait."

Kieran thought back and remembered his light-hearted command for the artefact to talk to him, tried it again … and the tingle started.

"Hey! I can feel it again."

 

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 9
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 minutes ago, Dathi said:

Another awesome chapter, I find the description of some of the First Australian culture and practices very interesting.  Thank you for these insights along with the very exciting story, very well done.

 

Dathi

Thank you :)

I very much agree with you about First Australian culture. 60,000+ yrs of culture and harmonious interaction with the diverse and mostly harsh Aussie environment boggles my mind.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I second what Dathi said....and am wondering if the orange rock will also interfere with the work of the triads in the other dimension and prevent the headaches?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I hope that Kieran's increasing use of "magic" does not result in backlash from the elves: He was meant to blend in with humans--to be human--and he has instead been linked to the "Great Ones" in view of his extraordinary abilities; and those abilities seem to be growing. I wonder if the elves will try to straitjacket Kieran's abilities in addition to their attempts to destroy his gayness. (Can they erase memories? They can at least suppress them, as Kieran and Mr B. cannot remember their past lives, but it would be tragic for the entire party to lose their memories, or for Woorawa to be re-blinded, to preserve the elves' secrets.) Alternatively, I wonder if Kieran will become so powerful that he can escape control of the elves entirely--perhaps retrieving his memories along the way--in which case he and his human allies might even challenge the elves at some point. So many possibilities!!!

 

More, please. 😍

  • Like 5
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, travlbug said:

I hope that Kieran's increasing use of "magic" does not result in backlash from the elves: He was meant to blend in with humans--to be human--and he has instead been linked to the "Great Ones" in view of his extraordinary abilities; and those abilities seem to be growing. I wonder if the elves will try to straitjacket Kieran's abilities in addition to their attempts to destroy his gayness. (Can they erase memories? They can at least suppress them, as Kieran and Mr B. cannot remember their past lives, but it would be tragic for the entire party to lose their memories, or for Woorawa to be re-blinded, to preserve the elves' secrets.) Alternatively, I wonder if Kieran will become so powerful that he can escape control of the elves entirely--perhaps retrieving his memories along the way--in which case he and his human allies might even challenge the elves at some point. So many possibilities!!!

 

More, please. 😍

Oh my! You sure are seeing many interesting ideas, some which I wish I'd considered.

Remember that Keiran is the son of the High King and that he is 200 years old.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Fully agree with Dathi that the discussion of the First Australian culture and beliefs is very interesting.  I love how this group is seemingly coming together and have now added another  member.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Fully agree with Dathi that the discussion of the First Australian culture and beliefs is very interesting.  I love how this group is seemingly coming together and have now added another  member.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

Many, many years ago (lol - about 50) I was privileged to be invited to stay for a time with First Australian people in a 'bush camp' as they called it - eating wild honey, turtle cooked on a beach fire, and kangaroo - camped under a shelter with no walls and layers of bark for a roof - and having a talk with an Elder which is is strong in my mind to this day.

 

Still one more member to complete the group - next chapter.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have been binging this on a very long weather delayed flight from Florida. You have made it more than bearable and I’m completely absorbed!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..